Becoming Beautiful (Wattys201...

By istolethecookiez

Kennedy (Kenna) isn't known for her beauty. She's never been complimented on her appearance unless being call... More

Becoming Beautiful
| Prologue |
| Chapter 1 |
| Chapter 2 |
| Chapter 3 |
| Chapter 4 |
| Chapter 5 |
| Chapter 6 |
| Chapter 7 |
| Chapter 8 |
| Chapter 9 |
| Chapter 10 |
| Chapter 11 |
| Chapter 12 |
| Chapter 13 |
| Chapter 14 |
| Chapter 15 |
| Chapter 16 |
| Chapter 18 |
| Chapter 19 |
| Chapter 20 |
| Chapter 21 |
| Chapter 22 |
| Chapter 23 |
| Chapter 24 |
| Chapter 25 |
| Chapter 26 |
| Chapter 27 |
| Chapter 28 |
| Chapter 29 |
| Chapter 30 |
| Chapter 31 |
| Chapter 32 |
| Epilogue |
| Noah's Perspective of Chapter 30 |

| Chapter 17 |

392K 12.6K 9K
By istolethecookiez

Chapter 17

I was up until eleven o’clock last night studying my own notes and Noah’s notes. I must admit, at some points, I got distracted because of Noah’s handwriting and the way his letters curled, but I managed to tune back in quick enough to realize that I have a test the following day. I got up at five o’clock in the  morning again in order to study a bit more after I shower. So that’s what I did.

I went downstairs and had cereal, seeing as my mother wasn’t awake to make me breakfast. When it was time to leave, I closed Noah’s notebook and stuffed it in my bag before leaving the house. I got into my car and drove to school, mumbling equations to myself. Most of the people were wearing shorts because of the good weather whereas I was dressed in jeans and a hoodie. I received a few odd looks but I didn’t care.

I entered the building and rather than going straight to the cafeteria like we’re supposed to, I walked towards the stairs. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Noah walking into the building. I turned and I guess Noah noticed me because he stopped walking and twisted in my direction. It’s hard to tell because he doesn't make eye contact. I started walking towards him as I glanced behind me, making sure he wasn’t looking at someone else.

“Hello,” I greeted. Marissa came running into the school, dressed in jean shorts that reached her knees and a bright pink top. I turned to look at her. “It isn’t Wednesday.”

She laughed, rolling her eyes. “I know.” She glanced between me and Noah before she realized that we were having a conversation, or starting one, and she pointed over her shoulder. “I’m going to go to the cafeteria.”

“Okay, I’ll see you at lunch,” I waved. I turned back to Noah, who was staring at his Supras. “Hello.”

“What?” he curtly responded.

“Thanks for letting me use your notebook to study. I have it in my bag, let me just grab—," he cut me off.

“Keep it; you need it more than I do,” he shrugged.

I slowly put my bag back over my shoulder. “I don’t know if I should be offended or not.”

He shook his head. “I’m just saying.”

I glanced at my phone to see that it was 6:55 AM and I have to be in the classroom by 7. “Well, I have to go.”

I turned to walk away but Noah stopped me by grabbing my arm. “Kennedy.” I turned around and he quickly let his hand fall to his side. “Uh, don’t fail that test. You studied hard.”

“What? No good luck?” I smirked and he rolled his eyes.

“Good luck,” he muttered.

What? No good luck kiss? “Thank you.”

He just nodded and I turned and walked towards the stairwell. As I jogged up the stairs, I sighed. I have to pass this test. Swinging open the door to the hallway, I noticed that no one else was upstairs; since today is career day, we’re allowed to travel from class to class to see several different speakers. There are no official classes today. It's the school's way of letting us relax before vacation, which thankfully starts tomorrow.

I sighed as I walked into the Algebra 2 room. Mr. Park was at his desk, shuffling through papers. When he saw me, he motioned towards a desk with a pencil and a test booklet on it. I exhaled slowly as I sat down, placing my bag beside me. “The sooner you finish this test, the quicker I can grade it and give you the score. I have to stop you at 8 o’clock but if you finish before that, I’ll grade it sooner. Good luck, Ms. West.”

I gave him a half smile before opening the test booklet.

<<>><<>> 

I stood beside Mr. Park’s desk, anxiously glancing over his desk as he checked off my answers. I noticed my other test sitting on his desk with a big, fat D+ on it. It was graded a 67. I winced when I saw it and averted my gaze to the test that he was now checking. I’m pretty sure I surpassed my previous score. I shifted from foot to foot, watching as he counted up the amount of questions I got right. Please let me get a B; please let me get a B; please let me get a B.

