Within The Flames

By layd33_Zana

What if YOU found out that everyone around you was keeping you in a bubble for your "protection"? What if eve... More

Author's note
Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve

Chapter Eight

18 4 11
By layd33_Zana

~ Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

Chapter Eight

I watched as the last of the sun was covered up, the heat dramatically decreasing. I scrunched my nose up at the sky in disappointment, hoping that it was all a joke and bright yellow rays would shine through any moment again.

"Do you think Papa Smurf can use his magic to get rid of clouds for good?" I asked when I realised the clouds were very serious and would not clear out of the way any time soon.

Mike and I were lying on the grass, side by side, somewhere in the centre of the park. Mike had his hands under his head, while I had mine pointed at the sky, in the universal gun symbol, shooting at the sky. My efforts, obviously, went in vain. Ahead of us, possibly a metre, was a concrete walking path and in front of that was a circular pond surrounded by a gate. There was barely anyone around, probably because most people were smart enough to check what the weather was going to be like, but I didn't exactly have a choice.

"You have a very unhealthy obsession with the Smurfs," he commented with a chuckle. I observed his stomach bounce a small extent as he laughed.

"I'm still upset about Mum kicking us out half way through one of the episodes," I huffed, crossing my arms across my chest. I shivered as a light breeze blew our way, knocking Mike's hood off his head and the edge curled inwards as it hit the ground. It looked like it was tucked under his head, as if he put it like that himself to make a little cushion.

"Firstly, you've watched every single episode before, and I'm pretty sure you have that particular one memorised. Secondly, your parents needed to discuss something really important," he replied as he switched to his left side, using his hand to support his head, so that he was facing me.

"Yeah, to talk about me! Why should they get to choose what to tell or hide from me?" I smacked the ground either side of me in frustration. I wanted to use so much more physical violence, attack the next living thing (which was Mike) but I bit my lip, attempting to hold the anger in. There it was again, boiling up so rapidly out of nowhere.

"They just want to keep you safe," he said between blows to my reddened knuckles as he rubbed them. He was always there for me, rubbing at my wounds. Call me crazy, but it always felt like his touches were magic, healing away the pain in an instant.

He released one hand and went for the other, reaching over me as he bore some of his weight on me. We were in such an awkward position that I forgot to breathe for a second. He gently rubbed over my left hand and blew at my knuckles before letting go, then resumed his previous stance with his back against the grass next to me. The gesture distracted me from my anger and caused it to dissipate.

"Does it still hurt?" He asked, and then turned away from me, gazing up at the sky with his hands underneath his head again.

I stretched my fingers then put my hands in fists, repeating this movement several more times. "Err, nope. You really do have magic hands." I received another laugh in response and after a short silence between us, I spoke again, "she didn't even let me get changed properly! Just look at me."

"You look fine." His eyes were closed as he replied.

"Seriously though!" I pinched my top in the shoulder part and let go. "this top is so thin and my trousers need a bloody belt or it keeps slipping a little. And look at my hair! It's knotted all over, she didn't even let me brush it. I can't believe you sat with me in my room when I looked like this. And those bloody clouds took away the last of the warmth."

I could feel the anger building up again. It just came and went, just like that.

"Hestia! What's wrong with you? I can't keep up with your mood swings, just calm down, will you? Here, you can keep warm and cover your hair too!" With one swift movement, he took his dark grey hoodie off and threw it at me. "And what is with your deep hatred of clouds?"

His outburst caused me to jump. I looked at the back of his head, because he was sitting up now gazing into the distance ahead sceptically, but I knew it was better to listen to him than argue. I didn't want his hoodie; I could already see the goose bumps forming on his bare arms, as he was only wearing a white t-shirt, from the wind.

"I had a traumatic experience with clouds when I was a kid." That's when I started thinking back to the days.

I was merged in between the rest of the fidgeting ten and eleven year olds seated on the blue carpet in the class of year 6. We all sat with our legs crossed and our hands in our laps, apart from a few who had their hands flapping about and poking others, definitely not taking the 'hands and feet to yourself' rule seriously enough.

