Once Upon A Muslim

By XxXFayfayXxX

Kayla's life changed as she became Muslim, saying the simple line of Shahadah: Ash-Hadu Ann Laa Ilaaha Illa A... More

Once Upon A Muslim
Chapter 1 | Divorces, Close Calls, and Fist Fights (Yay!)
Chapter 2 | When A Bad Boy Saves You From Cracking Your Skull
Chapter 3 | Why He Chose the Playground
Chapter 4 | Truths and Lies
Chapter 5 | Complications
Chapter 6 | It's All Revealed Now
Chapter 7 | Finally Here
Chapter 8 | A Wave of Worry
Chapter 9 | Trouble
Chapter 10 | No Hugs Allowed
Chapter 11 | Tears, Hugs, and More Lies
Semi-Chapter 1 | Nick | The Plan
Semi-Chapter 2 | Zahra | Hey, My Name's Megan Fox
Chapter 13 | Tug-of-War Nonsense
Click me! CLICK ME!! WHY AREN'T YOU CLICKING ME?!?!?!?
Semi-Chapter 3 | Harun | Flowers and Sweat Stains
Chapter 14 | When A Mysterious Boy Saves You From Cracking Your Skull
Semi-Chapter 4 | Hafsa | Promises Are Meant To Be Broken
IF YOU DON'T CLICK ME, NOTHING WILL HAPPEN TO YOU. YOU HAVE NOT BEEN WARNED.
Chapter 15 | My Almost First...
Chapter 16 | Reunion in a...Restroom?
Semi-Chapter 5 | Zahra | Expect the Unexpected
Chapter 17 | I Like Him
Chapter 18 | Unexpected Dreams
Semi-Chapter 6 | Zahra | Strained Friendships
Semi-Chapter 7 | Harun | Just A Friend...
Semi-Chapter 8 | Nick | The Tables Have Turned
Chapter 19 | Blood
Chapter 20 | Ups & Downs
Semi-Chapter 9 | Ali | Make Each Moment Count
Chapter 21 | She's-?
Chapter 22 | Crossroads
Semi-Chapter 10 | Nick | Bye
Semi-Chapter 11 | Harun | The Letters: Part 1
Chapter 23 | The Letters: Part 2
Semi-Chapter 12 | Zahra | Life's Not Normal
Chapter 24 | Leaving
Author's Note
^_^

Chapter 12 | An Unexpected Day

10.7K 423 82
By XxXFayfayXxX

I walk into Sandy's Sundae's with both Bonnie and Veronica. I took Zahra's suggestion to come over here with them. Things have been working out for me in the past few days. Well, except for the fact that Mom is still avoiding my bombardment of questions and peculiar suspicions. Also, I didn't fess up. I know, I'm a wuss. But it's not easy. It's not like I'm telling her that I want a bunny named Fluffles. Nope, this situation is not remotely close to a bunny named Fluffles, although I wish it was.

Also, Georgia and Dad left today. Georgia felt that tension was gradually growing and that it was better if they left a few days early. I'm actually bummed about it because I got to bond with my dad, and I also became close to Georgia. She has a really nice personality that doesn't seem to be easily influenced. But in the next few months, in May, we all get to visit both of them and Kara, Mom and I get to help her with her wedding preparations. 

The diner is oddly empty today with the exception of a couple of people. We sit at a booth behind someone else and order our milkshakes and pastries. The silence does not stretch long because I decide to speak up. "Okay, guys, I need to tell you guys something. I only mentioned this to Zahra, so that means no one else knows except a few other people." They both give me questioning looks. "Just listen." I  look down at the table and take the ketchup bottle from its little spot on the rack. I pass the bottle from my right hand to my left. 

