Darkness (II)

By HeyOreos88

DARKNESS, the second instalment in the Marked Series. Won first place in the SNOWFLAKE AWARDS Werewolf catego... More

FOREWORD
INFORMATION
DARKNESS SOUNDTRACK
PART ONE: DISCOVERY
CHAPTER ONE
CHAPTER TWO
CHAPTER THREE
CHAPTER FOUR
CHAPTER FIVE
CHAPTER SIX
CHAPTER SEVEN
CHAPTER EIGHT
CHAPTER NINE
CHAPTER TEN
CHAPTER ELEVEN
PART TWO: LOST
CHAPTER TWELVE
CHAPTER FOURTEEN
CHAPTER FIFTEEN
CHAPTER SIXTEEN
CHAPTER SEVENTEEN
CHAPTER EIGHTEEN
CHAPTER NINETEEN
CHAPTER TWENTY
CHAPTER TWENTY ONE
CHAPTER TWENTY TWO
CHAPTER TWENTY THREE
PART 3: DARKNESS
CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR
CHAPTER TWENTY FIVE
CHAPTER TWENTY SIX

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

137 15 8
By HeyOreos88

"Of course we didn't know! What on Earth do you take us for, Isa?!"

I didn't even look at Thea as I walked, my strides deliberate and purposeful. "How could you not? He's another Alpha...isn't it your job to know who they associate themselves with?"

I inwardly cursed my bluntness but I couldn't help it. The morning had come and gone, spent staring unseeingly at the whitewash walls. Phoenix hadn't come to see me, nor had anyone else; I was left on my own with only my thoughts as company, giving them the time to fester and grow dark.

Damien abruptly stepped in front of me, so quickly that I had to freeze in order to avoid crashing into his chest. I quirked a brow, trying to appear unfazed, but I was yet to grow used to the speed at which these enhanced werewolves moved.

"This pack is elusive, Isa." he stated, his eyes darkening with barely contained anger. "Phoenix is infamous for keeping his business to himself. We aren't trying to deceive you, nor are we trying to lie to you."

I narrowed my eyes. I felt bad for interrogating my friends but I didn't know who to trust. After all, my mate, the man destined to be my lover, had lied to me without thought. If he could betray me...who couldn't?

"I believe you." I said finally, convinced by the fierce look in Damien's eyes. "It just...it hurts a little, you know? I didn't expect it. I suppose that makes me naive."

It was true. I was naive. Why did I ever think that love would find me once more? It had left me in early childhood, chased away by the sin that hung limply on my shoulders, draping over me like a cloak I had no choice but to wear. No one could tempt it back; not Phoenix, not Thea...no one.

"It doesn't make you naive." said Thea as we walked outside, clasping my forearm gently. "It makes you human."

I looked out into the forest, haunted by the howls that stretched on endlessly, forming one soulful, halting melody.

"I don't feel human." I murmured, wrapping my arms around myself despite the warm weather. "I feel...like nothing."

"You are not nothing." piped up Damien, surprising me. I turned to face him, my eyes filling with tears. "Isa Brown, you are the rightful Luna to the largest pack in the world. These people belong to you. These woods belong to you. The werewolf world belongs to you. You are not nothing...you are everything."

I was about to reply, my heart warming at his words, when a peal of laughter resounded from the far side of the field. I looked over. Terra was there, flanked by Phoenix. Her cheeks were flushed and her arms were open wide as she danced in the grass, golden hair spinning wildly around her. It was not jealousy that hit me but sadness. She was perfect for him and the pack. She was untainted and overwhelmingly happy...I, on the other hand, was broken beyond repair.

As if sensing my gaze, Phoenix's gaze left Terra and settled on my trembling form. I looked away almost immediately, my heart panging with an equal measure of longing and rejection. Thea stared over my shoulder at the Alpha and, having seen my pained expression, gave him the finger.

"Thea!" Damien roared, diving past me to cover her hand with his.

She pushed against his chest, her face contorted in anger. "What? Do you expect me to stand by and watch him get inside her head? No fucking way, Damien."

I dared to risk a glance at Phoenix. He was holding Terra in the way he'd held me countless times before; his arms were wound around her waist and her head was safely tucked beneath his chin. My stomach lurched with unease and I stepped away, unable to bear witness to the blatant show of affection.

"Could I talk to you, Isa?"

I looked at the Beta as he slipped through the door, hands shoved in his pockets. I fidgeted, remembering how I'd threatened him.

After a moment, I nodded. "Sure."

His blonde hair waved slightly in the wind as he beckoned me with a tilt of his head. I muttered a quick goodbye to Thea and followed the Beta, my steps inelegant and cautious in comparison to his easy gait.

