A Tale That Dawned [Book 4 of...

By GreatGustav

The war in Faeryum wages on as Selvina and her companions wait for winter to end before King Arthur's army ma... More

The Changes
Chapter 1: Herald of Doom
Chapter 2: Selvina the Slayer
Chapter 3: Departure
Chapter 4: Grim Tidings
Chapter 5: Acquiring Allies
Chapter 6: The Hood's Decision
Chapter 7: Hunter's Quarry
Chapter 8: The Water
Chapter 9: Life Stories
Chapter 10: The Second Parting
Chapter 11: Left Behind
Chapter 12: The Question
Chapter 13: Divine Decision
Chapter 14: The Captain and the Huntsman
Chapter 15: Belle's Chance
Chapter 16: Unrest
Chapter 17: Dark Paths
Chapter 18: Several Leagues While Under the Sea
Chapter 20: Confrontation
Chapter 21: Friend Ship
Chapter 22: Mystery of the Light
Chapter 23: Pursuit of Purpose
Chapter 24: Struggle on the Southern Seas
Chapter 25: Taking the Wheel
Chapter 26: A King's Failure
Chapter 27: Nature's Fury
Chapter 28: Captive Guest
Chapter 29: Caer Gobiyth
Chapter 30: End of Wonderland
Chapter 31: Liberator
Chapter 32: The Only Weapon
Chapter 33: Accolon
Chapter 34: The Room of Doors
Chapter 35: Alone Among Thousands
Chapter 36: The Ice Queen
Chapter 37: To the Below
Chapter 38: Destiny Catalyst
Chapter 39: Defy
Chapter 40: God of Conquest
Chapter 41: Helpless
Chapter 42: Rockets and Fairy Dust
Chapter 43: Center of Focus
Chapter 44: Fighting the Odds
Chapter 45: To Battle a Sovereign
Chapter 46: The True Answer
Chapter 47: The Stranger
Chapter 48: Breaking the Chains
Chapter 49: Defend
Chapter 50: Back to Neverland
Chapter 51: Agony of Pain
Chapter 52: End of the Fall
Epilogue

Chapter 19: She Came in the Rain

184 26 22
By GreatGustav

Selvina took a moment to stop running and catch her breath. Her heart was racing and she expected to hear someone calling for her but the woods were silent. She searched between the trunks, seeking out any of the rangers she knew were hiding there, watching her. Just like all the other times she had tried she didn't find a single one.

Glancing back, she saw no one following either. Doubts began to slither in her mind, making her shiver. Was anyone coming for her? Did anyone really care that she was running away? Had Tinkerbelle left her like everyone else?

Something small dropped on her head and she swatted it away, feeling nothing. Less than a moment later something else dropped on her, and then something else. When a small drop of cold water struck her shoulder, Selvina groaned.

"Great," she mumbled, "of course it has to rain." She looked up at the sky of grey clouds, as it always seemed to be lately, and narrowed her eyes. Was Merlin causing the rain? Was he trying to force her to stop running and seek shelter so he could catch up to her sooner?

Selvina sniffed. "A little rain won't stop me, old man." Defiantly, she continued on her way down the road, her back straight and her chin up, raindrops falling in an ever-thickening sheet around her.

Merlin thought he could stop her so easily? Pah! Did he truly think she was so simply defeated? He hardly knew her at all if that was the case. It was just a little rain and nothing to worry about. Yes, it was rather cold rain, and now that the wind had picked up it was growing even colder but...still. Selvina wouldn't quit now. She would show them all how determined she truly was at leaving.

Her hair began to whip about as a cold northern wind blew down the trail, directly in her face. Selvina tucked her hands under her armpits, lowered her head, and trudged on. Her simple leather coat was small and meager—more of a travelling vest it was. She would much prefer a thick, warm cloak and a fur hat. Her teeth chattered as she envisioned the warmth of a fire and the comfort of a soft bed. Cold water leaked down her face, mingling with tears brought on by the wind and discomfort.

"I'm being so stupid," she muttered through clattering teeth, her voice cracking. "Why did I even do this? I should turn around and head back." Moving to the edge forest and glancing about, she threw all caution to the wind and shouted, "Help me! Please! I know you're there! I want to go—"

There, coming down the road toward her, was a woman in black. She wore a thick cloak of black fur, fur-lined leather boots, and a white-furred hat that clashed with her jet black hair. Her skin was pale, her face angular, and she carried herself like royalty, her body straight, her chin titled upward slightly, and nothing moving but her legs. The rain dripped down all about her but it didn't appear to bother the woman at all. Despite the attire thickening her body, she was intensely beautiful and Selvina had the sudden urge to look away, as if she was undeserving of such a wondrous sight.

The woman walked without hurry, glancing now and then into the forest and smiling lightly at nothing in particular. Selvina realized she was partially hidden behind a tree and made an effort at not moving. Her instincts warned her not to startle or frighten the woman. There was an aura of awe and mystery about her and Selvina didn't know if she should introduce herself or remain hidden. Hiding felt like the safest option, however, thus she tried that.

