A Secret Service [NOW PUBLISH...

Bởi joymoment

Now available in paperback! "I LOVE IT!" - CarniaHolmes "I'm going to break your nose, because I don't like... Xem Thêm

Would you look at that cast?!
An author's note. 🙄 Wow, I'm so surprised.
Chapter 1 - "So enters wonder boy."
Chapter 2 - "You really have no boundaries, do you?"
Chapter 3 - "I'm going to break your nose, because I don't like your face."
Chapter 4 - "Owens, do you ever shut up?"
Chapter 5 - "This won't hurt you one bit."
Chapter 6 - "I convey a moody persona?"
Chapter 7 -"Try to keep up, old man."
Chapter 8 -"I never pegged either of you as the skittish type."
Chapter 9 -"You're kind of cute when you're flirting."
Chapter 10 - "Funny one, Carter."
Chapter 11 - "Why did you lie to me?"
Chapter 12 - "There's nothing to say for now, Carter."
Chapter 13 - "I can't ever lose him."
Chapter 14 - "How did you know?"
Chapter 15 - "Why I do favors for people is beyond me."
Chapter 16 - "I prefer a swift punch."
Chapter 17 - "You look nice, Sarge."
Chapter 18 -"Play nice."
Chapter 19 - "How can he be so clueless?"
Chapter 20 - "Get. The. Hell. Out."
Chapter 21 - "People fail you."
Chapter 22 - "You want to crash here on the couch?"
Chapter 23 -"She can't just show up and do this to us!"
Chapter 24 - "You don't have to talk to her."
Chapter 25 - "Were you waiting for us?"
Chapter 26 - "Don't assume you know everything."
Chapter 27 - "You don't have to say it."
Chapter 28 - "I didn't think I would see you again."
Chapter 29 - "You look hot."
Chapter 30 - "How badly did I screw up?"
Chapter 31 - "I said it was fine."
Chapter 32 - "I know it's not a date, it was a slip of the tongue."
Chapter 33 - "Look, I can't tell you."
Chapter 34 - "Do you ever regret it?"
Chapter 36 - "Does it look like I'm joking?"
Chapter 37 - "Donovan, just talk to me."
Chapter 38 - "Don't punch me if you lose."
Chapter 39 - "I do not want your pity or sympathy."
Chapter 40 - "Let's go find Link."
Chapter 41 - "Split up."
Chapter 42 - "Get out of my way."
Chapter 43 - "You ready?"
Chapter 44 - "Who am I speaking to?"
Chapter 45 - "You got my message."
Chapter 46 - "It doesn't mean it's okay."
Chapter 47 - "Then I can kiss you again."
Just one minute, that's all I ask of you.
Epilogue
NOW PUBLISHED!!
A Secret Service Special Surprise
Chapter 1 (Donovan's POV)
Special Scene Snippets
A Cross-Over Special
The secrets behind A Secret Service
Don't hate me! It's only a cover gallery.
Duck and cover gallery!
Take cover gallery!
The Story Continues!

Chapter 35 - "She knows, Jay."

385K 18.6K 6.5K
Bởi joymoment

Carter twisted in her bed to reach her phone. She winced at the light as she looked at the time. The room was still draped in darkness. The first rays of the sun had barely peaked over the horizon and were lost among the apartment buildings. She rubbed her eyes, pushing away the last of her sleep. With a yawn, she tossed aside the covers and set her feet on the cold, wood floor. The apartment was silent.

She waited. Waited for the telltale signs of her father moving about, preparing for the day. When nothing moved, nothing even breathed a sound, she stood and moved to her closet. She pulled out her workout clothes and quickly changed. As she did she kept her ear tuned to any hint of her father being awake.

By the time she was ready, the state of the apartment hadn't changed. Pulling her hair into a ponytail, she walked down the hallway to her father's door. She gave a quiet knock and then opened it. Her father sat on the side of the bed, leaning over his knees. He stared out the window. Crossing her arms, Carter leaned on the doorframe.

"Come on old man, we have a run ahead of us," she said.

Her father looked down at his clasped hands. "I'm going to skip the run today."

Carter waited for her nickname, but he never said it. She took a step into the room.

"What's wrong, Captain? You no longer have your sling, let's celebrate with a run."

She came around the bed and looked at him. He didn't stand up but he straightened and looked her. For a breath is seemed he would say the thing that had been building a wall between them. But the moment passed and he gave her a fading smile.

"Not today, Sarge." He stood. "You'll have to go without me."

As he walked past her, Carter felt like stopping him. Reaching for him and asking him what was going on. But she didn't say anything. She didn't move. He left the room, leaving Carter in a storm of questions. Suddenly feeling trapped by her own thoughts, she bolted from the apartment.

