Drop Dead Dullahan!

By Cjethan21

[1st place BNHA Wattys General fanfics category] Izuku Midoriya is born with a rather peculiar quirk. After y... More

Death is Only the Beginning
Mortify
Relieve Me Of This Life
End Me
Hope
Hopeless
!Announcement!

More Than Immortal

11.7K 470 879
By Cjethan21

Inko Midoriya has been ready for many things during her life. Finding a Lover, preparing herself for motherhood, and raising a child. Though, what she wasn't ready for was seeing her child beheaded and carrying his own head like second-hand luggage.

Of course, like the good and kind mother that she was, her initial reaction was shock. Then of course, that shock quickly grew more and more until she fainted in said shock. Too bad as well, since Izuku was also in shock at seeing Inko fall over, the boy jostled before he rushed over to his own mother and checked her vitals.

"Good, She's still breathing" Izuku muttered to himself when he felt her breath on her nose and mouth. He put his head on the floor next to his mother before, with all his might, carried her over to the couch in their living room. Now that took more time than it normally would. Since Izuku still wasn't used to his new perspective of things, or rather the new perspective he put himself into.

Of course it would still need some getting used to. Looking at your own headless body walk around and do as you command is certainly a strange feeling.

Izuku, or rather, His body went back to his head around the door frame and picked it back up. Izuku had a lot to think of after what happened. First off, he had a quirk now. And second, said quirk did not allow him to die whatsoever. He went up to his room after he placed his red sneakers by the main door and sat down on his computer chair.

He struggled to find a spot where to place his head since his desk was so cluttered with notes and books, not to mention hero paraphernalia. He gave in and just placed his head on his lap, positioning it ever so slightly so that his eyes could see his computer screen.

Typing on said computer was another matter he found problems in, not only did he have many typos when he searched in the search engine, but he mis-clicked many times as well. After a few excruciating minutes of trial and error, Izuku was finally able to manage to look up: Immortality Quirk.

Izuku scowled slightly in confusion when little to no results came up, he had thought that at least one other person in the 7 billion humans to walk this earth had the same problem as he did. But alas, Izuku clicked on multiple links and websites but the results were always about either, Cult, Superstition, A villain with the ability to steal other quirks, Gods, Fairytales, or those shady websites that open up multiple pages in attempts to download a virus. 

Izuku sighed, and scratched his head, attempted to scratch above his neck before he corrected himself and scratched the head on his lap. 'Yep, I'm probably the only guy in this world with this type of problem' he thought to himself with a sarcastically cheery tone.

>Break

Inko woke up, not feeling well she might add. She had this horrific dream where she saw her son headless and bringing his head like a carrying case. When she got up from the couch by swinging her legs by, she groaned and rubbed her eyes for a moment before she saw Izuku's red sneakers by the side of the door frame. She smile widely as she was thankful that it was just some sick nightmare.

"Izuku!" She called out from the bottom of the stairs. "Dinner will be ready in a bit!" She stated. "Alright mom!" She smiled when she confirmed that her son was upstairs and probably doing his homework or what other kids do nowadays. She felt grateful for a bit, knowing that her son was still alive and had his head and all.

She quickly went to the kitchen and fished out frozen fish and many other ingredients for dinner, she had been a single mother for several years so she definitely knows how to cook by now.

On the other hand, Izuku was still struggling with looking up quirks with similar nature. Searching "Immunity Quirk" was also a dead deal, since most just brought up people who were immune to poison and whatnot. It was mind boggling to the boy to think that in the entire world, no one had anything remotely similar to what he had. Was he one of a kind? Was he special? Did he possibly have a new kind of quirk? And if so, does that mean Izuku will get registered as a new form or category of quirks?

'Oh right' Izuku thought to himself. 'I still need to get myself registered' he heard his mother call out to him for dinner as he huffed a tired sigh. He knows the minute She sees him headless and bringing his head like a football would elicit stress once more, but what could the boy do? It's not like he could just tape his head on. No, he only had masking tape in his room. And that kind of tape would be flimsier than a house of cards.

"Izuku Dear! Dinner's ready" he hears his mother call once again. But this time, instead of just thinking about going downstairs and hide his new-found quirk, he'd actually go downstairs and try and explain himself.

After a bit of practicing and making sure he doesn't bump into anything, Izuku carefully walked down the stairs while carrying his own head around his left arm and waist. He shuffled carefully while making sure his footing isn't off while he traverses the steps of the stairs.

"Hello Izuku! How was schoo-!" After laying her eye on Izuku once more, Inko dropped the utensils she was holding to fall over and faint once more.