“Congratulations, Ms. West, you have an A-,” Mr. Park told me. I grinned widely as he put the grade into his online gradebook. I glanced at the time and noticed that it was 8 o’clock on the dot. Where are Noah and Marissa? I never asked them where they were going. “You can take the test home if you'd like.”

“Thank you,” I smiled as I lifted the test and exited the classroom. I ran down the hallway until I was on the second floor, where the career speakers were. I looked at each of the posters that displayed who was in which room.

A zookeeper. A librarian. An engineer. A writer.

I backed up a few steps and glanced into the room with the writer. Noah has to be in here. I glanced around and noticed a tall man talking excitedly to the group of students. I looked towards the back of the room and noticed Noah leaning against the wall, listening quietly. I slowly entered the room, squeezing between people as I approached Noah, who still didn’t notice me.

“Noah,” I hissed as I was about two feet away from him. He turned and glanced at me, his eyebrow raising as he had a blank look on his face. He realized it was me and he sighed, kicking off of the wall. “What do you want? What does it take to get rid of you?”

“Holy water and demon proof walls,” I muttered, earning a confused look from him. “Oh, wait, look!”

I held up my test and he glanced at it, nodding slowly as a smile brought the corners of his lips upward. “Nice job.”

I grinned as I brought the test back to my chest. “I know!”

People slowly started leaving the classroom as the man finished off his lecture and Noah and I unhurriedly followed. “Thanks for helping me.”

“Yeah, yeah, yeah,” he muttered.

“No, I mean it. I would have failed without your help.” I put my test in my bag.

“Probably,” he shrugged and I rolled my eyes, nudging him in the side. “What? I was just being honest.”

“Mean and honest are two different things,” I retorted. “Where’s your sister?”

He shrugged. “I don’t know. Do I look like her keeper?”

I took a moment to study him before I nodded. “Yeah.”

He scowled at me. “Why don’t you text her?”

I sighed. “I already did.” We took turns texting her, waiting for a response. We moved from speech to speech, listening as the people informed us about what they do, but also keeping a hand on our cell phones in hopes of reaching Marissa.

When it was time for lunch, we finally caught sight of her. She was casually walking back from the lunch line towards our usual table. “Marissa!”

She whipped around and saw me and Noah. “Oh, hey guys. What’s up?”

“What’s up? We’ve been trying to reach you for the past three hours!” I exclaimed.

“Oh, haha, about that…I was busy,” she smirked. “Now why don’t you guys get your lunch? We can all talk this out over nasty school food.”

I rolled my eyes but walked towards the lunch line, my eyes falling over the small selection. It was only cold sandwiches. After getting lunch, I returned towards the table. “Why didn’t you reply?”

She shrugged. “I didn’t really feel like it. I mean, you guys had fun, right?”

“If this is about your stupid idea that we should get to—,” I began but she cut me off by screeching across the cafeteria.

“Hey, Noah! Where are you going?” she called out. Noah slowly turned around, his eyebrows rising as he looked between the two of us. I just shrugged as I readjusted myself on the seat.

Before Noah could say anything, she quickly hopped up and dragged a chair from a neighboring table. She practically shoved Noah into the seat and he had an uncomfortable look on his face. “What do you want, Marissa?”

“I can’t have my best friend and my brother sitting at the same table?” she asked with a smile. My mind only caught half of that sentence. She thinks that I’m her best friend? I smiled back at her while Noah complained.

“Not if one of the two parties doesn’t want to be here,” he shook his head.

“Aww, stop complaining,” Marissa waved her hand.

“I’ve been with her all day,” he motioned towards me and I frowned. He didn’t bother to add a comment to make me feel better, instead he just groaned when Marissa shot him an annoyed look.

“No, it’s okay. He can leave,” I shrugged at Marissa.

“What? No! We are all sitting together,” Marissa snapped and Noah slowly lowered back down into his seat once he received the glare his sister shot him. He dropped the tray on the table dramatically, rolling his eyes.

“Fine, whatever,” he muttered.

We were silent as we sat there. “So how’d your test go, Kenna?”

I grinned. “Great, I got an A-.”

“Congratulations,” she smiled, high fiving me.

“Thanks to me,” Noah muttered.

“Whatever, Noah,” I rolled my eyes. “You helped me a little.”

“A little? I’m Plato; you’re Aristotle,” he rolled his eyes at me.  

“Wow, bringing Greek philosophy into this I see?” I scoffed.

