Ignis Fatuus [English]

By glendasogo

Keenan and Lucille are different, at least from every other people within a million hectare. The kind of diff... More

Prologue: Autumn Equinox Gala
Lucille: Female version of Keenan
Keenan: Anyone please swipe open my curtain and wake me up from this nightmare?

Keenan: I lost ten dollars, and it's not like I could care less!

14 1 0
By glendasogo

Yup. As it has been implicitly described in the title, that damn tall guy's into Lucy all right. And vice versa, damn it all. Since the gala, there's not a day that brat missed talking about him. Whether it's his knee-weakening smile, his sexy accent, or his stare that makes the world spins–yeah, Lucille said that literally, as if, as if, the world hasn't already spun to begin with!

Foolish. Being with him makes Lucille foolish. And what's with his name? Greyson–son of grey? A son that's grey? Anyway. I mean, it's not like my standard is high–though my own parents are exceptions. But, it's a given that us demigods are unusually, if not shallowly named. For instance: my cell's contact list is never far from god of sun's aliases from all over the world, 'sun' in different languages, or anything related to it: light, ray, summer, and so on. Sunny. And I know that this is also applied to our opposite lineage. How can I possibly miss it if my inner circle is no exception? Look, I know that moon is most likely grey-coloured. But, for the love of mother earth, what kind of parents named their son 'Greyson'?

Crazy. Obviously that guy was born into one crazy family. It's true that he has the perfect appearance, flawless nature, and British accent has always been undeniably sexy–yeah, he's a Greek growing up in Newcastle. But, I'm sure that there's some catch in it. There's something he hasn't told of, some secret he hasn't yet unveiled, some past that's–oh, I don't know–a little 'grey'... One thing for sure, no one, not even a demigod, could be that perfect. And that means, technically I can assume that Greyson is not a good idea.

The question is, how to knock some sense into a girl in love?

"...Keenan... Earth to Keenan!"

I fall down from my desk chair, Sunny's shriek still hurts my ear. Rubbing my earlobe, I start to get back to my surroundings. My room is the way it's always been–except for empty packs of chips and supermarket beer cans. And even though I've practically known Sunny from birth, I still have no idea how he alone can do this huge of a mess to my 3x3m room in three, five minutes tops.

Not that we're close. Like mine, his family is also one of god of sun's delegacies, so we're separated by millions of hectares seas and lands, and only have the chance to meet in Equinox Gala or special visits like his father does now. But, I don't know, we should have some special connection given that we have the same blood and all. And, normally, I could read him like an open book like he does to me right now: "Come on, you have to stop talking with yourself."

"I am not," I dismiss him hastily, not in the mood to hear the same teasing I got since Kimberly's controversial remark.

Sunny purses his lips. "I practically could see Lucille in your eyes."

"Okay, that sounds creepy," I say, still can't look this K-pop's most happening star in the eyes. Oh, don't start–being famous is entirely a choice, okay? No human could actually be immune to us demigods' charms. And, I don't know about singing or dancing, but sun race has unmistakable talent to entertain–more like 'manipulate' if you ask me, but it's futile to debate him.

"Help me to understand, K," Sunny stares at me like one of those poor laboratory rats. "I thought, what was in Gala is just you being cranky about socializing. But, you do have feelings to a moon race?"

"I don't!" I groan, annoyed. "It's just, Greyson–that guy–there's something wrong about him. I'm sure of it–I mean, who would be so fast to be into a girl? He even plans his move already in their first week texting!"

Sunny looks at me, puzzled. "Come on, K. You do know he's not from delegacy family–nothing's really holding him back, you know?"

I return his gaze. "But, to sail over seven seas for a girl you've known for a week–isn't that a little bit fishy?"

Sunny shrugs. "Let's be honest here; Lucille's an interesting girl."

I snarl. "Don't you dare–"

"Whoa, whoa!" Sunny raises both hands in front of him, making a surrender gesture. "Hey. I don't date moon race. The question is, do you?"

This little– "I said, I don't–"

"Because if you don't, it shouldn't be your problem who Lucille dates, right?"

I groan. On the contrary; that is the problem.

"It's not like it's her first time either. Really, what's the big deal, K?"

I open my mouth, but I can't find a word to say.

Sunny exhales deeply, then finishes his blow, "We'll talk later after you could be a little more honest with yourself."

*)

The next day, I wake up to Lucille's angry nagging from ground floor that's conducted–if not resonated–perfectly by our house atrium's vast structure. It's nothing new, really, until I realize it's been at least two months since our last day in middle school and hence our annoying waking-up-early ritual.

So, what's she doing here this early?

"Luce, is that you?" I mumble my answer behind the closing door.

"Get here immediately, sleepyhead!"

"Ngg."

