Monro His Expedition by Rober...

By exclassics

MONRO HIS EXPEDITION WITH THE WORTHY SCOTS REGIMENT CALLED MAC-KEYES THE MEMOIRS OF GENERAL MONRO 1626-1634 P... More

INTRODUCTION
THE SECOND PART UNDER HIS Majesty of SWEDEN
EXERCISES AND MEDITATIONS
APPENDICES

THE FIRST PART UNDER HIS Majesty of DENMARK

12 0 0
By exclassics

The first Duty discharged in Holstein at Krampe.

The old proverb is, A good beginning makes a good ending, and to lead a good life, is the way to a happy death. Immediately after our landing at Glückstadt on the Elbe, by command of his Majesty of Denmark, we were quartered in the fat and fertile soil of Holstein, nothing inferior in fertility to any part of Dutchland, except in wines, having corn in abundance, to the increase Communibus Annis of the twenty eight corn, wheat and barley: in milk, nothing inferior to Holland, and for the most part inhabited by Hollanders, especially the cities. This soil hath also abundance of fresh and salt-water fishes; their gentry live like noblemen, and their communalty live like gentlemen. During our enquartering with them, our entertainment was answerable to our charges, where some officers had allowance of a piece a day for keeping good order. Lieutenant Colonel Arthur Forbesse had the command over the regiment in the absence of the Colonel, being hindered by sickness. Shortly after our going over, the Lieutenant Colonel departed this life, being a gentleman of much true worth, and a valourous commander, much regrated by the whole regiment. Immediately after his death, Captain Sanders Seaton was by his Majesty's patent made Lieutenant Colonel to the regiment, who did bring a strong company of well exercised soldiers, which were joined to strengthen the regiment. Captain James Dumbarre, who did get Lieutenant Colonel Forbes his company, was placed sergeant major, Captain Sinclaire, Captain Boswell, and Captain Ennis' companies were reduced to strengthen the other companies of the regiment, which being made complete, were mustered, clothed, and paid of their muster-month. Who then would disdain to follow wars, might be thought unwise. The Baron of Fowles coming over a volunteer, was allowed a free table to entertain an Earl, being ordinarily above sixteen persons at table; his visitors, horses and servants entertained accordingly.

The regiment mustered received colours, wherein his Majesty would have the officers to carry the Danes' Cross, which the officers refusing they were summoned to compeare before his Majesty at Rendsburg, to know the reasons of their refusals; at the meeting none would adventure, fearing his Majesty's indignation, to gainestand openly his Majesty's will, being then his Majesty's sworn servants: and for the eschewing of greater inconvenience, the officers desired so much time of his Majesty, as to send Captain Robert Ennis into England, to know his Majesty of Great Britain's will, whether or no, they might carry without reproach the Dane' Cross, in Scottish colours: answer was returned; they should obey their will, under whose pay they were, in a matter so indifferent.

During the tedious winter, the regiment was well exercised, and put under good discipline, as well the particular companies, as the whole regiment, so that mine eyes did never see a more complete regiment, for bodies of men, and valiant soldiers; as shall be seen in the discharge of their duties, begun with the sheding of Dutch blood.

A Dutch captain, having out of a mad humour mutilated a soldier of my captain's company of one finger, the soldier complaining to me, I made my lieutenant-colonel acquainted with the manner, who sent to the captain to know his reason; The captain, not repenting of the wrong done, but rather bragging he would second the first, with a greater: he coming through my quarters, I being exercising the company, the sergeant overtakes him, and almost killed him, who made no defence, neither pressed ever to be repaired of his wrongs. This duty begun with the shedding of Dutch blood by one of my name, and kindred. In the continuance of the story, you shall hear much blood shed, of all nations in Europe, and of ours not the least. But of my friends, and mine, too much.

The first Observation.

The land of Holstein full of prosperity at this time, having all things in a golden swim, and waving carelessly in a swallowing plenty, having her heart full of pleasures, disdaining what was to come, ruin seized upon this land within six months, after our rising from quarters, to our first expedition, towards the Weser stream. At our coming into the land, the proudest sort of them, disdained soldiers, saying, they had no need of strangers, they were sufficiently able themselves to hold out the Emperor's forces, their passes were strong, their power in arms were mighty of horse and foot, as any province in Germany; notwithstanding whereof, in a short time, they felt the wrath of Heaven, and were ruinated in the midst of their fortunes. I wish my country, by a timely prevention to avoid the like, by suspecting the smooth stream, being ordinarily deepest; lest they should become subject unto their enemies, their land wasted with fire, and sword, their buildings, and plantings destroyed, their riches, and jewels made spoil of, their wives abused, and their daughters deflowered, themselves banished, and their religion persecuted; in so much that their pastors flying to the altar for refuge, were cruelly put to death. Since therefore their enemies are our enemies, we ought to beware.

We ought also not to deny our betters in things indifferent, lest the askers' love wax dry, and his revenge grow great: for to a generous spirit, as it is hard to beg, so it is harsh to be denied. Our officers refusing to carry the the Danes' Cross in their colours, disobliged his Majesty so far, by their denials of a thing indifferent, that after the death of our worthy Lieutenant Colonel Arthur Forbesse, Lieutennant-Colonel Seaton was preferred against the officers' wills, who once placed, would refuse nothing unto his Majesty he would command.

By his Majesty's authority, against the colonel's will, Captain Duncan Forbesse, and Captain John Forbesse, for alleged insufficiency, were put off their command, and their companies given to others, whom his Majesty favoured. But time that alters all things, having favoured them, they were restored to their companies again.

When we have good days we slight them, when they are gone, we sink under the wring of sorrow, for their loss; and want teacheth us the worth of things more truly: and it is a true saying, Blessings appear not, till they be vanished. Our officers that were discontented under the King of Denmark without reason, having had both good quarters, and money, thereafter in other services would have been contented with less. We ought then, to make use of the present, preserving that we have, and if it go, to grieve as little, as we may: yet we ought to owe a dear respect to the memory of the good we lost.

Certainly, a good resolution is the most fortifying armour a discreet man can wear; that can defend him against all the unwelcome frowns, that the poor world puts upon him: with this, we can be servants as well as lords, and have the same inward pleasantness in the checks of fortune, that we carried in her softest smiles; It was Xantippe's observation, that she ever found Socrates return with the same countenance, that he went abroad withal. I wish no man so spiritless, as to let all abuses press the dullness of a willing shoulder: for resolution is always necessary in the wain of fortune, to save us from discontentments, that usually deject us. A wise man makes the trouble less by fortitude, when a fool stoops to it. The world hath nothing so glorious as virtue, which is like the passage of Hannibal over the Alps, a work of trying toil, of infinite danger, but once performed, it lets him in unto the world's garden, Italy leaving him a lasting fame.

My chief and cousin, the Baron of Fowles, being in his travels in France a little prodigal in his spending, redacted his estate to a weak point, being advised by his friends timely to look to the wounds of his house and family, and to foresee the best cure to keep burden off his estate, having engaged his revenues, for ten years, to pay his creditors, he went beyond sea a volunteer to Germany with Mac-Keye's regiment, well accompanied with a part of his nearest friends: and having the patience to attend his fortune, his first employment was to be a captain of a company of Scots soldiers, levied by himself, and thereafter advanced to be a colonel of horse & foot of strangers, under the invincible King of Sweden of worthy memory.

Thus far of the Baron of Fowles in my first observation, to animate other cavaliers born of less fortunes to follow his virtues in being patient, though their preferments come not at first, loving virtue for her end.

Here also we see by the example of the Dutch captain formerly spoken of, that pride in a noble nature is as rare to be found, as humility in an unworthy mind; and arrogancy is a weed that ever grows in a dunghill, and no circumstance can make the expression of pride laudable: for the affronting man by his own folly, should be taught the way to his duty, as the Dutch captain was, who, out of his pride and arrogancy, would second a first wrong with contempt, was taught humility, in so much, as he was made beholden to those for his life, whom out of his pride he had offended.

The second duty discharged, of the rising of the regiment from quarters going on their first March.

The Colonel recovered of his sickness took shipping from Scotland to Holland, and from thence over land to Holstein, accompanied with Captain Mac-Kenyee, and Captain Pomfrey, arrived in the latter end of March Anno 1627 in Holstein, where he was welcomed by his regiment. At his coming, orders were given, his regiment should be brought in arms at Itzehoe, where his Majesty would take their oaths of fidelity. The regiment being come together at the rendezvous, was drawn up in three divisions, attending his Majesty's coming, in good order of battle, all officers being placed according to their stations orderly, colours flying, drums beating, horses neighing, his Majesty comes royally forward, salutes the regiment, and is saluted again with all due respect, and reverence, used at such times; his Majesty having viewed front, flanks and rear, the regiment fronting always towards his Majesty, who having made a stand ordained the regiment to march by him in divisions, which orderly done, and with great respect, and reverence, as became; his Majesty being mightily well pleased, did praise the regiment, that ever thereafter was most praiseworthy. The Colonel, and the principal officers having kissed his Majesty's hand, retired to their former stations, till the oath was publicly given, both by officers, and soldiers being drawn in a ring by conversion, as use is, at such times. The oath finished, the articles of wars read, and published, by a bank of the drummer major, and his associates, the regiment remitted marches off orderly by companies, to their quarters, to remain till orders were given, for their up-breaking. The next day the Colonel, and Lieutenant colonel, were commanded to march over the Elbe with seven companies, and to beset the town of Stade with two companies, and then to march with the other five towards the Weser stream, to join with the English forces commanded by General Morgan, being four regiments of foot.

The sergeant Major Dumbarre, with the remnant four companies, was commanded towards Lauenburg, fearing the enemy was to cross the Elbe: our orders duly followed, we are thus severed, marching to our severall rendezvous, entering to take pains, for our former too much pleasure and riot, used in our winter quarters:

On this expedition towards the Weser stream, unfortunately Captain Boswell coming after the regiment was killed by a number of villanous boors, ever enemies to soldiers: the cavalier's death was much regrated of all that knew him, and no reparation had for his death. But the boors being fled, the dorp was burnt off.

Being thus joined to General Morgan his forces, where we remained ten weeks, having had great duty in watching, many alarms, but little service, so that our soldiers longing for service said, the Imperialists were no enemies; yet when the service was once offered, the smart came with it in great.

Our lieutenant colonel and his company did march from us towards Lauenburg, and joined with the other four companies, and the sergeant Major Dumbarre was sent to command the Colonel's division on the Weser, the Colonel being gone to solicit moneys for the regiment, seeing the English regiment did get weekly means, whereas we were entertained on proviant bread, beer and bacon.

The second Observation.

Nothing procures more faithful service, than the master's liberality. This magnanimous King his liberality we could not complain of, having paid us in money, and with assignation of moneys, on our own King; and good quarters we had, which were not reckoned unto us; our true fidelity his Majesty did oft-times commend, and our service both. Therefore in my opinion, that blood is not to be accounted lost, which is shed for a noble master. Diligent, and discreet servants, are the best friends a noble king, or prince can be blest withal: And as our deserving in this service was good, our respect was more than answerable; having been many times feasted, and royally entertained, at his Majesty's table; being of servants, made companions to the King our master. Let no man then think it bondage, to serve a noble master, and a bountiful king, as this was; yet he that lacks this ambition, to be made companion to earthly kings, following this worldly warfare, I would admonish him, to be thankful to the King of Kings, for his peace, and quietness at home, and in his prosperity, to make his acquaintance with God, that if adversity come, he may be the bolder with his Maker, by prayer, which is the key to open heaven, and the means to remove our adversity: for to reach unto God, we must humble ourselves by prayer, uniting us unto him, through the greatness of our love; for if we love God, we will be painful to seek him, and to find him, we must enter in the narrow way; and if we will be partakers of his meat, we must first taste of his continency; if we will follow him to the breaking of his bread, like valiant soldiers, we must not faint, till we drink of his cup; and to gain him, we must learn to lose ourselves, for his sake. Let not then this saying be hard unto us, Forsake yourselves, take up your cross, and follow me: if we faint at this, and not prove as resolute soldiers, the next would be harder (the reward of poltroons) depart from me you cursed unto everlasting fire, I know you not. While then we have peace, and quietness, I wish we may be familiar with this King of Kings, the Lord of Hosts, and say in particular, Thou art my King, O God; enter into his tabernacle, and salute Jesus Christ thy Saviour, and Redeemer, the head of all principalities, and powers, and let thy desire be, to be with him, in the land of the living. Then let the Heavens rejoice, let Satan flee, and Hell tremble, and let thy conscience cry, Christ is my Saviour; the world thou must despise, Heaven thou must desire, and in truth say, Christ is my Saviour; without this assurance, all our knowledge, all our glory, all our honours, are imperfect, and of no effect: lest therefore, thou shouldst check me, being but a vain soldier, saying, it is a good world, when the fox begins to preach, leaving thee to God, I will return to my observation, on my regiment's march, the continuance of it, for nine years successive, in breadth, in length, in circle, in turning, in returning, in advancing to, and from our enemies, in weal, and woe, from the Baltic Sea, to the Weser stream, from the Weser stream, to Ruppin in the Mark, from Ruppin to Wismar on the Baltic Coast, from Wismar by water unto Holstein toward Oldenburg, from thence by Sea, to Flensburg in Holstein, from thence to Denmark, where in two years time, we did circuit the island, with several marches, by land, and expeditions by water, being alike able for both, not like to the High Dutch, whose head nor stomach cannot endure the water. Being thanked of, by his Majesty of Denmark, having made peace with the Emperor in May 1629, from Denmark our expedition by water (having taken service anew, under the Lion of the North the invincible King of Sweden) did continue towards Prussia, from thence to the Baltic Coast again, and from thence to the River of Danube, that runs from the foot of the Alps in Schwabenland to the Adriatic Sea, and, had our master of worthy memory lived, we had crossed the Alps into Italy, and saluted the Pope within Rome. But the loss of this Lion to lead us, was the loss of many, and of this old regiment, the remains whereof are yet on the Rhine, where with twenty thousand Scots like them, I would wish to be, to do service to the Jewel of Europe, the Daughter of our King the Queen of Bohemia, and to her princely issue.

My first advancement to preferment (through the love of my colonel,) was on this first march, being without contradiction, though not without envy, placed to command, as major over the regiment, in the major his absence.

So Jacob's blessing, bred Esau's hate, nature having made some as antipathite to virtue, they were made sick by my health. But for me, if another excel me in virtue, I will make him my example to imitate, not my block to stumble on: If in wealth, I'll with him bless God, for his plenty, seeing God hath enough for me, and him both.

The killing of Captain Boswell on this march, should be an advertisement to all cavaliers, coming after a regiment, or army, upon march, to look well unto themselves, not offering any occasion of offence, being weakest, for the rascal sort of communalty, are ever soon stirred to mischief, especially an army having passed by, which, for the most part, never goes through dorp, or village, but some notorious villain commits some insolency or other, for which oft times, the innocent doth pay.

Having joined after our march to General Morgan's forces upon the Weser, being quartered in open dorps, the enemy not far from us, it was my fortune to have the first night's watch, as captain of the watch to oversee all guards, the avenue to the dorp on all quarters, being well beset, with convenient guards, and sentries, under silence of night General Morgan, accompanied with four gentlemen with fire-locks to try us, being young soldiers, gave fire on our outer sentry, our sentry having discharged, retired to the next sentry. I called the guard to their arms, finding the alarm continuing, caused the sergeant of the guard, with twelve musketeers, advance to skirmish with them, to know what for alarm it was, and to see what hinderhalt they had: the General Morgan finding us discharging the duty of understanding soldiers, gave presently notice unto the sergeant, what he was, and desired to speak with the captain of the watch, whereupon the sergeant conveyed his Excellency unto me, to the place of my guard, being the rendezvous for the regiment in case of alarm to draw up unto, and finding the most part of the regiment, on sudden with their colours in good order, praising them for their good watch-keeping, his Excellency asked for the colonel, and went to see him.

It is the property of our nation, an enemy being near in time of an alarm to be in readiness before any other nation, though at other times, on watches, or repairing to their colours, on marches or in garrison, they are more careless than others. But once coming to earnest, or in great extremity of danger; to give them their due, they are not inferior to any nation, so far, as I did ever see, or learn of others, older commanders than myself. Yet many false alarms, as we had on the Weser make soldiers, and the most diligent, at last careless, till they feel the smart of some sudden surprise, to rouse them, the better to go readily to their duties.

The want of pay at the Weser made our soldiers a little discontent, seeing the English get due weekly pay; Nevertheless, I did never hear of our nation's mutiny, nor of their refusal to fight, when they saw their enemies, though I have seen other nations call for gilt, being going before their enemy to fight, a thing very disallowable in either officer, or soldier, to prefer a little money to a world of credit.

It is a great part of a colonel's duty, timely to foresee for all things necessary, that may give content to those under his command, lest being justly discontented, he might be grieved, whilst it were not in his power to help himself, or others.

The liberality of a colonel and his care in foreseeing, for his regiment, returns to him oft-times with triple profit, being with moderation familiar with his officers, making them, as humble friends, not as servant, under command, and he ought by all means eschew to come in question, or public hearing with his officers: the only means to make himself famous, and his regiment of long continuance.

The third duty discharged of our March from the Weser towards Boizenburg on the Elbe.

Having thus remained the space of ten weeks under the command of General Morgan on the Weser side, we got orders to break up, and to continue our march over the Elbe under Hamburg, and from thence, toward Boizenburg Skonce, to join with the rest of our regiment, the Colonel and Lieutenant Colonel being absent, Major James Dumbar commanded then in chief, receiving all necessaries fitting for our march, as ammunition; proviant, and wagons, for our baggage, our sick soldiers being cared for, were left behind, and we broke up from the Weser the tenth of July 1627, a regiment of horse being commanded with us for our convoy to the Elbe, the first night we quartered at Rotenburg a strong pass, having a great marsh on both sides, accessible only by one narrow causeway which leads through the marsh to the castle, which is well fenced on both sides with moats, drawbridges, and slaught-booms, without all.

The next day our march continuing, in the morning our fore-troops having gotten alarm retired on us, whereupon we drawing into battle, resolved to fight, and provided ourselves accordingly for the enemies' coming, which being found, but a false conception, nothing followed on it, but the continuance of our march, without further interruption.

The next night we lying in quarters, our guards orderly disposed, before day we had another alarm, our duty duly discharged of all, both horse and foot, if the enemy had come we were provided; But the alarm proving false, we broke up, continuing our march toward Buxtehude appointed for our first rendezvous: where we were commanded to send to his Majesty at Stade, for receiving of further orders, and a company of horse being directed with me, for my convoy, I was made choice of, to go to his Majesty for bringing orders unto the regiment. His Majesty being absent, orders were given to me by a general commissary to continue our march thorough Buxtehude and to quarter overnight in the old land by the Elbe side, till the next day we should cross the River of the Elbe at Blankenese, and from thence to march by Hamburg through their territories, and pass towards Lauenburg, where we quartered a mile from it, continuing our march the next morning towards Boizenburg, where we quartered in the fields, for five nights, till we knew of his Majesty's further resolution.

The third Observation.

All marches are occasioned by the accidents of the warfare. The reason of this march was the enemies' army drawing strong to a head in Lüneburg land, of intention to force a passage over the Elbe to come the easier to Holstein: his Majesty being weak of foot in this quarter, having no great fear of his enemy on the Weser, where we lay before we were therefore called to join with the rest of our regiment at Boizenburg. Another reason of this march was, the King's forces in Silesia being also weak of foot, standing in great need of a timely supply, we being able to endure a long march, his Majesty resolved after besetting well the pass on the Elbe, to send us for a supply unto the Silesian army: Nevertheless many times we see in wars, though things be long advised on, and prosecuted after advice duly, yet the event doth not always answer to man's conjectures: For it is a true old saying; Man proposeth, but God disposeth.

A commander having the charge of a regiment, or party, on a march, ought in all respects to be as careful and diligent as a general, that leads an army, being subject to the like inconvenience of fortune. Wherefore he ought to be well provided of all things fitting for his march, that, in time of rencounter with the enemy, he might the better discharge his duty, especially being provided with good store of ammunition, both for the mouth and service, with sufficient fix arms.

He ought also, for his march ever to have good intelligence, lest his enemy should circumvent him. He ought also to order his march, according to the country's situation he marches thorough, appointing his rendezvous nightly, short, or long, as his quarters may fall in best security.

He ought also to keep his officers and soldiers in continual good order of discipline, without suffering the one, or the other to fall off from their stations, without great and urgent occasions; and if any of them chance to fall off, he is obliged to foresee to their timely returns.

Likewise he ought not in any manner of way suffer violence to be used to boors, or strangers in his march, and if such doth happen, he is obliged to do justice to all, and to see exemplary punishment done, to terrify others from the like. He ought also, to be careful to give none under his command just occasion of complaint, for want of their dues, either in quarters, or in distributing of their victuals, according to their strengths. He ought also on his march to be provident, in causing to bring their proviant timely to their rendezvous, or halts; seeing it to be rightly distributed, for avoiding of contentions happening most commonly at such times.

Also he must foresee before he makes a halt, that the ground be convenient where he draws up, whether he be in fear of an enemy, or not; and at such times, he must be careful, that sentries be duly placed, at all parts needful, and that no man be suffered to wander, or go astray, from the halting part, for fear he be to seek, when occasion should present either to break up, to march, or otherwise, in case of alarm, to have his officers, or soldiers wandering, while as the enemy should charge, were a gross error.

Likewise, he ought to be of strict command, and authority to punish those that on a march leave their arms behind them, or that are careless in keeping their arms both fix, and clean. In quartering either in village, field or city, he must give orders for his posts to keep guards upon, and he ought himself to recognize all avenues, and inquire of the known countrymen, the passes, whereby his enemies may come unto him, and of the distance he is from his enemy; he must also direct parties on all quarters of horsemen to get intelligence, and conceit of his enemy, lest unawares he should be surprised.

Likewise at his upbreaking from quarters, he should take notice of all complaints, and do justice accordingly: And he should have a special care of the sick, either to transport them, or to foresee for their good usage, in case necessity, or weakness force him to leave them behind. He ought also, to foresee before he march for his guides and to give charge to keep them from running away; and he ought to learn of the guide the inconveniences on the way that may be hindersome unto his march, that timely he might provide a remedy. His guide should also know how far to go, that when he comes his length, he may timely provide for another. He ought also to learn the best way for his baggage, and ammunition to march on, and in case of suspected danger, he ought to ordain a guard of musketeers with a sufficient officer to command for their convoy, and if it be such way, as that on occasion his ammunition cannot be steadable unto him, in such a case he must not part from his ammunition wagons; but rather to keep one way, though it should be far about.

He ought never for pastime, or pleasure, on a suspected march near an enemy, to go from the sight of his troops; for fear he should be absent in greatest need, or that some misfortune might happen between those he commands himself, or against others incurring in their ways. If occasion of service offer, he must never be dejected, but to encourage ever his own most in the greatest extremity, showing testimonies of his inward valour and settledness of mind, by his by-past experience, testifying he is no novice, not taking counsel of others, when he is with resolution to rencounter a brave enemy.

He must be of judgment to consider on the sudden his enemies' design, and timely he ought to oppose his enemy, either with few, or with many, as he finds his best advantage, And if his enemy be too far stronger than he, he must timely resolve how to make a safe retreat, being forced thereto; preserving his soldiers, to a fitter opportunity: for once far engaged, the retreat will be the more difficult to make without great loss; He ought always to keep a good reserve of fresh, brave, resolute fellows to keep faces on their enemies, while as others should be forced to turn back on them: at such times, and in such occasions the resolution, the courage, and the judgment of a valourous commander is best known; for many can advance rashly, that have never the wit, or judgment to retire bravely, as is ordinarily seen in many such commanders, more stout, than wise. But lest I should enter too far to this purpose in this observation, for fear to be blamed myself for not retiring in time, it being a large field I entered in, let this suffice for this march of the leader's duty.

Now to retire, being quartered a mile from Lauenburg in a dorp, where the boor for fear quit his lodging, so that for want of provision we were forced to send our sutler called John Matheson, towards Lauenburg: in his absence our boys made use of his rug to cover their faces; in drowning of bee-hives, the rug being rough did lodge a number of the bees, which, when the boys had drowned the bee-hives, they threw away: The sutler coming late home we being abed, went to rest; and putting off his clothes, drew his rug to cover him, but as soon as the bees found the warmness of his skin, they began to punish him for his long stay, that he was forced roaring like a madman, to rise, and throw off his rug, not knowing (though well he felt) the smart of his sudden enemies; we called to him, asking, if he was mad: he made no answer, but still cried the devil had bewitched him, in piercing him in a thousand parts, still rubbing and scratching, crying with pain, not knowing the reason, till a candle was lighted, and seeing the bees, threw his rug in a draw-well; The gentle reader may judge whether, or not, he was punished, for his long stay. Thus Seria mista jocis.

The fourth duty discharged of our march from Boizenburg to Ruppin in the Mark, and of the storming of Boizenburg Skonce.

Having rested here three days on the fields, till our Colonel came from Hamburg with a month's means to the regiment, our moneys paid, we got orders for a new march towards Ruppin in the Mark, where the old Markegrave von Turlaugh lay at Havelberg with a part of his Majesty's army, and the enemy lay against him on the other side of the Havel, our orders were to divide our regiment again, and to leave Major Dumbarre with four companies to beset Boizenburg Skonce, the enemies' army being then within five miles of it, ten thousand strong of foot besides horse. The other seven companies were ordained to march with the Colonel and Lieutenant colonel towards Ruppin, as said, is; we severed not without tears, both of officers and soldiers. But he that serves a master, must obey. The first night our comrades accompanied us to our quarters. The next morning our march continuing, news overtakes us, the enemy is set down before Boizenburg Skonce. In the relation of the service I must be succinct, being loath, having not seen the service, to set anything in record, but what I know to be truth, neither can I be particular in the declaration of this service done by our countrymen, though it be generally well spoken of, over all Germany, yet I must say somewhat, and if my report diminish from their credit, I protest it is not for lack of love, but for want of information.

The enemy hearing we were marched, and having gotten true intelligence how strong they lay in the skonce, he marched ten thousand strong, and lay down within a cannon shot of the skonce, and having begun his lines of approach, the first night, the Major made an out-fall, where having bravely shown their courage, and resolution, returned again without great loss.

The enemy longing to be repared of this their bravado, resolved to storm the skonce at all quarters, but finding resolution joined with valour against him, after long fighting in vain, he is beat off from the walls, and forced to retire at that time, with the loss of five hundred men at least. But having redoubled his forces the next time, sets on with greater fury than before, but is beat off the second time also, with loss; the third time he adventured, and, as was reported, the Scots defenders, as is well known, behaved themselves so well, that the enemy storming the walls, the defenders for want of powder threw sand in their enemies' eyes, knocking them down with the butts of muskets, having been divers times pell-mell through others; at last the enemy is forced to retire without effectuating anything.

Yet, gentle reader, think that at such play, the loss was not only of one side, but of both, for in defence of this skonce being so oft stormed; that ever praise-worthy Captain Learmond, brother to my Lord Balcomy, being twice shot with a musket, received death's wound, and after died at Hamburg, in perfect memory, discharging his duty Christianly to God, as he did during his life time both to God and man.

For his sake, and in remembrance of his worth and valour, the whole officers of the regiment did wear a black mourning ribbon: in this conflict also was killed his Lieutenant, called David Martin, an old, stout and expert officer: many other valourous fellows, that were there, carried the true marks of their valour imprinted in their bodies, for their country's credit. There was also, a Scottish gentleman under the enemy, who coming to scale the walls, said aloud, Have with you gentlemen, think not now you are on the streets of Edinburgh bravadoing: One of his own countrymen thrusting him through the body with pike, he ended there. This skonce so well maintained by our countrymen, is to their praise recorded at length in the Dutch story of the Dane's Wars, where the curious reader may learn more of it. The enemy finding this opportunity to fail, at another pass above this on the Elbe watched by Dutch surprising the watch, did come over the Elbe: the news coming to his Majesty, he presently sends orders in the night to Major Dumbarre, who commanded the skonce to retire, and to bring off his cannon, and to cut off the bridge, and then to come by water with his troups to Lauenburg, and to beset the Castle thereof with two companies, and to retire with the rest to Glückstadt, which accordingly was done, to their great credit.

Major Wilson being set with two companies on the castle of Lauenburg, the enemy falling down, General Tilly leading the army, coming before the castle, doth summon it to render, the Major refusing, he is besieged, the enemies' batteries having played a little on the castle, the Major parleys for accord, before the parley, General Tilly is shot through the thigh, pledges delivered, the accord agreed on, he should march out with bag and baggage, drums beating, Bale an Bouche, with a convoy granted to them to Glückstadt, the accord subscribed, but neither circumspectly nor wisely by the Major: at his out-coming his colours are taken from him, having forgot to insert them in his accord, he complaining of the breach is bidden read it, and finding it was so, was forced to march without colours to Glückstadt, where, for his over-sight, he was set from charge, with disgrace, and the company restored again to the right owner, Captain Duncan Forbesse, and incontinent Major Dumbarre, with four companies, was commanded to beset Stadt-holder Ransove his castle of Breddenburg in Holstein; the enemy having already fallen into the land. Which discourse I must now leave, and prosecute the continuance of our march towards Ruppin.

After this service the renown spread so abroad, wherever we came, that the gentry of the country were ready meeting us, providing all necessaries for us. The Duke of Weimar, the Dukes of Mecklenburg, with a number of gallant ladies, did visit us in our march, to congratulate with us the good fortune, and good service, done by our comrades. But if we should look to the outside of soldiers, these four companies were the meanest of our regiment to the outward appearance. Our march continues to Ruppin, where we were to receive further orders of General Major Slamersdorffe: our orders were to draw up in battle before the town of Ruppin, where the General Major would come, and see us, his intention being to bring the town under contribution, otherwise to fright them with inquartering of the regiment: his intention effectuated, we were led in quarters or dorps, for three days to rest us, seeing our intentions were to march unto Silesia.

The fourth Observation.