"So, do you guys remember the other day when Stephanie forced me to follow her outside?" They nod. "Well, when I told her I didn't want to join any group she was referring to, she got pissed and walked away. I discreetly followed her and I saw her with a guy, possibly with Blake. She mentioned about some idea she had that will make me say yes." I lower my voice. "Her group is a drug group as far as I know. The members in that gang are willing to do anything to get me to join them. I also had a few encounters. And, the worst part is that..." I swallow my throat and fight back tears. "...Nick is in it too." 

The man behind me shifts in his seat and stands up, alarmed. "Sh*t!" he says angrily. That voice is so familiar and I don't even want to hear that deep, damn, sexy voice in my life again. 

I stand up. "Nick?" Why the hell was he eavesdropping? "What are you doing here?" I ask, anger ringing in my voice as well.

He turns around and those sea-green eyes stare at my own. He takes a deep breath and looks at the entrance of the diner uncertainly. "Do we have to do this here?" he asks, exasperated. 

"I don't want to do it at all! I don't want to talk to you to begin with. You're a druggie. I think everyone is so proud of you. How about your mom? She would have been proud too, right?" I laugh. "I mean, my mom would have-"

"Don't bring my mother into this!" he shouts furiously at me. I almost feel guilty. Not for Nick, but for his late mother. If she was alive today and found out about Nick's 'hobby', boy, I wonder how such a caring person would have taken that situation. 

"Why shouldn't I? Honestly, do you think your mom would have been appreciative of you? She spent her last days with you for your happiness. She was never happy, but you were. The only joy she had discovered was from you, and now if she was still alive, all of that joy would have vanished. Disappeared. And I'm speaking nothing but the truth. Nick Grey, don't come into my life ever again. I don't even want to see your grotesque face." Okay, that was a bit too much, knowing for a fact he's hot, but still. He deserved that.

I start to leave and the woman who took our orders asks, "Ma'am, do you want it to-go?" I ignore her and continue to the door. But just then she comes in, flanked with Blake and these two other goons. I groan.

"Hm, McGrady, I'm so glad to see you here. What a coincidence, actually. Nick over there texted me and it sounded very urgent. But things don't have to get rushed with a petty person like you." Her eyes flicker to my friends who are still at the booth, bewildered by this all. "Oh, and I see you brought friends. How sweet." 

"Stephanie," I growl. "Right now is not the time." 

"Oh, it is honey. You've been running away for too long." She curls a mane of her long black hair around her finger. "Boys, do your job." Blake runs over to me and grabs my hands. He holds them from my back and I try to get myself out of his grip, but he has a firm hold on my hands. The other two goons lead the two of them to the back entrance of the diner.

"Leave those innocent girls alone! I'll call the cops on you!" The woman's arm is shaking as she holds up the telephone. Stephanie walks over to her with a smile planted on her face.

"Ma'am, I advise you not to do that." She pulls a pistol from her right boot and points the gun at the woman's temple. "Let's play a little game of 'Stephanie Says,' okay?" The woman nods her head in fear. "Stephanie Says put the phone down. And Stephanie Says keep your mouth shut, otherwise Stephanie will find you and do bad, bad things to you. Understand?" The woman nods her head again, speechless. She turns away from her and walks towards Nick. "Blake, can you please escort Kayla outside? I need to talk to Nick."

"Yes Steph," he replies. "Come on." He tightens his grip on me as he leads me outside. 

"Where are you taking my friends? Get the hell off of me!" Okay, so I know he won't listen to me, but this is the only idea I have to get information out of him. 

"Nice try Kayla. Get into the van." He shoves me inside the same black van I've seen at the park and slams the door. Bonnie and Veronica are not in here. I look through the window to my left and see another van that's driving away. They must be in there. I pound on the window and fumble with the door handle. The door won't budge. These people may be druggies but it doesn't mean they aren't clever.

Blake opens the van again and holds up a needle. "You're a pretty unstable girl. Here's something that can make you calm down." He rolls up the sleeve of my shirt. He injects the needle and I feel drowsy within seconds. "Sweet dreams."

