Clockwork Forest

By JamieDodgerGallagher

Alinson was broght in a clockwork tower niebouring Two cities, along her way she meets a sophistatced dragon... More

Clockwork Forest
Chapter one - The tower and its guardian updated
Chapter 2 - Escape to Reality
Chapter 3 - A Strangers Aid
Chapter 4 - The pilgrimage
Chapter 5 - The Dragon and the Vampire
Chapter 6 - First Night and Day
Chapter 7 - a Loquacious Genie
Chapter 8 - The Animated Witch
Chapter 9- one sided mirror?
Chapter 10 - The Antipathetic Testing. (finished chapter)
Chapter 12 the shadow and the new cook ( complete)
Chapter 13 - cook to keep Part 1
chapter 13 - cook to keep part 2
Chapter 14 - A Lady's Honour
Chapter 15 - Picnic and a witches Wrath complete
Chapter 16 - The Necropolis known as Rotheram
Chapter 17 - A Fight for her affection
Chapter 18 - Shadow of a doubt
Chapter 19 - Trapped in understanding new
Chapter 20 - Unexpected arrival
Chapter 21 - A taste of desperation
Chapter 22 - A Blade in the storm part 1
Chapter 22 - A Blade in the storm Part two

Chapter 11 - New attire and a request (completed)

25 3 0
By JamieDodgerGallagher

Chapter 11 – New attire and longer stay

The shop bell rang with a simple tingle noise but the manager of the shop could hear it from her back room and the sound of a new customer entering with a usual customer in tow, her outfit was smart with well polished shoes, seamless white stockings, a black skirt with a cress less shirt and suit jacket with gold buttons and cuffs, her hear was cut very short and was red it colour, her blue eyes seem to sparkle with a bright smile and red lips that seem to brighten up the room “welcome to Sagittarius Silks, my name is Cassidy please browse around our emporium and if you have any question please don’t hesitate to ask me or my seamester Francis”

The shop was rather busy as Cassidy played the role of manager and greeter, she had not long inherited her shop from her aunt and uncle who both passed away, it started off as a small shop that sold if not the basic silk colours but thanks to her creative mind and the help from Francis contacts she turned it into one of the largest silks shop in the province, but it did more than silks, it did all sorts of fabrics, materials and even sold clothes of their own design, there staff consisted of four other members and three delivery crew that would distribute the merchandise, one of the members was called Francis, most of the staff answer to him first because of his years of knowledge, he was a tall skinny man with a gray moustache, his hair was cut short and sleeked back with years of constant combing back, he had a neat suit complete with red tie and very polished shoes, around one eye was a single monocle and slightly bushy eyebrows, in his hand was a clip board and a pencil behind his ear “Cassidy i understand that you requested five rolls of fabric, silk, cotton, wool, Cashmere, polyester and cloth of gold”

Cassidy turned around “yes i did, i figured we need more from what the stock take told me”

Francis raised a eyebrow “is that so? From what i understand of the stock take were taking in more than we need, were over stocked”

“the over stocked we are Francis but that is the way i like it, were they on time?”

Francis sighed, he knew what the answer was and what was coming, he knew her mannerism as he paused at first but found her question of putting “well? Were they punctual?”

Francis shook his head “no Cassidy, they were early”

Cassidy shook her head “that’s another letter were going to have to send to them either that or find a new supplier, they should know that they need to be punctual, that is why time was invented so that things can be on time”

“well Cassidy you sometimes need to expect that they might be either early or late, weather problems road problems”

Cassidy turned to face Francis her cheery look was whipped from her face to a more stern scorn “i don’t care its not my problem, its there’s, now did that new mannequin turn up as well?”

