AWAKENING

By nikkihershell

#1 on the billionaire hot list (May 16) Avery Tanner's life is about to change when she saves a young man fro... More

Here Now, Gone Tomorrow
Always On My Mind
Hocus Pocus
Breaking The Rules
Mr. Rude
Triggered
Flashes
Only My Bestie
Head Rush
Baffled And Beat
Dead Man Walking
Coast Is Clear
The Hacinda
My Little Captive
Breaking Free
Torturing The Truth
A Cry For Help
Beg Baby Beg
Temperamental Cocktails
Rags To Riches
Secrets In The Dark
Ain't No Sunshine
Welcome Home
Just A Dream
Without A Trace
Sorry
The Last Icebreaker
First Time For Everything
Fast Time's
Thing's Fairytales Are Made Of
Camelot Falls
update
Eye Witness
I'm Not Alone
Early Release
Loco B
It Ain't Me No More
Return To The Hacinda
Warrior Princess
Can You Breathe
Severo's Mistake
Scheming Deamon
Severo's Venom
Make A Move
Forgive, Never Forget
Not In The Near Future
Vegas Queen
The True Test
Steamy Truths
But I'm The Princess
Reach For Me, Please
Fool Me Once, Fool Me Twice
Timing Is Always Off
Just Ain't Happening
Ta Da
Wedding Crasher
Mr&Mrs
Sending My Love
Marriage Life
Awakening The Devil
Dead Lines
Up To My Neck
Protector
Back At It
Moving On
The Meeting
Men And Their Deals
It's A Girl
hmmmmm
Who Would Have Thought
Happy Valentine's

The Final Goodbye

37.7K 1.6K 222
By nikkihershell

After that night I didn't see Severo anymore until the morning of my seventh day, the day I was promised my release. I woke that morning and enjoyed a breakfast of eggs, bacon, and toast, with a dish of grapes. By the time I showered and dressed, I was summoned to his office.

As I stepped in I saw him sitting behind his desk and Tallon was by his side. Tallon gave me a curt nod and exited the room. I thought that strange considering the way we hit it off that night. Before I could put much thought into, Severo jestered for me to take a seat.

Pulling out the closest chair, I sat down then smoothed fake wrinkles from my dress. I don't know why but I was nervous. I guess wondering if he'd kept his word and was sending me home and what I would tell people about my disappearance.

"Well, seems it's your big day". He said causally while leafing through some papers sitting on his desk. He didn't look at me and his attitude seemed so aloof.

"I guess it is" I replied meekly not knowing what else to say.

Still, not looking at me he said. "I've made arrangements with your boss Ed. You have your job back and no one is to question your whereabouts".

"Thank you". I muttered growing irritated by his behaviour. Severo acted as if we were stranger's and this was just any ordinary business deal. Gone was the lighthearted man that shared his secrets with me in the dark. He was all business and you couldn't believe that just a few nights ago he told me no one could have me if he couldn't. I guess I read more into it and allowed him to play on my emotions. Maybe for a second I had hoped that he'd figure Carmen out and come running to me.

"As for your apartment, I was able to secure it as well as your belongings. Everything should be as you left it. I sent your parent's several e-mail's duiring your stay. They believe you have been in California helping open a new restaurant for Ed and will return shortly".

"You've been in my accounts?" I asked accusingly.

"Yes. It was necessary". He replied blandly.

"I've also spoken to your friend Lana. She will be meeting us at a undisclosed location to pick you up. She has been warned to never discuss this with anyone, as well as in warning you now. I do greatly appreciate your help and I do apologize again for my crass treatment of you. However, once we part ways you are to never speak of this place, the people here, what you endured or seen, and definitely don't discuss me".

He said the last part with a lingering hiss that was laced with threat. "You will be delivered to your friend after lunch so I suggest you get prepared."

I started to rise and he stopped me. "One more thing Miss Tanner.". He reached into his desk drawer and removed a slip of paper. I took it with shaky hands as he extended to me. "For your help and the burden I've placed upon you". He said cooly.

I looked at the crisp check and nearly wet myself at the amount. One million dollars. He was giving me one million dollars. My insides clinched as nausea took over. Who the hell does he think he is? No amount of money could ever  get me back to the person I use to be. I'd be lucky If I didn't need a shrink after all this. My anger bubbled up and out of my mouth. Standing straighter, I ripped the check up. "As I told you before I don't want your money, criminal money at that. All I want is to be left alone and never see you again".

With that, I turned sharply on my heel and strode from the room. Slamming my room door I mumbled more blowing comments to myself. Looking around my room, I realized that I had nothing to pack, it was all his, bought with his money. I refuse to take anything that bumbling ass gave me. I don't know what made me madder. The fact that he treated me like we didn't share a few moment's or the fact that he could send me off so cooly with a stash of cash. Hell maybe it was a mixture of both.

Then another thought hit me... I just ripped up a cool million. I would have been set for life. Cramps riddled my stomach as I thought "I'm a complete idiot. What fool trashes a million bucks".