The metal staircase was slick with morning fog. All around her apartments lay quiet, their occupants still tucked into beds and in dreams. The air was cold but she wasn't aware of it. She clambered down the stairs and started running the minute she hit the pavement. The sky was still dark, although streaks of lights were beginning to make themselves seen. Streetlights were still on as she took to the sidewalk.

When her muscles had shaken off the last stiffness of sleep, she ran faster. Her footsteps pounded away on the pavement, her thoughts chasing after her. Her mind raced alongside her, things she couldn't make sense of the shadow behind her.

Mist hit her face and got stuck in her hair. Car lights flashes by, as their tires ran through shallow puddles. As she ran she forced everything out. She focused on the even rhythm of her breathing. The steady beat of her shoes on the pavement. The thump of her necklace as it bounced off her chest.

The world shifted around her. Faint sunlight began to burn away the mist. More cars took to the street. Apartment buildings shifted to store fronts. Then Georgetown itself drifted away as she moved towards the center of D.C. The streets were steadily busier the closer she got to the Mall.

Sweat had just begun to gather on her forehead as she crossed the street and headed towards the Lincoln memorial. It wasn't until she was doing a lap around the Reflecting Pool she became aware of her surroundings. Aware of the fact that it was the same route she always took with her father. The Mall was mainly empty, even the most avid tourist not up so early. The only people there were joggers and cyclists.

Her body was reaching the peak of its energy as she rounded the narrow pool. She came face to face with the empty Lincoln memorial steps, the towering white marble, columned building, and started sprinting. She raced down the stretch of water, beating away the fatigue she could feel coming on. She pelted towards two men running, giving them a short, 'on your left' signal before bolting past them. Reaching the stairs, she ran up them, taking the two at time. She pushed away the weariness in her muscles, relishing in the one thing she could control.

At the top she turned and headed back down, keeping her steps light and quick. Her focus remained on the white, clean steps, keeping her balance. At the bottom, she ran half the length of the pool before settling into a slow jog, her muscles aching at the extensive workout. She was towards the end of the reflecting pool when she heard something that made her come up short.

"Carter?"

She halted and turned around. The two men she had passed were actually Donovan and a guy that could only be his brother, James. At the sight of Donovan, she felt the tornado of thoughts she was keeping at bay, quiet down. Taking deep, even breaths, she put her hands on her hips and walked to meet them. Her heart still banged away inside her chest.

As they closed the distance, she saw Donovan's expression was impassive, though his brother wore an intrigued smile on his features. His brown eyes, set in a broader face than Donovan's, took her in. They stopped a foot from each other. The brothers' breathing was even. Carter wondered if they had just started. James stood a few inches taller than Donovan, his build wider and more muscular.

Before Donovan could even say anything, Carter held out her hand to James.

"You must be James," she said.

He took her hand and shook it, giving it a look, as if impressed with the strength that lay behind the slender fingers.

"I am," he said, his voice deeper than Donovan's, a sound like rolling thunder. "You're Carter?"

She gave a nod, her eyes flashing to Donovan before returning to James.

"Carter Owens," she said. "I go to school with Donovan."

She pointed to Donovan, who stood with his arms crossed and his face inscrutable. James nodded, his hands falling behind him as if out of habit. He smiled, softening the power of his stance.

"It's nice to meet you. It's a pleasure knowing anyone Donovan goes to school with," he said. He looked at Donovan. "We don't hear a lot about his day to day life, so it's good to know he is making..."

"She knows, Jay," Donovan said.

"Knows what?" James asked.

"About everything. Me. Link."

The comment took James by surprise. He glanced between Donovan and Carter, ending with staring at Donovan.

"Really?" he asked, not masking his shock.

Donovan gave a single nod. James looked back to Carter, who gave him a half, smug smile. James turned to Donovan but he raised his hand, stalling any words.

"It's a long story and I'll explain later."

Before James could push past the point, Carter talked.

"Donovan says you work with a security company," she said.

James refocused his attention on her. "I do. Recently promoted actually. He mention anything else?"

"Just that you were in town this weekend."

James glanced back at Donovan, who wore a neutral look, and chuckled.

"Well, that's my brother for you. He keeps things close to the vest, but expects to have everyone tell him everything." Donovan flexed his jaw but said nothing. Only Carter noticed as James was watching her. "I'm sure you already know this about him." 

Carter shot Donovan a quick smile. "I know a little something about that. I'm still trying to figure him out."

James laughed. Donovan shifted his shoulders, as if he wanted to voice his argument but said nothing.

