豹 (leopard) [ON HOLD]

By Minashida

Khouta is a cute boy who is, around, 17 years old and is living with his friend and her mother for a short pe... More

Chapter 2. A pretty color
Chapter 3. Dejection
Chapter 4: To swallow a bird

Chapter 1. The boy nobody knows about

74 5 1
By Minashida

‘Everybody, next to the wall!” the teachers were alarmed and concerned into keeping their students safe. It was the first time it happened in that school, so not a lot of people could react towards the life threatening situation that arrived.

-          What’s going on sensei? What is that alarm?

The sensei was about to answer Maruko’s question when the shooting and screaming began. The thought that they could get killed by the men outside  contaminated their minds. They all trembled and whispered as low as they could, trying to get some solace from their own words and thoughts. The only comfort they were able to find, was instantly taken away when one of the men broke down the locked door.

-          Alright, little bitches! Which one of you wants to die first?! Who will it be?

His tone was harsh and seemed either drunk or intoxicated. Sadly, that was Just his natural behavior that continued non stop until he put his hands on one of the students . Suddenly blood splashed all over the girl’s uniform and the man fell down dead. When the girl finally got herself to scream,  three more men came in the room. They all stared at the man's body on the floor that appeared to have been killed by a headshot. The wound wasn’t made by a gun or any kind of fire arm, but by a shuriken that was thrown so hard it went through the window and through his skull. A man with a dual sword belt, sunglasses and black leader globes jumped in the room and stared at the dead man. One of the guys pointed a gun at the man, who in reality was only a boy, and called out to him: ‘son of a bitch! You did this! ’. The boy looked at the terrorist straight in the eye and said:

-          Yup, and I so enjoyed it. If I could do it again, I would. He deserved it. In fact, he deserved a slower, more painful death.

One of the terrorists got his last nerve killed by the boy's words. After calling him a bastard the man grabbed his submachine gun in an aggressive way, but the boy gave him no time to target. He quickly moved towards the man and hit his jaw with is elbow while grabbing his hand and knocking down the gun. He used the strap attached to the gun and used it to choke the guy, he had lifted on his back, pointed the attached gun to one of the guys and a hand gun to the other one. Two girls stared death on to the guy’s face that was mostly covered by his hair and the pair of sunglasses he was wearing.

-         - Ne…Maruko…isn’t that….

Maruko did not answer. she was shocked  with no words.

                                                                             Chapter one

                                                             (That boy nobody knows about)

                                   Yan…don’t worry Yan….I will be with you always… always...’

-           Khouta!! Khouta!! Wake up! I have to go to school! If I’m late ‘cause you won’t get up I’m going to kill you!

The boy opened his eyes and sat up. As he yawned, he rubbed his eyes and looked at the girl who so desperately screamed at him to get up. The girl seemed relieved and went over to the kitchen which was next to the living room where the boy was sleeping. He didn’t do anything but look down and remember that same phrase that was always present in his dreams. He didn’t know who said it, or who Yan was, but it was always there when he slept.

-          Today I have an exam I don’t know anything about… I guess I really should start getting serious in school don’t you think?

Khouta looked at the girl, who was pouring milk, with an expression that she interpreted as him just being sleepy. He stood up and made his way to the kitchen as well.

-           I guess I’m too lazy to do anything about it, but I have to.

By the time she finished saying those words he had already sat down and stared at the milk like a hungry kitten. He looked and looked until he turned towards the girl begging for the milk with his eyes that ironically were more like “puppy eyes”.

-          -Oh… no. you are not drinking my milk. - The boy sighed and disappointedly put his head on the table as the girl drank half the cup. The girl stopped drinking and rolled her eyes.     - Fine…here, you can have the rest…

Khouta smiled like never before and like, a little kid, grabbed the cup with both hands and drank it all in an instant. He put the glass down showing enjoyment in his face, no matter where you looked.

-          I can’t believe your acting like that for a glass of milk! The man said you were a round 17, act like it; besides you could’ve poured a glass for yourself you know?

The boy didn’t answer. He never answers.

-          Hey… Khouta? Can you understand me? You’ve been here 3 months and I’ve never heard you say a word…I feel like I’m talking to myself here….

Khouta stood up right after those words and stood in front of her. He was really tall, especially standing next to her. He bent down until both their faces were at the same height and grabbed her arms. He stared right at her for a few seconds, then shook his head slowly. As if telling her that she shouldn’t feel this way since he was always listening. After that, he went back to the living room and picked up his bag after, changing his shirt and putting on the military boots he always wore. Khouta walked to the door, opened it,  turned back to the girl and jerked his head towards the door telling her go along. Maruko ran towards her bag and then ran out of the house followed by Khouta.

-          I’m going to school now, mom!- She screamed and then  closed the door without waiting for a  reply.

Khouta stood in the corner of the class room, with no fixated objective, until he noticed some girl waking towards ‘Maru’, and in that moment he wouldn’t look anywhere else. The girl’s name was really Maruko, but whenever he would actually speak he would only call her Maru.