"Mom!" Izuku rushed over and with one arm, laid her on the couch once again. 'I knew this would probably happen' Izuku thought with a sigh. 'Hopefully people don't get sick from fainting too much'

Izuku sighed once more, 'this won't be easy to explain.' He thought to himself.

>Break

Truth be told, after a few minutes of waiting while to took a few glances back at the dinner table filled with seafood dishes his mother began waking up again.

Izuku was dreading the reaction his mother was going to give, it was either going to be shock with grief and large amounts of crying, Shock and large amounts of crying, or denial with large amounts of crying. Either way, there was no going away from the crying.

Inko slowly opened her eyes while she rubbed her temples, she didn't know why, but she had a splitting head ache.

Inko winched when she got up from the couch as she took in her environments. Of course, she was still on the couch in their living room. But she felt that something was definitely off.

"Izuku Dear?" She called out to be greeted with Izuku's voice.

There was a short pause before the boy could muster up his response. "Uhh.... Mom, I-I think you should c-calm yourself down first" he spoke.

The woman mentioned took a slight curios look on her face before asking back. "What's wrong Izuku" a slight frightful and worried tone took her voice.

There was another strained pause in between breaths for the boy, especially so since he knows what reaction his mother could give. "Mom, before you say anything. Please, don't faint" Izuku said in a wary tone.

"A-Alright d-dear." Inko's voice was trembling while she gripped onto the cushiony base of the sofa.

There was yet another long pause, before Izuku emerged from underneath the Kitchen counter. Headless and carrying his own head in between his arms, Izuku walked up awkwardly shuffling like he just commuted a horrendous sin.

"Oh My!" Inko yelled while she rushed up from the couch and almost tripped her way to tackle Izuku with a hug. "Wh-What happened to my dear baby Izuku!" She desperately asked with tears in her eyes.

Izuku on the other hand, shuffled awkardly under her embrace while he carried his head by gripping onto his hair. Unfortunately due to Inko's reaction, Izuku was left to grip onto his hair to avoid dropping his head on the wooden floor. An experience he doesn't want to feel.

"Uhh.. M-Mom.." Izuku said with shaky words. "I-I-I th-think it's my quirk" he stated, as Inko took a moment and release her grip from Izuku to look at him straight in the eye. Well, she had to look down since he was carrying his head on his arms.

"Y-Your quirk?" Inko asked with tear stained eyes. "B-But how could a quirk do something like this? I-I mean, look at you! You're headless!" The woman with dark-green hair exclaimed.

Izuku pursed his lips, he doesn't actually know anything about his quirk. Let alone why he couldn't die from jumping off a 4 story building. 'Oh' he mentally stated to himself while looking at his teary eyed mother. 'Might not tell her that last bit'

"I-I think we should go to a professional" Izuku said awkwardly, his mother nodded solemnly. As much as she wanted to drag him there right this very moment, it was late. And the nearest hospital was an hour away on train. Her motherly instinct screamed to run off with him towards the hospital and find the most certified quirkologist so she could see her beautiful baby boy with a head again. But the deep part inside her that wanted to trust the boy pleading that he take a rest and do it tommorow.

What was the mother supposed to do? Both solutions seemed to have positives, and negatives. But she couldn't make up her mind on whether to rush him to a hospital or not. Then again, she had a splitting headache after seeing her son carrying his own head in his arms. It was honestly the most appalling thing the mother had seen in her life. But that wasn't the weirdest thing wasn't it? What was strange was the fact Izuku could literally take his head off and parade around while carrying it in his arms. How he does this is way beyond her, what she's more worried about is how this quirk is going to affect his life.

"Uhh M-Mom, I think we should get me a checkup tommorow." The son exclaimed while repositioning his head by his side.

"Oh! Of course dear! No matter what, we'll go the the hospital and get this fixed." Inko said while gesturing to the head Izuku was holding. "But first, dinner is waiting for us" Izuku let out a sheepish giggle after a moment of awkward silence. It was like they were talking for 30 minutes before they actually took a bite out of the seafood on the table.

Looking at it now, Izuku has found another problem with his quirk.

'How am I supposed to eat!?' The boy thought to himself with worried emotions while he set his head on the side of the table. He took a glance back at the steaming fish and rice on the bowl while his mother also took a worried glance back at the boy.

The boy took a moment before thinking up a plan for consuming food. Of course, it wouldn't be easy to eat when you're headless. But Izuku had an idea.

