Worth It

By blackgirlwrites

[COMPLETED] This story is messy! Prepare to be pissed! Lol More

Chapter 1: Challenge Accepted
Chapter 2: All In
Chapter 3: Feels Right
Chapter 4: The Wknd
Chapter 5: A Metaphor For Always
Chapter 6: Knowing What You Deserve
Chapter 7: Got Your Back
Chapter 8: Looking Out
Chapter 10: Heart to Heart
Chapter 11: Pining After You
Chapter 12: Heated Confrontation
Chapter 13: How It Went Down
Chapter 14: The Cat is Out of the Bag
Chapter 15: You Got Served
Chapter 16: In the Blink of An Eye
Chapter 17: Major Adjustments
Chapter 18: Official
Chapter 19: The Turn Up
Chapter 20: If It's Not One Thing...
Chapter 21: ...It's Another
Chapter 22: Pinky Promise
Chapter 23: The Visit
Chapter 24: The Interlude
Chapter 25: Things Fall Apart
Chapter 26: Curveball
Chapter 27: Thanks Ma
Chapter 28: The Smoke Has Cleared
Chapter 29: Our Next Move
Chapter 30: Clear the Room
Chapter 31: The Chat
Chapter 32: First Impressions
Chapter 33: Getting Acquainted
Chapter 34: Laying it All Down
Chapter 35: Mommy Dearest
Chapter 36: Decisions
Chapter 37: A Little Solace...
Chapter 38: Bittersweet Moments
Chapter 39: Back to Back
Chapter 40: Water Lilies
Chapter 41: The Light at the End
Chapter 42: New Life
Chapter 43: It's Me
Chapter 44: Betrayal
Chapter 45: The Pieces He Left
Chapter 46: I Remember
Chapter 47: The Saturday After
Chapter 48: Puzzle Pieces
Part 49: The One Before You
Chapter 50: Denial Ain't Just A River...
Chapter 51: Detour
Chapter 52: Make Believe Love
Chapter 53: You Know How That Goes
Chapter 54: 6211 Lighthouse Drive
Chapter 55: Let's stay Together
Chapter 56: The Blow Up
Chapter 57: I'll Always Love You
Chapter 58: An Unforgettable Night
Chapter 59: The Truth About Us
Chapter 60: Snapped
Chapter 61: Go Handle Your Business
Chapter 62: These Arms
Chapter 63: Terms & Conditions

Chapter 9: Being Present

3.9K 188 8
By blackgirlwrites

...
The next morning Janelle burst into my room. I rolled over and looked at her with one eye open. "Janelle---" I paused. I rolled back over to check the time on my phone. "Janelle it's seven forty-five a.m. What are you doing here?" I groaned.

She walked over to my side of the bed. "Your alarm bout to go off anyway." I huffed. "Yeah and that's what I want to wake me up. Not you." She plopped down on the bed beside me. "Scoot over. I got something to tell you." Just then Kevin walked back into the room. "What's up Janelle," he said as he made his way back into the bed. "What's up Kev," Janelle said and then she returned her attention back to me. I had my arms wrapped around my pillow trying to go back to sleep. Janelle tapped my leg several times. "Alyssa. Get up."

"No," I groaned, "It's not time yet." Kevin chuckled beside me. "You know she is the furthest thing from a morning person."

"And it's so irritating," Janelle replied. "You're irritating," I mumbled against my pillow.

"Lyyys," she whined as she shook me, "get up!"

Before I could say anything my eight o'clock alarm went off. I quickly turned it off and laid in bed trying to savor the moment. After a few seconds passed I sat up and frustratingly fumbled with my covers. "I'm up," I said sarcastically to Janelle as I got out of bed.

I exited out of my room and went to the bathroom. Janelle followed behind me. I couldn't even use the toilet in peace. "Janelle," I chuckled, "right now you are like that one child who love to be up under their mama all the time."

She laughed. "That's because this is important."

