The Wizard's Queen

By emmymaereads

After facing off with Michael Noble, the young Blackwell's wizards are left tattered and defeated scattered a... More

Part 1-Devil's Advocate
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Part 2-The Wizard's Queen
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46

Chapter 36

124 18 1
By emmymaereads

Riley groaned, rubbing her eyes as she stumbled from her bed heading towards the door to stop the persistent knocking. It was the middle of the night, or more like early morning. She frowned as she glanced down at the alarm clock, the time 3:33 blaring back at her.

"Luke, what do you-" she began as she flung the door open.

She frowned, seeing no one there, her eyes glancing down, about jumping in shock at the glazed over red eyes blankly staring at her. Declan shouldn't be awake. She knew he was staying here at the Noble mansion now that his father had been assigned to protective duty. Still, the kid was nine years old. He should be sound asleep.

"Declan?" Riley questioned.

The boy broke out in a pointed grin at the sound of his name, his eyes coming to life as he glanced up at her. Riley felt chills run down her spine by how creepy the kid was.

"Why are you at my room?" She mumbled.

"I was curious to learn more about you," he replied.

"At three in the morning?" Riley snapped.

Declan nodded, letting himself into her room. He walked over to her bed, plopping down in the middle of it as he studied her. He looked around the room, noticing that most of these things in here belonged to someone else. This was Anna's old room, but it was next door to Luke's which was why Michael Noble had placed her there. Declan's room was further down the hall next to Wren's while Michael Noble's was on the opposite side of the house close to his study.

"Look, Declan," Riley yawned, "can't you come back at a more reasonable time?"

Declan shook his head in disagreement. Riley sighed, crossing her arms as she studied the weird boy before her. During the day, he had looked so lifeless and dull but now, he looked so alive. She preferred the other personality. This one was really giving her the creeps. She wasn't sure what was going through his mind as he sat on the bed. It was impenetrable to her. Maybe if she was stronger she would have been able to break through his shields but in this weakened state, she could hardly shield her own mind.

"They wouldn't like that, me talking to you," Declan stated.

"Who, your father and Mr. Noble?" Riley questioned.

"Yeah, they think I will be swayed to your side like everyone else. However, I choose my own sides. They think they can control me, but I am stronger than them!" Declan attempted a sly grin, but it only made him look even more terrifying as Riley studied him.

"Then why did you let them capture you and place you in the mental institute? Better yet, why did you willingly come back when they rescued you?" Riley questioned.

"I wanted to meet you. You see, you are the only one to ever beat him in a duel. Thats why I had to see you," Declan replied.

"What?" Riley asked. This kid was making no sense as he spoke in riddles. There was a devilish glint in his eyes as he eyed her, pleased to see she was confused and slightly scared of him.

"I was created for one purpose,"Declan began.

"Wait, hold up? You were created?" Riley interrupted.

Declan yawned as he glared at Riley. She flinched at his cold stare, an unsettling feeling sawing in her gut at the murderous glint he held. The look quickly disappeared as he let out an annoyed sigh contemplating on telling her everything. She might as well know how powerful of Wizards she would be up against.

"To sum it up, children were experimented on, their DNA manipulated to make stronger versions of half breed humans. A lot of women and babies lost their lives in the experiments, however seven of us were born, I being one of them," Declan explained.

Riley furrowed her eyebrows confused at his confession. Her curiosity got the better of her as she took a seat next to him on the bed eager to learn more. She wasn't aware that DNA could be manipulated like that. She was aware of the existence of half breeds and was learning there were a lot more than she thought. Most of them were illegitimate children born from bored elves and fairies and giants. She realized Wren was half fairy, and soon realized the only reason Michael Noble kept the kid around was because he was fairy royalty, the king his own father. Marcus was an eleven prince, next in line for the throne.