"He gets better the longer you know him. But there are still times I have to beat information out of him."

Carter laughed, the sound unrestrained. "Thanks for letting me know."

She looked at Donovan, her eyes still bright with laughter. He met her gaze and she noticed the tension in his muscles. She took a step back, reading his resistance to the conversation.

"I'll let you get back to your run," she said.

James shifted forward. "Carter, we're going to breakfast after this. You want to come along. I would love to get to know at least one person Donovan talks to."

Her gaze flashed to Donovan and instantly knew what her answer should be.

"Thanks for the offer, but I'm going to have to pass. It was a pleasure meeting you, James."

He smiled. "Likewise."

She looked at Donovan. "See you later, Donovan."

"Carter."

A smile flickered on her face at his manner of goodbye. She gave a nod to both of them. Turning, she took off running again.

*******************

The sun was dominating the sky by the time Carter approached her street. Noise from the neighborhood could be heard. Envisioning ways to talk to her father, she jogged down the alleyway. She came to a dead stop outside her apartment building.

Her father's car was gone.

A hundred new questions came slamming into her mind as she stared at the empty spot. A dog howled from a window, breaking her from her daze. She crossed to the stairs and climbed them. A silent apartment was waiting for her as she opened the door. She leaned against it, shutting it and rested there.

Her gaze traveled over the living room and landed on the slip of paper on the coffee table. She quickly snatched it up, reading over her father's words.

"I had a meeting to go to. I'll be back before lunch."

Carter balled the paper in her fist and moved to her room. Through showering and dressing she ran over the question of what sort of meeting he would have. And why he hadn't mentioned it before. Question after question dive bombed her, until she grabbed her keys and left the apartment. Even in open space, her thoughts ricocheted around her head.

The growling of her stomach brought her back to reality and she made her way to the deli. In the early morning, the place was empty. The ding of the bell seemed to float through the space, never muffled by anything. Maggie appeared from the kitchen, carrying a large box. When she spotted Carter, she smiled but something seemed to dampen the look.

"Hey, hun," she said.

She set the box on a table and set about refilling napkin dispensers. Carter joined her at the table. Maggie glanced at her but quickly averted her gaze, using her current task as a means of an excuse.

"Steve not with you?" Maggie asked.

"No, he had a meeting. I thought I would come have breakfast here."

Maggie looked at her and put on another smile. "Of course, girly, what do you want?"

"Anything."

"Alright, stay here and I'll fix something up for you."

Maggie was gone before Carter could even thank her. As she waited, she went about filling the napkin dispensers, surrounded by empty tables and booths. Light cut through clouds and filled the deli, fading the colors of the place with its white light.

By the time Maggie returned, Carter had finished and was staring out the window. Maggie set down a plate of food before Carter. She looked over the full napkins and smiled, a true smile.

"Hun, you didn't have to do that," she said.

Carter pulled her gaze away from the windows and looked at Maggie. She shrugged, shifting towards her food.

"I figured I could help. Can you sit?"

Maggie looked at the kitchen, almost reluctant to agree. Something tightened in Carter's chest. Before she could find a way of leaving, Maggie sat.

"Of course I can," she said. She moved the box off the table and rested her arms on top. "How is school going?"

Carter took a bite of her food and shrugged.

"Fine. It seems like the deli has been busy this last week. I haven't really seen you."

Something flashed across Maggie's face but she covered it up before Carter could read it. It didn't matter though, Carter caught it. She set down her food and stared at Maggie.
"Is something going on between you and my father that neither of you want to tell me about?" she asked, her voice even.

Maggie's eyes went wide, with real surprise.

"No, hun. I told you where I stood on that point."

Carter raised her eyebrows. "So you're not sleeping with him?"

Maggie's spine straightened with shock.

"Carter! No!" Her expression flushed with embarrassment.

"But I saw you leaving the apartment the other day?" Carter said, her tone hinting at her confusion.

Maggie sank back in her chair, her face softening into a quiet smile. "Is that what all this is about?"

She leaned forward and rested a hand on Carter's arm. Carter shifted out of her hold, still staring at her.

"Hun, your father just needed a friend to talk to. That's all. Nothing else happened. You understand? Nothing else happened."

Carter picked at her food, still watching Maggie, studying her expression.

"Nothing happened?" Maggie nodded. "What did you talk about?"

Maggie shifted and cleared her throat, suddenly not as comfortable as she had been a second before. "Just some stuff."

Carter's hand stilled and she frowned.

"What are you not telling me?" she asked. Her eyes narrowed slightly. "Do you know what's going on with him?"

