Attracting Trouble

wallxflowxer tarafından

Jessa Ackerman knows her life is a mess. She's had her heart broken, a best friend she doesn't deserve, a mom... Daha Fazla

Author's Note
Prologue: We're all Doomed
Chapter 1: He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named
Chapter 2: Prince Charming
Chapter 3: Grab Some Popcorn
Chapter 4: A Rose Between Two Thorns
Chapter 5: Sunflowers
Chapter 6: Planning a Funeral
Chapter 7: You, Me, and the Stars
Chapter 8: The Crack in the Fence
Chapter 9: Salads & Video Games
Chapter 10: Coffee Stains, Fire Trucks, & Stuff
Chapter 11: Uncle Brad
Chapter 12: An Aching Heart
Chapter 13: Until it's Not
Chapter 14: Superman
Chapter 15: The Rumors
Chapter 16: The Three Musketeers
Chapter 17: A Marine Biologist
Chapter 18: Dying of Thirst
Chapter 19: Fixing You
Chapter 20: The Night Everything Fell Apart
Chapter 21: My End of the Deal
Chapter 22: Two Pieces are now One
Chapter 23: The Dirtbag
Chapter 24: 007
Chapter 25: Can't Fix Stupid
Chapter 26: Over
Chapter 27: Forgiving is Not Forgetting
Chapter 28: The Elephant
A Thousand Reasons

Chapter 29: New Beginnings

2.4K 79 8
wallxflowxer tarafından

A few months later...

I don't mean for it to happen, but my foot continues to tap on the floor of our foyer as I sit and wait patiently on kitchen chair.

I can feel my annoyance rising as it gets closer to the time and Will's still not here.

"Is he coming?" Mom asks me. I look up at her and smile.

"Yeah, should be any minute. He said that whatever this is, it wouldn't take long." I cringe at the words that text message has in it. He wanted to talk.

I'm not gonna lie, I'm a little freaked out. Why does he have to do this right before our graduation? He just loves to get on my last nerve.

But if he didn't, I'd be worried. And if he didn't, I wouldn't love him as much as I do.

"You guys go and I'll meet you there. Okay?" I tell my mom, dad, and Tori. Sydney is on her way, but I know how late she usually is.

Mom narrows her eyes at me. "Jessa, we know how you can be. If I don't see you there, on time, I'm going to come find you myself. Understand, missy?"

I can't help but smile as a giggle escapes my mouth. "Yeah, Mom. I'll be there."

"Make sure to bring that goofy boyfriend of yours, too," Tori adds.

Dad leans down and kisses my forehead. "We'll see you in a little bit."

I watch them leave the house and it suddenly becomes totally silent. I sit and watch the door for a little while and try not to go crazy.

Finally, after a few long minutes, I hear a car pull up outside. I jump up from my spot, my dress dangling around my thighs. I wasn't going to where this, but Tori practically forced me to. I hold my graduation gown draped over my arm and my hat gripped in my hand.

I peep through the peep hole in the front door and wait for him to walk up on the porch.

When he does appear, I can't help but notice how handsome he looks all dressed up - and nervous. He's biting down on his bottom lip anxiously. To my surprise, he doesn't do anything but stare at the door. I wait one whole minute as he does this before I can't take anymore. I jerk the door open and come face to face with him.

A smile appears on his face and I'm sure there's one on mine, too.

"What are you doing standing out here? You're late!" I scold him as I hurry out and slam the door behind me.

I feel so anxious still. My palms are sweating and my heart is beating so fast. What could he possibly want to talk about now?

I head towards the driveway to find his mom's car sitting there instead of his beat up truck. Turning to him, I raise an eyebrow. He just shrugs his shoulders and gives me a wink.

We slide down into the car and he begins driving toward whatever this is.

"You have barely talked to me in the two days and now you're being spontaneous," I finally say. "What's going on?"

He bites his lip again. "I... I don't know if you'll like it."

Oh no. Oh no. Oh no.