-         -Oi, Furukawa… that boy’s been coming to school with you often. Is he your relative?

-           No… he’s…

           ‘Please keep his identity a secret as much as you can’

-           Um…he’s just logging at my place for a while until he finds a place for his own.

-          Oh, your mom actually agreed to that? That’s amazing! He seems older than us, is he?

-          Yeah, by around a year, I think.

-        He doesn’t talk much, but that’s kind of cute. Hey, do you think he has a girlfriend or something? He’s pretty hot to be single.

-           I don’t think so. Trust me, he’s single.

-          Does he even know the language? He looks like a foreigner…actually he looks a lot like…

-          No! I … I don’t know where he’s from, but I’m pretty sure he understands everything he just doesn’t answer for some reason.

-          Well if he looks like him then they might be from the same country. Except for the hair color, but he could’ve just dyed it.

-          Stop…- she said, however; no soul could have heard the low and quiet mutter.

The sensei came into the room;; suddenly everyone was quiet and sited. Khouta looked to sensei and smiled a the man who, surprisingly, smiled back and walked towards the left side of the class.

-          Are you going to join us today, Khouta-san? - Khouta looked to the man, shook his head in disapproval and then jumped to the little area in the class where nobody could reach, except with a ladder. Khouta just needed to jump and he was ready to go. Khouta laid down and went to sleep. -          Yeah, I didn’t think so…. - said the math teacher and then he just continued his lesson as if nothing had happened.

Class was over fast for Khouta, but Maruko sure was glad the day was finally over. It’s not like she could sleep through the whole period like he did every day.

-         - I feel like frozen yogurt or ice cream. Do you want some? - The girl looked at Khouta who as usual did not reply. - Why do I even bother? I’ll buy some for you anyways in case that was a yes, so let’s stop at the convenience store before going home. I don’t have homework anyways so we don’t have to hurry home. School is cancelled tomorrow so the whole Saturday will be free let’s go somewhere in the morning like the park or the movies or something, I don’t feel like staying home …. Oh no, I have at test on Monday…whatever ill study on Sunday.

They stopped at the continence store as she suggested then went straight home.

-ただいま! (Tadaima = I’m home)

-お帰りなさい!丸子ちゃん。子他君。( okaerinasai! Maruko chan. Khouta kun = welcome home Maruko, Khouta) I’m going to go to the supermarket tomorrow do you guys want to come with me?

-          - Huh? But we were going to go to the movies tomorrow…

-        -  Go to the movies in the morning. I’m not going to be home then, you know I have work.

-          そうか。。。(Soka…= I see...)Alright then, we’ll come with!

They both turned around and looked at the boy devouring his ice cream, then burst into laughter. The next morning came in the blink of an eye and the girl was more than ready to leave the house by nine.

-         - You’re kidding right? – The girl exclaimed after entering the living room and finding Khouta still a sleep. She kneeled down beside him and started to shake him violently. - Khouta!! Khouta!! Wake up, Khouta!! We won’t make it in time if you keep sleeping like that!! God…wake… up!!

The boy opened his eyes and looked at the girl with a sleepy face.

-          - Uff! Great you’re up! Now we can…OI!!- Khouta turned around and went back to sleep- YOU JERK!! You seriously are like a cat!- Maruko grabbed his arm and started to pull him to try to get him off the couch- get up… get up…. – she pulled harder and harder every time. Finally, she took a firm stand and pulled with all her strength- Get….KYAAAA! - she pulled so hard she made him fall. That’s what she wanted, but she didn’t want him to fall on her.

-Khouta stood up, stretched and went to the kitchen

-          - 馬鹿!(Baka! = idiot!)-She thought – you could’ve at least helped me up…

The girl stood up and made her way in to the kitchen the same way; stretching and yawning, and noticed the guy just staring at the fridge and looking at her.

-          - Want milk?

-          - 灰。。。(Hai….. = yes…..)

-          - So cute! Alright ill get it for you.

After five minutes of her talking, and little Khouta listening, they left the apartment. They went to the cinema as promised and watched a movie that Khouta didn’t have any specific reactions towards. After the movie they went to have lunch, but Maru felt a little uncomfortable with all those eyes directed towards them.

-I can’t sand this anymore…. I feel so monitored…- she said as she took a bite out of the dangos she was eating. Khouta was having fish. She could hear girls whispers directed towards Khouta; comments like ‘he’s so hot’ or ‘that tourist is really good looking’- and he was. She knew that a guy as tall as him would call a little attention, but this was really starting to annoy her.

- Ne… Khouta… next time, remind me to hide your face, will ya?

Khouta didn’t say anything. He just smiled, as usual, and had another bite from the fish he was so deeply enjoying. They stayed for a while and after she forgot the staring eyes she started a conversation with him. She talked and talked, and as usual he listened to every word she said. Maruko wasn’t really that talkative with other people, but she felt that three months were more like years that she had known him.

-        -  Oops! It’s late, we have to go home before mom get’s …- Maruko’s phone started to ring- moshi, moshi? Oh hi Hinata. Sick? No I’m fine why? EH?!

