Love in a Shanghai Summer

By MeiSummer

After falling in love with a younger and much less successful man, can Yiwen convince herself and her parents... More

1: Leftover Woman(剩女)
2: Small Fresh Meat (小鲜肉)
3: White, Rich, & Beautiful(白富美)
4: Oh, my god(我的天)
6: Eat Bitter(吃苦)
7: I Rely On (我靠)
8: Lose Face (丢脸)
9: Pig Head (猪头)
10: Golden Week (黄金周)
11: Be a Light Bulb (当电灯泡)
12: My dish (我的菜)
13: Underground Love (地下情)
14: Three at Dawn, Four at Dusk (朝三暮四)
15: Add Oil (加油)
16: Blow Cows (吹牛)
17: No door (没门)
18: Long Time, No See (好久没见)
19: Numb Flesh (肉麻)
20: Fight the Wind, Eat Vinegar (争风吃醋)
21: Limb Contact (肢体接触)
22: Sticky Person (粘人)
23: Heavy Color, Light Friend (重色轻友)
24: Older Sister, Younger Brother Love (姐弟恋)
25: Collapse and Burst (崩溃)
26: Begin Again (重新开始)
27: My Dear Love (亲爱的)
28: All the Way Peace (一路平安)
29: Spare Tire (备胎)
30: Separate Hand (分手)
31: Thank Heaven, Thank Earth (谢天谢地)
32: Old Female, Old Male (老婆, 老公)
33: Put down (放下)
34: To Knot (结婚)
35: Put Heart (放心)
36: Tight Paper (紧张)
37: Moth to the Flame (飞蛾扑火)
38: Untie and Set Free (解放)
Epilogue: Daughter Becomes a Phoenix(望女成凤)

5: Wechat(微信)

37.6K 1.6K 466
By MeiSummer

Word of the day: Wēixìn (微信)

Literal translation: Tiny letter.

Definition: Also known as Wechat. It's a popular messaging platform in China developed by Tencent. It's like Facebook, Whatsapp, Paypal, Google Maps, and Apple Pay in one nifty app.

*******

Li Zi'an wandered around the park and its surrounding neighborhood every chance he got. It was his daily exercise, or so he told himself. Nevermind that going for a walk in the morning, at noon, and late at night was a tad excessive. If his pedometer app was to be believed, he was putting in around 20,000 steps daily, but who was counting? He wasn't.

Besides, even though he was outside the office, he was still working. Nature has a way of inspiring creativity. He sketched better when he was outside. Tugging his backpack a little higher, he greeted the security guard at the park entrance.

"Oh, you're here again," said the old man with a toothy grin. "Just got off work?"

Zi'an stopped and shook his head. "Just taking a break."

"Have you had your dinner?"

"Not yet, maybe a little later."

The man checked the watch on his wrist. "Oh, but it's already past eight. Young man, don't forget to eat. Making money is good, but your health should come first. You'll realize this when you get as old as I am."

Zi'an grinned. "Uncle is right as usual. Thank you! I'll go and have a meal soon."

"All right, then. Off you go. See you tomorrow!"

"See you."

With a wave, Zi'an set off again. He crossed the main path dodging joggers as he went and made his way towards the perimeter of the man-made lake. There, couples, children, and the elderly strolled at a more casual pace. Zi'an stopped to observe the reflection of light on water admiring how it shimmered with the occasional ripples. Then he turned to look at the crowd, scanning through the multitude of faces for one that was familiar. When he didn't find what he was looking for, he walked again.

This time, he passed by a wider paved area where a group of middle-aged ladies was taking a break from dancing.

"Ah, the handsome man has arrived," one said out loud, waving him over.

He obediently approached them and greeted everyone.

"Taking a walk after dinner?" said a woman he knew as Aunty Han.

"No, just taking a break from work."

Zi'an remembered Aunty Han well because she had tried to set him up with her daughter. Zi'an had to tell her he already had a girlfriend for Aunty Han to let him off the hook. He didn't like lying, of course, but in this case, his white lie wasn't completely far from the truth. He did have someone in mind lately and had no room to spare for anyone else. Except, she was not his girlfriend and may never even be in the future judging by how bad his luck had been, but what was a little wishful thinking?

