The Sheikh's Fantasy Girl - C...

By JanVanEngen

Andie May can't believe when her agent calls and tells her, her best selling book has been picked up to be ma... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty - Six
Chapter Twenty Seven

Chapter Thirteen

9.3K 534 30
By JanVanEngen

Shihab looked into the wastepaper basket confused, until he saw the cut-up cord in pieces that he picked up and let it fall through his fingers. He reached in, removed the adaptor and turned in his hand, reading the brand. 

Dell, he swore savagely. She actually thought he had cut up her cord. For what reason? He had no idea. Sometimes he had no idea how her mind worked. He fell into a chair as it hit him. She would never forgive him for this. The evidence was damning.

Deposing the basket onto the floor, he stood and strode over towards the bedroom, she had used, his heart sinking at the sight of the replacement power cord that he had flown in last night. One step forward, two steps back, no, more like one thousand steps back. Knowing how upset she had been about her laptop, and being unable to use it.

She needed to buy a new one with a longer battery life, without being plugged in all the time. He rang his connections, ordering the best, highest performing Dell on the market, fastest processor, huge amount gigabytes, and only the best for her. 

Thankfully she loved Windows 10 and also loved a big screen with a keyboard. She would get the top of the range, the latest model available, and several power cords, so she would have plenty of backups.

****

Andie trotted back to her room with her arms full, stopping at the sight of the blond heading her way, looking for another exit. Distracted by another, called by Miles. "Andie!" She swung around, heading towards him.

"Hi Miles, what can I do for you?" He came up to her and placed an arm around her shoulder, leading her away.

"We need to talk."

"About what?" She asked concerned.

"Some of those rewrite. It doesn't make sense."

Her eyes widened, relaxing. "Which ones?" She asked with interest. It was the same ones she guessed and hoped. Together they walked off, talking over the scenes. She was correct and passed on her idea that he liked, so rushed off to do the rewrites.

Once done, she sat down and began sorting out the pages into chapters. Adding post-it notes on the side of the page of a new chapter, off to the side, sticking out. She kept busy by reading over the chapters, marking mistakes with a red pen, and what needed to change.

A knock at the door had her up off the bed and answered. The last thing she expected when she open the door was Shihab, standing there, a cord dangling from his finger above her head. She looked at it longingly.

She needed that cord. There had to be a way around this. "How much?" Andie asked.

Shihab stared at her in disbelief. "Sorry, what do you mean, how much?" She pointed at the cord in his hand that she had left behind. "Why are you being so stubborn over this? You need the cord, and I replaced it. It won't break me, Andrea." 

He was sick to death of calling her Miss May. Not ever again, and she could glare at him, all she wanted, it wasn't going to change his mind.

She needed to learn, once his mind was made up, he doesn't change it. Like wanting to kiss those impossible thin lips. He wanted to hold her in his arms against him, until she melted against him, instead of this stiff-necked resistant, impossible, woman. 

"And let's make it very clear I did not cut up your power cord. I have no idea how it got there, but someone is out to cause trouble." There were niggles, but he had no proof. He wouldn't put anything past the woman. However, without proof, he couldn't do anything about it. There was no way she would admit to doing such a thing. "Be honest with yourself, why would I do something so petty and mean?"

"How would I know what you are capable of? I don't know you."

"Yes, you do Andrea," her lips pressed together tighter, if possible. "I get it you are peeved at me for some reason that I have no idea about, but not taking this," he swirled the cord in the air, "is just cutting off your nose to spite your face."

Her hip pushed out to one side and arched a brow, arms still crossed, hovering in the doorway, blocking any chances of him entering. "I'm just asking how much, so I can pay you for it."

"Next you would be asking to pay for the fuel of the plane that shipped it here," he grumbled under his breath. Her teeth scraped across her bottom lip, brows pulling down together, thoughtfully. "No, don't even think about it," he warned, wishing now he had kept his mouth shut.