“Shut up, I feel stupid. I have no clue what you’re talking about,” Marissa frowned.

Noah and I quieted down, allowing Marissa to explain where she was earlier today.

<<>><<>> 

“I hate you,” I muttered as I sat down in the living room of Marissa’s home.

“Why? You look cute! Those shorts are nice,” she smiled.

“Ew shut up, my legs look like…milk frozen in the shape of legs,” I stupidly noted.

“Well, put on some of this sun tan lotion and your legs will look like tan milk!” she grinned. “Now, I’ll be downstairs in, like, 30 minutes; I’m going to take a shower.”

I rolled my eyes. “Whatever.”

“Noah’s leaving for a run in a few minutes,” she smiled at me. “But he should be back soon.”

“How long does he usually run for?” I questioned.

“Usually twenty minutes,” she responded. “But then when he gets back, he’s showering and leaving. Oh, and your charger is on my bed.”

I nodded, rubbing the sun tan lotion on my legs. Marissa disappeared upstairs and Noah came jogging down them two minutes later. His headphones were around his neck as he bounded into the living room. He had a sleeveless shirt and I noticed that he was slightly muscular, not too muscular but not extremely skinny, either. All this time, I assumed he was skinny to the point where there was no muscle on his body. Well, I thought that he must have some leg strength if he runs every day. He had athletic shorts on and he was casually looking through his phone, possibly searching for a song to listen to.

When he caught sight of me, he tilted his head back and groaned loudly. “Do you ever leave?”

I shrugged. “Your sister invited me here.”

“Just great,” he muttered. “Well, I’m leaving. You might want to learn from this action right here.”

He slowly opened the door, motioning to it. He then stepped out of the house and pointed to the door again as he closed it. I rolled my eyes at him, standing up and walking upstairs. I left my charger here on Saturday; I have one at home, I just lose that one a lot so it’s better to have two. I entered Marissa’s room, grabbing the chord from her bed. As I exited her room, I glanced down the hallway. Noah’s door was cracked open.

Looking around, I slowly crept towards it. I heard Marissa singing in the bathroom as I passed the door. I bit my lip as I contemplated whether or not I should go into his room. It’s an invasion of his privacy. But I have a lot of questions and no one is going to answer them; Marissa can’t because they aren’t her secrets to tell, and Noah probably would rather dive out of a window than spill his life story to me. I put my hand on the door’s panels before slowly backing up. I can’t do this; I won’t do this. I quickly turned on my heel and jogged down the steps.

<<>><<>> 

“You got your charger, I see,” Marissa smiled as she greeted me on the couch. I nodded, glancing down at my lap. She sat down next to me, turning the volume up on the television. We watched together in silence until the door opened, revealing a sweaty Noah. I wrinkled my nose upon the sight but Marissa just turned back to the television after making sure it wasn’t a masked murderer in the doorway.

Noah jogged up the steps and I turned back towards the television with a shake of my head. I glanced at the time and sighed when I saw that it was only 2:45. Noah eventually came back down the steps at half past three, cleaned and dressed in jeans and a t-shirt. He had a hooded jacket in his arms and I noticed Marissa quirk an eyebrow. “You’re leaving now?”

Noah glanced at his phone and shook his head, walking over to the couch. He sat down on the arm of the couch. “15 minutes,” he nodded.

“Does she know you’re coming?” Marissa asked with a raised eyebrow. I tried to seem uninterested in the conversation; I set my eyes on the television, trying to keep them from flitting between the two people beside me.

“Yeah, I rescheduled with her,” he muttered halfheartedly. I saw his eyes flit to me and his nose twitched slightly. I wonder if he knows that I know about his therapy; he might be curious.

“Are you getting new medicine?” Marissa daringly asked. I wish I could sink into the couch, or slap Marissa. Either would work; he’s going to know something’s up if she keeps asking questions.

“I don’t know, maybe. I'll have to talk to the doctor about it at five,” Noah shrugged as he stood up. “I have to go.”

“What happened to 3:45?” Marissa asked, craning her neck to look at him as he shrugged on his jacket.

“What happened to minding your own business?” he muttered as he stepped out of the house, slamming the door behind him.

“He knows?” I asked her and she nodded, giving me a small frown.

“He knows.”

<<>><<>> 

We ended up watching a movie until the other girls arrived. Unfortunately, it was Marissa’s turn to pick a movie, seeing as the last time I was over, I chose a film. She decided that Mean Girls would suffice whereas I was silently praying that she’d choose Transformers. I guess we all can’t be happy. “I’m here!”

