A Secret Service [NOW PUBLISH...

By joymoment

Now available in paperback! "I LOVE IT!" - CarniaHolmes "I'm going to break your nose, because I don't like... More

Would you look at that cast?!
An author's note. 🙄 Wow, I'm so surprised.
Chapter 1 - "So enters wonder boy."
Chapter 2 - "You really have no boundaries, do you?"
Chapter 3 - "I'm going to break your nose, because I don't like your face."
Chapter 4 - "Owens, do you ever shut up?"
Chapter 5 - "This won't hurt you one bit."
Chapter 6 - "I convey a moody persona?"
Chapter 7 -"Try to keep up, old man."
Chapter 8 -"I never pegged either of you as the skittish type."
Chapter 9 -"You're kind of cute when you're flirting."
Chapter 10 - "Funny one, Carter."
Chapter 11 - "Why did you lie to me?"
Chapter 12 - "There's nothing to say for now, Carter."
Chapter 13 - "I can't ever lose him."
Chapter 14 - "How did you know?"
Chapter 15 - "Why I do favors for people is beyond me."
Chapter 16 - "I prefer a swift punch."
Chapter 17 - "You look nice, Sarge."
Chapter 18 -"Play nice."
Chapter 19 - "How can he be so clueless?"
Chapter 20 - "Get. The. Hell. Out."
Chapter 21 - "People fail you."
Chapter 22 - "You want to crash here on the couch?"
Chapter 23 -"She can't just show up and do this to us!"
Chapter 24 - "You don't have to talk to her."
Chapter 25 - "Were you waiting for us?"
Chapter 26 - "Don't assume you know everything."
Chapter 27 - "You don't have to say it."
Chapter 28 - "I didn't think I would see you again."
Chapter 29 - "You look hot."
Chapter 30 - "How badly did I screw up?"
Chapter 32 - "I know it's not a date, it was a slip of the tongue."
Chapter 33 - "Look, I can't tell you."
Chapter 34 - "Do you ever regret it?"
Chapter 35 - "She knows, Jay."
Chapter 36 - "Does it look like I'm joking?"
Chapter 37 - "Donovan, just talk to me."
Chapter 38 - "Don't punch me if you lose."
Chapter 39 - "I do not want your pity or sympathy."
Chapter 40 - "Let's go find Link."
Chapter 41 - "Split up."
Chapter 42 - "Get out of my way."
Chapter 43 - "You ready?"
Chapter 44 - "Who am I speaking to?"
Chapter 45 - "You got my message."
Chapter 46 - "It doesn't mean it's okay."
Chapter 47 - "Then I can kiss you again."
Just one minute, that's all I ask of you.
Epilogue
NOW PUBLISHED!!
A Secret Service Special Surprise
Chapter 1 (Donovan's POV)
Special Scene Snippets
A Cross-Over Special
The secrets behind A Secret Service
Don't hate me! It's only a cover gallery.
Duck and cover gallery!
Take cover gallery!
The Story Continues!

Chapter 31 - "I said it was fine."

456K 19.6K 13.4K
By joymoment

Carter leaned back in her chair, her crossed ankles resting on the library table. She flung a pencil into the air and watched as it twirled before catching it again. Donovan sat beside her, writing out long, complicated equations. The library was partially empty, students finding other ways to spend their free period. Across from Carter, Link and Maddy's notebooks and textbooks were open and strewn about, but the couple was nowhere in sight. She had no doubt they were in one of the second story rows, exchanging apologies. She flipped the pencil again, then caught it.

"I have a question for you," she said.

Donovan didn't bother looking over at her, and continued writing. "Is there a reason you feel the need to announce it?" he asked.

Carter shrugged and gave the pencil another toss. "No."

"What's your question?" His pencil moved across the paper adding a scratching sound to the few other's that filled the library.

"What is your opinion on Mr. Philips?" she asked.

"Who says I have one?"

"Because you're human, everyone has an opinion on everyone and everything. What is your opinion?"

"Not on everything."

"Try telling the internet and social media that. So tell me."

Donovan glanced at her. "Do you want my opinion or impression?"

"Impression."

"Why say opinion if you meant impression."

Carter held up the pencil. "Just tell me or I will find somewhere to stick this pencil that will be very uncomfortable for you."

Donovan reached and snapped the pencil in two.

"Make a more realistic threat next time."