Both of these boys possessed unimaginable power. However, another boy crossed her mind as she imagined the floppy brown hair and devilish smile. Derek Fitzgerald was impulsive and often insane in his ideas, happily following Luke around but she knew he had been a major face to the Resistance, causing destruction and winning battles these past couple of months while she was stuck in a coma. She knew he was strong and was a challenge to duel that one day back in class, but then he had only been half way trying. What was Derek, exactly?

"I see you are thinking about my brother," Declan grinned.

"Brother?" Riley asked, "I thought your last name was Murrell. You look too much like your father to deny and Derek looks a lot like his own,"

"Yes, our human fathers. We share the same DNA that enhances our magical abilities. Derek was supposed to be the only one, but my mom was desperate after Kas was killed by him. She knew she would die if she had me, but she made the decision to use his DNA to create me while adding in some fairy genes similar to Kasim's magical abilities so I could possess magic that was strong on both spectrums," Declan explained.

"Huh?" Riley asked, completely lost.

"Genetic manipulation to enhance our magic is dangerous to both mother and child, but it pays off by creating beings stronger than imagined. It became a banned practice after the last four children were born that year. My existence wasn't supposed to be allowed, but mom was an amazing scientist," Declan replied.

"Ok, kid. So you are strong, big whoop. So am I," Riley snapped.

"Do you know why those others were created?" Declan questioned. Riley shook her head.

"They were made to be strong enough to defeat you. Kas was the first of us made, and supposed to be the strongest. That was until Derek killed him. He let his other self take over making my elder brother die before he had the chance to fight back," Declan spat.

"Derek did all this?" Riley gasped.

She recalled Luke mentioning how he had taken out almost a whole army coming to try to rescue her from the hospital when her time travel spell went off thanks to that Nikkolai kid taking Anna and Kenny back in time with him. He had taken over one of Wren's demons, casting mind control on it to let Rachel use it in fight. He also had almost suffocated everyone to death by manipulating the oxygen levels in their blood with his elemental magic.

Derek had proven destructive again in the battle to save his older brother, almost flooding a whole town in the process with the amount of water he had controlled after diving off a cliff into the ocean. No ordinary human would have been able to survive a fall like that or control magic of that caliber. Riley doubted her magic was even that strong when she let her emotions fuel her magic. Even when she defeated the Sorceress in the past, she hadn't done it alone. Kenny had been the one to loan his remaining magical strength so she could succeed. She couldn't believe Derek had killed someone. Her friends never mentioned it, unless they didn't know.

"Luke knows the truth, he was there," Declan grinned.

"Kid, can you stop reading my mind?" Riley groaned.

Declan shook his head, giggling that she was annoyed. Riley shot him a look, not really wanting to play his games so early in the morning.

"My brother was sixteen when he died. Derek was seven when he killed him," Declan spat.

"Wait what?" Riley gasped.

Declan nodded, showing her the images. Riley watched in shock as she saw a kid with a glowing shell around his neck drown the teen without breaking a sweat while Anna begged him to stop. She saw the fear in Kas's eyes as he lost his life, before the image ended. She now understood where Nikkolai took them back in time. He wanted to prevent Kas's death. However, they must have failed if he was still dead.

"Are you curious about how Derek has such strong elemental magic, especially water?" Declan grinned. Riley slowly nodded her head.

"Its my father's talent too. It was a gift Derek was bestowed. I possess it too, on top of that I have learnt Kas's special ability, a high form of gravity manipulation where I can utterly destroy everything." Declan grinned.

"Everything?"

Declan smirked, closing his hand in a fist, letting a red black glow come, slowly opening his hand to demonstrate his power. A small black hole had appeared before Riley's eyes. She gasped in shock as she inched back, away from him. Declan chuckled, clasping his fist shut to stop his power.

"Dad put me in the hospital because of this ability. Kyle used a similar method to stop Keaton's attack on the base," Declan explained. Riley gasped, recalling how the whole world had gone back for about two minutes that day before learning the truth that Kyle had saved his friends. Was Kyle one of those kids?

"No, Kyle is human. He would be a prodigy under normal circumstances if he actually utilized his gifts instead of trying to keep them suppressed. Luke is a prodigy too from you humans," Declan replied.

