BEYOND THE LIGHTS «j.p.»

By CullenKing

Rio has become an overnight sensation, with his amazing voice, banging songs, and perfect bad boy bachelor st... More

introduction
characters
why you wanna fly
you ain't ever gonna fly
all the tears you're gonna cry
mama's name was lonely
daddy's name was pain
little sorrow
you'll never love again
no one to hold you
no one wants you anywhere
author's note

no place big enough

4K 227 67
By CullenKing

Los Angeles, 2017

Rio stares out of the floor to ceiling windows that overlook downtown Los Angeles, the sky has long since morphed from the pink and orange hues of the setting sun into the inky blackness of the dark night. Daphne sits next to him, tapping her fingernails against the glossy, oak table, anger weeping through her. They were alone in the meeting room for now, awaiting the record label executives.

"You know what this is about, don't you?" Daphne asks him, breaking the angry silence she had created as soon as she and Rio stepped into the room. "This is about that show you put on up on the balcony last night."

Daphne glares at him, though he doesn't look at her, he just continues to stare out of the large windows that line the outside wall. He knows it makes her angrier, and maybe that's why he does it.

"You better hope this isn't bad." She growls between gritted teeth. "Because if it is, I swear to you I'll—"

She doesn't have time to finish her threat, though Rio is sure it's one he's heard before, because the door opens and the executives, donning their usual business suits, waltz into the room with an air of power and control.

That's what Rio hated about this. The people who ran the music business didn't know or give a damn about good music, all they cared about were numbers.

"I'm sure you're wondering why we called you in on such short notice." One of them says as they take their seats across the table from Daphne and Rio.

"It has crossed our minds, yes." Daphne says, shooting one sideways glance at Rio before turning her eyes back to the executives. She had turned on her business-mode now, one of the many masks that she wore on a daily basis, and one of the many reasons that Rio was growing to loathe her.

"Well," another says, and Rio thinks his names is Charlie, but he can't quite remember, "as you know, the...incident..." he gives a pointed, almost cautious look at Rio, "that occurred on last night has been on every major news station, gossip site. I mean, somehow Perez Hilton live-streamed it as it was happening."

Daphne keeps her composure, but Rio notices the one hand that's beneath the table ball into a fist, and he knows that he has it coming as soon as this meeting is over.

"To keep this short," the first executive says, "it's bad for business, it's giving bad credit to Rio's name, and we're not comfortable with releasing the album underneath this public scrutiny."

"What?" Daphne asks, looking at each of them in turn, giving them all the same incredulous look. "You can't be serious. Whatever happened to the saying 'all press is good press'?"

"Not for our record label it's not." Charlie says, his tone unforgiving. "And not when it's wasting my money. We'll wait for this to pass before we move forward with the release."

"And what if it doesn't pass? What if this looms over his head for the rest of his career?" Daphne asks.

"If that happens, he won't have to worry about a career. He won't have one." Charlie finishes, giving them a look before they all stand up and unison and walk out.

As the door closes, Daphne stands up, pacing the floor and running her fingers through her hair. "I can't believe this." She whirls around and looks at Rio, moving to stand closer to him and pointing a finger in his face angrily. "This is not going to happen to us because you made one stupid mistake!"

Rio stares at her, wants to scream and tell her that it wasn't a mistake, that he wanted to do it, that he still wants to do it, even if the first attempt might end his career. Their career.

"You're going to fix this." Daphne says, standing up and starting to pace again. "You have to fix this, or else everything that we've worked so hard to achieve will just be gone down the drain. Is that what you want?"

Yes.

"No," Rio says softly.

"Great." Daphne says. "Now, here's how we're gonna do it. We gotta get more press out there, get people talking about something else."

"Like what?" Rio asked, because he wasn't quite sure what scheme his mother was cooking up now, but he already knew that he wouldn't be fond of the idea whatever it might be.

Daphne sits on the desk, looking at him. "We need to get the public talking about your relationship with Gia again. We need to go on and confirm what they've already been questioning. Take her out tonight, show her off, get some pictures shot, and then confirm your relationship on Instagram."

Rio looks at her, he knew this was coming, she had been controlling every aspect of his relationship, if you wanted to call it that, with Gia from the very beginning.  Hell, she had created it.

"I'll get you reservation at Gauche." She says, pulling out her phone and dialing a number, not even giving him a chance to say anything. "Call Gia. Tell her to be ready at eight."

