Drop of Magic (Malec)

By thespilledpoet

And in that moment I realize I feel no regret. This is one moment I never want to leave, but also one I'll ne... More

Taken Interest
Not Irrelevant
Perfect Moments
Pancakes and Honesty
Old Wounds and Alcohol Don't Mix
Hangovers Suck
Partners?
Controlled Alcohol Makes Dates Better
Blissful Mornings
Movie Nights and Moving
Shopping Can Be Fun
Mario Kart and Max
For Us
Becoming a Lightwood
Good News and Bad News
Two Months
Falling, Hard
I Love You
Drop of Magic (Epilogue)
(Author's Note)
Bonus Chapter (1) Elevator Stays and Rainy Days
Bonus Chapter (2) Not The Wedding You Were Expecting
Bonus Chapter (3) Pack My Bags
Bonus Chapter (4) Our Magic
Bonus Chapter (5) Little One
Bonus Chapter (6) Mess ups and Make ups
Bonus Chapter (7) Starting Over
Bonus Chapter (9) Lucky
Bonus Chapter (10) It's Christmas!

Bonus Chapter (8) First Halloween

1.4K 78 17
By thespilledpoet

A/N: Remind me to never doubt you guys. Thanks for 8k! In time for Halloween, so here's the first seasonal bonus chapter.

Just a side note: I fell in love with this cute plot so I went back into The Bonus Chapter "Little One" and changed the month that Cleo was born from July to April to enable her to be old enough to crawl, etc.

***

(Magnus POV)

You know that exact moment when you realize how out of shape you are? I just hit it.

I rest my hands on my knees, bent over and gasping for air as I watch Alec chase Cleo around as she giggles and weaves around the living room on hands and knees. Her tiny gold wings catch the pale light, dark hair puffed up on top of her head. The small green dress she's in fits her like a glove, hand sewn by Aunt Izzy. My adorable Tinker Bell.

And damn that husband of mine. He's not even breaking a sweat, running and dipping and tickling and laughing while I can barely breathe.

But it's a sweet kind of death, honestly. He looks more handsome than ever before as he picks our daughter up in his arms, a chorus of the most beautiful laughter echoing through the house between the two of them, tangling me up within their hold.

Carrying Cleo, Alec, sporting a euphoric grin and gleam in his charming eyes, walks over to me.

"A little out of shape there, daddy?" Alec snipes with a coy wink, making me blush and grumble incoherently as I force myself to stand straight and reach out for my daughter.

"Your father has no respect, Cleopatra. None at all." I comment simply as I kiss her forehead, warranting an impromptu cuddle session with my daughter.

"Are you ready to head out?" Alec asks, checking the time. Still early, only 4:30, but the sooner we get the little pumpkin out and back home, the better.

Did I mention how gorgeous Alec looks?

No?

Well, allow me.

My adoring husband was adamant that he would not be dressing up to take Cleo trick-or-treating. I was adamant he was.

If history repeats itself, I'm sure you can figure out who won that discussion.

Anyway, I love Halloween. And as my first Halloween with a family, I wanted to go all out.

And that's how this came to be. Alec stands before me, hands on his hips, clad in, get this: leaves. I've managed to get the boy dressed as Peter Pan, with a hat to top it all off. He looks flawless.

I went a bit more classy, sporting a red suit and a pirates hat, a shiny faux metal hook on my hand. I think Alexander is still a little miffed at the fact that I get to be fully clothed. But no matter, he has the body for it anyway. And he's whipped. So there's that.

"I'm ready to go. Have you heard from Jace and Clary yet?" I ask, shifting Cleo to my hip carefully and grabbing her green cardigan, letting Alec help me slide it on and tuck it beneath the wings.

"Yeah, we're going to head to their house and leave from there." I nod and smile at Alexander, earning an eye roll and a grin back before he pecks my cheek and grabs the green candy bag decorated with leaves off of the table (another one of Izzy's ideas).

We make our way out to the car, thanking the angels that the October air hasn't turned too cold yet, and buckle Cleo into her car seat. The entire way there, I can't help but turn in my seat and smile at her, in awe of this little life we have, her dimples and mile long smile.

When we pull up to Jace and Clary's, I can see through the living room window that they're almost ready to go. Alec parks the car and steps out, grabbing the diaper bag and candy bag as I unstrap a very giggly, excited Cleo from her car seat.

Once they exit the house, I can see their costumes right away.

And it's adorable.