The woman was only a few paces away now, moving slowly but steadily. She had yet to glance at Selvina or show any sign that she had seen her. The blonde continued to watch the strange woman walk by, her mind filling to the brim with questions that she dared not ask aloud.

When the woman was directly in front of Selvina, her body betrayed her. Chilled to the bone from the rain, her extremities grown numb, she sneezed—loudly.

The woman stopped immediately and slowly turned her head, her glittering amber eyes settling on the young woman with a mix of indifference and annoyance. Selvina, too stunned to even wipe her nose, stared back, dumbly.

A perfectly trimmed eyebrow raised slightly and the woman's full lips parted as her angular face moved when she spoke. Her voice was clear, liquid, and smooth, like honey mixed in cream. "There are far easier ways to end one's life, girl."

Selvina blinked, her mind momentarily going blank. Realizing that the woman was asking her what she was doing, she hastily wiped her nose on her sleeve, like a child, and, after shivering, said, "I'm not t-trying to kill myself."

"Yet that is what will happen if you do not seek shelter soon. Haven't your parents taught you about the dangers of cold, autumn rain? Even the simplest peasant girl knows that."

Selvina frowned, disliking the woman's tone and implications. "I'm not a stupid peasant girl. I know the rain is cold but it wasn't raining when I left!"

"Left from where?"

Selvina paused. Should she tell this mysterious woman that she had left King Arthur's camp? She may be an enemy spy. On the other hand, King Arthur wasn't trying to hide his army. With a shrug, she said, "Somewhere I didn't want to be..."

This seemed to interest the woman and she stepped closer to Selvina. She examined her closely, her eyes seeming to peer directly into her soul. It made Selvina uncomfortable and she looked away, feeling naked.

"Unfair treatment?" she asked, her voice bearing the slightest hint of concern.

Selvina met the woman's eyes and nodded slowly. "Sort of, yes..."

"Abuse?"

Selvina shook her head quickly. "No. Not that. It's just...I don't know. It's nothing terrible I guess..."

"And yet here you are, escaping it." The woman moved into the forest a ways and sat down against a tree where the ground was mostly dry. She smiled gently, the warmth in it making Selvina drop her guard, and patted the spot beside her. "Come here, young one, away from the rain. You need to dry yourself or death will be your only escape, and something tells me that is not the kind of escape you seek."

Selvina eyed the woman warily as she walked over and sat down beside her. The woman then opened up her thick cloak and wrapped it around Selvina, draping her arm around her shoulders. Despite the awkwardness of it, Selvina was warmed immediately and she found herself shifting closer to the woman. She had no idea who she was but Selvina took a chance. If she had meant her harm she could have it done already and if she had no real inclination to help she could have kept walking down the road. It was hasty reasoning but it made sense and Selvina stuck with it.

"Where do you intent to go?" the woman asked her. "The border to Noyr is not too far from here. Is that your destination?"

Selvina shrugged. "I just want to get away..." Not really knowing why, she added, "Everyone seems to be leaving me so I thought I'd show them how it felt for once."

"Family and friends are abandoning you?"

"Well...not all of them but...kind of, yes."

"You feel alone?"

Selvina nodded after a few minutes' wait.

"Neglected?" the woman pressed on.

"Maybe..."

"Ignored?"

"Well...no, not ignored. It's more like they don't trust me. Like, they don't let me do anything or go anywhere because they worry I'll get hurt."

"Excuse me for saying, but you were travelling in the rain and near to succumbing to the cold because of it. Perhaps they have reason to be protective?"

Selvina frowned. "Ok, fine, it was stupid of me to walk in the rain. I should have waited it out, but that doesn't mean I can't be given a bit of freedom from time to time! One stupid mistake shouldn't hold me back from living my life a little..."

The woman laughed, and it was as beautiful as she was. "Ah, my dear, you are so very young. You do have reason, however. I trust you learned from your mistake and will dress more adequately next time you wish to walk in the rain?"

"Yeah..." Selvina grasped at some courage and turned the questions around, aiming them at the woman. "Why were you walking in the rain alone?"

The woman curled the side of her mouth into a small smile, her eyes staring directly into Selvina's. "I was on my way to meet someone."

"Oh...am I...holding you back?"

"No, not at all. I was in no haste. And, truth be told, I rather enjoy this unexpected meeting."

Selvina smiled lightly and blushed. "I...like it too."

The woman gingerly brushed a strand of golden hair from Selvina's eye and said softly, "If you wish for a place to stay, away from your troubles, I would be most pleased to offer you my home. There are more than enough rooms for you and the fires are always burning. I would much like to be the one that can grant you that freedom you seek."

Selvina glanced aside, feeling uncertain and uncomfortable. "I don't know. I appreciate your offer, I really do, but..."

"You hardly know me, I understand," she said without the slightest hint of offense. "I do not know your situation fully but, from what I can see with my own eyes, it appears that you feel trapped. Am I correct or even partly so?"

Selvina took a moment to think and eventually nodded. "I guess I feel like that sometimes. My friends are all gone doing great deeds and I'm stuck here, alone. I had a friend who stayed but now she left too... She asked me if it was ok and I did say yes but..."

"She should have stayed anyway?"