I'll be damed if I swallow my pride and go apologize and ask for the check back. Stupid, stupid, stupid me. What's done is done, no redoing it. Just as well start getting excited because in a few hour's I'll be home, back in my surroundings, be with my family and friends, living my life once again.

I sat on the bed thinking about all that has transpired in the past several month's. Finding Severo, bringing him home, discovering he was a mafia God, my capture and I broke down. After my breakdown I was riddled with guilt over the secret I held. The secret I shared with Carmen. Yes, I know I wanted him to suffer at one time and maybe a small part of me still does, but because of the person I was, my good intentions and honest ways I couldn't leave this place without letting him know.

But... I was to scared to say it to his face for fear of him not believing me and keeping me here. Searching through a few drawers, I came up with a pen and scrap piece of paper. I started scribbling down what he needed to know.

"Severo, this is my last secret in the dark to you. I know who is plotting against you, who wants you dead. Back when I was in kept as your prisoner Carmen came to me. She wanted me dead because I found and rescued you. She still plans to have you killed. All for money. She wants your money. She's not working alone and I don't know who she's working with. I know your wondering why I never told you. It's because I'm scared of you. I was scared you wouldn't believe me and keep me here or worse. I hope you find this note in time.

Avery T.

Opening my door, I peeked into the hall to make sure no one was about. Seeing that all was clear, I gently padded down the hall to the piano room. I knew he came in here often at night and just sat at the piano. Lifting the door that covered the key's, I laid the note firmly down. He was sure to find it here and I'd be long gone. Away from him and his wrath at my announcement. I just hoped he believed me and checked into it.

Then it struck me, what if when he finds it he comes after me again. I must retrieve that note. I rose to go back and get it, but soon as I opened the door, the maid was there with my lunch. "Hope your hungry Miss Tanner. Mr. Marietta told us nothing but the best for you duiring your stay. Today we have brought you a fresh crisp salad accompanied with spinach and cheese stuffed chicken breast and a side of vegetable melody. Dessert consists of a hot fudge brownie sundae and a dish of grapes per Mr. Marettia's request. I do hope you enjoy".

Mumbling a thanks, I took a bite just to satisfy her and get her out of here. Waiting several minutes, I attempted to retrieve the letter again but soon as I stepped out the butler turned the corner. "Oh, miss Tanner. I'm sorry to disturb you but I'm here to gather your bags and take to the car".

"No need. I have nothing".

He glanced around at all the fancy materials. "But Miss Tanner, Mr. Marettia will be upset if you don't take his gifts along".

Smiling sweetly I said. "It's okay, there just borrowed item's, not gifts. I have nothing to take".

Nodding his head in confusion he backed out and retreated. Then I heard the maid out in the hall vacuuming the rugs and knew I couldn't do it now. Just as she finished up the butler was back. "Your car awaits miss".

Knowing I'd never get the note back, I rose slowly and glanced around the room putting it all to menory. A time I wanted to forget but also remember. Stepping out, I followed the butler from the private floor down to the waiting car. There stood Severo with two other men. "My men will be escorting you out. I will bid my farewell now. Best of luck miss Tanner."

"Same to you Mr. Marettia". I said a bit on the salsay side.

One of his men approached and went to place a scarf over my eye's. Backing away I asked. "What are you doing?"

"Relax". Severo said. "It's just a precautionary measure to ensure my safety. No one must know where my home is located. You must be blindfolded so you don't remember the way here. Once you reach the city limit the scarf will be removed".

I gave him a weary glance not sure if I should trust this. Maybe their carting me off to finally kill me or dump me far into the desert.

"Rest assured, you are going home. You are safe. You have my word".

When he said that last sentence I felt somewhat safer. Standing still, I allowed the man to place the blindfold over me. My eye's clung to Severo's eye's and I wanted him to say something so badly. To stop all this and run off with me... anything. Finally blackness and the scarf broke our connection.

I stood there waiting for the next move, but everything was still except I heard feet shuffling off, more than one pair. Then I heard the crunch of gravel as someone approached me and I knew it was him. Placing his finger underneath my chin, he whispered.

"My last secret in the dark. Had we met under different circumstances I would have loved you".

I didn't know what to say. My heart thuddered rapidly. Before I had a chance to even reply, I felt his lips on mine. The kiss was so sensuous yet said goodbye at the same time. Parting his lips from mine, he whispered. "Goodbye sunshine".

"Severo". I whispered and heard a gruntal sound as I was placed in the car. Seconds later I felt the car move forward and away from the Hacinda, from him.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

145K 3.8K 24
On the surface, Aiden had it all. Wealth, good looks, and intelligence. But beneath the veneer of masculine perfection lay a broken man. A man obsess...
1M 29.8K 44
Book 1 of the Moretti Chronicles PREVIOUSLY KNOWN AS "The Girl Who Walked Into A Bar" •1st place General Fiction in Star Dazzle Awards •Best Plot Tw...
324K 12.9K 34
Esmeray was raised in a shitty orphanage and she didn't attend college. She started working at the age of eighteen. She rented the cheapest apartment...
306K 7.8K 39
If the mafia was a person you'd call it, Louis Valentino. He's a cruel and heartless mafia boss but a GOD in bed. What happens when he sets his eyes...