With that, Daphne walks out of the room. Rio sighs, burying his face in his hands, sitting alone in the conference room.

•••

Meanwhile, Aiden sits at a table for two in an upscale restaurant that he wasn't even sure he could afford, and he was also sure his father knew he couldn't afford this, and that's probably why he made the reservations.

Sitting across from him was Lauren. Lauren is a pretty girl, Aiden could admit that, she was smart, too, something else he could admit. She would make the perfect girlfriend, wifey material, except she wasn't what Aiden wanted.

Every since Aiden had picked her up, she couldn't stop talking about Rio, and what happened last night. Apparently, she's a big fan of his, has been following him since his early work, and knows every word to every one of his songs.

No matter what—Aiden just couldn't seem to escape Rio. He was starting to think that maybe, just maybe, he didn't want to.

"I just love him, and I think it's amazing what you did for him on that balcony." She says, taking a sip of her wine, looking at Aiden over the rim. "So, people are saying that it was a suicide attempt."

Aiden shifts a bit in his seat, he wasn't sure if this was a question that he was comfortable answering.

"Was it? I mean, I saw the video, and I can't help but notice how much it looked like a suicide attempt." She says, leaning forward a little more. "So, was it?"

Aiden looks at her unblinking. He can't believe this.

"I don't think I'm really at liberty to talk about that." He finally says, and he can see the disappointment written all over her face.

"No, of course you aren't, I don't know what I was thinking." She says, the atmosphere between them immediately shifting to an awkward one. "Yeah, I'm sorry."

"It's fine." Aiden says, though it's not. He's just ready for this date, if you could call it that, to be over already.

There's a few pregnant moments of silence that pass by so slowly that Aiden feels like he can't breathe for a moment. Finally, there's a welcome distraction when Lauren's phone buzzes on the table.

"Sorry," Lauren says, but she checks it anyway. Aiden isn't mad either, it gives him a moment to check his own phone and see a message from his father that reminds him to be a gentlemen. As if he'd be anything else.

"Oh wow." Lauren says, looking at something on her phone. "So I guess it is true then. Rio and Gia are a thing. I'm happy for him, but unhappy for me."

Aiden looks at her, and she looks at him and offers him a smile. "Not that you're not great or anything, because you are. You're tall, handsome."

"Thank you." Aiden says, and figuring he should pay her back with a complement as well, adds, "And you're great, too. Beautiful, smart, kind."

It was true, she was all those things, but Aiden said he like he was attracted to her, like he wanted to be with her, when he quite honestly didn't.

Lauren puts her phone down on the table and smiles giddily. Aiden catches a glimpse of the picture, Rio and Gia walking hand-in-hand out of a restaurant. There's a pang of jealously, but it only lasts for a moment before he reminds himself who Rio is.

•••

"Come on, baby." Gia says, grabbing Rio's hand and trying to pull him to the dance floor of the VIP section of the club they decided to stop at after dinner. "Dance with me."

Rio looks over his shoulder at Orion, who was posted up by the entrance to the VIP section. He remembers his mother's words, the treat of his debut album not being released, and the numerous cameras that were pointed towards them.

With an internal sigh, he follows her to the floor, his hands on her hips as she starts to sway, grinding back against him, and he follows her lead as she starts to throw her ass back, and he's right there to catch it.

He puts a smile on his face, pretends that he's really enjoying this when all he wants to do is go home and get in the bed. Gia leans back against him, bringing his face closer to her's, and their lips find each other's and then they're kissing as they grind on the dance floor.

"If I hit it one time Ima pope her. If I hit two times then I like her. If I fuck three time ima wife her. It ain't safe for the black or the white girls."

Rio starts to get lost in the moment, the effect of the shots he had taken a few moments earlier starting to take over, and he looks across the section and spots him.

He hasn't seen him in months, not since they're last encounter in Miami, but damn he looked good tonight. Kid King.

The dance started to be less about Gia, and more about Rio trying to seduce the rapper, and it must've been working, because Kid couldn't take his eyes off of Rio.

When they leave the floor a few moments later, Rio takes another shot.

"I'll be back, babe. Ima go holla at Kid." Rio whispers into Gia's ear. She nods, touching his chest and giving him a kiss before he walks away.