IN this observation, though the duty be suddenly discharged, we have much to amplify the observation; first, by reason of the dispute that did arise betwixt his Majesty and the Colonel, for offering to cashier some of his officers for alleged insufficiency, by the information of some malignant spirits amongst ourselves, whose names I will suppress, and the reasons also, letting some other tongue, not mine, divulge their shame. At this time also before our rising to this expedition we were discontented of the division made of our regiment, being absolutely divided by his Majesty's authority, without the consent of our Colonel, who would have been loath to have left Captain Learmond behind, that had done him so many notable good offices, and this noble gentleman of famous memory, at his leave-taking of his Colonel, my brother and me, being then his entirest comrades, with tears revealed unto us, whom he thought was the plotter of his stay, and withal did with grief in a manner foretell his own fall, alleging we should never meet again. Therefore, for the love I bare to my dear comrade, I will point at the heart of those, who had a hand in the separation of the regiment. I must therefore crave pardon a little, to express my duty for the loss of this noble, and virtuous cavalier, whose heart and eyes were ever fixed upon virtue, and upon his love to his dear friends. He hates nor, but with cause, that is unwilling to hate at all. And it is the end that shows the difference betwixt virtue and vice. Fie then upon those judgements, that, for their own aims, hatch the ruin of their comrades, in fore-thinking, and pursuing evil. And as the discharge of my last duty was tragical, the reasons of it I will set down obscurely, pointing at some, that every man may examine his own conscience, that had any hand in plotting, or hatching, (by villanous policy, bred of envy,) the ruin of their comrades, the reward whereof doth still await them with shame in a killing ambush, when the Lord of Hosts will bring to light the hidden plots of the malicious man. Here I could make some to blush, that I know plotted the fall of their comrades. But I will be dumb, doing by them, as Joseph thought to have done by Mary, in seeking to cover blemishes with secrecy, lest I should wound some so with my pen, as to make them by their comrades, to be pushed out of company. But I will rather show my charity to the delinquent, by concealing of his fault, and tell him of it in secret, than openly to divulge his mischief, seeing I wish his amendment before the world should know his amiss: I will not therefore be too harsh, or virulent, hoping for his penitency, wishing God may enlighten his conscience, that while he hath time, he may crave pardon for his hatched evil. Being sorry for the loss of these two worthy cavaliers, of famous memory, Learmond and Dumbarre, for whose sakes, with grief I have pointed thus obscurely at the forger of these cavaliers' fall, whose name I will suppress, though my heart knows him well; and hoping time may change him to another man, I will let him be his own beadle, and for his punishment, I would not care, though he were made to sing an invective against himself. But I pray God, we may be freed of the like ourselves, and not to look upon another, with a beamed eye, but rather to be our own antidotes, against all the poison that another is able to spit upon us. Let us then have our eyes fixed upon virtue, and we shall find a beauty, that will every day take us with some grace or other: For the world hath nothing so glorious in it as virtue, when she rides triumphing, as both these cavaliers do after death, in despite of their enemies, like Phoebean champions, praised by their enemies, for resisting their strongest assaults, are now renowned in despite of envy, and the abusive world. And the worthy soldiers, their associates in this memorable conflict, and hot storm, are not to be forgotten, but to be praised for their valour. For though, as I said, by appearance to look but on their outsides, they were the meanest in show of our whole regiment: yet God that gives hearts, and courage unto men, made them the instruments of our regiment's first credit in the wars of Germany. They were, I confess, led by brave officers, which were seconded and obeyed by resolute and stout soldiers, that gained victory, and credit, over their enemies in extremity, by casting sand in their eyes. This victory puts me in mind of a pretty story, showing that some times the meanest things, do help us much against our enemies, especially, when the LORD will bless our fighting, with mean Instruments, fighting for us for his own glory.

Jovianios Pontanus reports of Alphons being resolved by assault to take in Vicaro, his soldiers having at the first passed the counterscarp and fosse, scaling the walls, the inhabitants not able to repulse them with stones, and the enemy unawares having surprised them, that they got not leisure to arm themselves, they threw beehives amongst the enemy, which being dispersed, sticking under their arms, and in their faces, forced the enemy to retire, uneffectuating his design. Read Jovian in his seventh book of Alphons his deed, Cap. 2.

Jerome Osorius reports the like story, of one Captain Baregue, a Portugal, in his eighth book of Portugal, who by throwing bee-hives on his enemies, made them to retire. The like was done of late in Hungary, on a fort belonging to the Bishop of Agria, near the Turks, which with the like help was relieved of a sudden assault, the soldiers not having time to go to their arms, used this mean, and were saved thereby. We see then, that an immortal good name is attained unto by virtue, and not by villany.

Here also in this conflict we see, notwithstanding of the enemies' eager pursuit with fury, that resolution at last prevails; for the defenders having at first resisted their fury, the enemy with loss being forced to retire, the assailers were discouraged, and the defenders encouraged. Therefore it is the duty of a brave Captain, that is to be assailed, to resist the beginnings well, and then the end must needs be glorious.

In such occasions, happy is that Commander, that, in extremity of danger, is accompanied with a few trusty friends and soldiers: He may be assured not to be forsaken, as I have been some times by strangers. The valiant soldier is ever best known in the greatest extremity of danger, and a forebeaten enemy, once or twice repulsed, will be loath to continue his pursuit: But he that would gain honour, must resolve to contemn death, though ever before his eyes. Wherefore I would wish the brave soldier to be ever well prepared to die, who should glory in nothing earthly more than in the tokens of his valour, being known they were got with credit, and not by infamy, as many unworthy soldiers oft-times get wounds, but not with credit, while for their cowardice they are running away, yet they will vaunt amongst the unknowing, as if their wounds were credibly gotten. Here also we may see the resolution and courage of our countryman to be praise-worthy, though killed serving the Emperor; for though I loved him not, being mine enemy, yet I honour his memory, in serving them truly, whom he did serve, for his own credit.

Of all professions men of our profession ought to look nearst to their credits, being attained unto by much toil, and travail; and is lost with little. Therefore it is said, that a valourous man his credit hangs, as it were, at one hair, and one little error or oversight in command, can obnubilate all his former glory. Circumspect then had we need to be, to preserve this credit, so dearly bought, and easily lost.

We must not then look to the outside of a man, but unto his virtues; for he that judgeth men of our profession by physiognomy, shall oft-times be deceived; for he that is not stout by nature in our profession, having served out a seven years prenticeship under such a leader, as the magnanimous King of Denmark, such a one, though not stout by nature, by frequency of danger is made stout, as a sword, fearing nothing, not death itself. And soldiers thus used with danger, for the love of their leaders, to gain their favours and good opinion, will undertake the hazard of the greatest dangers for their commander's sake. Such then, that have travailed well, should by due have rest, since the crown is laid up and ordained for him that fights well. On the other part, to end this observation, as I did begin, there is no punishment more grievous, than the public ill-will of all men; especially for just causes. And in my opinion, it is better to be buried in oblivion, than to be evil spoken of to posterity,

The fifth Duty discharged of our Retreat from Ruppin to Wismar on the Baltic Coast.

Having rested eight days at Ruppin, of intention to have marched toward Silesia, to join with the army there, God that disposes all things by his providence for our best, provided that we went not; for the army there being beaten, and put to rout (whereof few escaped) the enemy after his victory following down to us-ward, and having crossed the Elbe behind us, our retreat towards the King's army in Holstein was hindered, the passages being all beset by the enemies' forces, so that there was no other passage free for our army to pass through, but only to retire towards the Baltic Sea, to patronize the Isle of Poel for our safety, till such time as shipping should be provided by his Majesty to transport us unto Holstein. Orders then were given to the whole army, to march with all celerity from Ruppin unto the rendezvous, being appointed at Perleberg, where having come together, we were near ten thousand strong of horse and foot, being sufficiently provided of artillery and ammunition answerable to the strength of our army. Our march in great haste, night and day, continues towards Wismar, being afraid of our enemies, we feared we should not gain so much time, as to put our army in assurance, within trenches, before the enemies' coming: but being more affrighted, than we had reason, coming there betimes, we intrenched ourselves within a close leaguer, before the Isle of Poel, a mile from Wismar: where we made a draw-bridge over the passage to the Isle, and fortified it with skonces and redoubts on both sides; where we lay five weeks, till his Majesty provided shipping for our transportation unto Holstein, and fearing contrary winds might keep us long on the Isle, it being in the harvest time, we provided the island with corn and cattle taken off the country about, sufficiently to have entertained us the whole Winter in necessity. In this leaguer we had abundance of flesh, and of drink, but we were slightly provided of bread and salt, where a soldier had but one pound of bread allowed him in ten days, if that he took it not off the field. Our Scottish Highland men called this leaguer the flesh leaguer, and justly, for the soldiers were so cloyed with flesh, that oxen flesh was let lie on the ground, the hides taken off by the soldiers, and sold for a can of beer a hide, the whole body left on the place untouched, and at last, the soldiers weary of mutton also, eating only the heads and feet, being boiled with wheat brought off the fields. In all this necessity, the town of Wismar did prove very discourteous unto us, in not suffering to help us, with anything they might spare for our money, but rather through their pride abused our officers and servants, that entered their town to buy necessaries.

The fifth Observation.

Where we have represented unto us, the mutability of human estates, and especially of wars, the wheel turning, we that looked to go forwards, were forced to retire, human affairs being opposed as a mark to all the shots of discontentment; so that we ought not to rejoice too much in a calm, or prove faint hearted in a storm. We read of a Roman captain, who did tremble being victorious, as being uncertain how long his good fortune might continue. And the Romans (as Scipio told the ambassadors of Antiochus) were not puffed up by victory, nor cast down by loss. And Augustine said, this life of ours, was doubtful, blind, miserable, made of a flood of humors, ebbing, and flowing.

Notwithstanding whereof, it is the duty of a wise commander to make use of the time, by diligent foresight, and wise deliberation, to save himself, and others so long as he may, and not to be dejected, at every buffet unconstant fortune doth give him.

As this old general his resolution at this time, having an enemy before him, was good, the enemy coming also behind him, took his march betwixt both, and did come fortunately to his wished forecast, putting himself and his army in assurance. This old general was of good experience, but not fortunate, neither were they fortunate whom he served, though of invincible courage, and of great understanding in wars: for, to give his Majesty of Denmark his due, no man breathing, I think, carries a stouter heart then he doth: Yet I have seen his Majesty far dejected in spirit, through great loss, and no wonder, as you shall hear more particularly set down in the seventh observation.

In this retreat we were not void of fear, but suspecting the worst, every man bethinking himself of his best safety, to eschew an apparent overthrow, a thing at all times most dangerous in an army. Our horsemen, being afraid of a retreat by water, and consequently the loss of their horses, for want of shipping, and which was more, they feared the loss of their goods, and their own imprisonment: but it was in vain they should torment themselves beforehand, for things without their powers to eschew. But they ought rather to have made use of the present, and to have foreseen the future so far as lay in them, resolving patiently against all crosses and to refer the event to God.

Here also I did observe the inconvenience that comes to soldiers, through eating much flesh without salt, or bread, which did bring diseases in the leaguer, so that many died of pestilence and flux: but of our nation fewest, for to speak truth, I never did see more durable men against all toil, travail and tediousness, than they were.

Likewise I did observe first here, that the towns of Germany are best friends ever to the masters of the field, in flattering the victorious, and in persecuting of the loser, which is ever well seen in all estates.

When we are happy in the spring-tide of abundance, and in the rising flood of plenty, then the world would be our servants: but when these pleasant waters fall to ebbing, then men look upon us, at a distance. Wherefore adversity is like Penelope's night, which undoes all, that ever the day did weave. And our misery is so, that we can never try a friend, but in the kick of malignant chance: so I confess he is happy, that finds a true friend, but he is happier that findeth not extremity to try him.

The sixth duty discharged of our expedition by Water from Wismar to Heiligenhafen, and of our service at Oldenburg.

Having remained five weeks in this leaguer, during which time, preparation was making, for the transportation of the army unto Holstein; seeing the Emperor's forces come from Silesia, and Tilly's army were joined very strong, which barred our passage from coming into Holstein by land, which made us ship our army for going unto Heiligenhafen; and from thence to the pass of Oldenburg in Holstein, of intention to lie secured there, till then rest of his Majesty's forces might join with us. The army then consisted of eight thousand foot, and horse, besides those that were left behind on the island under the command of General Major Slamersdorfe.

Having all safely landed, at Heiligenhafen: we matched towards the pass of Oldenburg, where arrived before night, our leaguer was drawn out into the most convenient part, for maintaining of the pass, where the first night we begin to work in the trenches, and continue working the whole night, and the next day, till noon, that the enemy was seen marching towards the pass, in full battalions of horse, and foot, which before three of the clock had planted batteries, to play with cannon on our leaguer and to force a passage over the pass, which our General perceiving, gave orders, to double the guards both of horse, and foot; as also strongly to barricade the pass, and to cast up in the night a redoubt before the pass: the night drawing on being dark, silence was over all, on both sides of the pass.

But the day clearing, the guards on both sides begin the skirmish, the cannons on both sides begin to discharge, the horse guards charge one another, till ours were forced to give ground; the foot guards beginning to fight, the reliefs were commanded on both sides to second their own, the service growing hot; and the pass in danger of losing.

My colonel in all haste was commanded to march with the half of his regiment to maintain the pass; The colonel commanded me, to have the men in readiness, and to distribute ammunition amongst the soldiers; which done the colonel leading on marches towards the pass under mercy of cannon, and musket: the general meeting us bids ask the soldiers, if they went on with courage; they shouting for joy, cast up their hats, rejoicing in their march, seeming glad of the occasion. The general commending their courage, and resolution, doth bless them in passing. At our ongoing to the pass, the enemies' cannon played continually on the colours, which were torn with the cannon: Also to my grief, my comrade Lieutenant Hugh Rosse, was the first that felt the smart of the cannon bullet, being shot in the leg, who falling not fainting at his loss, did call courageously, go on bravely comrades, and I wish I had a treen, or a wooden leg for your sakes; in this instant of time, and, as I believe, with one bullet, the leg was also shot from David Rosse son to Rosse of Gannis. The service thus hot, both of cannon and musket, many were hurt at the ongoing, where I received a favourable mark, being hurt in the inner side of my right knee, with the end of mine own partizan, being shot off, by the cannon bullet. And we drawing near to the pass, the Dutch, that were on service being all fled but the captain, the pass near lost, my colonel draws off a platoon of musketeers of the right wing, being most of them brave young gentlemen of the colonel's own company, which in all haste with an officer were directed to maintain the pass, which being hardly pursued, sundry worthy young gentlemen did lie on the place in the defence of it, and sundry were hurt, as Andrew Monro, Hector Monro, Alexander Tollough, Arthur Forbesse, and divers more, of common soldiers. By this time, the rest of the colonel's division were not idle from service, the reliefs going often on, and the rest doing service along the pass, having a hedge for their shelter, The body of the pikes standing, for two hours in battle, under mercy of cannon and musket, so that their sufferings and hurts were greater both amongst officers and soldiers than the hurt done to the musketeers, that were on service, for few of their officers escaped unhurt, as Ensign Ennis, Ensign Stewart, Ensign Monro; divers also were killed, as Andrew Monro, Ferwhar Monro, and Murdo Powlson was killed with a cannon. In time of this hot service, powder being distributing amongst soldiers, a whole barrel was blown up, whereby the colonel was burnt in the face, and many soldiers spoiled: the enemy seeing our powder blown up, press to force the passage, and some coming over, Captain John Monro with a few musketeers was commanded in a flat champaign to encounter the enemy, who forced the enemy to retire, so that the pass was cleared again by Captain John his valour, much to his credit.

The first division of our regiment having thus maintained the pass for two hours hot service, then comes from the leaguer, for relief of the Colonel's division, the Lieutenant Colonel, with the other division nothing inferior to the first, who falling on fresh with man-like courage, the other division falls off, to refresh themselves during their comrades being on service, at the very entry the Lieutenant Colonel was hurt, Sir Patrick Mackey and John Forbesse of Tullough, both captains were hurt, Lieutenant Andrew Stewart, Ensign Seaton and Ensign Gordon were also hurt, and many gentlemen and common soldiers were killed. This service continued in this manner from seven o' clock in the morning, till it was past four in the afternoon, first began, with the half of the regiment, who were relieved by the other half, which continued till mid-day; after that the service not being so hot, as before, they went on to service by companies, one company relieving another, till night that it grew dark, and then darkness, the enemy of valour, made the service to cease.

During all this time, our horsemen stood bravely in battle under mercy of cannon and musket, besides the foot, attending to second us, in case the enemy had set over, and forced the pass, which once he adventured to do, but was suddenly beaten back: all this while, the General the Duke of Wismar, and both the armies, were witnesses to the manly and brave carriage of this praiseworthy regiment.

In the evening before night ammunition on both sides growing scarce, & darkness coming on, the service begins to bear up: by this time, there is a barrel of beer sent us, from the leaguer, the officers for haste caused to beat out the head of it, that every man might come unto it, with hat, or head piece, they flocking about the wagon, whereon the barrel lay, the enemies' cannonier gives a volley to their beer, which, by God's providence, though shot amongst the mid'st of them, did no more harm, but blew barrel and beer in the air, the nearst miss that I did ever see; for many of them were down to the ground, whereof my brother, Captain Obstell of worthy memory was one.

At night the service ceased, I was sent by the rest of the officers to the leaguer to my colonel for orders, to learn of the general, who should relieve us at night: My colonel did go to the general's tent, and I with him, to have his Excellence's resolution, who having nobly accepted of the colonel, did praise him and his regiment, requesting him, that as the regiment had done bravely all day, in being the instruments under God of his safety, and of the army's, he would once more request him, that his regiment might hold out the inch, as they had done the span, till it was dark, and then they should be relieved, as he was a Christian; and drinking to me, I returned with a resolution to my comrades, leaving my colonel in the leaguer: And as it grew dark, we were relieved by the Duke of Weimar his earnest and diligent entreaty, having proved our good friend, in urging to take us first off. The General having resolved to retire from the enemy, with the whole army, by reason ammunition grew scarce, and we having deserved best, were first brought off, getting orders to march in the night to ships.

The sixth Observation.

The wise ancients said, it was the principal thing in all things to look unto the end: but it is the property of our nation to be over-wise behind the hand; as we were after the service, having lost thereat a great many of our friends, we ought to have been the more circumspect again. But our condition is so, that no experience can make us wise, till we be sore beaten by others, and then we will grow kind one to another.

Amongst the Romans none was admitted to the dignity of a commander, till first he had passed a prenticeship under a brave general, where he was taught the use of arms, and novices durst not be so bold, as to intrude themselves in this honourable profession, in any degree, to take command on them, without long practise, and experience, as was requisite to undergo a charge in so high a calling, and of such importance, as to lead others: Nevertheless, the ground work or foundation of military discipline once well laid, then they were suffered to advance by degrees unto high charges, proposing recompense, and reward unto those, that did merit, and to that effect, they invented several sorts of crowns, for the reward of their travails, and wisdom: Amongst others, the crown called obsidional was ordained, for those that entered first the besieged places, being of the most esteem of all crowns, which was made of the root of the herbs, or grain, that had taken root within the place besieged; also those that first scaled the walls, were wont to get a crown of the herb woodbine, or parietaria, pellitory growing on the walls, and those that first entred the enemies' ports by force, had also a crown given unto them; And the crown castean was ordained, for him that first entered the enemies' trenches, and broke the palisades, making way to enter unto the enemies' leaguer: Also a crown was given unto those of the naval army, that first entered the enemies' galleys, or ships on sea; this crown was made of gold, representing the combat, and the general afoot, being victorious, had given him a crown made of hats, and mitres, and triumphing in a chariot, he carried a hat made of laurel. At last, these crowns were made of gold, laid over with precious stones. They had also given them, for recompense of their travails, chains, and bracelets, all to the end they might accustom themselves to virtue, and to the discipline and toil of wars. Who then would not desire to be of this society, to get a crown for well doing? On the contrary, cowards, poltroons, and effeminate persons, were disdained, degraded and put off charge, while the valiant were honoured, advanced, and recompensed, as the Turk doth practise to this day; to the disgrace of Christians neglecting discipline, till they are overthrown. It should then be the duty of brave generals to make choice of brave and virtuous commanders, not asking of whom they come, but where, and how long, have they practised to be virtuous. Then we see here, what was the custom of the ancient Romans, in choosing the virtuous, that had passed their prenticeship, and not novices to be commanders: for we see, that the love of the public brings honour, pleasure and profit to the virtuous, who think on it sincerely; But those, that would raise their fortunes by the ruin of others, shall never prosper.

The reason of our coming to this pass of Oldenburg was, to have stayed there in safety from our enemies, till we might join with our friends; but the enemy prevented us, in coming betwixt us and our friends: then there was no remedy, but to hold him up at the pass, till our army might join with us, and of this intention we resolved for best, to maintain the pass, as we did, till ammunition grew scant, and then we were forced to retire to our ships.

This King is powerful by sea, and is mightily well furnished of all things necessary for wars, of arms, artillery, ammunition, victuals, money, and what else is requisite to set forwards a war; and, which is more, a noble, and a liberal master, as ever I did serve.

Here also I observe the slowness of our general, that did not patronize the pass some few days before the enemies' coming, that it might have been fortified: for it was no time for us to fortify the pass in the night, when the enemy came before us, and the next day, we were not suffered to work, being otherwise employed. Another oversight was, that our general did not know certainly, how we were provided of ammunition, for though we had lead in abundance, we wanted bullets in the time of need. Whereupon the general was accused, after our coming into Denmark, and the blame was found in the commissary, that had the charge of the artillery, Et jure, for they were all rogues, and deceived his Majesty, that trusted them too much. Nevertheless, I cannot excuse the general of being ignorant of the provisions ordained for the army; seeing he was certain of the enemies' coming: for it is most sure, if we had been provided of ball, we were sufficiently bastant to have kept the pass against our enemy, since it came not in the enemies' power, till we had left it voluntarily in the night. The enemy also retiring from us, hearing the Rhinegrave's forces were coming behind him, of intention to join with us. I observed also, that the general was too slow, in the encouragement of his officers and soldiers, having delayed his exhortion to the very time of our going on service. And it is easy, at such time, to prognosticate by the countenance going on service how they are affected. But never men went on service with more cheerful countenances, than this regiment did, going as it were, to welcome death, knowing it to be the passage unto life, especially fighting in a good cause, against the enemies of the daughter of our King, the Queen of Bohemia, for whose sake, our magnific and royal master did undertake the wars, and for her sake, we resolved to have followed such a courageous leader, as the earth this day affords none stouter, as mine eyes did witness divers times: And for her sake, I persuade myself, our noble colonel did engage his estate, and adventured his person, to have done her sacred Majesty good service. I did also observe this day, that the best way to eschew danger, is not to perceive it; for a man well resolved perceives no danger neither doth anything seem difficult unto him, that may import his credit. And the best commanders, in my opinion, as they are in measure remiss, not seeming prodigal of their lives, though resolutely adventurous; and for me, I love a man that is modestly valiant, that stirs not till he must needs: for he that is conscious of his inward courage, is confident to show it to the world, when he will; but a man prodigal of life, oft-times endangers himself and others; for though he have courage to lead them on, he lacks wit and discretion to bring them off, in case of eminent danger. And at such times, as I condemn him that runs away first, I cannot allow of him, that, out of ostentation, will stay after all his comrades are gone, till he yield himself prisoner, or die unnecessarily there, where he might have preserved himself with honour for a better occasion. I have also observed, that a base fellow hath been killed running away, when a valiant soldier stood to it, and came off with credit.

I did also remark the invincible courage and resolution of that worthy gentleman Lieutenant Rosse, who having lost his leg, wished for a wooden or treen leg, lying on the ground, as the example of pity, that he, who was endued with such courage, and Christian resolution, had not time in the warfare, to have given the world greater proof of his valour.

Here also I must condemn those arrogant spirits, who contemn God and Fate, that while as being on service, and being hurt, may retire with credit, and on the contrary will be so foolishly valiant, as to stay on a second hurt, worse than the first; as became that day of a young gentleman of my name, and kindred, who being shot in the arm with a musket bullet, would not at my desire retire, but slighting his wound stayed on service, till he was shot dead in the head. David Monro Ensign, being shot through the body above the left pap, went a little aside, till he was dressed, and returned again to his station, keeping his colours in his hand, till night, before the enemy, never fainting with his wound, an example of rare courage, and of great strength of body, neither did he ever thereafter keep bed or lodging one hour, more than ordinary, for all this hurt.

Here also I did observe, that the former distractions amongst the officers of the regiment were taken away, having been companions of equal danger against their enemies, made them love one another the better ever after: for Captain John Monro helped Lieutenant colonel Seaton, being shot, to his horse, having on the march two days before fallen horribly out: which verifies the Scots proverb, Dogs will part swine, and make them agree amongst themselves. We see oft-times, that those that are feeblest themselves, are most ready to speak derogatively of others. Here I might infer divers instances, yet I will infer, and only point, for the present a little at those unlucky dispositions, that cannot endure any but themselves to be well thought of, for if one be justly praised, or advanced in recompense of his virtue, they will presently dismount his virtues, and stab him to the heart, obnubilating his brightest glory, with a butt of detraction bred of envy, nasty indeficient minds devising spots, where they find them not, a base office to make his tongue whip a worthy man. If I knew vice in another, I would nobly show my charity in concealing it, if he be absent; if present, I would not flatter: for the valiant man his tongue is ever the greatest coward in absence, for it is not good to deprave the fame of the absent, with a viperous tongue: Therefore my advice were to thee, in such a case, to do like the wise man, to learn somewhat by thine enemies' outrage, as King Philip of Macedon learned well the lesson, who many times thanked his enemies for their outrage, which made him afterwards the more wise, more circumspect, and more settled: for nothing gives a man more good experience, than wars, laws, love, and detraction: And for detraction thou oughtest to be so wise, if thou be made the mark for calumniators to shoot at, let them shoot, as they please, I would be hard, they should not pierce me, being armed with a good conscience, we should not care for their shooting, for though it sometime take root in the ears of some hearers, yet thy comfort should be, that one day, he shall kill himself, soon or late, as the poisonable birth kills the mother: and such fellows should be punished, as thieves: seeing the one bereaves men but of their substance, but the other bereaves them of life, and death, and of their dearest friends also. And he should be holden as such a one himself, till he brought his evidence; as the custom was of old: and for myself, I never found better remedy against them, than to disdain them, as coming about the ears of a deaf man, that did not hear them, and this I found to be the best bridle, to curb their tongues, for in the end he would hold his peace, and turn his tongue another way: but I must confess, the tongue of a calumniator hath sometimes offended me, and grieved me much, but they profited me, in making me the more circumspect and diligent, in thinking on all circumstances, that might conserve my credit and reputation, to be avenged on them. And with the proverb, which I know to be true, I will conclude this point, things that grieve us, should lead us to repentance, seeing that which destroys, instructs; and God oft-times, cleanses the inward man, by the outward, by the contrary course, leading us to our wished for harbour: for there is no such great discommodity, but brings commodity with it; for those that are stinged by scorpions, though at first it be very dangerous, yet at last, the hurt being cured by convenient remedies, it brings fruit with advantage, as experience hath taught, neither fly, bee, nor wasp can harm those thus cured.

To conclude then this point of detraction, men should be circumspect, what to determine of other men's actions, being on service: for I am of the opinion, that in time of hot service, no man doth remember the half of his own actions, much less to remark the actions of others, except some circumstances, which he may remember. Therefore we should be loath unnecessarily to bring ourselves in question, in speaking evil of others: for commonly, at such times, cowards, or feeble men, that are not in action themselves, see more than others that are better employed: yet the feeble man is ever readiest to detract, for to prevent his own insufficiency, too well known to others. But after this day's service, our detractions, and distractions also, were almost taken away, being companions of the like danger, against our enemies: And I inferred this discourse of detraction, by reason, that at such service commonly men do speak, as they do favour, or rather, as their envy carries them; which fault as being too much in use in all estates, especially amongst soldiers, I would wish from my heart that it might be eschewed.

Here also I observed, that want of circumspection in command, especially over young soldiers, as we had to command, do many times cause great inconveniences to follow, as was seen in the blowing up of our powder, whereby our Colonel was burnt in the face, and many more. Here I might speak somewhat of the hurt and inconveniency, that doth happen many times by cannon, and powder, but I will refer it to a fitter place, to be spoken of.

Likewise I cannot here omit to speak somewhat of the resolution of some particular soldiers, that were hurt on this service. Hector Monro of Cool, being shot through one of his feet, was desired to go off, who answered, it was not time, till first he had emptied his bandoleers against his enemies, before which time he was shot through the other foot also, and then was not able to come off alone, without help of others, and some of his comrades, which helped him off, going farther with him than he thought needful for his safety, or their credit, he wished them to retire, and discharge their duties against the enemy, as they had sufficiently done towards him. Hugh Murrey being desired in time of hot service, to go and take off his brother being killed; he lacking powder said, going towards his dead brother, I will first empty my brother's bandoleers, as I have done mine own, to be revenged on his enemies, before I take him off: in the mean time, he was shot in the eye himself, and that wondrous favourably, the bullet some few days after having come forth at his nose, which is most true, though seeming incredible. This day also I observed an ill custom too common to all generals, that they make most use, in time of desperate service, of those that do best serve them, and when once they have experience of their valour, they never omit to employ them on the most dangerous exploits; and for reward, they only do commend their valour, when others are scarce remembered at all.

Here also I did see, that on hot service, nothing can be more comfortable, than the getting of a timely relief, as we did get of the rest of our regiment, for having long smarted under the mercy of cannon and musket, in hot service, so that a soldier was not able to handle his musket for fear of burning, having shot so oft, till his shoulder did ache; who can think, but to such a one a relief was welcome: truly I think no man that hath his foot in the fire, but would gladly take it out: yet I persuade myself, there were some here, who would suffer to burn before they retired with disgrace, or discredit, their honour being so dear unto them. The best proofs a soldier can infer of his valiant courage, are his wounds got with credit, not running away, and the best exhortation a leader can give common soldiers is, to show himself courageous, and then, without words, with a sign, some will follow him, in imitating his example.

