The Flames of the Dove (FIRST...

By ElenaRose18

Italy, 1487. The Knights Templar, led by the notorious Rodrigo Borgia, head on a Crusade to slaughter all 'Do... More

The Flames of the Dove
PLEASE READ!
Author's Note
Character List
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Epilogue

Chapter 43

20 1 0
By ElenaRose18

CHAPTER 43

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

FEBRUARY - MARCH, 1500

*Apostolic Palace, Rome, Papal States*

Entering the assembly room, Niccolo revealed the shocking news.

"He survived..." Niccolo explained, the words no one was expecting as Lucrezia was relieved.

"Can I see him?"

Niccolo nodded and she hurried away to her husband, Alfonso of Aragon, laying in the infirmary of the garrison.

"How is it possible?" Ana asked. "So much blood left him and he was stabbed in such crucial places."

Niccolo sighed. "His wounds were cauterised, limiting the blood loss and infection." He looked at Dario. "It was Sofia who saved him."

All eyes fell upon the Pope who was in denial, shaking his head. "No...she is responsible for his attack."

"Why would she attack him and then save him?" Vannozza asked as Rodrigo banged his fist on the arm of his throne.

"No! She did this and she will be held to account!"

Dario shook his head at his father. "You can't just blame her because you want to. You need proof."

"She was the one that was with him!" Rodrigo cried as Dario shook his head.

"But she is capable of so much so why would she stab Alfonso? And even if she did, why would she then save him?"

He pointed an intimidating finger at his own son and shook his head. "You just want to see the good in her. She is still wanted on charges of witchcraft and I want her found!"

"More importantly..." Niccolo cleared his throat, getting the attention of everyone present. "We wait for Alfonso to wake up and find out what he has to say. He must know who is responsible."

Dario looked at his father who reluctantly agreed. "I still want the witch found."

***

In the garrison, Ana remained alongside Dario and Niccolo at all times, since being held, hostage. It was safer for one of them to be with her rather than let her be alone.

As Niccolo stepped out from the infirmary, Gioffre and Ana were sitting on the wooden steps of the scaffolding, jumping up at Niccolo's appearance.

"How is he?"

"Still not awake. Lucrezia will not leave his side but we told her as soon as he wakes up, we have to be told...

Ana played with her hands. "Sofia wouldn't do this. It doesn't make sense."

"But Father is on a mission to blame her for something..." Gioffre explained, as he remembered something. "Wait...when little Rodrigo was born, Sofia said she had a vision? A sight into the future and she saw this - Alfonso being stabbed on the steps of the Basilica!

"What?" Ana asked. "Did she see who it was."

"No...we can't prove she didn't do it but we also cannot prove that she did. I don't think Sofia was certain herself..."

Dario entered the garrison and he caught everyone's attention. "Anything?" Ana asked as Dario shook his head.

"I've tried to reconnect with her but..." He groaned. "This is not happening..." He turned to Niccolo. "Alfonso?"

"Alive and fighting. Sofia really did save his life..." Niccolo explained as Ana looked at Dario.

"You have to plead her case to your father. Alfonso would be dead if it wasn't for her..."

Dario shook his head. "He won't listen. Cesare has his ear."

"Then wait for him to be alone and get him to listen. Refuse to leave until he does..." Ana ordered, grabbing Dario's arms in frustration, everyone taken aback by her anger. "I cannot lose her..."

Dario nodded, taking her hands and kissing them. "Neither can I..."

"Oberto!" Papal Guards stood at the entrance of the garrison, Ana stepping away from Dario as the men came to Dario. "His Holy Father wishes to see you in his apartments."

It was as if they had been heard, Dario, looking at Ana who gave him a single nod.

He had to fight for Sofia.

***

In the assembly room, Dario entered to find his father alone, pouring wine into chalices.

"Son..." He said simply, the doors closing behind Dario as scoured the room. "We need to talk."

"About?"

Rodrigo looked at him. "I think you know..."

Dario sighed, shaking his head. "Father, no. I won't help you find her for her to be brought back here to face punishment for something that is not her fault."

"Dario," Rodrigo's voice was stern. "I want to talk...about her and you and...everything..." He handed Dario a chalice of wine. "I cannot deny that Alfonso is alive because of her. He lost too much blood and was at risk of infection but Sofia saved him..." Rodrigo looked out of the window to the bustle of Rome. "I know... no one would hurt someone only to save them and for what she is capable of, which I have seen with my own eyes, she wouldn't resort to stabbing someone if she wanted them dead. And then...why save him? I cannot let that go..."

"Father...she's not dangerous..." Dario spoke. "This isn't her...I promise you."

The Pope turned to his son. "Then who is she? What is she?"

"She is...extraordinary..." Dario smiled gently, recalling how remarkable Sofia was. "She has helped us in more ways than you will ever know. She is wonderful, generous, caring and kind and this...this isn't her..." Dario sighed. "I've never lied to you Father. Please...believe me."

Rodrigo sipped his wine, looking at his son. "I believe...she saved Alfonso. I believe she did not hurt him. But I want to know how..."

"How...what?"

Rodrigo looked up at a painting hanging over the fireplace of a beautiful field. "She is not dangerous...but you told me she came here to kill us...to kill me."

"Because you destroyed her family..." Dario explained. "You committed genocide against her people and she watched helplessly as her family home was burnt, the screams of her mother and sister echoing in the wilderness. She was a child and all alone and someone...took advantage of her vulnerabilities and convinced her that destroying you was the only answer..." Dario explained as Rodrigo shook his head. "She did not know any better, so yes, she came here to Rome with that goal but over time...she changed her mind..."