They took the train home and he rode it all the way back with her head down.

-          - I can’t believe there was school….why? Why?

Khouta looked at her as she sighed

       - Hope my mom doesn’t find out I missed school for a stupid reason like that. She’ll laugh at me for the rest of my….at least I got the chance to spend time with you. Every day you’re always sleeping, like a cat. A huge cat, that calls more attention than you should.

The girl finally put her head up and rested on the back of the chair. She was, for the first time, quiet until they reached home. Fifteen minutes after they arrived, Maruko’s mother opened the door and entered the house.

-          - Mom!

-          - Good afternoon Maruko… where’s Khouta?

-          - Hm? I don’t know… think he went to the bathroom… are you alright?

-          - Of course honey, why?

-          - You seemed a little tired. Was today harsh?

-          - No, no I’m fine. Call him we need to go before the store closes.

-          - Oh, ok. I’ll go see if he’s done.

 When they were done shopping for groceries it was around eleven thirty. They were all in the car going back home when suddenly the car that was behind them bumped into them. Khouta was laying down on the car sit with his head on Maruko’s lap when the strike knocked him off the seat and he fell straight on his face. He got up slowly with a dazed expression

-          - Stay in the car

-          - Ok mom… are you alright Khouta?

The boy nodded as he sat down, Maruko pat his head and looked outside at her mother talking to a man.

-          - Hope my mom’s ok…that man’s pretty scary…

Khouta smiled at her to try to calm her down but soon  got alarmed by the man’s sudden change of tone. He started screaming at the woman as if the whole accident had been her fault. The lady did not raise her voice back at him and this small detail drove the man from his last nerve. Khouta stared at the man in an alarmed way and got closer to the window until the boy started to growl.

-          - Khouta?

The boy did not react to her voice he was feeling the woman’s anxiety and did not move. The man was still shouting at her; the lady did nothing but turn her face to the side and said that if he won’t lower his voice she had nothing to discuss with him. She was a lady and she deserved to be treated like one. The man did not like the woman’s opposition and raised his hand in order to hit her; Maruko got alarmed and screamed out to her mother, but the blow did not reach her body. The woman closed her eyes and turned to the side as a reflex, but found herself in no physical pain. She opened her eyes slowly and  found herself almost kneeling and covering her face with her arms. She looked at her daughter who had her hands on the window and gaped as she turned pale. The woman looked up and found Khouta standing between her and the man; he blocked the blow with one hand and then smiled at the attacker.

-          - Son of a… -

The man put his hand on his pocket and pulled out a knife. The moment Khouta realized theman was, stupid enough, to try attacking once again he added pressure to the man’s fist. The man screamed and fell on his knees but Khouta did not let go for even a second. Two more men went down from the van that’d bumped into them and attacked the boy from the back. He looked back without turning around and dodged the blow bending downwards and threw a kick at the attacker’s stomach causing him to cough blood. The man put his hands on his stomach and fell on the floor. The third man screamed the guy’s name as he landed on the concrete with an exclamation of pain. The last man standing was holding a wrench while grinding his teeth glaring at the kid.

-          - Mother fucker!- he screamed

Khouta didn’t even bother look at him he was too busy torturing the kneeling man to care about that other guy who was possibly just another waste of space. He continued adding pressure until the man’s hand broke. That’s when the other guy moved to attack. Khouta lifted the kneeling man with one arm as he turned around and threw the man at him. Khouta rolled his eyes and went back to the car where Maruko and her mother where sitting. Khouta sat down and put his head on Maruko’s lap after he entered the car. The sirens from the police could be heard from the distance Khouta looked out the window without lifting his head and noticed the girl was trembling. He rubbed his face on her skin and put his hand on her knee. The girl started to calm down and put her hand on Khouta’s head.

-       -   I wish you could tell me to calm down.

Maruko ran her fingers through his hair and Khouta looked down to realize it had been her who had called the police.

-        -  Maruko! Is Khouta alright?

-         - He seems alright.

-          -Good…good.

-          -Mom?

-          -I’m fine. Just… I’m just a little shocked.

Maruko’s mother tried to start the car, but this one time it would not respond. One of the officers knocked on the window; as the woman sighed she rolled it down and watched his partner arrest the men who attacked her. She finished rolling down the window and looked up

-         - Good evening officer…

When they finally got home the mother’s fatigue was visible all over; the woman almost fell down but Khouta was able to catch her and help her to her room.

-        -  You know Khouta, you’ve been my hero twice today. - Said the mother with a -very tired smile, to which the boy replied to with another smile. – But do me a favor and don’t you ever do that again.

Khouta tilted his head to the side and continued walking her to her room when Maruko came in and closed the door behind her. She put the keys on the table and looked toward the hallway, then turned back at the table that had a long stick-like thing wrapped in a navy blue cloth laying on it. The girl sighed and got started after the phone started ringing. Maruko’s mother answered the phone right away.