Rio approaches Kid with a smile, and greets him with dap. "What's up, man?"

"Long time no see." Kid says, and Rio could tell he was high. "I been around. Making this money. Fucking bitches. Making this money. You know how it is."

"I heard that." Rio says, looking over his shoulder and seeing Orion staring at him. He looks back at Kid. "You got something for me?"

Kid looks around, making sure that no one is paying attention to them, and then he gestures with his head to the door.

Rio checks back over his shoulder and sees that Orion is distracted, and follows Kid out of the building.

•••

Rio takes the blunt from Kid, taking a long drag, and then blowing the smoke through his nose. He takes one more before passing it back, smiling as he feels the drugs start to take affect.

"So, you and pop princess, Gia?" Kid asks, looking at him as he takes a hit.

"Nah, it's for show." Rio admits. There was no need in lying to Kid about it. "You know how this business is."

"Yeah, I feel you." Kid says, passing the blunt back to Rio who immediately takes another hit. "But that shit you pulled last night. What was that, man?"

Rio sighs, taking another drag and holding in the smoke for as long as possible before blowing it out in the perfect O shape. "I was drunk. I was being stupid."

Kid looks at him, taking the blunt back. Rio looks at him, locking eyes with him. Rio knows that Kid can see through his bullshit, he was one of those annoying people who were good at reading others. Just like the cop.

"What?" Rio asks with a chuckle. "Why you looking at me like that?"

"You know I'm not buying that bullshit you been telling the public." Kid says, taking a hit. "You can be honest with me, Rio. You know that."

"I know." Rio says. "I am."

"No, you not." Kid takes another hit, but doesn't pass the blunt back.

"You fucking up the rotation." Rio says, reaching for the joint.

Kid holds it out of his reach. "Tell me the truth. Or at least don't tell me the same lie."

Rio looks at him, sighing. "Fine. I was going to jump. You happy?"

"No." Kid says, passing the blunt back. "Why you was gonna jump?"

"I felt like it was the only way out."

"You still feel that way?"

Yes.

"No." Rio says, looking at him, their eyes locking.

There's a moment of silence before Rio is leaning over quickly, practically leaping over the console and pressing his lips to Kid's.

The rapper kisses back for a moment, but only for a moment before he's pushing Rio back. "Stop, Stop."

"What? I thought you wanted me, Kid." Rio says, leaning in to try to kiss him again.

Kid stop him, putting his hand on his chest and pushing him back. "Look, what happened in Miami that night...I was cross faded as shit, and I don't really remember it. I was outta my mental, you know?"

Rio just stares at him, embarrassed and angry at the rejection.

"You certainly seemed in to it that night." Rio says.

"But I'm not." Kid replies. "Look, Kid King is a lot of things, but I ain't no faggot."

Rio stares at him, his hurt turning into anger. He tosses the blunt back at him, and Kid rushes to pick it up before he sets something on fire.

"What the fuck?!" Kid exclaims.

"Fuck you." Rio spits before getting out of the car and slamming the door. He stops when he sees Orion standing nearby. How long had he been there? "Go get Gia. Tell them to bring the car around. We're leaving."

•••

Gia straddles Rio's lap in the backseat of the car, she kisses him deeply, tongue tangling with his, hands on either side of his face. Rio, however, just sits there, idly kissing her back, with little to no emotion.

She senses it, pulling away and looking into his eyes. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, yeah. I'm good." Rio says, putting his hands on her hips. "Why?"

"You just seem out of it." Gia says.

"Fuck, I'm...I'm just a little more buzzed than I thought I guess." Rio replies.

The car stops outside of Gia's house.

Gia gets off his lap, grabbing her bag. She looks over at him as Orion opens the door for her. "This was fun. I had fun."

"Yeah, me, too." Rio lies, offering her a smile. "I'll call you later, baby, Okay?"

"You better." She winks before getting out of the car. As soon as the door is closed, Rio looks out of his window, staring into the night, and feeling himself sinking to that same low spot that he was in last night, the numbness starting to spread.

"If it ever gets to be too much, just give me a call. I'm a good listener." He hears Aiden's words echo in his head from earlier that night.

Rio pulls his phone out of his pocket, pulling up Aiden's contact, his thumb hovering over the phone icon for a moment, before finally pressing it.

•••

Aiden walks Lauren up to her front door, and the two stop and face each other.