"What about you, Sarah?" Miss Seed asked the girl next to me. She was one of the girls chatting to her friends, without paying attention to the teacher. You could see the red on Miss's cheeks from all the frustration all the kids were causing her.

"What, Miss?" A blush of embarrassment brushed upon Sarah's face as all the attention was on her.

Miss Seed took a seat on the blue chair in front of the carpet, crossing one leg over the other. Her blonde locks fell forward bouncing against her chubby cheeks. Her smudged lips were pressed into a line as she attempted to calm her anger. A vein was visible across her temple.

"Have you not been paying attention? I've been asking the class what they would like to be when they grow up!" Her voice came out louder than anyone expected and the whole class quietened down. I just jumped on my spot.

"I want to be an ice cream driver," she replied as fast as she could.

"And you, Hestia?" She asked more sweetly. I was one of the very few students that behaved in the class. I was very shy at the time.

"Err, one of those people that can fly up to the sky," I replied enthusiastically, eager to relay my dreams to the world.

"A pilot?" Miss Seed cocked a perfectly arched eyebrow.

"Erm, yeah. So that I can fly up and eat all the candy floss!" That was my favourite part. I always drooled over the thought.

The class erupted into laughter and it only caused me to shrink into myself as I tightened my legs around me and my arms closer to me. I didn't understand why they were laughing.

"Candy floss? Do you mean clouds?" I nodded just so that I didn't look stupid. I had no idea what Miss Seed was talking about. "Oh, honey, clouds are made out of water vapour, not candy floss."

And that's how my dreams and hopes were forever crushed.

"Hestia!" I heard Mike shout.

I snapped out of my thoughts and, instantly, felt a splat of coldness on my forehead. This was followed by many more. Mike was stood in front of me with his hand stretched towards me to help me off the ground. I realised then that it was raining and heavily too. A flutter of guilt coursed through me as we ran across the muddy park. His hair fell over his eyes as it got completely soaked and as much as he was trying to hide it, I could tell he was freezing. I told myself that as soon as we found shelter to wait under until the rain stopped, I would give him his hoodie back. I did have a long sleeved top on after all. He needed it more than I did.

We ran around like headless chicken for the most part of ten minutes, until we remembered there was a café within the park, somewhere in the east side.

"Here, take your hoodie, keep yourself warm," I offered as we took a seat around a small round, blue table. The café was pretty much empty too with one other man, who was clever enough to be wearing a long coat with a hood, who was also here for protection against the rain.

The café was very small, fitting only a small counter and seven small tables with two chairs around each. It was decorated with small plants in all four corners of the room.

"Keep it for now, hide that hideous hair of yours. Besides, it's all soaked, it won't keep anyone warm." Mike brushed off the gesture as he shook the rain out of his hair.

"Hey!" I scrunched my nose up at him referring to the hair part.

"I'm joking, Foyles. I told you already that you look fine. I'm going to go order a coffee, would you like anything?" He stood up.

"No, thank you." Mum didn't even give me time to take my phone, let alone my purse.

He made his way to the counter and it gave me time to think. Mike made it clear that he was a part of those who knew something about me that I didn't know. I needed to confess something to someone that could possibly understand and decipher what it meant for me. Mike took longer than I'd expected since there was no one else ordering anyway and how long could it take for a person to make a coffee?

When he returned, he placed one cup in front of me and sat on the chair opposite mine, taking a sip out of the other cup he had in his hand. He didn't say anything for the longest of time, just continued sipping and staring out of the window, watching the clouds shower with their cries. Oh, how I wish clouds never existed.

"Mike?" I eventually plucked up the courage to talk to him.

"Mmm?" What was he thinking about that he didn't even look at me? He was fine not too long ago and now, it's a different picture.

"I have something to say..." I trailed off, waiting for him to look at me. When he did, his eyes were glassed with an unexplainable expression. I couldn't tell what he was thinking; he looked like one of those men who were standing by my door earlier, very expressionless. Maybe he'll make a good guard one day.