-        -  Yes? – Maruko could hear her answer while Khouta walked out her room and went towards the main entrance – sick? No, Maruko is fine. Why? Eh?? Maruko!!

Khouta turned fast towards the room and then looked back at Maruko with an expression of worr, to which she responded to with a sigh.

-          -Crap…. - she said as she walked towards her mother’s room.

In the morning Khouta opened his eyes to realize there was no screaming girl next to him. he sat up and looked around felling out of place. He stood up and went straight to the girl’s room. He opened the door slowly and found her sleeping; the girl breathed calmly and the boy put his hand on her forehead then moved it down to her cheeks. Khouta gasped when he felt the tears that had run down during her sleep. He put his hands on her shoulders and woke her up.

-          -Hmm? Oh…Khouta… Gud mornin’ …. Whad…Whad time ish it?

Khouta ran to the side of the room and brought back a small clock form the desk.

-          -It’s that late huh? I’ve never slept ‘till one in the afternoon… ‘s my mom up?

Khouta shook his head.

-          - I see… come on ill make you something to eat and... Um... some… some milk too. My mom! My mom’s tired form the questions the police officer asked. I think… I shouldn’t have called them… but I ... I didn’t  want anything to happen to you… my mom ran to the car but you… you didn’t and then they.. They could have killed you… and… Just when I thought that day couldn’t get any worse I had that annoying dream; it was such a horrible night mare and I couldn’t wake up…

Khouta just stood there listening

-         - Thank you… Khouta… if you hadn’t been there my mom could have gotten hurt. I can’t thank you enough.

The girl finally smiled and Khouta seemed relieved.

-          -I’m going to wake my mom up. Do you think she’s ok? - Khouta shrugged his shoulders; the girl walked alarmed down to her mother’s room. she opened the door to find her sleeping.

-           -Mom? She said low enough to wake her if she slept but loud enough to hear her if she was awake.

The mother turned around slowly and asked what was wrong; when Maruko told her what time it was she jumped out of bed and hurried to the kitchen and found Khouta sitting in his usual spot. She walked towards him and ran her hand from his cheek to under his jaw, causing him to purr, then walked towards the little drawer where she kept the rice.

-          -You know, you don’t have to cook today- Maruko said as she walked in the kitchen behind her.

-                -No, no. I’m alright. Besides, it’s late.

-             - Mom? Did you sleep…at all? - She asked as she put her hand on her arm and got closer to her. Her mother sighed.

       -    No, but it’s alright honey, I’m surprisingly not tired

      -Let’s go out instead; Khouta likes to go out and you deserve a break.

           - I guess you’re right. Let me get changed and well go, by foot… We’re going by foot. You get dressed as well

           - Alright. I’ll get Khouta ready too!

***

As they were walking down the street looking for a restaurant to eat, Maruko’s mother called her “sweetie?”

-          - Yeah, mom?

-          -Why is Khouta wearing sunglasses, a scarf covering his mouth, and a hat?

-          -He usually calls a lot of attention so I covered his face…what?

The mother looked at her with a suspicious face but decided to let it go. Khouta shook off his scarf and then let out a breath of relief. Maruko’s mother snatched the hat off understanding the kid was feeling hot and suddenly all eyes turned towards him followed by giggles.

-       -   Mo~m! great… At least remove his sunglasses too, he looks even hotter with them on.

-       -   Sweetheart, not because girls like him doesn’t mean you have to make him look like an eccentric lunatic during summer.

-          -Mom! We’re supposed to hide him not show him off.

-          -Shh! You’re being loud.

-          -Me or this guy’s looks? Besides, it’s spring.

While they were having lunch Maru noticed eyes on Khouta; she rolled her eyes and rested her head on the palm of her hand. The girl looked down and stared at the guitar case Khouta had started to carry around after the incident.

-         - 馬鹿!  That’s going to call even more attention.

 Maru thought as she continued eating.

When they were home a tall man with dark blue yes, black hair and pale skin wearing a lab coat knocked on the door. Maruko’s mother opened the door and greeted him.

-          -Matsumoto san! Good after noon.

-          -Good afternoon. Is Khouta here? How’s Maruko doing?

-          -Fine, the child’s doing real well.

-          -Khouta?

-          -Oh yes, him too. He’s inside, should I call him for you?

Khouta cam running from the hallway; he stopped when the door was visible and smiled. A smile so big it didn’t fit in his face. The man smiled back and stepped inside.

-         - 語囚人様! (goshuujin sama: it can mean eithe master of lord)-  He exclaimed and got even closer.

The man seemed relieved to see he was alright and lively.

-          -Did anything happen?

-       -   Why mister? - asked Maruko walking down the hallway towards the kitchen and then stopped in front of him with her hands behind her back.

-           -He~y Maruko-chan, how are you doing?

 Maruko didn’t answer and after a while she repeated her question. The man opened his eyes in shock for a second, and then he sighed with a smile. He pulled out a news paper that had a picture of the car incident. Maruko snatched it and read it as fast as she could then turn towards her mother with a rather worried expression.