Here also I did observe, that the Dutch are not the best soldiers in extremity of danger, though I confess for the discharge of all duty, otherwise very obedient, till it come to extremity, and then commonly they make a cloak of discontentment, and call for money, as they did this day. Likewise I cannot say, but horse-men are useful many times, as they were here; yet in my opinion, in their service, they are not to be paralleled to foot: For at the in-taking of towns, and in hilly and mountainous countries, that are straight by nature, they are not useful, neither can they do but little service, yet for their great charges, they are much harder to be entertained: Therefore my choice shall be ever, as most credible to command on foot, and if I were worthy to advise a king, or a general following wars, I would wish him to esteem more of his foot officers, than of his horse: then fewer should serve on horseback, and more on foot, and as his charges should be less, his profit should be the more, his army the stronger, his country less spoiled, his contribution to maintain his army, the better paid, his treasure richer, his victories more frequent, and more durable, his conquest the better maintained.

This I dare presume to affirm to be all true, out of my little experience, and which is more, all the time I have served, where I have heard one fault imputed to a body of foot, I could instance ten defects in our horsemen's service: for the worst sort of them being too much given to plundering, makes them neglect their duties, which fault also is too common amongst many of their leaders; though I have known some honest men amongst them free from this imputation: and for a king, or prince, that must defend his country, by sea, (as our noble master the King of Denmark was) I would advise him, as unprofitable for his service and country, not to entertain strangers in this kind, so being their charges would far surmount the benefit that could redound by their service, yet I cannot say, but the Rhinegrave his regiment was the only regiment under the King at this time, that did best service, which was ever praiseworthy.

Likewise, I have found by experience that those who fight best in occasions, have ever the best of it, though they chance to suffer loss, if it come to a retreat, commonly they are most respected and come first off, as we did at this time, and it is ever better to fight well, and to retire timely, than for a man to suffer himself to be taken prisoner, as many were that morning after our retreat: and in occasions, I rather choose to die honourably, then to live and to be prisoner to a churlish fellow, that perhaps would keep me in perpetual bondage, as many brave men are kept; or otherwise, at my taking, to be scurvily used, being stripped naked by a villain, and then, if I lacked moneys about me, to be cut and carved, and at last, poorly put to death, being naked without arms to defend myself. My advise then is to him that cannot resolve to fight well, that he resolve according to his station, and charge, to be well furnished of money, not only about him, but also, to have money to the best in a sure place, and in sure hands to maintain him, being prisoner, and to pay his ransom; or otherwise, let him resolve to remain in perpetual bondage, except some noble friend or other have compassion on him.

Likewise I would advise all worthy soldiers, and officers going on service, if they can, never to want some moneys about them, that, if they chance to come as prisoners in undiscreet hands, they may cast a bone in the dog's teeth, to curry favour of the cruel cur.

I did also observe here, that continency is a virtue very necessary for a soldier, for abstaining from many inordinate appetites, that follow his profession, that he may the better suffer hunger, cold, thirst, nakedness, travail, toil, heat, and what else patiently, never mutinying for any defect: for it is the greatest victory we can attain unto, to overcome ourselves, and our appetites. Likewise I did observe, that kings, and generals are very courteous to cavaliers, while as they stand in need of their service, in making their use of them, but the occasion once past, oft times they do look on cavaliers at a distance, as if they had not employment for them; which should teach cavaliers, to take their time with reason of their masters also; and then they might care the less for them (being strangers or foreign kings) while as, they would disdain them, having still a sure retreat to their own king, and master. Here also I found that a friend in need was better than gold, for had not the Duke of Weimar been our friend we had been left behind at the pass, and been prisoners the next day with the rest of the army. It is therefore ever best to do well, come after what may; for virtue in despite of envy, will not want a reward: And a stout mariner that hath ridden out the storm with loss, as we did this day, rejoices in the calm, when it comes; and he is said to merit the Crown, that hath fought valiantly.

It is also very necessary, that at such service, as this was, if we have time, that we be careful, to bring off our comrades' bodies killed on service, that died honourably before their enemies, to be laid in the bed of honour, in burying their bodies, as becomes Christians. We are also tied in duty to our comrades, that were with us in danger, if either they be wounded, or mutilated, to care for their safeties, so far as lieth in our power: And we must not prefer the safety of our own bodies, to the public weal of our comrades, and countrymen dead or living, but we ought, with the hazard of our own lives, to bring off the dead and hurt.

An example of this duty, we have in the person of the President of Chassangue treating of the Jews' law, that did command, that the bodies of their dead enemies should not lie unburied. Caesar caused to be buried the head of his enemy Pompey, and wept at his death, as Valerius Maximus reports in his fifth book, and sixth chapter. Hercules is thought to have been the first that ordained to bury the bodies of those killed on service, and David calls them blessed, that were so thankful, as to have buried Saul. Judas Macchabi did cause to bury the bodies of the enemy killed in battle, and Alexander restored unto the mother of Darius the dead body of her son, Hannibal did bury the body of his enemy Marcellus, as Valerius affirms. It is also expedient, for the common-weal, that the bodies of the dead be buried: and Leonard Darez reports that Cyrus, Alexander, and Caesar did recommend their funerals to their friends, as Lieutenant Rosse did his to his Captain and me, which we performed in the best manner we could, for the time. If pagans had such regard to their burials, Christians should be more careful, whose bodies sometimes were the receptacles of the holy Spirit, and of the immortal soul created to God's own image.

Here also I would report the commandment that we read in the second chapter verse 23. of the fourth book of Esdras. Where thou findest the dead, put them in the grave (with a certain mark) and I will give thee the first seat in my resurrection: and the wise Ancients said, men should look unto the end. My exhortation then is to all my worthy countrymen, and women, that were interested in our loss in this day's service, to consider, that when these gentlemen, and cavaliers were born, that they were marked and ordained to die honourably, fighting in the good cause; and for the liberty of our King's daughter, the Queen of Bohemia and her distressed royal issue, under the magnanimous King of Denmark our master, who for her Majesty's liberty, did hazard not only his life, but his crown; let them then that are interested, as said is, in this our loss consider again, that they died with great honour, and reputation, seeing they live eternally in their fame, having laid down their lives, as servants of the public, if not for their country, yet at least, as cannot be denied, for the liberty of their king's royal issue: It then became them well, to have died standing. Therefore those mothers, friends, or sisters, are to be condemned, that mourn for them that live (after their death) in their fame, and though their grief be great, let them shed no tears, for fear it become of them, as became of that ancient woman called Vicia, mother to Futius Geminus, who was killed at Rome, for having wept at the death of her son, that had lost his life in the public service, as reporteth Tacitus in his 6 book of his Annals, and our Saviour in the Evangelist Saint Luke doth forbid the widow to weep for her son that was dead, and St. Paul writing to the Thessalonians saith, Brethren I would not have you ignorant of the estate of those that are asleep, to the end you do not over-mourn, as those do, that are without hope. Therefore, let us forbear all tears for those departed, and if we should mourn, let us mourn with tears, even those most precious tears for sin, these are the Christian tears, that should be shed from our hearts, to reconcile us unto God, those tears are as the blood of the soul, hurt and wounded with the sense, and feeling of our sins, before God these are the tears, that draw God's mercy upon us, as David cried unto God in the 36 Psalm. Thou hast counted my wanderings, and put my tears in thy bottle, are they not in thy register? Therefore though we be grieved at the loss of our friends, and at the loss of the day; Yet O God, make us thankful unto thee, for our deliverance, that we may rejoice at our own safety.

The seventh Duty discharged of our Retreat from Oldenburg unto Assens in Denmark by Sea.

Having thus passed the day at Oldenburg, the night (the friend of cowards) coming on, what we durst not have done by day, being favoured by the moonshine, when all were wearied with hot service and toil in the day, begun to take rest, and refreshment by their fires, in the leaguer all guards relieved, and sentries set out, being all of us, after a great storm in a quiet calm, we begin to take our retreat to the water: our general being full of fear and suspicion goes before, and our colonel also; we follow, having the avant-garde according to our orders for going a ship-board, which orders were willingly obeyed, perceiving the danger was to follow, and in consideration that long before the Lieutenant Colonel Sir Patrick Mac-Gey and Captain Forbesse being hurt had retired for their safeties towards the Isle of Fehmarn, and from thence to Denmark to be cured. I supplying the place of the major, our regiment orderly retiring from the enemy, Captain Mac-Kenyee and my brother Obstell, who before were companions in the day of danger, in the night did march together leading off the regiment to be secured, and I bringing up the rear, accompanied with some other officers; we had no doubt of our safe retreat: the whole army being behind us made us halt the oftener, taking pains to bring up our hurt and sick men; we marched but softly, Py a Pyano: at last by ten o'clock of the night we arrived on the shore, and drew up in battle attending the Colonel's command for shipping, who had gone himself unto the road amongst the ships, to provide shipping, but could get no obedience, the fear was so great amongst the mariners; having heard the roaring and thundering of cannon and muskets in the day, fear so possessed them all, that they lacked hands to work and hearts to obey: and the Colonel coming ashore without bringing of ships to receive us, we made use of the time, our comrades the horsemen having come before us, who ever begin confusion, were without orders, forcing ships to take in their horses, and had already possessed the whole bulwark and shipping with their horse, I asking my Colonel's leave, drew our whole colours in front, and our pikes charged after them; our musketeers drawn up in our rear by divisions, fortifying our rear in case the enemy should assault us in our rear, and then I advanced with our colours alongst the pier, our pikes charged we cleared the pier of the horsemen, suffering them to save themselves from drowning, where they found the channel most shallow, and advancing thus to the end of the pier, we seized upon one ship with some horses in it, where we set our colours, and making that ship launch off a little from the shore for fear of being aground, having manned the shipboat with an officer, and some musketeers, we sent to force other ships out of the road to launch in and serve us, until such time as the most part of our regiment were shipped except some villains, who were gone a plundering in the town; but not knowing the danger they were in, they stayed all night from us and were taken by the enemy the next morning. Thus having shipped our men we were forced to quit our horses and baggage: the officers that were most diligent, as Captain Monro and my brother Obstell, were busied the whole night ferrying soldiers from the shore, especially the sick and wounded, who were not able to help themselves: In the morning I shipped three boatfuls of wounded and sick men, till at the last I was beaten from the shore by the enemies' horsemen. And my Colonel's ship being under sail laid up to the wind, attending my coming with the last fraught, and then we followed the route of the fleet, seeing the enemies' army drawn up in battle, horse, foot and cannon, and our army of foot and horse opposite unto them; where I did see six and thirty cornets of horse, being full troops, without loosing of one pistol give themselves prisoners in the enemies' mercy, whereof the most part took service: As also I did see above five regiments of foot, being forty colours, follow their examples, rendering themselves and their colours without loosing of one musket. Judge then, judicious reader, though we were sorry for the loss of our army, if we were glad of our own safeties: I think we were, and praised be God with no discredit to us, or our nation; for none can be blamed that doth what he is commanded: thus following our course the third morning we arrived before Flensburg, where our rendezvous was appointed, and having sent ashore for some victuals, whereof we stood in great need, no man was blamed to provide for himself at such time, when the whole country was to be left to our enemies' mercy.

His Majesty being there, after hearing the certainty of his great loss, resolved to secure Denmark; having lost Holstein & Jutland we got orders with expedition all of us to ship, and to hold forth our course unto Assens in Denmark, where his Majesty promised to meet us to dispose further of us, for his Majesty's service, and we making sail follow our course and orders. At our parting the Rhinegrave with his regiment did come thither the enemy at his heels, and he at spurs following the King, till he had gotten the pass made good betwixt Holstein, and Jutland, and his Majesty once safely arrived in Denmark, the Rhinegrave quitting Jutland unto the enemy follows the King unto Denmark: We landed at Assens of our regiment eight hundred soldiers besides one hundred and fifty wounded and sick men, and being put in good quarters, we rest us, leaving the enemy to rest in the fat land of Holstein and Jutland, having a good broad and deep fosse betwixt us, we were by God's mercy secured.

The seventh Observation.

Here we see that the loss of a day, is the loss of a great part of his Majesty's Kingdom: for the loss of his army was the loss of Holstein and Jutland, so that here below we have no assured estate, from the king to the clown, whereof we have frequent examples in histories, which should make none of all estates to glory too much, either in their peace, or prosperity, as the Holsteiners did: for though now thou be in peace and security, as they were before this day, thou oughtst to look unto thyself, and to prevent the worst better than they did.

Therefore to discharge a part of my duty to my countrymen and friends, I mind here somewhat to touch the misery of man through the inconstancy of human affairs. Isidore writes, that it was the custom at Constantinople in the days of the Emperor's coronation, while as he sat in his throne, a mason came to him, presenting stones, that he might choose which he would to make his tomb of, thereby putting him in mind of the inconstancy of human fragility. We read also of a simple citizen in Italy, that became one of the most powerful men in Italy, and coming to the dignity of a prince, being thirty years, without interruption, in great prosperity, tranquillity and peace, yea ever in the most dangerous time of war, and his children raised to high honours and dignities; this man thinking himself to be above the wind, a whirl-wind of wars, unlooked for, came on him and his from Florence, that he with his wife and children were taken prisoners, and sent to Milan, his goods confiscated, he was shut up in close prison, and died miserably: the Venetians appropriating unto themselves all his money he had in bank.

We read also of one Francis Sforza, that through his heaping up of wealth came to be made Duke of Milan, and after that intitled himself to be the son of Fortune, and the oracle of the princes of Italy, being many years in prosperity, was afterwards chased from his goods, as the Holsteiners were then, but having recovered his lands and goods again, he grew so insolent and proud of his prosperity, that at last he was taken prisoner, and was kept till death in prison; mocked of the whole world, for his pride and greediness. The same author Guicchardine in his seventh book in the 157, doth record of the Bentivoglios chased out of Bologna, where they long were in peace, the subjects of Milan being forbidden to receive them, the chiefest of them died of grief, having never before tasted the cup of adversity: And so became of sundry in Denmark, that for fear did send away their goods by shipping unto the crags of Norway, to be kept there, whereof some were lost by sea, and the owners afterward died of grief, not having the courage to undergo patiently their cross. The Lord of his mercy preserve my country and friends from the like visitation. Let no man therefore flatter himself with prosperity, riches, or honour, as Agapetus adviseth us in his Politic Aphorisms. All are born alike, come of dust, our glory then should be of virtue, and not in riches, prosperity, or honours; for we should esteem of nothing so much, as of God's judgements, praying his Majesty continually to divert them from us, esteeming more of our souls, than of deceivable riches, whereof the possession is uncertain, as was seen at this time, both in Holstein and Jutland, their riches went faster away than they came, and though they could have enjoyed them, yet at last they were forced to leave them to others. Since therefore we can carry nothing with us, but our good name, let us be ever careful of that, discharging, so far as we may, with a good conscience our duty to God and man, and this heritage we cannot be robbed of, though the world should turn to nothing.

Here we see this magnanimous king his estate falling for his love to his niece, the distressed Queen of Bohemia, and her children, seeing her banished from her kingdom by the sword of her enemies, he hazards the loss of his crown and person, to get her restored, bringing the sword of his enemies within his own country, fortune having crossed him abroad: yet for all this, this magnanimous king was not dejected, but with a courageous resolution makes use of the time, retiring to one corner of his Kingdom, to prevent the loss of the whole, being naturally fortified with a broad graff, as the Isle of Britain, being strong of shipping, having his Majesty of Britain to friend, and the estates of the United Provinces, he was careless of the Emperor's forces by Sea or Land, not being able to harm his Majesty more than they did.

By this example we may see, what advantage our sovereign, the King's Majesty of Great Britain, hath over all foreign kings in Europe, through the situation of his dominions, being mighty in power of men, shipping, and money, is able to make war abroad, where he pleaseth, and to make a safe retreat, when he pleaseth, being master at sea, as he can easily be, terrifying his enemies with one army abroad, and a strong army at sea, he can offend whom he will, and retire when he list, forcing all europe to be in fear of him, and his Majesty in fear of none, but of the King of Kings. The Lord therefore preserve his Majesty, his children and subjects, from the power of foreign enemies; and I wish a great part of my friends and countrymen were so far addicted, to seek the restitution of her Majesty of Bohemia, and her royal issue, as I am; the wars then should never end, till they were restored, and I avenged of my friends' blood, and mine own, shed in the quarrel.

Here also I did observe his Majesty's circumspection, in preventing the imperialists, in coming by water unto his kingdom, having beset all Finland with strong garrisons of horse and foot, which kept strong guards, and good watch by night and by day, at such places on the coast, as was most in danger of the enemies' over-setting, till in the end, the enemy was forced to retire his army, leaving but a few men in garrison in the towns, which lay on the coast, which garrisons his Majesty with shipping did often visit, to their great hurt, with strong parties, retiring again, having done his exploit, at his pleasure in safety. This magnanimous king, to my knowledge, deserved to have been worthily thought of, and well spoken of, for his noble enterprizing of the war, being leader and general in so good a cause. And though the success was not answerable, I dare be bold to affirm, it was none of his Majesty's fault, for his Majesty not only bestowed much in advancing of it, but also did hazard himself and his crown in maintaining of it. Nevertheless, there are always some cynics, that do bark at his Majesty's proceedings, without reason; where we may see, that no man, no nor kings themselves can escape the lash of censure, and none can eschew to be traduced by the ignominious aspersions of the malevolent tongue. Therefore it is good to do well, and then we need not care what is said; except the sayer put his name to his assertion, and then he may be made to foot his boule, in maintaining of it, or unworthily to refuse it. Here also I did observe, that no armour nor pass could remove the general's fear; for having once imagined the enemies' over-coming, he was never fully settled, till he was safe a ship-board. And therefore I did see at this time that verified, that when man distrusteth God, it is then just with God to leave man to himself: for after our retreat, being on the road, the general, being thronged in his own ship, could not command a ship to transport his servants, till I forced a ship for his Excellency's service; which should teach all men in authority, while they have command, to command with discretion, lest the wheel should turn, and then they should be beholden to those, whom before they commanded.

Here also I did see mutinous soldiers well rewarded, and it may be sooner than they thought, for the day before those that called for money when they were commanded to go on service, the next day I being a shipboard did see them turn slaves unto their enemies being taken prisoners, robbed both of clothes and money, and kept long in bondage, being forced to serve against their conscience, such was their folly in calling for money when it was no time to tell it. Having at this time left our horses and baggage to our enemies, I observed somewhat on the love of men to those beasts, and the love of beasts to their masters, as worth the noting, to confirm the kindness that should be entertained amongst Christians, and men of one profession; my brother Obstell, of worthy memory, had a horse of our own country-breed, that was so familiarly acquainted with his soldiers, and with the noise and touch of drum, that the whole day on our march, when his master went afoot, he unled followed the drum a little aside from the company, halting when they halted, and moving when they moved fast or slow. Another horse I left, that being in Wismar leaguer, having rode out one day to a wood, half a mile from the leaguer, to cause to cut timber, leaving my horse standing alone, and my cloak on my saddle, a rutter coming by, unknown to me and my fellows, steals my horse away, who finding himself in stranger's hands, skips loose, and runs to our leaguer, being chased and hunted at by more than a hundred horsemen, out-runs them all unto the trenches, and running through the leaguer, stands before my tent, my comrades wondering what became of me, thinking I had been killed by the horsemen, come and make search for me, and finding me, tell me of my horse.

These beasts I have remembered for their love, for which I will set down some particulars concerning the address, fidelity, and bounty of some horses whereof I have formerly read. Pliny protests their praises cannot be expressed. We read of the Numidians, that were so much redoubted of the Romans, that in their wars, they would at spurs, run their horses in midst of their enemies, without a bridle to govern them. In the battle of Cannae, Hannibal returning the next day on the place of battle, to look more narrowly to the place, a Roman knight half dead, hearing the noise of people, lifted up his head, of purpose to have spoken, but his voice failing, died: with the last gasp, by Hannibal there rode a Numidian on that dead knight's horse, who knowing his master, begun to move his ears, to bray, and to leap, and rebound with such fury, till he casts the Numidian to ground, runs through the dead bodies, and stands before his dead master, and leaning down his neck and shoulders, showeth the desire he had that his master should leap on him, to the great astonishment of Hannibal, and his followers. We read also in the wars of Germany, in the year 1176 the Dukes of Saxony forced by arms to submit themselves to the Emperor Henry the fourth, giving the Emperor for pledges of their fidelity, two young princes, sons to a marquess, which were carefully kept in a castle, that was very strong, the captain whereof moved by compassion, and won by some presents, suffered them sometimes to go abroad to take the air, and to ride their horses thereabout: The captain going a hunting, takes these young youths with him, the prey found and hunted, she is followed by all, not thinking of any other thing: The youths spurring hard out of sight, follow their course till they come to the river of the Main, where they request a fisherman to transport them in his little canoe or boat to Mainz, offering him their little scarlet cloaks for pay: The fisherman helps them from their horses, and takes them in his boat, and rows down the river, their horses swimming after them to Mainz, where they and their horses were graciously welcomed.

Pliny writes, that horses wept at their masters' deaths, and it is recorded, that the horse of Caesar wept: foretelling his master's death, and I persuade myself, the gentle reader could add somewhat to this purpose, if he listed, but thus far to animate Christians to love, respect, and cherish their comrades, and not to kill and backbite them, as too many are too ready to detract from others, to add to themselves: a wrong way; for honour is compared well to a chaste maid, that will never love them who would ravish her, but being courted she may be moved.

Here I must not forget that duty I owe to the remembrance of that worthy young gentleman, Arthur Forbesse, son to a worthy, cavalier, of famous memory, Lieutenant Colonel Arthur Forbesse, being a worthy valourous son, descended of a valiant father. This young gentleman being deadly wounded on service, and with hazard brought unto our ship, within two days died. Likewise a gentleman born in the Isles of Scotland, called Alexander Mac-Worche, being wounded in the head, and shot in the arm, the enemies' horsemen shooting at him with pistols, he leaps from the shore, with his clothes on, notwithstanding those wounds, and swims to my cousin Captain Monro his boat, and being brought in died the next day, and was much lamented for of his comrades, as a gentleman of great hope.

I did also observe here, the inconvenience that happens to many brave officers and soldiers given to plundering, gathering together a little booty for spending, which brings them commonly into their enemies' hands, their punishment being far more grievous, than their purchase was delightful, and yet I think, the guilt is worse than the punishment. To which purpose I will only here infer one story. A Pythagorian bought a pair of shoes upon trust, the shoe-maker dies, the philosopher is glad, and thinks them gain, but a while after his conscience touches him, and becomes a perpetual chider, he repairs to the house of the dead, casts in his money with these words; There take thy due, thou livest to me, though dead to all besides. Certainly, in my opinion, ill gotten gains are far worse than loss with preserved honesty. These grieve but once, the others are continually grating upon our quiet, and he diminishes his own contentment, that would add unto it by unlawfulness; for looking only to the beginning, he thinks not of the end. But in my opinion, if plundering, or making of booty, at any time be excusable for a soldier, it is only in respect of the circumstances. Our friends being forced to quit their country and their goods to their enemies, before it should enrich the enemy, it were not amiss to take it, or destroy it either with fire or water, before it were profitable to our enemies; and in this point only I do allow of this booty making, providing it do not hinder men from the discharge of their duties, in time and place: otherwise, our best goods, being impediments to the discharge of our honest duty in our calling, are to be thrown away. And for mine own part, a few books left by my friends, which mine enemy might have burnt, was all the booty that ever I made: neither do I repent me of my neglect in this point; having seen many make booty, who had never the happiness to enjoy it long. His Majesty's care, in fore-seeing the safety of Denmark, merits praise: for by the preservation of Denmark, his Majesty, like a skilful gamester, recovered again all that he lost. Therefore we ought never to grieve for anything past, but for sin, and for that always. And he spake well, that said, He that hath himself hath lost nothing.

The eighth Duty discharged of our Quartering and Mustering in Funen, and of the Colonels' going for a Recruit unto Scotland.

Having happily arrived in Denmark, at Assens in Funen, our Colonel goes ashore to understand of his Majesty's will and command, and being graciously welcomed, is made to dine at his Majesty's table: after dinner his Majesty discharging then the duty of a General Quarter-master, who wrote with his own hand the names of the dorps ordained for our quarters: as also did appoint a fair hoff, to receive all our wounded and sick men, where they were to be entertained together, till they were cured, and to that effect, his Majesty graciously ordained skilful chirurgians, diligently to attend them, being an hundred and fifty, besides officers; then we got orders to land the regiment, and to draw up in a convenient part, till our sick and wounded were first directed to quarters, and then to appoint our watch (viz.) two companies to watch at Assens, then having gotten wagons, for transporting of our Colonel's baggage and spare arms, the several companies' quarters dealt out, the furriers sent before, to divide the quarters, every company led by their own guides, we marched off severally, by companies, as our several ways did lie unto our quarters, where we had rest for our former toil, and good entertainment for our spare diet, so that in a short time, we were all sufficiently refreshed, without fear of an enemy. Nevertheless, our watches were duly and orderly kept, and relieved by course, every second night: then orders were given by the commissaries to give in our rolls, for mustering of us, that his Majesty might know, what loss we had sustained on service, and that those that served well might be rewarded: we mustered sick and whole near nine hundred men under arms, besides officers, having lost on service, four hundred men, that were killed in the place, and taken in our retreat. Before our coming to muster, news was come to his Majesty of the loss of the castle of Breddenburg in Holstein, Stadt-holder Ransowe his chief residence, where Major Dumbarre did command, and was killed. The particulars of this service I refer to the next duty discharged.

The major being killed, I having discharged the duty in his absence, by my Colonel's respect to me and his Majesty's favour, I had patent given me, under his Majesty's hand and seal, as major to the regiment: as likewise Captain Lermond his company then at Glückstadt, being vacant, through the death of the captain at Hamburg, was also disposed unto me; and orders were given unto the commissary, that mustered us, according to my patent to place me, as sergeant-major over the regiment, which all duly obeyed by the commissary, the drummer major, accompanied with the rest of the drummers of the regiment, being commanded, beat a bank in head of the regiment. The commissary having his Majesty's patent in his hand, makes a speech, signifying his Majesty's will unto all the officers of the regiment, and without any contradiction placed me sergeant major, and delivering me my patent takes me by the hand, as the colonel did, lieutenant-colonel with the whole officers of the regiment, wishing me joy, with the general applause of the whole Soldateska, which ceremony ended, the regiment marched off, by companies unto their several quarters as before; The Colonel conveyed by his officers unto his quarters, the officers were appointed the next day, to meet at the Colonel's quarter to receive money, and to understand further of the Colonel's resolution, concerning the standing of the regiment. At their return the next day, they received two months pay for the officers, and one month's pay for the Soldateska, with promise of winter clothes. But the soldiers coming into a good fat soil, clad themselves honestly, which made them want commisse clothes; Yet none of us could say, but we served a liberal, and a bountiful master: the money first paid by the commissaries, they give orders in his Majesty's name for keeping of good discipline over the regiment, whereby the boors should not complain on the soldiers insolency, which they needed not to use, getting willingly from the boors both meat, and money, with some clothes: Nevertheless, there were always amongst the one and the other, some churlish rascals, that caused complaints to be heard which made our proforce or gavileger get company and money, for discharging his duty: for neither officer, nor soldier escaped due punishment, that was once complained on, until such time, as his Majesty was satisfied with justice, and the party offended. Thus continuing in our duty, the colonel anew doth capitulate with his Majesty, for bringing over from Scotland a thousand men to recruit the regiment. Officers were appointed of every company to go for Scotland, and for the most part the captains went themselves, leaving their lieutenants in their absence to command their companies. The Lieutenant Colonel taking a furlough, did go unto Holland: I being left to command the regiment, the Colonel and his Captains Sir Patrick Mac-Gey, Captain Annane, Captain Monro of Obstell, Captain Forbesse, Captain Sinclair, Captain John Monro, and Lieutenant Robert Stewart, the Baron of Fowles followed them in the spring, for levying a company also. They being gone, I was commanded by his Majesty to take orders from General Major Slamersdorph then resident at Odense in Funenland, who immediately after their going away, commanded me to take my quarters in Assens, where we kept our watch, seeing that part of the country was most in danger of the enemies' pursuit; where I had question with the Major of the Rhinegrave's regiment of horse, who should give out the orders in the garrison, which did bring an emulation betwixt our soldiers and the horsemen, so that in several rencounters had in the garrison, three or four on each side were killed. To prevent this disorder, the General Major with some other associates came to Assens and held a council of war, the business considered, the Major of horse is removed to another garrison, and Rut-master Cratsten is put with his troops in Assens, and the command of the garrison was given unto me. Notwithstanding whereof our enmity with the horsemen did continue a long time, till the Rhinegrave himself had given orders to his whole officers, examplarily to punish those insolent rutters, who should be found to live otherwise then brethren with the whole Scots regiment, so that by that time the coldness removed, we lived at more quiet during my being there, which was not long.

The eighth Observation.

First here we may see the wisdom and magnanimity of this king not cast down with the loss of his army, nor with the loss of the half of his country, but preventing his further loss for the safety of his country, and good of his subjects, he with expedition, draws himself and the remnant escaped of his army within Denmark, to preserve them for a second fitter opportunity; As also to encourage his subjects, that through fear, were on the flight by water unto other nations, carrying their substance with them, fear coming unawares, having heard of their king's loss and overthrow abroad, fame dispersing the rumours of the loss, much worse then it was, the people were so afraid, and so fearful, that they enjoyed nothing without a frighted mind, no not their sleep: they trembled at the present miseries that might but come, they were anticipated in a more horrid habit, than any enemy could put them unto, meeting with evil before it came, making things but probable as certain, as when one may sit even in a boat, he is in no danger, yet through fear stirring, he may drown himself, and others, as we see often in battle that the valiant man constantly keeping his rank, doth live, when as the feeble coward by stooping thinking to save his life, he loses it; when the brave soul knows no trembling. Caesar spake like Caesar, when he bade the mariners fear nothing. And this invincible and magnanimous king, though ruffled by Caesar, yet he encourages his subjects, by exhorting them to fear nothing, going at all times himself betwixt them and all dangers, he being the first many times engaged, and the last coming off, casting as it were, through his valour, a kind of honour upon God; believing in his goodness, casting himself in danger, trusting and confiding in his care only. Not like an unworthy coward that eclipses his sufficiency, unworthily doubting that God will bring him off, unjustly accusing God, his power or his will, making himself his own Saviour, he becomes his own confounder.