"Prodigy?"

"Yes, prodigy. Less than a percent of wizards are bestowed with unimaginable talent making them a challenge for even the half breeds. Its rare to have two in your school, but Blackwell's is ranked for just that reason. Most of the kids who compete in the Wizard games will be of unimaginable strength, either half breeds or the equivalent of prodigies," Declan replied, "I assume if you live long enough, you will represent your school this summer as my brother, Nikkolai his."

"Ugh, I guess so," Riley gulped, "but what are you? I assume you aren't fairy like your brothers nor do you look like an elf. Are you giant?"

Declan chuckled shaking his head, "Why I am none of those things, Riley."

"Huh?"

"I am even more terrifying, the thing of your worst nightmares. Would you like to know the name of my father? He really wants to meet you," Declan grinned.

"Ok, who is your father?" Riley sighed.

"Why, he is-" Declan began.

The door flinging open interrupted him as Wren appeared panting and out of breath. His cheeks were flushed from rushing down the hall, a strange man at his side. The man pushed through, adjusting the tie on his suit as his beady black eyes narrowed in on Riley and Declan sitting and talking.

"Declan, you know you can't go saying names just like that," the strange man sighed.

"Who are you?" Riley snapped, her eyes narrowing in distrust as she protectively shielded Declan from the strange man who left an unsettling feeling in her gut.

"Riley, you don't have to protect me," Declan yawned as he slowly blinked, studying Amon before him.

"I don't?" Riley questioned.

Declan let out a sadistic grin, his eyes flashing red as he nodded his head towards Riley, before sending a glare towards the strange man. Wren gulped, stepping behind the guy, his hand reaching for his wand, ready to intervene if necessary.

"Amon is one of my father's subordinates. He is only a Marquis, nothing impressive compared to my strength," Declan chuckled.

"Marquis?" Riley mumbled.

"Its my rank in his army," Amon snapped.

"It still is a pretty impressive rank, only two levels of demons are above his status," Wren replied.

Riley gulped as she studied the demon before her. She knew he possessed a lot of power, she could sense it radiating from him. However, Declan's power felt even stronger and he was still only just a boy. Even worse, he was considered human. Her mind flashed back to Derek. He didn't remind her of a demon. He may be impulsive, but he was loyal to his friends and family. He showed he deeply cared for them and he fought to protect them no matter what. Declan, she could see the demon. He lacked emotions most times and seemed to enjoy making her feel uncomfortable.

She wanted to know who his father was, but knew learning his name would be dangerous. There was a reason Wren appeared when he did, Amon had alerted him to Declan. Saying the name would be dangerous. He hated being summoned and he hated being interrupted. He wouldn't harm his son, but he would harm those other mortals present in the room going as far as to destroy a whole city block if he felt like it. Riley sensed this from Wren who looked terrified.

"Declan, she can't know the truth. If she knows, then Derek will know," Wren warned.

"That's what I am hoping for," Declan smirked

"Why do you want Derek to learn the truth?" Riley snapped as her eyes narrowed in anger.

"Because, he is weak. It will send him over the edge. I will defeat him and get revenge for my brother," Declan grinned.

"Wrath is so boring," Amon yawned.

"Shut up, demon," Declan ordered.

Amon narrowed his eyes on the boy as he spoke, "is it wrath you truly seek, or are you envious he is stronger?"

"He is not stronger than me! I am the strongest! Me! Look, I can erase you from existence!" Declan screamed as he raised his hand towards Amon, the red black orb returning.

Wren gulped, realizing if he used his powers, everyone in that room would disappear for good. Declan was placed in the mental institute for that exact reason, he misused his powers. His temper was worse than Nikkolai's, his impulsivity worse than Derek's. Combined, he was dangerous.

Riley frowned, stepping in front of the glowing light, her amber eyes sparkling in annoyance as she stared down the boy. Declan frowned, upset she was blocking him.

"Move," he ordered, "I don't want to hurt you!"