"Then just tell me how much I owe you, and then we are done." He didn't like the sound of that; he had thought he had made up some ground, but now it was bigger and deeper than before, this abyss between them. "I did not touch your cord. How could I? You had banned me from your life," he reminded her.

She shook her head, yet saw some doubt in her eyes. Suddenly fed up, he turned to leave. "When you are ready to grow up, apologise to me for placing a black mark against my name, then you can have it," he waved the cord in the air as he walked away.

Stunned, she stared at his departing back. "It was in your bedroom, so who has been in there?" She asked mainly to herself. He paused and looked back over his shoulder.

"No matter what I say I'm condemned, aren't I?" Sadness entered his eyes and kept on going. 

Andie grabbed at the door frame, suddenly drained. When had it gone so off track? Oh, that's right, Carla bloody Langley. Her heart stilled, blinking rapidly. She had entered the rooms that very morning of the discovery of the cut-up cord. 

Only this morning. She frowned thoughtfully, focusing. She had gone to her room, shortly joined by Shihab. Plenty of time for her to dump the cord. Then again, how did she get to it in the first place? Not possible, they only crossed paths. 

That woman was always with him, and she wasn't.

Closing the door, she went after him.

His long-legged stride had taken him away from her quickly, covering more distance than she thought possible. She went around a corner, stopped still and watched as Carla attached herself to his arm. 

Together they walked off. Wearing another dress that hugged her every curve, assets on display. That said it all. She turned and headed back to her room, where she stared at the closed door. Moaning, she dropped her forehead against the door; only to groan louder, realising she was wearing her pj's bottoms and a loose t-shirt. 

Just shoot her now!

"Miss?" Startled, she spun around, cheeks pink with embarrassment.

"Um, I locked myself out," she explained to a staff member. Nodding, he went off and soon returned with a key, slipped in and opened the door for her. "Thank you so much. I need a key chain around my neck." She rushed into the room, glad no one had seen her, only to wince inwardly. 

She had been charging around the resort after Shihab.

She needed her head read. Sinking on her bed, she went back to what she had been doing before the interruption. Spending the day, and most of the night. She got into bed, then straight back into it, when she woke up again.

The grumbling of her stomach reminded her, she needed to eat, after a long morning going over the printed word that had been fruitful, picking up mistakes, and adding that she hadn't picked up before. 

After yesterday's embarrassing moment, she showered and quickly changed into a long-flowing multi-patterned skirt, hobo style, and white top. She will always change first thing, grab her bag, and rush out, no more lounging in her pjs.

Miles didn't need her, because of all those rewrites she had done. 

So was ahead by a few days when she asked if she could stay here at the resort, he had agreed, not expecting Shihab to be here also,  entering the restaurant near the pool. She faltered at the sight of Shihab and Carla seated together, sharing coffee, heads together. 

No, she wasn't going to hide or run anymore, so walked by, head held high.

"Oh, there is Miss May," Carla bailed her up.

"Ms Langley," she nodded at her. "Shihab." Planning to move on.

"Why don't you join us," Carla asked sweetly. "It must be so lonely eating by yourself, all the time. I don't know how you do it, always alone," she purred.

"Carla," Shihab warned, eyes narrowing. "I'm sure Miss Andie likes her own company."

"Oh, I do," she smiled. "Enjoy your morning." She trotted off, greeted warmly by a waiter and shown to a table, where she settled in, pulling out a pad and pen. A pot of tea was placed in front of her. 

They were getting to know her, without asking. Now that's what she called to service.

However, she didn't order a side serving of Shihab, who joined her at the table, taking a seat without asking. "Yesssss?" She asked cagily.

"Drink up, you are needed."

Her brows went down. "No, I'm not. Miles said I could stay here."

"Well, things have changed. You are needed on the set now."

"But I haven't eaten yet," she complained. He glanced at his watch. "I'm eating on my time." The gesture wasn't lost on her.

