The Vigilante & The Dragon...

De AuthorJMColes

#1 romance fantasy #1Dragonlove, #2 Paranormal Romance highest rankings. Awards: Short list of Writers Recog... Mais

Copyright notice & New Cover Credit
Who Rescues Whom? Ch. 1.1
Smuggling A Dragon Ch. 1.2
How To Save A Dragon Ch. 1.3
The Dragon Awakens Ch. 2.1
Enter the Dragon...Brothers Ch. 2.2
Who's The Damsel In Distress? Ch. 2.3
Dragon brothers vs. Alex Ch. 3.1
Dragons vs. Nightmares Ch. 3.2
Alex Awakens Ch. 3.3
Breakfast with the Brothers Ch. 4.1
A Place to Stay Ch. 4.2
Moving Day Ch.4.3
Brother vs. Brother Ch. 5.1
Couches, Recliners and Who Sleeps Where Ch. 5.2
Breakfast and Back to Work Ch 5.3
Work and Prey Ch. 6.1
Tracking Morgan Ch. 6.2
Teaser Ch. 6.3
In The Dark Ch. 7.1
The Morning After Ch. 7.2
Tracking Alex Ch. 7.3
Who Protects Alex? Ch. 8.1
Alex's Real Work Ch. 8.2
Rile vs. Morgan Ch. 8.3
No Hope Ch. 9.1
Saving Alex Ch. 9.2
Alex Calls Out Rile Ch. 9.3
Learning from Dragons Ch. 10.2
Picnics with Dragons Ch. 10.3
Sparring with Dragons Ch. 11.1
Shopping with Dragons Ch. 11.2
The Search for Cale Begins Ch. 11.3
Helluva First Date Ch. 12.1
Saving Cale Ch. 12.2
Complications Ch. 12.3
Revelations Ch. 13.1
The [other] Dragon Awakens Ch. 13.2
Does He or Doesn't He? Ch. 13.3
Gabe Forbids Alex Ch. 14.1
Patrolling with Rile Ch. 14.2
Brutal Truth Ch. 14.3
No Morning After? Ch. 15.1
Captured Ch. 15.2
Sleeping Arrangements Ch. 15.3
Countermoves 16.1
The Four Letter "L" Word Ch. 16.2
The Walking Dead 16.3
Who Deserves Grace? 17.1
Mimosas and Desertion Ch. 17.2
Love or Hate? Ch. 17.3
An Unexpected Guardian 18.1
First Love 18.2
The End...and a Beginning Ch. 18.3
Bonus Chapter - Shopping with Dragons
Bonus Chapter - Couches, Crawfish, and Cars
Bonus Chapter Snow Storm
Bonus Chapter - Flu
Dedicated to victims of human trafficking
Guardians Give Away Reading Contest Fall 2018

Party Time! Part 10.1

1K 122 514
De AuthorJMColes

At her apartment in the carriage house, Cale headed to a battered television. Alex had made good on her promise to buy one. Gabe sat on the couch, but Rile followed on Alex's heels into the kitchen.  He peered over her shoulder as she opened the refrigerator.

"Give me an inch, jerk," she said when he jostled her elbow as she removed a tray of appetizers.

"Give a female an inch and she'll take a mile," Rile quipped as he relieved her of the tray.

"You've been watching too many movies, or is that your nature?" she replied as he devoured the contents of the tray. "I don't suppose you could take that into the living room?"

"Why? I'm the one that earned it."

"I thought as much." Alex reached into the refrigerator and took out a second tray.  "Cale, will you carry this into the living room?" she called out.

Cale appeared. "Not all of us are gluttons." He shot Rile a baleful look.

"Loser. I won it," he replied around his mouthful.

As soon as Cale left the kitchen, Alex placed a firm hand on Rile's shoulder. "Stop eating a second and put this on."

He looked up at her and she shoved a roll of gauze into his hands.

"I just scratched you," Rile said.

"I know, but the stupid thing is bleeding. I don't mind, but neither of us wants to deal with Gabe if he sees this, right?"

Rile groaned in agreement. "He is a major pain when it comes to you."

"Oh?" She took off her jacket and rolled up her sleeve.

"You should know something about Gabe." Rile dabbed the cut with the end of the gauze.

"What?" The word was full of caution.

"He's to succeed Father as Clan Head. He couldn't wait. He wanted it all, too: beautiful mate, lots of children, and clan leadership." Rile glanced up from his work. The stricken look on Alex's face satisfied him.

"Good for Gabe. He has a future, unlike me. Ow!" She jerked her arm away when Rile pulled on the wound edges.

"Relax. I wanted to make sure it wasn't deep. It isn't. I was taking it easy on you."

"Thanks, you re-opened it." Sarcasm edged her voice.

"I was afraid it was deeper.  Sometimes I lose control."

Alex was surprised that he sounded remorseful. "Rile, it's all right. You have more control than you know.  You could have made gumbo out of me at any time, but you didn't. Which I kind of hate you for. So cheer up, or you're uninvited." She smiled at him.

"I could have, couldn't I? It was your lucky night." Rile resumed his old arrogance. He rolled the gauze around her arm, tied it off expertly, and picked up the tray. "I'm ready to make this party fun."

"I've created a monster." Alex rolled the sleeve over the gauze, shrugged on her jacket, and followed him out. A knock on the front door stopped all of them.

