Not Babysitting

By amazingmsme

Dustin's mother asks Steve to watch Dustin while she's gone because she has to leave overnight somewhere. Dus... More

Not Babysitting

286 4 0
By amazingmsme

The last thing that Dustin expected was for the doorbell to ring. His mother had left about an hour ago because she had to go to a funeral a few towns over early the next morning. She had been worried whether he would be okay without her, but he did his best to assure her that he would be okay on his own for one night. Though he had to admit, he had been a little afraid. Who could blame him, after everything he's seen? He stood up, leaving Tews on the couch. He grabbed the nearest thing that could be used as a weapon, which happened to be a fireplace rod, and made his way to the door. He leaned over to look out the window and saw Steve on his doorstep. Dustin immediately flew open the door, "What's wrong?"

Steve was shocked at the question and blinked a few times before answering, "Nothing."

"Then why the hell are you here?" he asked, partly exasperated, partly relieved. "I wanted to uh, check up on you," he answered, walking inside. Dustin closed the door before turning to him, "Oh no, did my mom put you up to this?"

"Wait you mean she isn't here?" Steve asked, a shocked expression on his face. Dustin was unamused, "You're a terrible actor Steve."

"Wha- I'm not- I'm a great actor!"

"Think again dipshit," he said, scooping up the kitten into his arms. Steve followed him, "Hey, respect your elders." Dustin rolled his eyes, "You're only older than me by a few years," he mumbled. "But still older," Steve retorted, pointing at him. "And after everything that's happened, I'd feel better knowing you have someone here." Dustin noticed how he said "I" instead of "your mother," but he chose not to comment on it.

"I don't need a babysitter," he said, annoyance clear in his voice. Steve was quick to answer, "Then don't think of it as babysitting! Think of it as... hanging out."

"No, hanging out is what you do with your friends that are the same age as you! I hang out with my friends, and you hang out with yours!"

"Will you shut the hell up and just sit on the couch so we can watch a movie?" Dustin complied but grumbled something under his breath. "Have you had something to eat?" Steve asked, wanting to make sure he was taken care of. "I had a Ding Dong earlier, but I'm not too hungry" he answered, and Steve shook his head, "That won't do. I'll make you something, what would you like to eat?"

"You don't have to-" he started but was cut off.

"It's no problem, I'm hungry too. You okay with grilled cheese?"

"Yeah, grilled cheese is fine," he answered, scratching behind Tews' ears. Steve made his way into the kitchen, Dustin in his tracks. Steve melted a dab of butter in the skillet, looking over his shoulder as he dipped a slice of bread in the butter, "What've you been doing today?"

He shrugged, "Nothing much, I spent the day over at Mike's house playing D&D. The campaign only lasted 8 hours, and after that I came home to say bye to my mom. I've not really been doing anything since. " Steve nodded and listened to what he said, a silence falling between them. Steve took a breath, finally shattering the quiet, "You know, if you ever need someone to talk to about anything, I'm here for you. I know that everything you've been through isn't exactly normal, and it must be worse for you because it affects you more directly. And I'm not saying that because I think I can help you because I'm older so I must have it all figured out. I have my own stuff that makes me less than perfect. I know that must be hard to believe because I'm so handsome," he tried joking, and Dustin smiled a little, making Steve smile himself. "So if there's anything you want or need to say, you can tell me."

Dustin pulled out a chair and sat down while Steve laid a slice of cheese on the bread. "It's like my life has literally turned into a campaign, like it's not real anymore."

"Campaign, that's like the game you play, right? The one with wizards and dragons and shit?" Steve asked and Dustin nodded in confirmation. "I can definitely see how you'd think that. Never in a million years would I think that this kind of stuff would happen to anyone, much less me. Is there anything else you'd like to talk about?"

"There's just- so much on my mind, I don't know how to say it all." Steve set his spatula down and sat on the table next to him, "You know you don't have to talk. I just don't want you to feel like you have to keep it all inside."

"Well, we kinda have to..."

"You know what I mean," Steve said, ruffling his hair. He batted him away, laughing. "Oh shit the grilled cheese!" Steve leapt up, remembering he was supposed to be making them dinner. He saved their sandwiches just in time and they sat on the couch next to each other in a comfortable silence. Steve turned the tv on and let Dustin watch whatever he wanted except for  anything too graphic. They ended up watching The Empire Strikes Back and they both settled in under one of his mom's knitted blankets, Tews curled between them.

"Y'know, Jabba kinda reminds me of Dart," Dustin said with a fond yet sad smile. Steve detected his fallen mood and tried to see if he could help. "I guess we better keep Tews away from him then, huh?" Dustin rolled his eyes, looking away from the tv. "He didn't look like Jabba when he killed Mews. He looked like the Demogorgon, Jabba looks like when he was still a cute little baby!" he explained, as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. All Steve did was furrow his eyebrows and tilt his head, "You think Jabba is cute?"

"Ugh you know what I mean!" Dustin cried, kicking Steve in the ribs gently.

"Alright ahalright, I yield!" Steve surrendered under Dustin's ruthless kicking. "Say, who do you think I'm more like, Luke or Han?" he asked, making over the top facial expressions as he posed for him.

"Between us having to save you and the Farrah Fawcett spray, I'd say you're more like Leia," Dustin retorted, grin so wide it took up nearly half his face and his eyes were squint shut.

Steve let his jaw drop in shock at what was just said. "Excuse you, I saved all of your asses that night and that hairspray made you look amazing so you can't say jack shit about it," he said, once he finally regained the ability to speak.

