The Past Between Us

By Reeyu97

When devastating circumstances caused Scarlett Hudson to leave her home town she never imagined that another... More

D e s c r i p t i o n
P r o l o g u e
~2~
~3~
~4~
~5~
~6~
~7~
~8~
~9~
~10~
~11~
~12~
~13~
~14~
~15~
~16~
~17~
~18~
~19~
~20~
~21~
~22~
~23~
~24~
~25~
~26~
~27~
~28~
~29~
~ 29.5 |Hunter|~
~30~
~31~
~32~
~33~
~34~
~35~
E p i l o g u e
T r a i l e r & FAQs

~1~

233K 5.5K 3.2K
By Reeyu97

Edited

~~~~~~~~~

  Sometimes it seems like you are the only one in the world who's struggling, who's frustrated, unsatisfied, barely getting by. But that feeling's a lie. And if you just hold on, just find the courage to face it all for another day, someone or something will find you and make it all okay. Because we all need a little help sometimes – someone to help us hear the music in their world, to remind us that it won't always be this way. That someone is out there. And that someone will find you  - Lucas Scott, One Tree Hill

~~~~~~~~~

~|Present|~

Tap

Tap

Tap

The rain drops plummeted down on the car's roof. I realized that we had stopped moving.

My mind and body were completely numb.

Ever so often my brain reminded me of what had happened and an unbearable stab of pain pierced through my heart.

Mom is dead.

She died a month ago.

You are all alone now Scarlett.

The chauffeur opened the door for me and I slowly stepped out. The kind man offered me an umbrella but I brushed off his offer.

I liked how the ice cold water from the rain felt on my skin. It made me feel numb.

Numbness is good.

It keeps me from feeling.

It keeps me from feeling pain.

My eyes drank in the huge mansion in front of me. Once upon a time, I had called this place my home. But that was a long time ago. Now it only reminded me of how much I'd suffered.

I made my way to the entrance and the doors burst open even before I rang the door-bell.

I looked up at the man standing in front of me. His face lit up when he saw me.

His lips broke into a smile. Once upon a time, that smile used to mean the world to me, but not anymore.

"Welcome home." His voice was kind but I knew otherwise.

'This isn't my home' I wanted to say but I bit my tongue. I had made my mother a promise and I was going to do everything I could to keep it.

"Hey dad." I said blankly.

His smile wavered a little but he swiftly covered it. "Come in quickly. It's freezing outside and you're soaked."

I just nodded my head as I made my way inside.

I took in the familiar surroundings, not much had changed.

The family portrait still hung in the hallway. Just looking at our smiling faces made me feel sick.

Happiness was an illusion.

It was a lie.

"Your room has been prepared why don't you go shower and I'll have your suitcase sent up." My father's voice broke in.

I didn't need any directions, I knew every inch of this place by heart. Without giving him a second glace I hauled my body upstairs. My room was the first one on the left.

As soon as I entered, I noticed that everything was exactly how I had left it. A warm feeling settled inside my heart as I ran my eyes over my surroundings.

At least my room feels the same.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss my room. My room had always been my safe haven.

I made my way towards the dressing table. I gazed at the pictures still stuck to the mirror.

Every person in those pictures was a stranger to me, including myself.

The pale skinned, raven haired girl smiling into the camera might have looked like me but she wasn't me, not anymore. I was a completely different person now.

My legs carried me to the window. My eyes automatically found the window across from mine. The light was on. A strange feeling churned in my chest, was it . . . longing?

I sighed softly before walking towards the bathroom.

I stripped out of my drenched clothes and stepped into the shower.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was brushing my wet hair when I heard a knock on the door.

"Come in." I called out.

My father stepped inside. He looked a little uncomfortable. "This is the first time in three years that I've been in this room." He admitted.

I look at him expectantly.

He cleared his throat, "So, Uh, dinner's ready."

I wasn't really hungry but I didn't have the stamina to argue so I just nodded and got up.

Just as we were about to enter the dining hall my father gently clasped my arm and halted me.

"Listen Scarlett, I need to tell you something." He gulped.

I could tell he was nervous.

"What is it?" My voice was quiet.

"I need you to be a little understanding." He sighed.

My eyebrows knit together, a feeling of unease settled deep in my stomach.

I waited for him to elaborate but he shook his head. "Let's settle down first."

He was trying to smile but it came out like a grimace.

What the hell is going on?