He turned back to his work and started writing again. She found a new pencil and went back to throwing it.

"Is there a reason why you don't want to tell me your impression?" she asked.

He stilled and stayed motionless for a second. He then turned to her.

"He is a teacher with a vast knowledge on the inner workings of the political system. Teaching was not his first choice of occupation. He was probably black balled from politics and for that, he has a bitterness towards anyone in office. What he did, I don't know and this is merely an educated guess on what I've seen and heard him talk about."

Carter stared at him for a moment and then nodded, resuming her pencil toss.

"That's what I came up with as well."

Donovan shifted back to the desk and continued working. The library settled back into silence, the occasional cough or whispered words breaking it for a moment. Patty moved through the rows pushing a cart stacked with books. Every so often she stopped and replaced a few. Carter's mind spun like the pencil, never seeming to land on a solid point.

"Did Mr. Philips's mood strike you as odd today?" she asked.

"Not in the least. He was in the same mood that he is always in."

"Fine, his mood wasn't odd, but what about his whole speech of Presidents and the weight they hold and their secrets will be found out crap." The pencil spun upward. "That didn't hit you as unusually hostile, even for him?"

She caught the pencil and then let it fly. Donovan straightened and snatched the pencil from the air before she could. She met his gaze and raised an eyebrow.

"Well?" she asked, crossing her arms.

"Well, what?"

"Did his talk of President's transgressions strike you as odd?"

"He was bringing up a valid point."

"You believe that he was correct in what he said?"

Donovan gave a single nod. "I do. Men in leadership positions should be held to a higher standard for the mere fact that their mistakes, if ever made public, could cause a lot of unnecessary problems. In this day and age, nothing stays secret."

"You think eventually the truth of," Carter nodded her head towards the other side of the desk and Link's open backpack, "will come out?"

He gave the library a quick sweep. No one was within a five yards of them but still he lowered his voice.

"I don't know. For his sake, I hope it never comes out. But there are enough people who have problems with Presidents, that it might come out. For now, no one knows and he is safe."

"Do you think if someone knew they would try to act on that knowledge?"

He tossed his pencil onto the table, resigning himself to the conversation. "It depends on the person and what sort of history they have with the president or against him."

She gave a thoughtful hmmm and grabbed another pencil, resuming her previous occupation.
"Do you think anyone here knows?" she asked.

Donovan leaned back in his chair, placing his laced finger behind his head.

"As far as I'm aware? No, no one besides you."

She pursed her lips, skeptical. He looked over at her.

"What?" he asked.

She shrugged and shook her head. "Nothing."

"Carter," he said, dragging out her name.

She caught the pencil and held it, looking at him.

"You don't think Mr. Philips possibly knows?"

"What is with this interest in Mr. Philips?"

"I'm making conversation," she said.

"No, you're making speculations."

"Fine, I'm making speculations. But I don't think they are unfounded."

Donovan crossed his arms and stared at her, his expression voicing his skepticism. Carter held up her hands blocking his thoughts.

"Just listen," she said. "When he was talking about transgressions he looked at Link."

"He's a teacher, he looks at everyone while he is talking."

"When you first arrived, he was surprised to see Link. Doesn't that strike you as something?"

Donovan studied her for a long moment, his eyes narrowed.

"Do you feel the need to give everyone ulterior motives or dark secrets?"

"Only those who actually have them," she said. "I was right about the both of you, wasn't I?"

"Now that that mystery is solved, you find the need for a new one, is that it?"

Pulling her legs off the table, Carter dropped her chair to all fours and twisted on the seat, looking at Donovan.

"I'm not out to solve some mystery. I could care less whether Mr. Philips has ties with Russian mafia. What I care about is what I saw and heard and whether it holds any weight."

"That's all you want to know?"

"Yes."

He gave a slow nod. "Alright, I understand that. The thing is, there is not a lot he could do even if he did know."

"You mean besides expose Link and the President."

He gave a careless shrug and waved his hand. "How?"

"Documents."

"There are no hard copies that tie them together."

"Even money?"

"They're run through different channels."

"Photos of Link."

"What would that prove? One, there are ways to alter photos so no one could completely believe it. Two, you have a lanky kid with brown hair and glasses, who vaguely looks like his father when he isn't wearing them."

Carter crossed her arms, a determined look coming into her eyes.