"What is it, Foyles?" His eyes softened and so did his voice. Mine was obviously portraying worry for him to respond in that way. I sighed in relief because for a second I thought I wouldn't be able to open up.

"I can tell you... stuff, right?" I settled on, thinking about my words carefully. "I mean, I've known you since we were kids and I trust you. Plus, you know something about me, things that my parents refuse to tell me and, and ––"

"You're rambling. Tell me what's bothering you, Foyles. You can tell me anything, you know that." One side of his lips curved downwards with uncertainty, as if he was offended by my comment.

I took a sip from the cup he placed in front of me, making a mental note of paying him back, as the warmth of the chocolate liquid slid through my throat. I sighed with satisfaction, smiling at him in gratitude.

"I've been feeling strange lately, like, every little thing causes me to get angry. I mean, I've never gotten this angry in my life, especially not with my parents. It just comes out of nowhere for the simplest things, in fact. I've noticed that I just snap at everyone and I've been so rude lately, I even made Olivia cry. Everything just makes me want to blow someone's head off and burn everything down." Even though I wasn't finished with what I wanted to say, my last few words reminded me of the incident that happened at my house; the fires and Olivia fainting.

"I didn't tell them about that," he simply commented as if he could read my mind.

"How... wha ––"

"Like you said, we've known each other since we were kids. I can read you like a book," he smirked behind the cup. "And I don't plan on telling them. I don't think you should mention it either. You might get in trouble."

"I don't get it though. Why can't I keep my anger in? I mean, I'm usually so good at keeping my feelings contained. Mike, I don't even know what to do!" There was no response to that. He resumed his gaze out of the window, the rain slowly decreasing.

"Foyles, is there ever a time you're not angry?" He asked after the longest time. His eyes were shut, so for a second, I thought he fell asleep.

"Hmm."

"Well?"

"I'm thinking!" I snapped and realising I lost my patience, I apologised to him.

"Take your time."

"Well, I guess there is. Whenever I'm around or just messaging Das, that's probably the only time I don't even feel an ounce of anger," I frowned. That was strange, but that was truly the only time I could think of.

"Hestia, do you like him?" His eyes were squeezed into slits, revealing his distaste.

"What?" I was shocked by the sudden question that I spat the thin liquid out of my mouth and over the table. I'm sure some of it splattered onto his t-shirt. He didn't appear to notice.

"Just answer me." I jumped at the unnecessary harshness which came out of nowhere.

"N-no. He's just a friend." I stuttered from fear.

"Good."

"Why?" I raised an eyebrow.

"Oh look, the rain has stopped, let's go see if your parents are done talking." And that was the end of that conversation.

-------

A/N ~ Sorry for such a long wait. It's been crazy at works, I hadn't had the time to upload, but here you go. This chapter does take some timeout of all the craziness and pain from her life and to do some character development. I wanted to show some more of the relationship the two have with each other. 

Hope you enjoyed it even though there was no development in her finding out about what she is. 

Please let me know what you think in terms of character development. A little time out is good sometimes, right? 

Thank you all for sticking to the story. 

P.S Dedicated to @HIREATHS for being such an awesome person, although she hasn't read the story yet, but she's just too amazing not to lol. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1K 83 37
[CURRENTLY BEING H E A V I L Y REVISED AS A NEAR COMPLETE DIFFERENT STORY] "Over a millennia ago, before the portals to the Earth were sealed off, th...
Invictus By Ellie

Teen Fiction

868 59 7
"Anybody who would get near her would turn into Icarus that came too close to the sun." •••• Those monsters conceal themselves behind a mask of norma...
109 13 15
[Entry for the 2021 Open Novella Contest with prompts 1 and 20!] "Truth is, there are no innocent people in this world. Never has been, never will be...
152 12 10
"SILVERMOON!" Hestia Potter's life took an unexpected turn when she stepped into the hidden corridors of Hogwarts. As the twin sister of the famous H...