"I had fun tonight, Aiden." Lauren says with a smile, and Aiden wonders if she's lying for his sake. He hopes she's lying.

"I did, too." Aiden says, putting his hands in his pockets and returning her smile as warmly as possible.

There's a moment of silence, just the two of them looking at each other, and before Aiden can register what's happening, she's stepping forward and pressing her lips against his.

It's a weird kiss, one that's soft, but not as sweet as it should be. To keep her from feeling bad about herself, Aiden kisses her back, though he doesn't enjoy it.

She pulls away, her smile wider and brighter now. "I'll see you again?"

"Yeah, of course." Aiden says, because he doesn't know what else to say, it's the only thing that feels right.

She waved goodbye to him, and then she walks in her door. As soon as the door is closed, Aiden turns and walks back to his car, wondering if he was a terrible person for letting her thing he was into this as much as she seemed to be.

As soon as he cranks his car, his phone starts to ring. He expects it to be his father, calling to ask how the date went. However, when he looks at the caller ID, he sees an unknown number.

He answers anyway. "Hello?"

"Hey," A familiar voice softly says on the other end of the line. Rio.

"Hey," Aiden says, his interested immediately perked. "Is everything alright? Are you okay?"

He wonders if he sounds too concerned. There's a moment of silence, and Aiden half-thinks that Rio is going to hang up on him and block his number, but then he hears a soft, defeated sigh.

"No." Rio says. "I'm not. Can you come get me? From my place?"

"Yeah, yeah I'll be there soon." Aiden says immediately, hanging up the phone. He's about to put the car in drive when there's a tap at his window.

A man stands there, smiling at him. Aiden barely cracks the window.

"Can I help you?" Aiden asks.

"Aiden Sawyer." The man says. "My name is Jeff Jones with People Magazine, and we were hoping we could get an exclusive from Hero Cop himself."

"What?" Aiden asks. "How did you find me?"

"I'm a journalist with one of the biggest magazines in the world. I have plenty of connections Mr. Sawyer." Jeff pulls out and envelope and slides it through the crack of the window. "Take a look at that, and tell me what you think. Get back with me."

Jeff walks away from him. This day just keeps getting weirder for Aiden. He puts the envelope in his jacket pocket and drives off.

•••

An hour later, the two of them sit on the hood of Aiden's car, which is parked by an airport runway. There's bags of greasy, fast food spread out between them.

"I know this probably ain't what you're used to." Aiden says, popping a fry into his mouth and looking over at Rio.

"Are you kidding? This is perfect. If Daphne saw this stuff she'd flip out." Rio says with a smile, looking at Aiden too.

There it was, a genuine smile from the singer, one that Aiden hadn't seen before, but one that he wanted to see much more of. It made his heart ache in the best way possible.

"You should smile like that more often." Aiden says. "It looks good on you."

Rio blushes and looks down at the half-eaten burger in his lap, then back over at Aiden, whose eyes are still trained on him.

"When you said you were taking me to your favorite place I didn't think it was going to be an airport runway." Rio says, looking up just as an airplane flies over them to come in for a landing. "It's a little weird."

Aiden smiles and shakes his head. "It's not weird. It's just...I guess I've always loved airplanes. I used to want to be a pilot."

"What changed your mind?" Rio asks.

Aiden shrugs. "I don't know, I guess everybody just expected me to be a cop like my pops. Nobody ever asked me what I wanted to do."

Rio nods his head. He knows how Aiden feels, every decision for him has been made by his mother. He hasn't gotten a say at all. "I know what you mean."

"And I guess I'm just fascinated because I've never been on one."

Rio gives him an incredulous look. "You've never flown before? I find that hard to believe."

"It's the truth." Aiden says.

"I'm sorry how old are you?"

Aiden chuckles. "I guess I've never had a reason to fly."

"We'll have to change that." Rio says as they lock eyes again. 

There's a moment of complete comfortable silence as they stare into one another's eyes, lost in the other, before Aiden breaks their eye contact.

"So, what made you call me tonight?" Aiden asks.

Rio sighs, shaking his head. "I just had a long night, I guess. I wanted to unwind with somebody who wanted to spend time with the real me."

Aiden nods. "I'm glad I'm finally getting to see the real you. I caught a glimpse of you on that balcony last night, but I haven't seen him since. I like this you, Rio. A lot."