Clary is dressed in a long black dress with fake blood dribbling from false holes in her neck, fangs poking out from her mouth.

Jace is dressed sharply in an all black ensemble with a dark maroon cape, red contacts in and fangs in his own mouth.

And little Orion is dressed as a sweet little bat, tiny wings poking out from his back, ears on his head, and fangs in his own mouth.

"You guys look amazing," Alec compliments, stepping forward and kissing Clary's cheek before hugging his brother and nephew.

"Thanks, Pan," Jace teases, earning a slight glare and grumble from Alec.

"Oh my goodness, Cleo looks so sweet!" Clary coos, taking my baby in her arms and kissing her sweetly. Cleo cups Clary's face in chubby palms and giggles, kissing all over her Aunts face.

Having come from a place where family didn't really exist, this means more to me than I think anything. This atmosphere of love and compassion, this place of home.

"Ready to get going? These kids will tucker out quick." Jace comments, patting Orion's backside in emphasis as the small boy bats playfully at Jace's shoulder.

"Yeah, let's head out."

A couple of hours later, the candy bags are overflowing and the babies are falling asleep. Cleo rests in the hollow of my neck, face tucked into the skin there and hands woven into the collar of my suit. Orion is barely keeping his blue eyes open, having opted to be carried by Jace now that he's tired instead of walking. The streetlights are beginning to click on, and it's about time to head home.

"Are you guys going out tonight?" Clary asks, taking Orion from Jace as he fumbles for their house key. I look at Alec fondly.

"No, we're going to lay low tonight." I reply simply, patting Cleo's back as she shifts. Jace cocks a brow in disbelief, but Clary smiles softly.

"You've matured quite nicely there, Magnus Bane." She compliments, earning a bashful smile from me.

But it's true. Just a couple of years ago, I wouldn't be caught dead at home on any holiday, especially Halloween, but now, with Alec and Cleo, it doesn't seem so out of reach. Staying at home with the two people I adore most seems far more appealing than going to or throwing a big party. Not to say we don't still throw our fair share of get togethers, but now, they're for a better reason.

They don't exist purely to soothe my loneliness. Now they're really to celebrate, and that difference alone speaks volumes to just how much Alexander has changed my life.

After we say goodnight to our family, I strap Cleo into her car seat and we make our way through downtown Brooklyn back home.

Alec flicks the light on and I follow him upstairs to the nursery, humming softly to Cleo as I do.

The grey pretentious rocking chair and puffy purple stool occupy one corner and I smile whenever I see it. Walking over to the changing table, I get Cleo ready for bed, opting out of a bath tonight in favour of letting the little munchkin get her much needed rest.

Once she's laid in her crib, Alec and I make our way back downstairs, sitting cross legged on the floor with two glasses of wine and a cliche horror movie playing in the tv.

"Tootsie roll?" Alec asks, picking one out of the bag and twirling it between his thumb and forefinger.

"Hmm, sure," I reply, taking it and watching as Alec dumps some of the candy onto the coffee table.

"I had fun tonight," I add, grinning at Alec in his leaves and silly costume. He rolls his eyes, yet smiles, reaching out with his free hand to capture mine, still, after all this time, sending waves of electricity through me.

"So did I, Bane." He replies, popping a candy into his mouth. I set my wine glass down and lean back against the couch, turning to rest my head against Alec's shoulder.

It may not be exciting or scary. I'm not drinking until I can't stand, or partying with all those crazy people I normally see. But it's my sort of perfect now.

Sort of.

I still like the typical Halloween spook. And I know Alec is a sucker for anything.

Cuddling in a bit more, I click the button in my pocket connected to the lights. With a sharp fizzle, the electricity goes out.

Alec jumps beneath me, gasping and gripping the pillow in his lap.

"Oh! Maybe it started to storm outside," I muse, sitting up and looking around us, the pale moonlight barely lighting up the room.

"There's no way. It was so nice out just an hour ago. What happened?" I can hear the faint panic in his voice and I reach out, finding his hand.

"Don't worry, I'm sure it's nothing. Come on, I'll go check on Cleo, maybe go out to the garage and check the breakers?" I suggest, standing and pulling him with me. I barely see the rise of his Adam's apple in the darkness as he swallows thickly and nods.

"Alright. I'll be right back." I chuckle at that and lean forward to kiss his cheek.

"Have you never seen a scary movie? Never say 'I'll be right back'. The white guy that says that never comes back."

"Shut up, Mags. Not funny." He complains, turning the flashlight on his phone. I laugh to myself as I click my own flashlight on and head to the stairs.