"I hope it isn't the neighbors complaining about the noise," Gabe said.

"Not likely. This is New Orleans."  She put the chain on the door and peeked out.  "Hi, Dr. Dewey. Glad you could make it. Where's your wife?" She threw off the chain and let him in.

"Doc!" the boys exclaimed in happy surprise.

"I couldn't have a party without your best buddy, could I?" Alex asked.

"Mary had a knitting meeting: Irish sweaters this time. Whose victory are we celebrating?" Dr. Dewey asked.

"Must you rub it in?" Alex shot him a look of chagrin. "What do you want to drink?"

"Gin and tonic."

Gabe followed her into the kitchen. "Alex, are you okay?"

"Of course I'm okay. You worry too much, Gabe. Rile wouldn't truly hurt me. I teased him too much and he had to save face."

"I don't know about that. Rile has a short fuse. When he loses control, he doesn't know who his friends are. Once he struck Cale so hard that—"

"You'll never let me forget that, will you?" Rile stood in the doorway, arms folded.

"You are not arguing at my party." Alex linked one arm with Gabe and the other with Rile.  "I've rented DVD's for us. Ever heard of a movie called Plan 9 From Outer Space? It is, without a doubt, the worst movie ever made."

"Sounds like a great choice." Rile said, still sullen.

"It's a cult classic. It is so bad, it's funny.  Wait until you see it," Alex said. "I've been planning this."

*****

Cale entered into the spirit of the movie. Alex kept explaining to Gabe and Rile that it was because it was so bad that people liked it. Dr. Dewey suffered in silence.

"Look how when the car drives down the road, it's daylight, but when they get out of the car, it's night," Rile complained.

"I know, isn't it a scream? Talk about low budget. I love this movie." Alex replied.

"Not a discriminating viewer are you?" Rile asked.

"Admit you like it. It's funny, isn't it?" Alex looked at Cale.

Cale nodded, gaze fixed on the screen.

"There's a good one to ask. Mr. Elite Movie Critic himself," Rile sneered.   

"Rile, the other one is a Bruce Lee movie," Alex said with an enticing air. Dr. Dewey had told her that Rile had found the wiry little guy's moves amazing.

Dr. Dewey groaned.

"Sorry, doctor. Next time you can pick the movies," Alex said.

*****

It was midnight by the time they finished watching both movies. Dr. Dewey had left after Plan 9, claiming that he couldn't bear the excitement of a Bruce Lee movie. Cale picked up remnants of food until she shooed him away.

"No guests of mine are cleaning up," Alex said. "Go home and I'll take care of it in the morning. I haven't gotten a call yet from the temp agency, so I can clean later."

"Goodnight." Rile brushed himself off and headed for the door.

"Thank you, Alex, for the food and the movies," Cale said, nudging Rile for his omission.

Gabe was the last to leave. "Are you sure you're okay?" He took her arm and turned it over.

"Yes, I'm sure. It's not bleeding and doesn't hurt. See?" She patted her arm for emphasis. "Stop worrying. I've survived worse."

"I know." He looked so troubled that she put her arm around his waist as they walked to the back door.

"Gabe, you're a sweetie to be worried." She opened the door and kissed him lightly on the side of his muzzle.

He froze and they stared at each other in shock. Alex almost tripped backing into her apartment and slammed the door.

Once the door was closed, Rile mocked, "Gabe, you're a sweetie—"

Gabe shoved him up against the wall before he could finish his sentence. "Don't you dare hurt her again."

"Relax." Rile tried to push him away. "It was a scratch, and she said she didn't mind."

"Alex would smile as you slid your dagger through her heart. She wants to die. We're here to help her, not hurt her. Now I mean it, spill one more drop of her blood, and I will personally take you out."

"You could try, lover," Rile sneered back.

As Gabe drew back his fist, Cale intervened. "Please stop. Do you want Alex to hear? Save it for later. Much, much later."

*****

In the bathroom, Alex peeled off her jacket and shirt. She unwound the gauze, wincing when she pulled it free of the dried blood.  She shook her head as she looked at the long cut, and flushed it with peroxide. 

What's wrong with me? I actually kissed Gabe! What was I thinking? He was just concerned, that's all.  And what's the point of this sparring? To prove myself to Rile? I don't care what he thinks. It upsets Gabe and I don't want to do that. Then again, what does it matter what Gabe feels? I'm an idiot. Stop thinking about anything but eating, fighting, and dying.

Alex applied antibiotic cream, bandaged the wound, and went to bed. Her sobbing pillow would be drenched tonight.

A/N:

What kind of party would YOU have thrown after that contest?

Alex dared to kiss Gabe! Will he finally take the hint and return some?

Dedicated to:EGTczarzenskawitz

and DianaTheThird

And all my faithful readers! I love y'all!

Continue lendo

Você também vai gostar

277K 10.8K 28
Straight, raven-haired people, they possess unique and unusual abilities; they have such strange power or can it be magic? They are once the healers...
76.4K 4.6K 45
In a world where couples are matched based on their zodiac signs, two opposite signs fall in love but must keep their relationship a secret to avoid...
2.7M 156K 49
"You all must have heard that a ray of light is definitely visible in the darkness which takes us towards light. But what if instead of light the dev...
5.9M 262K 52
"What the hell?" I took a step closer to the mirror, staring at my reflection in disbelief. The person looking back was still me, but at the same ti...