"Hmm, well, you are now on our time," he waved at a waiter, who came across. "Please pack up Miss Andie's breakfast, she's having it on the go." Sighing, she packed away her pad and pen, while finishing off her tea.

"So what's the problem? I bet it's those scenes I didn't want to change. It doesn't fit now, does it? I told you it was wrong to change it and would you listen to me. Nooooo, it's my story. I know my people and you are screwing around in their heads."

"If I remember correctly Andrea, I asked you and you said nothing," Shihab pointed out. Her eyes shot back up at him. She had been avoiding his gaze. "They're better, and no, not those scenes, because they are shooting another one, and needs rewriting." 

Okay, she had said that in her head, not aloud about those scenes. And Miles already discussed them with her. She just couldn't think straight around him. 

Also was miffed she had to go back on set when she was so looking forward to sitting here, having breakfast, sipping tea, and writing.

"Damn," she stood to her feet. "I need to change. How are we getting there? Can you take my breakfast with you? And I'd join you, wherever."

"Usual place and you have ten minutes." She rushed off, weaving through people and tables, spotting the blond out of the corner of her eye. Seated at the table she had shared with Shihab, looking far from happy, then suddenly smiled and gave her a little wave. 

Yeah, right, rolling her eyes, fake as a three-dollar note.

The woman was a piece of work and irritated her beyond words. And she didn't tolerate fake people, and she didn't have to pretend to like her. She didn't have to play nice. The woman had been a thorn in her side from the first sighting. 

This was driving her insane; she couldn't get the woman out of her head. She needed to die. A very slow painful death to finally get her out of her head, and life. 

She wished it was that simple.

Changing out of her skirt and top, she changed into a long flowing dress of yellow with blue swirling patterns of flowers, larger at the bottom with flounce sleeves. Pulled her hair free, brushing until it was falling softly over her shoulders and around her face. She placed all her printed papers into a large shoulder tote back. 

Longingly she fingered over her laptop. 

Shihab was correct, she was being childish, finding her phone, and pressing his number.

"Shihab? I'm so sorry. You were right and I do apologise for ever thinking you would be so mean and petty." There was silence on the other end. "Um, I'm on my way." 

She hung up before she made a complete fool of herself and tell him how she felt about him. Of course, he won't forgive her, leaving her laptop behind, in the back of her wardrobe, and headed out. 

Opening the door, she stumbled at the sight of Shihab, standing there, holding out her power cord. She reached for it. He pulled it out of reach.

"On the condition money is never mentioned again in front of me, by you, for anything." Her lips parted. "Tut, tut," he warned.

"What am I going to do with you," she groaned, giving up. "Okay, not one word about paying." He handed over the cord, acting smugly.

"Good, you couldn't afford the fuel prices anyway."

"Shihab," she sighed, taking it, and shoved it into her bag. It was never going to leave her sight ever again. "Hold this for me please," she shoved her bag and tote bag into him and went off to collect her laptop, shoving it into its carry bag, swung over her shoulder. Giving the room one last look over, she spotted her room key, snatched it and then was gone. "Thank you." She went to take her belongings back. 

He only handed over her handbag, carrying the oversized large heavy tote bag.

"This feels heavy," he glanced down at her with a questioning gaze. "New book?" She nodded. He lifted it against his chest and flicked through, much to her horror. "Don't you dare," she warned. "No one sees anything until finished, and that's so raw."

He grinned at her, soaring her heart. It was so much better than the scowls and disapproving look she had been receiving lately. "I want to read the raw material to see how you're wonderful mine works." 

She still blushed at compliments about her writing. 

There were so many talented writers out there that were struggling to get published. The publishing world was tough and can be very fickle. One editor might love your work and others hate it. She had the best editor in the world, an Aussie, who also wrote her books.

"I'm not sure my editor would be happy about that," she pointed out. Had more to do with the fact she was very protective of her work, like a mother hen over a new chick. "Please Shihab," she begged. "I'd tell you what, when I have edited the first chapter, you can do a read-over for me, and give me an honest feedback."