But this magnanimous king setting his care upon God, and using the lawful means, for his country, and kingdom's preservation, winning the love of God, and of his subjects, establisheth himself, and his throne in despite of his enemies. Here also I have observed that good service done to a noble and liberal master, as this king was, cannot be without reward: Therefore let the servant deserve, and the master will recompense, if he be such a just master as we served, where both loved each others, for their generous worthiness. Who ever then is a servant, if he suppose his lot hard, let him think on the other part, that service is nothing else but a free man's calling, and comfort himself with the example of kings, that are but servants (though more splendid) for the common-weal; and as this king our royal master served for his country, let us that are servants serving strangers serve truly where we serve, for our country's credit, our own weal, and our eternal fame which must live after us. This magnanimous king through the experience he had of our former true service, is desirous to have more of our countrymen to serve him, as we may see by the new employment laid on our colonel and his officers; Also on divers other noblemen of our country, to bring unto him three other regiments as Nithsdale, Spynie and Murckle's regiments, we being the first that showed them the way to be employed by his Majesty.

Here I will exhort all brave cavaliers, of mind to follow the laudable profession of arms, not to grudge, though their advancement or preferment come not at first, but with patience to await on God's blessing, since preferment comes neither from the east, nor from the west. But it is the blessing of the Lord, given by man as the reward of virtue.

Who ever then would be famous by preferment, let him first study to be diligent and virtuous in his calling, and then doubtless God will dispose of him as he thinkth best for his own Glory.

Here we see that the Baron of Fowles, of worthy memory, thought it no disparagement at first to follow my Lord of Rhey and his regiment, as a volunteer, till he had seen some service, and attained unto some experience, and then beginning with a company, coming at last with credit to be colonel over horse and foot, and that to animate others of his name, and kindred to follow his example, rather to live honourably abroad, and with credit, then to encroach (as many do) on their friends at home, as we say in Scotland, leaping at the half loaf, while as others through virtue live nobly abroad, served with silver plate, and attendance.

Officers of one regiment ought to live as brethren together, not envying one another's advancement, entertaining no other emulation, than the emulation of virtue, every one serving truly in their stations, till such time occasion may be offered, for their advancement by degrees: for though their patience may be the longer, their credits will be the more, and their contentments at last will make them forgo and forget their former toil, and disturbances having come to their proposed mark, though not altogether to their wished end. Here also we see that good discipline is requisite for keeping good order, that as virtue is rewarded; so vice may be punished: as we may see by the institution of the imperial laws, whereof one we read constitute by the Emperor Frederick the Second in the code of Justinian, bearing that the labourers of the ground might live peaceably with assurance over all, staying in their villages, labouring the ground, so that no man should be so bold, as to presume to take any such men prisoners, or to offer them any violence in destroying their bestial, or in taking their goods from them, condemning them to death that did contemn, or violate his ordnance.

And Cyrus going to war, commanded no man should trouble the labourers. Xerxes commanded the like, saying, the wars were against those that caried arms, not against shepherds.

Belisarius that brave commander under the Emperor Justinian, was so strict against soldiers that troubled the boors, that the soldiers going by the fruityards durst not throw down one apple, and for his good order kept, victuals were cheaper in the camp than in towns.

Procopius in his third book of the Goths' wars in Italy reports, that Totila King of the Goths observed the same strict discipline in Italy, suffering the boors untroubled, for paying the contribution.

Nicephor Gregorius affirmed, that while as in the front of an army marched insolency and violence, orderly came in the rear defeat and ruin. And nowadays the Turks do observe stricter discipline in their armies than Christians do; in so much that their captains must not suffer their soldiers to go into orchards or vineyards, as they march by. And as order is necessary in an army, so it is in a regiment requisite to be kept, and punishment also to be used, for banishing all villany from a regiment, as gluttony, drunkeness, whoredom, oppression, playing, dicing, roaring, swaggering: for it is not seemely that those, who should overcome others, should suffer themselves to be overcome with any such notorious vices; neither ought a brave fellow to vaunt of his valour, since it is not tolerable to kill men with words, without coming unto blows; But he that comports himself modestly is to be commended.

Here also we see that the emulation and strife begun amongst superiors and officers of quality, brings at last the same amongst their inferiors and followers; as was seen in the disorders and quarrelling betwixt our soldiers and the Rhinegrave's horsemen, which was wisely prevented and taken away by the wisdom of their commanders, that carried mutual love and respect to each others: for the mutual good deserving of both officers, which was the chief instrument of their reconcilement, and taking away of their jars, and idle quarrelling, arising of ostentation, an unworthy fruit growing out of dunghills, withering faster than it groweth, their jars thus once removed, thereafter our love waxed so great, that where we chanced both to be on one service, as at Wolgast, where we stood in need of help, the Rhinegrave's regiment, especially rut-master Hoomes under God made our retreat safe, as you shall hear in its own place.

Here also I cannot pass over with silence the love that ordinarily is seen betwixt officers, and their followers: being once put under good discipline they will undergo anything for love of their commanders and leaders, who have taken pains and diligence in excercising them in the perfect use of their arms, and in leading them bravely on occasions before their enemies, in making with exercise their bodies strong, and their hearts valiant, then I say, what will they not undertake for the love of their leaders? Truly, I must confess, they will stand a thousand times more in awe to incur their officers' wrath, whom once they loved through love, than in any wise, thorough fear of any punishment, that may be enjoined unto them by laws: and if they love and respect their officers, for fear to offend, even in their marches, for their officers' credits they will march so orderly with arms in their ranks and files, that you would think a whole regiment well disciplined, as this was, were all but one body, and of one motion, their ears obeying the command all as one, their eyes turning all alike, at the first sign given, their hands going to execution as one hand, giving one stroke, yea many strokes all alike, ever ready to strike, or hold up, as their commander pleaseth; and thus exercised they were, that their enemies in all rencounters could not but duly praise them, calling them the invincible old regiment: which always rencountered with them on all occasions, so that Mac-Keye's name, was very frequent, through the glorious fame of this never-dying regiment, never wronged by fortune in their fame, though divers times, by their enemies' valour, they sustained both loss and hurt: but would to God, we had always met man to man, or that our army had consisted all of such men, and such officers, whereof, I was the unworthiest! If so had been, our conquest had extended so far, as the Romans of old did extend the limits and borders of their Empire, which for my wish I would bestow on the Prince Elector Palatine, borne by the Jewel of Europe, the Queen of Bohemia his royal mother; and if it were at my distribution, he should have all from the River Euphrates at the East, to the ocean sea at the West, the fertilest part of Africa at the South, and the Rhine and the Danube at the North; and yet I durst affirm, that his Grand-father King JAMES of blessed and never-dying memory, might merit a far greater possession for his grand-child, the illustrious Prince Elector Palatine of the Rhine; and to have an army of such men, under his command, to be avenged on his enemies. I would wish their clothes nor mine own, came never off, till his enemies were made his footstool to tread on, or to show mercy, at his Highness' pleasure: And for my wish, his army should be all of Britons, Dutch, and Irish, such as Vegetius describeth the Roman soldiers of old: and I, as one though unworthiest of a thousand Britain officers, would undertake to make such brave lads to dwell summer and winter in tents, ever in readiness to fight with our enemies, and to endure all incommodities, for the credit of such a master, banishing far from him with valiant hands well armed, all the craft, power, and subtlety that his enemies were able to devise against him: And we should, for his sake, be contented with such allowance as the Imperial laws allow a soldier, being only so much as might maintain life, or so much as beasts get that are put to diet, and we should be content to march with such expedition, without intermission, without quarter or garrison, as need requireth, never staying behind, but always advancing, consenting willingly to undergo correction, if we did to the contrary: but to march ever orderly in ranks, as the way lay rough or even, foul or fair, as our colours and leaders went before us; Never quitting our ranks, but with licence, till the cause were won, or that our master's throne were established. And if otherwise we went astray, we should be content to quit our allowance: and if this discipline were not strict enough, we should be content to have his Highness and royal mother restored, to do as our Fathers did coming out of Egypt, marching alongst the spacious and wide desert, that our rendezvous might be appointed and set, till we arrived in Gaza, that is to say, in the Holy Land, where being victorious, we should bid our master farewell, and rest with our Fathers.

The ninth Duty discharged of Major Dumbarre his Service at Breddenburg.

This noble cavalier, of famous and worthy memory, having done notable good service at Boizenburg Skonce on the river of the Elbe, as was formerly set down, at his retiring to Glückstadt, he was commanded with four companies of Scots, and certain Dutch, the enemy having fallen into Holstein, his order was to beset the castle of Breddenburg, being a pass, but not strong, nor fortified in forma. As I was informed by a valorous little captain, Captain William Lumsdell, who then was ensign to the major, who only at that time escaped with his life, from the fury of the enemy, being within the house, while as the rest, in the fury, were put to the sword: This gentleman who informed me, was with the major walking abroad near to the house at the enemies' first approaching, so that the enemy unawares did come so near, that they retiring to the castle, had scarce time to draw up the draw-bridge, when the enemy with his forces, being, as was thought, ten thousand strong, led by Tilly, had the house environed on all quarters. The enemy sends a trumpeter, summoning to render the place, which was refused. Whereupon they entered to approach, and the defender resists. The service thus begun, comedian-like, ends very tragically, the whole court and lodgings running with blood, with which the walls and pavement are sprinkled with our Scottish blood, to be viewed and seen to this day. To be particular in the discharge of this duty at large, not having seen the service, I will not, lest I should err in giving notice unto the world, of things I did not know; but by report, which ordinarily holds not so true, as things we have both known and seen. In this house of Breddenburg there was a great number of men, women and children, besides the soldiers, that had taken their flight thither, as to a place of refuge, at the enemies' first coming into the land. There was also in this house great store of riches, belonging to the lord of the house, and to the fugitives, that was brought from the country. The Major valourously defended the place for six days, until the time they had approached unto the moat, and shot two several breaches in the wall, and being so near, the enemy directed a drummer unto the Major, to see if he would parley; But the drummer returned with an answer, that so long as there was blood in Dumbarre's head, that house should never be given over: which answer so incensed the enemy against them, that they sware, if they got the upper hand over them, they should all die without quarters. Shortly after the answer was returned, the Major was shot dead in the head with a fire-lock; The rest of the officers were ashamed to capitulate for an accord, the Major having refused: immediately after, Captain Duncan Forbesse was killed, and after him, Lieutenant Barbour, and then Captain Carmichell, who had no charge there, but came by accident to visit his comrades before the enemies' coming, whose fortune was not to eschew the payment of that debt by longer continuation. The enemy then passing the moat or fosse, with a general storm, scorned all quarters, and being entered, cruelly put all to the sword, making no difference of quality, age, nor sex, but all alike cruelly put to death: so that five or six at most escaped, whereof Ensign Lumsdell miraculously was one.

The enemy before this house was taken, as I was informed, lost above a thousand men, which made the enemies' cruelty the greater; and of our regiment were killed above three hundred. And it is reported, that after the fury was passed, they made inquisition for the Major's body, and having found it, they ripped up his breast, took out his heart, sundered his gums, and stuck his heart into his mouth; they also killed the preacher, who being on his knees, begging life, was denied mercy.

The ninth Observation.

Happy is he who opens the earth, and crops her plenty from her fertile bosom, tasting the harmony of peace, singing away his labours all day, having no note drowned with noise of drum nor cannon, but sleeps with peace at night, not over-awed by the tyrants of the earth, leading the ranks of blood and death, as these cruel murderers did at this time, by their monstrous and prodigious massacre, breaking the peace of God, swimming in Christian blood, without mercy to officer, soldier, or preacher, heaping up wrath on their own souls, against the day of their appearance before that great Judge, that shall judge both the quick and the dead.

Out of our enemies' cruelty used here, we ought to learn to forbear the like, lest one day we might be used as they used our friends and countrymen: for we may be revenged on our enemies' cruelty, repaying them in a Christian manner, without making beasts of ourselves; in not showing mercy being sought of us, which is to be more cruel than lions, who will not stir those who stoop unto them. And there is no greater token of injustice, than to do that unto another, that we would not have done unto ourselves. And would'st thou have mercy that refusest to show mercy, being sought of thee? No truly; it is just with God, that he miss mercy, that refuseth mercy unto others; and to have courage without mercy, is to brag of virtue, and lack the right use of it.

Was there greater perfidy in the world than was used here at the in-taking of this house, willingly to harm the dead, and the innocent? For to wrong an innocent preacher, was savage, beseeming a beast, not a man; and to give a stab, as was done here, for the innocent smile of an infant, was devillish black at the heart. We read in the Turkish story of a child, that struck an intending murderer into a swound with offering to embrace him. Would to God, all those that refuse mercy, were so stricken dead, to terrify such tyrants as they were! And I persuade myself, none but villanous persons, being commanders, ever suffered the like to have been done without moderation: but, I hope, haughty and violent minds will never bless the owners; but that by domineering they shall fall like dust.

This worthy cavalier, of famous memory, after his death thus unchristianly used, let no man judge by his end, that he in his lifetime used any man but generously: for I dare affirm, though sometimes he was subject unto passion, it continued not long, he being of a good, sweet, and mild nature, and very kind and constant, where he professed friendship, and as devout in the profession of his religion, professed in Scotland, as became a good Christian being sincere. And commonly his custom was, leading troops on service, till he came in action, he went before them bare-headed, praying for a blessing to his actions, as he hath told me himself; having asked a reason for this his manner of carriage, he scorned in all his onsets to have been anything but a leader, always teaching by the strongest authority, his own forwardness by his own example: And as his humour scorned to be so base as to flatter, so he did hate to be so currish as to bite. But he was ever endued with inviolable amity, joined with invaluable love; and as he was courageous, so he was constant; in the one, withstanding his enemies, in the other, entertaining his friend. In a word, he was a resolute Christian, and a man truly honest; and therefore I persuade myself, his death was but the beginning of his joy, and the end of his misery: having therefore written nothing amiss of him, I need desire no pardon. But I know some men will object, as a blame in him, that he refused a parley, while as there was no appearance, either of relief, or holding out: to which, I cannot otherwise answer, than he answered himself to some of the officers that were most inward with him, which was, that he was sorry the charge of the blood of so many souls did lie on his shoulders. But if he should give over that house, he was persuaded, the King his master would cause to hang him, seeing he had enemies about his Majesty, who would make him die, though innocent. Therefore he resolved to die honourably, rather than his name should be brought in question, and then to suffer at last. Here also we see a poor minister in his last act giving good example, not terrified with the horror of death, nor cruelty of his enemies, but on his knees being denied of mercy from man, begs mercy of God, dying as a martyr, persecuted unto death.

A happy death to him, being resolved with God and his conscience, to die innocently, like a valiant soldier of Christ, encouraging others, even in the last act of his calling! A happy man, dying in sincerity, time shall not out-live his worth; he lives truly after death, whose pious actions are his pillars of remembrance; for though his flesh moulder to dross in the grave, yet his happiness is in a perpetual growth, no day but adds some grains to his heap of glory.

The tenth Duty discharged of our March unto Lolland, leaving three companies in Fune.

My Colonel and his officers being parted for Scotland to bring over a recruit, I being left to command the regiment: In November I received orders from his Majesty to leave three companies in Fyn and to march myself, with the other four companies, and the regiment staff unto Lolland: the reason of our march was: the Imperialists having by shipping crossed Angelandsbaelt, and taken the Isle of Fehmarn under their contribution, Lolland the Queen Mother's dowry being next unto it, and without soldiers, his Majesty was afraid the enemy out of Fehmarn might set over with shipping, destroy the land, and retire again, seeing there was no fortified city within Lolland, though it was the fertilest soil within Denmark: to prevent this inconvenience, I was ordained to march thither, and to quarter the companies in the most convenient parts of the land, and to remain there during his Majesty's will, having only charge to watch where our garrisons lay, and the boors were ordained to watch night and day alongst the coast, at such places where the enemy might land: This march though short was tedious, being in the midst of winter the ways deep and foul, being fat clay ground, the best and fertilest part in Denmark; and the march was the more troublesome, that we were forced in the winter time to cross the seas over Angelandsbaelt twice.

Marching through Langland, having quartered there a night, there happened an odious complaint to be made on a soldier called Mac-Myer of Monro his company, for forcing the boor's daughter, where he quartered. The boor complains to the Commissary, and the Commissary to me; to satisfy justice, we called a council of wars (having our auditor with us) of the regiment officers; the business exactly examined, according to his Majesty's articles, the soldier was condemned to die, and to be shot at a post, to terrify others by his example from the like heinous sin: The soldier getting time for that night to prepare himself for death, the minister instructing him of his duty, the next morning the companies drawn to arms, a guard was directed to see the execution, the soldier courageously and Christianly resolved, being tied to a post was shot dead by his comrades, who without any delay executed the command laid on them by the malefactor, whose corpse was presently buried. The next day having shipped, we crossed over unto Lolland, where, according to his Majesty's orders, we were well quartered and courteously received. The Colonel's company and Sir Patrick Mac-Geys with the staff, were quartered with me in Maribo, Captain Mac-Kenyee his company were quartered in Rødby, and Captain Monro his company in Nykøbing, where the Queen mother did remain.

The tenth Observation.

Here I did observe that wisdom and virtue were the best guards of safety, the one securing the soul, the other the estate and body: For this magnanimous and wise King, by his foresight and wisdom, did prevent the evil (by a timely foresight) which his enemies might have brought upon this Isle of Lolland, being the richest part within the Kingdom, for corn a magazine, and a garner for foreign countries: It abounds also in all sorts of fishes, the ponds belong to the gentry, making great commodity of their fish, being sold in the cities and country, that are not licentiate to have the like of their own. The gentry of this land are much given to policy and economy, following the example of their King, having great stalls and stables, containing above four hundred oxen, and their stables some threescore horses, being well fed and made lusty, they are sold to the Germans, which yearly brings unto the gentility great store of money: this island abounds in deer and wild fowl.

This country is also plentiful of wood for building of ships, where his Majesty every year hath some builded by his own master builder, a worthy gentleman begotten of Scots ancestors, called Mr. Sinclaire, who speaks the Scottish tongue, and is very courteous to all his countrymen which come thither. The citizens also of this island, being very rich, build ships for their own use, and some they sell unto strangers.

My host the Burgomaster of Maribo, sometime furnished his Majesty for building of his ships, to a reckoning of one hundred thousand rixdollars, so that in a word, in this little Isle of Lolland I did observe virtue to be habitual in it, and so was the people's goodness distributive unto us and our soldiers, so that during our residence there, we were so welcome, that all things smiled upon us, where it was my fortune one night to have gotten his Majesty to be my guest, having then my quarter in the Burgomaster's house, and though he was a king, I persuade myself he was contented with his entertainment, being both good and rare, whereof truly I had a good deal, but my guest departed by three of the clock in the morning without bidding me farewell; yet being his Majesty's will, I was well pleased, having sat up all night I was not for attendance in the morning, which his Majesty at his departure gratiously did excuse.

To return then to my observation, I did see and learn here the truth of that proverb in his Majesty's person, that the wise man only is the cunningest fencer; no man can give a blow so soon, or ward and keep himself so safely as the wise man, and nothing is to be placed above him, but God, the King of Kings and giver of wisdom. To live is common, to be wise and good particular, and granted to a few: many I see wish for honour, for wealth, for friends, for fame, for pleasure; I desire but those two; virtue, and wisdom, which both I saw in this magnanimous king, and in his country people following his Majesty's example. We find not a man that the world ever had so plentiful in all things, as was Solomon: yet his request was but one of these two, though indeed it includeth the other; for without virtue, wisdom is not; or if it be, it undoes us at last: and to return to my observation, in my judgement it may be said of this magnanimous king, as was said of Caesar, Semi-Deus est: for as he is valiant, so he is learned, Ex utroque Rex, being valiant and wise, a prince of an excellent spirit, capable of all good things, as I have seen, and observed in him: he is learned in the liberal sciences, and understands well the mathematics and the practise of fortifications, as a soldier studied in the laws, joining arms with justice, two great helps for the government of a princely dignity: he handles well his arms, and is expert in riding of horses, a strong man for wrestling, as all Europe affords, able for to give strokes, and the levellest shooter with a piece, that ever I did see; for with a pistol he never misses a dog in the head he shoots at; for experience in warfare, nothing inferior to the greatest captains we read of, easy to come to, and very affable, patient to bear with heat, cold, hunger, and most durable in travail; and if I were to wish for the personage of a man, mine eyes did never see his like, for a stately majestic person, whom ever I will greatly respect and love for the good received, and shall be ever ready to serve him against all his enemies, my gracious sovereign only excepted, and his dearest sister's royal issue, to whom I have vowed my best service.

Here also in this kingdom I did observe, that there is nothing moves subjects more to obedience, than the opinion they conceive of their prince's care and diligence, in the conservation of his kingdom and subjects; and experience teacheth us, that the obedience due to kings by their subjects is weak, if it be not grounded on fear and respective reverence. As authority is gotten by honourable and convenient carriage: so oft-times we see it is lost by evil carriage. So that all greatness destitute of virtue doth vanish in an instant; and therefore the poets did say, that honour and reverence were the children begotten of majesty and authority: the example wherof, we have in the person of Charles called the Wise, who having seen France ruined by the former wars, under his predecessors Philip and John, Normandy and Picardy possessed by the English, and having Edward the third to deal with, the best and happiest king ever England had, who defeated the French in two battles. This prince resolved to keep the rest, finding it to be as good to govern by counsel as by force of arms, he did nothing rashly nor unforeseen, but his designs were all well premeditated and digested, making choice of men wise, valiant, and knowing how to command in wars. Edward seeing his sword thus blunted, and the course of his victories by the wisdom of Charles interrupted, said, who did ever see one out of his chamber to give a man so much ado without arms? Thus Charles was so wise, that his enemies did make no difficulty to praise him, for he not only freed his people from misery, but also gathered afterward a great treasure for his son, being called rich, as he was wise, and being respected of his subjects, and of his enemies, as this magnanimous King of Denmark is, for his prudence after his wars, is as much to be commended, as his valour was in preserving his subjects & throne from his enemies, being redacted to a corner; and his counsel served also well, for the good of his subjects, the estate of his throne, and for the recovery of his loss. And therefore Cicero said, that counsel availed for the good of the state as well as captains, for it is oft seen in effect, that by the good advice of the one, the others have happily drawn, and governed their swords; And in another place he saith that Agamemnon general of Greece, did never wish for ten such great captains as Ajax was, but rather ten wise counsellors, as Nestor was, which made Cicero so often to proclaim the honour due to eloquence above valour, saying, Cedant arma togae, concedat laurea linguae but joined together, as in this magnanimous King of Denmark, they work one to another's hands, for the establishment of his throne, which I wish so long to continue as the world. Here also we may learn to eschew vice by the punishment inflicted upon this soldier for his exorbitancy, in having ravished a virgin of her honour, he was bereft himself of life, by God's justice, punishing man for sin examplary to others.

Against this sin of ravishing emperors ordained punishment, to wit, to lose their heads, and their goods also to be confiscate, but the law of the canonists treats more meekely with ravishers, suffering them to marry those whom they ravished: But the Lord judging more severely, steeping his rods in vineger, ordains stricter punishment for such malefactors. To eschew therefore the committing of such villanies, I will here set down some remedies to hinder man from such vices, that we may eschew the like punishment. The first remedy then is to abstain from the excess of wine and meats, not to be drunk with wine, wherein there is dissolution. The second remedy is to eschew idleness and too much sleeping, which is enemy to travail and diligence. The third, to eschew the company of uncleaan persons, whose delight is in filthy communications, for he that will touch pitch, must be defiled with it. Evil speeches corrupt good manners; and with wolves we learn to howl and cry. Dinah the daughter of Jacob desiring to see what was not convenient, neither for her shamefacedness, nor for the respect she ought to have carried to her father's house, was ravished, violated, and was the cause of greater evil. The fourth remedy is to keep both women and maids in a convenient modesty of a chaste behaviour, without which there is a door opened to all villany and filthiness, which is able of virtue to make vice. The other remedies are, to live soberly and virtuously in our callings, eschewing evil company and filthy communications, loving rather to take pains in our callings, remembering our duty we owe to God, in not delighting in any uncleanness, that we may eschew the malediction hanging over the heads of those, which continue in their filthiness without repentance, abusing the long suffering and patience of the Lord our God and Father.

To conclude this observation, there are laws and justice observed as well among soldiers, as in other governments, and the strictest justice that is, with least partiality: our laws are the King's Articles, we are sworn to obey our president or judge, he amongst us present having the command, to whom his Majesty joins, as assessor to the judge, an auditor for doing of justice, our assizers or jury we have not to seek (viz.) a competent number of thirteen of our own regiment, officers, captains, lieutenants, ensigns, sergeants and corporals, till our number be full: our proforce or gavileger brings in the complaints, and desires justice, in his Majesty's name, to the party offended, and to his master the King's Majesty or general, that führs or leads the war; and every regiment is bound to have an executioner of their own, which if the regiment wants, the colonel is obliged to hire another to do the execution for payment, and sometimes as the crime and the person is respected, that is to suffer, he is honoured to be shot by his comrades, or beheaded, not suffering an executioner to come near him. Other slight punishments we enjoin for slight faults, put in execution by their comrades; as the loupegarthe, when a soldier is stripped naked above the waist, and is made to run a furlong betwixt two hundred soldiers, ranged alike opposite to others, leaving a space in the midst for the soldier to run through, where his comrades whip him with small rods, ordained and cut for the purpose by the gavileger, and all to keep good order and discipline; for other lesser faults, there is ordained slighter punishments, as irons, standing at a post, his hands bound up above his head; likewise sitting on a treen or wooden mare, in some public place, to make him ashamed of his fault: As also sometimes to stand six or seven hours longer than ordinary at the sentry posture; as I was once made to stand in my younger years at the Louvre gate in Paris, being then in the King's regiment of the guards, passing my prenticeship, for sleeping in the morning, when I ought to have been at my excercise, for punishment I was made stand from eleven before noon, to eight of the clock in the night sentry, armed with corslet, head-piece, bracelets, being iron to the teeth, in a hot summer's day, till I was weary of my life, which ever after made me the more strict in punishing those under my command.

The eleventh Duty discharged of our expedition by water unto the Isle of Fehmarn, and of the in-taking of it.

The twenty-second day of March 1627, his Majesty having come in person to Lolland with two thousand five hundred foot, having appointed rendezvous at Rødby, I had orders to repair with all diligence to the rendezvous, with the four companies commanded by me of our regiment: his Majesty's intention being to ship at Rødby, to fall on the enemy upon the Isle of Fehmarn, as being too near in neighbourhood unto Denmark: for preventing of their evil, his Majesty resolved to visit them before they should visit his country, and in the extremity of a bitter frost we were all shipped in open scouts or boats, where we lay three days with contrary winds in the road very much perplexed and troubled with the extremity of cold weather, being hard frost and snow: the storm continuing we were appointed to come ashore, and to retire to our former quarters, till orders were sent us to rise again, so that the sixth of April we shipped again. And on the eighth we anchored before the island, where the enemy with diligence planted ordnance for hindering of our landing. But was repaid again by our ordnance ten for one: During which service, we were landing our soldiers with small boats by twenties and thirties. The enemy with cannon and musket giving continual fire on us, till at last seeing a strong body of soldiers landed, and he having no horsemen to second his foot, he was compelled to retire his cannon, making his retreat to a strong fort they had built of purpose on the island, leaving the rest of the island and the cities at our mercy; the towns being of no strength.

Before it was dark we were all landed, with our cannon and ammunition, encamping for that night in the fields, keeping strong guards and diligent watch. The enemy being discouraged, we had not so much as one alarm. The next morning his Majesty marched towards the fort with his forces and artillery, and having himself recognosced or spied the fort, retired, giving orders for our several quarters: Our soldiers were entered to work the approaches, which were ordained and assigned to us to approach on. The enemy being scarce of victuals, and knowing of no relief, resolved as his best course to parley, and having sent forth a drummer, which being received, and the parley granted, pledges being delivered Hinc inde, the accord goes on, and is presently agreed upon. The conditions granted to the enemy were somewhat hard, (viz.) that they should leave their arms, baggage, and ammunition within the fort, and that they should come forth in his Majesty's reverence, of mercy, or of none; which accordingly they did undergo. But before their out-coming, there was a prohibition given to all our soldiers, that no man should wrong or injure them: Nevertheless, at their coming out, the country boors (ever cruel to soldiers) remembering the hard usage of the soldiers to them in the winter time, seeing them come forth unarmed, ran violently upon the soldiers, knocking them pitifully down, they caused great disorder, so that in the fury the Count of Montgomery, Colonel to a French regiment, was knocked to the ground, and left for dead, being taken for a Walloon, or one of the enemies' officers. This insolency of the boors continued (in killing the poor soldiers) till by his Majesty's charge, I was commanded to put my soldiers to arms to suppress the boors, which was presently obeyed by my soldiers, who again robbed the boors of that they had taken from the enemy, and withal were well knocked. The tumult appeased, the enemies were sent away by boats to Holstein, where they were put ashore, and left; his Majesty then refreshed his troops for three days, during which time, the island was brought under contribution to his Majesty, and a governor with a garrison being left on the island to keep them in obedience, and to hinder the enemies' return, we were commanded to be in readiness for a second expedition.

The eleventh Observation.

Scipio said, we were most in danger when we wanted business, for while we want business, and have no foe to awe us, we are ready to drown in the mud of vice and slothfulness. So our regiment having lain six months in idleness and sloth, eating and drinking, and sometimes doing worse, for lack of employment in our callings, falling out amongst ourselves unnecessarily, and without reason abusing both burghers and boors, so that when we lacked employment, then was the gavileger and his irons best employed, insolency domineering, so that when we came to endure hunger, thirst, and cold on our ships, we were grown so effeminate, that we could not sleep without a good bed, our stomachs could not digest a gammon of bacon, or cold beef without mustard, so far we were out of use, till this magnanimous King came to lead us, who in a short time, without the help of physic, cured our cloyed stomachs, hardened our effeminate sides, instead of a warm chamber, made us contented with a hole digged in the ground, to let the wind and bullets fly over us, making hunger our best sauce, giving us employment, and to our gavileger rest and ease at home.

