I'll be There for You

By DannyOtr

Series of one shots based on our favourite paring Hayley and Elijah. fluffiness is ensured. More

Chapter 1: What Can Go Wrong...
Chapter 2: Guardian Angel?
Chapter 3: You Just Can't Stay Away, Can You?
Chapter 4: The Engagement Party
Chapter 5: Dumbstruck
Chapter 6: Saved by the Babysitter
Chapter 7: Paid in Full
Chapter 9: Times Flies: Part II
Chapter 10: Time Flies: Part III
Chapter 11: About Last Night
Chapter 12: The Best Plans Go Awry
Chapter 13: Family Matters
Chapter 14: Overdue Confrontation
Chapter 15: You've Got a Lot of Explaining to Do
Chapter 16: Mr. and Mrs. Mikaelson, I Presume
Chapter 17: Wedding Day Disaster
Chapter 18: Where Is She?
Chapter 19: This Ends Now!
Chapter 20: Always and Forever

Chapter 8: Time Flies: Part I

519 15 0
By DannyOtr

Lying on her side Hayley felt happy as she snuggled closer to the warm body next to hers. When was the last time she had slept next to someone? Probably when Hope was a baby. But this was very different. This was an adult body that curved around hers with a few extra inches to spare with his head resting on her shoulder. Hayley tried to not giggle. She was not really the type to turn into a giggly idiot when she felt the slightest amount of joy.

"Good morning," Elijah whispered into her ear and Hayley felt her lips curl up as a damn giggle erupted causing the male in her bed to smile before kissing her lightly on the lips.

Rolling over to face Elijah, Hayley ran a hand through his hair. He caught her hand and kissed the inside of her palm before giving her a look that made her toes curl as another giggle escaped her. "Good morning," Hayley whispered back while curling her free hand behind his neck and pulling his lips to hers. Elijah placed his free hand on her lower back and pulled her atop him. Kissing her till all rational thoughts had left her mind, Hayley barely registered the sound of the door knob twisting and the bed shifting as more weight was applied.

Removing her lips from Elijah's and turning her head to the side, Hayley found herself face to face with her daughter who was smiling at them. "Good morning, Mommy. Mornin' Elijah," Hope said with giggle. At that moment Hayley was very glad that she was wearing her pyjamas.

Forty-eight hours earlier:

Hayley was terribly nervous. It had been some time since she had had to interview for a job. That was one of the perks of running your own business. You didn't have to worry about what a possible employer would think of you. When a wary looking woman came around a counter and her eyes landed on a nervous Hayley she smiled. "Hi. I'm Jane Anne Deveraux. You must be Hayley Marshall. My daughter's friend, Davina, told me that you were looking for work." Jane Anne offered her hand before consulting the application, her eyebrows rose. "So, you used to run your own company? What happened, if you don't mind my asking?"

"We weren't earning as much as I had hoped that we would and when black turns to red and the bill collectors are calling more than custumers then you know it's time to throw in the towel," Hayley explained with a shrug.

Nodding, Jane Anne continued to read the application like it was the first time that she had read it. Hayley had forgotten how nervous that you could become when waiting for a potential employer to decide whether to hire you or not. She knew from experience that most employers make up their mind about whether they're going to hire you within the first five minutes. Not always, but most of the time this was the case. Looking Hayley in the eye, Jane Anne leaned against the table. "Do you think you'll feel comfortable as someone's employee after being in the role as your own boss?"

Hayley sucked in a deep breath. She had not taken the time to even process the idea. "I have a child. I don't really have choice," she replied slowly and then added a smile as Jane Anne's expression became sympathetic.

"I completely understand. When Monique was a baby I had to work two jobs and my sister, Sophie was living with us at the time so the rent was not quite as bad but it was still tight," Jane Anne explained as she closed the folder that Hayley's application was in. "So, I can start you at ten dollars an hour but after six months I look at your progress and we'll talk about giving you a raise. Given your background I could imagine you being promoted to management within a year. That would mean that you'll be making twice as much with the possibility of a bonus each year depending on our earnings for the year. How does that sound?"

Smiling, Hayley replied, "Sounds great." Inwardly she had to prevent herself from wincing at the amount she would be earning per hour given the fact that that was not too much over minimum wage. On the other hand a job was a job.

"Good. Then if you're not busy today I'd like to show you around the place and we'll see what you think," Jane Anne was saying as she got to her feet. Hayley stood and followed Jane Anne around the counter. "The woman over there placing a cake in the oven is my sister, Sophie. The girl icing cupcakes is my daughter Monique. Her friends Cassie and Abigail will be here later today."