He looked at her startled. "You let me do that?" She nodded. After all, he was her number-one fan. He dropped the bag back at his side as they worked their way to the waiting car.

"Thank you. I am greatly honoured. When?" He arched a brow.

Laughing, she elbowed him. "Impatient man, I would see. When it's ready. Next year," she teased, his face fell. "No, not really. I'm sure you would see it before we finish here." 

Feeling better, with a spring back in her steps, she walked at his side.

However, her heart sunk into the pit of her stomach at the sight of the blond leaning against the four-wheel drive, wearing very tight jeans and a low-cut bright blue top. "I thought the English were supposed to be reserved and have class," she noted cattily. 

She looked vulgar as she had been poured into the jeans, and not one crease.

"Not our Carla," he agreed. 

She glanced up and found him watching her, not the actress. 

Maybe she had read it all wrong. She hadn't seen Shihab go after her in any form. The blond was the one always chasing and claiming him. Not once had Shihab approached Carla. She was so tempted to take hold of his arm, but then wouldn't she be just as bad as her? He was his own man, and didn't need, and probably didn't want, women claiming him as theirs, no matter how tempting.

"Miss May?" She turned around and was confronted with a staff member, carrying a foil tray covered in foil that she took, her stomach rumbling and thanked him.  

Shihab took the offered cutlery and also removed her laptop, so she could balance everything, heading towards the car. Carla hopped into the front passenger's seat. Of course, but Andie did mind, she needed to spread out in the backseat and eat her breakfast.

Nothing had prepared her for when Shihab also lowered onto the back seat she pushed everything off towards the floor. Apart from her laptop that Shihab took and placed on his lap instead. She smiled up at him, while Carla gasped as another slid behind the wheel. 

"I thought you were driving Shihab," she complained with a pout. "You always drive in London," she pointed out.

"Well, this isn't London." He nodded at the driver, who started the car, and everyone buckled in. 

Shihab did up Andie's belt, who had her hands full with her breakfast, then took a napkin that had been also provided, and placed it over her knee. She ripped off the foil to be bombarded with spicy egg smell, and handmade baked beans that she dug into with a fork, moaning with delight. 

Forking some eggs, she offered some to Shihab and placed them in his mouth. "I do love this," she pointed at the spicy egg mixture. "You do have the best flavours."

"Not too spicy?" She shook her head.

"Not at all. So what's going on? I thought Miles had enough rewrites to see him through."

"Sometimes things crop up and have to work around issues, shooting different scenes." She nodded.

"Happens all the time," Carla added. "I'm so surprised Miles even allowed you to stay behind, after all, you're supposed to be on call." Andie shot her a quick look. The blond shrugged. "I guess it goes back to who you know. The perks of the business."

"I don't need perks," Andie noted, digging in for more egg mixture. 

The hairs on the back of the neck stood up on end. She didn't like the woman.

"Of course, you don't," Shihab added soothingly.

Carla shrugged, staring ahead, flicking back her blond hair. "I'm just surprised you have gone down this line Shihab when it's one of your most important projects. I would have thought you would have gone with someone who knows the business and what they are doing. Writing a book is so different from making a film." 

Funny how just the other day she said it was her idea. Caught in a lie, and something she never believed.

"Since I'm not making a film, it's not an issue," she searched out Shihab frowning. 

She had to put up with this? The woman was giving her indigestion. 

Closing his eyes, he shook his head. Of course, sorry, the princess could do and say whatever she wanted. She went back to her breakfast which now tasted like sawdust. She put it off to the side and removed the script. "Do you have any idea what they are doing?"

"There is nothing you can do until we get there," Shihab pointed out. "So what is your new book about?"

"New book?" Carla swung around with interest. "What new book? Have you thought of doing something completely different?"

She shot Shihab an annoyed look. So much for trust. "Nothing, just tossing ideas around."