O how bright then doth the soul of man grow with use and negotiation! Now could our soldiers having made a little booty on this island, speak like Cleanthes, when he had laboured and gotten some coin, he shows it his companions, that he then could nourish another Cleanthes: even so our soldiers showing and telling their comrades of their booty, they rejoiced the hearts of their leaders, whom before they had offended by their exorbitancy in their idleness, bringing joy with profit, when they were exercised in their callings, banishing mischief from themselves by their diligence: for it is one of our greatest happiness in our calling, to have a mind and love to virtuous exercises, raising us daily to blessedness and contentation; for every one shall smell of that he is busied in, and every noble action adds sinews to the virtuous mind: where on the contrary, surely he must be miserable, that loves not to be diligent in his calling, when he ought to employ himself; for if he grows no better, yet sure it keeps him from doing worse, not having time by his idleness to entertain the Devil. When our enemies least looked for us, then came we with Bellona, summoning him to the combat, but he obeys not, and for his cowardice we degrade him of his arms, and banish him to some other corner to lurk in, seeing he lacked the courage to have made us sport at our landing, or to have given us an alarm in our quarters; to have once tried what for soldiers we were, or what resolution or conduct we had: for he ought to have busied us at our landing, as well with the spade and the shovel, as with the pike and the musket, and so we could have said, we had an enemy, as we had not, but a flying dastard or coward.

This fort was scurvily given over, which any resolute commander could well have kept for three days, during which time, he had added to his own reputation, and subtracted doubtless from ours, by diminishing of our number, which at last would have made him get better conditions of quarters, and a more honourable accord: for in such a case, I would choose before I came in my enemies' reverence without arms, rather to fight to the last man, and if I chanced to be the last, I had rather die, being resolved, with resolution having arms in my hands, than unawares, being unprepared, to be knocked down miserably, when I looked not for death.

Here I did see the engineer that built this fort (who in time of working did oftentimes beat the boors to make them work) for his cruelty he was most cruelly beaten again, and he running to his Majesty's feet for refuge (thinking thereby to escape) was on his knees crying for mercy, so hard pursued by the multitude, that before his Majesty he was cruelly beaten dead, as the reward of his former tyranny, and so would God.

Here also we see, that oftentimes the innocent doth suffer with the guilty, as happened to that worthy cavalier the Count of Montgomery, being cruelly beaten by the rascal multitude: which should teach all cavaliers bearing charge at such times, to look unto themselves in attending their master or general on horseback, when an overcome enemy is marching out of strength or town, or otherwise they ought to be on the head of their charge attending their duty; or if for pleasure they would look on, they ought to be on their guard, lest being taken for private men, they might be disgraced receiving a disaster, as this cavalier did.

Happy therefore are those who can eschew evil by the example of others. Here also we see, that the best means to suppress the insolency of the tumultuous multitude, is a band of well commanded soldiers with arms, who are ever good servants, but more often cruel masters. It is then the duty of a general in such cases, peremptorily to see that his accord be kept, which otherwise being broken causeth much evil and mischief to follow. His Majesty as he was diligent in the in-taking of this island, so we see him careful of the keeping of it, as his conquest, by leaving a governor with a garrison in it, to be his retreat, in case of need, out of Holstein. We read that Guicciardini in his history of the wars of Italy in his first book, accuses under hand the French, that did enlarge their territories by arms, and did not maintain and keep their conquests, but on the contrary did ruin themselves in the end.

The Emperor Augustus, having read the great conquest of Alexander in the East, he did wonder that Alexander did not take care to keep them, as he travailed to win them. It is said of Pyrrhus King of Albany, that where he once set his foot, he was conqueror there. But was ever unfortunate in keeping his conquest, and therefore the King Antigonus compared him to a gamester at dice, that lost his own in hope of gain. Examples we have of this at home without wars.

Leonard Darrez in his 3rd book of the wars of Italy against the Goths, Totilas King of the Goths being made conqueror of Rome, in his harangue made to his army concluded, that it was harder to keep a country conquered, then to win it: for in conquering oft-times (as here) the cowardice of the enemies helps more than our own valour, & to maintain our conquest we had need of valour and justice. That custom of the Turks is commendable, that when he enters into his chapel, the beadman of the temple going before him, cries out aloud, that he remember, that the empire attained unto by arms and justice, is to be maintained with the like: so mutiny is and should be holden detestable amongst soldiers, and in all well governed estates. For the use therefore of my fellow comrades, and for the benefit of my country, I will speak somewhat at large of the fury, cruelty and barbarity of the multitude, mutinous and superstitious, that we may avoid the evil incident thereto, I will set down here my collections on this point, which occurred in my observation. The philosopher Plato called the wisest and most honourable amongst the Grecians, says, the people are ungrateful, cruel, barbarous, envious, impudent, being composed of a mass of fools, naughty, debauched, and desperate: for all that is spoken by the wise, displeases the people that are incensed. And Baleus writing the lives of the Popes, writes of Pope John the twenty third being asked what thing was farthest from truth, he answered, it was the vulgar opinion, for all things they praise merit blame, what they think is but vanity; what they say is but lies; they condemn the good, and approve the evil, and magnify but infamy: And Nicholas Hanap Patriarch of Jerusalem, in his book of the unconstancy of the people, hath a whole chapter apart to this purpose, and Arrianus in his first book praiseth much the wisdom of Alexander the Great, in taking away from the people of Ephesus the means to mutiny against the chief men of the town: for some of the mutineers being executed Alexander forbids to search, or punish the rest, knowing that if once the popular could loose the rein, there was nothing to follow but mischief, where the innocent might suffer as well as the guilty, as witness here the Count of Montgomery, that ran the hazard of death, being long bedrid after his beating, without sense or feeling. And Thucydides did in his third book, speaking of those of the Isle of Corfu, did feel the evil of a sturdy popular having licence to do evil, how much it was to be doubted, in so much that the massacre being so cruel, that there was no villany left unpractised, and such strange things he writes of, that the fathers did suffocate their own children, and those that were run to the churches for refuge, were cruelly put to death; who pleases may read the story, where it is set down more at large. As also to read the late massacres in France, from the year 1560 to this present time, especially the massacre of the twenty-fourth of August 1572 in the chiefest cities of the kingdom, continuing without respect of age or of sex, as well against the dead as the quick, as saith Lactance in his sixth book and second chapter: humanity was so far gone from men, that to take away the life of their neighbours was but sport, being become beasts drunk with custom of blood, not sparing the innocent, but doing to all, what the hangman doth to malefactors. Therefore Quintus Curtius saith properly, that the deep sea in a tempest hath not more waves, then the tumultuous multitude hath changes; especially getting liberty by a new government: And Titus Livius in his fourth book of the third decade saith, so is the nature of the people to serve as slaves, or strike like tyrants. Read also Thomas Fasell in his tenth book of the second decade of the history of Sicily, a memorable example of sedition, moved in Palermo of Sicily, where John Squarelazop was chief leader, amply described in brave terms, he having seen the tragedy himself, where he complains of the ruin of the city, justice and laws being abolished, avarice rife, and pride did reigne and dominier (a pleasant story to read and make use of) in the day robbing unpunished, spoiling the Church in all confusion. Aristotle says well, that such changes come by them that have eaten up their own, and have no more.

There was also sedition moved at Lisbon, in the year 1506 by the fantasies of the multitude, that was a flood that took away almost all the Jews, that were turned Christians, whereof there were killed above a thousand, and the massacre continuing three days was never appeased, till at night the third day Arius Silvius and Alvare of Caster gentlemen, and chief of the justices, came with men of war in arms to Lisbon, and appeased the tumult. The King's Majesty hearing the news of this horrible sedition, being much grieved did presently send unto Lisbon two of the chiefest of the court, to wit; Jackes Allmod and Jackes Lopes, with full power to punish the malefactors of such cruelty, where publicly there was executed a great number of the seditious popular, and the priests, that moved them to the sedition, were first put off their charge, then hanged, then burnt, the judges and magistrates that were loathfull to suppress that popular rage and fury, were some deprived of their estates, and condemned to great penance, and the town itself was deprived of their privileges and honours: I pray God to keep my country from the like. Who pleaseth to read the story, it is much worth, and of great observance for any good Christian.

Another notable story of the like we have in the beginning of the reign of Charles the fifth successor to Ferdinand King of Spain and Sicily, in whom did fail the race of the kings of Aragon; the people being moved by a monk continued long in seditions one after another, till God did remove it at last, and since they lived peaceable.

To conclude then this point, it is a vain thing to be a follower of the popular sort: for none is the better for their praise, nor the worse for their blame. And therefore Plutarch said well, that one man could not be master and servant of the people, otherwise, perforce it behoveth him to fall into inconveniency; as we read in the fable written of the serpent, the tail whereof came one day to quarrel the head, saying, he would go his day about foremost, and not go always behind, which being granted unto him by the head, he found it worst himself, not knowing how or where to go, and became the cause that the head was all spoiled and rent, being compelled against nature to follow a part without sight or hearing to lead it. The same we have seen happen unto those who in the government of the public would do all things to please the multitude, and being once tied to that yoke of slavery, in all things to will and agree with the common and lower sort, that oft-times are rashly moved and without reason, howsoever they cannot thereafter come off and retire, hinder or stay the fury and rashness of the people. And therefore the great servant of God Moses did properly comprehend in the blessings promised unto the Israelites their obedience to God's laws, that the Lord might establish them in the first rank a head; in brief that they should be as masters, and should not be subject. Read Deut. 28.

The twelfth Duty discharged of our expedition by water to Ekernförde in Holstein, and of the in-taking of it.

The eleventh of April 1628 we got orders to ship again, and being shipped we sailed along the coast of Holstein, till we arrived before Ekernförde, where lay a garrison of the Imperialists, being five hundred strong, half dragoniers and half foot soldiers, having anchored while we were providing for our landing, the town being no strength the dragoniers marched away, leaving the captain of foot to defend the place, who had a skonce without the town, with a running line from the skonce to the port of the town, and thinking us to be but a weak flying party, that durst not remain long on the land, seeing the enemy lay strong of horse, and foot near by, he resolved as his best, to defend the skonce without, whereunto he drew his strength: his Majesty commanded us to land our forces, and to storm the skonce, he staying a-shipboard looking on us, we land in all haste, being almost two thousand foot of several nations, English, Scots, Dutch, and French: all about equal strength; we threw dice for the vanguard, who should fall on first, concluding those [who] threw most should have the leading, and so successively to second one another, having thrown sixes, the honour of the vanguard or leading fell on me and mine; the English falling next unto us, having put ourselves in order, and dealt out ammunition, recommending the success to the Lord, by our preacher Mr. William Forbesse, companion of our dangers, and having directed Ensign Allane to recognosce or spy the best advantage, being retired, I commanded Captain Lieutenant Carre with fifty musketeers to a broken house, that flanked on the skonce, giving him orders to give fire from thence on their backs, as we marched to them in front, and in case of their retreat to the town, to cut off their passage, or at least to march in with them. Thus done, I gave charge to my musketeers that no man should give fire till I commanded, but to follow their leaders still in good order. The ground we were to advance on to the skonce, was plain as pavement; the skonce not being high, our resolution was to storm without giving fire, and as we advanced those of the skonce did give three several salvoes of musket thundering amongst us, whereof some felt the smart, and Captain Mac-Kenyee was favourably shot in the leg, and I more favourably in the hilt of my sword, which afterwards I gave to Mac-Kenyee. The most hurt was done to the English marching after us, led then by Captain Chamberlaine, a worthy and a valorous gentleman. In this time we were advancing, our musketeers commanded by Carre, giving fire on their flanks many were hurt, and the captain shot in the arm seeing us give no fire, but marching hard to storm, he quit the skonce and retired to the town, and enters the port before us, shutting us out, and leaving a few hurt men behind him; we broke down the stacket, and the town not walled, we entered the broad side, and follow the enemy to the market-place, thinking he would fight us there. But he retired into the church, and shutting the doors defends the church, shooting out he did us great hurt: our soldiers not having forgotten their cruelty used at Breddenburg, resolved to give no quarters, and with a huge great ladder and the force of men we ran-forced the door and entered. I thinking to get the officers prisoners, entered withal, but could not find them: incontinent perceiving a great quantity of powder spread athwart the Church, fearing the blowing up of the powder, I commanded every man upon pain of death to retire, the word not well spoken, the powder blew up, blowing the top of the Church, above a hundred were killed, and a number burnt pitifully, and I with Lieutenant David Monro standing behind me, was also pitifully burnt: the blast passed, Captain Chamberlaine entering, finds the officers, and gives them quarters as his prisoners: of the soldiers few or none of two hundred and fifty escaped. The town was plundered, and his Majesty fearing the coming of the enemies' horsemen before our retiring, we got orders every man to ship again as we might best.

The twelfth Observation.

This service being but short, having had ado (as formerly) with a slight enemy, my observation must be the shorter: but to my great grief, as we found afterwards the next day, this day's service was but like a pleasant weathergall, the fore-runner of a greater storm; for they made booty this day, that had not the happiness to enjoy it eight and forty hours, as you shall hear in the next observation.

Our hap here and good success in making of booty was soon restrained: no man, no beast, no creature, but hath some thing to ballast their lightness. One scale is not always in depression, nor the other lifted ever high, but by the beam is ever kept in motion; nothing but hath some thing to awe it: man with man is awed and defended, the world is but a perpetual war, and a wedding. When the Assyrian fell, the Persian rose, when the Persian fell, the Grecian rose; the loss of one man is the gain of another. It is vicissitude that maintains the world. Here (I say) our soldiers made booty by oppression, which brought a sudden consumption with it, Hodie mihi, cras tibi. The dying fly lectures out the world's mortality, and though frequent, miserable man never thinks of his end, till it be too late, ever epicuring ourselves with this world's joy, till at last we are seized on unawares.

Here I must not forget the memory of our preacher Master William Forbesse, a preacher for soldiers, yea and a captain in need, to lead soldiers on a good occasion, being full of courage, with discretion and good conduct, beyond some captains I have known, that were not so capable as he: at this time he not only prayed for us, but went on with us, to remark, as I think, men's carriage, and having found a sergeant neglecting his duty, and his honour at such a time (whose name I will not express) having chidden him, did promise to reveal him unto me, as he did after their service, the sergeant being called before me, and accused, did deny his accusation, alleging if he were no pastor that had alleged it, he would not lie under the injury; the preacher offered to fight with him, that it was truth he had spoken of him; whereupon I cashiered the sergeant, and gave his place to a worthier, called Mongo Gray, a gentleman of good worth, and of much courage. The sergeant being cashiered, never called Master William to account, for which he was evil thought of, so that he retired home and quit the wars.

Some men perhaps will blame our conduct here, for pursuing men retired to a church, being a place of refuge. First, I answer, our orders we had of our master, were to beat our enemies, in taking them prisoners, or by killing them, which we could not effect, neither the one nor the other, without entering the church.

Secondly; They having banished the gospel, and the preachers of it out of the Church, we had good reason to banish them, who had made of the house of God a den of thieves and murderers, as they were at Breddenburg, having killed our comrades, and massacred our preacher, being on his knees begging mercy, and could find none.

Thirdly; They treacherously retired themselves to a loft apart in the church, for their own safeties, and left trains of powder to blow us up at our entry, which made our compassion towards them the colder; for when the subject of our hatred is sin, it cannot be too deep; and for my own part, I refused not to show compassion on those, who did beg it of me, and what others did in their fury, I did tolerate, not being powerful to hinder them: yet truly my compassion was so much, that when I saw the house ordained for God's service defiled with their blood and ours, and the pavement of the church covered over with the dead bodies of men, truly my heart was moved unto the mild streams of pity, and wept, as is reported of Caesar, when he heard how Pompey died. For in my opinion, pity, though she be a downy virtue, yet she never shines more brightly, than when she is clad in steel, and it is thought that a martial man's compassion shall conquer, both in peace and war, and by a two-fold way get victory with honour. And generally we have found and observed, that the most famous men of the world, have had in them both courage and compassion, and oft-times wet eyes as well as wounding hands. Fabius did conquer, as well by delaying, as Caesar by expedition. To end this observation, reason teacheth us to cast the blood of the slain upon the unjust authors of it. That which gives the mind security, is a just cause, and a just deputation; let me have these, and of all others, I shall think this one of the noblest and most manly ways of dying.

The thirteenth Duty discharged upon our expedition by water to Kiel, and of our service there.

Having retired all unto our ships, his Majesty made sail again alongst the coast of Holstein, till we entered before night, betwixt two lands that go up unto Kiel, where by six o'clock at night we set sail, within musket-shot of the town: the commander over the garrison doth keep himself and his people very wisely silent and close, making his Majesty suspect there was no soldiers in the town, providing for the worst, he expected his advantage at our landing: the whole night he was busied, and very provident, in working a running trench alongst the coast, near the height of a man under ground, over against our ships, within the palisades, unseen or known of us, where in the dead of the night he lodged, and placed a thousand musketeers, giving them charge, never to shoot, nor appear, till first our soldiers were almost landed: his Majesty not expecting the like, by seven of the clock in the morning, turns the broad sides of five great ships and two galleys on the town, and shoots at once, for the space of an hour, so fast as they could charge, seventy half cartows at every salvo, through and through the town houses, where many were lamed of legs and arms, and freed of lives. Nevertheless, the soldiers within the town never gave one shot of musket during that time, but the sling-pieces from the town were spreading their bullets thick amongst our fleet, which for the most part, shot over, doing us no great hurt: in the end, our cannon leaving shooting, his Majesty sent orders to set a party of two hundred musketeers a-shore, we that were officers met together in the admiral's ship, and agreed to command out the party, and having cast lots, it fell on the Dutch: they suspecting the danger, delayed, desiring the rest to command out alike, which we refused; seeing the lot had fallen upon them, except his Majesty would give a second command for it: thus contesting, we go together towards his Majesty, to know his Majesty's further resolution, and we show his Majesty of the Dutch's delay, on whom the lot had fallen; his Majesty considering better resolved, the party should be commanded proportionally of all nations alike, and to cast lots who should send a Captain to command them, the lot falling upon the English, they command a lieutenant that supplied the place of his captain in his absence, the party made ready, were sent from his Majesty's ship ashore, being twelve musketeers in every boat, with their muskets in readiness; the enemy perceiving them coming, gives a salvo of a thousand shot amongst them, twice before their landing, so that the half of them were killed: yet the Lieutenant valourously led on the rest, and begins the fight ashore, and continues the skirmish hot on both sides for one half hour, till the most part of our party were killed, their powder spent, and perceiving no relief was to come, his Majesty having considered the danger, the relief, though in readiness, was stayed. The lieutenant being the last man, retired with credit, being thrice shot, did come off, and died the next night. A sergeant of Captain Mac-Kenyee his company, called Mac-Clawde, an old expert soldier, and a diligent, son to Neale Mac-Clawde, was killed, and twenty-two soldiers of the thirty that I commanded out of our regiment, the rest being wounded, for fault of boats, came swimming in their clothes to his Majesty's ship, and were taken in.

The party thus lost, the enemy begun to thunder amongst our fleet, with two half cartows and six sling-pieces, where leaving our anchors, he was thought the best master that had his ship first under sail: his Majesty's ship being the last, was twice shot through, and two constables were shot in two in the waist. Thus forced to retire with great loss, we hold on our course towards the Isle of Fehmarn again.

The thirteenth Observation.

In time of this hot service, no man could perceive any alteration in the majesty of this King his royal face, but rather seemed notwithstanding of his loss, as it were, triumphing over his enemies, and comforting others, most graciously said. We ought not to be astonished, when things happen unto us beyond our expectation: and that which was more esteemed as a God amongst the pagans, was extraordinarily changeable, sometimes taking part with one, and sometimes with another. In a word, this magnanimous King did abate nothing of his former courage, or of his gravity: So that his very enemies, if they had seen him at so near a distance as I did, they could not but have humbly reverenced his Majesty for his magnific stature, higher than any ordinary man by the head: yet ashamed he was, to stoop for a cannon bullet, when they flew thickest.

And for the accomplishment of his virtues, nature hath given him an extraordinary rich presence, to wit, a face as manly as possible may be seen, worthy of a great King, well mixed in complexion, his eyes flaming and shining, full of courage, his beard brown, his nose aquiline, or imperial, his voice manly, winning the hearts of those that see or hear him; in effect, a royal King, full of assurance, without any fear at all, in respect of man: yet full of majesty, amiable to his friends, and terrible to his enemies.

Here then we may see, that it is the LORD that guards and keeps kings and princes from imminent dangers that environ them, whereof histories both ancient and modern, are full of examples of the miraculous deliverance of great personages from dangers.

One notable story I will bring to confirm this divine protection, in saving Titus son to Vespasian, appointed for the ruining of Jerusalem, to subdue and punish the Jews. Flavius Joseph in his sixth book and second chapter of the Wars of the Jews, records of him, that before the siege was laid to the town, of mind to recognize, he fell unawares amongst an ambuscade of his enemies, where then it was known, as much as ever, that it is the LORD who disposeth of the moments of war, and of the life of kings: for though Titus had no head-piece nor corslet on his back (having not gone to fight, but to recognosce) of an infinite number of shot, shot at him, none touched him, though many were shot behind him, those darts shot aside at him, he rebated them with his sword, and those shot low, he made his horse skip to eschew them. The Jews perceiving his resolution, made great noise, exhorting one another to run at him, and to follow him wherever he went. A rare example of a rare deliverance, where we see that he is well guarded, whom the Lord keeps. Here also we may see, what difference there is betwixt commanders, he in Fehmarn showed himself no soldier; neither yet the captain in Ekernförde: but this brave fellow that commanded in Kiel, preserved himself and others, and that with credit; where we see, that where wisdom and valour do meet, oft-times the success is answerable; and a man's discretion is seen when he abides a fit occasion, as this brave fellow did: where I find always, that those are the best commanders, that are resolute and remiss, not hunting before he sees his prey, and then with advantage, if he would catch.

Here also, experience dear bought did teach us, that it is better in commanding men on exploits, to command them proportionally out of divers regiments, than to command them all out of one, which were to undo a regiment: and we see often, that the examples of the noble carriage of officers, do much animate and encourage their followers to well-doing; and it is a comely thing for the servant of the public, to teach by example, which makes his fame live after death, as this worthy English cavalier did, especially being in the public view of the King his master, his comrades, and his enemies, carrying their characters from service, as the marks of his valour, without fainting, though wounded to death.

Here also our Scottish Highlandmen are praise-worthy, who for lack of boats, made use of their virtue and courage in swimming the seas, notwithstanding of their wounds, with their clothes, showing their masters, they were not the first came off, but with the last; following the example of their leader, they would not stay to be prisoners, as many do at such times, and never return.

I did also observe after this day's service, an alteration in the common soldiers' behaviour, while as before we were to send out a party of commanded men, we were troubled with the soldiers, striving who should go out on the party, every one desiring it should be he, but after this days smart once felt by their comrades, they learned to be more wise, and to stay till they were commanded, and then they obeyed, though not so freely as before.

Here also I will entreat thee, judicious reader, to give me leave to digress somewhat, to discourse a little of sea-fights, which occurred in the discharge of the last duty, though not properly belonging to my scope. Yet in this retreat-making, as we were in danger of killing, so were we in danger of drowning, by the enemies' cannon piercing our ships, repaying us for the hurt done by our ships and cannon to their town and soldiers, having in one hour discharged amongst them an infinite number of shot.

To give then notice to the reader of his Majesty's power by sea, I will relate a story of a sea-fight, that happened betwixt the Swedens and the Danes, which was in the year 1564, the thirtieth of May: the story is written by Gasperence in his Commentaries of the Swedens wars, as followeth.

Amongst other ships, saith he, there was one which in greatness and excellent equipage, went beyond all human apprehension, so that many affirmed, that since the memory of man, the like of her was not seen on the North Ocean, which by the Swedens, in their language, was called Makeless, that is to say, Matchless, carrying two hundred pieces of ordnance. The Swedes' admiral, trusting much in this ship, did employ his whole force against the principal Dane ship, called the Fortune, furiously cannonading her, till he had shot her fourteen times under water, and above one hundred times above water, on her masts and shrouds: the conflict of the first day being doubtful, both the armies being much endangered, the next day the Danes being sure of one side, next the land, and on the other side, having the Swedens fleet, that pressed to make them ground, but the wind turned so, that the Danes having the wind at best, they chased the Swedens fleet, scattering them so, that the Matchless being almost overthrown by the strength of the Danes' fleet, was driven on a bank of sand, where she was burnt by the Danes with wild fire, which the Danes launched within her, the admiral of the Swedens, called Jacques Bagg, and Arrold Troll, counsellor of the kingdom, and a lord called Christopher Ander, were taken prisoners. The Swedens finding their best strength lost fly, being followed of the Danes, whose ships being shrewdly battered by the cannon of the Swedens, that it was impossible to sail, or keep the sea longer, but were forced to harbour till they were helped. Where we see, by the ruin of this great hulk, that God is not pleased when men make such cities of timber; but on the contrary, ruins them, not suffering any to grow proud of their might.

Paul Jove in his seventy book records a story of a sea-fight, that happened betwixt the French and the English: Two English ships having pursued one French ship, of an extraordinary greatness, called the Cordeliere, having fought long with cannon, with fire staves, and with artificial fire pots, in one instant were miserably consumed by fire, having lost above two thousand men, burnt, killed and drowned, and lost in ground thought incredible, near two hundred piece of cannon, as reports Hubbert Waleus, who amply hath written this story; and of the loss of those ships, he writes in his addition to the History of Gagwine.

Athene makes mention of some worthy observation, in his fifth book, and fifth Chapter. Ptolemy Philadelph King of Egypt had a great number of ships, amongst which were two, each one having thirty ranks of seats, called trignitriremes, so that they were marvelous great, and Ptolomy Philopater caused to build a ship, of two hundred and eighty cubits in length, and of forty eight cubits in height from the keel to the poop, with four hundred mariners, and four thousand rowers: and that ship of Hieron Prince of Syracuse, built by the skill of Archimedes, was yet greater then this other, according to the report of Athene, who reports things seeming incredible being a worthy author, which according to his account did carry two thousand tons, being a prodigious monster, so that there could not be found a sure harbour for that city built of timber, so that Hieron did send a present of all the wheat and provision within her to the King of Egypt, for the relief of his country. Plinius writes of another ship in Claudius Caesar his time, that carried six score thousand bushels of corn, whereof the mast was so great that four men could not fathom it, where we may see, how these Princes of old delighted in making of things out of measure.

More of this we may read in our own story, of the ships built by King James the fourth King of Scotland, whereof one was such a huge great ship as ever was seen on our seas: she was so great, that Henry the eighth and Francis the first, kings of England and France through jealousy caused to build every one of them a greater ship then the Scottish ship, which being made ready, and put to sea, were improfitable for navigation, and this Scottish ship also was improfitable, being lost by Admiral Hamilton on an exploit at Bristol. Where she being robbed of her equipage, she rotted on that coast by succession of time.

At Venice this day we hear of a fair ship, but not in comparison of these for quantity, of which Instinian writes as follows, above water she is garnished with columns, many in number, gilded with fine gold. When any prince or great man comes to Venice, the Duke & senators to do him honour, lead him unto this ship, where before the mast on the highest stage or degree, is set the Duke's chair, where the prince is set amongst the ambassadors, and the lords of the privy council, and all men about, on banks set lower, all the senators with great silence and gravity, sitting on those banks under them, are those that lead the ship, even by force against the stream, though the wind be contrary.

The territories of the Duchy are seen, with the Duke's buckler, clad and covered with black, the ship is covered with tapestry of velvet or scarlet, well bound that the wind may not discover those under it; at the rudder there is to be seen, the portrait of justice in clean gold, having in the right hand a naked sword, and in the left a balance: she is called Bucentaure, bu signifying great, and centaure, as the most ancient mark of ships built in the time of Sebastian Siano Duke of Venice; at the coming of the Emperor Frederick Barbarossa, for treating of the peace betwixt the Pope and the Venetians.

Osorius writes of the mighty ship of Dian, which alone fought against the whole fleet of King Manuel, and at last was taken: and in another place of the same story, he speaks of a great ship, called Reffe, that fought valiantly against the Portugals, and they being entered into her, there was made on the sudden an artificial fire, that so affrighted the pursuers, that they quit the Reffe, retiring the farthest they could from her, which fire did not burn, being artificially made, and the makers of it could extinguish it when they pleased.

To conclude then this observation and discourse of ships; I did observe here before Kiel, fire being entered into one of our ships, and the soldiers throwing salt water on it, it still burnt the more, till I made them throw fresh water, and then it was quenched, having before read the like in Plutarch treating of the natural causes. And Venice seated on the sea hath been often in danger of burning, as Sabellicus writes in his sixth book in the story of Venice, where he reports that the Temple [of] St Mark was almost all burnt, and the Duke's palace was preserved with great difficulty; which verifies, that fire and water are good servants but evil masters. God make us thankful for this deliverance, and from many more since, having been in danger of fire, water, sword, famine, pestilence, and from the cruelty of our enemies.

The fourteenth Duty discharged at Grossenbrode in Holstein.