"So you haven't had dinner, then?" said another lady he recognized as Aunty Zhang.

Zi'an shook his head. "I'll get some after my break."

"Āi yā, that won't do." Aunty Han dug into a huge canvas bag and pulled out a plastic bag. "Here have some meat buns."

"Oh, it's okay, Aunty Han. You don't have to. I'll go have some dinner in a bit."

"Āi yā, don't be so polite," said another lady. "Just take the buns. Young people these days always work so late and don't eat properly. It's not good for your health."

Aunty Zhang tutted. "That's right. My son rarely gets off work before ten. When he arrives home, he plays games on his phone until midnight and even orders fast food after that. I keep telling him off every day, but it goes into one ear then out the other."

This launched a lengthy discussion amongst the other ladies with each woman having something to say about the youth of today and their terrible eating habits. In the end, Zi'an was sent away with a plastic bag full of food. He should have known better than to refuse the buns. There was no winning against a bunch of aunties.

Munching on some boiled corn, Zi'an veered towards a quieter section. The path was not as well lit so it was less traveled. In this area, only couples making out under the cover of darkness were his companion, but he didn't mind. They spared no attention for those outside their bubble. It was the perfect place to be alone. Zi'an went straight for a bench underneath a willow. There, he had a great view of the lake and the glittering skyline towering above the canopy of trees. Sitting down, he placed his loot next to him and pulled out a sketchbook from his bag. As he ate, he drew some concepts for a product he wanted to develop.

Soon, he'd gone through the contents of the plastic bag. He had also managed to finish his sketches. Taking out his phone from his pocket, he checked the time. An hour had passed. Time to walk around the park again just in case. He put away his sketchbook and cleaned up his trash. While he was slinging his backpack over his shoulder, his phone vibrated. It was a Wechat notification announcing that a certain Yiwen had added him as a friend.

He sat back down, almost falling to the ground when he barely hit the edge of the bench, and opened the app. The person who sent him the request only showed a cat in their profile picture. This could be a scammer, but what were the chances of them having the name of the woman he wanted to see? Coincidences like that were too unbelievable so he clicked "accept" and waited. When five minutes passed and no messages were forthcoming, he decided to send one himself.

Zi'an (李子安): Excuse me. Is this Wang Yiwen?

As soon as he pressed send, a notification appeared on the top of the chat box indicating that the other person was typing. He drummed his fingers against his lap.

Yiwen (艺文): Is there some other Yiwen in your life?

Zi'an's grin spread from ear to ear. He quickly typed his reply. His fingers shook so much, he fumbled the characters.

Zi'an (李子安): American oil, American oil

Yiwen (艺文):  ???

Yiwen (艺文):  *three laughing emojis*

Upon noticing the mistake, Zi'an long-pressed on the message and recalled it. He typed again.

Zi'an (李子安): Sorry, I mean no. There's no other Wang Yiwen in my life

Yiwen (艺文): I got it. Just teasing :D

He leaned back against the bench and let out a soft chuckle.

Zi'an (李子安):  So how did you get my Wechat?

Yiwen (艺文): Your friend sent it to me. Did you make him do it?

Zi'an (李子安): No, but I'm glad he did. I should treat him for lunch tomorrow.

Yiwen (艺文): *sends a screenshot*

Zi'an clicked the photo to enlarge it and read the chat conversation.

[8:00 PM]

GaoGaoJiJi: [Contact Card] Zi'an (李子安)

GaoGaoJiJi: Sis, add my friend

GaoGaoJiJi: He's been wandering around the park every day like a lost ghost

GaoGaoJiJi: A lonely spinster spirit might mistake him for one and take him away

"Jisen, you idiot! Did you really have to expose me like that?"

Zi'an started typing again.

Zi'an (李子安): I don't know why he sent that. I'm just trying out a new exercise routine.

Yiwen (艺文):  *smirk emoji*

Yiwen (艺文): So aren't you going to thank me?