-          -It’s alright; - said the man- I ran through all the news papers, but his face is not visible in any of the pictures. But, he wasn’t carrying his guitar case in any either, so I got worried. – the man turned towards the lady – I’m sorry; I hope I’m not  bothering you too much, but I  can’t take him back right now... it’s still not safe. I…

-        -  No, no Matsumoto san! We’ve all grown fond of him and we like having him around.

-          -Thank you…- the man turned around and looked at Khouta, who had a sad face while looking at the floor. The man sighed and walked towards the boy.

-          - Khouta… you know I’m not…

The boy didn’t let him finish his sentences, he slapped off the man’s hand he had put on his shoulders and walked inside feeling rejected

The man called him with a tone of desperation but the boy didn’t turn back. He just continued walking and went to Maruko’s balcony. Maru went behind him and found him sitting on the edge of the balcony with his hands crossed hiding half his face.

-          -Khouta? Are you alright?

The boy hid the rest of his face but paid attention to what the girl was saying.

-     -     You know he’s only doing this because he really cares for your safety, otherwise he wouldn’t put so much effort into keeping you safe. He really just wants what’s best for you.

Khouta had heard enough for the first time; he stood on the balcony and let himself fall backwards. He landed on the yard behind Maruko’s apartment building and sat under a tree with the exact same position he had on the balcony.

-         - Just like a cat. - She whispered.

Maruko went inside and saw the man taking his leave. She hurried towards him and grabbed his sleeve.

-          - Are you alright Maruko? - The man asked concerned.

-          - What is Khouta? Why can’t he speak? Why does he need to hide? Why won’t you tell us the truth? I can’t help him like this; I need to, I want to. But if I don’t know anything about him I won’t be able to.

The man looked down as he sighed and nodded his head, they had to know and they had the right to; however, he did not want to share some of the details at the moment.

-         - Alright…

The man sat on the living room followed by the two ladies and started to tell them a story. A story that only answered one and only one question the girl asked. A story of how he found a little boy sitting on the sidewalk under the rain, sad, sick and alone. He told the story of how he found a small boy trembling and scared; so scared that when he bent down the boy backed off as much as he could until he bumped into a brick wall. The man extended his hand to him; after a while the boy accepted the helping hand the man was willing to give to him and took him home.

-        -  I raised him as my son after that but I never thought things would get so complicated. He was severely injured and it was hard for him to walk. But even though this was reality he neglected my piggy back ride, he …. He wanted to be strong and walk home. He rejected any other adult for about a month, but when I gathered the courage to ask what had happened to him in the past he had already forgotten.

The man stood up and left the house.

-          - Mom…..

Maruko went to the yard where Khouta sat motionless, and when he was right next to him she kneeled.

-          - It’s alright you can come up, Matsumoto-san’s gone.

Khouta stood up and went back into the apartment. The woman smiled at him but to her surprise the boy didn’t smile back. He went straight to the sofa and attempted to sleep; Maruko took a step towards the boy but her mother stopped her.

-        -  I think it’s better if we leave him for the night. You go to bed too. You’ve got school tomorrow.

Maruko pouted; she went to sleep and the next day Khouta was already up when she was getting ready for school. His mood didn’t get any better his eyes for the first time were not bright and for some reason they screamed arrogance. Those bright eyes that looked into the future had somehow become dark and beheld the past.

-       -   K-Khouta? Is everything alright? You…- the boy twisted his lip and raised his head while looking at her with the corner of his eye. – Khouta? - He turned around and left the apartment slightly slamming the door behind him.

The girl looked down but she knew as it was there was nothing she could tell him. She grabbed her stuff and left the apartment around ten minutes after Khouta. When she went down the stairs she saw him waiting for her. He had a very violent aura around him and for the first time Maruko was scared. She was scared of getting hurt, she was scared of those eyes…she was scared of khouta. Maruko got shocked after noticing the boy’s eyes on her; he stood up straight while uncrossing his arms and walked towards Maru. She didn’t know what to do; she just stood there paralyzed and trembling. She tightened the grip on her bag as he got closer but she never once dared to look him in the eye. The boy took her bag and carried it as he walked down the small hill and all the way to school. This time he didn’t fall asleep in any of the classes and every teacher was surprised to see the boy attentive. He sat at the back of the room with his elbows on the desk and his hands before his mouth paying attention to every detail and every movement.

-          - Maru-chan … is your friend alright?

-          - I don’t know Hinata … he’s been like this for two days…

-          - And… he’s looking over here….

-          - Turn around then

-          - Khouta-san- exclaimed the teacher – since you’re so attentive today why don’t you try to come and solve this problem?

The class gasped and as Khouta stood up whispers were heard. He walked towards the board and after no more than five seconds of staring at the problem he wrote a number.

-         -  Khouta…- said the sensei again. - do you mind writing down your work?

The kid nodded and started writing.

-        -  Wait, what? How did he get that from that? - Said one of the guys that was sitting in front of Khouta.

-          - What’s he doing? I don’t get it –  said the guy next to him

-          - Khouta….- sighed the teacher – ALL you work

The boy put his head down, looked back up, rolled his eyes and started writing again.