"Photos of them together," she said.

Donovan raised a patronizing eyebrow. "Need I remind you he hasn't seen him since we've been going here and even if he had, there is no possible way to get those pictures. I don't know the destination until half an hour before hand. The places have all been enclosed and impossible for snipers to get a clear aim, how could he?"

Carter sat quietly, running through every possible scenario she could but found counter arguments for each one. Donovan watched her, a quiet smile on his lips. When she came out of her head, the smile disappeared, replaced by his normal impassivity.

"Come up with anything else?" he asked.

"Yes, but for it to work Mr. Philips would have had to had military training."

"Which he doesn't have."

"Which he doesn't have," she echoed.

She went silent again, looking down at the floor then back up at Donovan, hints of worry in her eyes. A frown touched his forehead at the look, trying to find the thoughts behind it.

"He's safe?" she asked.

He relaxed and he nodded. "He's safe. Even if something happened there is always the school's Safe Room."

They didn't speak, Carter looking into the library, while Donovan looked at her.

"What brought this on?" he asked.

His voice pulled her attention back to him. She shrugged, forcing herself to seem unconcerned. She opened her mouth but he raised his hand.

"If you're going to lie to me, just don't say anything."

She let out a quiet chuckle and dropped her gaze, grinning at the floor.

"I know it sounds crazy," she said, "but I care about him and don't want him to get hurt."

"It's not crazy."

She looked at up him, holding in a laugh. "For you maybe, but the sensation is something new to me. If you haven't noticed, I don't have any friends to spare."

"True, but the ones you have aren't going anywhere. At least not for now."

She didn't say anything, all her thoughts conveyed in the small smile she wore.

"What brought your father here, today?" he asked.

She waved her hand in a flippant gesture. "Oh, some signal going out or other. It was a glitch, that's all."

He nodded and crossed his arms. "How is he doing?"

"Good. The sling came off the other day. Physical Therapy is starting up today and the doctors say that with his heath and age that he should be fully recovered in three months. Honestly, I'm just happy that he is still behind a desk for now."

"Will he be there for long?"

She gave a wry chuckle. "Hopefully, for the rest of his time in the service."

"How much longer does he have?"

She let out a low breath, as if the time were a physical weight that she always held with her.

"About four months."

Donovan studied her as a myriad of emotions played across her face, the final one being worry.

"What does he plan to do afterwards?" he asked, trying to tear her from her burdening thoughts.

"I don't know, but something where he's not taking bullets for someone else. He has mentioned taking up a training post in the navy seals, but he hasn't settled on anything yet."

"Well, I'm glad he is recovering."

She smiled at him, accepting his sincerity. The rattling of wheels caught her attention and she looked away from Donovan. From one of the rows, Patty stepped out with a half empty cart. She moved towards their table, heading to the other side of the library. A thought struck Carter.

"Patty," she said, barely needing to raise her voice in the quiet.

Patty redirected the cart and stopped in front of the table. She gave Donovan's leaned back position a single glance. He lowered the chair and crossed one ankle on his knee. Carter shifted forward, resting her arms on the table.

"Patty, do you know how long Mr. Philips has been at the school?"

Donovan shot her a look but she ignored it, focusing on the thoughtful looking librarian.

"Mr. Philips," she said, her voice distance as her mind sorted through its thoughts. The right memory clicked into place and both Carter and Donovan saw it as it sparked. She smiled at them. "He started working here about five years ago. I remember because it was the fall when Douglas was announced as the next President."

"Really?" Carter asked.

"Yes. Why?"

She shook her head and slid back in her chair. "No, reason. Just curious."

Patty moved on and Carter was left with Donovan and his very loud thoughts. She looked at him.

"I was merely curious," she said. "It just makes your point more clear. He couldn't have even known about Link if he was out of politics by the time Douglas was getting elected."

"Are you happy now?"

Carter thought about it, and nodded though doubts tugged at her mind.

*********************

Carter pushed through the door and into the chaos of the deli. A family, seemingly made of up young boys, were the source of the clamor. Other customers gave the family looks while debating whether on staying or packing their food up and heading out. Carter walked over to the counter, where Maggie stood writing on a small notepad.

"Hey," Carter said.

Maggie looked up and offered her a tired smile. "Hey girly."

Carter gave a nod to the crowded tables. "You too busy to talk?"