"Mom?" Izuku asked to which the woman responded with a worried "Yes?" Izuku took a bit of thinking and breathing before he asked once more. "Do we have duct tape?"

Izuku was very open to new experiences. But repositioning and aligning his head so that he could align his windpipe and duct tape his head on was not an experience he was expecting in his life. Truth be told, he didn't know why he hadn't come up with this solution sooner. It was definitely more effective than carrying his head in between his arms.

>Break

Katsuki was not a happy camper. Especially when he found out the dead last quirkless sucker was actually hiding his quirk all along. The mere thought him deceiving someone like Katsuki was an infuriating thought.

Especially so when the snot nosed nerd managed to save him when he had one foot in the grave.

But something was off with Izuku's quirk, being able to take off someone's head was a strange quirk to say the least. Being able to fight with it and actually being effective with it is another thing.

Watching Izuku, or Deku as he likes to call him, fight a slime monster that even *he couldn't take on was frustrating.

How could a quirk that takes off heads make him so strong?

The worst part is that the very next day, people at his school are talking about how both Katsuki and Izuku were messing with villains. News reports and headlines showing the headless boy chucking his head at the villain was a sight to behold. The kids, especially the bullies and geeks at the school, were talking about how Izuku hid such an amazing quirk from them. Unfortunately, Katsuki's already short temper was getting tired of the subject.

"Hey, Bakugou. Did you get any juicy stuff about Izuku's quirk yesterday?" His crony with a finger extending quirk asked.

Katsuki was ticked off. For one, he brought up Izuku again. And two, he left him for dead yesterday and was acting like it never happened.

"Funny you should be talking about that" the ash-blonde stated in a cold tone. "Coz judging from yesterday, you thought that I'd be a dead man" a scowl and light flickers of sparks engulfed the boy's hands while facing his lackey.

"Uwah!?? N-No Bakugou! I-I-It's just that we were so scared and w-we forgot that you still there!" The fat one with wings exclaimed.

"Forgot I was there!? You fucks were looking at me dead in the eye when you ran off!" The blonde shouts with fury. But before they could tackle the topic further, the homeroom teacher came in after the bell rang.

"Alright class settle down now." The blonde man in a brown suit exclaimed. He took a gander at the students sitting down, looking round he noticed that Bakugou was still there. Midoriya had excused himself from school for the day due to reasons from the event prior, so it was surprising that Katsuki, the one who was actually attacked, was still attending classes for the day.

"Oh Bakugou, be careful next time. Make sure you watch out for villains and don't go near shady alleyways" the teacher suggested while the boy gave an annoyed grunt.

"Uh T-Teacher!" A shy boy with rocks for hair and hands raised his rocky palm.

"Yes Rokku" the teacher responded.

"Uhh, Midoriya hasn't come up yet. He isn't usually late, from w-what happened yesterday. I'm asking if he was okay or not" the rocky student asked.

"Oh, don't worry rokku. Midoriya has been excused due to health concerns. But I've been informed that nothing serious has happened." The man said in a flat but reassuring tone.

"But sensei, Midoriya was literally decapitated" the teen responded while a burst of murmurs and whispers emerged from the classroom. Of course, Bakugou wa holding back his rage while he glared daggers at the rocky boy.

"Uhh well..." the teacher exclaimed While scratching the back of his head "Midoriya seems to have gone to a hospital by now. But I would guess that his headlessness is a possible quirk related feature? I'm not too sure, you can all press him once he comes back"

>Break

Riding on a train with duct-tape on your neck was an awkward affair. People keep staring at you like you're wearing an extra thick choker. The teenagers as well, there were slight whispers about the headless boy form the news reports and the word "Dullahan" being thrown a lot with the other passengers. Luckily for Izuku the train wasn't as packed since the morning rush of students was finished.

Inko could feel that Izuku was uncomfortable, it was apparent when he would thumble with the tape on his neck every five seconds and look around to see if anyone was looking. But the mother of one couldn't really do anything. She couldn't stop the judging stares people give, and she couldn't certainly stop the media from talking about the "Green haired headless student with a death wish" that was one nickname she was far too excited to be lynched.

Her initial reaction towards Izuku mingling with a dangerous criminal was obviously worry and fear. But after Izuku had explained himself, that feeling was still worry and fear. Just on a slightly lower level.

Walking to the hospital, Inko could still see a few people pointing at Izuku and commenting about his neck. Or rather the silver duct-tape that was covering a good half of his neck. Assistance from the main counter was relatively stress free and calm. The quirkologist that Inko had asked for was there in a jiffy and was quite quick with the introductions and prerequisites.