-          - Oh I get it now….

-          -That guy’s actually pretty smart.

Maruko stared at the board and sighed. She just wanted the old Khouta back; she never thought he’d change like that. Maruko went back home by herself for the first time and when she got home she saw her mother hugging Khouta on the couch. He seemed like he was crying and understood he felt truly abandoned.

-    -  It’s alright Khouta… he’ll come for you soon, I promise. He would never abandon you, he loves you too much to leave you behind; I guarantee it.

Khouta's face was on her shoulder while her mother put both her hands on the boy’s head. After she finished saying those words the boy lifted his arm and held the woman grabbing onto her shirt.

-      -    Mom? – The woman turned towards the door to find the girl – is Khouta alright?

-          - I hope so, sweetheart. – Maruko walked towards them.

-          - Khouta…. I'm sorry – the girl whispered.

The boy turned his head toward Maruko and looked into her eyes; the girl smiled after seeing his violent eyes turn back into those innocent eyes she always followed. The mother stood up and went to the kitchen.

-         - Dinner will be ready soon

-          - Ok

Khouta put his head on Maruko’s belly and his hand on her leg. The girl once again ran her fingers through his hair.

-          - Don’t ever do that again…. Don’t become like that, please… - Khouta rubbed his face against her. –That better be a “don’t worry I won’t” –

The night passed quickly after that and in the morning everything returned to normal.

-          - Khouta! Wake up Khouta! I'm going to be late again because of you! Khouta!

The boy opened his eyes and looked at the girl without turning around completely.

-          -Great you’re up! Now we can…OI!! – The boy turned around and went back to sleep. – Khouta! What is this déjà vu? Stop being so lazy…….

They had breakfast as usual and the girl talked and talked and talked, just like always. And as usual Khouta listened with his head on the table looking straight at her. Everything was back to normal, it was just like before.

-          -Good morning class. Khouta-san will you be joining us again today?

Khouta shook his head and went back to his usual spot. The sensei seemed disappointed as he sighed.

-          - I guess not… Maruko come here and write the homework correction

-          -Yes.

School ended slow but Maru was just happy Khouta was back to normal.

-         -  Hey Maruko… - Hinata called discreetly while Maruko packed her bag

-          - Yeah? You’re coming over at four, right?

-          - Yeah, but I was wondering what happened to Khouta

-          - Oh, nothing. He’s fine

-          - Yeah I know, but he wasn’t… he was hotter but he seemed scary

-          - Yeah I was a bit off too, but he was just in a bad mood. He’s fine now….

-          - What’s with the pause?

-          - Can I ask you for a favor?

-          - Yeah sure, anything.

-          - Please wake him up~

-          - Hell no.

-          - Come on! You said anything

-          - Anything, but that.

-          - Sigh…. Fine, fine…

-         -  I got to go. See you at four. – She said as she walked towards the door and waved. Maruko did the same; except that she didn’t walk towards the door but the boy that had started to snore.

-          - You’ve got to be kidding me…. - The girl took a deep breath and climbed on a chair. – Khouta! Wake up Khouta!! Seriously we have to go! Jeez!

-          - Ha-ha! Maruko seriously get some catnip and hell wake up in no time

-          - Yamada! Instead of mocking me why won’t you help? You know, like a normal friend.

-        -   Sorry Maru but that’s too troublesome. Only a boyfriend would kill his brain cells to try to wake him up for you

Yamada answered while putting his hand around her waist. The moment he pulled her closer to him the boy opened his eyes and quickly turned towards them. More specifically towards him; he glared for a while and then jumped down growling discretely. The boy let go of Maruko and raised his hands up to his chest while backing off. Khouta picked up Maruko's bag and walked toward the door; the boy jerked his head signaling Maru to go.

-       -    Well at least he takes care of you? Sorry Khouta, I didn’t know she was taken.

-          - Shut up! – she answered

Maruko picked up her bag and ran out of the classroom followed by Khouta. As usual they stopped by the convenience store, bought the same Popsicle they always had after school and then went back home.

-          Hinata’s late as usual. I shouldn’t have bothered to come home early.

-          - Maruko! – called her mother

-          -Yeah mom?

-          -The water’s ready. Call Khouta so I can help him clean up

-           -But… shouldn’t we wait for that man?

-          - He can’t shower once a month Maruko!

-          - I guess you’re right… fine I’ll go get him…

After a while the doorbell rang.

-         -  Hey Maru-chan. Sorry I'm late.

-          - Its fine; nothing unusual after all.

-          - So mean! I tried to be early you know?

-          - You’re an hour late. 30 minutes late would have been you trying to be early, but an hour means you left your house exactly at four.

-          - Khouta! – Maruko’s mother screamed.

Thumps were heard from the hallway. When Khouta was visible he stopped right in front of the girls. They both looked at him for a while. The boy jumped out of the shower after he heard Hinata and ran to say hello. He was covered in shampoo and soap, and smiled at the girls. Maruko’s mother appeared with a towel and covered the lower part of Khouta’s body. She pulled him back in the shower and closed the door as both girls started to laugh.