Riley shook her head, wishing so much that she had her wand to stop him. In a weakened state, her magic wouldn't stop him without a wand to help channel her powers. However, she had to try. The kid needed some serious help. Wren sent out an SOS signal to Stryker, hoping he would arrive soon. He was the only one that could stop the kid like this.

Wren turned to see Stryker had apparated in record time, eyes in shock at the scene. He watched as Riley slowly reached her hand up, her hair billowing around as she let her magic unknowingly seep out.

Riley felt a glowing light engulf her, her eyes began to glow as she released the gold of her aura, enveloping the kid with it, pulling him in. Softly, both of her hands reached for the black hole of power, slowly incasing it with her own golden touch. Declan's eyes widened as he felt his power be extinguished, a sense of calm coming over him as Riley's aura held him, her hands gripping his. She was weakening from the strain on her magic, extinguishing his didn't help, a feeling of darkness suffocating her as she pushed to overcome it.

The strength of her aura filled the whole room, gold glowing all around as Riley stopped Declan from attacking. Declan felt tears well in his eyes in frustration that she had been able to stop him. She wasn't harming him though, he felt love. He felt a mother's touch he never got the chance to experience growing up with nothing but men, both not showing him love but treating him as a weapon. He was trained to be a weapon, not to love. He didn't need friends, the kids were scared of him. His own brother hated him, his father was indifferent. But Riley, she barely knew him and she was accepting of him. She welcomed him with a warm embrace, she took all of his hate with her head held high and now, she was growing weak because of it. His magic did a lot of harm on her, though she stopped the attack. He stumbled on his feet catching her weight as her eyes closed and she slumped forward into his arms, unconscious.

"Impossible," Wren gasped at her strength.

Amon disappeared from view before Wren could process what happened. His demon didn't like sticking around places for long. Wren sensed Amon was returning to Derek, probably to relay what had just transpired to the Resistance. Stryker pushed forward, approaching his son in anger.

"Declan, what were you thinking?" Stryker snapped.

"I wanted to see her power," Declan numbly replied, his eyes glazing back over as he turned his emotions off again.

"Was that the best way to have her demonstrate?" Stryker scolded.

Declan shook his head, glancing down at Riley slumped against him. He was only half her size, but she was light and petite. He imagined his mom was like this. He had seen the pictures of how small she was compared to his father. She had possessed honey brown hair and light brown eyes that looked green in certain lights. All he wanted was a mother's love. Riley wasn't a mother, but she could be his.

"I think she used her siren powers on your son," Wren sighed.

"Yes, you are correct." Stryker kept his back turned as he addressed Wren, his eyes never leaving the Sorceress or his son.

"Wren, does she know the truth?" Stryker asked. Declan had fallen asleep, exhausted from his tantrum, both Sorceress and child a crumpled heap on her bed.

"She doesn't know his name, but she does know what he is," Wren admitted.

"That was all that was revealed?" Stryker snapped.

"Yes, sir."

Stryker sighed, pushing a strand of Riley's hair back from her sleeping face. "As long as she doesn't know the name, she'll be safe." 

~~~~~

The song above is "Half God Half Devil" by In This Moment. I thought this song was the perfect song to sum up Declan. 

Any ideas on who's DNA was used on both Declan and Derek? How do you think Declan will react when he learns his brother isn't actually dead? ;)

Stay tuned to find out...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

604K 23.3K 184
(Highest Rank #1 Adventure 29th November 2015 & #17 Paranormal 31st May 2016 & #46 Fantasy 19th June 2016) This is a dystopian fut...
60 0 25
When a couple arrives to adopt Thomas Cloverleigh, a decade-old secret is revealed to him that apparently he's the last to know. His mother was a wit...
42.7K 3.2K 49
As a Dark Sorceress who has lived a lie her entire life, Kenna will have to decide whether the world she is desperately trying to save hasn't been do...
73.2K 4.2K 21
A dark twist on Faeries. For Shade, a chance meeting with a powerful Teleen faery warrior who wields electrical currents and blue fires along his sk...