***

Okay, so I shouldn't have told Zahra my nightmare. Because my nightmare is turning into reality but it's far more worse than I expected. Stephanie is probably one of the problems I have right now other than being kidnapped by my peers. I don't open my eyes but I hear her voice. "I know you're awake, Kayla. Don't play games with me now." She nudges me gently as if I were an infant. 

I still keep my eyes closed. I'm probably strapped on a bed now, but I'm not sure. I don't feel a thing. Maybe it's because of what Blake injected me with. I'd rather have another nightmare than talk to this evil witch. "Get up or I'll call Karl and Michael and tell them to torture your little pesky friends."

"You're bluffing," I mumble. I reluctantly get up and squint at her since there's a harsh light in the room. "Happy?"

"Very. Okay, you are needed. We're having a meeting and you must be participating in it. This meeting is about you, so you must feel special. We rarely do this." She opens the door of the small room I'm in. I was lying on a cot and that's pretty much what's in here, nothing fancy. I roll my eyes. I definitely feel special.

I leave the room with Stephanie clacking her heels behind me. She chews on her gum and I wish I can slap the smirk off her face. "Faster," she orders. I walk faster and  she steers me into a bigger room that must be the living room. I'm guessing we're in a shack, because the walls are mainly made out of logs. Nick, the 'Detective' Karl and Michael, and this blond guy all sit around the table.

"Is that your natural hair color?" I ask out of the blue before I can stop myself.

He looks up at me with brown eyes that somehow hold amusement. "Don't be smart with me, girl. Take a seat. The sooner we start, the sooner we get to...cooperate." I raise an eyebrow as I sit down next to Michael. I look at Nick and when he looks at me, for merely a second, he looks away and hides his face. I don't trust him anymore. I'm not even sure that he told me the truth.

"Okay Kayla, you must be wondering why you're here. We find you as a valuable weapon. I've watched you closely, and so has Nick here." Nick still keeps his eyes turned away from mine. "You're bold, courageous, and the list can go on and on. But most of all, you are loyal. And that's what I like to see."

"Why I would I be loyal to you if you're hurting my friends? That doesn't even make sense." I cross my arms and look at him suspiciously. "Besides, where are they?"

"You shouldn't need to worry about that right now. But anyways, you work with us, and we'll eventually free your friends."

"Eventually? Are you out of your damn mind?" I grit my teeth and clench my fists.

Stephanie leans down and whispers, "You shouldn't talk to Boss like that."

"I just did and I won't take it back," I hiss. I turn back to the blond guy. "How about if I just keep quiet about this and you let my friends go? You'll know if I told anyone, because the three of them can keep an eye on me."

He leans forward and gives me a grim stare. "Have I mentioned you're impossible to compromise with?" I raise my eyebrow. He sighs. "Damn it, fine. But," and there's the but," you'll have to at least tell your friends to keep quiet, or this will happen again, and things will be more severe." I stand up.

"Thank you," I mumble. "Where are my friends?" I ask again.

"Nick, please take our guest to her friends." I glare at him as Nick stands up and reluctantly walks over to me.  He leads me down the hall, and the last thing I hear the blond guy say is, "You would have been of great use, Kayla."

***

He starts to open the brass doorknob but I stop him. "Can you like, give me some privacy?  Plus, I can open a door myself. You don't need to be a gentleman," I tell him.

"Kayla," he pleads. "You know I'm sorry. Please forgive me."

"Haha, you're so funny. A miracle would have to happen if I were to forgive you. And Nick, I don't think that miracle is coming soon." I open the door slowly and see both Veronica and Bonnie tied back to back. They're sitting on wooden chair and it seems like someone shoved a cloth into their mouths. Their hands and feet are bound by rope. I run over to them and quickly untie them with difficulty.

Once I get the cloth out of their mouths, they breathe heavily. "Kayla," Bonnie gasps. She falls into my arms and I hug her back. "I'm scared!"