-         -  Khouta you can’t run into people when you’re naked. You’ll look like a molester.

-          - ?

The girls were in Maruko’s room reading some magazines.

-          - You’ve got to admit the guy’s pretty hot

-          - Yeah, he’s got good muscles for a lazy idiot that makes me late everyday

-         -  Ha-ha right, you’ve been late ever since he showed up. But sensei is always late so you haven’t been punished once.

-          - One of these days I’ll get in serious trouble if he doesn’t wake up in time…. I should just ditch him.

-          - No that’s mean.

-          - Yeah you’re right

Khouta opened the door and walked in. he didn’t have neither shoes nor a shirt but pants were ok too.

-         -  Hey there Khouta – said Hinata

- The boy sat next to them and took Hinata’s magazine. He started looking through the pages until he reached one that opened up and revealed a big picture of a shirtless guy.

-          - That’s Hibiki Inue, a famous model. I like to call him Maruko’s future husband.

-          - Shut up! I only said he was cute!

-          - And that you’d marry him If he asked

-          - No!

-          -Yes! You said that!

They both stopped talking and turned towards Khouta. He would glimpse at the magazine and then turn to see his own body. After a while he smiled and put the magazine down. Both girls started to laugh

-      -    It’s ok Khouta don’t worry. You’re better looking than that guy I guarantee it. Maybe Maruko will wanna marry you instead.

-          -Hinata!- the boy smiled after she screamed

-          -See? he’s happy!

-          -Stop that!

-          -Maruko, Hinata-chan, Khouta… dinner’s ready

-          -Ok mom, come on let’s go.

 *******

Everything seemed normal again. Everything…..

-        -  Alright class time to start – the sensei looked around – Khouta’s not here today?

-         - Eh? – Maruko looked around. – Khouta? – the girl opened her eyes

An annoying sound became louder

-          - A dream? What… was I dreaming? I don’t remember…. – the girl looked towards the alarm clock – shit! It’s late!

Maruko ran down the hallway pulling up her socks and kneeled next to the sofa

-          - Khouta! Khouta! Wake up Khouta!! Why?! Please! Not today I beg you!! Please wake up!!

-          - Maru- chan?

-          - Yes, yes! Please wake up we have to go!!

Maruko saw that the boy wouldn’t budge and ran to the kitchen. She grabbed a granola bar and left the house. A few hours later the boy came in the class yawning.

-          - Khouta… you know class is over right? You could’ve waited 15 more minutes and I would’ve been home by then.

Khouta sat next to the girl

-          -Hey man that’s my seat- Khouta turned his head and glared at the random boy standing next to him

-        -  Sorry Ichiida he’s not so good with strangers

-         - It’s ok Maruko, not your fault. He can have my seat, class is over anyways.

-          -Khouta you’re not allowed to be mean to Ishiida! He’s one of my best friends! Be nice!

The boy put his head down and then the teacher dismissed the class. Like always they stopped by a convenience store, and bought a Popsicle that they shared, just like they always would. But for the first time when they got home, there was a suspicious looking man standing in front of the building.

-          -Hey there Khouta… how have you been? – Khouta stopped in shock and quickly turned toward the man. He put his hand in front of Maruko and let out an angry growl.

-          -Khouta?

-          -Hey, have you been eating? You seem kinda… off. – The man said as he waved his hand in circles next to his face. He put his hand on the bag he was carrying and pulled out a bag full of blood. – remember Khouta… your body can’t nourish itself from normal food. Are you hungry?

Khouta stared at the bag and bit his lower lip. The moment he started to growl while grinding his teeth When Maruko grabbed his arm, he realized he had to stop. He grabbed the girls arm and rushed inside the building. Khouta threw her in the elevator and entered after her; he reached the corner and sat hugging his knees while breathing heavily.

-          -Khouta are you alright? – She bent down as she spoke and put her had on his shoulder.

Khouta looked at her and focused his eyes on her neck. He swallowed after making an expression of pain then forced himself to look away.

-          -Khouta…- The elevator door opened and Khouta ran into the house.

-          -Hello Khouta- the mother said after seeing him but was surprised to see him get past her so quickly. – Maruko is Khouta alright?

-          -No. – After Maruko explained what happened the mother called the police and the man finally left.

-          -Don’t you think we should call the man too?

-          -No sweetie, he already sent me an email telling me he can’t come until next month; let’s not worry him making him feel forced to come.

-          -But….

-          Look we’re in a safe area, don’t worry about it. He didn’t seem to want to hurt him.

-          -Mom he pulled out a bag of blood! And if that wasn’t bad enough he asked him if he was hungry as if Khouta was some kind of beast!

-          -Maruko….

-          -No mom! Vampires don’t exist! Even if they did, I'm sure Khouta isn’t one! He eats fish with garlic mom! Garlic!

-          -Maruko stop that. Now go to bed its late, where were you anyways?

