Opposites Attract

By KayMcN17

Two bestfriends Kalise and Shanelle have been sticking it out since the third grade of elementary school. Kal... More

The Morning Of...
Pomp and Cirumstance
Ain't No Party Like A GWC Party
It All Comes Down To This
What Now?
Sticky Situation
Through Thick & Thick
Master Plan
Confessions
Butterflies
Reconciliation

Until Next Time

27 2 0
By KayMcN17

Shanelle P.O.V.

The day has finally come, tonight I will be leaving Texas for good. I would still come back to visit during breaks, but my new home of Washington D.C. was waiting for me. We had just packed up our car and Mama T's. The twins would be split up into cars, and I would be riding with Jon. Lena and Lay would be staying back with Uncle Lance. During fall break he would fly out with the two of them so they can see the campus and my dorm. After loading up the cars, I headed back in the house to help Kelsey.

She would be getting my room now since it would be empty. Her and Kam were getting too old to share rooms anyways. When I come home to visit I would just share the bed with her.

"This is bittersweet, I'm happy to get my own room but I'm mad of the reason.", she announced.

"I'm happy, we've been sleeping in the same area for 14 years, even before birth. I was getting tired of you", Kam laughs.

"You two will be okay, and it was time for you too to separate. Y'all going into high school and will have different friends now. So that way when they come over you won't have to worry about cramping into one room.", Mama said.

We finished up decorating Kelsey room in about an hour. Then we helped Kamryn.

As parting gifts, I took the two of them out to get stuff to decorate their rooms. Kamryn's room was pink and grey. She found a glitter tapestry and a whole lot of fur pillows and rugs. We bought her a butterfly chair and found lights to make her a vanity. Kelsey's room was turquoise and grey. We painted letters that spelled out her name and put them over her headboard. She had tons of picture frames on the wall full of selfies and pictures of the family with her friends.

My parting gift for the little ones were castle shaped tents that light up and a whole lot of dolls. I also bought all of the girls new clothes since everyone would be starting school soon. Selena was finally starting K4, Layla would be a first grader, and the twins are going to be freshmen. Mama had decided to sign Lena up for the same majorette team that Kels was part of and Layla would be doing ballet. Everybody had something to do after school. Mama's hours at worked changed. She now worked from as soon as the girls left up until they came home.

It was hard to come up with a gift for the woman that gave me life, but Jon helped me figure it out. We both bought our moms a day at the spa, Mama T was going to join them as well. It included pedicures, manicures, facials, full body massages, and whatever else they decided to indulge in. I also wrote Mama a meaningful letter but she couldn't open it until she made it back home from dropping me off. Which is why I gave it to Kam.

As for Zay and Kelise, there wasn't many options. We had all went and got matching tattoos. Well Kelise would get hers after the baby was born. I bought my God son a ton of clothing and I got Zay some supplies since he was going off to hair school in New York to be with his man.

Once everyone's rooms were decorated we retired to the couch to have one more movie night as a family. Jon, his mom, and Lani joined us as well. Alana and Selena were sharing Lena's little fold out couch, Layla was sitting in Uncle Lance's lap and the twins were sprawled out across the floor. Mama T, Ma, and Ms. Elayna had gone to bed not too long ago so they could be well rested for this 22 hour drive. Jon and I shared a couch, I was laying on my back and he was on my stomach. Zay had already left for New York and Kelise was on her way.

"Sister, I sleepy. Can I come lay with you?", Lena looked at me rubbing her eyes.

I looked down to see a half asleep Jon.

"Me too bro bro.", Lana spoke.

"Yea come on girls.", he sat up.

In the matter of minutes, the two of them fell asleep. Kelise had already come and we were now outside talking.

"I'm happy we got over that rough patch", she announces.

"Me too, I'm still a little upset but there was no we were gonna throw the entire friendship away."

"I know, it's gonna take some time. But as long as he has his God mommy in his life I'm happy."

"I can't wait for him to get here' I rub her belly, 'he's gonna be so damn spoiled", I laugh.

"Girl Daddy already talking about taking him to golf matches and Kendal won't shutup about him playing basketball. As for Mel, he has this boy's entire life planned out."

"What about Mama, how's she dealing with all of this?", I looked up at her.

"She's her. She still walks around acting mad but she's bought him stuff. We painted the nursery today. I wanted my closet to be it, but Daddy moved his office downstairs."

"It's still a sore subject for her. Trust me, once he gets here she's gonna fall in love."

The time was now going on 11:30 and we were leaving at midnight. We when got to D.C. it would be extremely late so Jon's uncle was letting us stay in house until we were ready to go move in.

"Well bestie, you'll be leaving pretty soon. I'm gonna miss you so much", she pulled me into a hug.

"I know, this still doesn't seem real. I'm gonna miss it here.", my eyes started to water.

"Ughh, we are not supposed to be crying.", she laughed.