"What are you talking about, Will?" I stare at him and wait for him to answer me.

"You're so bad at waiting for things, you know that?" He chuckles.

"You're scaring me, okay?" I defend myself. It feels like we've been taken back in time and we're back to our old selves. We used to bicker and pick at each other all the time, and that's what I called love. I got it back.

"So, where are we going then? Mom told me she'd come and hunt me down if I'm late." I laugh again at that. I'm so glad to have my mom back, too. "And also, why are we not in your truck?"

Will reached over and laced his hand with mine. "For once in your life, be patient."

I make a face at his smiling one and turn to the window but really, all my attention is on our hands.

It isn't long before we drive into town and I see all the cars heading towards the high school football field where our graduation is held. That is, when it doesn't rain.

But Will continues to drive until we end up at the other end of town. He pulls into an old parking lot that used to belong to a family hardware store that sold out and moved to the east coast. Parties are held here often.

In the far end of the corner I spot Will's truck, but attacked to it is a short camper that looks like it may have been through some rough things.

"Will," I say. "What is this?"

He parks the car and tells me to stay put. I watch him jog to my side of the car and open my door like a gentleman, even bowing to me in a joking manner. He shuts the door and sticks his elbow out toward me.

"Miss, may I escort you?" He asks with a huge smile. I put my arms through his and let him lead me towards the camper. "You're chariot awaits."

I snap my head to him. "Will, what are you talking about?"

He doesn't say a word - which makes me want to strangle him - as he digs a few keys out of his pocket and unlocks the door of the camper.

"You said that you wanted to travel, didn't you?" He asks me as we step up into the small camper. We enter at the middle where there is a couch, a dining table with two benches on each side, and a kitchen across from that.

To my right is a door that he opens and reveals two twin size beds. On the other end is a bathroom with a shower and toilet.

It feels cozy being in this tiny home.

"I thought this would be perfect for that. You wouldn't have to rent out any hotel room or whatever. Just find a generator and and some kind of water supply every now and then and you'll be set."

As he tells me this, I can't help but feel sad. I'm getting what I wanted - to be free and able to do what I really wanted to do without anyone telling me that I can't.

But why am I still not happy?

"It's all yours, Jessa," Will says from behind me. I feel tears welling up in my eyes so I don't turn to him.

But suddenly, I know what's missing. For the first time in my whole life, I know exactly what I want. I caused so much trouble to get to where I am, but now I'm taking it all back.

"I..." I suck in a deep breath and turn to him quickly in hopes he doesn't see me crying. I clutch his shirt in my hands and pull him down to me so I can kiss his lips.

I pull away and lean my forehead to his, not letting go of his shirt. "I love you, and that's why I can't accept this."

He grabs both my shoulders and pushes me away so he can see me.

"Why? It's your dream, Jess. Why can't you?" He grabs my hand and drags me down into the couch with him.

"I thought it was. And, honestly, I want to do it. I think it'd be amazing..."

"Then what are you talking about?" He asks calmly as he brushes my curled hair out of my face.

"It wouldn't be amazing without you," I tell him. "And my mom and dad... Social media can only go so far. And Hannah and Tori and even Sydney. I'd miss them. I'd miss you. They'd be so if happy I went to college after all."

He stares at me and searches my eyes for something I don't even know of myself. Then he stands up and pulls me to the bedroom with him. Above both beds are cabinets, and Will heads straight for the middle one. He pulls it open and takes a long piece of rolled up paper.

He sets it on the bed and flattens it out, revealing a map. In the place of Washington is a picture of the two of when we were younger. His arms is draped around me with that boyish smile of his hanging off his lips. I'm emailing and blushing like an idiot, but I can't help but to love it.

I get down on my knees beside Will and look at the map. There's also pictures of us in California, Idaho, and Oregon. All of these places are where we've both been at some point in our lives.

"If you really don't want to, I get it. But if you decide that this dream is worth something, then I'm not leaving your side," Will lets go if the map and it rolls halfway shut again.