"alright, first off. I'd like you to explain how exactly you managed to discover you quirk" the man with large glasses and a white beard asked while taking a look at Izuku's wound, or rather, the slit in between his neck.

Izuku was drymouthed, not because of the lack of saliva. But because of the fear of confessing his sins to his mother. He couldn't just say straight up that he attempted and almost succeeded in suicide. He took a moment to think about it while the two other people in the room looked at him patiently awaiting for an answer.

"Uhh... i-it was an accident. I kinda t-tripped on the roof at school" Izuku exclaimed. His throat was tightening up, his sweat glands going crazy as he took awkward glances back to home mother and the actual doctor. The man shrugged while he took down notes, his mother on the other hand said a worried and shocked "My Izuku, what kind of mother am I letting my child get decaptated." She said with a gasp.

"Hmmm" the doctor hummed in thought, "Alright Midoriya, we'll be executing a few, wait no. We'll be executing some tests, I hope you'll be cooperating with us so that we could just find out what kind of quirk lets the user be decapitated" he stated.

Various painful, repetitive, and dull tests were tried on the boy. Especially with syringes and knives. Although it only took a few seconds before the blood samples the doctor took either skidded its way back to the base of Izuku's neck, or broke it's way out of the test tube and then back to Izuku's neck.

Inko had never seen such a brutal way to test someone's quirk. Taking a knife and slicing a bit of Izuku's skin was definitely a sight she never ever wants to see again. Inserting needles, slicing skin, scraping flesh and wiping off blood was something she was way too squeamish about. Especially since it was her son that she was watching. Unluckily for Izuku, he had to feel all those things. And the healing was no better. He could feel the needley pricks of his blood stringing together and piercing his skin as he healed.

"Alrighty then Midoriya" the doctor stated while wiping sweat off his brow and tossing the latex gloves in the bin. "I've seen strange quirks in my 9 years of being a quirkologist and i have got to say that this quirk of yours has got to be the strangest yet" he said while looking to his clipboard with notes written down.

"S-So, what is his quirk. Like, is being headless his actual quirk?" Inko asked pleadingly.

"I'm glad you asked, the doctor said with a proud smirk.

"So far, I have observed three major factors regarding your quirk Midoriya" he stated. "First off, your red blood cells seems to show this phenomenon where it portrays this sort-of pseudo-sentience, wherein it always flows no matter what. And without the assistance of the heart. Also, it seems that it always goes back to it's host. Observed by the blood samples jumping out from the syringe and back to your neck Midoriya" the doctor said.

"S-So what are you saying. Th-That like, m-my heart doesn't affect my blood flow or anything?" Midoriya asked.

"Well, Yes and no" the man said while scratching his head in thought. "Well, your blood flows regardless of heart interference and acts like a deterrent for threats in your body. Shown here by your perfect health record in this hospital" the doctor asked Izuku about his health, and whether he has been sick in the past before. To which he responds "No" and proved his theory correct.

"And this brings me to the second thing" the older man stated while flipping to the next page of his clipboard. "It seems that your heart is completely missing  due the almost sentient red blood cells. Rather than a pulsing beating heart, you just have an empty cavity in between you lungs."

"That's impossible! Izuku had been x-rayed when he was born!" Inko denied.

"Yes, but quirks manifest at around age four. Till then, the body adapts and depending on the quirk, the body changes and sometimes organs are lost or added. It's not an uncommon thing. But completely losing one's pulmonary organ definitely is" the man said with a chuckle.

Izuku put his hand on his chest, and truth be told he felt no beats. He looked wide eyed at the doctor before the man smiled warmly back at him.

"Midoriya, have you observed that you don't have a pulse either?" The doctor asked. Izuku shook his head slowly in response. "Ah, yes. It is quite strange actually. Your blood flows, but due to the lack of artery muscles, you blood flows smoothly and thus, you have no pulse whatsoever."

Izuku thought to himself on how dead he actually was.

"And now the third thing, and arguably the strangest and most peculiar aspect about your quirk." The doctor took a huff of breath before flipping his clipboard to the next page.

"It seems that you, and I quote, are immortal"

Both Midoriyas gasped in shock as the doctor shrugged and gave them an equally confused look. Izuku already knew that he had an immortality quirk in one way or another, but it was just as shocking to have a trained professional verify it.

Immorality? As in, not dying? As in, thousand year old and still walking the earth? Both of the Midoriyas looked back at each other before they asked for more details.