When I entered the dining hall the first thing I noticed was that there were three plates set on the table instead of two. Which was odd since there were only supposed to be two people; me and my father.

"Are we having a guest over?" I asked, curiosity lacing my voice.

He didn't mention anything about a guest before.

My heart clenched when I saw the pained look on his face.

"Dad, what's going on?" I demanded.

"Richard?" A soft female voice broke in before he could answer me.

I turned around towards the source of the sound and my eyes landed on a tall, beautiful woman standing in the hallway. Her silky blonde hair was styled perfectly and her bronze legs looked like they could go on for centuries.

"Who is she?" I was surprised at how squeaky my voice sounded.

My breaths started coming out rapidly. I was gasping for air.

I already knew the answer.

"You must be Scarlett?" The woman smiled at me but my whole body was frozen in place like a statue.

I felt sick.

"Who is she and what is she doing here?" My voice was sharp, it was directed at my father.

He closed his eyes briefly.

"Scarlett-" he started but I cut him off.

"Answer me!" I screamed.

"This is Sara, she's my fiance. We're getting married next month." My dad almost whispered.

I staggered back. The breath left my body.

Every emotion I had been trying to push away since the past month suddenly crashed down on me.

How could he?

"You bastard!" I spat out, "She's only been gone a month! Do you feel no regret? No shame? Just a month after mom's death you're planning your wedding?"

My hands curled into fists. I could see the tears starting to glisten in his eyes but I couldn't stand the sight him right now.

"I hate you! I hate you!" I hissed before I turned around and sprint.

I could hear them calling after me. I could hear his apologies but I couldn't deal with this right now.

I ran outside. I needed to get away from him.

My legs carried me into the woods located a short distance from my house.

I still remembered the way clearly.

The rain was much slower now, a steady drizzle. I ran as fast as my legs would carry me. My lungs were burning but I didn't care.

Finally after what seemed like hours, my legs gave out and I collapse to the ground. I was gasping for air

I recognized the familiar surroundings of the clearing. It was still exactly the same.

For some reason I wasn't surprised that I'd ended up here.

I sob broke out from my chest and my shoulders started shaking as I cried. My hand traveled up and clenched over my chest. The simple action had a deep meaning behind it.

It represented a breaking heart.

I was reminded of the person who taught it to me and a fresh wave of pain washed over my heart.

Once upon a time, he had meant a lot to me.

I screwed my eyes shut as I remembered him.

"Scarlett?"

I'm hearing his voice now?

A warm but firm hand clasped my chin. I could feel tingles shoot up my spine at the contact. It was like my body still remembered his touch, welcomed it.

I knew it was real. He was real. I wasn't imagining it.

I knew it was bound to happen sooner or later.

I knew I was going to run into him eventually. I just hadn't expected it to be so soon.

"Scar?" He said again, using my old nickname.

My eyes flew open and I saw him.

I felt like my heart had stopped beating.

"It's really you." His deep voice was filled with disbelief.

For a moment I was awestruck by his rugged beauty. I'd never really gotten used to how beautiful he was.

But the reality of the situation soon settled in and I quickly yanked myself away from him.

His dark eyes were swirling with an unreadable emotion.

My whole body trembled in shock.

I did the only thing I knew.

I ran.

I had just seen Hunter Adams.

The boy who had once meant everything to me.

The boy who decided to betray me.

The boy who ruined me.

~~~~~~~~~~

Edit 1/7/2019

AGES OF THE PROTAGONISTS (Since a lot of you were confused)

Present

Scarlett: 19

Hunter: 20

Past |3 Years ago|

Scarlett: 16

Hunter: 17

Note: I know all of you are from different regions and have High-School/College at different ages. Please don't get confused.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2M 39.4K 46
[ Highest Rank: #3 Teen Fiction ] [ Highest Rank: #25 Romance ] ❇❇❇ Life's hard when you live next door to the High School Bad Boy that used to be...
95.9K 4.5K 30
Sequel to I Stole The Bad Boys Diary. You must read that story first or this will make zero sense!! ✼ ✼ ✼ It's been months since Adam the man who co...
1.4M 51.4K 40
Scarlett Everwood isn't necessarily your average 17-year-old girl, but she's managed to get by. After a year of pulling herself back together, she's...
578 5 6
Join this journey of two best friends - April and Rose, who start their friendship in a not-so-friendly manner. What happens when love takes a toll o...