"Don't worry, we're leaving right now." Veronica joins in and we just stay there, in a group hug. We're embracing each other out of fear. Even if I didn't show it, I'm scared to death and I really want to get the hell out of here.

"How do you know that?" she asks curiously.

"I talked with their boss and I agreed with him that if we tell someone about this, we'll get in far more trouble than we already are. But I have a feeling he's bluffing. We have to be cautious from now on." I glance at the door, and thankfully Nick's not standing there. I don't want to talk to him nor see him again. Heck, I don't even want to breathe the same air as him.

"How long have we been knocked out?" Veronica asks.

"I don't know, maybe a few hours?" I break from the hug and walk over to the door. "Come on, we can go now." I let them get out first and then shut the door behind me. I notice that a few strands of my hair got out of my braid, but now it doesn't matter. I just want to get out of this sick place. I can worry about my hair later.

We walk down the corridor, both of them ahead of me. I check my pockets for my wallet, keys, and phone. None of them are in sight, and I start to panic. They trapped me. They took my belongings and when I'll go get them, they'll either free my friends or kidnap them again, and then they'll make me do their dirty business. Wow, I'm so stupid. I continue to look through my pockets and remember that I brought a bag with me when I went to Sandie's. It must be in the room I was sleeping in.

"Guys, I'll be back!" I shout at them. They look at me with confused looks, and I just tell them to get the hell out of here. "Go!" They eventually scramble away and run farther down the unusually long hall, while I try to find the room where I was sleeping. I check room to room. Finally, I reach the one room I didn't check and open the doorknob. Once I stepped into the room, a cloth is placed in my mouth and tied at the back of my head. My screams are muffled and futile.

Right now, I don't care what these bloody bastards want from me. I just want my friends to run, and I hope they managed to escape. Since I can't speak right now, I think, Oh Allah, please lead them to safety. I look around desperately and I see Nick. Again.

God, this kid has issues.

I glare at him angrily but keep calm. All that matters now is that they're safe. And I have an inkling of what I'll have to do if I want to take my last step out of here. Alive, I hope.

Nick eases the cloth out of my mouth and I breathe heavily. I notice that we're so close together. He has his hands on mine, holding them behind my back. Maybe I don't feel a thing because of what Blake injected me with, but I don't at all feel tired. My eyes search his face for something, anything. We don't say anything for a long time. I almost think that he's going to plant a slow, long kiss on my lips. Almost. But why the hell would he if he's trying to kidnap me, again?

"Why are you looking at me?" I ask, breathless.

He sighs and replies back seriously, "You're everything I've looked for in a girl. Beauty, sincerity, bravery, intelligence, everything. Even though you hate me right now, I like you. No matter how impossible you are, I still do. Even when I'm angry, I don't completely hate you. There's something that prevents me from...not liking you."

I fake a yawn. "Don't tell me you want to recite a Romeo & Juliet monologue next."

"I'm serious, Kayla. Why else would I help you escape?" Our closeness is still bothering me, but I don't say anything about it. Well, at first.

"Because you're...help me escape?  You're lying to me, just stop it with your lies!" I get my hands free from his now loose grip and I back away from him. "Why did you kidnap me in the first place?"

"Because...I witnessed something that I shouldn't have and now I have to work for Boss. It's hard to explain. I'll tell you another time." He shoves his hands in his pockets awkwardly. Wow, the bad boy being awkward, okay.

"And still you pick this little job over me? I thought you said you like me." I shake my head. "I'm not hearing things, am I? Because you said that I'm everything you've looked for in a girl. You know what, the monologue would have been better."

"Shh, they might hear you. C'mon, Kayla." When he reaches for my hand, I shake my head again vigorously. His expression looks slightly pained but I don't care. I just want to see if this boy is telling the truth.

"Where am I going if I don't even know the plan?" I ask dubiously.

"You'll have to jump out of a window in the next room. I'll call everyone and tell them I have something important to discuss while you be cautious of escaping without making a noise," he whispers. "But I have to put the cloth in your mouth again and hold your hands without raising suspicion." I reluctantly nod. "I know, it's not the best plan, but it's all I can think of."