Francis rolled his eyes “yes it did, but why you want a clock work one that plays music is beyond”

With a smile Cassidy pointed at him and said “the idea behind it is to show how much free room our stockings and clothes have, it is a innovation to help guide the fashion world”

Francis nodded sarcastically “uh hah and the fact it is a second hand modal going cheap has nothing to do with it”

Her smile withdrew slighty and her arm and finger lowered as her arms crossed in a defensive posture “well that was one reason but it will help our sales and everybody recognises Tyotr Eeyich Ravovsky’s Cogcracker suit”

“yes well that maybe the case and i admit that her work is a classic peace of musical marvel but i don’t think it will work in here, everybody is too busy and gauping at your machines”

Francis was referring to the her shop and the machinical marvels that ran on steam, it was a large shop indeed with selves filled with rolls of their assorted fabric, the shelves were high touching the ceiling but mechanical arms would move up to grab a roll of fabric and place them on a large spindle like device that would automatically cut a set measurement of length set by the staff members, the cabinets were filled with assorted lengths and the large counter in the middle that squared round with two staff members on brass tills stood cutting again different lengths and taking in the right amount of coin “they are not gauping they are in amazement”

Francis sighed “if you say so, so i have placed the mannequin at the back of the shop with our latest stockings and skirt”

Cassidy gave Francis a blank look as if dumbstruck and confused “at the Back? No, that will not do we need it at the front of the shop so people can see it, now chop chop”

With a silent sigh he turned around to fetch the device, he had been working at different shops for years and this one in the last ten, he had worked with both Cassidy’s aunt and uncle and tried on numerous occasions to become manager statues, but was shot down only to play second fiddle to a young brat that acts like she know better then everbody, often at times she would forget that if he didn’t have conncetions then they would be in ruin even if her ideas did get off the ground, but he had to face facts, it’s her store and she is the boss, it’s not too bad, he gets paid a fair amount of coin and stills has input on the company, he sighed as he waved over two staff members getting them to wheel the copper contraption to the centre of the front of the store, they then moved a long tub that stretched from the mannequin to the centre counter, with a click and hissed the machine was filled with steam, with a smile she said “perfect now lets see if it works”

Cassidy walked over to the device and pressed a small lever down and with a hiss it started to play a tune but nothing more, it brought a bit of attention from the patrons who were trying to find the noise of the sweet, romantic yet familiar sound, some gasped in amazement as others talked amongst themselves talking about the stockings and skirt they want to buy, but Cassidy seemed disappointed as she sighed and scratched her head “it was supposed to move, sigh another mechanist ill need to hire to fix this thing”

After a while the crowed soon dispersed and carried on their business around the shop, the bell rang again as Cassidy turned around to greet her next set of customer “welcome to...”

She paused as she looked at her customer more closely with a big smile and a polite bow “ah it is my favourite customer how nice to see you what can i do for you today”

Kendor stood tall with a smile on his face as he gestured to Alinson “nothing for me today Cassidy my dear but my friend could do with...”

Cassidy interrupted him excitedly “don’t worry, i see what the problem is”

She walked around and in-between Kendor and Alinson looking her up and down shaking her head she walked around Alinson round once then twice again, from time to time she held up Alinson arms and nodded and shook her head at the same time, it made Alinson uncomfortable but was reassured when she looked at Kendor who gave her a smile to put her at ease, she was told on the way down to the emporium that the owner was eccentric but it still didn’t help calm her nerves, Cassidy stood back with a finger on her chin thinking as she came up with a idea she was launched forward as a sharp mechanical whirl and hiss of steam kicked her up the backside to the point where she turned around only to face the lone mannequin with its leg slowly lowering back into place, her expression was of furry and embarrassment, Francis saw the event take place and was trying hard not to laugh as he turned away snickering, Cassidy composed herself and took a step forward to be out of leg range, with a smile as she said “yes well, what we need to do is get rid of this awful outdated outfit and get you something more modern and fancy”

 Alinson looked awkward at Kendor as with a another smile he said “i think the young lady is looking for something practical as well, a outfit for indoors and something that brings out her more feminine side”

Alinson blushed as she looked at Kendor as her mind blew feminine side? what could on earth does he mean, oh god i hope its not frilly, Cassidy smile broadened as she said “Kendor my dear, even though you have impeccable i believe the finale choice is down to madam here, come my dear lets get you sorted”

Without saying a word Cassidy had grabbed Alinson’s wrist and dragged her to one side of the shop with Kendor waving her goodbye, she was helpless but could only move in the direction she was being dragged along, Kendor had noticed her helpless look as she looked at him but with another convincing smile he shouted over the crowed “Don’t worry my dear you’re in safe hands”

Cassidy had come to the counter still with Alinson in a firm grasp as she said in a high tone of voice “Francis!”

Francis turned around to look at Cassidy and the helpless Alinson as he said “ah i see, so you want me to take special care of her?”