As Hayley's eyes traveled over the room she spotted a young man with blonde hair pulled into a short ponytail picking up a set of trays and carrying them out a back door. "That would be Oliver. He's taking food out to one of our trucks to deliver to a party. And that is his brother, Jackson," Sophie pointed out a tall dark haired man who looked up at the sound of his name and winked at Hayley with a grin. "Oh, and here's the woman who will be showing you the ropes, Cami," Jane Anne greeted a young blonde woman who was sipping a Diet Coke while sitting on an upside down crate.

"Hey," Cami said with a grin. "I clocked out for my break this time," she informed Jane with an innocent smile.

"That would be a first," Jane Anne teased with a smile as she placed a hand on Hayley's arm. "This is Hayley. She's going to be joining us tomorrow morning. That's not too soon, right?" Jane Anne asked as she shifted her gaze to Hayley who shook her head.

"I could start today if you needed me," Hayley replied as Cami's eyebrows rose and she let out a laugh.

"Someone's eager for the torture to begin," Cami announced as she got up and tossed her can into a recycling bin.

"Torture?" Jane Anne queried with a mock hurt look aimed at Cami.

Cami shrugged. "Carrying all those trays of delicious food and champagne around. Now, that is torture."

"Oh, come on. Think of how much fun it is when the clients treat you like you're a freakin' statue. There to hold their drinks," Oliver said snidely as he appeared behind Cami who smirked while folding her arms over her chest.

"You eat the leftovers," Cami pointed out and Oliver rolled his eyes.

"Or they'd go in the trash. Guys got to eat and Jane doesn't pay us enough," Oliver muttered as he picked up another tray.

"I pay you what you deserve," Jane shot after Oliver's retreating back and he waved her off.

"So we've got a new girl in our midst," Jackson said as he came in and offered Hayley his hand.

"Woman," Jane Anne corrected with a stern look directed at Jackson as Hayley took his hand.

"The new woman," Jackson corrected himself with a grin flashed in Jane Anne's direction. Then he focused on Hayley. "I'm Jackson," he told her with an intense gaze that made Hayley grin widely.

"Hayley," Hayley replied as she shook Jackson's hand. He was cute but off limits. There was no way that she was going to start some kind of torrid work place affair. Then again he might come in handy to ward off Elijah. Not that Elijah was really all that interested in her. He was more interested in protecting his brother from her. What a joke.

"Something's going through that head of yours and I love to be in there to find out what it is," Jackson murmured to Hayley and Jane Anne coughed loudly. "And that would be my cue to help Ollie. I'll see you around, Hayley." Jackson told Hayley as he turned around and walked off to collect more food to load into the waiting truck.

"Don't mind him. Jackson flirts with everyone," Cami said as she moved toward a refrigerator and pulled out another Diet Coke. "This is for employees. So if you get hungry or thirsty there's usually something in there. Whether it's a cake that was baked and the client changed their mind at the last minute or drinks that are for everyone, there's usually something in there."

"Great," Hayley replied as she covered her mouth. For some reason she was tired. Then she noticed that it was seven p. m. How had she been here for three hours? She needed to call Josh and make sure that he didn't have plans tonight. "Excuse me," she said to Jane Anne. "I've got to call the sitter and make sure that he's got time to stay."

"Not a problem," Jane Anne replied.

Walking back around the counter, Hayley dialed Josh's number. "Hello, you've reached Josh. And Davina. We're not home right now. So, if you leave you're number and a message D will get back to you. Josh," Davina yelled as Josh laughed and the beep sounded. Hanging up, Hayley called Josh's cell. After the phone rang five times, Josh answered.

"Lift me higher, Aiden," Hope yelled in the background. "Now, twirl me real fast," the child enthused before she began to scream happily.

"Hello," Josh greeted Hayley who snorted.

"What are you doing with my kid, Josh?" Hayley inquired. She wasn't worried. Just mildly curious about where Josh and Aiden had taken her daughter.

"We're at this art festival thing that Davina talked us into. It's to support the art program. Some guy is talking to her about buying one of her works," Josh said. "Not sure that I like him. He's a little too smooth. Wait. No, it's not him who wants to buy. It's his brother. I guess he's some kind of artist himself. Klaus something," Josh was whispering.

"Klaus?" Hayley replied, feeling her head begin to ache. "Klaus Mikaelson?"

"Yeah, that's it. How did you know?" Josh asked more loudly this time. "It's Hayley. Hey, baby, want to talk to your mom?"

Hayley was still reeling from this unexpected news when Hope's voice rang in her ear. "Hi, mommy. Did you find a job yet?" Hope asked eagerly.

"Yeah, baby," Hayley replied on autopilot. And what Josh said about Klaus being with his brother? It couldn't be Elijah. Could it? And he was flirting with Davina? Clutching the phone more tightly in her palm, Hayley felt her blood beginning to boil. She should have known that his whole act was fake. Jerk. But Josh had met Elijah. He would know who Elijah was. Okay. So which brother was this?