"Perhaps sweetie, I can help you with certain things. You must admit, you do lack in some area," Carla ran cold eyes over Andie. "I guess from lack of experience."

"I'm sure there is nothing I can learn from you, Ms Langley," she smiled tightly. Removing her phone, Andie plugged in ear plugs and up in her ears, turning on her phone, so she could listen to music. 

Anything was better than listening to her.

The only problem was she didn't want to use up her phone battery. So shut it down, but kept her plugs in and removed the pad and pen, doing doodles. She couldn't concentrate, while she chatted to Shihab non-stop, now Carla had his full attention.

If she heard one more movie star name thrown around, she was going to scream. 

Yes, I get it, not a part of your little movie set world. She only stopped, when Shihab's phone rang and answered, speaking softly in his own tongue. Andie peered across towards the front seat, where Blondie was seated with her smug look before she twisted around staring ahead. 

Andie looked down at the phone in her hand. A blank screen.

Shoving the phone into her bag, she doodled as the blond went on and on and on, she leaned against the door handle. Shihab reached across her, causing her to look up as he pressed the door lock.

"Safety," he mouthed, she nodded and he went back to Carla, speaking softly to her. While she went back trying to drown out her droning tones that were grating on her nerves, so thankful they didn't normally travel together. 

Kill me now! Jotting down ideas.

Assassinate? Assassin? Poor deluded innocent Sheikh, who is clueless. She glanced briefly at Shihab, who listened patiently, then across to the animated Carla. The heroine doesn't trust the beautiful, classy blond who buzzes around like some annoying blond bee goddess. Everyone worshipped her at her feet - tripped into camel dung! Andie choked back laughing to snort. Face first. She wrote in big bold printed letters.

The heroine smiled. The evil assassin couldn't expose her true colours though, but did bemoan she was tripped up by the gorgeous heroine, who saw through her act. Fuss. Fuss. Fuss. However, the poor clueless deluded Sheikh did see the tripping - a major blow-up, heroine swearing it was an accident.

Warning one. Then goes after her to see the sudden limping smelly dung-covered precious blond, who glanced back, and saw a glimpse of the true person behind her narrowing hard cold blue eyes of ice. Heartless, merciless, and needed to die!!!!!!!!!! No, far too easy. Torture? Boiled in oil. The rake? Shaking her head. Disgraced and sent into exile. Locked away in a dungeon never to be seen again? She tapped the pen against her pad. 

Must research old tribal punishment for treason. Probably shot.

"Poor deluded sheikh," Shihab whispered in her ear. Startled, she looked up at him with wide eyes and flipped closed the pad. He eyed her closely. "When had one of your sheikhs ever been deluded?" His voice was low and his eyes narrowed. "Perhaps all is not what it seems," he suggested. "And when has your heroine ever been this petty and mean, deliberately tripping up the other women?"

When one gets on your nerves, she didn't say. "There is always a first time," she said instead, dryly. "Maybe, just maybe, one needed to be tripped up," she hissed.

"My advice is don't, always be the better person." She blinked at him, lowering her eyes and started doodling on the pad. Point made. He had known exactly what she had been doing. The blond wanted the part, so give her one.

Andie stewed all the way to the set, seeing red by the time she got there. She couldn't get out of the car fast enough that she nearly tripped out of the car, stumbling to straighten up, the minute the car stopped. She grabbed her belonging, the half-finished breakfast that she dumped in the bin on the way towards Miles.

"Andie!" She waved at Shihab and kept on going, standing off to the side, where Shihab joined her side. "You should have waited," he said in a low voice.

Placing a finger against her lips, she pointed at Miles, because they were filming. He stared at her in disbelief. With his finger, he called her to follow him. Reluctantly, she did, away from the set and turned on him. "Now what? I thought Miles needed me, and please never discuss my book in front of other people."

He raked a hand over his face. "Yes, that was a mistake." He reached out to touch her arm, she pulled back.

