Red Socks

Per Freezemoon

A short story about a cat. Warning : Read at your own risk !! Més

Red Socks

11 1 1
Per Freezemoon

I laid down before her, my tail swishing the carpet silently as I watched her aged self take out a small bucket filled with spools. Her trembling and wrinkled fingers took one out, a beautiful red one, and began to expertly weave the thick string through a tiny-sized half-made sock. I stared at her before the scent of a mouse hit my truffle and I sprung up to chase after it as it ran noisily through the kitchen. I caught it just before it slipped into its hole and I proudly walked back towards her to show her my captured prey. She seemed to notice me and, after she put down her things, patted me softly between my ears. I purred and relished in the feeling of her fingers on my fur. Just as I was going to completely roll over my back so she could scratch my belly, something wet hit my ear. Reflexively I flicked it off before I raised my head to hers and dodged another incoming drop of water. She wiped her eyes and looked at me with a smile, though it felt a bit strange as it wasn't her usual happy smile.

The following day, as I was bathing in the morning sun, a sound came from the door. I remember once when I was outside seeing a two-legged animal like her with blue skin and a box in his hands press something just beside the door. It was a small round button and when touched, would release a series of mysterious bells going off in the house. That day, it was a similar sound and I quickly jumped over to the door to wait for her to open it so I could play outside. She paused and looked at me before she opened the door. I ran outside as I felt my whiskers shudder in the gently breeze that caressed my fur. I glanced at the two-legged outside the doors and felt a pang of familiarity with her. He didn't have wrinkles or curly silver hair like she did though. I paused as I passed a steeled monster that slept just before my home, seeing rows of boxes in its belly.

I met with other cats and played with them like jumping on fences or climbing trees. We even chased after a few stray rats and fled from raging and wet dogs. When I came back home, the big orb of light was already gone and a white pale one was hanging in the sky in its stead. I sprung over my home's low white fence and expected to see her with her arms wide open, waiting for me at the doorstep of a house filled with light and warmth. Instead, what I came about was a black and empty carcass of a home. I stepped into a mud-filled puddle and I tried to shake the loathsome liquid off before I stepped on something soft. I lifted my paw.

Four tiny hand-made red socks.

Continua llegint

You'll Also Like

43.7M 1.3M 37
"You are mine," He murmured across my skin. He inhaled my scent deeply and kissed the mark he gave me. I shuddered as he lightly nipped it. "Danny, y...
226M 6.9M 92
When billionaire bad boy Eros meets shy, nerdy Jade, he doesn't recognize her from his past. Will they be able to look past their secrets and fall in...
235K 1.9K 23
Smut. But not all of it. This book is basically just me, a girl, writing out her fantasies with the men in Call of Duty. I do take requests.
55.1M 1.8M 66
Henley agrees to pretend to date millionaire Bennett Calloway for a fee, falling in love as she wonders - how is he involved in her brother's false c...