A Priestess for the Blind God...

By FaeWhit

"The Blind God walks around me, and I feel my mind prodded again like it was in the cavern, a spider weaving... More

Author's Note
I Need Help Editing
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Four
Chapter Fifty-Five
Chapter Fifty-Six
Chapter Fifty-Seven
Chapter Fifty-Eight
Chapter Fifty-Nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty-One
Chapter Sixty-Two
Chapter Sixty-Three
Chapter Sixty-Four
Chapter Sixty-Five
Chapter Sixty-Six
Chapter Sixty-Seven
Chapter Sixty-Eight
Chapter Sixty-Nine
Chapter Seventy
Chapter Seventy-One
Chapter Seventy-Two
This is Not the End
Chapter Seventy-Three
Chapter Seventy-Four
Chapter Seventy-Five
Chapter Seventy-Six
Chapter Seventy-Seven
Chapter Seventy-Eight
Chapter Seventy-Nine
Chapter Eighty
Chapter Eighty-One
Chapter Eighty-Two
Chapter Eighty-Three
Chapter Eighty-Four
Chapter Eighty-Five
Chapter Eighty-Six
Chapter Eighty-Seven
Chapter Eighty-Eight
Chapter Eighty-Nine
Chapter Ninety
Chapter Ninety-One
Chapter Ninety-Two
Chapter Ninety-Three
Chapter Ninety-Four
Chapter Ninety-Five
BONUS Part 1/3: Festival of Shab (شب) The Festival of Night
BONUS Part 2/3: Festival of Shab (شب) The Festival of Night
BONUS Part 3/3: Festival of Shab (شب) The Festival of Night
BONUS A Child from the Gods
BONUS The Return of the (Rahasian) King
BONUS How I Met Your Mother
Call for Fan Art - Email Below
BONUS: A Fighter from Valentia (Valentine's Day Special)
Sequel Announcement

Chapter Forty-One

3.1K 299 33
By FaeWhit

"Again." Serkan bleeds, staggering from exhaustion. He's been fighting in this arena since dawn. The young boys are frightened, so they fight as hard as they can, fearful of dying.

Serkan would like to die. He's tired enough to accept it with open arms.

But then what about Ode?

Elio sits at the sidelines. General Ibrahim, father of the popular, debonair soldier Arno, is watching his old friend fight against children much younger than him. The general strokes his black beard, frowning thoughtfully as Serkan limps in that arena. Both prince and general are interested in Serkan's fight, but for different reasons.

"Come now, Cleaver!" Elio calls, disgusted by age, of how a hero could decay. Disgusted, but also fearful. Is that his future? Impotence. "These boys will learn nothing if you don't strike fear in their hearts."

Ibrahim steps forward at a nod from Elio. "Fresh bread from the kitchens for the boy who knocks the sword from General Serkan's hand."

The boys, hungry and starved of anything but hardened rice and slimy porridge, surge forward at that. Desperation is a wonderful motivator. Serkan takes the beatings from their dull swords, his elbows and knees trembling as his old war wound pains him. He can't move. This body is a prison.

But old age and experience is one thing the Cleaver has over these desperate young men. He can outsmart them. His experience on the true battlefield guarantees it. Serkan sways to one side and lets two of the boys crash into each other. He knocks the other one unconscious as he watches, dumfounded. The arena is silent, the rest of the boys cowed as they pull their comrades to safety.

Ibrahim smiles. "It's almost like seeing a ghost fight again."

Elio does not return the smile. "Bring in more boys from the villages." He waves his hand. "Patch these useless babies up. They'll have to fight again tomorrow."

"More food, milord?" A young kitchen maid with amber skin and a veil walks in just then, her eyes set on Elio's face. Brazen, isn't she?

Elio waves her away, simultaneously dismissing Ibrahim. He stops staring at that strangely bold kitchen maid, all his attention turned to the prince.

General Ibrahim bows, but before he goes, he turns to look at Serkan's duel again, lost in thought. "I wonder why he asked to be a General again with his war wound. It's folly, fighting when injured like that."

"General Serkan is loyal to the Empire." Elio bites into a date, savoring the sweet flesh. "Perhaps he's trying to make up for having a traitorous witch as a daughter."

General Ibrahim considers the prince. He's heard rumors from the lower servants that the Chosen One hasn't been sleeping well. At the break of dawn, he gets on his hands and knees, crawling toward the window with his arms outstretched. "No, not again, my god. Please, spare me this morning." He screams in pain as the sun touches him. One frightened new maid babbled about rivers of blood running into Elio's skin, of how Cato the Elder burns those tattoos into him each night to imbue holy magic within his blood. Unbearable pain traded for power, pain cleansed from his peeling skin every morning, a bath soaked with rose petals and red.

The Chosen One is chosen indeed.

But at what cost?

***

Hello Champions!

Anyone feel a teensy bit bad for Elio?

Best,

Sophia Whittemore

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3K 29 10
Tropes: Childhood friends to lovers, Soulmates, Twin Flames, she falls first but he falls harder (or is that the case . . .), you complete me, Tragi...
0 0 2
Content Warning: This story contains mature content such as swearing, mild gore, and character death. Viewer discretion is advised. ...
31.5K 3.3K 88
RUMPELSTILTSKIN RETELLING. "I challenge you to find my name, princess. Three tries." Light flickers beneath the recesses of his mask, the wooden fan...
4K 224 19
(Epic Fantasy/LGBT Romance) COMPLETED & PUBLISHING A Guard's Request will be published with Fantastic Books Publishing in October of 2023, but I have...