"Carter, your father is going through a lot of difficult situations with the divorce, his shoulder and adjusting to a different job. He could just need space."

"I know this. Why hasn't he just talked to me about this? Why is he shutting me out?"

"He's not shutting you out-"

"Yes, he is," Carter said, her voice filled with conviction. "I know Captain and I know when he isn't telling me something. I need to know why. Do you know what he isn't telling me?"

"Carter, it could be...a number of things-"

"Do you know what it is?"

Maggie faltered. "Whether I do or don't, it's your father's business to share with you or not."

Carter ran a hand over her face, letting out a huff of frustration.

"That's the problem. He's not telling me."

Maggie gave her a sympathetic smile, her shoulders relaxing. "Then he has a reason for it. You just have to trust him."

Carter gave a vague nod. She studied Maggie. "So you don't know what it is?"

There was a half a second pause before Maggie shook her head. "No."

The hesitation was not lost on Carter. Before she could even take a breath, Maggie stood and collected the napkin dispensers.

"I have to get back to work, hun. Thanks for the help." She pointed to the barely touched plate of food. "Finish up your breakfast."

She turned around and moved about the place, setting down the dispensers. Carter rose and walked out of the deli leaving her plate full of food behind. Maggie looked up at the sound of the bell. A flash of guilt crossed her face as she watched Carter leave.

The world was awake and fully alive as Carter walked back to the apartment. Her stomach no longer grumbled, inside a sour feeling had taken the place of hunger. She kicked the front door shut and walked to her room, not waiting for the echo of the door closing to die away. Her satchel lay on the floor, a reminder of the homework she had, but she ignored it.

Instead she grabbed her boxing gloves, tucking them under her arm. She hit play on her music and hoping the pulsing sound would cloud her thoughts. As the pounding bass filled her room she pulled on her gloves and assaulted the punching bag.

Maggie's words still hummed in her ears, the hesitation loudest of all. The image of her father's note drifted across her mind. Her father's distant tone. As each thought arose, she hit the bag harder. With every unanswered question she beat the taunt leather. The metal creaked but the sound was drowned out by the music.

She kept swinging away, battling the things she didn't know. Fighting the questions she had no answers to. Her movements became more forceful, her speed increasing. Sweat beaded on her forehead and ran down her temples. Every muscle in her hand and arms ached but she didn't stop. She couldn't stop.

The front door opened and only because she was waiting for it, did she hear it. She kept hitting the bag, listening as her father moved about the apartment. She waited, her punches lacking focus as she tracked where he went. She waited. Waited for her door to open and her father to walk in.

When she heard the sound of his bedroom door closing, she stopped. The bag continued to sway. She wrapped one hand round the chain and laid her head on the stiff material. Weariness evolved her. It was a feeling that had nothing to do with the ache in her arms.

**********************************************************************

Kit Kat ice cream!
(Yup! That's sounds magical!)

I know! I know! Not enough Donovan but don't worry the next chapter will make up for that! 😉

Well! We met Donovan's brother! What did you think of him?

Any idea why Donny boy was acting...strange?? 🤔

I don't know about you but something is most definitely going on with Maggie and with Carter father! But what the flying monkeys is it?!?

One goal you have for your life?

(Mine, is to never stop trying to accomplish my dreams)

I'm out of ideas for questions. Tell me something odd and I'll laugh! 😄

Oras ng Tanong! (Filipino) This question is from the lovely LampMan417 : Do you see your characters as partial reflections of yourself or are they pure fabrications of your imagination?

Answer: They are completely fabrications. Only character who even came close to being like me is Elliot but that's only because she's a writer and has some of my insecurities. Every other character is a fabrication. That doesn't mean I don't draw from my life experience to make things seem more real, but really these characters are 100% their own being.

❣️❤️QUESTION FOR YOU!!❤️❣️
Do you want a double update next week??

Pears, apples and bananas!
(Yeah, I couldn't think of anything and right now I'm looking at those items.)

*Tosses in a cute animal to distract you from my lack of ingenuity*

Đọc tiếp

Bạn Cũng Sẽ Thích

2.6M 70.7K 49
COMPLETED BUT EDITING ~~~~🌸~~~~ "Look who joined us boys. If it isn't the GG herself." I rolled my eyes and taped my hands as one of the annoying j...
432 55 54
"Ravyn, I don't even know if I'm into guys," Cal whispered harshly. "Torin isn't a guy, he's a man, and you're into him," the willowy girl insisted...
35.4K 1.9K 29
"In vain have I struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you." ...
307K 9.1K 61
"I wouldn't mind watching you. Maybe we could tan together this summer." He suggested. "Without having tan lines." I could feel the smirk playing on...