Zi'an (李子安): Thanks for adding me! *rose emoji*

Yiwen (艺文): And for saving you from the spinster spirit

Zi'an (李子安): And for saving me from the spinster spirit

Zi'an (李子安): How about I treat you to some milk tea to repay you for your kindness?

Yiwen (艺文):  I told you. Only when we bump into each other again.

Zi'an (李子安): Isn't this considered a virtual encounter?

Yiwen (艺文): Online doesn't count. *wink emoji*

Zi'an (李子安): So I guess I'll have to continue roaming the park daily. :(

Yiwen (艺文): Didn't you say that was your exercise routine?

Zi'an groaned. This was why he avoided lying. He sucked at it.

Zi'an (李子安): Okay, okay, I admit it. I was trying my luck. I'm really craving some milk tea, you know, but I've already promised I'd have it with you so...

Yiwen (艺文): Drinking too much milk tea is not good. Keep exercising, though. It's good for your health.

"Why is everyone lecturing me on my health?" he mumbled. "Do I look sick or something?"

Zi'an (李子安):  *sad emoji*

Zi'an (李子安): Failed again...

Yiwen (艺文):  You got my Wechat, though. I think you've had enough luck for the day.

Zi'an (李子安): You're right. I think today is the day my fortune will finally turn.

Zi'an (李子安): What an auspicious night!

Yiwen (艺文): And on that note, I bid you good night

Zi'an (李子安):  Really? That soon?

Zi'an (李子安): The night is young. Chat with me a little longer. 

Yiwen (艺文): The night is young only for you young ones. This old lady needs her rest.

Yiwen (艺文):  Good night, Li Zi'an

Zi'an (李子安):  *sighing emoji*

Zi'an (李子安): Good night :D

Even though she no longer replied, he stared at his phone a little longer. He didn't know what he was expecting. Doing so would not bring her back online. But just in case, he reasoned to himself. It was only when his phone screen turned dark that he finally shook himself from the daze and started making his way back to the office. At least now he didn't have to go for another walk. Truth be told, his feet hurt from all the added workout. At this time, there were fewer people around. The aunties were also long gone. At the entrance, the guard was nodding off, but still gave him a smile goodbye. Zi'an wished him good night. At the ground floor of his office building, he passed by a convenience store and got himself an energy drink. On the way out, he noticed his reflection on the glass door. His face still carried a goofy smile.

"Are you really that happy?" he asked.

The man in the glass smiled even wider.

Li Zi'an, Li Zi'an, what are you doing?

A few days ago, he told his friend he didn't match Wang Yiwen's qualifications. Wang Yiwen had even told him herself. So what was he doing pinning his hopes on her? This way only lay heartbreak. But as usual, he's ignoring the warning signs and forging right ahead.

Pushing the door open, he made his way out and picked up his pace eager to return to work. Yet once he was back at his desk, the only person in the now-empty co-working space, he couldn't bring himself to move. Fatigue weighed down his every limb, the pressure to succeed leaving him paralyzed. He opened the energy, downed half the battle, and slapped his cheeks with both hands.

For people like him who didn't have his parent's wealth to cushion his fall, there was no other choice but to keep going until he had safely reached the top. He had no room to rest, nor to be distracted.

Wang Yiwen distracted him to no end.

*******

Author's Note:

If you haven't yet, I recommend you to play the video above. It's the Chinese version of the Beauty and Beast theme song sang by Jing Boran and Tien Fu Chen. He's so cute there!

Also, I'll be traveling for two weeks, but I already have the next two chapters prepared so it shouldn't be a problem. Hope I can have time to write during my travels, though, so there are no delays in the updates :P

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

255K 8.3K 36
a simple yet beautiful hard-working girl falls in love with simply the wrong but the right guy at the same time, jasmine white is a 24 years old wom...
69.6K 5.5K 35
Two best friends grew up together in the orphanage .. They are so close that they never left each other's side..In childhood, they stayed together, a...
89.7K 6.8K 43
Wang Yibo is a gifted university student although he studies in the midst of a poor background.He lives in a small village in a countryside with his...
211K 9.9K 46
"Raise your head " The man's voice sounded as if there was no margin for him to resist. So he reluctantly looked up to him. "Mr. Wang, can I help you...