Cassidy shook her head “no, we are going to do it together”

“what about the shop”

Cassidy kept her confidant smile “doesn’t worry the staff will look after it”

Francis sighed and murmured “that is what i am afraid of”

Cassidy perked up barely hearing what he said over the noise of the shop “what was that?”

“Nothing, right then I’ll get my measuring tape, clipboard and some fabric choices”

Cassidy smile “ah good that would be excellent ill get her ready in the dress room”

Before Alinson could say another word she found the hands of Cassidy behind her unstrapping her laces, it was so quick that she had to hold the dress to stop it from falling off, Cassidy noticed and looked at her quizzically “are you ok my dear? you seem nervous”

Alinson nodded “well, i did come here to fix my dress rather then get a new one, i am rather fond of it”

Cassidy bent over looking up “you know you’re the first customer that has come in to ask that there dress to be fixed, most come in for either fabric or a completely new dress”

Alinson looked nervous and down at the bubbly Cassidy, she felt uncomfortable standing on a small podium surrounded by mirrors in her undergarments, she gulped hard and waited as Cassidy took hold of Alinson’s hands with a smile allowing her dress to drop to the floor, with a gasp and a look of shock Alinson looked down at the floor away from the gob smacked Cassidy as she said “i know, you don’t like my figure do you”

Cassidy looked around at Alinson and said “no its that, its the perfect figure, the one we have been looking for to try our new range, we have all sorts”

Alinson looked down at herself and the mirror “my figure? Its horrible i don’t like it”

“how could you say such a thing my dear i bet men are knocking down your door”

Alinson looked up realising that Cassidy was trying to make her feel better “well if they are i haven’t noticed”

Cassidy stood back looking genuinely surprised as she said “so you haven’t noticed?”

Alinson was slightly more relaxed but confused by her question “haven’t noticed what?”

With a grin on her face “the way he looks at you”

Alinson narrowed her brow slightly still looking perplexed “who”

Before Cassidy could say another word Francis walked in without his jacket but still in his waist coat, around his neck was his long tape measure and clip board in his hand with his pencil behind his ear “well i managed to sort out some fabrics choices the staff will bring them along shortly”

Alinson tried to cover her chest out of shock as she stared at him, Francis smiled and said “don’t worry my dear i have seen it all in my fifty odd years and occasions sometimes less”

Cassidy sighed “Francis do you know what we have here?”

Francis shook his head “no and the what is a she, but your still going to tell me aren’t you?”

Alinson noticed that Cassidy’s grin had grown to a large smile beaming from ear to ear as she said with a high pitched squeal that echoed around the shop “we have our model for the latest in fashion wear, quick Francis take down her mesurments and give her anything she wants, we could be here all day”’s grin had grown to a large smile beaming from ear to ear as she said with a high pitched squeal that echoed around the shop “we have our model for the latest in fashion wear, quick Francis take down her mesurments and give her anything she wants, we could be here all day”

Francis nodded “yes Cassidy, anything else”           

Cassidy smiled “yes, make sure you duplicate all the measurements, she can have a few outfits on us, no charge”

There was a knock at the door as Cassidy opened it slightly “yes who is it” as she opend it a bit more she noticed it was Kendor standing there with a polite smile on his face “hello Cassidy my dear i came in to see how Alinson is doing”

Before Kendor could open the door wider Cassidy put her foot down casueing Kendor to look in surprise as Cassidy said “she is fine, ummm listen we could be a while, proberly the whole day in fact but i tell you what there is a libary down the road, why don’t you stay there and ill send one of my staff to fetch you, ok by”

With that said Cassidy closed the door on Kendor leaving him shocked and confused, but as he went to place a hand on the door knob there was a click as he sighed and put a hand on his head “well it would seem she is in safe hands, ish”

With a smile he walked away but before he could leave the shop he was approached by a young woman with strong beautiful features, she gently tugged on his sleeve and said “umm excuse me do you work here?”

He took a moment to take her in, with a smile and a polite bow he said “for you i can work here my dear”

He took her hand and kissed her on the knuckle, she giggled slightly as he placed a hand on her back guiding her deeper in the shop and showing her around.

