DEAR STORK (Sandhir One-shot)...

By crazywriter1116

'Mom, Dad. I want a baby brother.' 'From where can we get babies?' 'Where did you get me from? We will go the... More

Author's Note

One Shot

1.6K 140 161
By crazywriter1116

TRING.... TRING .....

'Yaay.' All the kids exclaimed in happiness. A young teacher turned around from the blackboard. More than the students, the teacher is relieved with the final bell of the day.

'Okay, class.' The teacher began removing her glasses, with the hem of her floral chiffon Saree she wiped sweat beads off her face. She opened her eyes and gasped seeing the entire class empty.

'Stupid kids.' She said bitterly and picked up the books.

'Hey, Rashi, wait up.' A six-year-old boy huffed trying to match pace with his best friend, Rashi Shekawat. The girl turned and smiled at him.

'Hey, Dev.' She greeted him. Dev joined her and together they walked towards the Mini-Van which was their school bus.

Dev and Rashi were not only classmates but also neighbors. They were friends since they were three, they had met at a daycare. After that there is no turning back, they are best of friends and confidants.

Dev stepped aside and let Rashi climb the bus first and then he followed. Rashi looked for a seat and made way for Dev to take the window seat. He loves window seats. Dev smiled gratefully and sat. Rashi removed her bag and sat beside him. She adjusted her water bottle around her neck and looked down at her shoes. They are clean, good.

There is still time for the bus to start and to kill time Dev decided to start a conversation, - 'What are you doing over the weekend?'

Rashi thought for a while and then replied, - 'Nothing, Maybe Papa will take me to wonderland.' She smiled thinking of all the fun rides. Though she has gone to that place gazillion times she still loves it. She then looked at Dev, - 'And you?'

Dev smiled and then said, - 'I am going to my grandparent's place.' – Rashi's face fell when he mentioned about his Dada and Dadi and all the fun things he does there. Rashi has no Dada and Dadi. Dev noticed her fallen face and decided to lighten her mood.

'You know what Rashi. I forgot to tell you. My Mamma and Papa said me last night that I am going to have a baby sister.' He said brightly. Rashi gasped, her face lit up.

'Wow! Is your mom having a bulging belly? I have seen mom's to be with bulging belly.' Rashi was very excited.

'Not yet, it was only a few weeks ago I was insisting, and they fulfilled my wish only yesterday.' Dev informed.

Rashi felt jealous as Dev gushed about getting a little sister who he will pamper and play with.

'Your parents are the best.' She said sadly.

#########

'Hey, my bacha. How was school?' Sanyukta asked happily as her little munchkin entered the bungalow.

'Yeah, good.' Rashi replied dryly and dropped her bag on the floor. Sanyukta frowned.

'What happened?' She enquired. Rashi shook her head and muttered.

'Nothing.'

Sanyukta watched her climb upstairs. She isn't liking the sad face of her daughter and got worried.

#########

Dinner time,

Rashi played with peas on her plate, a bored expression on her face. She sighed and looked up. Her eyes darted from her father, who is stealing glances at her mother and her mother who is blushing and twirling the spoon with her fingers.

'Mom, Dad. I want a baby brother.'

Sanyukta's head shot up and Randhir chocked on his food.

'From where can we get babies?'

Randhir and Sanyukta gaped at their daughter. Rashi slapped her forehead. She spoke slowly as though explaining to a toddler, - 'Where did you get me from? We will go there and get me a baby brother.'

Randhir and Sanyukta blinked at each other. Rashi's eyes darted from her father to her mother. Her parents turned facing her and began laughing. At first, it was small awkward laughter and when she pointed out what was so funny they began laughing louder; loud awkward laugh. The more Rashi spoke, the louder her parents laughed. Having enough, Rashi pushed her plate angrily and climbed down her chair. Her parents stopped laughing. She huffed and walked away. Randhir and Sanyukta are relieved. They looked awkwardly at each other.