-          -Fine whatever. I'm going to bed.

-          -Good.

The days went by and everything was normal again…normal, just like before.

-          -Come on Khouta, you’ve got to eat! Its fish, you like fish don’t you?

Khouta shook his head and stood from the table. Food hadn’t been an option for almost two weeks now.

-          -Did he eat?- asked the mother when Maruko walked into the kitchen with the fish.

-          -No…. I don’t know what’s wrong. He hasn’t eaten at all! I'm starting to get worried.

-          -Do you think we should call the doctor? He’s really pale and he’s losing a lot of weight.

-          -Well duh! He hasn’t eaten in two weeks!

-          - I guess I should call.

-          - No mom, Khouta hates doctors. He’ll just get in a worse mood and probably still won’t eat.

-          - I just hope he gets better.

Maruko stood there without answering. She put the plate on the kitchen table and sat down infront of it. “I even got the most expensive one…. I could have sworn he would eat this one…” she though as she stared at the fish. He had always devoured salmon but this time he wouldn’t want to even look at it. 

-          - What’s wrong? ...Salmon’s a no, then?

The next day Hinata approached Maruko with a worried expression.

-          - Hey Maruko… - she called while putting her bag on the desk – is Khouta alright? He’s kind of pale and he looks tired.

-          - No he hasn’t eaten in two weeks. This will be the third one if he still doesn’t. He’s losing a lot of weight to but to be honest... the truth is that he was already getting thinner since before it even happened.

-          -Happened? What happened?

-          -Him not eating; I mean he always ate something and when he didn’t want to he would at least try to finish half the plate. That’s ok; you can’t always eat everything on it, you know? But he for some reason didn’t seem to….be satisfied and he was getting thinner but now he’s losing weight faster than before.

-          -So you’re saying this problem’s been here since before he even got here?

-          -Yes, no, I don’t know... maybe?

The sensei entered and stared at Khouta in shock but after realizing Maruko’s expression he didn’t say anything. He started explaining the lesson but then he got suddenly interrupted by a man slamming the door open. The boy stood up and growled angrily, however he had his tail in between his legs and took a step back every time the man took a step closer.

-          -Wow…. You’re in school? Isn’t this supposed to be too easy and maybe stupid for you? You have a university level curriculum …perhaps even higher.

The teacher stared at the man in confusion. He didn’t know how to react, the man had a gun but he didn’t seem to want to use it.

-          -Come on Khouta don’t leave me here hanging! I feel so ignored!

He put his hand in his bag and pulled out a bag of blood. The exact same one as before; the boy looked at him terrified as the man took a knife and started slicing the bag. The blood spilled on the floor and Khouta, the moment he unconsciously growled, he put his hands over his mouth covering all the way up to his nose.

-          -I'm going to ask you again…are you hungry? – Khouta shook his head with his eyes shut.

The man got close to Khouta in a flash and hit him with the assault rifle he was carrying. The boy landed on the floor and started backing off without standing up.

-          -What? You’re not going to fight me back? Perfect! It’ll be more amusing this way.

The man hit him over and over and over again until Khouta stopped backing away. In that moment he kneeled on top of him and started punching Khouta in the head while holding him from the hair.

-          -Will! – Matsumoto screamed as he bashed into the classroom being held back by other men.

-          -What did you come here for, Akira? You here to kill my fun again? It’s even better than I expected! Look! He’s crying!

-          -You don’t know what you’re doing! Khouta is unstable! Do you have any idea of what might happen?!

-          -I’ll take my risk, buzz kill.

The man continued hitting Khouta with no mercy. He let go of his hair and smashed his face on the floor after every blow. The boy just laid there with his arms wide open without having time to react.

-          -Stop! Please! – The man pleaded. – You’re going to trigger him!

-          -Shut up! I'm doing my job! I wouldn’t have to do this if you just handed him in.

-          -Will, you have to listen to me! Don’t!

The moment he screamed the boy opened his eyes and let out a sound of a furious lion. The hole class was paralyzed.

-          -No…..

The boy slowly turned his head to the man that had stopped punching.

-          -Yan! Don’t stop! – Matsumoto screamed.

He clinched his fist and threw a blow at the man who had attacked him, causing him to fly across the room.

The man let out a scream of pain as he hit the wall with his body. And suddenly a manly voice no one had ever heard came out as the boy stood infront of the man, with his legs opened, and clinching his fists.

-          -Fun? This is fun for you? – said the boy.

Maruko opened her eyes wide. Matsumoto didn’t know what to do.

-          -Yan!

-          “Yan?”

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

121 1 4
"Yokohama? A mission to investigate a lab inside it. Who'll be with me?" A blonde man wearing a blue skin-tight bodysuit that has a Y-shaped symbol o...
6.1K 145 15
Uki, a 24 year old singer, has known his best friend fulgur Ovid since they were kids. When Fulgur moved away for 3 years because of family issues, h...
17.2K 267 49
y/n is a teenager living a pretty s***** life that is until a terrible accident happens, which leads to her death, however she's given the chance to...