I look over at him in shock. "Are you... saying that you'd go with me?"

He nods his head and smiles.

"No! You can't. You have the police academy and everything else. I can't just drag you with me," I explain frantically.

He grabs both my hands. "You wouldn't be dragging me with you. I have my own interests as to what the rest of the country looks like up close. It's something I'd love to do - but only with you."

I don't know what to do. "Will..."

"I've been so serious about this, Jessa. I love you. And I want to marry you one day, but I want you to live this dream first. We can take the summer and do all of this. And after that, who knows. It's up to us."

How can it be that a girl like me could get so lucky? How do I deserve a man like this?

I lurch forward and wrap my arms around his neck, burying my face in his shoulder.

"Okay," I whisper. "Let's do it. But only on one condition."

I feel his arms wrap around me. "What is it?" I pull away so I can look at him.

"You have to promise..." I trail off. "...that you won't get sick of me. And when I get cold, you'll keep me warm, and I'll keep you warmer. And promise me that no matter what, you'll still follow your dreams. Promise me that."

He smiles and kisses me. "It's a deal. I promise."

I smile so quickly and so widely that it feels like my face is going to explode. I hug him again and we lie back on the floor, just watching the ceiling.

"This place is going to need some decorating," I say after a quiet moment. "You're not too good at that."

He chuckles. "Be quiet."

I feel a buzzing and realize it's one of our phones. There's no way for me to carry mine since I'm in a dress, so I feel Will's shirt pocket for his. Sure enough, there's a text from my mother.

Where are you two? Jessa hasn't answered her phone.

In that short second, I jump to my feet as panic rises in my chest.

"We're gonna be late! Will! Oh my gosh, come on!" I squeal as I drag him from the camper. He quickly locks the door and we run to the car.

We get there in less than five minutes, but that was just enough time to be late. We help each other with our caps and gowns before peeking around the fence to the entrance of the football field.

The seniors are taking their seats in the middle of the field with the graduation music still playing. I spot our two empty seats near the front and panic. Of course we're all the way up front.

And of course we're late. Why am I not surprised?

Mom is sitting impatiently in the middle of the bleachers. I can practically hear her thoughts of hunting me down after this.

I take Will's hand and march to the front where our seats are while everyone stares. I can't help but to laugh. Dad looks at me and he smiles which makes me laugh even more. I get smirks from my sisters and a shake of the head from Mom.

I know I'm a magnet for trouble, but no matter how much I get into, I wouldn't have it any other way.

___________

The song is Meant to be by Florida Georgia Line ft. BeBe Rexha!

I am SO sorry for taking F O R E V E R
to update. I really am.

Instead of listing excuses I'm gonna say one word: college. Yep, that sums it up.

Anyway, while it's been a long and rough road of my first semester of college, it's kept me away from doing what I love and that's this.

I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter! Sadly, there's only one more and that's the epilogue! I'm excited for you to see what I have planned for all of them! I've decided not to write an epilogue for this story because this is the type of ending I had been imagining. I am however going to publish the first few chapters of my new book, A Thousand Reasons! So please stick around!

For those who read Bea & the Broken Record and Dreams & Other Lost Things, the spin-off for Quentin is still something I want to do, I just have to find the time!

Thanks SO much for reading! I truly hope you enjoyed it and you got something out of it!!

Okumaya devam et

Bunları da Beğeneceksin

3.9M 115K 59
* * * Lauren Collins is a good girl. She's responsible and shy but has a tight knit group of friends, excellent grades, and is dating Thomas Clark, a...
4.7K 915 74
Madison is a reserved girl with a comfortable yet uneventful life back home. She has good grades, a loving sister, and a father who's intent on her l...
1.4K 171 36
Christina has had her life figured out for as long as she could remember. The plan was always to get into Harvard and become a journalist. So what if...
9.9K 227 21
A/N- I wrote this when I was 11, READ AT YOUR OWN RISK! "I wasn't expecting any of this to happen. I thought that I could come back and everything w...