Randhir turned back and seeing the coast is clear he extended his hand. Sanyukta's eyes widened on feeling his palm over hers. She looked at him. Randhir flashed her a naughty smile, he leaned forward and whispered, - 'Our daughter is requesting us with so much love,' – he caressed the back of her palm with his thumb, - 'We should work on her request, right.' Sanyukta blushed looking down, she then composed herself and smiled.

'Stop it, Randhir. You never leave a chance to flirt.' She freed her hand and stood up, a shy smile on her lips. She was about to leave when Randhir held her elbow and she turned to face him.

'No, I am serious.' He stood up too. Sanyukta doesn't protest as he takes the empty plate from her hand.

'Randhir.' Sanyukta giggled as he took a step towards her. She gasped as he lifted her up in one swift movement. She chuckled as he carried her. Though secretly she didn't want him to let her go she kept asking him to let her down.

'Is Mom hurt.' Randhir and Sanyukta stopped on hearing Rashi's voice. Their smile disappeared. They looked at Rashi who stared at them suspiciously.

'Umm, yes.' Randhir replied awkwardly

Trying to take things in control, Sanyukta spoke, - 'Rashi, be a sweetheart and please put the dirty dishes in the wash basin.' – she then glared at Randhir for a split second, - 'Daddy will wash them later.' Sanyukta ignored Randhir's groan. Rashi eyed them for a second before nodding her head. As she passed them, she once again glanced suspiciously at her parents. They forced an awkward smile; again.

'Thank God.' Randhir breathed.

'Idoit.' Sanyukta slapped his arm lightly.

#########

Monday,

Dev happily munched on his sandwich. He looked around and his smile dropped on seeing Rashi's lowered head and sad face. She hadn't even bothered opening her tiffin box.

'Hey, what happened?' Dev asked concerned. Rashi sighed sadly and narrated him the Friday night's incident. She looked up and Dev felt bad seeing tears in her eyes.

'I won't get a little brother.' Rashi sniffed and looked away again. Dev placed his palm on her shoulder.

'Don't be upset, Rashi. I have an idea.' Dev said brightly

'What?' Rashi mumbled in a small voice, she still had her head lowered. Dev patted her shoulder.

'My cousin, Rishi, he also wanted a baby sister, but his parents were making excuses. So, he watched this cartoon, Dumbo, where he understood how babies are born.'

Rashi looked up, she looked hopeful, - 'How? How are babies made?'

Dev smiled and explained, - 'You write a letter to the storks, nowadays you can mail them too and mention them in detail what you want, a brother or sister. And post the letter. It will go to them. They have this huge, huge baby making machine. The make pop, pop babies. And then one of the storks will come with the baby that will be wrapped in a towel.'

Rashi listened attentively but after he had finished explaining she looked at him in disbelieve. 'What? Are you serious? We were made like that. I don't why it's hard to believe.' Rashi said.

Dev felt slightly offended, he replied coolly, - 'Okay, don't believe. You won't get a baby brother then.'

Rashi stared at her tiffin box with uttermost concentration, she then looked up, - 'What is the address?'

########

Randhir and Sanyukta worked in their room when there is a knock at the door.

'Come in, beta.' Sanyukta smiled at Rashi, - 'You didn't sleep yet, sweetie?' Sanyukta asked. Rashi shook her head, she tugged on her nightshirt and said.

'But I have brushed, Mamma.'

Sanyukta looked at her and smiled, - 'Good girl.' Rashi forced a smile and walked up to the bed where Randhir was seated working on his laptop.

'Papa?'

'Haan, my princess.' Randhir looked away from his laptop and sat straight on the bed. Rashi wasn't sure on how to begin, she kept looking at the laptop. Randhir followed her gaze and smiled. He held her hand and pulled her closer.

'You want the laptop?' He asked wrapping his arms around her small waist. Rashi nodded. Randhir smiled, - 'Then all you have to do is kiss your Papa darling.' He forwarded his cheek. Rashi smiled happily and kissed her father. Randhir shifted the laptop as Rashi climbed up the bed. Sanyukta gestured towards Rashi, Randhir shrugged.

Rashi turned the laptop to herself and looked up at her parents. 'Don't peek, papa.' She warned Randhir and he nodded chuckling.