At the question, a part of Maggie's weariness seemed to melt away.

"Actually, I need a break and you are a perfect reason to take one." Carter looked down at the ground, scuffing her shoes on the floor so Maggie didn't see the smile and how much her words affected her. "I'll grab cookies. Find a table. I think the booth in the back is open."

Carter nodded and headed over to it, dodging shouts and called names as she went. She slid in, moving over to the window. The sun was starting to shift, yawning and edging it way towards sleep. Maggie laid a napkin and a cookie before her, then slid in across from her. She let out a breath and sank into the booth.

"Long day?" Carter asked.

Maggie widened her eyes and then chuckled, the sound warming their corner.

"It wasn't too bad just constant. I'm ready to be off my feet though."

"You should come over to the apartment tonight. We could watch something," Carter said.

"A romance?" Maggie teased.

Carter gave her a flat look. "Or I could teach you how to assemble a gun."

"Don't worry, Steve has already taught me."

Carter's eyebrows shot up. "When did this happen? That wasn't what you were doing last Saturday was it?" She put her elbow on the table and rested her chin in his hand. "You never did tell me what you were doing over so late."

Maggie gave her an unamused look. "I was spending time with a friend as he waited for his daughter to come back from a party. Her first party, I might add. He doesn't know how to handle you going off. This is uncharted territory for him. I was giving him moral support."

Carter leaned back and broke her cookie in half, looking at Maggie with a half consoled smirk.

"Sure," she said. "If that's the story you're going for. We'll see what Captain says and whether your stories line up."

Shaking her head, Maggie laughed. "Grown ups can be friends."

"Alright, but know he is now a free man and won't be available forever."

"I'm willing to debate that, you're his daughter. I'm not sure any woman could come within ten feet of your father without you interrogating them."

"Then you have already made the cut, you should use that to your advantage while you can."

Maggie's smile slowly slipped and her eyes took on a serious glint. She leaned forward on the table, staring intently at Carter.

"Hun, you understand that I care for you and your father deeply, right?"

"That was never in question."

A piece of Maggie's smile returned. "Then know that I put the both of your happiness first. Your father is not in the place to be with anyone, not with what is happening with your mother."

Carter sank back further and nodded.

"So joking or not, know that I will do nothing about this. Not until he is in a place for it. As well as you are in a place for it."

"I am in a place for it. You can date Captain whenever you want. You have my approval."

Maggie landed a hand on Carter's, the smile coming home.

"I'm happy to hear that."

She pulled her hand back, and prompted her chin on her fist. "Now, you never told me all about the party. And how it went with Donovan."

"Yes, I did. I said it was loud, crowded and full of unintelligible drunk high schoolers. What more did you need?"

"You didn't say how it went with Donovan."

"We didn't go together in that sense."

"Still, you like him, right?

Carter shook her head, like the question was completely stupid.

"Do I prefer his company over the majority of the male populace at school? Yes. But do my hormones go into overdrive as my logical side takes a nap when he is around? No."

Maggie grinned and did a small dance, seeming like a girl best friend rather than a motherly figure.

"You do like him," she teased.

Carter rolled her eyes and fought viciously to keep her smile in check.
"Did you not hear what I said? I don't like him. He just doesn't make me feel like punching him every time he opens his mouth."

"Oh I heard what you said. But my hearing is selective and I translate things differently."

"That is obvious."

"What I heard is you found a man that meets your standards."

Carter crossed her arms and scoffed. "I don't have standards."

"You do girly, your father set them and no one will ever meet them. But it seems Donovan is getting close."

Carter did smile at that, thoughts of Donovan reading her, knowing how to defend himself and able to assemble gun under a minute coming to mind. Maggie gave a bright immature giggle and playfully slapped Carter's arm.

"I see that smile," she said.

Carter scowled and pulled her arms out of range. "That was for no reason at all."

Maggie settled back in her seat, her smile becoming more reserved, though her eyes still beamed with mischief. "Alright, that smile was for nothing."

Carter ate the rest of her cookie so her face wouldn't betray her anymore than it already had. Someone called out to Maggie, ending her break. Before leaving, she gave Carter a quiet smile.
"I'm glad you are letting people in," she said. "Even if it's just to the level where you aren't inclined to punch them."