Rodrigo looked at Dario, paining him at the realisation that his actions once upon a time had severe consequences for his family. "Because of you?"

Dario shook his head. "Because of Lucrezia and Gioffre..." He explained. "She changed her mind about all of it long before anything ever happened between us. She knew destroying you, which she was more than capable of, would mean bad things for Lucrezia and Gioffre who have done nothing and she couldn't do it, especially as they had only ever shown her kindness."

Rodrigo was stunned as he threw back the remainder of his wine. "I don't...I can't..." He couldn't find his words.

"Father..." Dario stepped towards him, putting his chalice down on the table. "You calling me here to talk to me without Cesare around means you have some faith in what I have already told you..."

Rodrigo looked at him. "Cesare...he..." His hands came to his chest and then his neck and Dario frowned as his father gasped for air.

"Father?" He reached for him as Rodrigo panicked, strained gasps escaping him as Dario held him. "Father!" Pope Alexander VI collapsed and Dario called for help.

Papal guards came running in as an order for Niccolo to be found was given and the Pope was carried to his chambers and laid on the bed.

In the garrison, Niccolo was checking on Alfonso, Lucrezia and Vannozza by his side as Papal Guards came rushing in.

"His Holy Father has collapsed!"

Niccolo ran, the Borgia family on his tail as he arrived in the Pope's apartments. Vannozza gasped at the sight of Rodrigo, struggling to breathe.

***

"His Holy Father...was poisoned with ricin..." Niccolo stated and the court gasped.

"How?" Cesare asked, having been called back to the Palace as Rodrigo fell ill.

"Ricin doesn't take long to take action so it must've been in the wine he was drinking before he collapsed..." Niccolo explained as Cesare looked at Dario.

"What did you do?"

Dario frowned. "Are you insane? Why would I have done something to my own father? I'm not like you."

"You were drinking wine with him and while he seems to have been poisoned, you are standing here, fine..." Cesare remarked as Dario shook his head.

"I didn't poison him."

Cesare scoffed. "I wouldn't put it past you."

Anger was building in Dario at the insinuation and he glared at his brother. "What exactly does that mean?"

"It means if you get Father out of the way, you can go on a search to find that witch of yours!"

"Watch your tongue, Cesare," Dario warned. "Throwing accusations like that will not end well for you."

"Dario would never harm father..." Lucrezia replied as Cesare raised his hand, silencing everyone.

"Father is down, therefore as the eldest son, I am the patriarch of this family..." Cesare explained as he turned his head slightly, his guards, removing their weapons in intimidation.

"You would point swords at your own family?" Vannozza cried, grabbing Lucrezia's hand in fear as Dario remained unphased, staring his brother down.

"I will do what I have to do to protect this family from anything further..." Cesare turned to his guards. "Dario Oberto is under arrest for treason." Guards arrested Dario, unarming him instantly.

"You wanted this...all along..." Dario replied, trying to fight the hold the guards had on him. "This is all your doing."

Cesare came to him and laughed. "You have no proof..." He turned to the Pope's throne - a gilded glory of power and all that came with it. "While His Holy Father is recovering, I will take on his...duties."

"You bastard..." Dario snarled but Cesare simply raised his hand, his brother dragged away as Vannozza and Lucrezia cried for Cesare to stop.

But nothing would stop him - he had finally got what he wanted.

***

On the mend, Alfonso finally woke up.

He was alone in the infirmary and his eyes fluttered open. It was dark - no one was with him and he suspected nothing other than everyone was asleep.

His hands gently traced the scars on his body from his injuries. He knew who had done this to him and he had to wait till someone came to him before he revealed the perpetrator.

Sofia had saved his life.

He had to return the favour.

Closing his eyes, he heard the curtains of the infirmary open and he opened his eyes, his vision adjusting in the darkness.

Five men stood around the bed and Alfonso panicked.

"Cesare sends his regards..." Lorenzo's menacing voice was over him as a pillow came down over his face.

His hands and legs were restrained as Alfonso tried to fight it but he was weak against five burly men.

As his vision faded and his ears rang, he saw a life he could've had.

With Lucrezia in Naples - living with their many children. Away from politics and away from the Borgias.

They were happy and free, in love and content.

His body shut down but his thoughts held on.

All his memories replayed for him as a tear fell from his eyes.

And he whispered in his head, as he stopped fighting;

Be happy, my Lucrezia.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Hi everyone!

So, what do you all think?

Cesare is now in charge and he will rule with an iron fist. 

Ricin is the poison that is found in Castor beans. Rodrigo has been saved for now but he will remain incapacitated for a while. 

Alfonso of Aragon actually died in August of 1500 but I've bought his death forward a few months. 

Here is Ana's only outfit for this chapter;

She is pretty much a hostage until further notice. 

So, what happens next?

Things are getting exciting!

See you all in the next chapter!

xxx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

71.4K 1.7K 33
Scarlet has a past she tried to run from... But it followed her. The past can only stay in the dark for so long before it comes back. *...
488 0 28
Too many things have happened in Sofia Petrescu's young life. She had to leave her mother and grandmother behind in order to protect them from hersel...
76.3K 7.5K 40
Commoner Giovanna teams up with nobleman Matteo to save a friend from an arranged marriage, but they stumble into a sinister plot that could have vic...
37.3K 1.4K 74
Your used to the regular vampire stories. A human girl falls in love with a vampire dude. But what if we do something different? Isabella is a member...