'What are you doing so secretively?' Randhir joked.

'Ordering a baby.' Rashi said not looking up from the laptop. Randhir and Sanyukta froze. There is silence except for Rashi's fingers tapping on the laptop keyboard. After a while, Rashi pushed the laptop and exclaimed, - 'Done.' She then crawled towards her father and kissed his cheek again.

'Good night, Daddy. Good night, Mom.' She smiled at them and walked out of the room. Randhir and Sanyukta still stunned.

########

A few weeks later,

Rashi has lost all hopes of getting a baby brother. She was furious at Dev, - 'I knew it was too silly to be true.' She scolded him. But Dev kept asking her to keep patience.

'Maybe you sent the mail to the wrong address.' Dev pondered. Rashi was sure she typed the correct address. Dev suggested she should try the traditional letter. Rashi was dejected and she shook her head.

'Leave it.' She sighed.

#########

Rashi returned home, she tried to be happy face because she knew her parents will be equally upset if they see her sad.

'Hey.' Rashi is suspicious when Randhir greeted her happily. He seemed more happy than usual.

'Where is Mom?' Rashi asked. She is surprised as Randhir removed her bag and held her hand.

'She is upstairs in the room.' Randhir informed her. Rashi got little worried wondering if her mother is hurt. But her father's smile said something else. Without protesting she followed her father.

Rashi entered the room and found Sanyukta sitting on the bed. She is leaning against the pillow which is pressed against the head post. Her legs stretched. She has her eyes closed as she massaged her forehead.

'Mamma?' Rashi hurried towards her mother. Sanyukta opened her eyes and smiled wearily at her. She opened her arms and Rashi jumped into her embrace.

'Are you alright?' She asked concerned. Rashi looked very closely at her mother. She checked if she is hurt. Sanyukta smiled and held her face.

'I am fine.' She replied and kissed her forehead.

'Your mother is fine. Actually, more than fine.' Randhir said sitting beside Sanyukta's feet. Rashi and Sanyukta looked at Randhir. Rashi is clueless. Randhir looked at Sanyukta who lowered her gaze, a shy smile on her lips. Randhir extended his hand and held Rashi's hand.

'Princess, you are going to get a baby brother.' Randhir informed her and Rashi's mouth dropped open. Sanyukta blushed fidgeting with the back of Rashi's hair.

Rashi blinked at her father for a second before asking, - 'Are you serious?' – Randhir nodded and then Rashi turned to her mother, - 'Mom, is it true?' She enquired happily. Sanyukta held her cheek and smiled, - 'Yes.' She then held her hand and placed her small palm on her lower belly, - 'Your brother is growing in here.' She confirmed.

'Wow! The storks got my mail and they placed the baby in your belly.' Rashi gushed. Randhir coughed and Sanyukta glared at him.

Randhir grinned to himself - Arey beta, someone else has placed the baby there.

Rashi jumped down from her mother's lap and insisted she take her father's laptop and send a thank you mail. Sanyukta requested first Rashi to freshen up. Rashi happily agreed, she is too excited to whine or protest. Randhir and Sanyukta smiled watching their daughter happily hop out the room.

*****************************************************

Okay *hides face* How was the OS, guys? Please drop in your comments and don't forget to vote *hearts*

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3M 58K 104
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC
1.7K 127 6
Awards held to celebrate talent and creativity. A platform to support and encourage desi writers and appreciate their works and efforts. Dive in to n...
5.8K 491 8
#1 in memoryloss 11/05/18 A girl in the edge of death. A man who loves her more than his own life. A fate that threatens to pull them apart. A tale o...
168K 17.6K 23
"𝙏𝙤𝙪𝙘𝙝 𝙮𝙤𝙪𝙧𝙨𝙚𝙡𝙛, 𝙜𝙞𝙧𝙡. 𝙄 𝙬𝙖𝙣𝙣𝙖 𝙨𝙚𝙚 𝙞𝙩" Mr Jeon's word lingered on my skin and ignited me. The feeling that comes when yo...