Chloe entered the house, clad in a sundress and sunglasses. Dana was in similar attire, subtract the sunglasses, though. I wrinkled my nose. These girls go all out when it comes to dressing down, especially on a sunny day. I seem underdressed and I’m wearing these dreaded shorts. “Good.”

Marissa was standing by the doorway with her hands holding a cooler, which I helped her fill. “Let’s go and tan, girls.”

When she saw that I wasn’t moving, she turned to me. “Noah won’t be back until 6.”

I sighed, rolling my eyes. “You assume that everything I do revolves around Noah.”

“Not everything—,” she started but I sighed.

“Oh, that meal I had earlier? I needed to stay alive for Noah. That bowel movement I endured yesterday? Cleaning my bowels for Noah,” I droned and Marissa snorted.

“Just come on; you definitely need a tan,” she rolled her eyes as she followed the other girls out to the pool.

I groaned and sat up, turning off the television. Once I reached the pool, I watched as Dana jumped in, laughing loudly. Unlike the rest of us, she has beautiful dark skin, which means that she doesn’t need to tan. In fact, she’s here to make fun of us; more specifically me because I don’t know whether or not I burn in the sun. I guess I’ll find out today.

I sat down on a beach chair and laid back, allowing my feet to kick up. I rolled up the sleeves of my short sleeve shirt until they were at the seams. I made sure my hair was secured in a bun as I closed my eyes and plugged in my earbuds. I flipped over once I grew uncomfortable with the sun’s rays and how they ripped at my skin, effectively tanning me but also burning me. About an hour in, Marissa threw a sandal at me and I frowned, opening my eyes. I took out an earbud, sitting up and placing my hand over my eyes, shading them from the sun. “What?”

“It just reached 88 degrees; I figured you might want to jump in the water,” she grinned and I sighed, shaking my head.

“I can’t believe I’m saying this but I wish I could; I don’t have my bathing suit.” I started to put my earbud back into my ear when she stopped me.

“You could always get in with your shorts and your shirt; you act like they won’t dry,” she retorted as she rested her arms on the pool’s ledge, looking up at me.

“No thanks,” I muttered before nodding back off, flipping over every so often.

After about three hours of sitting in the sun, we finally went inside. I was grateful. I’m pretty sure if I would have sat out there any longer, I would have burned like a fish stick, a very pale fish stick. It was seven o’clock and I wasn’t the only one whose stomach was making more noise than a zoo. Chloe allowed her hand to find her bare stomach. She had yet to cover up; while the rest of the girls put their clothes back on, she pranced into the house in just her bikini. I had the urge to turn on the air conditioner to freeze her into dressing but decided against it. “I’m starving.”

“Pizza?” Marissa grinned and I shrugged.

“I’m always up for pizza,” I noted and Dana nodded. Chloe just shrugged and plopped down onto a stool.

“Are you going to put some clothes on?” Marissa asked Chloe and she shrugged, getting up and walking towards the half bathroom. I sighed in relief as I dropped down onto the couch, grateful that I hadn’t got in the water. I would be in need of a shower. The sound of the door opening caught my attention and I turned around to see Noah and Lukas walk into the house, caught in a deep conversation.

“Dad!” Lukas turned away from the conversation and looked at Marissa, who was walking towards him.

“What do you want now?” he groaned with a smile on his face.

“Well, can I borrow some money to order pizza?” she asked with a smile on her face.

“As long as you order enough for all of us,” he smiled. “Are Chloe and Dana here, too?”

When Marissa nodded, Lukas nudged Noah in the side and he glowered at his father. “Your biggest fan is here.”

“Did they give you any new medicine?” Marissa asked in a quieter tone. Dana was pouring herself some water in the kitchen and Chloe was still in the bathroom changing.

“Yes,” Noah responded curtly before heading towards the stairs.

Lukas smiled at me. “Hey, Kenna.”

I smiled at him. “Hi, Lukas.”

He continued to make small talk as his daughter ordered the pizza. About ten minutes later, he excused himself to his bedroom. The girls joined me on the couch as we waited for the doorbell to ring, signifying the pizza’s arrival, only to leave ten minutes later to start brownies. Well, Dana and Chloe were. Marissa just decided to watch; I denied the invitation. Noah jogged down the steps at eight o’clock, still dressed in jeans. I noticed that he had his keys in his hands and I glanced at him. “Where are you going?”

He turned to look at me. “The pharmacy.”

I swallowed the buildup of saliva in my mouth, ineffectively ridding myself of the lump in my throat. “Mind if I join you?”