"Well, we doctors have discovered a new way of judging a person's age by both skin graph and an infra red laser that 3D maps your skin and automatically verifies your age. And well, your skin depicts that you have not aged a single day since you were born. Well that might not be completely true, but it is true that since the age of four. Your skin has stopped showing any signs of age. Though, I fail to see how that could correlate to how you would not die from being decapitated." The man exclaimed.

It was still extremely hard to grasp Izuku's quirk. For one, his blood is alive for some reason. Two, he had no heart and pulse, and finally three, the boy could not die and has some sort of youth quirk. Izuku was still bewildered at the fact that he had a quirk, let alone a quirk that denied him of death.

Inko at the other hand was worried about the boy. She had seen far too many fantasy movies where the immortal wise one says how immortality is a curse and her child being unkillable was definitely a mixed bag of emotions.

On one hand, she didn't need to fear Izuku's death. On the other hand, she fears about the happiness the boy will lack when all his friends and family are gone while he lives on.

"This quirk of yours. It could save a lot of lives if given the right doctors and professionals to test on it. Midoriya, what I am about to ask you is completely your desicion" the man said while taking of his glasses and took a more serious tone. "Are you willing to donate your body for the future of medicine and the possible discovery of eternal youth?" The man asked.

"What!? No! Of course not! Absolutely not! I will not have my child be experimented on and become a lab rat!" Inko responded angrily. She knows that people would do this. She knows, and oh how quickly did it pop up.

The doctor let out a sigh before he pinched the bridge of his nose. He took on last look between the angry mother and gob-smacked boy that was Izuku. After a few minutes of suffocating silence, the man spoke once more. "Midoriya, I am willing to redact some information on your quirk, as long as you keep your mouth shut and don't squawk any info about your-ahem immortality. I suggest you pick a name so you get registered" he stated. "There are people willing to kill for a quirk like this Midoriya, and I hope you understand"

"A-Alright" the boy spoke in a low tone. He thought, he thought and thought and thought about what kind of name his quirk should be. It was definitely not an easy task to say the least. Especially since they were talking about an immortality quirk.

He pondered on it for a bit, 'Eternal? No. Everlasting? No. Aeternum? Nah. Perpetua? That sounds a bit religious.' He thought for a bit while scratching his head on his lap while the doctor and his mother looked at him in anticipation.

'Deathless? Unkillable? Wait, I think I should make the name subtle' the boy thought, his eyes were darting across the room in desperation of a quirk name. He looked towards trash bins, weighing scales, and boxes of cotton. Until he looked at a rubber band sitting at the desk of his quirkologist. The rubber band was nestled win an 8 form, a sideways 8 to be precise. Izuku tilted his head at looking at such a thing. Until it struck him.

'Of course! Infinite!' He thought with a detached smile.

"Uhh I think I came up with a name" Izuku stated with a shaky smile at the doctors.

"Oh? Then by all means, tell us" he replied.

Izuku took one last confident smile before saying. "Mugen" with a determined look he glanced at the doctor's raised eyebrow.

"Hmm... Infinite? Strange, but quite fitting actually. Alright, thank you for your cooperation." The man with a white beard replied.

"Uhh Doctor?" Inko asked with a raised hand, to which the doctor replied with "yes?"

"Is Izuku going to be permanently beheaded?" Inko asked

"Well... I might have a solution for that" with an awkward smile, the doctor was now holding a large needle and some surgical string.

Izuku did not like the next part.

(A/N)

Alrighty guys, I took waay too much time in making this chapter. as you can see after the last few chapters in my books. My word average has drastically jumped from 2.5k words, to 4.5k words. that's almost twice the amount. but of course, I try to take as much care in editing and what not so the average time I work on a chapter is practically doubled. 

so sorry to those who are visciously following this book, as you can see on my account. I work on several other books and like to rotate between which books to update. so of course, the updates will be consistent. but the schedule won't 

on a side note: one of my wonderful readers namely @ElenaVichevaha helped me in picking ou the actual quirk name. so, thanks for that <3 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

59K 1K 17
Ever since Izuku Midoriya joined U.A. High School and settled in, he knew that the League of Villains were after him and his quirk: One For All. Howe...
4.6K 142 4
Takeo Midoriya. The eldest of the three. The most matured of all of them and the only one who isn't reckless. But protects his friends and family. A...
12.3K 514 14
‼️NOMU DEKU STORY‼️ Izuku Midoriya, quirkless and hated by everyone around him. Too trusting for his own good, it only ever brings him pain. It's a t...
99.8K 3.5K 16
With nothing left to lose, one might say that killing oneself might be the best option, but what if that doesn't work? Izuku Midoriya, a seemingly qu...