He ties the cloth at the back of my head again and holds my hands firmly. "Don't act, be. Do that if you want to save your life."

"How about...you? What if they find out?" I inquire, almost sincerely.

He smirks. "I know I'll be in a lot of trouble. Come on." I walk in front of him, and my back is against his chest. I can't do anything about it since he's holding my hands. I look around desperately. I have to be. Not pretend.  

He opens the door and closes it behind him. Then we walk five steps and enter the next room. This room is similar to the last one, except it's a little bigger and it has a window. It also has an actual bed, not a cot. I tense up as he leads me there. He chuckles lightly as he sees my expression. "You're getting the wrong idea. I need to handcuff your hand to this bed, supposedly. You'll have to hide your 'handcuffed' hand so if anyone comes, they won't notice."

I nod since I can't speak right now. This is a totally new side of Nick I've never seen. He's helping me escape this rotten place because he likes me. I don't think he pities me though. Well, wouldn't he since he likes me? I'm new at this liking thing since I strictly had to live with a boyfriend-free life, no matter how pathetic it sounds. But now it doesn't seem pathetic since I can't date in the first place. 

We look at each other as he takes a handcuff and handcuffs it to a pole behind me, at the head of the bed. I scoot over so I can block my left hand. I take the cloth out of my mouth. "Why...why do you like me? Now that I'm Muslim?"

Nick shrugs. "Well, I got upset about it but why should I? Just because you're Muslim doesn't mean my feelings have changed for you, and it doesn't mean you're any different. Uh, and," he scratches the back of his neck, "why are you not wearing a scarf if you're Muslim?"

I roll my eyes. "I'm not ready for the criticism. I will soon, though. Maybe when we get back to school." 

He nods. "Okay. Go whenever you're ready." I nod and he ties the cloth back. I look around as he stands up to leave. He opens the door, mutters "Bye," and exits the room, closing the door. I suddenly feel bereft without Nick here. I don't even know if I like him. Maybe I do. But I'm not lacking anything since I have Allah. I smile a little because of how He's always there to protect me, protect everyone He loves.

Okay, time to be bad-ass and escape knowing that you may be caught but don't give a damn since your friends might be alright, I think fiercely. I hear someone coming down the hall and their footsteps get louder as they near the door. Stephanie opens the door and looks at me with amusement. "Oh, I see. Nick handcuffed you and...cut off your speech. How convenient. I don't want to listen to your bratty voice." She smirks comically as I glare at her. "What a sweet little girl. You want anything to eat?" I shake my head. "Good, 'cause I wasn't about to give you anything anyways." She closed the door and the click clack of her heels descend down the hall.

I opt to waiting a few more minutes until I escape. The window is my door of freedom, and it doesn't wait for me. It's closing as I wait around for these stupid people to go and congregate for the 'meeting'. I tap my foot and wait and wait. I hear Nick yell around the shack, telling them to go into the living room. I wait and wait for silence in the halls. I wait and wait for a sign that the coast is clear. I hear distant voices, maybe now in the living room. The shack is small, so it's possible that they are in there. I get up quietly and open the window.

I get one leg out. I duck my head as I get myself out of there swiftly. The window is big enough for two people to get out at the same time. I take off the cloth and leave it in the room. Five steps into freedom and I forget my stuff! I run over to the backyard and climb over a fence. I'm finally out, but my phone, and keys, and everything are not with me. That's why I came back in the first place. This is so frustrating.

Everyone must be calling me now; Mom, Bonnie, Veronica, and maybe Zahra as well. Zahra didn't call ever since her flight was canceled. My other friends will wonder where I am and Mom...Don't let me start with my mom. She must be calling the cops now. 