"There's to be a meal this evening for the most esteemed pack members to commemorate the Alpha's return." he said softly, glancing at me as he walked. "You're required to attend."

I stilled, anger rising in my gut. Vilkov noticed my silence and turned around, narrowing his eyes.

"No way." I deadpanned, folding my arms across my chest. "I'm not the Luna, nor am I some loyal pack member. I don't have to attend anything."

For a moment the Beta was silent. His eyes swept over my form, lingering on my clenched fists and quirked brow.

He was beside me in a flash.

I stumbled away, shocked by his sudden intrusion of my personal space. His eyes blazed black, a sure sign that his wolf was present.

"I get it. You're pissed off. You have every right to be, Isa. But you need to fight." he said, his jaw clenched. "Terra may be kind but she is not our Luna. You are. You need to fight for that...you need to prove yourself to him."

I looked the Beta straight in the eye and scoffed, my chin lifting upward. "I will not. He is not worth the effort. The only person I will ever feel obligated to prove anything to is myself."

Determination rose in the wake of my sadness. I was determined to make him regret it. I was determined to make him see who I truly was...his worst nightmare, cloaked in the colours of his greatest dream.

"Fine." Vilkov acquiesced, admitting defeat by lowering his eyes. I smirked triumphantly. "But you will still dine with us this evening, Isa."

My smirk died.

"What?" I demanded, my eyes widening. "You're serious, aren't you?"

"You're our guest. It would be strange if you weren't in attendance." Vilkov shrugged.

Judging by the glint in Vilkov's eyes, there was no way that I would manage to weasel my way out of attending.

"Fine." I sighed. "Anything else?"

"Phoenix asks that you hide your mark from sight, though I can see that you've already done that."

I nodded and turned away, though a pang of guilt stopped me in my tracks. I looked over my shoulder at the Beta, who was watching me leave.

"Oh, and Vilkov?" I said, my voice losing its hard edge. "I'm sorry about this morning. I was angry and I took it out on you."

He smiled gently. "It's alright, Isa. It was a privilege to be threatened by you."

I nodded slightly, feeling the weight lift off my chest.

"Oh, and Isa?" he parroted, making me grin. "Show him what he's missing."

I arched an eyebrow. "Don't worry about that, Vilkov. I plan on it."

I practically ran into my room, my mind buzzing with renewed excitement.

I realised why Vilkov was so adamant that I attended. It was my chance to make him regret his decision...it was my chance to feel human again. He'd stolen my happiness and purloined my pride.

Now I would do the same to him.

I hastily unzipped my suitcase, a smirk curled upon my lips. Thea and Lydia had bought me several dresses, though one had grabbed my attention from the moment I saw it.

A flash of blue material seemed to explode in my vision and I grabbed it, tugging relentlessly until the suitcase upheaved its contents. I pulled the dress against my chest, oddly tempted to laugh.

Show him, said the power. Show him who we are.

I removed my clothes in a flurry of movement and stepped into the dress, pulling it with both hands over my form. As I pulled it upwards the material grasped for every curve and subtle bend, clinging to my figure. When I finally got it on I tentatively approached the mirror, my hands wrung together.

I smiled.

I looked good. Pretty, even. The dress, light blue and made of something softer and more sensual than silk, clung to my upper body and revealed the curvature of my waist before draping loosely, sprawling towards the floor with a short train. The upper half was lace and parted at my collarbones, plunging downwards to flatter my cleavage. I spun around, giggling as the material gathered and twirled around me. A slit ran dangerously high up my thigh and the dress was entirely backless.

It was more daring than what I'd usually wear but not overtly sexy. I slipped into a pair of silver, beaded heels and dragged a brush through my hair. After applying a flick of mascara, red lipstick and another layer of concealer over my mark, I deemed myself ready.

Time to make him regret everything.

I slid out of the door, walking with deliberate purposefulness, my saunter sharpening the click of my heels as they hit the floor. Thea emerged to my right and I faltered, offering her a smile. She looked inhumanly beautiful, donning a red dress that clung to her figure, stopping just above her knees. Damien took her hand, gazing softly at her. The look in his eyes...it made me quietly envious. Their relationship seemed so perfect.

"You look hot." said Thea, who looked me up and down with a grin. "Doesn't she, Damien?"

He looked at me warmly. "I would say yes, Isa, but if I do, Thea will fucking dismember me."

"Too right I will." she said smugly, before realisation dawned upon her and she shouted, "wait, WHAT?"

I grinned and skipped forward, devious excitement blaring in my mind. Thea caught up with me within moments, dragging an exasperated Damien with her.