This magnanimous King, yet still preferring the good of his country before his own rest and quiet, with the hazard of his person, landed again in Holstein, his forces not exceeding three thousand foot without horsemen: of intention, there to bring his army together, he drew out himself a royal leaguer with a strong fort in the midst of it, having the Isle of Fehmarn sufficiently provided of victuals and of ammunition, to furnish his army during that summer, and leaving the most part of his strength a-shipboard, he advanced himself with a thousand men, to a dorp called Grossenbrode, a mile from the shore, naturally well situated, which might be put in defence with little pains, to hold up an army. His Majesty having drawn the draught of the retrenchment, the boors set to work, I with the English and two Dutch companies, were made choice of, to guard his Majesty and the workmen; the enemy lying strong with horse and foot, within two miles of us. The first night's watch was laid on me and my soldiers: by break of day, a corporal and twelve horsemen of the enemies' were sent to try our watch, or rather, to betray us, which were holden up by our outer sentry, who calling to the guard, the guard taking arms: I directed a sergeant, and a corporal with twelve musketeers to advance, and to speak with those horsemen: The enemies' corporal finding himself wrong, pretended an excuse, alleging he was come to offer his service to his Majesty, and then retired: whereof incontinent I did inform his Majesty, who presently considered he was a spy sent from the enemy: before midday he returned with fifteen hundred horse, and some dragoniers; our intrenchment not ready, we draw to arms, his Majesty directing the two Dutch companies to beset the passes, and finding his person in danger retired, with a few musketeers, and leaving me and the English, being of equal strength to defend the dorp, promising to provide me of ammunition, and to send us relief: his Majesty thus retired, I caused a barricade of wagons to be made a hundred paces without the dorp, where I placed a lieutenant and thirty musketeers, giving him charge, if the enemy should advance to discover, or recognosce, then to give fire on them, and not otherwise; This done, the rest of our soldiers were placed for maintaining the entry of the dorp, and the English were appointed, as our reserve, to lie at arms, to be in readiness to second us; the enemy finding us provided, and their foot not being come up, they stand in battle, and direct two troops of horse to try the passes, meaning to come betwixt us and our ships, to cut off our retreat, but finding we had the pass beset with musketeers, they were forced to retire back, with the loss of three horsemen.

By this time, his Majesty did send Colonel Holck unto me (being come loose from the enemy on parole to solicit his ransom) to desire me, if the enemy forced entrance unto the dorp, that I should retire to the church-yard, which was but cold comfort, so being his Majesty had no intention to relieve us, and consequently, at last we should be the enemies' prisoners, after losing of our colours, which grieved us most. But I desired the Colonel to show his Majesty, that seeing I knew of no relief, if the enemy pursued us hard, I would choose rather to set the dorp on fire behind us, and then commit myself, and the rest to the hazard of fortune in making our retreat, rather than to become prisoners to the enemy. The Colonel gone, we pressing to make a fair show of a slight game, doubling our guards before night, and making great guard-fires in view of the enemy, his foot not come up, and seeing our resolution, he retired before night, where incontinent we imbraced the opportunity, and leaving some dragoniers behind us, we retired to our ships, giving orders to the dragoniers to follow after us, so soon as they thought we were safely retired. Before midnight, the enemy having gotten his foot joined with him, returned to the dorp, and the next morning advances towards us, till he was holden off by the fury of our ordnance of the ships. In the mean time, his Majesty had above four thousand boors at work, finishing the leaguer, and royal fort in the midst of it, whereon were placed eight pieces of cannon, the fort being higher then the leaguer, did command the fields about, which being complete, the two Dutch companies were left to maintain the fort, and the rest had orders to ship their men and to retire to Lolland, his Majesty having understood, that the enemy had beleaguered Stralsund. The second night, after our going away, the enemy coming to pursue the fort, the Dutch retire quitting the same, and their cannon also, with the loss of fourscore men, so that his Majesty's pains taken in Holstein was in vain, the Dutch retiring from it unfoughten.

The fourteenth Observation.

It is much to be lamented, when Kings, or great men prefer their own ease and rest to the public weal, suffering it to be overthrown: on the contrary part, it is worth much commendation, when a king, or a prince undertakes toil and travail of his body, for the safety of his people, to keep them in quiet from imminent ruin, with the hazard of his own life preserving his subjects. Therefore men ought to call to mind often, the wise counsel of Pericles, who said that when the public state was ruined, he that lived well at his ease, for his own particular, should not escape unruined, where on the contrary, the public state being well, the poor feel the less discommodity and is comforted in some manner. Caesar was of this opinion, when he said unto his captains and lieutenants, no man could so well establish his condition, as that it could not perish, if the public state were hurt: But if the public state did flourish, he might help and mitigate all the misery of all particular persons. And the Emperor Antony called the Debonnaire, was of that mind, when he took away the pensions of some pensioners of the public, that did no service, saying, there was no people more cruel, or more villanous, then those that did eat up the public. Would to God this magnanimous King had done so with a number of his commissaries, that had misguided his rich treasure, and were the undoing of his army, where they should rather have died than wronged their King and country, and should rather have left by will and testament to their children, an example of their fidelity and honesty, than a rich patrimony.

The rogues, the commissaries did much differ in their love to their King and country, from that worthy gentleman of famous memory, we read of in our own stories, called William Seaton, who is worthily recorded of, for his love to the public, preferring it to his own children, who being governor of Berwick, he and his wife did choose rather to quit their own lives, and the lives of their children, then to give over the place unto the English, choosing rather to keep it, for the weal of the public, and for the honour of their King and country: preferring the public-weal, to their own particular: the story I need not amplify, being well known. This magnanimous King, scorning the attempts of his enemies, ceaseth not still to hazard his own person and crown for the safety of his people: for he trusted and confided so much in God, that he knew well the sceptre was ordained for those that slighted it, and not for those did covet it greedily, as his enemies did.

Here also we see that the enemies' forces being drawn towards Stralsund, minding that way to come unto Denmark, his Majesty was diverted from his resolution, and was forced to join with Stralsund to make a defensive war, for the safety of his country and people, for if the enemy had gotten Stralsund, he had an easy way to come into Denmark, wherein there were no great strengths, and getting shipping, artillery and ammunition, (whereof his Majesty was well provided) he had then the pass open unto Britain, when he pleased. But he was wisely prevented by his Majesty and his Council, God bringing things to pass according to his secret decree, and not according to the will of man.

Here also we see, that it is the duty of a general lying near an enemy, to know all avenues well, and betimes to beset them well with diligence, and good watches; for if this pass at Gottenbrode had not been timely well beset, his Majesty might have fallen into the enemies' hands, the passage being cut off betwixt his Majesty and the ships.

Also in all extremities, it is the duty of commanders to encourage their inferiors, otherwise the passengers may be affraid, if the skipper or steersman gives over: as commanders do look to their own credits, so they ought to be careful of their followers' safeties.

The English and our nation are good seconds, one of another, being abroad, for commonly they take part one with another against any other nation; as happened here at Grotenbrode, where I did see fifty English and Scots chase above a hundred Danes, with swords into the sea, deeper than their waist, running into the Sea for their safeties, whereupon there was a complaint made unto his Majesty by the commissary on my comrade Captain Chamberlaine and me, for not suppressing our soldiers' insolency, from abusing of the Danes soldiers. The occasion of their quarrelling was, the Danes boors being commanded out for the King's service, and for the defence of their country, they had forty days provision with them, and being well furnished with dry beef and bacon, while as our soldiers did get nothing but hard biscuit and beer, they devised that one coming behind the Danes soldiers for taking up his knapsack, while as another should cut the strings before, and then to run away with it; this stratagem being oft practised by the English and Scots against the Danes; at last, the Danes resolved being stronger in the fields than they both were, to fight for their knapsacks: the occasion being offered, they yoke or join with swords, and fight in the leaguer, and the Danes were forced to give ground, and to retire within the sea for their safeties, sundry on both sides being hurt, their officers appeased the tumult, and after Captain Chamberlaine and I, though innocent of the fault, were mightily chidden by his Majesty: his Majesty assuring us, if the like happened again, he would punish us, and not our soldiers, which made us afterwards look more narrowly to their behaviour and carriage, making them live more peaceable with their comrades, in not oppressing them; for it is a hard time when one wolf eats up another.

The fifteenth Duty discharged of our March from Lolland to Elsinore, and from thence to Stralsund by water.

The eighth of May 1628, I being at Copenhagen, soliciting for our regiment, orders were given unto me, to be sent to Lolland and to Fune, to make our regiment march in all haste to Elsinore, and there to attend for their orders: the orders I did direct to Captain Mac-Kenyee, commanding him to keep good discipline in his march, and strict, being in his Majesty's own land; he receiving the orders breaks up the twelfth of May from Lolland, and continues his march to the rendezvous. The garrisons also in Fyn break up the said day, and continued their march towards their rendezvous. On the march through Zealand, Captain Mac-Kenyee his soldiers being quartered in a dorp, the boors go to arms to hinder their inquartering, the soldiers seeing the boors take arms, stayed not to be led by their officers, but entered the skirmish with the boors, where at the first salvo, four of the boors were killed dead, and sundry hurt, the rest fly away, leaving the dorp to the soldiers to be quartered in; the blame of this accident was laid on the commissary appointed for the convoy, who being absent was to answer for the wrong; but the commissary caused for revenge, a boor's daughter to complain on three soldiers of Captain Mac-Kenyee his company, alleging they had all three forced her, so that the soldiers were apprehended, conveyed in irons to Copenhagen, to be examined there before the General Commissary, the Stadt-holder and me: who being examined, no proof was found against them but accusations, whereupon they were remitted to prison till further trial, where there was an act made, they should suffer no trial, except I were present. Nevertheless, in my absence, they were all three executed, (viz.) Donald Rosse, James Dumbarre, and Alexander Caddell, who went to death without acknowledging the fact, still pleading their innocency. The Lieutenant Colonel Alexander Seaton, being then come from Holland, was ordained by his Majesty in all haste to ship three companies, and to go with them for the relief of Stralsund, I being appointed to stay for the other companies' coming; they being come to Elsinore, were shipped also, and arriving at Copenhagen, it behoved me in all haste to ship, and follow the Lieutenant Colonel, for relief of Stralsund being hard beleagered, where I entered the twenty-eight of May, and was no sooner drawn up in the market place, but presently we were sent to watch at Frankendore, to relieve the other division, that had watched three days and three nights together uncome off, that being the weakest part of the whole town, and the only post pursued by the enemy, which our Lieutenant Colonel made choice of, being the most dangerous, for his country's credit; where we watched forty eight hours together, till we were relieved again by the other division, and so singulis noctibus per vices, during six weeks time, that my clothes came never off, except it had been to change a suit or linens.

The fifteenth Observation.

This town of Stralsund being hard beleagered by the Imperialists, they desired humbly the protection and assistance of his Majesty of Denmark, which was willingly granted unto them: having accorded on their conditions, his Majesty made choice of our regiment to be sent thither, having had sufficient proof of our former service, in his Majesty's presence, and under command of others his Majesty's generals; So that before others we were trusted on this occasion, where we did come with a timely relief to those burghers, that were wearied and toiled with watching, and also hurt by their enemies, whom they had beaten from their walls twice before our coming.

In this accident, which happened in Zealand betwixt the boors and our soldiers, we may see the antipathy that is betwixt soldiers and boors, where the one cannot with patience endure the sight of the other, without some present jar, so that it were impossible to make them agree together, if military discipline were not strictly observed, and the transgressors exemplarily punished.

Here also I cannot omit the over-sight committed by those belly-gods the commissaries, that serve the public state worst, yet are oft-times best recompensed; whose neglect on this march, was the cause of shedding the innocent blood of the poor labourers, and of the soldiers also: and it was pity, such a King should entertain so many of this sort of belly-gods, that studied nothing so much, as to fill their own coffers, and to raise their houses, without any care had of the public weal.

Here also I cannot allow of that vain custom amongst the officers, that will make a bad choice for a little ostentive credit, having the good in their election, to make choice of the worst; for in occasions against our enemies, we should rather take all advantages, as of strength, of ground, of sun and wind: and shall he not be thought yet unwiser, who may be the instrument to save his people on service, that willingly will make choice of a place to lose them.

No menagry in my opinion comparable to that which spares the lives of men from losing, and I persuade myself, I need not insist in this reprehension, seeing the actor, though out of time, was sorrowful enough for his evil choice.

Here also I did observe, that frequent danger doth encourage the feeblest soldier, who by daily dangers, and the familiarity made with death, in stepping every day over the bodies of dead men, who perhaps never before had seen one die naturally, much less to see daily and hourly examples of violent death, learning wit, by by-passed losses, and experience had in the exercise of our calling, being hardened with toil and travail. Therefore, in my judgement, no man is more worthy of the name of a soldier, than he that endures best wearisome toil and travail in this honourable calling, not withdrawing the shoulder, but by pushing it forwards courageously, having once begun: for though in all affairs of this kind, the beginnings seem hard and difficult, yet soon after we find it lighter, according to the measure of our advancement, and reward in the end, we enjoy still the greater contentment, as became of me the first time my friends led me up a steep hill, when my breath begun to fail me, looking behind, and seeing what way I had put by, the rest to the top of the hill seemed nothing unto me, being so near the end of my travail, but was pleasant rather than tedious. And therefore we use to say, He that beginneth well hath half ended.

At our entry in this town, our travail and toil once begun, continued night and day for six weeks, till we grew hard with travail, yet not hard, as many of the Dutch, that are hard against the musket bullet, this proof we lacked. He that shows himself honest in his calling and travails, the travail passeth, the honesty remaineth: But on the contrary, when we have taken delight in evil, the delight passeth, and the evil remaineth. Happy therefore are those who travail in well-doing; for when the pains are gone, then do they enjoy the pleasure.

We read of Cincinnatus brought from the plough to the Senate, to be made Consul for his travail: the like we read of Quintus taken from his plough to be consul also; a great change. No wonder then to take a man from the plough to be a soldier; as the porter of Fowls, called Mac-Weattiche, who, in this town of Stralsund did prove as valiant as a sword, fearing nothing but discredit, and the down-look or frown of his officers, lest he should offend them.

The sixteenth Duty discharged of our Watches and Accidents, that occurred in this town, before the Enemy did storm our Works.

The twenty-eighth of May 1628, not without danger both by water and from land, we entered the town of Stralsund, the Imperial army lying before it, having their batteries near the water; at our in-coming they shot our mast, having grounded before our in-coming, we ran the hazard both of drowning and killing; but being again without hurt come off, our comrades wearied of watching, immediately after our entry we relieved the watch at Frankendore, being the only post in the town most pursued by the enemy.

The order of our watch was after this manner: of the seven companies one company watched still on the island before the town, called the Dänholm; the other three companies were ordained by four o'clock afternoon, to parade in the market-place, and afterwards to march to their post at Frankendore, without the walls on scurvy outworks, which were but slightly fortified with a dry moat, the enemy lying strong before us, and approaching near, we fearing a sudden on-fall, those that were relieved of the watch by five of the clock, were ordained again to meet by nine of the clock at night, and to watch again on the by-watch, till four of the clock in the morning, whereof the one half were appointed to lie in readiness at their arms without the port near the works, while as the other half were appointed also to lie in readiness at their arms on the market-place, to attend all occasions of alarms, either within or without the town: and thus we watched nightly, relieving one another, for the space of six weeks.

The rest of the posts, above the walls, were also beset by the Dutch, but none had the half of our duties to discharge, by reason the whole approaches were made by the enemy to us, as being the weakest part. Notwithstanding of this our great nightly watch and duty kept, the burghers of the city did prove very ungrateful and unthankful to us, in not quartering our soldiers, as they ought to do: for Captain Monro his company did lie on the streets four nights unquartered, till the fortnight that they came off the watch, unknown to their officers, they went to the Burgomaster his own house, and said, they would quarter with him, if there were not orders taken for their quartering, but receiving a soft answer, they retired for that night: in the mean time, the Burgomaster did complain to Colonel Holke, then governor, who did cause to assemble a council of war, where the Lieutenant and company were both accused, as mutineers; the Lieutenant proving he knew nothing of it, and that the soldiers had done it without his knowledge, he was assoiled and made free by the sentence of the council of war: But the company were ordained, being divided in three corporalships, that out of every corporalship one should be hanged, who were to draw billets out of a hat, which were all blanks, till one had the gallows on it.

The order and sentence of the Council of war being duly obeyed, three were led aside, and committed to prison, to be resolved against the execution, and the rest were remitted to their quarters, of the three ordained to be executed, it was concluded again, by the intercession of the officers made to the governor, that one might suffer, who again being two Scots and a Dane, having drawn lots, it fell to the Dane to be hanged, the governor himself being a Dane also, he could not of his credit frustrate justice, seeing before he was so earnest to see our nation punished for a fault, whereof he was rather guilty himself, not having appointed them quarters as he ought, so that the Dane suffered justly for a Dane's fault.

The Captains of some companies being absent in Scotland, having gone for recruits, the duty being great, Lieutenant Saunders Hay was made captain to Annan his company, being informed the captain was to remain in Scotland: Ensign Gordon being made lieutenant to Sir Patrick Mac-Gey, being long sick in Lolland, and having a little recovered, on his journey to Stralsund, at Copenhagen in Denmark, died suddenly being a resolute brave young cavalier, and of good parts, was much lamented.

He being dead Ensign Gawin Allen was made lieutenant, and Patrick Dumbarre, a young gentleman, of worth and merit, was advanced to be ensign.

During our residence here, our orders were so strict, that neither officer, nor soldier was suffered to come off his watch, neither to dine or sup, but their meat was carried unto them, to their post. The enemy approaching hard, and we working fast, for our own safeties, where sometimes, we sallied out, and did visit the enemy, in his trenches, but little to their contentment; till at last, the enemy did approach right under our work, where sometimes, being so near, we begun to jeer one another, so that the Dutch one morning taunting us, said, they did hear, there was a ship come from Denmark to us, laden with tobacco and pipes, one of our soldiers showing them over the work, a morgenstern, made of a large stock banded with iron like the shaft of a halbert, with a round globe at the end with cross iron spikes, saith, here is one of the tobacco pipes, wherewith we will beat out your brains, when ye intend to storm us.

We did also nightly take some prisoners of them, sometimes stealing off their sentries, which made many alarms in the night, and in the day time. Here a man might soon learn to exercise his arms, and put his courage in practise: and to give our Lieutenant Colonel his due, he had good orders, and he did keep both officers and soldiers under good discipline, and he knew well how to make others understand themselves, from the highest to the lowest.

The sixteenth Observation.

When cannons are roaring, and bullets flying, he that would have honour must not fear dying: many rose here in the morning, went not to bed at night, and many supped here at night, sought no breakfast in the morning: many a burgher in this city, coming forth in his holy-days-clothes, to take the air, went never home again, till he was carried quick or dead, where some had their heads separated from their bodies, by the cannon; as happened to one lieutenant and thirteen soldiers, that had their fourteen heads shot from them by one cannon bullet at once: who doubts of this, he may go and see the relics of their brains to this day, sticking on the walls, under the Port of Frankendore in Stralsund.

It is said, that valour is then best tempered, when it can turn out of stern fortitude, unto the mild streams of pity: who could behold these accidents, and not be moved with pity and compassion? and who will not weep at the casual miseries our calling is subject unto, in following oft-times the leading of an ambitious general, yea and of an ambitious captain, yea the following of an ambitious soldier, delighting sometimes to tread over his enemies, as happened many times unto us during this siege?

Who then is more compassionate, in peace or war, then the martial man? Observe generally, and you shall find, that the most famous men have both courage and compassion; of which in this city we had need; of courage against our enemies, and of compassion to our friends, comrades, and sometimes to our enemies.

You see here we were made to keep double watch, as wise men ought to do: for when we kept steady watches, the enemy could not harm us much, being wary of ourselves, and he that can do this, he surely merits the name of a good soldier, but oft-times, we are our own worst enemies, and killing ourselves we need no other enemy against us. Therefore at such a siege as this was, sobriety and temperance were requisite to a soldier, as well as valour to defend him from his enemies.

Here our enemies were our pedagogues teaching us virtue, every moment minding us of our duty to God and man: yea minding us both of death, and of judgement: here we needed no dead mans paw before us, to mind us of death, when death itself never went night or day with his horror from our eyes, sparing none, making no difference of persons, or quality, but aequo pede, treading alike on all came in his way, whose hour was come.

Here I wish not the gentle reader to mistake this insurrection of Monro his company for a mutiny. It was not; neither against their officers, nor yet in prejudice of their masters' service. Therefore I would rather term it, a rude ignorance in seeking their due, though unformally, whereof their officers had no part, and therefore were made free by a council of wars, but the unthankfulness of the citizens (in sparing their means from feeding of those that kept them, their wives and children, from the furious rage of their enemies, at such time as they themselves did look for no safety, till they came for to relieve them) cannot be well excused, but their unthankfulness was so much the greater, that they erred against the very laws of hospitality, being in their unthankfulness far inferior to beasts. For we read, that the Athenians did bring those guilty of unthankfulness before the justice, to be punished, and that justly; because he that forgets a benefit received, without making any satisfaction, doth take away human society, without which the world could not subsist: and therefore such citizens, as would not acknowledge the good received, ought to be banished the city, as unthankful, for a man evil in particular, cannot be a good member of the public, as many villanous traitors were in this town of Stralsund during the siege, that for their particulars would have sold the town, and the common good to their enemies; such fellows some of them were made slaves, being not worthy the name of free citizens: and the canon law makes the ungrateful the most detestable of all men; And therefore they were cruelly punished.

To make then the ingratitude of the citizens of Stralsund towards soldiers the more odious, I will infer the stories of beasts here to accuse them; Elian writes of a dragon mindful of the good done to him (as these rogues were not) in these terms, in his thirteenth book. In Achaia there was a town called Petra, where a young boy did buy a dragon very little, feeding it diligently, making of it, playing with it, and making it lie in his bed, till it became great, and a dragon in effect: those of the place fearing some evil by it, did cause it to be carried unto a desert: the boy becoming a man also, and certain years after, returning from a feast, with some of his comrades, they met with robbers, and crying out for help, there comes the dragon running on the robbers, killing some, putting the rest to flight, saves the life of him that had done him good. A memorable acknowledgment to convince those of Stralsund.

We may join to this story, the memory of the lion healed by Androcles the Roman slave, whose life afterwards the lion saved. The story is written by Gellius and Elian, and also now set out in verse by Dubartas, in the sixth day of the first week.

Here also we may see the profit and benefit good order doth bring unto the observers of it: though we thought hard, not to be suffered to come off our posts for our ordinary recreation, nor yet to sleep from our posts, we found at last the benefit redounded unto ourselves: for while as the enemy pursued us hard, we were at hand to defend ourselves, and to maintain our credits; otherwise, it had become of us, as it became in the Swedens wars in Germany of Magdeburg on the Elbe, and of Frankfurt on the Oder, being both lost through negligence and careless watch, which made much innocent blood to have been shed in both. And therefore I cannot but praise the worth of my Lieutenant Colonel, for his good order and strict discipline kept in Holke his absence, being in Denmark at his wedding, we being then in greatest danger of our enemies.

The seventeenth Duty discharged of the storming of our Post, and of our loss and the enemies'.

The twenty sixth of June 1628, the Duke of Friedland Wallenstein General to the Imperial army, having come to visit the beleaguering, and finding Field Marshal Arnehem had lain six weeks, and not gotten it in, the general being offended, at his coming he did recognosce the whole town, and finding our post to be the weakest part thereof, by reason of the situation and of the insufficiency of the works, the wall not exceeding the height of a man, he resolved to pursue it by storm, swearing out of a passion he would take it in, in three nights, though it were hanging with iron chains, betwixt the earth and the heavens. But forgetting to take God on his side, he was disappointed by him, who disposeth of all things at his pleasure, being the supreme watch-man himself, that neither slumbers nor sleeps.

We having then gotten intelligence of Wallenstein his coming, we looked the better unto ourselves, and having in the evening or twilight set out our perdues, we strengthened all our posts, and we placed our by-watch in the ravelin, to be in readiness, as also I commanded four score musketeers, under the command of Captain Hay, to sit by their arms and to be in readiness, to supply all defects might happen by a timely succours, as they should be commanded; likewise I caused to double all sentries, and so sitting down to rest us, we were passing the time by discourse, betwixt ten and eleven o'clock at night, when as our sentry gives fire and calls us to our arms: at our rising we find the enemy approaching above a thousand strong, with a shout, Sa, Sa, Sa, Sa, Sa, Sa, thus it went on cheerfully, and every man to his station. The worst was, we had without a half moon unfinished, where Ensign Johnston was with fifty musketeers, that were forced to retire underground one after another at a sorting port, where some were lost before their entry: they being entered, then begun our soldiers to make service, and I give charge to quarter Mr. Bruntfield, a valorous gentleman, with a guard to keep the enemy from entering at the sorting port: thus the service being hot on all quarters, especially Mac-Kenyee's quarter, being next the enemy, was hardest pressed, where I having visited him, did send him fifty musketeers of supply, and then I did visit Lieutenant Beaton his post, whom I found both careful and vigilant in resisting the enemies' entry valiantly, with his associates, who were two capable Segeants called Embrey and Simpson, who were both killed this night.

Then I did visit the Dutch quarters, being betwixt me and the ravelin, which I thought to be in least danger. The cavalier their Captain being a Beamish gentleman, both stout and diligent, the most part of his soldiers, the Dutch having left him, he was much over-pressed with the enemies, them also I was forced to supply with fifty musketeers of our nation, under the command of Captain Hay, otherwise the enemy had fallen in betwixt us and the ravelin. But this valorous gentleman the Beamish Captain being killed; Captain Hay by his valour maintained the post, till the fury of the enemy begun a little to settle. In this time, for one hour and a half, the service being hot, sundry were killed of us, but three for one of the enemy, which finding himself resisted with valour, being relieved by a fresh supply of another thousand men, set on more furiously than before, where sundry of our officers were shot, as Lieutenant Beaton, Ensign Dumbarre, Lieutenant Arburthnot, quarter Mr. Bruntfield, & myself; divers others were killed, as Sergeant Mac-Kenyee, Sergeant Young, Monsieur Gordon, Monsieur Stewart, Monsieur Tullough, all gentlemen of my Colonel's company, with divers more, and Captain Mac-Kenyee was also shot favourably athwart the belly, and I being wearied and grown stiff with my wounds, being helped off, did meet a fresh relief coming to us, led by Lieutenant Andrew Stewart, a valorous gentleman, and of good conduct, brother to the noble Earl of Traquaire: I did exhort them en passant, to carry themselves well, they answered me cheerfully, as became resolute soldiers, who were desirous to vindicate their comrades' blood against their enemies: the relief being come, the service went on afresh on both sides, the enemy storming again with the third relief, which continued so long, till a number of our officers more were killed and hurt, as Lieutenant Stewart, Ensign Seaton, Ensign Ennis, Captain Armes, Andrew Monro, and divers more were hurt. During this time, our Lieutenant Colonel was busied within the town, in commanding the reliefs, and in sending orders to the other posts to look unto themselves, who would not miss one man to succour or help us in our greatest need. Notwithstanding, that the whole force of the enemies' was employed against us alone.

The second relief that came to our post, was led by Colonel Frettz, newly come to town, with some Swedens, who, though not admitted to command, out of his generosity, being accompanied with his Lieutenant Colonel Mac-Dougall, and his Major, called Semple, with fourscore musketeers, voluntarily did come to succour and help our nation; who at his first coming, received death's wounds, whereof he died shortly after. His Lieutenant Colonel also was taken prisoner, and was missing for six months, we not knowing whether he was dead or alive. The Major also was killed instantly at his first coming to service; so that the last time, and on the last storm, by the break of day the enemy was once entered our works, and was beat back again with great loss, with swords and pikes and butts of muskets, so that the day clearing the enemy was forced to retire, having lost above a thousand men, and we near two hundred, besides those who were hurt. He that was on this night's service from the beginning to the ending, being in action, might avouch he did escape danger. The enemy forsaking our works unconquered, the graff filled with their dead bodies, equal to the banks, the works ruined in the daytime could not be repaired, which caused the next night's watch to be the more dangerous.

The seventeenth Observation.

The Emperor Alexander Severus had reason to say, that military discipline did conserve and maintain the estate: And so might the magnanimous King of Denmark say of this service, and the town of Stralsund, the citizens of it, before this time being sluggish, dissolute, cowards, spend-thrifts and voluptuous, are now by this discipline made active, menagers, valiant, sparing and honest: the thanks whereof they owe unto our nation, whose bones lie in their ground, and to our countryman, who since hath been their governor, for the reward of his virtue, was appointed by his Majesty of Sweden, of worthy memory, and set to command over them and their city. And it is most sure, that the observance of good discipline is the maintaining of kingdoms, cities, and commonwealths, making them to flourish; where discipline is well kept, as it was here during our beleaguering, for then we had no thought of gathering of money, but of gaining of credit; here were no novices, but expert soldiers to resist both the craft and valour of their enemies, who did feel the smart of their valourous resistance, in heaping their dead bodies one upon another in the graff.

During the time of this hot conflict, none that was whole went off at the coming of the relief, but continued in the fight assisting their comrades, so long as their strength served, ever esteeming more of their credit than of their safety, through the desire they had to be revenged of the loss sustained by their comrades. On the other part, it was reported of Wallenstein, that he was so eager to get in the town, that his officers retiring off service being hurt, he caused to shoot them dead, calling them cowards for retiring with so small hurt. Here also I purpose to speak somewhat of the Imperialists' custom, entering on service, shouting like Turks, as if crying would terrify resolute soldiers: No truly; we were more encouraged, having long expected for their coming, being all of us well resolved for the combat, we were greedy of honour, and therefore we longed to try our enemies' valour: Seeing we were more overjoyed of their coming, than any wise terrified; and we received them with volleys of cannon and musket in their teeth, which fair and well come was hard of digestion unto some of them: and it might be well said of them, as the proverb is amongst the Bactrians, that the dogs did bark more than they did bite, especially the fleet curs; for true courage consists not in words, neither ought we to look for much courage, where we hear many boisterous words. But on the contrary, true valour doth consist in the greatness of courage, and in the strength of the valiant arm, and not in the tongue: and the first people, that did practise this loud crying of martial resolution, and of rejoicing in battle, were the Israelites, who in the most part of their fighting used those cries, as testimonies of their faith, and of their earnest calling for the help of the Almighty. And a Lord of Africa being to fight against the Portugals, his troops ready to fight, he said unto them, they should not cry but strike hard, for saith he, those men whom you see, are not accustomed to be afraid with words nor voice; for it is not in cries, but in valour, that men should establish the hope of victory. Nevertheless, we read in histories, that the Romans, and other warlike nations, were wont in battles, as to this day in approaches, even as in fields, to cry aloud: and therefore we say among ourselves at home, that he is to be pitied, that is surprised with the cry of his enemies. We read also of the savages, whom the French do call Tokniambous, that before they come within half a mile, they cry like devils at the first sight of their enemies, redoubling their cries coming near hand, sounding their horns, lifting their arms here and there in a boasting manner, fighting so long as they are able to move hand or foot, never giving ground or turning back till they die.