I sit on the grass and wait for Nick to come outside. I think about the text I was sent the other day. It must be from him. No one else texted me, which I'm thankful for. I pull blades of grass out from the ground and count them. I have nothing to do. I can't even leave now since I need my stuff. I might sound stupid, since I'm risking my life again just for my stuff. They might search through my contacts and somehow track my family and friends down and-

"THE F*CK! WHERE IS THAT B*TCH?!" I jump and hit my head against the picket fence. I wince and rub the back of my head. I grit my teeth and breathe quietly. Blake, the stupid bastard he is, starts to shout some more and I hear glass shattering. I close my eyes and pray and pray the he won't figure out I'm here. You may think I'm stupid for sitting here, awaiting my doom, and not opting to run away. Well, now I've learned to put my faith in Allah.

I hear loud thumping footsteps and stay where I am. Nick approaches me with, thankfully, my purse, and hands it to me. He breathes heavily and I look at him uncertainly. "You know I'll tell you, don't ask." I nod. "Come on, we need to get the hell out of here." He grabs my hand, and his is sweaty, rough, and callused. My heart thumps as he drags me behind him, and I struggle to catch up, because I'm distracted by him.

"Er, you know, we're not supposed to make skin contact and-" I start but he cuts me off.

"Dammit, Kayla...can you not! I'm trying to sa-save...your damn...life!" he sputters as he continues to run. My legs start to burn. In the distance, I hear more shouting and engines revving. My palms start to sweat and my hair sticks to my head. I shut up and continue to run along with Nick. He eventually stops and lets go of me. He does the unexpected--he picks me up and carries me. I let out a scream as I kick my feet.

"Calm down Kayla. Don't start now," Nick roughly orders. I nod my head and I let out yet another yelp as Nick starts to run, my weight not even affecting how fast he is. I must be surprisingly light to him. I feel his hard muscles as I wrap my arms around his neck. I lean my head against his chest and he scrambles, accelerating speed as the cars behind us are chasing us. Nick carries me to an alley and hides behind one of the walls of an old building.

We don't utter a word as the car passes by and misses us. My heart thumps and beats louder in my chest. My life is like an action movie--it's full of fleeing, kidnapping, bad guys, all that awesome stuff. I always thought my life was boring, but I guess it was up until now. Oh god, how am I going to explain all of this to Mom when I eventually get home? Yeah Mom, well there were these thugs who wanted me to help them deal drugs, but I refused and I got kidnapped, TWICE, and may I also add a hunk managed to save me. It's all good.

I wish.

I look up and see sweat glistening on his forehead. His sea-green eyes are wild and full of fury. I listen to his raspy breaths and try to breathe the same pace as him, as if to harmonize. I can't since he's breathing too hard and too quick. "You know, you can breathe a little slower," I advise. "And, don't breathe so loud. They might find us." He nods but I don't think he really listened. He looks around with a cautious look in his eyes before running again. This time, I wrap my hands around his torso.

I haven't realized that I was unexpectedly calm. Why am I calm? I must be used to this stuff. Aren't I afraid of getting kidnapped, again, and being held hostage? All the cruel people, what will they do to me? I shake my head to rid these thoughts and focus on where Nick is heading. He runs a block or two before we hear another car. My breathing hitches as I hear a door slam.

"Kayla?" Once my name slips out of her mouth, I tell Nick to stop running. I tell him to put me down, and he does. I struggle to put on my bag and dust off my jeans, which are dirty from sitting on the grass, possibly mud. I run to her and envelope my arms around her. She breathes a deep sigh of relief and kisses me on the cheek and forehead.

"Bonnie and Veronica called. What happened?" She glances at Nick, who gives her a tiny smirk. "And who is that boy?" she whispers cautiously.

I sigh. "Long story short, there were these people who kidnapped us. As for him, he acted like he was part of them, but really, he helped me escape." I look at my shoes and wait for her answer. "And you should thank him for that," I add quietly, realizing I haven't said thank you myself.

"Did-did they tried to..." she falters.