Kelise and I held each other's embrace for a long time.

"Wait I have something for you", she got up and went towards her car.

She went into the passenger side and pulled out a gift bag.

"Lise what's this?", I took the bag from her.

"Open it and see."

I pulled all of the tissue paper out and saw that there was more gifts wrapped in paper. I unwrapped the first gift and it was a picture frame that held the very first picture of Kelise and I was snagatooth. My hair had two braided ponytails in the front with the back wild. She had braids with beads and was rocking her glasses that she hated so much. The frame was silver and said "The best memories were created with you."

"Awww Kelise!", I began to tear up.

"But wait! There's more!", she laughed.

I went into the bag again and pulled out another wrapped gift. I tore the paper off and it was a Pandora box. I looked up at her and she turned her head. I opened the box and saw a charm bracelet. The first charm was a baby footprint. Following it was a graduation cap, a half a heart that said best, and a lawyer scale since I was going to school for pre-law.

"I love it so much.", I hugged her.

She raised up the sleeve of her jacket to show me hers. She had the same exact charms, except for the lawyer scale. Hers was a smiling tooth, since her dream career was a dentist.

"I plan on adding more charms to the both of ours. But keep going."

I dug into the bag again and pulled out a mint colored hoodie. It had a collage of our selfies since freshman year. I started cracking up because we looked a hot mess in some of those photos. On the back it said "Kelise's Better Half" in gold sparkly letters. There was also a bunch of outfits with a pair of shoes.

"Okay be right back", she ran to the car and opened the trunk. She pulled out a big box .

"Kelise what the hell is this?", she handed it to me.

"Stop asking so many questions. Dang", She smacked her lips.

I opened the box and out popped ballons that were held down by my favorite candy bars. There were more pictures of us on the interior. There were tons of gift cards to my favorite stores, and an 8 by 10 photo frame with the ultrasound of my God Son. The waterworks were now uncontrollable.

"Here's a letter, but I don't want you to read it until you are completely settled in at school.", she handed me a letter.

"Thank you so much bestfriend, I love you.", I embraced her for eternity.

"Anything for my favorite girl."

This departure was going to kill me.

Kelise's P.O.V.

I had been so emotional for the last few days.

Before Zay left we had a small sleepover with him at the house. Our Snapchats were filled with us dancing, crying, and doing sing a longs. It was super bittersweet. My bestfriends were leaving me but I know they are on the road to success.

For Zay's parting gift I got him a few mannequin heads to help with his dreams of becoming a celebrity hair sylist. Him, Shanelle, and I will all have matching tattos. He was the moon, Shanelle was the sun, and I am going to get the star. The tattoos are behind our ears. I couldn't get mine since I was pregnant. I had also sent some house warming gifts to his loft apartment he would be staying in.

I was now getting the rest of Shanelle's gifts ready so I could head over to her house in a little bit.

"Knock knock Ladybug", Daddy waltzed into my room.

"Hey daddy, how are you?"

"I'm good babygirl, how you holding up?", he took a seat on my bed.

"I'm holding", I shrug.

"Aww princess, it'll be okay. God works in mysterious ways."

"This sucks daddy, I'm supposed to be leaving too. I wish I wasn't so stupid"

"Babygirl, you aren't stupid at all. You just had a small slip up.", got up and hugged me.

"I'll be leaving in a little bit. I'm gonna stay with her until they leave."

"Alright, don't forget to give her my gift card and necklace.", he closed the door.

I honestly wish I wasn't staying back. I had so much going for myself, and a baby was not in my plans. That doesn't mean I was gonna love my child any less. It meant that I had to go even harder now so that he had somebody to look up to. My due date was March 16th, which was perfect because his God parents would be home for spring break.

Zay picked his middle name which is going to be Zaire. I was just waiting for Nelle to give me a first name. His last name is going to be hyphenated until further notice.

"Kendaaaaal", I screamed into the hall.

"He's not here", my brother responded.

"Can you come help me take this stuff out to the car", I giggled at his stupidity.

He walked into the room and grabbed the big box while I grabbed the gift bag, we put the things into my car adn headed back inside.

"Ma, I'm heading out.", I poked my head into the family room.

"Okay, give this to my daughter.", she handed me a gift bag.

"Will do", I took the giftbag, hugged my mother and headed out to my car.

I arrived to her house in no time, it was dark outside and a few cars were parked in the front. I rung the doorbell and one of the girls came to answer it. I'm guessing all of the mothers were sleeping and everyone else was watching movies in the living room.

"Hey Uncle Lance", it's been awhile since I've seen him.

"Heyyy! My favorite niece how are you?", he put Lay in the recliner and stood up to hug me.

"I'm doing good."

"Ohhh so that's ya fav niece now? That's cold Unc", Kelsey said.

"Ice cold", Kam adds.

"All of y'all are my favorites.", he laughed.

