University of Portsmouth: Fir...

By LukeduVal

The documentation of my journey through the first year of my English and Media Studies degree at Portsmouth U... More

Foreword
September 2017-Part 1 : Before I Leave
September 2017-Part 2: The Boat Trip Over
September 2017-Part 3: Arrival in Halls/The Broken Door
September 2017-Part 4: First Parties
September 2017-Part 5: Induction Week
September 2017-Part 6: Freshers Fayre/Flu Jab
September 2017 - Part 7: More Parties ('Lessons')
September 2017 - Part 8: Accessibility/Finding Suitable Places to Work
September 2017 - Part 9: Wetherspoons
September 2017-Part 10: Sumation of my First Month
October 2017-Part 1: Course Representive and Volunteering Opportunities
October 2017 - Part 2: Hamlet and King Lear
October 2017-Part 3: Course Representative Training
October 2017- Part 4: First Course Representative Meeting
October 2017: Part 5-First Feedback on Work
October 2017 - Part Six: Scoops Ice Cream Parlour
October 2017: Part 8-My Day with Izzy
October 2017: Part 9- Sumation of my Second Month
November 2017: Part 1- Volunteering at the Mary Rose Museum
November 2017: Part 2-Gunwharf Quays Fireworks Display
November 2017: Part 3- Portsmouth Christmas Market
November 2017: Part 4- USA Summer Camp Presentation
November 2017: Part 5- Midnight Screening of 'Justice League'
November 2017: Part 6- Departmental Employability and Enterprise Group Meeting
November 2017: Part 7- Sumation of my Third Month
December 2017: Part 1- Portsmouth Historic Dockyard Festival of Christmas
December 2017: Part 2- 'Snow White' at The King's Theatre
December 2017: Part 3- Mary Rose Museum Volunteer Christmas Party
December 2017: Part 4- Literature Society Christmas Quiz
December 2017: Part 5- Midnight Screening of 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi'
December 2017: Part 6- Sumation of my Forth Month
January 2018: Part 1: Assessment Feedback Part 1: English Essay 1 (45/100)
January 2018: Part 2- Meals on Wheels: Part 1- Making Toast and Spreading on it
January 2018: Part 3: Assessment Feedback Part Two: Media Essay 1 (58/100)
January 2018: Part 4- Meals on Wheels: Part 2- Using a Microwave/Ready-Meal
January 2018: Part 5: Assessment Feedback Part Three: Media Essay 2 (75/100)
January 2018: Part 6: My 'Handmaids Tale/Trump Essay
January 2018: Part 7- Meals on Wheels: Part 3: Making a Sandwich
January 2018: Part 8- Meals on Wheels: Part 4: Toast Again
January 2018: Part 9- Meals on Wheels: Part 5: Pasta (in the Microwave!)
Febuary 2018: Part 1: Assessment Feedback Part Four: English Essay 2 (60/100)
Febuary 2018: Part 2: Assessment Feedback Part Five: English Essay 3 (55/100)
Febuary 2018: Part 3- Meals on Wheels: Part 6: Pancakes
Febuary 2018: Part 4-My birthday: 'Black Panther' and Pizza Party
Febuary 2018: Part 5: Day with my Mum
February 2018: Part 6- Meals on Wheels: Part 7: Pizza (Ham and Pinapple)
Febuary 2018: Part 7- Meals on Wheels: Part 8: Pizza 2 (Margerita)
Febuary 2018: Part 8- Meals on Wheels: Part 9: Curry Again
March 2018- Part 1: Big Mouth Comedy Festival
March 2018: Part 2- Meals on Wheels: Part 10: Cupcakes
March 2018: Part 3: Assessment Feedback Part Six: Media Essay 3 (58/100)
March 2018: Part 4: Assessment Feedback Part Seven: Media Essay 4 (64/100)
March 2018: Part 5: Assessment Feedback Part Eight: Media Presentation (68/100)
March 2018: Part 6: Assessment Feedback Part Nine: Media Task (100/100)
March 2018: Part 7: 'School of Rock': The Musical
April 2018- Part 1 'Avengers: Infinity War' Midnigt Screening
April 2018- Part 2: 'The Kite Runner' Play
April 2018- Part 3: Visit to Brighton\The Vamps Concert
May 2018- Part 1: 'Star Wars' Party
May 2018- Part 2: Portsmouth Comic-con Weekend
May 2018- Part 3: School of Rock Again
May 2018- Part 4: Trip to Oxford Street
June Part 1: Mamma Mia at the Kings Theatre
End