Nicolas took a deep breath as he stood outside her door that read OK on the front, he was about to knock before pausing holding his hand in mid air staring at the blank door, he dropped his arm by his side and turned around with his hand on his brow “why do i bother? Im only going to sit on that uncomftable sofa that could be nothing but a pile of pillows drinking a strange tea that changes taste with each sip”

He looked up and sighed but as he turned back he was face to face Okinini and her husband, but with a flick of her wirst she used tapped her husband on Nicolas’s shoulder and with a strange of force was flung straight into the room onto the sofa of pillows, with a whisk and a thump that woke up the flamingo lamp and even Sendric he sat up looking around to find Okinini kissing her husband and saying sorry.

“sorry about that my dear but he wouldn’t have come in otherwise”

Sendric blinked his little eyes and yawned showing his fangs, he looked around noticeing Nicolas’s presence as he said “it’sssss ok my pet I’m used to it, but try to be a little sssssofter next time”

With a smile she tapped Sendric on the head and the once stiff form went limp as he was able to curl himself around her hand and arm smile at her, Nicolas eventually managed to sit up straight cushioned by pillows by either side of him, he sat forward and sighed “you do know i was coming in regardless of whether i like it or not”

Okinini nodded as she walked over to her shelve with the kettle that was already steaming, she was able to pour out three cups as she gave one to Nicolas with some reluctance to it, the other she she had while sitting on a cushioned chair right opposite the sofa as they were both faceing each other, Nicolas had this strange feeling that he was about to be interigated or worse, a test subject for her cooking, but he noticed one thing, she seemed taller sitting down, Okinini took a sip and sighed “ok lets get the small chat over with, so how are you?”

Nicolas took a sip and pulled a face of discuss, lemon cured he thought “i am fine thank you, and how is you and Sendric?”

She nodded “were fine thank you, now to business”

With a flick of her wrist the door to her large room could be heard locking and bolting, Nicolas looked up slightly alarmed at the door only to gaze back at Okinini with a serious expression on her face, Nicolas knew she was blind but something told him that her gaze could penetrate right through him, he sat back almost startled but waited for her to make the next move.

She sat crossed armed with a smile “Alinson seems like a nice girl”

Nicolas shrugged and took another sip of tea remaining quiet on the subject as there was a long pause “very well, can she stay longer like oh i don’t know forever”

Nicolas eyes widened as he placed the cup on the saucer, he composed himself and looked more serious as he sighed and exasperated “what is everybody’s fascination with this girl?”

Okinini sat back “oh? You make that sound like a bad thing, she is nice girl considering-“

Sendric hissed loudly and stared at Okinini, Nicolas thought this was odd as he never done anything like that before but Okinini cleared her throat “yes well thank you my dear husband for reminding me, lets just say she has no home, no family and we all like her”

Nicolas took a sip of his tea, black cherry brulee, he first nodded at the cup as he approved of the taste but then drew his attention to Okinini as he repeated “We?”

There was a silence followed by the sound of Oknini sipping her tea as a familiar voice said “she means the four of us”

Nicolas looked up and groaned “and what are you doing here?”

Issac smiled as he sipped his tea with a big grin on his face and licked his lips “i was invited of course”

Issac was carelessly floating on his side just behind Okinini, she looked round to her shoulder and said “ah when did you arrive?”

Sendric hissed a little “other sssside dear”

She looked around and then over her other shoulder “ah there you are”

Issac smiled as he placed his saucer underneath his cup “here i am as you asked, but she has a point so far she has made a great impact on all of us”

Nicolas sighed “the answer is still no, she has less than two weeks and that is how it will stay”

 The flamingo lampshade jingled around the sofa before sitting next to Nicolas and placed its head on his lap looking up letting out a little squawk, he looked around the room noticing that everybody was watching him, he took another sip this time strawberries and cream “you can beg and plead all you want and the answer is still no”

Okinini took a sip of her tea and placed both the cup and saucer to one side on a bedside table “aw come on surely you can’t deny a old woman the chance to have some feminine company now and again”

He sighed and placed the cup and saucer on his lap before sitting back against the pillows crossing his arms “there is no chance i would have her here any longer then she needs to be”

Sendric hissed and seemed to larch himself up “come now nicky boy you know exactly what would happen if you keep ssssaying no, ssssso itsssss in your best interestsssss if you just sssssay yessssss”

Nicolas arched his eyebrow and leaned forward “oh is it? And what would happen if i don’t?”