Tacitus reports, that the Germans of old, did sing going to fight: and we read of Cato the Censor, that he taught young men to fight standing in one place, and he used to say often, that words were more powerful to terrify, and to chase an enemy, than the strokes of the hand. And the same Cato said, he loved not the soldier that did shake his hands marching, that staggered with his feet in fighting, & snorted louder in sleeping, than he did cry coming to fight. And Caesar said, that in every man was seen a certain moving and natural readiness and promptitude, that kindled them with a desire to fight: which generals and commanders of army's ought diligently to entertain, and not extinguish. Wherefore it was, that the ancients before they fought, caused to sound their trumpets, beat their drums, and made their soldiers cry hard, esteeming that did encourage their troops, and affright their enemies. The Macedons also began their fighting with crying and shouting; and Curtius reports, that as soon as the armies saw one another within shot of musket, the Persians began to cry furiously, and the Macedons, though fewer in number, did so answer them, that the tops of the mountains and woods resounded again to the echo of their cries. The like we read in our own story, where the author in his ninth book makes mention of Henry Percy Earl of Northumberland, and Regent of England at the East, being come unawares into Scotland with seven thousand men, was driven away by the boors and herds, by the help of stone-bags, as they are called to this day in our Highlands of Scotland, being used by the inhabitants to fright wolves, and to chase deer and other beasts from their grazings: the instrument is made of dry skins made round like a globe, with small stones in it that make a noise, as they did near the English camp, that their horses broke loose through the fields, where after long flying they were taken by the boors of the country. If then we should cry at all, let it be such a noise as may terrify our enemies, being strong, courageous, and brave.

Plutarch reports, that the cry of soldiers made a raven flying in the air to fall down being astonished: and Titus Livius saith, that when the multitude of people did embark, that few or none were left in Italy and Sicily, coming together, and crying, the birds astonished fell out of the air: and Paulus Aemilius reports the like, that when the Christians besieged Tyre, a pigeon was seen in the air, which made the Christians raise such a noise, that the pigeon fell down, as if it had been stricken with thunder, and that they found a letter about the neck of the pigeon, that the Saracens had sent to the besieged, showing they should be soon relieved, if they would take good courage, and maintain the town for certain days: and the Christians having men with them, who understood the same language, did write another letter, which they tied to the neck of the said pigeon, and let him go; which letter carried, that the besieged had need to look to themselves, that they had given good proof of their valour and fidelity, and that their fortune was, not to give them hope of relief; the passages being closed up by their enemies, and the Tyrians thus deceived, give over the town unto the Christians.

The like we read practiced at the siege of Haarlem, which made the town hold out long: and it is certain, such posts are made fall down with the noise of crying, and of cannon and musket, so that their packets are taken from them. Here also was wonderful, the loss and damage done by cannon, especially the mortars of the enemy, carrying bullets of stone within the town of three hundred pound weight, and some that carried bullets of one hundred and sixty pound, and in one day there were shot on the port of Frankendore, where we went out to our watch, above seven hundred and sixty shot of cannon, the noise whereof was heard above thirty English miles. Also we read, that at the battle of Lepanto, in the year 1572, where the Turks were defeated with great loss, that the noise of the cannon was heard from the place, above sixty Scottish miles. But on the sea they are heard a great deal farther, as having neither hill nor wood to hinder the sound in the air.

Here also I did observe, how happy it is when officers and soldiers love one another, refusing to undertake no danger to supply their comrades, their lives being dearer unto them than their own: which was evident by the timely relief, which discouraged the enemy, and made them at last perceiving their own loss to be great, having effectuated little, in the end to settle. To speak in particular of any man's valour, at this time, seeing to my knowledge, I perceived no defect neither in officer nor soldier; but so far as to my grief, I did speak of the Dutch that left their captain, which since I confess to be a warlike nation, being now long hardened by the custom of wars, but on desperate service, as this was, I would wish, if I had liberty to choose, other seconds: neither can I commend those Dutch that would not send us relief in our great danger; for though we ought to look to our own houses, when our neighbours are on fire, yet Christian compassion ought to move us to supply the defects of our brethren; but when soldiers and officers prefer their case, with whole skins, to the safety of their comrades in danger, then such may be justly called simple, without moderation, abandoning their comrades, they lose their good name, and bring their reputation and valour in question. Who will not then blame such, and who will not praise those, that in extremity, contemned life and their ease, to relieve their comrades: as Colonel Fretts his Lieutenant Colonel and Major did, fighting against our enemies? Him then I esteem as a valiant soldier, that fights against the enemy, embracing wounds for his mistress, and that is contented to lie on the ground, being weary, and that makes no difference of food to serve his appetite, without sauce; being contented with a nod for a sleep; to such a soldier nothing is impossible or hard to attempt; and such soldiers to command were my choice, that cared not for gold nor money, but for credit: and soldiers have most fear when they are best fed, best clad, best armed, and when their purses are best furnished; but when the soldier glorieth in his poverty, then doth the army flourish, then do they overthrow their enemies. And therefore it was the saying of Demetrius to Xerxes King of Persia, going to make war in Greece, that Greece did ever entertain poverty, and lodged virtue brought in by wisdom and severe discipline: by which means their dominion remaineth unconquered, so long as they were enemies to vice, and were glad in their poverty, as may be well spoken of our own nation at home, that hath suffered and done so much and more for our freedoms, than any kingdom in Europe, which this day makes our sovereign to say, Nobis haec invicta miserunt centum & septem proavi, being left unconquered in his succession of one hundred and seven kings: for what have we to do with gold or great riches, so long as we can command our own appetites and desires? And if we thirst after gold, let us valiantly bring it from a far with credit, to enrich our country with, and to supply the necessities of our poor at home; and then having served long credibly abroad, his Majesty our sovereign may grant unto us after our dismission from other service, the liberties and privileges which were granted by Charlemagne unto his soldiers, after he had subdued the Saxons and Lombards, which I will wish his Majesty to grant unto us, saying, Go your ways my soldiers, you shall be called valiant, companions of kings, and judges of the wicked, live henceforth free of travail, give good advice to princes for the common weal, be protectors of widows, helps to the fatherless, wait on great men, with your wisdom, and desire of them life, clothes, and entertainment, and he that refuseth you, let him be detested and infamous, and those that wrong you, let them be accused, as of treason. But take heed ye spoil not through drunkenness, pleasure, or other vices, the great honour and privilege you have attained unto, through your just travail in wars, for fear, that, that which we grant unto you for honour, may not redound to your dishonour and punishment; which we reserve to ourselves, and to our successors Roman kings, if by chance you commit any excess. It is a good thing and worth commendations, to have defeated kings, assaulted towns and provinces, strengths and castles. But it is a thing much more worth commendations, to overcome your own passions, a marvel surpassing all marvels, that he who did overcome so many, at last overcomes himself. The first and best of all victories, which cannot be attained unto without contemning of riches.

To conclude then this observation, happy are those cavaliers that ended their lives in the defence of their country's credit, a brave interchange, where worthy cavaliers, in undergoing a temporal death for eternal fame and glory, gain life after death. Miserable is the brevity, and more miserable the uncertainty of life. Since then, we are sure we cannot live long, and uncertain if we live at all, being like leaves on trees, we are the sport of every puff that bloweth, and with the least gust, may be shaken from our life and nutriment: we travail, we study, we fight, that labour may pay us the loss of our ill expended time, while death whiske about us with a Pegasean speed, flies unawares upon us, and with the kick of his heel, or the dash of his foot, we are driven down to dust, and lie there. Many a stout fellow this night at Stralsund, and five weeks before, did expire in their oppugnations, leaving their breath in the places where they laid their siege. Certainly, if we could think of life's casualties, we would neither be careless nor covetous. What avails then a man, to exhaust his very vitals, for the hoarding up of fatal gold, not thinking how a hair or a fly may snatch him in a moment from it? Why should we then strain ourselves for more than is convenient? We should never care too much for that we are not sure to keep; yet we should respect somewhat more than for our own time, that we may be beneficiall to posterity; but for mine own part, I will cast this, as my life on God's providence, and live here as a pilgrim of one night, not being sure to see the morrow.

The eighteenth Duty discharged of the second night's storm at Stralsund and of the success thereof.

The Lieutenant Colonel having visited me the next day at my lodging, being not able to stir out of my bed, he declared unto me the loss sustained by the regiment, both of officers and soldiers, and he suspecting the enemy would storm again at night, being battering the walls furiously the whole day, having shot at Frankendore near eight hundred shot, he desired to hear my opinion, how I would have the post beset at night with the regiment; my advice was, to cause beat a bank by the Drummer Major, and the whole drummers of the regiment athwart the city, commanding upon pain of death, that all officers, and soldiers able to carry arms under the regiment should repair at parade time, to the market-place, there to receive further orders, and that at their coming, to appoint all the officers, that were not hurt, to command the whole soldiers, to be all put under the Colonel's company, till such time, as the recruits should come from Scotland, and then every man should be suffered to serve again under their own companies, as before, and this order being followed, they would be well commanded having sufficient officers to lead them, giving them orders how to behave themselves, in case the enemy should storm their works, seeing they were not able to defend them long, being weak of forces, and the works almost ruined the night before.

This determined, the watch being drawn up, they march to the former post, getting orders from the Lieutenant Colonel, if the enemy should press them hard, they should retire themselves orderly to the ravelin, and quit the outer works, seeing that from the town wall, and ravelin, they were able with cannon and musket to cleanse out the enemy again.

So entering on their watch, and the night being come on, the enemy furiously did invade them, and they defended the works a long time, till in the end being pressed hard, they retired according to their orders, to the ravelin, whereupon the enemy followed them with a shout and a cry, as if the town had been won, which did put the burghers, and the rest of the soldiers that were on other posts, in great fear, thinking all was past recovery.

Notwithstanding of this sudden fear, our soldiers valiantly and bravely defended the ravelin with pikes and fireworks, the enemy having advanced bravely to the cutting of the palisades, pressing also to undermine the ravelin by working under it, which our folks did hinder, by countermining.

The enemy also, had another fortell, or advantage by reason of a new work, which was uncomplete, betwixt the ravelin and the outward works, where he did lodge himself, having the new works as a breastwork, to defend him from our shot.

The night thus passed furiously on both sides, not without great loss, being well fought, both of the pursuer and defender, in the morning our soldiers some of them being armed with corslets, head-pieces, with half pikes, morgensterns and swords, being led with resolute officers they fall out, pell-mell amongst the enemies, and chase them quite out of the works again, and retiring with credit, maintained still the triangle or ravelin; The enemy considering his loss, and how little he had gained, the town also being not void of fear, thinking the third night, the enemy might enter the walls, being thus doubtful on both sides, the enemy sends a trumpeter, to know if they will treat for conditions, our Lieutenant Colonel having the command, for the time (in Colonel Holke his absence) I think was glad of the offer, to prolong time, till his Majesty of Denmark might send a fresh supply. Pledges delivered hinc inde, a stillstand or cessation of arms was concluded on by both parties, for a fortnight's time, then articles were drawn up, to be advised on, which continued in advising certain days, in the end the treaty being almost agreed on, to the subscription, orders come to our Lieutenant Colonel to dissolve the treaty, seeing his Majesty of Denmark had folk in readiness to come in all haste with Colonel Holke, for their relief. Whereupon my Lord Spynie, a Scots nobleman, with his regiment, with sufficient provision of money and ammunition, were sent unto the town, and being entered, the treaty was rejected, and made void.

At this time also Sir Alexander Lesly, (an expert and a valorous Scots commander) with some Swedens forces, was sent to govern the town, his Majesty of Sweden having condescended with his Majesty of Denmark, that his Majesty of Denmark should dismiss the protection of Stralsund in favour of his Majesty of Sweden, and to that effect the Danes forces should be drawn out of the garrison, for to give place to the Swedens; in the mean time, the command was turned over upon Sir Alexander Lesly, whom Colonel Holke did assist with the Danes' forces, till they were removed, the absolute command being given to Sir Alexander Lesly, as governor for his Majesty of Sweden.

In time of the stillstand, I took a furlough under my Lieutenant Colonel his hand, & seal, to go by sea to Copenhagen, to be cured there, seeing no chirurgian in Stralsund would undertake to cut the bullet out of my knee, without hazarding me to be lame, which to prevent, I choosed rather, though with infinite pain, to keep the bullet a fortnight, till I came to Copenhagen, where happily I found better cure.

The eighteenth Observation.

Two things we must respect, so long as we live, our inward integrity, and our outward uprightness, our piety towards God, and our reputation amongst men, the one makes our life famous, the other our death happy, so both together bring credit to the name, and felicity to the soul, Then whensoever our breath is made but air, we shall be blessed, leaving a sweet odour behind us, and men will regrate our loss, as at this time they did our hurt.

He whom before I was wont to obey and visit, came now, and visited me, I not being able to stir, my Lieutenant Colonel came to comfort me, having need to be comforted himself by good advice, how to defend the works the second night, a general fear having possessed the hearts both of burghers and soldiers, and I, to encourage him, did tell him a story of Augustus the Emperor, who being near death commanded, that after his decease, all his friends should clap their hands, and laugh unfeignedly, as the custom was when a comedy was well acted: even so said I, though I was sorry at our loss; yet I was glad for being hurt, when I looked to be killed, and having acted my part of the play, for that time, and retired off the stage, all I could do was but to mind my comrades of their duties. In the mean time, the enemies' cannon having shot four great bullets of a hundred and sixty pound weight, out of mortars, through the top of my lodging even to the bottom, where I did lie, affrighting me still, when my feet were not able to shift away my body; yet recommending my soul to God, I resolved, he was well guarded, whom the Lord had a care of, and having delivered me from many dangers, I still confided he would not suffer me to be smothered under walls: For which and all his blessings I do infinitely thank his Majesty, in giving me time to do anything, that may please his Majesty, for my deliverance.

To make my Lieutenant Colonel laugh, I did tell him a story of a vision, that was seen by a soldier of the Colonel's company, that morning before the enemy did storm, being a predictive dream, and a true. One Murdo Mac-claude borne in Assens, a soldier of a tall stature, and valiant courage, being sleeping on his watch, awakened by the break of day, and jogs two of his comrades lying by him, who did find much fault with him for stirring of them, he replied, before long you shall be otherwise stirred, a soldier called Allen Tough a Lochaber-man, recommending his soul to God, asked him what he had seen, who answered him, you shall never see your country again, the other replied, the loss was but small if the rest of the company were well, he answered no, for there was great hurt and death of many very near, the other asked again, whom had he seen more, that would die besides him, sundry of his comrades he told by name, that should be killed: the other asked what would become of himself, he answered, he would be killed with the rest: in effect, he describeth the whole officers by their clothes that should be hurt: a pretty quick boy near by asked him, what would become of the Major, meaning me, he answered, he would be shot, but not deadly, and that the boy should be next unto me, when I were hurt, as he was.

This discourse ended, I wished my Lieutenant Colonel to set all care aside and to look to himself, and to the credit of his nation, in maintaining of the place, till the relief should come, and so we parted.

Here I did observe, that no city, be it never so strong, or so well beset, nor no armour, be it of what proof it will, is able to encourage a fearful heart, as in this city, and at this time, were many of the burghers, soldiers, strangers, officers, of women and children, who were tormented by the fear of death, and of their means, whose fear was generally so great, that they were bereft both of wisdom, and courage, as people given over, so that their fear in some sort did frustrate their lawful defences: the like I did never see, neither wish to see again, for the enemy could not, though victorious, put them in a worse habit, nor make them seem more miserable, than I did see them at this time, making themselves unfit to resist their enemies, and they were all of them in mine eyes, like to the swordfish, having weapons, but they wanted hearts; they had quaking hands without use: and in a word, if the enemy had seen them, as I did, he would rather pity them as cowards, than kill them like gallants.

Notwithstanding of this fear, which possessed the burghers, and those soldiers that had not been on occasion, yet our nation, that are ever most courageous in greatest extremity, failed nothing of their wonted valour, but having once retired to the ravelin, maintained it courageously, repelling the enemies' valour, with resolution built on virtue, and love of credit, so that they made their enemy with great loss, to be frustrate of his hoped for victory, finding the valour of the Scots tempered with constant resolution and vigorous spirits, his fury was made to setle by little and little, till at last, resolution, the strong armour of the discreet soldier prevailed against all the shuffles and cries of the enemy, and the defender, seeing the storm passed, and the tempest cease, he laughes and smiles, with as much honour, quiet and safety, as before he suffered toil, grief, or injury.

Here we see the use of treaty, and stillstand (or truce) ordained of policy, that every man may press to win his own aims. The soldiers that in six weeks before, were wounding, and killing one another, are now coming and discoursing together as friends, where I did remark and observe, that it is much easier to be reconciled with an enemy, than to conquer him.

Now in time of these stillstands, by discourse they press to find out one another's actions, and to observe one another's faults and excursions, treasuring up against the day of advantage, for the confounding of one another, at their first out-falling, and like the crocodile, they slime one at other's way, to make one another fall, coming in occasions again: and therefore it was the answer that Seneca gave unto himself, when he asked Quid est homini inimicissimum? he answered, Alter homo. Our enemies' studies are the plots of our ruin, leaving nothing unattempted, which may induce our damage, and the danger is ever most, when we see it not. Yet I think, he that can be a worthy enemy, can, reconciled, be a worthy friend; and he that, in a just cause, can fight against us, can likewise in the like cause, being reconciled, fight with us, and if he be unworthy reconcile him too, if it were but to be freed of his scandalous tongue, and that also will be worth thy labour, and he that upon good terms refuseth reconcilement, may be stubborn, but not valiant nor wise: for he that wilfully continues an enemy, teacheth his enemy to do him a mischief if he can: and that endeavour is well spent, that unmasks an enemy, or makes a friend: for as the one begets a treasure; the other, it may be, raiseth a siege; and that man is wise, that is kind to his friends and sharp to his enemies: but he is wiser, that can entertain his friends in love, and make his enemies like them, as our nation did here at Stralsund, in keeping their master's love to the best, for their loyalty, and in making their enemies think well of them, and love them for their brave carriage and valour.

Likewise I did observe here the benefit that ariseth to a kingdom, city or state through a good government; and what a blessing it was to a town perplexed, as this was, to get a good, wise, virtuous and valiant governor, in time of their greatest trouble, which shows that we are governed by a power above us: for oft-times, that, which we desire or fear, doth seldom happen. This city having feared the Emperor's tyranny to come over them, desired the King of Denmark as their protector, yet God, by his providence, gave them another, to wit, the invincible King of Sweden, who provided them an able governor in their greatest need, to wit, Sir Alexander Lesly, who immediately after his entry took the command upon him, keeping both the Dane, their soldiers, and the burghers under his command, and direction, as worthy of his authority, flowing from the King his master of most famous and of never dying memory, it faring then with Stralsund, as with Sara; she became fruitful when she could not believe it, and they became flourishing having gotten a Scots governor to protect them, whom they looked not for, which was a good omen unto them, to get a governor of the nation, that was never conquered, which made them the only town in Germany free, as yet, from the Imperial yoke, by the valour of our nation, that defended their city in their greatest danger.

To conclude then, for the love I bear to the crown, that doth protect them, knowing their dispositions by experience to be froward, factious, and proud, having as yet some wolves amongst them, that the fold may be quiet, let the factious heads be made higher by a pole than their bodies, cutting off the tumultuous; whereby their governor, by a majestic awe, may keep the rest in a strict subjection; lest slackness and connivance may undermine an unsettled Government; for it is no cruelty to deny false men liberty, that are so infected, though there be some honest men amongst them; let them serve their governor, and let him bear the sway, as becomes the dignity of the place, that having once won the field, he may be sure to keep it: for though I hate the evil people, for their former unthankfulness to our soldiers and nation, yet the love I bear to their protector and governor, makes me thus plain; whose happiness I wish to endure while there remaineth a stone in the city, and his fame eternally.

The nineteenth Duty discharged of the out-fall made by Spynie's regiment, and of their Retreat made good by Captain Mac-Kenyee.

The treaty dissolved, the new supply being come out of Denmark, Sir Alexander Leslie being made governor, he resolved for the credit of his countrymen, to make an out-fall upon the enemy, and desirous to confer the credit on his own nation alone, being his first essay in that city. And therefore made choice of Spynie's regiment, being their first service, to make the out-fall, ordaining Captain Mac-Kenyee, with the remainder of our regiment, in the Lieutenant Colonel his absence, to second them, for making good of their retreat.

My Lord Spynie being present with his regiment, consisting of brave and valourous officers, being all worthy cavaliers of noble descent, and of good families, having action, valour, and breeding answerable to their charges, they were desirous to gain honour and credit against a powerful enemy, with whom they were to be engaged; they went on with boldness and confident resolution, and falling into the enemies' works, they forced the enemy to retire, and to give ground, even to the body of their army: And delighting in the shedding of their enemies' blood, who had shed so much of their country's blood before, they pursued them hard, following them unto their main reserve or battle, where they seized on their cannon: but the enemy being too strong, and his forces still augmenting, they were made to retire with the loss of some brave cavaliers, especially the loss of Sir John Hume of Aiton, the first Captain of the regiment, who, after many bloody wounds received, was taken prisoner, being a brave resolute cavalier, of good carriage and moderation in all his actions, who after died of his wounds with the enemy, being a prisoner long, and was much lamented of all that knew him.

Here also was killed the valourous Captain Mac-Donald, who in valour succeeded his worthy predecessors; for with his own hands, as is credibly reported, he killed with his sword five of his enemies, before he was killed himself. Divers also of these officers were hurt, as Capt. Lundesey of Bainsho, who received three dangerous wounds, Lieutenant Pringle, who was hurt also, and divers more, they being made to retire, their powder being spent, to make their retreat good, falls up Captain Mac-Kenyee with the old Scottish blades of our regiment, to suppress the enemies' fury, they keeping faces to their enemies, while their comrades were retiring, the service went on afresh, where Lieutenant Seaton his company alone led by Lieutenant Lumsdell (in absence of their own officers, being then all under cure) there was lost of Seatons company above thirty valourous soldiers and the Lieutenant seeing Colonel Holke retiring, desired him to stay a little, and to see if the Scots could stand and fight or not. The Colonel perceiving him to jeer, shook his head, and went away: in the end Captain Mac-Kenyee retired softly from his enemy, keeping faces towards them with credit, till he was safe within works. And then made ready for his march towards Wolgast, to find his Majesty of Denmark.

The nineteenth Observation.

Here we see, that when his Majesty of Denmark did quit the protection of Stralsund unto his Majesty of Sweden, Sir Alexander Lesly being made governor, following the example of Justinian the Emperor, to put his authority in practice, he commanded out a party, and was obeyed by those he commanded: which should encourage all brave cavaliers to serve well and faithfully, where they serve, without spot or blemish, that in the end they may expect so great a reward, from so great a master, as we see here bestowed for valour and fidelity upon our countryman, being trusted with such a charge on a frontier garrison, though a stranger, before his Majesty's own countrymen; where he again following the example of Alexander the Great, who caused a combat to be fought with one of Darius' captains, before the army should fight, and his captain returning victorious, he (I say) took that as a good presage of his future fortune, in beating of Darius his army. Tacitus saith also, that the Germans were wont to fight, and try their valour, first after this manner, by parties, for presages of greater service to follow. And we find, that the valorous General Scanderbeg, King of Epirus, did fight many combats himself, for to give good presages of future victories, whose fortune was till his death to be ever victorious. The like fortune I heartily wish to this noble and worthy cavalier, happy already and blest in bringing honour to his country, being in all his time, beyond apprehension, happily excellent.

To conclude then this observation, here we may see the benefit of good order, where those that were in great danger, are happily preserved by the goodness of good order and discipline, and by the timely succours of their valourous comrades, taking the enemies' blows and shots in their own bosoms, to rescue their friends from danger, to the great praise of that noble spark, Captain Mac-Kenyee, being full of worth, as the purest oriental diamond, shining amongst the greatest stones, who did scorn to turn face from his enemies, but retired orderly, offending his enemy in defending his friends, till both he and they were returned with credit, though with loss: for where order is kept, as in this retreat was done by that noble spark, all things flourish and thrive, and I wish from my heart, he had followed his profession; for though he be honourable enough, as he is, none can blame me for wishing him better, he having once commanded me, and shall still while I live.

The twentieth Duty discharged of the regiment's March to Wolgast, and of their Retreat unto Denmark.

HIS Majesty of Denmark having given over the protection of Stralsund unto the King of Sweden, immediately after he did ship some forces of foot and horse in Denmark, which he did land at Wolgast in Pomerania, of intention to patronize the Dukedom of Pomerania against the Emperor: And being come to Wolgast, his Majesty did recall the remainder of our regiment from Stralsund, who were not then four hundred strong at their out-coming, having lost in six weeks near five hundred good men, besides officers; the regiment led then by Captain Mac-Kenyee, in the absence of his superiors, he continued his march towards Wolgast, where they joined with his Majesty's army: being no sooner arrived, they were instantly commanded on service. The enemy having fallen strong against his Majesty, he did plant fourteen pieces of ordnance, and played on the King's battle, till his Majesty perceiving the danger, not being bastant to resist the enemy, retired confusedly in great haste to Wolgast; and having lost without fighting the greatest part of his army, our regiment and the remnant of Spynie's regiment had been cut off, had not Rut-master Hoome and some of his comrades, of the Rhinegrave's regiment of horse charged the enemy thrice, keeping them up till the most part of his countrymen were retired in safety, and then were made by their enemies to retire at the spurs themselves, having endangered their own safeties for the good of their comrades. His Majesty finding the enemy pressing hard, fearing much to be surprised or taken, he did give Captain Mac-Kenyee charge to command the whole Scots that were there, and divers others; and to skirmish with the enemy before the ports, till his Majesty were retired, and then to make his retreat over the bridge, and to set it on fire, which the captain did orderly obey, doing his Majesty the best service was done him in the whole time of his wars, not without great danger of the captain and his followers, where the bridge once burning, he was then the happiest man that could first be shipped; Ensign Lindesey brother to Bainsho was shot with a cannon-bullet in his shoulder, and notwithstanding was brought off, and miraculously cured.

The regiment thus shipped, they met with their Colonel, being come from Scotland with the Recruit, who retired with his Majesty unto Denmark, and were mustered.

The twentieth Observation.

In defence of this town of Stralsund, our regiment did lose near five hundred men, and of the remnant escaped, both of officers and soldiers, I do not think one hundred were free of wounds received honourably, in defence of the good cause. Who will then say, but that blood was better lost than kept, when it returns with advantage, having brought credit to themselves and country? Let none then mourn for the loss gotten so honourably. Let none then, I say, bedew their eyes for them we left behind us, seeing the gain is equal to the loss, if not more; for them we had, we knew were not always to stay; yet what we have gained, is permanent and eternal; those we lost, I confess, we loved, yet that love ought not to be so violent as to undo ourselves with wanting of it. Neither can we so slenderly forget their memory, being our noble friends, and who were ornaments to our regiment and country, and helpers of our credits. Shall we not then be sorrowful for their loss, that lost themselves to make us renowned in their deaths, and, while they lived, were our most faithful and loving comrades, even unto their last breath? But since they are gone before us, to take in quarters in heaven, following their great captain, who hath made the way open for them, being stricken, as Job saith, by the hand of the Lord, and yet placed at his right hand, shall we be sorry for them? No; we will rather rejoice, and think we must follow them, when we have fought that good fight against our enemies, we shall be crowned with them in glory, and rejoice following the Lamb wherever he goeth, and till then his right hand will sustain us, as before; for he is our helper, and hath sworn by his right hand, and the arm of his strength, that he will not forsake us, till we rest with him in glory.

Here also we see, that his Majesty having trusted our nation more than his own, or the Dutch, he doth leave them engaged with the enemy, till his Majesty's retreat were made sure, both first and last. Where we see, that friendship and true service is best tried in extremity; for no greater testimony can be given of true service, than when the servant doth endanger his own life and honour for the relief of his master; as that young cavalier, Captain Mac-Kenyee did here, being a generous act, for the safety of a King, which ought to be recorded; to vindicate his honour from oblivion, whose memory merits to be rewarded, that others might imitate his noble example.

Here also we see, that sufferance in a noble manner causeth love, for that young cavalier Henry Lindesey, then an Ensign, not able to help himself, his comrades loving him dearly, and the more for his noble sufferance, they helped him off from the cruelty of his enemies, to preserve his life for a better occasion, who by God's providence was miraculously healed, having lost a great part of his shoulder, a wonder in an age, such wounds to be cured.

The twenty-one Duty discharged at Copenhagen, where the regiment was completed again with the Recruit.

As all things are preserved by a glorious order; so his Majesty after his retreat, beginneth again to make up the body of an army, to be settled all winter in quarters within Denmark, that against the spring he might either beat the enemy out of Holstein, or otherwise with his sword in his hand, make an honourable peace: after which resolution taken, there was order sent to my Colonel, to bring his regiment to the fields, and to reform the weak companies, that have no recruit brought over, and to strengthen the rest of the companies, till the regiment was made complete.

Sir Patrick Mac-Gey having stayed in Scotland, his company was cashiered, and Captain Annan's also, in place whereof the Colonel did get from his Majesty two companies, that were sent over by Colonel Sinclaire, (viz.) Captain George Stewart, and Captain Francis Trafford, which were both joined to the regiment. The Lord of Fowles having levied a company in Scotland, joined also to the regiment, & John Sinclaire was made captain lieutenant to the Colonel's company, Lieutenant Stewart being married, having stayed in Scotland with his wife, his place was given to Eye Mac-Key, and William Brumfield was made ensign to Captain Mac-Kenyee. The Lieutenant Colonel having quit the regiment, I succeeded to his place, and his lieutenant Andrew Stewart, the Earl of Traquair's brother, succeeded captain to the company, Ensign Seaton being made lieutenant, the captain's brother William Stewart was made ensign, Tullough his company was recruited, and was full by his old officers Beaton and Johnson: John Monro his company being recruited, long David Monro was made Lieutenant, and long William Stewart Ensign; Captain Monro of Obstell his company being complete, William Carre was made lieutenant, and Hector Monro ensign. The regiment thus complete was mustered, and received a month's means, together with a reckoning of their by-passed rests, with an assignation on his Majesty of Great Britain, for the payment of the moneys.