"I need to see to Miles' needs. It is the reason I am here. Oh, you're needed," she turned and walked away, heading back where she was, while the blond joined Shihab and claimed his arm.

"Cut," Miles called then swung around. "Andie," he stood from the director's chair, and went to her, where they walked off, heads together.

"Isn't it so nice to see them getting on so well," Carla noted as the director walked passed, going over scenes. "It must be so nice they have a great rapport."

"You could say that," Shihab noted in a tight voice. "Go and entertain yourself. There is business, that needs my attention." He dislodged himself from the clinging blond and went off after them. 

They had gone over to the actors, talking shop, while he was looking in. He was on the outer and didn't like it. Andie was amongst it, listening, adding her thoughts, glowing. She was finding herself.

He stepped in closer and she edged over towards the other side, head down, writing notes. "How's it going? We need to start wrapping up here, and moving on." Being here in the desert wasn't helping his cause. Trapped in one area. He needed to get Andrea alone.

She couldn't agree more, facing another hard day. Shihab was more critical than usual that she was never been so glad to get back to the resort, on tenterhooks. It was like walking on eggshells. She went back with the crew and rushed off before the tears came. 

She was trembling so much and hated being like this. It wasn't her and wanted to go home and bury herself back into the book.

A strong hand grabbed her arm. No, not again, swinging around only to gasp at the sight of Levi. "What's wrong Andie?"

"I'm fine," she gave a wobbly smile.

"Andie, you're not alright," Levi gathered her against him, holding her as her body shook. "What happened pet?"

She shook her head, fist against her trembling lips. "I can't do this anymore. I want to go home," she felt battered and bruised. Where had it all gone wrong? She felt so lost. Surely they were nearly finished.

Levi edged her back, wiping away her tears. "Now don't get any ideas about going home. It's a highly pressured environment, and there can be so much cattiness, mainly because it's such a competitive place to work. You are only as good as your last film."

She sniffed. "Yes, you are only as good as your last book."

"What I have read about you, through reviews, you got it in the bag."

"Unless my brain fries or stories stink." Blinking, she looked up at him. "What happened to romance crap?" Colour flooded his cheeks. She laughed. "Don't worry, most men think that way. It was all just old rubbish," she waved away.

"Come on, everyone could see how Shihab feels about you."

Her eyes widened. "Not true."

"He cares for you, that is obvious. Mind you, you are the flavour of the month with Miles." She glared at him, chin trembling slightly. He held up his hands. "That's a good thing. Everyone respects your view Andie, especially Kathie and me, once we accepted you did know what you were talking about. The emotional side, we have seen it for ourselves."

"Sorry, how?" She asked curiously, wiping at the tears. She needed the distraction and was sick of being on her own.

"How about I show you then we grab something to eat, okay?" She nodded, and stuff what others thought. She was sick of being judged.

Together they went off; Levi placed a protective arm around her, while she clutched at her arms as if she was cold. She was on the inside. He took her to the viewing room and watched over the two different clips of the same scene. The second one jumped out and caught one's breath as she was drawn in.

Covering her cheeks as tears rolled down, taken away by the emotional shoot. The depth of the kiss. Closing her eyes, remember her first kiss with Shihab, shaking over. That wasn't real, just like the movies. It wasn't real, yet felt so real. However, was so excited about the viewing.

Shihab was correct, she did make a difference.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

24.4K 262 8
"I will not listen to any more of your insolent behaviour boy. You brought this on yourself. You marked this young woman and now you must take her as...
53.1K 5K 37
Sheikh Kaden was on a mission to save his brother's wedding. Stop the one causing issues, so kidnapped her and took her back to his Middle Eastern ho...
87.2K 4.3K 21
"I thought I told you to stop telling me what to do." I whispered meekly. "I thought I told you that I wanted you here, with me. I want your happines...
319 46 27
A journey of 22 years old aaliyah khan as she skipped many hurdles in her life and through the process learned and lost too many things which made he...