 Issac kept his smile “well then we will keep asking even if she is gone”

Nicolas waited for a moment and then stood up holding the saucer and cup in his hand “thank you for the tea and the chat but i really need to get back to my work”

Nicolas took a couple of steps forward towards the door as everbody watched him stand up and try to open the door, after a couple of try’s he looks at Oknini and waits, with another flick of her wrist the door latches and bolts opend up, he turned the knob and nodded before leaveing and closeing the door behind him, with a confident smile Okinini sat back on her chair with her arms on her head “that went well”

Sendric looked up at her “are you ssssure, he sssseemed to sssstay put with hisss decision”

Issac to kept his smile “don’t worry Sendric before the day is done he will be obliged to reconsider”

Nicolas had gone down a flight of stairs only to come face to face with Kendor who was unpacking some bags, he looked up and said “ah there you are, don’t worry i have you a change of clothes as well”

Nicolas looked around and held up his arms and hands “and who has paid for it all”

Kendor smiled “me of course now as i was saying-“

Nicolas had cut him off avoiding the topic of clothes “I visited Okinini, it would seem they want her to stay”

Kendor with a smile while unpacking said “and you said yes, wonder full now all we have to do-“

“Kendor the answer is still no, she is not staying any longer, and why won’t any of you listen to me, if i say no i mean no so stop asking”

Kendor sighed “but i thought it would be nice of us to accept her into our family way”

Nicolas crossed his arms and looked stern “and you’re only thought is putting her in the family way after she has stayed a period of time now isn’t it?”

Kendor looked up with a arm full of folded clothes and a straight look “me? How dare you say such a thing she is our guest”

“you said that the last few time about our other guests and look how that turned out”

Kendor had a cheeky grin “well it all turned out fine, now Alinson should be in the guest room she has a question to ask of you”

Nicolas by this time was getting frustrated by the constant asking if she could stay a little bit longer, he couldn’t get his head around why he should have her around longer but a thought popped into his head of her in the shower that could have made him blush but he stopped in his tracks, he shook his head and carried on walking towards her room, he knocked on the door with two sharp raps as he entered “i understand that-“

He paused as he took in Alinson’s new dress, it was slightly frilly down the bottom but stopped just below her knee, it hugged her curves all the way up to her shoulders and her elbow sleeves that too were slightly frill, the bronze and slightly silver effect coming of the dress made her stand out, around her chest it was low cut but not too low, around her waist was a cream ribbon with a bow at the back, her shoes were black as she stood with a smile “oh hello i was going to ask you something Nicolas”

He paused at first before realising she had spoke “pardon? About what?”

He turned to face him and placed her hands in front of her “well, i am thank full that you allowed me to stay and i was wondering”

With a slight fit of rage before clenching his fist he hit the wall that made her jump “NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! AND THAT IS MY FINALE OFFER”

With that he stomed off before slamming the door behind him in his study, Alinson had watched him enter his room, she sighed looking slightly depressed as Kendor walked over to her and asked “what was that about, didn’t he like it?”

Alinson shook her head “no, i didn’t even ask him about the dress and he just stormed off”

Kendor sighed “well you look lovely my dear, let’s give him some space and you can ask him another time, i bet your starveing”

Alinson smiled “yes, oh do you have my work outfit for me?”

Kendor held out a small bundle of folded up clothes “yes i do but what are you up too?”

She smiled at him as she took the bundle of clothes from him and said “well i understand that you need a cook, so i am offering my services for my keep”

Kendor took a step towards her and clasped her hands in his “oh but my dear you will ruin these soft hands of yours”

“Don’t worry I’ll be fine, plus with Isaac’s help nothing can go wrong”

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.4K 728 30
johnson Kim, Real name; Kim Lee A 20 years old expressionless guy and a music artist reincarnated into a fantasy game-like world after dying fr...
173K 5K 35
"baby i just want yo' heart, hope ian' askin' for too much."
812K 28.5K 102
When Grace returns home from college, it doesn't go like she thought it would. With her past still haunting her everyday choices, she discovers a sid...
1.2M 86.9K 23
#Book-2 in Lost Royalty series (But can be read standalone ) Ekaksh Singh Ranawat The callous heartless , sole heir of Ranawat empire, which is spr...