When I finished using the toilet I washed my hands and began my morning routine. "So what's up J?" She shut the bathroom door and sat on the lid of the toilet seat.

"Is it about Adrian," I perked up.

Janelle grinned. "No. That's another story."

"Mmhm," I said looking over at her. "J are you blushing? My. Someone had a good night." Janelle couldn't stop smiling. "Stop. It's not about him right now," she laughed.

"Okay. Okay. So what's the tea?"

Janelle smacked her lips. "Well. When I was out with Adrian last night I ran into Ron." I stopped what I was doing and turned around to completely face her.

"Ron, Ron?"

"Yeah."

"He was just over here last night."

Janelle stuck out her neck. "I'm sorry. What? Here. As in your suite?"

"Yep," I said nodding my head.

"Funny. Cuz he didn't mention that last night. Why was he here?"

"He said CeCe invited him," I said as I resumed putting on my face scrub. "Wayment. CeCe is here!" I nodded my head yes. "Boy. A lot goes on when I'm not around," Janelle joked. "When I got back in last night she was having a little get together," I said as I turned on the shower.

"Whaaat! I'm gonna have to holla at her before I leave," she said. "But anyway when Ron and I bumped into each other last night I was trynna be polite. You know me. So I asked him how he was and everything and he told me that he is engaged." I stepped into the shower. "No he didn't! J are you serious?"

"Girl yes! Engaged! I was taken aback, because I remembered what you told me transpired between you and him a few weeks ago."

"J and not only that," I interjected, "but just last night he asked me if we could talk about what happened a few weeks ago."

"Seriously!"

"Yep."

We were silent for a moment. "Do you think he was lying about it? You know just saying that to make conversation."

Janelle pondered that thought for a moment. "I don't know. Maybe."
..
When we left out of the bathroom Janelle went to go see CeCe before she headed out and I went into my room to get dressed.

When I locked my door behind me, the weight of the silence in the room alarmed me. What transpired while I was gone?

I walked over to my dresser and grabbed my body oil. From my peripheral I noticed Kevin's mind was sitting heavy with something.

I put on my undergarments and rummaged through my clothes for something to wear. I pulled out something random and laid it out on the bed. For now I threw on an old, large t-shirt and a pair of shorts.

I quietly walked over to Kevin. I sat down on his lap facing him with my legs on either side of his body. He looked up at me as I slowly slid his phone out of his hands and placed it on the bed. "Hey," I said softly as I placed my arms around his neck. I planted a light kiss on his forehead. "Hey," he replied and he kissed me with the grief that lingered at the edge of his lips. I untied his locs and let them flow freely. I gently ran my hands through his hair and watched his whole body relax. I put my forehead on his. "Do you want to talk about it," I asked him. After a few moments he spoke up."I'm not ready," was all he told me and then the tears came. I moved from out of his lap and held him; and he gave his body rest.
...
"Hey Lys," Janelle called out to me from across the parking lot. She was with Adrian. I had just left my class and was headed towards my dorm. "Hey what's up y'all," I called out as I met up with them. "Nothing much. We were just about to head out."

I grinned. "Oooh. Where y'all headed?"

"The mall."

"Oh so you ditched me for a new shopping buddy,"I teased.

Adrian laughed. "Not likely. Trust me she'd rather go with you. I just need her to help me shop, because I have some important meetings coming up and I want to look my best. Believe me I am no substitute."

"Ya know? You are alright in my book Adrian,"I joked.

"Oh. Speaking of book," Janelle interjected, "I have to go run inside real quick and get my bag." She looked between Adrian and I. "Get it? Book. Bag." She laughed.

I threw my head back and slowly looked over at Janelle. "Uh unh. No. Really Janelle? You are so corny."

"Be back in a flash," she said as she jogged over to our building. Adrian and I laughed. "She is so simple," I joked.

When Janelle was out of sight Adrian turned to me. "Hey. Listen."

"Yeah? What's up?"

"Has Kevin been a little distant lately? He doesn't seem like himself and I'm not sure what's going on."

