The Boy Next Door ✑(h.s.)

By sillystylesxx

If you live long enough in your past, thats where you'll stay. More

--
one
two
four
five
six
seven
eight
nine
ten
eleven
twelve
thirteen
fourteen
fifteen
sixteen
seventeen
eighteen
nineteen
twenty
twenty one
twenty two
twenty three
twenty four
twenty five
twenty six
twenty seven
twenty eight
twenty nine
thirty
thirty one
thirty two/epilouge
Thank You.

three

10.3K 360 151
By sillystylesxx

Chapter 3

I rode around my street on my mint green bicycle the next morning, enjoying the chill morning breeze. Mornings like this I would normally ride into town to check out the farmers market endulging myself into the authncity of our small town. I liked my scheduled routine. Routines kept my life in order, well I'm not sure how much order there is now that Angie left. But I guess I'll have to adjust.

On my way into town I decided that I'd make a trip down to the post office to send Angie's letter. I dropped it off in the blue mail box, but not before leaving a kiss to the envelope. I got back to my bicycle and began on my normal route towards town. Moving my feet, pushing the pedals moving me along the paved road just felt like second nature. I didn't even have to think about it. Turning down each street like I have my whole life. I often wonder what it would be like breaking this routine. But if I'm going to be completely honest, change scares me. Nothing good can ever come out of it. Therefore, I like to stick to one routine, where nothing changes. Everything's the same.

I finally made my way to the farmers market, leaning my bike against the brick building of the book store across the street. I took my basket out of crate attached to my bike and proceeded across the street.

Being that it was nearly 8:30 in the morning, not many people were here except some elder couples. I saw many familiar faces, seeing as I see them every time I come here. I walk past the booths with various fruits, and locally made and grown goods. I loved seeing the pureness of my community.

After buying a few fresh fruits and saying hi to the elders I had befriended with my many visits, I walked back to my bike. I placed the items I bought in the crate, and walked into the book store my bike was being supported by.

I heard a small bell as I opened the door, signifying a coustmer had entered. I made my way to the counter and expected to be greeted by Rodney, the librarian and storeowner. He had become a close friend of mine over the years, and I really enjoyed his company. I rang the bell on the counter and yelled out a "Hello". I was soon followed with the sound of objects falling onto the floor along with a few swears. The back door opened and Rodney appeared carrying a stack of books nearing up to his chin.

"God dammit Poppy, you can't scare me like that. I nearly broke everything in the back room!" Rodney scolded whie making his way to the other side of the counter while I remained where I was.

"Oh shut up Rodney. We both know you're just sleeping on the job again." I said giving him an eye roll and a playful smirk.

"Well excuse me if it's 8:30 in the morning. Not everyone is an early bird like you, Ms. Peppy." Rodney frustratedly replied.

"Oh c'mon, you know I'm here every morning. Just because it's summer doesn't mean I don't have a schedule to maintain."

"Yeah yeah" Rodney said while waving his hand in the air, disgaurding the topic.

I chuckled lightly to myself while Rodney put the books on a cart, and started to walk down the isles, placing them in the correct slots throughout the book store.

"Got anything new?" I coming up behind Rodney, looking over his shoulder at the stack of books.

"Nothing you'd be interested Poppy, trust me I think I know your prefece of novels by now." he said while placing a book on the shelf.

"Hmm, okay well then, what would you recommend me?" I asked making my way down the isle across from Rodney, skimming though the vast selcetion.

"Give me a second, there was a book that reminded me of you. Let me go get it." Rodney put the book down on the cart and made his way behind the counter. I followed and remained on the other side if the counter.

Rodney bent down a dug through god knows what he kept back there. After a couple of seconds he stands from his position and hands me over a book.

"Just a Summer Romance" by Ann M. Martin.

"Why on earth did this book remind you of me?" I asked while raising the book in the air.

"I don't know. Seemed like you'd enjoy it. Have you ever not liked anything I suggested to you before?" Rodney asked raising his eyebrows.

Rodney had always given me great suggestions for books. Each one connecting to me instantly. I looked down at the book in my hands and sighed.

"Fine, but if I hate it I'm never coming back here again." I said jokingly.

"Good, maybe then I'll be able to sleep and not have to wake up at the crack of dawn." Rodney replied with so much sarcasm you could practicly taste it.

I thanked Rodney for the book and told him I'd return it soon. I left the book store and turned the corner, heading towards my bike. I placed the new book in the basket at the front of my bike and started walking my bike around the corner. As I was walking I made eye contact with the ground, a habit I formed recently. I just don't particuarlly feel like seeing familiar faces anymore, besides Rodney and the few elderly couples.

I kept my eyes glued to the ground and I turned yet another corner, but this time I ran into someone. I fell forward on the stranger while my bike fell to the side, causing everything in my basket to go everywhere. I heard a deep grunt as we fell to the sidewalk.

"Oh my god, I am so sorry!" I said franticly while trying to get off of the stranger. I struggled to push my head off the chest of the stranger into a push up position. I looked down at the accidental victim and of course it was no other than one Harry Styles.