"Is this your way of exacting revenge on Phoenix?" she asked, her eyes glinting mischievously.

I shrugged. "Perhaps."

We converged with a small crowd of people at the foot of the stairs. There were a few girls, all wearing pretty dresses and warm smiles, chatting animatedly, pointing in passing to any men they deemed attractive. I shuffled closer to Thea, worried that they may recognise me as a Huntress, though I only received a couple of appreciative looks from men.

"Everyone seems...happy." I remarked, narrowing my eyes.

"Dining with your closest pack members is incredibly intimate and special, Isa." Damien said, guiding the pair of us forward with a tilt of his head. "Did you not eat with your family?"

I inwardly scoffed. My mom and sister died when I was a mere child; the only person I ever ate meals with was Ares, for my father thought dinner to be a waste of time he could otherwise spend training.

"No." I settled for the simple, albeit rather blunt, reply.

I didn't give him chance to reply. Instead I walked forward, forcing the rapidly declining sea of people to clear me a path. This was my chance...I'd be damned if anything was going to take it from me.

"We'll walk in first." Thea said, nodding to the door. "That way, you get the entrance you deserve."

I smiled, moving out of the way so the powerful couple could pass through. Damien pushed the double doors open and took Thea's hand, though before they could step into the hall the Luna turned and grinned at me.

"Knock 'em dead, Isa." she said, disappearing into the room.

A sudden wave of uncertainty had me swaying, looking over my shoulder at the stairs that'd lead me into the safety of my room. I could easily leave and sleep the night away, safe from the pain that this evening was sure to bring.

Show him what he's missing, Vilkov had said.

The uncertainty dissolved into a smile.

And I pushed the door open.

The room fell deathly silent, albeit for the satisfying click of my heels. Power filled me, urging me forward, and I allowed a small, though blatant, curl of light to wrap around my fingers, whispering along the surface of my bronzed flesh. I could feel his eyes on me, watching the way the dress separated at the slit, revealing my leg; he was watching the way my hips swayed from side to side, my body moving and twisting like a snake.

Triumph made me look up at the Alpha, my eyes seeking his from beneath my lashes. Those blue pools burned with predatory intent. He was all I could see, smell and taste; his very being seemed to permeate the air, draping over me like a billowing, blackened cloak.

"Isa." Vilkov greeted with a slight dip of his head. "Our esteemed guest. You look beautiful."

I smiled at him. "Thank you, Beta Vilkov."

He rose from his chair and motioned to the seat beside him...the seat, as it turned out, that was just left of Phoenix. Thea and Damien, who were sat to the right of Terra, smiled encouragingly. After a moment I mounted the stairs, both unnerved and excited by the palpable silence.

The creak of the chair as Vilkov drew it out for me was ear-splitting. I stifled a grimace and sat down, carefully gathering my dress around me, and looked at the Alpha.

"Hello, Alpha." I said, forced brightness coating my tone. "You and your mate are looking wonderful this evening."

It wasn't a lie. Phoenix was looking damnably handsome, clothed in a suit that flattered his broad shoulders and muscle-bound torso. He'd styled his hair carelessly, leaving it mussed and tousled atop his head, and shaved his beard down to a small graze of stubble.

Terra was looking as beautiful as ever. Her blonde hair had been braided and it draped over her shoulder, revealing the slender curve of her neck. Her makeup was minimal, with only a little lipgloss and mascara, and she donned a white, sweeping dress.

"Thank you, Isa." Phoenix, as I'd predicted, did not speak; instead, Terra chose to fill the silence with a reply of her own. "You look stunning. Trying to impress someone?"

I quirked an eyebrow, sensing Phoenix's gaze on me. "I don't see anyone worthy of my attention."

Terra drew back, her features schooled into fake politeness. I glanced at Phoenix and was immediately sated by the thunderous expression on his face. Boy, was he pissed. Lexus, on the other hand, muffled a choked laugh, his eyes twinkling with amusement. I grinned at him.

"Lexus," I greeted. "Are you alright?"

"Brilliant." he replied, trying to school his features into impassiveness but failing terribly, "just dandy." a laugh, that he tried desperately to cover with a cough, fell from his lips.

I was about to respond with something uncharacteristically witty when an unfamiliar man rose from the bottom of the table, his lips plunged downwards in a dark scowl. Murmurs followed and all eyes flew to settle upon me, heavy and suspicious.

"She is the Huntress, I presume?" he asked Phoenix, bowing his head to the Alpha. When he looked up, however, his eyes were full of malice. "Why the fuck is the сукаnot dead?"

The way in which he spat сука  gave me a vague idea of its meaning. I lifted my chin, smiling at the man, who gritted his teeth.

