Fireborn

By Carolyn_Hill

[Exciting news! This story is now 100% free!] A young sorceress, sworn to protect life at all costs, must cho... More

1 ¦ The Vision
2 ¦ Ribbons of Honor
3 ¦ Clash of Classes
4 ¦ A Brush with Death
5 ¦ Secrets and Theories
6 ¦ Surprise Return
7 ¦ Fateful Fight
8 ¦ Frenzied Firebrands
9 ¦ The Dead Arise
10 ¦ Chameleon
11 ¦ Lonely Road
12 ¦ Study Buddies
13 ¦ Body and Soul
14 ¦ The Tree of Life
15 ¦ Vengeful Quest
16 ¦ Pacifists and Patriots
17 ¦ True Test
18 ¦ Horrors of Halden
19 ¦ The Shadow Riders
20 ¦ Aftermath
21 ¦ Grief Beyond Measure
22 ¦ A Glimmer of Hope
23 ¦ Souls in the Balance
24 ¦ Demon Queen
25 ¦ Heart Blood
26 ¦ The Final Vision
28 ¦ Journey to Castle Teufelwald
29 ¦ Just a Pawn
30 ¦ Transformation
31 ¦ Terrors of the Night
32 ¦ Fiery Rage
33 ¦ Basic Training
34 ¦ Let the Ashes Fall
35 ¦ My Sister, the Spitfire
36 ¦ Drill Sergeant Ironfist
37 ¦ In Defense of Honor
38 ¦ The Best-Laid Plans
39 ¦ Battle Preparations
40 ¦ Deception and Lies
41 ¦ Captain Alaria
42 ¦ Battle of Minningen
43 ¦ Our Darkest Hour
44 ¦ Demise of Darkness
45 ¦ The War to End All Wars
46 ¦ Medal of Honor
Epilogue ¦ Forsworn
Appendix: Glossary and Magic System
Final Author's Note

27 ¦ Bittersweet News

8.2K 712 83
By Carolyn_Hill

While I waited for news about Bragda, time stood still.

Alicia tried to distract me by visiting my room and chatting, but all her efforts were in vain. Every eight hours another vision struck along with crippling nausea and vomiting. My heart thudded whenever I awoke, always with the memory of Bragda's blade against my throat.

Every vision pierced me like arrows through the heart, and I soon dreaded the thought of sleep.

"I can't do this, Peter!" I cried, holding my head in shame.

"They are only terrors," he replied in a soothing tone, wriggling under my hand, inviting me to pet his feathers. "They're your worst fears come to life. It could even be a psychic attack from the enemy. Remember, a vision with my sister will make your medallion glow blue."

"Recurring visions are usually a sign of true clairvoyance."

"Every Sorceress has a different tell. That might not be yours."

"I need Bragda to be okay," I exclaimed, clutching him a bit too tightly. The raven squawked and tried to ruffle his feathers, giving my fingers a gentle peck. "Sorry, Peter."

"I wish I had a humanoid form so that I could properly sit beside you." His human voice smoothed the jagged edges of my soul like lotion on cracked, sunburned skin. "Soon, I will."

I swallowed a lump in my throat. "Why haven't they sent word yet? Have they all died?"

"When I was a Defender, they told us no one could leave the compound other than the guards and your Father except by the express will of the Ministry. For security reasons."

"Do you think that includes us?"

"Possibly. We've pledged to serve your father until the war ends. Who knows when that will be?"

"You won't be able to morph as a Fireborn, will you?" I asked.

"Not until the Tree repairs my original form." He flew to my bedpost. "But as a Fireborn, I will have the strength to fight beside you."

"You can't fight in the war," I exclaimed. "What if you die?"

The raven turned away from me. "I'll return to the Tree of Life."

"I suppose a massive Fireborn has better chances of survival than a raven."

"Exactly." He faced me again. "As long as my Fireborn body lives, I'll fight by your side."

His gray eyes held every bit of the fiery intensity of his human form, and I averted my gaze. "Will a demonic body hurt your soul?"

"Liselle, how many times do I have to tell you?" The raven cocked his head, his eyes stern and forceful. "No matter what cage I reside in, my soul remains the same."

A knock on the door interrupted us, and I leaped to my feet. Without even looking to see who was at the door, I yanked it open to see a complete stranger staring at me with distant eyes.

"Courier for Miss Alta."

My heart leaped into my throat, and I stared at the official decree in his hand. "What news?" I asked, breathless. "Have you found her?"

He handed me the scroll. "Bragda Ironfist has returned."

My heart nearly burst free from my chest.

But after my confrontation with Father, I learned to read even the finest print. Peter's claws tapped on the wooden desk as he paced with anticipation and nerves.

"Oh, gods! It's true!" I exclaimed as I read the official decree. "Thank you!"