Rio smiles. "Yeah, well, it's hard to be this version when everyone else wants you to be someone different."

"Why do you keep doing what they want?" Aiden asks.

Rio looks at him. "The same reason you keep doing what your father wants."

Aiden sighs, looking down at his lap for a moment. It was true, he couldn't be giving advice when he couldn't take it himself.

"We both have overbearing parents, Aiden." Rio says with a shrug. "I guess we're just too stuck in our ways to tell them to fuck off."

Another plane flies over and lands.

"I'm going to take you on a plane." Rio says, looking at him with a smile, shifting the conversation back to a lighter tone. "Even if it's the last thing I do."

It wasn't something they had been doing all night, morphing from playful to deep as they got to know each other better.

"I don't even know if I'd want to fly." Aiden says. "I'd probably piss on myself."

Rio laughs. "It's not even that bad."

"I don't know, man. I saw Snakes on a Plane and Lost I ain't going out like that." Aiden chuckles.

Rio shoves him playfully as they both laugh. Rio shivers.

"You cold?" Aiden asks.

"Yeah, I guess I shouldn't have drank that milkshake." Rio replies.

Aiden shrugs out of his jacket and drapes it over Rio's shoulders. Rio's heart swells in his chest, feeling the warmth of the jacket on his bare arms, and catching a whiff of Aiden's intoxicatingly delicious scent.

"Better?" Aiden asks.

"Better." Rio says.

They sit there in a comfortable silence, looking up at the stars in the sky, lying back on the hood. Rio reaches inside of the jacket, feeling the corner of something poking his chest, and pulls out an envelope. People is in the return address, and he sees Aiden's name scrawled on the front.

"What is this?" Rio asks, sitting up, his heart sinking into his stomach. He'd seen these plenty of times before, with people he had gotten close to, all trying to make money off of him.

Aiden looks at the letter. "Oh, some dude from people magazine came up to me. Said he wanted to do an exclusive."

"And you told him yes?" Rio exclaims, standing up, feeling hot tears starting to burn the back of his eyes. "I let my guard down and this is what I get."

"What?" Aiden asks, standing up too and reaching out for him. "No, no, I'm not going to do it."

"How do I know?" Rio asks. "How do I know that everything that's happened, everything I said to you tonight, how do I know that you're not just going to go run your mouth to get money?"

"Because I'm not that kind of person." Aiden explains, taking Rio's arm to stop him from walking away. "I'd never do anything to you like that, I'd never betray your trust like that. Okay? Please, don't leave."

Rio looks at him, he wants to believe him, he wants to trust him so badly. He needs someone in his life, someone he can be open with, someone he can trust. That's when he sees it, something he's never seen in someone's eyes when they're talking to him, sincerity.

Rio looks at Aiden, who smiles at him, and Rio feels something tugging between them, like a magnetic attraction that draws Rio closer and closer to him.

Aiden watches as Rio leans in, and then he starts to lean in to, unable to control himself, until their lips are pressed together. It's a soft kiss, soft and sweet, and perfect I every way. The best kiss either of them had had all night.

Rio's hand comes up to cup Aiden's jaw as they deepen the kiss, Aiden's hands on Rio's hips pulling him closer, Rio's arms moving to drape around Aiden's neck.

It's like fireworks, like a moment that was always meant to happen. Their lips fit together like puzzle pieces as they become lost in the kiss, lost in each other. Giving each other everything.

All they had needed, all they've ever wanted, is in each other.

Beyond the Lights

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

93.9K 4.4K 32
❝ɪᴛ'ꜱ ᴊᴜꜱᴛ ʏᴏᴜ ᴀɴᴅ ɪ ᴛᴏɴɪɢʜᴛ ᴡʜʏ ᴅᴏɴ'ᴛ ʏᴏᴜ ꜰɪɢᴜʀᴇ ᴍʏ ʜᴇᴀʀᴛ ᴏᴜᴛ?❞ ----------- Viktor Nikiforov falls in love with a boy he met online. What he doesnt...
35.4K 2.7K 38
[BXB / unedited ] Saying that Max Oran is a disaster would be an understatement: he got himself kicked out of school, his dad has sent him to live wi...
832K 48.3K 34
It's hard to believe that a boy who didn't believe in love and a boy who didn't believe he could love himself would have much to learn from each othe...