"ты сумасшедшая сука! You crazy bitch!" he exclaimed, clenching his fists. "You dare look at me? I'm a High Warrior!"

I continued to smile and eased back into my chair. However, my muscles were far from relaxed; instead they were coiled and quivering, ready to explode into action.

"Alric..." Phoenix cautioned, his chest rumbling with a deep growl.

"What?" he shouted, his eyes practically bulging out of their sockets. The sight was almost comical; his face was so red that I was half-expecting steam to billow from his ears. "I'm just saying what everyone else is thinking. She's a Huntress, Alpha! A monster!"

A few murmurs of support erupted across the table. Panic blared in my head like a siren, thickening my blood and making the smile die upon my lips. It seemed that I was far less popular in Russia than I was in America and that only meant one thing; revolt.

Show them power. Make them fear us.

Make them fear us.

Fear us.

Fear.

"She's not worthy of dining with us!" he bellowed, spreading his arms wide to the pack. "We are Summum Lycans—what is she?"

Fear.

A warm flood of power washed into my blood and I slammed my fist on the table, silencing the cries of encouragement. Alric whirled around, his crazed eyes resting upon my trembling form.

"Isa, don't." Phoenix ordered, his voice as hard as steel.

Fear.

Alric smiled, provoking me with the glint in his eyes. I arched an eyebrow.

"You're weak, little girl. You're a child walking in the company of Gods."

Fear.

I raised my hand, inspecting my cuticles in feigned disinterest. And then, when something indescribable rumbled in my gut, my entire body erupted into blazing flames.

Everyone screamed in shock but I was unbothered, staring at Alric through the orange film, smiling as freely as a woman unbound. He backed away, shouting something intelligible, but his fear seemed to feed the flames. They roared upwards, billowing across the high ceiling in undulating waves, expanding from the blinding white aura that ensconced my form.

"You think I'm weak?" I asked, spreading my arms as he had done before. "You think I'm a child?"

I walked towards the High Warrior and the veins of light followed me, flickering and roaring and buzzing.

"Then step into the flames, Alric, and see how weak I really am."

He shielded his eyes, chest heaving.

I smiled.

And the flames abruptly died.

The room collapsed into dull shadows, all light purloined by the freight of my power. Everything was silent; no one uttered a word, pushed as far into their chairs as their willowy forms would allow. Even the outspoken warrior was silent, simply watching me with unrestrained fear.

"Please, continue." I said, waving a hand at my onlookers. As I turned back towards the High Table, my steps unhurried and unusually graceful, I smiled. "Don't let this little girl interrupt the meal of Gods."

I sat down, placed my napkin on my lap, and began to eat.

*****

The rest of the meal passed in frigid silence.

The occasional sound of appraisal echoed throughout the room, accompanied by an all-too british remark about the weather from Thea. I didn't bother myself with small talk and instead dined freely, taking non-committal sips of wine until my cheeks flushed and my thoughts began to run unrestrained.

Even Terra, who was usually rather talkative, fell silent, choosing instead to busy herself with the sound of her fork as it dragged against the plate. I shivered at the screech, my muscles spasming in disgust. It seemed that Phoenix was equally annoyed; his grip on his cutlery had tightened to the point that his knife had become misshapen.

The toll of the bell shattered the silence just minutes later, signifying the end of the meal. I rose immediately, the cutlery slipping from my fingers with a clang.

"This was fun." I commented, smiling politely at my table-members. "Awkward as fuck, but fun nonetheless."

Thea and Damien flanked me as I walked, their steps in perfect sync with mine. We were just inches away from the door when I heard a quiet murmur resound from behind me.

"How awful must one person be?" Terra whispered to Phoenix, shaking her head. "Her mother must be so proud."

I turned to look at the girl, narrowing my eyes. My heart ached at her words, more so than I would gladly admit, but my outward appearance remained impassive.

"My mother is dead." I said, and promptly left the hall.

*****

A/N: Isa, my little badass.

QUESTION FOR TODAY: What's your favourite milkshake flavour?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

320 15 22
Zapphire is meant to be nothing more than an experiment to her father. She is a werewolf, but to her father, potentially a future weapon. Her life is...
5.6M 153K 38
-COMPLETED- Audrey Allen had lived her entire life in the Dark Root pack, and every minute of it had been dreadful. Well, perhaps not every minute of...
219K 11.8K 62
Even the happiest fairy tales are rooted in nightmares, twisted to entertain children and lure them into false pretenses. After seventeen years in i...
617K 20K 53
Book one in the Legendary Lunas series. Completed. ****************************************** He moved as quickly as a bolt of lightning. Suddenly he...