"Yeah. He's going through something, but he's having a hard time talking about it."

"So you're just as lost as me?"

"Yep," I nodded.

"I wish it was something I could do. It's rough seeing him like this, ya know?"

"Well. The best thing we can do for him right now is just be there for him so when he's ready to talk about it, he knows he has people around him that he can trust."

Adrian nodded his head. "That's wise." He looked up at me. "I'm glad he has you." I smiled at him. "Thanks."

"Okay. I'm ready Freddy," Janelle said when she approached us. "MmMm Janelle. Nope. You're cancelled for the day." I leaned my head back. "What is happening? I just had to cancel my best friend."

"Stop playing with me Lys," Janelle said as she playfully pushed me.

Adrian was in hysterics. "Adrian I don't know why you're laughing. I know this is your fault."

"Wait a minute. What? How?" He laughed.

"You make her happy."

Adrian looked at Janelle and smiled. "It's true," she grinned.

I smiled. "A'right y'all. I'm bout to go. Later."
...
At 2 p.m. on Friday, Janelle popped up at my job. I worked in a department store and was folding up clothes when she came in.

"Hey!" She said as she approached me.

"Hey J. What are you doing here?"

"I got off work early."

"So in other words you were bored and came up here."

"Yep pretty much. So what are you doing tonight?"

"Nothing. I haven't planned for anything."

"Well Adrian and I are going to this restaurant called "Blaze" tonight. We want you and Kevin to come. "Oh really! I'm down. Imma text Kevin right now."

Kevin replied back within seconds. "Oh. He just texted me back. He said let's do it. He needs to go out."

Janelle grinned excitedly. "Yay! We finally have a double date night."
..
Later that night everyone was in high spirits. "I didn't know y'all had karaoke," Janelle said when we sat down at our booth.

"Yeah. It's Karaoke and open mic night. Everyone loves it." Our waitress Tameka replied. "We got any singers over here who wanna give it a try," she asked us enthusiastically.

"Well I don't know about y'all, but I'm definitely going up there later," Adrian said excitedly. "You can sing," Janelle and I asked at the same time.

Him and Kevin laughed. "Heeell no," Kevin replied. "He gotta better chance at getting into law school than he does at singing." We all laughed hysterically.

After we ate dinner and had a couple of drinks everyone was ready to let loose. Adrian had just finished singing on stage and was riled up. "Okay. Who's next?" He asked as he sat back down at the table. "You know what? I'll go," I offered. Everyone looked at me surprised. "You? Sing?" Janelle asked.

I grinned. "Yeah. Why not?"

"Uh cause you don't sing," Janelle laughed.

"I'll bet you twenty bucks that she'll kill it," Kevin said to Janelle. "Are you serious? Alyssa doesn't sing. I'll bet you fifty that she won't."

"Gee thanks for the vote of confidence Janelle," I teased.

They laughed. "Adrian you want in on this," Janelle asked. "Nah. But if I did, I would put my money on Alyssa to do her thing."

I smiled, "Thanks guys," before heading in the direction of the stage. When I got on stage I told the sound tech what song I wanted. "Okay guys let's give it up for our newcomer, Alyssa!" The host yelled into the microphone.

"Let's go Alyssa," some people in the crowd yelled out. Everyone was so supportive. When the first few notes of the song played the crowd started getting hyped. I sat down on the stool and smiled. "Got any Lalah Hathaway or Anita Baker fans in the building?" The crowd started cheering. I grinned. "This is for you baby." Aw's were heard around the restaurant." I took a deep breath and started out with a few runs.

Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh

Oohs and Ah's came from around the room. "Okay. Get into it honey," someone from the back shouted out.

If I could, I'd give you the world
Wrap it all around you
Won't be satisfied with just a piece of this heart

So many people were shouting out during my performance.

"I hear you sis!"
"You better sing!"
"Go awf babygirl"

The crowd around me laughed. I just grinned and let the music take control.