Selvina shrugged. "Is it unfair if I say yes? Like, it's not a stupid reason she left, I suppose, but now I have even fewer people to spend time with. Everyone else is busy with war stuff and I don't blame them but sometimes I wish I wasn't so..." Selvina stopped. She was getting carried away and being careless. She didn't know who this woman was and she shouldn't be telling her things she probably shouldn't speak of. Why was it so easy though?

"You aren't a simple peasant girl after all, aren't you?" the woman asked slowly, a strange glint in her eye.

Selvina felt a chill crawl down her spine. Had she said too much? Could this woman be trusted? Had she just endangered herself? "I should probably head back..." she said, her voice trembling.

The woman looked genuinely hurt and Selvina's heart ached. "I meant no offense or discomfort. I understand what you are going through, my dear, and I only wished to help you. Sometimes being someone of importance can be more of a burden than a privilege. I know not if you are a princess or duchess or anything of the like but I do know how it feels to be underestimated, neglected, and perhaps even taken advantage of. You are old enough to make your own choices, my dear, and my offer still stands, if you so desire it. If you wish to return to where your troubles originated, that is your choice to make."

Selvina stared ahead, her mind in turmoil. Did she really want to leave Merlin, King Arthur, and all the others that much? Was she just overreacting? This woman she barely met wanted to offer her friendship and companionship. Could she be trusted? She seemed honest enough and Selvina couldn't deny that her offer was quite tempting. With Belle gone and no one but Tinkerbelle left to talk to, a change of scenery could be just what she needed. She could always come back in spring when Jack, Cindy, and Red returned. There were risks, of course, but the woman made sense. She could return to camp and get driven down to the ground in boredom or she could take this stranger's hand and maybe find some excitement for a while.

Suddenly, she remembered, "What about that person you were meeting? Don't you still have to go do that?"

The woman shrugged one shoulder and winked, the act bringing a shudder up Selvina's back. God, I wish I was that beautiful... she thought enviously.

"It can always wait until later," the woman said. She stood up and helped Selvina to her feet. "Does this mean you will take my offer?"

"I don't know... I mean, I probably have to go pack a few things first..." And ask King Arthur, I guess...

"I have more than enough clothes to share and if you head back your protectors or jailors, however you wish to see them, will undoubtedly want you to remain there."

"Well, I should still let them know where I'm going. They aren't bad people. They just have no time for me."

"Are they not bad in doing so?"

Selvina shrugged. "Not really. They have things to do too. I can't expect them to pay attention to me every minute of every day."

"No, of course, but if you are running away then clearly they do not offer you a fraction of the attention you need. You told me yourself you feel neglected and alone. If these people truly cared about you they would see to your needs and not simply settle with keeping you safe. You are a woman with needs and not a simple piece of jewelry to be kept locked away and given attention to when circumstance demands of it."

The woman's words were like a light flashing to life in Selvina's head, opening a path of clarity she had been needing. She was right, after all. Yes, the war preparation and whatnot demanded attention and time but she was the protector of Faeryum! She was everyone's future! If they wanted her to save them all then she should be given a bit of attention, no? She deserved at least that much!

Clenching her jaw tight, Selvina straightened and inhaled deeply, feeling courage and determination rise up within her. "You're right. I do have needs and I shouldn't have to beg for them! All I want is someone to talk to and spend some time with! Is that too much to ask?"

The woman smiled warmly. "You will come with me, then?"

Selvina's mind was mostly clear yet there were still lingering thoughts bouncing about. Voices of warning called out to her. Memories of her and King Arthur's ride through the countryside flashed in her mind. He had been nothing but kind to her but it was his fault she wasn't allowed to go with Cindy to Kenmard. It was his fault she was stuck in New Avalon. It was his fault she was so bored and therefore, it was his fault she was leaving. He meant well, she knew that, but it wasn't enough. Instead of just telling her what was going to happen, he should have asked what she'd like most. Friends didn't just order each other around. They considered one another's needs.

Selvina nodded and opened her mouth to speak.

But the woman wasn't paying attention to her. She was looking through the trees and down the road, her expression hard and her lips pursed.

Selvina saw nothing. She was about to ask what the matter was until thunder rumbled.

No, it wasn't thunder.

It was the sound of hooves pounding on the road—many hooves belonging to many horses.

"The knights are here," the woman growled through clenched teeth. Her beautiful face darkened several shades and her eyes flared to fiery life. She was all at once beautiful and terrifying and the entire forest seemed to tremble. Even the rain stopped.

Suddenly, Selvina was afraid.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

69.5K 3.5K 24
Fairy tales aren't real. At least that's what Selvina Whitier always thought before she was taken into a world of fantasy and magic filled with chara...
1.9K 64 17
Thousands of years have passed for Merlin. With nobody but his recent apprentice, Alec, at his side for the past 10 years. Merlin, two months after b...
17.9K 699 9
Y/n was Merlin's childhood friend. She was his favourite person in the world. But she was kidnapped when they were 12. A witch stole her from him and...
4.5K 446 77
As a new queen rises to power, the kings of Caeleste grow unrest. The Inlustris in their sights, they send an assassin to Antonella Feulune's palace...