He thought for a moment before shrugging. I looked at him in slight shock before I held my hand out. “Wait right there.”

He rolled his eyes before nodding. I jogged towards the kitchen, towards the back doorway where I left my socks and shoes. I quickly sat down, stuffing my feet into my socks and rushing to put my shoes on. “Where are you going?”

I looked up at Marissa and bit back my grin. “To the pharmacy with your brother.”

She nodded, a smile tugging at her lips as she laughed. “Okay, have fun.”

I nodded as I walked towards the living room. Thankfully, Noah was still standing there. Once he saw me, he swung open the door and walked out. I sighed as I jogged towards the doorway, grabbing the door before it closed. I slipped out into the dim light, following him towards his car. “Your car needs to be washed.”

“Yeah, whatever,” he muttered as he opened the driver’s side door. I slid into the passenger’s side, staring out the window at the dim sky. It’s pretty, or at least I think so.

We drove towards the pharmacy and once we arrived, I wasn’t sure whether or not he wanted me to get out of the car and join him, so I decided to ask. “Should I go inside with you or wait out here?”

“Did you come to sit out here?” he asked me as he put the car in park. I unbuckled my seatbelt and followed him into the pharmacy, looking around at all of the different items sitting around. I grinned when I noticed the candy aisle, decorated with chocolates for Christmas.

I followed him towards the counter where he proceeded to give them his information. It took them a few minutes to find his medicine; when they did, they placed it into a bag and he had to sign something before we started to walk towards the exit. Before he could leave, I yanked on his arm and he stopped moving. “Wait a second.”

He groaned as he stood by the exit. I ran towards the candy aisle, grabbing a bag of chocolate and walking towards the counter. He stood beside me as I began unpacking my pockets in search of the five dollar bill I had stowed away after my shower this morning. I heard a frustrated groan and Noah slid a ten dollar bill across the counter. The lady glanced between the two of us and accepted it, giving him his change. We exited the pharmacy and I had a frown on my face.

“I was going to pay for that,” I told him as I followed him towards the car. It was hard to keep up with his long strides. How were his legs not tired? He ran for half an hour today, and now he’s walking to and fro as if it’s no big deal.

“When? In ten years?” he snorted as he got into the car.

“No, I have money, you know?” I sighed.

“I never said you didn’t. I’m just saying that it was so far in your pockets that it would have taken you years to find it.” He started the car while I buckled my seatbelt.

“You’re not funny,” I scowled as I opened the chocolate, taking a piece out and eating it.

“Yeah I am,” he retorted as we continued driving.

“I’m going to pay you back when I find my money,” I told him.

“Sure you are,” he responded.

“Hey look,” I shoved my hand a few inches away from his face, “a car wash.”

“Hey look,” he nodded towards the mirror, “an uncaring me.”

I rolled my eyes. “You should get your car washed.”

“You just want me to spend my money, don’t you?” he asked.

I shrugged. “Pretty much; it’s coming up in a mile.”

He rolled his eyes. “I’ll wash my car on my own time.”

“Come on,” I whined. “It’s a car wash, with the cool colors and such. Don’t you want to do that? It’s only ten dollars.”

“I can do it at my house for free,” he shrugged.

“Come on,” I frowned. “I’ll give you the money for it when we go back to school.”

“Why are you so adamant about me cleaning my car?” he asked.

“I like car washes,” I shrugged.

“Fine,” he muttered as he turned into the parking lot. He paid the man at the booth and we were driving into the car wash. I grinned as I ate my chocolate, watching the colors as they swirled around the car. “Is it really worth it?”

“Yes!” I grinned. “This is ten dollars well spent.”

He looked at me for a moment, scrutinizing my features before he scoffed, shaking his head. “You’re such a dork.”

“You’re a loser,” I responded.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

131K 2.8K 30
Kaitlyn never really trusted her best friend Leah's boyfriend- Jared. He's the most popular guy at River View High, the typical 'It' guy. The guy tha...
2.3K 298 41
"Seriously you've dated the same guy since freshman year!" He asks astonished. I nod my head. "So, you've only kissed one guy?" I laugh. "Why does...
1.1K 155 29
So there happens to be this guy. Yes, I know. It's always about a guy. Well, she's a teenage girl, what do you expect? But anyway, the guy. He's...ni...
235K 5.8K 29
"Sorry Mr. Diper." I try saying with a straight face. "It's Mr. Piper, Kristen how many times do I have to tell you?" I pretend to think hard. "How m...