My angel
Oh, angel
You're my angel
Oh, angel

I looked at Kevin and pointed to him,  He winked back with a grin.

Dreams are dreams, some dreams come true
I found a real dream, baby, when I found you
You're so strong, but tender, too

My angel
Oh, angel
You're my angel
Oh, angel

When I finished everyone cheered for me and shouted out my name. I grinned and thanked them before stepping off the stage.

When I got to my seat Kevin greeted me first and kissed me. "You were so amazing baby. I didn't know you had the vocals!"

"Uh ma'am! You got some explaining to do and you owe me fifty dollars. I didn't know you could sing," Janelle said as she gave me a hug.

"Damn Alyssa you had everyone shook," Adrian chimed in.

I laughed. "I never told anyone that I could sing, because I just didn't want all the extra attention that comes with it. It's always been a secret talent of mine though."

"Girl you better stop hiding that gift! Share it with the world," Janelle encouraged. "Aw thanks J."

Our waitress came over to the table. "Girl you sang that honey. I think you're one of the best vocalist we've had up there." I was touched. "Aw thank you so much," I beamed.
..
The night had gone so well and none of us were ready for it to end. "What's the moves y'all," Adrian asked as we got into his car. "We could just kick it back at my place. We could run to the store, pick up some drinks, and have our own lil get together. You feel me," Kevin responded.

"Ladies how y'all feel about that," Adrian asked looking back at us. "I'm cool with it," Janelle replied. "Yeah. Same." We made a quick run into the 24 hour Walmart around the corner from Kevin's apartment. When Kevin grabbed a cart I hopped into it. "Babe. Now you know you are too grown for this," he laughed. "Shh. Push me," I said giddily. He pushed the cart extremely fast and then let it go. "Kevin! You better not let me crash or I'm fighting you!" He caught up to the cart and grabbed it before it bumped into anything. When it stopped I hopped out of the cart.

Janelle grabbed my hand. "Come with me," she said as she dragged me to the other side of the store. "Where are we going," I asked her. We stopped in a random isle. I looked around. "Any particular reason why we're in the hardware isle Janelle?"

"I just needed a second away from the guys to talk to you."

I perked up. "About?"

"About how I've been feeling about Adrian. What you think about him. Allat. I feel like we never had the time to really talk about it."

"Well for starters," I grinned, "I think he is an absolute sweet heart. Y'all go together and not like in an aesthetic type of way, but in a way in which he complements you and you complement him. He adds to the person that you are and he's super fun to be around."

"Aw Lys. Thank you. He makes me happy. I'm really feeling him."

I smiled at her. "Mm."

Her eyes grew wide and she grinned. "What," she said. I turned and walked away. "Lys,"she said following behind me, "Lys!"

I turned back around. "Don't say I didn't tell you. Aunt Jo be knowin'." Janelle burst out into laughter. "Oh my goodness. Girl. You did not."

Me and Janelle met back up with the guys at the cash register. "Where'd y'all run off to," Adrian asked. "Just took a stroll through the store to see if there was anything else we wanted to get while we were here." Kevin raised his eyebrow and twisted up his mouth. "Mmhm. You know good and well..." "Mind your business Kevin," I joked.

When we got back to Kevin's place he pulled me back into his room and shut the door. "Kev what's up?"

"I know this is gonna sound random and out of place, but I'm ready to talk about what's been going on."
...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2K 50 19
*COMPLETED*✔️✔️ This is a story of how two lovers fight for their love from the beginning to the end.Will they win this fight?
PASSION By Piyu

Fanfiction

8.1K 734 68
Okay so this story is written two years back , so if it's cliché , understand . And I was really new to writing . If you guys have read it before I u...
295K 4.8K 32
This story is a lemon/ drama hope you enjoy it. If not give me feedback I'll appreciate it.
6.9K 217 8
Billie Eilish x Reader (AU) This is a shooorrtttttt story. Only a handful of chapters because i don't want it to be that long. summary: The reader...