"Mommy. There's a nice man here who's going to buy Davina's picture. He told me that I was a princess and bought me cotton candy," Hope exclaimed loudly. Hayley rolled her eyes. She had still not been able to reinforce the idea of stranger danger in her daughter's head who still believed that ninety-nine percent of people were kind.

"Baby, you can't take gifts from strangers," Hayley informed the child.

"It's okay. Josh is with me. He wouldn't let anything bad happen to me. Not ever. And I ate all the candy so I can't give it back," Hope told her.

"Uh huh," Hayley replied and then she heard Klaus' voice in the background.

"Tell your mother that I apologize. I understand that you can never be too careful when it comes to the welfare of one's children," Klaus was saying and Hope began to giggle.

"My mommy thinks you might be a stranger danger man. But I think she's wrong. Like she was about Elijah. He's nice," Hope said and Hayley felt her eyes widen. Shit. She could not stop Hope from saying too much because she was nowhere in the immediate vicinity and Josh had no idea what was going on. This was bad. This was very, very bad.

"And who is Elijah?" Klaus inquired lightly.

"He's my uncle," Hope said with another giggle. "And he likes my mommy."

"Ah, I have a brother named Elijah as well," Klaus told Hope. "Oh, I'm sorry. My fiancee is calling. I must leave you. Have a good night, Princess Hope." With that Klaus voice drifted away.

Feeling relieved, Hayley turned around to be confronted with a blonde woman whose eyes widened as they nearly collided. "I am soooo sorry," the woman said with a wide smile. "Excuse me," she added before side stepping and walking toward the counter. "Well, Klaus. I had a lot of things to do today. Yes, I know that it is late to be looking for a caterer. But I've been looking all day. Literally looking. Like I've been all over the French Quarter trying to find the perfect one. And nothing. Zip. Zilch. Nothing."

As Hayley eavesdropped on the conversation she realized that the young woman was Caroline Forbes. She hadn't recognized her because this was the first time she saw the girl in a pair of jeans and t-shirt. Caroline was usually dressed in a dress or an outfit that was far outside Hayley's price range. Now, the blonde was rubbing her temple with her free hand. "I know. I'll be back at the hotel soon. Yes, I know. Yes, I am paying attention. No, no one is following me. No, no one has approached me. No, I am not going to be escorted around the city. You're being ridiculous. No, I am not going to call Elijah and ask him to take me back. A taxi is fine. No. No. NO. KLAUS. Sorry, honey, you're breaking up," Caroline was saying while making buzzing sounds and then hung up before giving Hayley an exasperated look. "Paranoid soon to be husband. If he had his way about it I wouldn't go anywhere without armed security guards."

Hayley forced a smile. "That sounds a bit excessive. But at least you know that he thinks you're important," she quipped.

"Yeah, it's nice when I don't feel like I can't even go to the bathroom without someone following me in," Caroline said wistfully. "Anyway," the blond began as she scanned the menu and then her eyes drifted to Hayley. "Have you ever used this company before?"

"No, but I was just hired here and the woman who owns the place, Jane Anne, she has been known to see to every little detail of her clients. She's what you would call a perfectionist and I'm sure that even if what you're looking for is not on the menu that her sister, Sophie Anne, will be able to prepare it to you specification," Hayley informed Caroline whose eyes were beginning to sparkle.

"And you would be part of the team to help make my dream wedding become a success?" Caroline inquired as she waited for Hayley's reply.

"Of course. So, you'll have someone on the inside to inform you of every little detail down to the last minute on the catering front," Hayley replied with wide smile of her own. She might have lost her own business but that did not mean that she lost her ability to win over new clients.

"You're hired," Caroline enthused. "I mean this company is hired. But I like your pitch. You should be running your own company," she said as she pulled out her phone and began to text at a rapid pace. "Will you be here tomorrow?"

"Bright and early," Hayley retorted.

"Good. I will see you tomorrow morning," Caroline said with another cheerful smile before she exited the catering company.

"Great job, Hayley. Maybe I should have you work on our advertising," Jane Anne called as she appeared from behind the counter. "But for now I want you to go home and rest before you come back to make sure that we keep the eager bride happy."

Hayley could feel her heart pounding in her chest as she walked home. She now had a way to gain access to Klaus through Caroline's unwitting help. However, she was sure that she would run into Elijah at some point. Now, she just had to figure out a way of making sure that Elijah did not expose her and Hope's identities to the bride or groom. How she was going to do that was another story entirely.

TBC...

Thank you for reading, faving and following.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.4K 86 58
Just some angst, fluff, and comedic Delijah oneshots (Maybe even Twoshots) Also, I'll only do 50 one/twoshots I hope you enjoy
28.1K 473 14
Im starting some really hot dark elijah and elana one shots i promise they wont disappoint Enjoy
1.5K 17 20
A bunch of Rayllum fluff and angst cause hell yeah
38.3K 761 41
Warning: could make you choke ;) (or cry either one)