"You can only have one favorite", Layla crossed her arms.

"I don't care, I'm the daughter", Shanelle chuckled.

We all laughed at her.

"I heard about your little bundle of joy, congrats", he rubbed my belly.

"Thank you", I shyly smiled, "Nelle can we talk?"

"Yea, Jon help me take them upstairs and we can go outside."

I watched them take Selena and Lani upstairs, and they soon returned. Jon laid back on the couch and Shanelle followed me outside. After us having a long heart to heart I presented her with her gifts. I was glad she liked them.

"Aw man, this is gonna be harder than I thought", she said after our embrace.

"Who you telling. I've been looking at colleges with family housing near the area.", I told her.

"Really?"

"Yeah I can't live under my parent's for the rest of my life. Me and my baby gotta get up outta here.", I chuckled.

"Well next year Jon and I may get an apartment off campus. You and my God son could move in too and we could split rent.", she suggested.

"Doesn't sound bad. Oh wait here, Mama and Daddy sent something.", I went to my car again.

She took the gift bag from me and pulled out the stuff from Mama.

"This is dope as hell." She held up a couple of crewneck sweaters that had black girl slogans on them.

"That is nice, I didn't even know she got those."

She grabbed the envelope from me that had a small box attached to it.

"That's from Dad. He said open the card first."

I held the box for her as she opened the card. Out fell a gift card.

"In this box contains a keepsake necklace. Inside of that necklace is a mustard seed. As long as you faith stay strong you can get through whatever obstacle that comes your way. Congratulations Sweet Pea and Good Luck on all of your upcoming adventures on your road to success. I am so proud of you and thank you for always being that second daughter to me. Don't lose touch, we will see you soon. Love Daddy Young.", she read Daddy's message out loud.

"Oh my, that was so touching. Wth I'm crying again.", she laughed as she dried her face.

"Turn around let me put it on for you", she as so and I put it on her neck.

"Aww it's so beautiful.", it was a set of gold prayer hands in the shape of a heart.

I handed her the $300 visa gift card as well.

"Aye babe, we getting to leave in like 30.", Jon stepped onto the porch.

"Okay, we're wrapping things up now", she blew him a kiss and he went back inside.

"Ughh, the time has come", I groaned.

"It's sooo hard to say goodbye-"

"To yesterdayyyyy' we laughed after I joined in, 'Soo, you've got the name for me?"

"Oh yes, one sec", she ran into the house. Returning right away.

"Here this is for you", she handed me a wrapped gift.

"What's this?", I unwrapped it.

The gift was a baby's first moments book. On the front it had the name Ethan with his ultrasound picture.

"Ethan Zaire Young-Jefferson", she smiled.

"I love it", now I was crying.

"I'm gonna miss my bestie man.", she pulled me into a hug.

We hugged for what seemed like forever once again. In the midst of our hug everyone had come out and started to load up in the car. I didn't want to let my bestfriend go literally or figuratively. She was the only real friend I've had since I was 8 years old and have been inseparable since. We've shared so many memories and her leaving was tearing me apart. She was my better half, the missing puzzle piece to every situation. We are complete opposites, we even each other out.

Originally I was supposed to be leaving with her, we were supposed to be starting this journey together, hand in hand. She was gonna study pre-law and me dentistry. One little slip up and it's all out the window. Zay had hair school in New York, she had Howard in D.C. Then there was me, going to a local school because I messed around and got pregnant. I was full of so many regrets as I held my bestfriend with tears streaming down our faces.

"Well, I guess we will see each other soon", I said as we pulled apart.

She nodded her head as we wiped each other's tears. I walked her to the car and helped her in and closed the door.

"Aight sis, I will see you around Thanksgiving right?", I nodded as Jon hugged me.

"Take care of ya mommy nephew", he spoke to my belly.

"You take care of my bestie", I punched his chest playfully.

"No doubt shawty, take care of bro. Keep his head on straight", we hugged one last time.

Selena and Lay had come out with Uncle Lance. I held her as we waved bye watching them pull off. Once they were out of sight he took the both of them in the house and I stood outside by my car looking into the distance. I hadn't even notice that tears was still falling.

I sat in my car wondering, "Where is life gonna take me now?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.6M 80.8K 49
A new world has begun where humans were no longer at the top. The vampires have taken over and have put everyone else at the bottom. Hatspehut and he...
1.3M 23.5K 19
Taylor and Ty grew up together...they where both orphans with no-one to love them. When they where little Taylor got adopted and Ty ran away to live...
240K 5.5K 22
"Wow Kitten you act like a tiger" He Teased "Shut up" I said blushing "No can do Kitten" He smirked ----------------- Meet Kassie Pitman. She has two...
349K 9K 44
it's just kamryn & her daughter ava until one day kamryn is introduced to avas bestfriend kairi and her father dave. read to find out how kamryn and...