I hear the door to the garage shut and I shake my head, grinning as I make my way up the staircase, every fourth or so floorboard creaking slightly.

As I knew she would be, Cleo is fast asleep, sprawled out on her back contently, a spit bubble working at her lips.

Carefully closing the door behind me, I creep back downstairs, hearing a very non manly scream from the garage.

Laughing, I make my way down there, assuming Alec just startled himself. I didn't plan anything else to scare him. All I did was mess with the lights, I'm not that mean. Suddenly, he runs back in, tripping over his own feet and pale faced.

"Alec? Darling, what's wrong?" I ask, confused as I jog forward to meet him. He slams into my open arms, chest hitting mine as his hands cling to my suit jacket, trembling.

"I...I saw something." He confesses meekly, glancing back over his shoulder at the open garage door.

"Shh, dear, I'm sure your mind was just acting up. There was nothing there." I console him, rubbing his back. Fervently, he shakes his head.

"No, Magnus. I saw it. I promise you, it was big and it ran in front of me. It's out there, Magnus, I swear." Furrowing my brows, I smooth his hair back and pull away gently.

"I'll go take a look, wait here." He reluctantly lets go of my sleeve as I shine my light toward the open door, cautiously walking forward.

Taking the couple of steps down into the garage, I pan the light around me.

And suddenly, I see it.

It darts forward, coming straight for me.

There's no other choice but to accept my fate now.

With nowhere to turn, I resign to it, looking straight at the creature.

I open my arms, laughing as Chairman Meow leaps into them, climbing up onto my shoulder.

Still laughing, I 'fix' the lights and head back inside, locking the garage door.

Needless to say, Alexander has his arms crossed, looking less than amused.

"That...no. That's not what I saw." He explains, but I can tell he's covering his ass. And what a nice one it is, leaves suite him.

"Oh? Then what was it, Love? Enlighten me." I humour, stroking the Chairman's fur as I walk closer to Alec.

"I don't know, but it definitely wasn't the Chairman." He defends, practically huffing in annoyance.

"Oh, don't worry, Alexander dear, I definitely won't tell all of your family and friends how you scream like a child. Or that you're scared of the dark. Or how a tiny little cat terrified you and you cowered in my arms dressed in a leotard as Peter Pan." I smirk, letting the Chairman hop down onto the couch.

"You wouldn't dare." Alec challenges, looking slightly concerned.

"Wouldn't I?" I tease, reaching for a candy.

"Mags, come on," He starts to reason, stepping forward. I can only laugh.

"I won't tell anyone," I confirm, unwrapping a mini Mars bar. He sighs in relief, dropping his arms to his sides. "Yet." I tack on, popping the candy into my mouth and grinning.

Alec groans and rolls his eyes, heading toward the stairs.

"I'm going to change out of this dreadful costume," he explains, looking down at himself in disgust. I feign a pout, making my way towards him.

"But I like it," I whine, running my hands over the leaves, making the false green pieces ruffle beneath my hands. I can see the blush rise up his cheeks and have to fight a triumphant grin.

"I hate it," He argues, shifting slightly.

"Well, I'm sure I can give you a hand..."

"You're insatiable, Bane," my husband complains as he winds his arms around my waist.

"Hmm, we'll see about that," I counter smoothly, backing up towards the stairs.

Alec groans in anticipation and follows my movements, a smirk playing at the corners of his perfect lips. "I love Halloween."

***

A/N: Happy Halloween you awesome people. I hope you have a spooky, fun, night and eat lots of candy!

I also hope you enjoyed this short chapter. It wasn't much, but I really enjoyed writing it for you.

- Sierra

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10K 403 16
"I just hated him, the totally attractive and totally stupid him. That perfect smile he would always flash out like life was peaceful and there weren...
56.4K 3.3K 65
[COMPLETED] "Please, don't go, Magnus." Alec said imploringly as a tear ran down his cheek. "I need you." he said. I swallowed hard and tried not to...
384K 11K 200
In which I write short gif imagines for the shadowhunters characters. 𝐒𝐡𝐚𝐝𝐨𝐰𝐡𝐮𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐬 𝐆𝐢𝐟 𝐒𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬 𝐂𝐨𝐦𝐩𝐥𝐞𝐭𝐞𝐝
41.1K 791 16
___________________________ "Why are you here?" ". . . I don't know." ___________________________ [IN THE EDITING PROCESS] Echo Lightwood is a girl w...