I shake my head, surprised at her assumption. "No, nothing like that! It's just that they wanted me to join their...drug circle thing. Whatever it is." I start tapping my feet and my palms start to sweat more.

"Drugs?! Kayla, you'll never go near one in your-"

"Mom, you know I said no. I'll never do drugs. Or even smoke. Okay?" I look her in the eye to assess if she believes me.

"Ma'am," Nick says, coming closer to us. "I assure you that your daughter will never do drugs. She really wanted to get the hell out of there, and I know. I helped her escape."

"Then why did Bonnie and Veronica get to escape before you?" she inquires dubiously. I kind of feel betrayed by the tone of her voice. She's actually thinking that I'd do this.

"At first, they let us go. I forgot my purse so I went to go get it, unless I wanted you and everyone else on my contacts to be stalked by these people. Anyways, I went to go get it and that's when Nick kinda kidnapped me again. Everyone else didn't know about his plan to help me escape. After I did, I waited for him and when he came, that's when we started to run."

Mom sighs and her forehead creases with lines. "If you helped her escape, why didn't you call the cops first?"

Now it's his turn to explain. "Well, I wasn't thinking a lot when I thought of the plan." My mother murmurs something but motions for him to continue. "Also, even if I did call the cops, my...comrades would figure out it was me."

She rubs her temples and looks at Nick, then to me, and back at Nick again. "Well, thank you for helping my daughter. Now Kayla, get in the car. I'll just go to the police and file some reports..."

"No!" I blurt out involuntarily. "They said that if we snitch, they'll do something to my friends."

"But this is gambling with your own safety! Don't you ever worry if you'll get hurt?" She looks at me with a hint of sadness.

"Mom, I need to worry about my friends too!"

"Haven't you realized if you get hurt, you'll just hurt me, your father, and everyone else who loves you?" Her words finally silence me but once I again I talk back to her.

"The same thing applies to my friends. Everybody has loved ones who will risk their own lives to save theirs. I know you'd do that for me, any time given. There are people who do such stupid things because they love someone unconditionally...which is really courageous, sweet, and outright idiotic. But can't I be the one who'd do that? Someone already has done the same for me." I don't look at Nick. But I know he's looking at me. If I do return his stare, I'll just melt down into nothingness. He risked his own life to save mine and I don't know how I'll ever pay him back.

Mom doesn't say a thing either. A silent tear rolls down her cheek, that's all. Nick clears his throat and says warily, "Uh, I think you should go. They are still searching."

"Yes, of course. Kayla, I won't tell you again." I nod and ask her if I can say something to Nick. She reluctantly nods but goes into the car and tells me I have a minute.

I look up at Nick and sigh. I fold my hands and try to find the right words to say. "First, I want to say sorry. Now I understand why you're a part of this. You witnessed something and you had to be the way you are now. And, thank you for saving my life. I would have been fine but you didn't want me in there. I don't know how I'm going to pay you back but I will soon."

He smiles. "You don't need to. I don't need to be rewarded just because I helped you."

I sigh again. "How... kind of you. And how about them?" I ask worriedly.

"I'll just make up a story that you went to the bathroom and somehow escaped through the window. I'll just say I was trying to find you but you were nowhere in sight," he says simply.

"And you said that you didn't think about this." I smile and he smiles more. "Well, I think I'm going to see you at school, depending on my mom's decision. She's very strict, you know."

He laughs. "I have an inkling. Well, see you then. Be safe."

"I hope. Bye." I get into the car and puff my cheeks and exhale. Today has been a long day. Maybe the craziest of my life.

***

I get home by the time it's dusk and pray all the prayers I've missed. After that, I just sit on the prayer rug and profusely thank Allah that I've been out of this situation sooner than I could have ever imagined. Mom's words still sting me, even though I know they're true.

Haven't you realized if you get hurt, you'll just hurt me, your father, and everyone else who loves you?