October 2017: Part 7- Zara Larsson Concert (with Juliander)

41 0 0
By LukeduVal

This concert, which was brilliant, was the main reason and excuse for my mum and my auntie to come and visit me for the first time since I came to University. Izzy, one of my friends from back home, also came overfor the concert and I spent the next day with him as well.
Before the concert, I had never been to the Portsmouth Guildhall, although I have gone past it every single day to get to the lectures I need to be at, no matter what direction I was going in. The building's grand impressiveness from the outside is a far cry from what the building looks like from the inside in that, the performance and audience space is a lot smaller than I expected it to be. Although, having to sit at the back in the disabled seating area it meant that I could see more of what was going on than I expected to, which was great. I enjoyed the music, I know that pop music is not for everyone but I find it uplifting and easy to appreciate. That is why Zara Larsson delivered in my opinion, offering an uplifting, experience, always speaking from the heart and connecting with and engaging with the audience on a deep level. The concert was obviously full of highlights because I like all of her songs, but a particular highlight was when she acknowledged the band Clean Bandit, for having her feature on their number one single 'Symphony', And when she sang it putting her heart and soul into every word ,it was a special moment.
In terms of her own songs, it is really difficult to be clear on what the best one was, because they were all memorable experiences, although I do particularly remember 'Ain't my Fault', and the incorporation of a snippet of Ed Sheeran's 'Shape of You' in her song 'Don't Let Me Be Yours'.
Overall, the concert was an amazing experience that makes me think that I would like to see Zara Larsson in concert again because I could just tell how exceedingly talented she is, more so live and on her album then on the radio, which is a rare feat to achieve, in terms of vocal range and power, as well as the fact that she is very pretty.
I just want to give a quick mention to her support act, Juliander, as he is at the moment, a very talented, virtually unknown, 20-year-old Swedish singer-songwriter. He has only released two singles so far, 'Same Moon' and 'The One', and I think both songs are brilliant and he is definitely worth having a listen to. He is only going to rise in popularity, and may be in a year or two, he will have his own concert tour, stopping off back at the back at the Portsmouth Guildhall, or elsewhere, which I will definitely go to.
I don't just think that he is a talented performer but I also think that is also very genuine and down-to-earth guy because he signed a photo for me and messaged me back on Facebook to thank me for my support, when I informed him that I enjoyed his performance very much, wished him the best of luck for the future, and said that when I'm given a radio show on the Portsmouth University' student radio station, Victory Radio, hopefully in the New Year, I will be glad to play his songs. I appreciate that personal touch very much which you only really find in artists who are just starting out. He is only starting out to the point that, as Portsmouth was the first of last two Zara Larsson UK tour dates, the only ones that he supported her on, before moving on with her to perform on the whole of the European leg of her tour afterwards. I think the concert I went to in Portsmouth may have been his very first UK show and if this is correct, I am privileged to say that I was there.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

159 0 15
A collection of short stories
286 8 14
I just published some of my favorite stories I wrote in English class.
40 12 12
This is a collection of all of the short stories I have, which you can find on my blog. https://jazzmonroe.wordpress.com/ (Link also in Bio)
1.1K 3 24
This is a memoir I wrote for English class about the struggles of depression, anxiety, and being a teenager.