Without thinking, I dropped the document and hugged the messenger, who stood bemused, arms hanging stiffly by his sides. Peter cawed with approval.

At the sudden kurfuffle, Alicia came running out of her room. "Is Bragda okay?"

With a sudden gasp of realization, I pulled away. The document had said nothing about her condition. Only that she was back.

"Is she safe?"

"Bragda is badly injured," he replied. "But she will survive."

"Oh, gods! I'm so glad they found her!" Alicia exclaimed as she wrapped me in a hug.

Tears of gratitude and relief welled in my eyes. "Where is she? When can I see her?"

"Miss Alta," the courier said in an unemotional, stern tone. "The terms and conditions of the Creator's agreement have been upheld. I assume you will meet your requirements as well."

Here we go.

"When can I see her?"

"Shall I interpret this as a breach of contract?"

"No!" Alicia and I exclaimed at once.

"Miss Alta, the Creator has demanded your presence at The Hungry Goblet together with the raven before the ninth bell tomorrow."

"So soon?" Alicia muttered under her breath.

I swallowed the lump in my throat. "Shouldn't we all have some time to pack, get ready, and--"

"You had a week to prepare," the courier said in a harsh tone. It reminded me of Father when he was annoyed. "That is sufficient."

"I'll be there, but I want to see my sister first."

The courier nodded as though a puppet master had control of his body. "In that case, arrive by the eighth bell at the tavern for your transfer to Castle Teufelwald."

"Castle Teufelwald? Isn't that restricted land?"

"Yes, of course. Your father transforms and trains the Fireborn there." The courier gave me a wry smile. "You didn't think the Creator made his Fireborn at a dilapidated tavern, did you?"

I scowled at him. "I didn't know we'd be staying indefinitely in a volcanic wasteland."

Visions of eerie labs in castle dungeons swirled in my memory. Strange machines powered by some unknown force, whirring and buzzing with flashing lights and buttons. The mere memory almost triggered the pain from that strange red substance they'd injected into my body.

Had the vision showed me the future? Was that how Father would transform me into a monster?

"Pack a single bag with the items you need. The rest will be transferred to you in three days."

"Can't I get my belongings myself?"

"No one may leave the compound except the Defenders and Couriers who serve the Creator."

Alicia gave me a doubtful look. "For how long?"

"Until you are ready."

That's unsettlingly vague.

"Miss Boldea, follow me."

"What?" Alicia narrowed her eyes at the messenger. "We signed this together, and we're leaving together."

"If you fail to accompany me, you break the heart blood oath," the courier replied.

"This isn't part of the deal," I said in a stern tone. "My friends go with me."

"Nowhere does your contract stipulate that you should travel with your friends." He simply repeated his statement in the same dull monotone. "Shall I interpret this as a breach--?"

Alicia threw her arms up in the air with a frustrated huff. "Fine, I'll go and pack."

"We will send your things to you afterward."

"Not like I have much of a choice," she retorted before giving the courier an evil glare. "The Creator better hold up his end of the deal if he's this strict with us."

"He found your friends--Bragda and Marcus. So he has upheld his end of the deal."

"He found Marcus?" Alicia exclaimed. "Oh, gods! He's alive?"

"And well," the courier said in a firm tone.

"Father can't breach the contract, or he'll die," I whispered. "He must be telling the truth, but I don't understand. The Tree said they were on different paths."

"I don't care," Alicia muttered, "as long as they're both safe."

We clasped each other, anchors for each other in the middle of a tumultuous sea. "We'll get through this."

"I know, Liselle," she said with a heavy sigh as she broke the embrace. "But we'll serve your father until the end of the war. That could take our whole lives."

"We'll find a way. One that doesn't breach the curse."

"Come with me, Miss Boldea," the messenger ordered.

She gave me a tentative hug, her anxiety and fear entering my receptors like icy slush. "You help Peter and Bragda, and I'll find Marcus. Just please be careful."

Pursing my lips, I gave her a curt nod. The messenger did an about-face and escorted her from the building.

Guilt washed over me. Alicia and Peter had stood by my side because they wanted to protect the people they loved.

Father must have kept his word or the curse would have killed him.

But what would the future bring?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

38 0 25
Empire is saved, but the world is still in danger. Kairos Empire: I joined forces with my aunts to drive out the demon king, Uruk'Zu, but we lost Pho...
2.1M 163K 55
Claire fights to prepare herself to fulfill an Unbreakable Promise made in the heat of the moment. A spontaneous adventure north, a catastrophic atta...
283 26 17
"You're a Shifter." This caught me off-guard. A Shifter? I had heard of them, thieves and criminals that are able to shift to the Other Realm using s...
6.2M 402K 66
When a wounded dragon falls from the sky, Claire Evans runs into a cornfield to rescue it. This isn't just any dragon, he's a shifter, one of six roy...