And I still can't get over the fact that Nick saved me. I mean, that was kinda romantic but totally unexpected. I don't know if he sincerely did this for me or if he's just playing mind games with me. I'm leaning towards to believing the prior, but I'm not sure if I can trust him enough.

I also can't get over the fact that I'm starting to like him. The first day I met him, I told myself I won't fall for him because the bad boy and good girl romance is just too cliché, and stupid. I thought he was a butthole the whole time but who nows, people change.

By this time I would have discussed this with Zahra, but I don't feel like getting up. I still sit on the rug and think over my thoughts about the series of events that happened today. I hear a knock on the door and before I could take off my hijab and hide it along with my rug, someone opens it. I sigh loudly and nervously, realizing I haven't locked my door.

"Kayla come down for-what are you wearing?" Mom asks in disbelief. "Please tell me that Zahra left some of her scarf things in here."

Oh my god. I'm finally confronting her about this and I'm not ready. I stand up and face my mother and look at her with a neutral expression. "No, Zahra didn't leave anything and this is called a hijab, Mom."

Her hand raises to her mouth in utter shock and she looks at me with puzzlement and something that looks like...betrayal? "What has gotten into your mind?! You're a Catholic!"

"No, Mother, I'm Muslim. And nothing has gotten into my mind. Well, only that I know Islam is my religion." I don't make eye contact with my mom and I can hear her sobbing quietly. It makes me feel bad that I've hurt her but this is the right thing to do. I grab my hijab and take it off. "This is what I'll wear from now on, no matter if you like it or not."

She shakes her head. "You're not who I raised you to be! Just...get out of here." I look at her with a confused expression.

"What?" I ask with a heart broken tone.

"I said, get out! Take your stupid stuff with you and leave." She points to the door and I still stare at her, confused. A few hours ago Mom was willing to risk her life for mine but now this? Hot tears run down my cheeks as I gather my stuff: my copy of the Qur'aan, prayer rug, abaya, and hijab. I leave the room reluctantly as Mom shouts, "OUT!" I run down the stairs and wipe my tears as they spill copiously.

I grab a pair of flats and put them on outside. I don't even bother close the front door. I put on my abaya and hijab right then and there and carry the other possessions I've taken with me. I feel something in the pocket of my abaya and take it out. Money. Only a few twenty-dollar bills and several quarters is all I have.

I start walking farther and farther away from the place I once called home and never look back. My own mother has kicked me out of the house and it'd be a shame if I ever looked back.

***

I FINALLY UPDATED. DAMN THAT WAS HARD WORK.

I apologize for rushing the last scene, but that's what you've kept asking for, and it's here! Man, she finally had the guts to do it.

Kayla needs a nickname...Kay-kay? Nah, that sounds very...kk-like. Uh...La-la? Nope, it reminds me of Lalaloopsy and I'm not a freaking seven-year-old.

I apologize for digressing. Anyways, vote. And comment. And tell me what you think about Nick, and the feelings he developed for Kayla, and her mother's reaction, and how boss Kayla is, walkin out that house...

It's 10:35 P.M. and I tend to be weird. Don't judge.

Okay, one more thing: SHOULD I WRITE ANOTHER SEMI-CHAPTER? NICK OR ZAHRA? OR BOTH?

Sorry, I know I'm annoying!

Bye.

For now.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.3M 138K 52
"You fall in love with the most unexpected person at the most unexpected times." ▪▪ He stroke my arm with his hand and carefully followed his own act...
325K 10.2K 42
WARNING: THIS BOOK NEEDS MAJOR EDITING (Book I in broken series) "What are you doing on my bed? Get down right now." He growled. i got startled and...
JAWAHIR By hafsatou

General Fiction

338K 37.8K 62
JAWAHIR is the only daughter to a single mother hajiya saratu who forced her into an arranged marraige to the son of her childhood best friend hajiy...
28K 961 10
Rabiatul and Zayd : Married for 7 years, In love, runs a successful business, had a son, having a perfect life. Or so she thought. Being a stay-at-ho...