The regiment thus contented, the Colonel, Captain Monro of Obstell, and Captain Mac-Key returning for Britain, the regiment being left under my command, was directed to winter garrisons, as followeth.

The Colonel's company commanded by John Sinclaire as captain, John Ennis lieutenant, and William Mac-Kenyee ensign, were quartered in Langland, Captain Monro of Fowles his company was sent to lie in Fehmarn, Andrew Monro being his lieutenant, and John Rhode ensign.

Captain Monro of Obstell his company was quartered there also, and the foresaid officers.

Captain John Monro his company and his officers were also quartered there.

Captain Forbesse of Tullough his company and officers were quartered in Malline in Skåne. Captain Mac-Kenyee his company and officers foresaid, were quartered with me in Malline in Skåne. Captain George Stewart, Robert Hume Lieutenant, and John Sanders Ensign, were quartered in Alzenburgh.

Captain Francis Trafford his company, being Welsh, with his officers were quartered in a dorp in Skåne.

Captain Andrew Stewart his company and officers were quartered in Lund in Skåne.

My company which was Lermond's, with the officers did lie in garrison in Glückstadt in Holstein.

The officers that were reformed went to seek their employments (viz.) Captain Sanders Hay went to Sweden, and was made Major to Sir Patrick Ruthven in Prussia.

Patrick Dumbarre was made Captain to a company of Danes soldiers. There happened also a misfortune this winter in Fehmarn, where Lieutenant Andrew Monro, a valourous young gentleman, was killed in combat by a Dutch, called Ranso, and Lieutenant William Mac-Key succeeded in his place, being made lieutenant to Fowles when William Gunne was preferred by me, as ensign to the Colonel's company: the rest of the garrisons lay in quiet all Winter, during which time his Majesty's commissioners lay at Lubeck, treating for a peace with the Emperor.

The twenty-one Observation.

In the firmament we see all things are preserved by a glorious order; the sun hath his appointed circuit, the moon her constant change, and every planet and star their proper course and place, the Earth also hath her unstirred stations, the sea is confined in limits, and in his ebbing and flowing dances, as it were, after the influence and aspect of the moon, whereby it is kept from putrefaction, and by strugling with itself, from overflowing the land. So that in this world, order is the life of kingdoms, honours, arts: for by the excellency of it, all things flourish and thrive; and therefore we see, that this order is requisite to be observed in nothing more than in military discipline, being the life of it. Regiments then maintained in good order, the army can be but well ordered, and the army well ordered, the king and country cannot but stand, both in peace and war, for seldom we see any goodness in the refusing to obey good orders. And we hear ordinarily, that one bad voice puts twenty out of tune, and that it is the chief property of a good soldier, first to learn to obey well, in keeping of good order, and then doubtless, in time being advanced, he cannot but command well, so that here in ordering of this, as in all things, we see vicissitudes and alterations, some regiments made up and continue in florishing order, other regiments reduced taking an end, as occasion and accidents of war do happen, Spynie's regiment was reduced, and my Lord of Rhee's regiment is made up again. Where we see, that as vicissitude maintains the world; even so concord is a great means of continuance, as discord is too often of discontinuance, and ruin. Likewise we see, that no estate is free from mutability, and change, which is the great Lord of the world, who will be adored and followed as soon as order doth fail: but where order is kept, and concord (as in this regiment) change hath no place to ruin, though well to alter; for order was so kept by this regiment, like to brave soldiers, who in a running skirmish come up, discharge, fall off, fly, and yet reinforce themselves again, having kept order in their proceedings, which though now she admits of some change, being reinforced again and joined together with the chaine of love and respect, she admits of no confusion or ruin; but is ready again with her brave soldiers being reinforced in a strong body to make head unto their enemies, one day to be revenged of their former loss, as, God willing, shall be cleared in the sequel of my discharge of duties and observations, of this new reformed body of the old regiment.

My cousin Lieutenant Andrew Monro being killed in combat, I have more than reason to condemn and disallow of that miserable sort of fight, where oft-times the victorious puts himself in a worse case, both of soul and body, than he that is killed. Yet this kind of fighting hand to hand, called Monomachia, hath been much practised, both amongst Pagans and Christians, even amongst all nations, as it is yet. Of old it did serve for proof of things hidden, being in one rank with the burning iron, and scalding water, to the end men might discern the innocent from the guilty: this kind of violence of proof was so common, that Fronton King of Denmark made a law, as reports the Saxon history, that all differences whatsoever should be decided by the combat, and Leoden reports, that yet to this day they observe the same in Muscovy. But wise men finding this custom deceivable, in deciding the truth, and so uncertain, that many times the innocent doth succumb; and therefore it was forbidden by the civil, and canon law, as is evident by several ancient constitutions, inserted in the Decretals.

Notwithstanding whereof, amongst the Romans it became so common, as to be thought but a sport; which made the name of fighters esteemed of amongst the Romans, as we read in the Cod. Titulo de gladiatoribus, and therefore this custom being displeasing unto the Emperor Justinian, he commanded all should be subject unto the judge, and said, that valour without justice, was not to be allowed of. This combat betwixt those two was well fought of both, in presence of many witnesses; where it was thought, that the Dutch-man was hard, so that a sword could neither pierce him, nor cut him. This fashion of fighting is so common, that we need not illustrate it by examples of histories, either ancient or modern; but who so would satisfy their curiosity in this point, let them but read Preasack his Cleander, a story well worth the reading. And truly daily experience teacheth us (as in this accident) that the end of combats doth show often that he, who appeals, often times doth receive the reward of his temerity, which might be cleared by many examples, amongst the ancients. We have one very notable, written by Quintus Curtius, where Dioxippus the Athenian, that brave fighter being all naked, and smeared over with oil, as the fashion was then, with a hat of flowers on his head, carrying about his left arm a red sleeve, and in the right hand a great batton of hard green timber, durst enter in combat against Horrat Macedonian carrying on his left arm a buckler of brass, and a short pike in the right hand, a jeddart-staff as we term it, or something like it, and a sword by his side: at their approaching, Dioxippus with a nimble slight, and a pretty cunning shift of his body, eschewed the stab or thrust of the staff, and before the Macedonian could have wielded the Pike, the other doth break it in two with his cudgel, and quickly closing with his adversary gives him such a knock on the shins, that he fell to the ground, his heels above his head, took his sword from him, and would have killed him with his baton, had not the King saved him. Thus much of combats, which for my part, though I cannot allow of, nevertheless I should be loath to refuse to fight in a just quarrel, but would rather refer the success to God, to determine of, then to let that be called in question, which is dearest unto me.

The twenty-second Duty discharged being the last under his Majesty's service of Denmark, of our expedition by water unto Holstein.

His Majesty being resolved in April 1629, with his sword in his hand to conclude a settled and a sure peace with the Emperor; or otherwise to free Holstein and Jutland from the tyranny of the Imperial army, and to that effect his Majesty did gather his forces together to a head in Denmark, where they were to be shipped for landing at Angeln in Holstein: so that orders were given to me, his Majesty having provided shipping, to transport our regiment from all quarters, and to meet at Angeln. Before our parting, Captain Forbesse of Tullough, and Captain Andrew Stewart's companies were put on warships to lie before Wismar, I having shipped with the rest of the regiment, we sailed unto Holstein, and landed at Angeln: where the regiment being come together, we were one thousand four hundred strong besides officers, and having lain at Angeln till the peace was concluded, his Majesty did thank off, or dismiss his army, save a few number that was kept a month longer, till the enemy had marched out of the country: we being discharged of service, and having gotten our honourable passes we were directed, by his Majesty to the Rex-marshal toward Fyn, with orders from his Majesty, that he should reckon with us, and give us contentment accordingly. The reckoning made, we were forced to accept of two parts, and to discharge the whole, having made no reckoning but for us who were present, leaving our Colonel being absent, to make his own reckoning thereafter with his Majesty.

Likewise his Majesty did give orders to the Rex-marshal to provide shipping and victuall for our officers and soldiers, to transport them for their country, which accordingly was obeyed. As also his Majesty did give orders to ordain us, both officers and soldiers free quarters in Elsinore, till the ships were ready to sail. So that we being free from our honourable master his service, we were ready to imbrace new conditions from a new master.

The twenty-second and last Observation on our Danes' service.

Here concluding our Danes' service, we see that the end of wars is peace, and that the end of this peace was the beginning of greater war, under a new master. Happy therefore is that man, or that regiment that can say, while as they are thanked off, we have served truly and with credit our last master; and then they may be assured of a second master, having won a good name, as this regiment did, under his Majesty of Denmark, in whom the least omission could never be found, much less to have committed any gross error worthy imputation: And therefore we were graciously dismissed, and honestly rewarded according to the time.

Captain Andrew Stewart (brother to the noble and worthy Earl of Traquaire) being soliciting business at Copenhagen contracted a fever and died there, being in his comrades' absence honourably buried by the Stadt-holder's direction; whose death, as untimely, was much regrated by all his comrades, he being a valorous and expert Commander.

Likewise John Hampeseede, an old true servant to my cousin the Baron of Fowles, he dying of a fever at Angeln leaguer, was honourably buried there.

This Danes' war thus ended, was the beginning of a greater war, as is said: for the Emperor (in summer 1629, The Danes' peace being made in August 1629) did send assistance of men unto the Pole, against his Majesty of Sweden, under the command of the Field Marshal Arnhem, which the next summer did bring the sword of the Sweden against himself. So that we see there is nothing here on earth to be expected by us, more then a continual warfare. Lord therefore make us daily to war in that spiritual warfare, serving truly the King of Kings and Lord of hosts, fighting that good fight against our spiritual enemies, where he that overcomes, receives for a reward (instead of worldly glory) an immortal crown of glory in the Heavens.

The Colonel's Observation of the Kingdom of Denmark.

Having had the honour to have dined with his Majesty at his table, then in the gorgeous, & pleasant palace of Fredensborg, taking leave of his Majesty, having kissed his hand, I retired to Elsinore; where I began to think, that this king could have said of his whole kingdom, as Scipio said, you see not a man amongst all those, but if I command him, he will from a turret throw himself into the sea: even so this magnanimous king, to my knowledge, was of absolute authority in his kingdom, as all Christian kings ought to be in theirs ever obeyed in the Lord, without asking the head a reason; Why do you command us thus? For we read that the favour of the Lord was in Judah, in giving them one heart in doing, and obeying the commandments of the king, and of their magistrates and principals, as I did clearly observe in this Kingdom of Denmark the goodness of government, for the flourishing of the kingdom; where Totus orbis componebatur ad exemplum regis. He commanding, they obeyed; both lived in prosperity, the ruler or king heroic, wise, noble, magnanimous and worthy.

The gentry, citizens and communalty obedient, which made their joy and felicity to continue, in despite of their mighty foes, and that by reason of his Majesty's government in military discipline, who doth entertain a great number of officers yearly, having good allowance for commanding of soldiers trained up in peace, against war, such as colonels, lieutenant-colonels, majors, captains and other inferior officers, which are still entertained at the country's charge, in exercising of soldiers for his Majesty's employment, being alike ever ready in all provinces for peace or war. Would to God we were so well provided in our own country at home, and then we needed not to fear any foreign enemy, that are enemies to God, to our king, and to our religion.

And for the better maintaining of war, no kingdom or king I know, is better provided of a magazine, then this magnanimous king, for arms, brass ordnance (whereof every year his Majesty doth cast above a hundred pieces) being sufficiently provided of ammunition and of all sorts of fiery engines, to be used by sea or land, together with armour sufficient for to arm a great army of horse. His Majesty is also sufficiently well provided of shipping, and yearly doth add to the number, which ships are built by two worthy Scottish-men, called Mr. Balfoure, and Mr. Sinclaire, being both well accounted of by his Majesty, who in like manner hath a reprobane at Copenhagen, for making of cords and cables for his shipping and kingdom, where I was informed, that in twenty four hours time, they were able to furnish the greatest ship the King had, of cables and of all other tackling and cordage, necessary to set out the ship.

Likewise by his Majesty's artisans within the Kingdom, all sort of stuffs and silks are woven, sufficient to serve the Kingdom, and his neighbours that please to buy.

Moreover this Kingdom is worthy commendation, for the order of justice and laws, having their law-books deciding all controversies amongst them, and if it come to any great difference, the King's Majesty, as being above the law, sits in judgement as the interpreter and director of justice, and according to his princely dignity, mitigates as pleaseth his Majesty the law, and decides the controversy.

This kingdom also is praise-worthy, for the purity of their gentry, being as ancient and noble, as any other kingdom, and can brag of a purer and clearer blood of gentility, than many nations can: for they never ally or enter into marriage with any inferior to themselves, be they never so rich, if they be burghers or plebeians, they never marry with them; and if one of their daughters will, through love, miscarry in her affection, to marry a citizen, they will not thereafter do so much as to honour her with their company, but on the contrary, she loseth both her portion and honour, not suffering her to carry the arms of her family.

Moreover, this nation is praise-worthy for their entertaining of learning, and of the liberal sciences professed in their own universities, where their children are well taught and trained up, after a noble and heroic manner, within their own Kingdom, not only in their Studies of the liberal sciences, but also in their exercise of body, as fencing, dancing, singing, playing of instruments, and riding of horses, and what else are noble recreations, as learning of foreign languages, Spanish, Italian, French, Dutch, and such like, and afterwards their youth being well travelled, returning from their travels, they attend on the Chancellery, as under-secretaries to statesmen, to enable them to be profitable members in the commonweale. And being forisfamiliate, according to their gifts and qualities, they are preferred to government and charges under his Majesty, in all provinces of the Kingdom of Denmark, Jutland, Holstein, and Norway.

His Majesty also is praise-worthy, for his economy in keeping of storehouses to feed oxen, and stalls for keeping of milch cows, whereof is received yearly great income of moneys, for butter and cheese made in great quantity by Hollanders in Denmark, Holstein, and Jutland: which parts abound also with all sorts of fish, which enricheth his Majesty's treasure infinitely, together with their trading by sea to the fishing in Greenland, bringing great commodity to the subjects, in serving themselves, as also in bringing of money into the kingdom, by furnishing of others. Also this land abounds in corn, which makes great cheapness in this kingdom, where I have lived nobly entertained with two servants for twelve shillings sterling a week, being a whole winter in garrison at Malmö in Skåne. Where I did see and observe the custom used by the Danes' gentry in their house-keeping, wherein they are not prodigal, but yet very noble, not differing much from our own customs at home, entertaining many persons attendant, but not with costly or dainty fare, but abundant in meat and drink; obliging also they are in entertaining strangers of fashion; they keep long tables, at which there sit sometimes above thirty persons: ordinary tables they use besides, ordained for the attendants of the family, who sit not till their masters have half dined or supped: they keep also many horses, hounds and hawks, with attendance answerable, which makes their families great.

Here I did observe, that the subjects do follow the example of their king, in their apparel, in their virtues, and economy, where I did see virtue to have been alike habitual in king, gentry, citizens, and country, being all in their degrees extraordinary rich, not only in money, but also in jewels and plate; nothing inferior, in my judgement, to any neighbour country. It was observed in the court of the Emperor Maximilian the second, a good prince and a virtuous, that many lords and great seigneurs not only clad themselves according to the colour he wore, but also had the same vessels and movables: the greatest ladies also followed the Empress; so that those kinds of clothing that before were disdained and out of request, were then followed, all being clad with skins and leather. The Emperor and the Empress not disdaining to carry and wear them, the rest followed: the pearls and precious stones did rise to the great price, that they are now at by the rich, that made the price so high, that the poor could not attain unto them. To show this by example, we read of Sabina Poppaea, to whom nothing was wanting, but shame and honesty, being extremely beloved of Nero, had the colour of her hair yellow, like amber, which Nero esteemed much of, in singing verses made on her on the cithern: and from this came that the whole damsels of Rome and Italy did like best to have that colour of hair in their buskins, bracelets and clothing, and the amber, which before was in no esteem, became very dear, seeing Nero esteemed of it; which makes Pliny report, speaking of the comedians' apparel, that they carried so much amber, that it was admirable to behold; which shows, that the examples of great personages have great power, in matters of moment and consequence, as it hath in things of less importance.

For as Villeius Paterculus spake of the Emperor Augustus, a good prince teacheth his subjects to do well, and as he is the greatest in estate, even so he is the greatest in example, the people casting their eyes on their prince, sitting high, in sight of all, they delight narrowly to consider all he doth and saith, and they look unto the most hidden things of his actions, as through little holes: and therefore before all places, the king's court ought to be holiest, and clearest of all vices, and endued with most honesty, which betimes will make the whole kingdom conform. To confirm this, we read in our own story a memorable example; how the King Josina took pleasure and delight to discourse much with physicians and chirurgians; in a short time the lords and gentry did accommodate themselves to the prince's humour, that many ages after, there was no noble family in Scotland, that was not expert and well taught in dressing and healing the wounds of the body. A knowledge very necessary for men of our profession, that oft-times are lost for want of good cure. And we read, that King JAMES the Fourth, following the laudable custom of his ancestors, was very expert in this kind, in healing of wounds. A noble knowledge of so noble a prince, and so great a captain, as he was! And the common proverb is, that the little pretty dogs or puppies do anything to please their mistresses; and we say, he smells of the pot he hath licked. Here then you see the power of good and bad examples.

To conclude then. Let us learn by the good examples aforesaid, to follow the virtuous examples of our noble master and King, not neglecting the service and duty we owe to the King of Kings, since our lives here are but like bubbles of the water, now seen, now vanisht.

THE LIST OF THE SCOTTISH OFFICERS IN CHIEF (CALLED the officers of the Field) that served his Majesty of Sweden, Anno, 1632.

The Marquess of Hamilton General of the British army.

Sir James Spence General over Scots.

Sir Patrike Ruthven, governor of Ulm, and since General.

Sir Alexander Lesly governor over the cities along the Baltic Coast, and since Field-marshal over the army in Westphalia.

General Major James King, since Lieutenant General.

Sir David Drummond General Major and governor of Stettin in Pomerania.

Sir James Ramsey General Major had a regiment of Scots, and since was governor of Hanau.

Colonels that served then of Scots.

My Lord of Rhees Mackey Colonel to a brigade of Scots.

Sir John Hepburne Colonel succeeded to command the Scottish brigade, and since was slain in France.

Sir John Ruthven Colonel to a brigade of Dutch, and since General Major.

Sir James Lumsdell Colonel to a regiment of Scots.

Alexander Ramsey Colonel and governor of Kreuznach.

Robert Lesly Colonel to a regiment of Scots.

Robert Monro Baron of Fowles Colonel of horse and foot over Dutch, and since died of his wounds at Ulm.

John Monro of Obstell Colonel to a regiment of Scots, and since slain on the Rhine in the Wetterau.

Lodovick Lesly Colonel to a regiment of Scots, which was Sir John Hamilton's.

Robert Monro Colonel to a regiment of Scots, which was my Lord of Rhees'.

James Carre Colonel to a regiment of Scots, and since General Major.

Sir Fredrick Hamilton Colonel to a regiment of Scots and Irish.

The master of Forbesse Colonel to a regiment of Scots.

Alexander Hamilton Colonel to a regiment of Scots.

The Earl of Crawford Lindesey Colonel to a foot regiment of Dutch, and since slain.

William Baily Colonel to a regiment of foot of Dutch.

Sir James Hamilton Colonel to a foot regiment of Scots.

John Forbesse Colonel to a foot regiment of Dutch, slain in France.

Hugh Hamilton Colonel to a foot regiment of Dutch.

Sir William Ballentine Colonel to a foot regiment of English.

Sir James Ramsey Colonel to a foot regiment of English, and since died at London.

Alaxander Forbesse called Finness Forbesse Colonel to a regiment of Finns.

Walter Leckey Colonel to foot.

The English Colonels served then.

Colonel Austin Colonel to an English regiment served in Germany.

Sir John Cassells Colonel to a foot regiment of English, which was levied by Sir Thomas Conway; who was cast away on the coast of Denmark with his Lieutenant Colonel George Stewart.

Sir George Fleetwood Colonel to a foot regiment of English that served at this time in Prussia.

Scots Colonels that served at this time in Sweden, Leefland and Prussia.

James Seaton Colonel to foot of Swedes.

Colonel Kinninmond Colonel to foot of Swedes, since dead.

Colonel Thomson Colonel to foot of Swedes, since dead.

Colonel Scot Cloonell to foot of Finns, since dead.

William Cunningham: Colonel to foot of Scots, in Prussia.

Francis Ruthven Colonel to foot of Dutch, in Prussia.

Sir John Meldrum Colonel in Prussia to foot.

Lieutenant Colonels who served then, whereof since some have been advanced.

Thomas Hume of Carolside Lieutenant Colonel of horse; since a Colonel in France.

Lieutenant Colonel Dowglas since a Colonel of horse in Germany under the Swede.

Henry Muschamp Lieutenant Colonel, since was a Colonel and was slain at Nördlingen.

Alexander Lesly Lieutenant Colonel, since a Colonel to foot.

Alexander Cunninghame Lieutenant Colonel, since a Colonel to foot.

Lieutenant Colonel Vavazer, since a Colonel to foot.

William Gunne Lieutenant Colonel, since a Colonel to foot of Dutch.

John Lesly Lieutenant Colonel, since Colonel to foot of Scots.

Lieutenant Colonel Finness Forbesse, since a Colonel.

Alexander Forbesse called the Bald, Lieutenant Colonel, since a Colonel.

Robert Stewart Lieutenant Colonel, since a Colonel.

Hector Monro Lieutenant Colonel, since a Colonel, and being made Knight Baronet died at Hamburg, and was buried at Buxtehude in the Altes Land of the Elbe.

Sir George Dowglas Lieutenant Colonel, since ambassador for his Majesty of Great Britain, in Prussia, died in Germany, and was transported and buried in Scotland.

George Lesly Lieutenant Colonel, since Colonel.

John Lindesey of Bainshow Lieutenant Colonel, since slain at Newbrandenburg.

Lieutenant Colonel Monypenny, Lieutenant Colonel to horse.

Alexander Lindesey Lieutenant Colonel, since slain in Bavaria.

John Sinclaire Lieutenant Colonel, was slain at Neumarkt.

William Stewart Lieutenant Colonel, succeeded to Sinclaire.

Henry Lindesey Lieutenant Colonel to Lesly the younger.

William Lindesey Lieutenant Colonel to horse.

James Henderson Lieutenant Colonel to foot.

Sir Arthur Forbesse Lieutenant Colonel to foot, was slain in combat near Hamburg.

Robert Weere Lieutenant Colonel, since slain in Saxony.

John Lyell Lieutenant Colonel to foot.

James Dickson Lieutenant Colonel, since slain in the Pfalz.

Sandelens Lieutenant Colonel, since slain in the Pfalz.

William Borthwick Lieutenant Colonel to foot.

Macdowgall Lieutenant Colonel, since slain in Schwabenland.

James Hepburne Lieutenant Colonel, since slain in France.

Robert Hannan Lieutenant Colonel to foot, died in Alsace.

John Monro Lieutenant Colonel to foot.

Robert Lumsdell Lieutenant Colonel to foot.

William Herring Lieutenant Colonel to foot.

Sir James Cunninghame Lieutenant Colonel to foot.

William Spence Lieutenant Colonel to foot.

John Ennis Lieutenant Colonel to foot.

Poytaghee Forbesse Lieutenant Colonel to foot.

John Forbesse of Tullough Lieutenant Colonel, was slain at Nördlingen.

George Forbesse Lieutenant Colonel to foot.

Alexander Hay Lieutenant Colonel of dragoniers.

David Lesly Lieutenant Colonel to horse.

James Drummond Lieutenant Colonel to horse.

Kinninmond the elder Lieutenant Colonel to foot.

Kinninmond the younger Lieutenant Colonel to foot.

Francis Sinclaire Lieutenant Colonel to foot.

Gordon Lieutenant Colonel, since a Colonel to foot of Dutch under the Crown of Sweden.

John Henderson Lieutenant Colonel, since a Colonel under the Emperor.

William Troop Lieutenant Colonel slain in the Pfalz.

Potley Lieutenant Colonel to foot, under Sir George Fleetwood.

Arthur Mon-gorge Lieutenant Colonel to foot.

James Montgomery Lieutenant Colonel slain in combat.

Scots Majors.

Major Ruthven slain at Nördlingen.

Major Mill.

Major Cunninghame.

Major John Forbesse.

Major David King, slain at Nördlingen.

Major Bodwell slain at Würzburg.

Major Mackenyee, since General adjutant under the Field-marshal Lesly.

Major Sidserfe slain at Nördlingen.

Major David Monro.

Major William Falconer.

Major Francis Sinclaire

Major William Keith.

Major Sanderson.

Major William Bruntfield died of his wounds at Buxtehude in the Altes Land.

Diverse Captains and inferior officers of the nation followed the army being in charge, whom I omit out of this List.

Table of Time spent and Distances Travelled.

Tuesday the tenth of October 1626 from Cromarty in Scotland to Glueckstadt on the Elbe by Sea: Days 5: 300 Dutch Miles

We wintered in Holstein in good quarters: Months 6:

From Glueckstadt on the Elbe we marched to the Weser stream above Bremen: Days 4: 12 Dutch Miles

On the Weser stream we remained: Weeks 10:

The tenth of July 1627 we marched from the Weser to Buxtehude: Days 3: 12 Dutch Miles

From the Altes Land we crossed the Elbe at Blakenese and continued our Expedition to Boizenburg on the Elbe in Mecklenburg: Days 3: 10 Dutch Miles

At Boizenburg we rested: 5 Days:

From Boizenburg to Ruppin in the Mark of Brandenburg we marched: Days 6: 18 Dutch Miles

At Ruppin we rested: 8 days:

From Ruppin we retired to the Isle of Poel on the Baltic Coast having marched: Days 6: 28 Dutch Miles

At Poel leaguer we rested: Weeks 5:

From Poel by water to Heiligenhafen : Days 2: 40 Dutch Miles

From Heiligenhafen we marched to Oldenburg: Day 1: 3 Dutch Miles

At Oldenburg we were: Days 3:

From Oldenburg we retired in a night: Days 1: 3 Dutch Miles

From Heiligenhafenmon the Coast of Holstein to Flensburg by water: Days 2: 40 Dutch Miles

From Flensburg to Assens in Denmark by water: Days 5: 50 Dutch Miles

Having arrived in Fyn in Denmark we were quartered in Denmark till we went to Stralsund being: Months 8:

From Assens in Fyn we marched unto Lolland and crossed the Angelandsbaelt twice being on the March: Days 5: 14 Dutch Miles

Having arrived at Maribo in Lolland we quartered our companies in Maribo, Rodby and in Nykobing where we lay in good quarters: Months 4:

From Maribo we marched to Rodby: Days 1: 4 Dutch Miles

We lay three days and nights in extremity of cold weather in open boats before Rodby attending a fair wind and in the end were forced to land and march a back : Days 1: 4 Dutch Miles

The sixth of April we marched to Rodby again in one Day: Days 1: 4 Dutch Miles

From Rodby we sailed to Fehmarn and landed in a Day: Days 1: 16 Dutch Miles

From Fehmarn to Erkenfoerde by water alongst the Coast of Holstein in one Day : Days 1: 16 Dutch Miles

From Erkenfoerde again being shipped we sailed alongst the coast before Kiel in one Day: Days 1: 18 Dutch Miles

From Kiel we returned by water unto Grossenbrode in Holstein: Days 2: 34 Dutch Miles

At Grossenbrode in Holstein we lay weeks three where we did work and complete a royal leaguer and a fort within it: Weeks 3:

From Fehmarn to Rodby by water we sailed back unto Lolland : Days 1: 16 Dutch Miles

From Rodby to our quarters in Maribo and Nykobing where we lay in good quarters: Weeks 6: 4 Dutch Miles

From Lolland to Elsinore in Denmark we marched through Falster and Zealand: Days 4: 18 Dutch Miles

From Elsinore we sailed unto Stralsund in Pomerania: Days 2: 60 Dutch Miles

At Stralsund being beleaguered we lay seven weeks where we had great pains and sustained great loss: Weeks 7:

From Stralsund we marched unto Wolgast: Days 2: 6 Dutch Miles

At Wolgast we remained: Days 10:

From Wolgast we sailed to Copenhagen: Days 2: 60 Dutch Miles

At Copenhagen in Denmark the regiment was made complete again and we were quartered in good quarters during eight months without any hostile employment being treating for a peace: Months 8:

In April 22 we shipped at Malmoe in Scania in Denmark and sailed unto Holstein towards the Isle of Angeln: days 3: 60 Dutch Miles

We lay at Angeln in Holstein till the Peace was concluded in the latter end of May 1629 that we were thanked of or dismissed by his Majesty of Denmark and were shipped again from Holstein to Elsinore being by water: Days 3: 60 Dutch Miles

Summa: Miles by water and land travelled under his Majesty of Denmark in: Years 3: 898 Dutch Miles

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

202 1 8
*Note: Completed! Also, there are five chapters, but they're all hella long, so, things happen fam. If you like the synopsis, give it a shot. I promi...
9.4K 289 8
Princess of the Highlands Trilogy Book 2 ~~~ A CRY FOR VALOUR Five years since the last blood heir to the Scottish throne was imprisoned by Danish in...
225K 11.5K 103
"You're playing with fire Safania." "Good thing I don't burn." The last words he spoke before throwing me onto my bed sounded like a threat, but felt...
367 8 23
Shiro was found as a infant on a farm. when he grows up he wants to become a knight. But one day something disastrous happens and Shiro's future comp...