"I know I was just messin' with ya. I'd have to say you're more like Han than Luke." Steve smiled, satisfied with that answer, "Yeah, I always thought I resembled Harrison Ford."

"He has his whip, and you have your bat."

"Maybe I can get my own movie."

"Fat chance."

Another round of silence took hold of them as their attention settled back on the movie. Steve was the one to break through the quiet this time, "You know what's funny?"

"What?" he asked, looking at him.

"I wasn't really sure about you when you first asked for my help. I kept thinking to myself: What is this kid about? Is this some sort of prank? And the more you talked the more I realized how serious you were, but there was still a part of me that was praying it was all a joke. I walked into that cellar not really knowing what would happen, but when I saw that skin I knew that it was real. I know a lot of crazy shit has happened because of it, but I'm honestly a little bit grateful. I haven't had a whole lot of people who actually care about me, and I think you're the first real friend I've ever had. I just wanted to say thanks for that."

Dustin was speechless at first, but he managed to finally speak, "Steve... That's like the nicest thing anyone's ever said to me." He shrugged, "Yeah well, you're the nicest kid I've ever met so I figured you needed to know," he looked at him out of the corner of his eye and smiled at him. 

"You're not too bad yourself Steve," he complimented him back, and Steve smiled, looking down at the floor. "I never thought I'd have you guys as friends, but I'm glad we are. It's nice to have people who won't screw you over."

"You've had a lot of people screw you over then, huh?" Steve nodded sadly, "Yeah, Nancy was the only one who I think ever really cared about me."

"Was?"

"I mean, I think she still cares about me as a friend, but after spending so many months loving her and trying to do my best, she tells me that everything we are is bullshit! I just don't know why she led me on for so long."

"You know you have a heart of gold, right? You're super kind, and it's hard not to like you, even when you are being a shit."

Steve felt a wave of mischief wash over him after hearing those words, and he supposed this is what it would be like to have a younger brother. "Respect your elders asshole," he said, poking him in the side.

"Stohop!" Dustin laughed, trying to curl into the arm of the couch. Steve smirked, reaching out to poke at him again. "Stop what? I'm not doing anything, you keep running into my hand." He worked his hand underneath Dustin's arm and he let out a loud laugh, trying with all his might to get away. "See? You're doing it now!"

"Noho I'm nohohot you ahahass!" Steve pulled back and gasped, placing a hand over his chest. "Dustin I'm shocked! Do you kiss your mother with that mouth?" he asked, narrowing his eyes to try to appear more serious. Dustin was still giggling slightly as he tried to scoot away, but Steve grabbed his ankles and pulled him back, despite Dustin's protests. "Steheve dooon't," he whined, trying futilely to escape.

"Why noooot?" Steve mocked, scribbling his fingers over his stomach, drawing forth loud cackles. He liked messing with Dustin and hearing him laugh. He knew he needed more laughter in his life. He did let up however, knowing it was important for the kid to breathe. So he settled for pulling him in a tight embrace, scruffing up his hair as much as he could. He was still giggling, but he batted Steve's hands away successfully.

"C'mon, leave me alone," Dustin whined, fixing his hair and trying to smooth it after the assault on his curls. "Now where would the fun in that be?" Steve asked, wiggling his eyebrows. Dustin snorted, rolling his eyes. "You're impossible."

"Why thank you."

"That's wasn't a compliment dumbass."

Steve couldn't help but laugh a little. "I know." He watched him with a fond smile, noticing the twitch of a lingering smile. Dustin settled down, nestling underneath the blanket, and his attention returned to the movie. He soon dozed off, using Steve's shoulder as a pillow, with Tews curled up in his lap. The sound of their snores filled the air, leaving Steve alone with his thoughts.

Steve never thought he would ever feel like this. He was an only child with no younger siblings to look after, and his mother wasn't an affectionate person. His father only acknowledged him to give a lecture, and until he started dating Nancy, he never thought he would settle down. When she shattered his heart and left him broken on the ground, he found this kid. This wonderful, brilliant kid who was smarter than Steve could image. He made him happier than anyone else had in a long time. God, did he love this kid. Until now he didn't know you could love someone this strong, not in an unromantic way at least. Everyone who had been close to him had still felt... distant and somewhat fake. But he knew Dustin was a genuine person, and he knew how lucky he was to have befriended him, no matter the circumstances. And he knew that he would do everything in his power to keep him safe, no matter the cost. He had always been curious about what it was like to have a younger brother like Nancy or Jonathan, but nothing could've prepared him. Cause even though he could be an annoying little shit sometimes, he was still that funny smart kid.

So Steve made himself comfortable, pulling the blanket farther up over Dustin and resting a hand atop Tews' back, feeling the soft purrs emitting from the kitten. He tilted his head back and dozed off, a feeling of content washing over him and lulling him to sleep.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3M 58.2K 104
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC
182K 18.6K 24
"๐™๐™ค๐™ช๐™˜๐™ ๐™ฎ๐™ค๐™ช๐™ง๐™จ๐™š๐™ก๐™›, ๐™œ๐™ž๐™ง๐™ก. ๐™„ ๐™ฌ๐™–๐™ฃ๐™ฃ๐™– ๐™จ๐™š๐™š ๐™ž๐™ฉ" Mr Jeon's word lingered on my skin and ignited me. The feeling that comes when yo...
4.8M 255K 34
Those who were taken... They never came back, dragged beneath the waves never to return. Their haunting screams were a symbol of their horrific death...
656K 33.1K 61
A Story of a cute naughty prince who called himself Mr Taetae got Married to a Handsome yet Cold King Jeon Jungkook. The Union of Two totally differe...