"And you said it's me who makes you weary and sleepy all day!"

"..."

"See, it's been a week since we last saw each other and you've been doing the same. Looks like it's nothing about me–and just you being a slacker!"

"Ngg. Five more minutes–"

"Keenan Ashburton! Get your lazy a$$ here right now–drag, if you must!"

Uh-oh, seems serious if it's come to full name calling. Afraid to annoy her even more, I squirm a little to reach the curtain beside my bed and open it, let the sunlight fills me with energy–yup, I understand perfectly the sunlight's effect on me and still close my curtain tight every night: I need my precious sleep peaceful and undisturbed by overwhelming energy!

I mean, come on–I practically need half a minute to show up downstairs, looking all decent and fully awake. A little shower and cellphone hunting around the room already included. You just imagine how my eyes could possibly stay closed in such state.

"Morning, uh, and since when did we celebrate Halloween in broad daylight in, uh, June?" I nod at Lucille's costume–some silly uniform complete with a backpack. She sure went all-out, I think, eyeing her white socks and black shoes.

Lucille hits my arm. "It's our high school's uniform! Don't tell me you forgot it's our first day of school?"

Ugh, this soon? I only groan as an answer.

Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike school. Instead, I find the knowledge they thought us there pretty interesting. But, if it means I have to go back to interact with humans... Then ugh it is.

"Just change already," Lucille pushes me back to atrium. "You wouldn't want to make a bad first impression, right?"

I groans. "You're kidding me?" She knew full well I don't give a d4mn about how I look in front of that overwhelming race!

She giggles, and it's only then that it finally dawns on me how much I've missed that sound. Recently it's been her getting up late or us fighting all the time–about no other than that that freaking Greyson.

I'm hit by the sudden feeling of guilt.

"Okay, okay, I'll change. It'll only be a sec, wait me up, okay–"

"Actually, we were about to set off," a heavy British-accented voice interrupts.

I turn at the sound of a stranger inside my house. Though I've known who I was going to face before I even see him.

Standing protectively behind Lucille, wearing the same costu–I mean, uniform–as Lucille, plus jet black bomber jacket, is our topic of debate for weeks. Looking closely, it's not just his body that's too ideal for moon race's slender build, but his face also look godly, chiseled jaw and hair as dark as the night sky. But it's not what I'm concerned about–he's going to attend the same school as us?! Since when did he come anyway, it's annoying how he (and the rest of moon race) (minus Lucille) is so good at sneaking around.

"If you don't mind?" Okay, I must admit I'm impressed by his fluent Bahasa and also his sweet, sweet tone, despite the fact that he's glaring intensely at me with the intention that I can only interpret as an open challenge.

You know what? Challenge accepted.

"What's this, Luce? We've been together for years, and you'd just dump me because of some new friend?"

As expected, my words get to Lucille. "No! K, you misunderstand–"

"Then, you'd wait, right?"

Lucille takes a glance at her watch, then mumbles, "Well, if it is only a second–"

"Actually, Lucille, we'll really be late even if it'll only be a second longer." Greyson doesn't miss one beat to fire back.

I see anxiety grows in her eyes and curse silently. Unlike me, Lucille cares a lot about what humans think of her. Or us demigods, in general. Like any dedicated delegacy, she tries too hard to live up to our name–not that we're particularly famous. I'm pretty sure descendants of goddess of moon is unheard of. But, still, things that matter for Lucille, I won't let anything get in their way.

So, reluctantly, I say, "Go. I'll see you there."

Scored, I almost could hear Greyson says with his stare.

Lucille looks at me hopefully. "You'll come, right?"

I chuckles, found my opening. "Come here," I say, and while hugging her, I add, "This should be enough until afternoon. Don't roam outside too often, okay?"

We stay like that for a while until Greyson loudly clears his throat.

I take my time to let go of Lucille before finally facing him and open my arms wide, "Parting hug for you as well, mate?" Tough luck, boy, I reply through our exchanged stares.

Greyson turns around and leaves without answering, sulkily putting on his sunglasses, raising his collar, and opening his umbrella before getting out of the room and exposed directly to sunlight.

It feels so satisfying, at least until Lucille rushes to catch up with him and hastily corrects me, "Energy transfer, that was energy transfer!"

Just kill me already. No one's asking, dummy.

*)

I can't find Lucille and Greyson anywhere when I finally arrived at school. After some complicated procedures, getting warned and scolded, I'm at last free to join the others on some introduction stuff at the library. My mood has dropped severely since this morning, and all I want is to continue my once-interrupted sleep–though I need to find Lucille first and make sure she's alright–but I don't think my mood could get even worse until an arm is draped around me oh-so-casually.

"Finally, I found you!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

507K 1.2K 3
This book has been removed from Wattpad.