Carter chuckled and remained seated as Maggie slipped out. After awhile she left the deli with a wave to Maggie. When she got to the apartment her father's car was in the driveway. She bounded up the steps and shouldered the door open. He father sat at the kitchen table, his suit jacket hanging over a chair and his face wearing a look of fatigue.

As the door slid shut, he looked up and forced his expression to clear. Carter frowned, trying to read what the look had meant. She walked over to the table, dropping her bag on the floor. She sank into a chair.

"Are you okay?" she asked.

Her father straightened and nodded. "Of course, I'm fine. How was school?"

"Fine. You sure?"

"Sarge, I'm fine."

She nodded but wasn't convinced. With a slightly puzzled look, she crossed her arms.

"Did you get everything worked out at the school?" she asked. "Was it a glitch?"

"Yes, we believe so. We are sending in a tech to double check."

"Was that the only reason you were there?"

"What other reason would we have?"

Carter shrugged. "I just don't see why there needed to be three of you for a simple check up job."

Her father gave a low chuckle and shook his head.

"We were also checking the security tunnels and updating something in the system," he said.

"Which was...?"

"None of your concern."

Carter sent him a challenging stare that he met. After a moment she nodded in submission.

"How did physical therapy go?" she asked.

Her father stood and moved to the kitchen.

"It was fine," he said.

Carter twisted in her chair, looking at his back.

"What's wrong? Did everything go alright? Nothing bad has come up, has it?"

Without turning around, he answered. "Sarge, I said it was fine."

"You might have said that but your body language said otherwise. Captain, what's going on? Everything is alright, right?"

"Carter." The word wasn't shouted but with curt tone which it was spoken it might as well have been.

Carter sat stunned, feeling as if someone had punched her heart. Her father let out a breath and ran his good hand through his hair, without looking at her.

"I said it was fine," he said, his voice quiet.

Carter didn't respond. She shifted in her chair and pulled her bag onto the table. Mutely, she took out her notebooks and homework. Her father turned around and watched her, his weary expression returning. Silence seemed to weigh down on them, the echo of his last words lost, smothered under the lack of sound.

"I have some calls to make," her father said. "I'll be in my room. You want to eat after?"

Carter paused in her organization of her work.

"Eat without me, I'm not that hungry."

With a nod and weary sigh, that made no sound, her father walked away. Carter stared blankly at her notes as she heard the click of her father's door closing.

**********************************************************************

Nutella Strawberry!
(Okay, can we all please admit that has to be the best ice cream in the world?! And I haven't even had it!)

First things first! How do we think the Darter ship is going so far?

(I wish I could sit next to a hot guy while he does homework. *sighs*)

So basically Maggie admitted she loves Captain! How happy are we about that?

Okay, what do you think is up with Captain?

(I don't know about you, but I have a bad feeling about this.)

The emoji that best describes you and your personality? (This is mine 😄)

Emojis to describe one event in your week or just your general week? (Be creative!)

Can you guess my one thing?
(📺⚡️🏃🏻⚡️🙈😄😍❤️)

One thing that you would change in this world? It can be huge or something really small.

(I would make the whole world constantly clean, because I feel like that would generate a happier environment  for everyone which would lead to less fights. Besides things being clean make me really really happy. It's why I like DC it's the cleanest city EVER!)

وقت السؤال
(Arabic) This question is from the mysterious TheMythicalPanda : Are you this awesome in real life?

Answer: 😂 Well, that's hilarious that you would think me awesome. To be honest I have no clue. Is my personalty the same as my author's notes? That is a definite yes. So whether you translate that as awesome or just plain odd is up to you, but yes, this is me.
(Someone please start singing the Camp Rock song. Please oh please oh please!!!)

⭐️💬🏃🏽‍♀️🏃🏽‍♀️

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

496K 17.5K 37
BOOK 1 C O M P L E T E D U N D E R E D I T I N G I quickly ran into a random room and locked the door behind me. Breathing heavy Sweating Scared "...
5.2K 540 36
The one who has eyes on her. The one who is hiding from him. The one who needs her. The one who lusts her. The one who cares for him. The one who pro...
332K 11.1K 52
"I need you to stop bullying Reese." Oh, so it was because of her friend. "I-I will do anything, just make it stop." Her eyes softened along with her...
230K 13.7K 38
"So, let me get this straight. You stomped all over his paperwork?" She started. "Not intentionally, but yes," I confirmed it. "Threw a drink in hi...