"Geez Poppy, maybe watch where you're going once in a while." Harry said sarcasticlly, but also in a pained voice indicating that the fall had indeed ingured him slightly.

"I'm actually so sorry, I didn't think anyone would be on this street." I apologize again while standing up offering Harry a hand. He hesitantly took it saying "You're not gonna fall on me again, are you?" while raising an eyebrow.

I rolled my eyes and he took my hand. I then bent down to retrieve the items that were thrown astray from the fall. Once I had all my belongings back into the basket of my bike I turned to Harry.

"Are you sure you're okay? I didn't damage that ego too much now did I?" Harry let out a dry laugh at my sarcastic remark.

"Nothing could damage this ego." Harry said with a smirk and a playful gaze. I rolled my eyes yet again, feeling as though thats all I do when I'm around him.

"What are you doing here at 8 in the morning anyway? Doesn't Ms. Peppy have something important to be doing?" Harry asked.

"I could ask you the same thing." I retorted.

"I just decided I'd check out the town. Might as well get a feel of where I'll be spending the next couple of years." Harry replied with a shrug of his shoulders.

"Oh, well I just normally come here every morning. I don't know its just kinda my routine." I decided to answer his question, since he had answered mine.

"Well, since you know this area like the back of your hand, you wanna show me what makes this place so special?" Harry asked nudging me with his elbow. I chuckled at his childish ways. I figured I'd have nothing to lose, and maybe the sooner I showed him around, the sooner I could get him out of my hair.

"I guess I could spare a couple of hours out of my busy schedule." I grinned while locking my bike at the nearest bike rack.

Harry and I walked down the sidewalk, side by side making our way to the center of town. We came near a series of small businesses and local diners.

"So what're you up for? You hungry, or are you in the mood for new clothes?" I asked turning my head towards Harry.

"I mean I could go for some food right now, but then again when can't I?" Harry chuckled at the end.

"Very, very true." I chuckled back.

We made our way towards a family owned diner, and walked in the building . Harry held the door and motioned for me to enter.

"Awh, how sweet" I over exaggerated, Harry replied with a roll of his eyes and followed suit behind me. We made our way to a booth near the back of the diner. Shortly our waitress came over to us and gave us our menus. We thanked her and she left the table. We skimmed our menus while we both decided we'd share pancakes, due to the fact that I wasn't too hungry. Harry decided to add a side of bacon to the order insiting that "Everything tastes better with bacon."

The waitress came and took our order and left just as quickly as she arrived. Harry and I were left to make conversation while we awaited for our meals to come.

"So, Harry, tell me... what do you think of good ole Staunton?" I asked taking a sip of my orange juice.

"Eh it's pretty okay so far, except I have this super annoying neighbor. Maybe you know her." Harry was being the sarcastic asshole I've come to realise he is.

"Oh really?" I responed with an equal ammount of sarcasm. "Cause I do too!" I said with a grin.

"You're not too bad Poppy.. you might just be alright." Harry said wile taking a drink of his water.

"I guess I could say the same for you Styles." I noticed that our knees had been touching underneath the table, but it had all of the sudden become very noticable. I stared into Harry's emerald eyes yet again, then down to the other features of his face. He smiled as he took notice of my staring. It was also then when I noticed the dimple on his left cheek. I quickly averted my gaze to the waitress as she brought our orders to the table. I was more than grateful she inturupted the embarassing act I had just commited.

----

"So where to next?" I questioned as we left the diner. We continued to walk down the sidewalk in the middle of town.

"How bout a movie?" Harry looked at me as if he were asking for my approval. I nodded making our way towards the local theatre. We took a look at the movies and showtimes.

"So we can either watch A Nightmare on Elm Street 3, or Dirty Dancing." I informed Harry while continuing to look up at the bright letters.

"Well I could go for a good scare right now, but I don't wanna make little Poppy cry." Harry stated pouting his lip in a mocking manner.

"Oh please, scary movies are my life." I retorted making my way up to the box office and got two tickets for A Nightmare on Elm Street 3.

Once we were situated in the theatre I began to eat from the tub of popcorn Harry had bought. We both went for the popcorn at the same time and our hands brushed, immedietly sending an unfamiliar feeling through my body. I retracted my hand and continued watching the trailers.

The lights soon dimmed indicating the start of the film. Harry leaned over and whispered into my ear. "If you want I can hold your hand if you get too scared." Although I know he was mocking me, I couldn't help but fantisize his hand entertwined with mine throughout the whole movie.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

531K 8.1K 84
A text story set place in the golden trio era! You are the it girl of Slytherin, the glue holding your deranged friend group together, the girl no...
284K 12.1K 42
In a futuristic society, love is 'found' through matching bracelets, that are assigned by the government. It is simple system - if the man in front o...
3.7M 124K 39
He was destined to be evil; it was in his blood. He was destined to kill; it was in his blood. But destiny takes a turn when he does the unexpected...
403K 6K 32
She was the popular girl. He was the nerd. She was the 'it' girl. He was the 'geek' guy. She showed him to learn sex. And he showed her to learn mat...