Repeating History

By Sawada_21

After returning from the war, 10 years in the future, Tsuna thought that things would settle down. Should hav... More

Prelude Introducing
School is a Playground
Foreboding
Attack
Where...?
Unknown Cause

Nightmare Fits

110 7 0
By Sawada_21

Tsuna jumped out of bed with a start of his mother's call from downstairs; (un)luckily before a certain Acrobaleno could hit him over the head with the Leon-sledgehammer. Feeling triumphant at avoiding the hit was short lived as the infant hitman starting shooting at him enough to singe his skin with a poor excuse of him being late for school.

Quick at dodging the bullets, he ran down the stairs while putting on his school uniform resulting him to fall beautifully face-first onto the flooring below, then scrambling into the bathroom to wash up before another round of metal could rain down on him.

The familiar scene of the many tenants around the activity-filled table at breakfast was a welcoming sight; so much different from before when it is just him and his mother. Lambo, I-Pin, and Fuuta were playing a game of rock-paper-scissors with the winner getting a slice of chocolate chip pancakes located between the three of them (Lambo losing with only two, I-pin has four, and Fuuta having five).

Bianchi was, unfortunately, next to Nana, making her poison-cooking. Tsuna's stomach churned in realizing that most of the food on the table looked normal meaning that the new skill that Bianchi had learned during the summer, which revealed at the Taka-sushi, was being put to good use.

A good thirty-second into staring at the food with no progress on identifying which was Bianchi's; another emergency siren of his intuition made him choose the toast. Grabbing his bento from his mother's hand, and out of the door just in time for Lambo's frustration reliever of throwing a random grenade and Reborn kicking the child towards him (along with the half dozen pink packages). Another lucky star on his 'luck or sucker of the day' list since he didn't get caught in the blast.

As he was running to school, he met up with Hayato and Takeshi, and a greeting that usually ends up in a one-sided conflict. Then came the usual routine of running late to class, bitten to death by Hibari, getting more homework, failed tests, injuries (due to his... extreme friends), and ending the day with him running home as 'Reborn's training session' of the day.

But as he ran from the giant green bolder rolling after him, he crossed the bridge that was heading to his neighborhood only for the scenery to change to unfamiliar territory.

"What happened? Where am I?"

Tsuna looked around what appears like a chapel, frantically trying to understand what had happened and unsure of how he got there or why. The columns encircled him as rainbow colored lights bounced around the room, sourcing from the mosaic colored glass lit up from the walls. Fright soon replaced to almost amazement as he gazed at each panel, each holding a story of sorts. As his eyes wandered, he caught a glimpse of a full body mirror sitting on a platform, across from the entrance that was now facing behind him. Noticing something strange in the reflection, he walked closer... Only to gape in disbelief.

"This has got to be a dream..."

Yes, there was the similar gravity-defying hair, but instead of the usual warm brown was a golden blond. Chocolate brown eyes didn't appear shocked in the reflection, only observing sapphire blue. His casual clothing that he thought he was wearing was now a formal suit and familiar mantel.

In front of him is Vongola's Founder...

This person is...

"Giotto..."

Before he could absorb what he was seeing, pain radiated from his chest down to his whole body. In the mirror he saw a tip of a sword jutting out of his chest, seeping the white shirt crimson as the dripping blood from the tip fell onto the fast collecting red pool at his feet. An auto reaction cough immediately came to play as something foreign invaded his lungs, tasting the metallic liquid that came up with it.

If he paid attention in biology class (Nezu-sensei wasn't efficient with teaching, but at least he showed pictures), the sword was in his left lung. That means three things: 1) will not be able to breathe in the needed amount of oxygen for his brain to function in... about two minutes... He coughed again... or maybe less... 2) he will drown in his blood that is supposed to keep him alive (not to mention it was also coloring the stone floors red) and 3) the pain felt real meaning this wasn't a regular dream.

"Giotto!" the voice of Hayato pulled him away from looking at the blossoming red to the entrance he could see in the back. He was expecting to see Hayato and several of the other Guardians to be standing at the entryway with multiple expressions of anger or passiveness, but then he realized... It wasn't his name that they called out. In the moment of his vision sharpened he could see the familiar faces of the First Generation Guardians reflected in the mirror with the same expressions, he imagined on his friends.

He would have laughed and commented on the similarities they possessed if it wasn't for the retracting blade that made him feel the burning pain all over again. His body couldn't handle the sudden retraction as his body fell backward. But instead of falling painfully to the ground, a pair of hands caught him, placing him on the ground slowly. Confused by the action of what he believed to be his attacker he peered through his hazed vision only to see the shadow of someone sitting beside him.

"I'm sorry, Giotto. But this was the only way to keep 'him' from getting what he wants," whispered a sad voice, not telling if it was a female or a male, as the silhouette outstretched their hand with something gleaming in his/her palm. A sense of familiarity filled him as he caught sight of the flame. His arm moved weakly without his notice as it wrapped around the slim wrist, lips moving on their own as his voice muttered the words he wasn't thinking of saying.

"D-don't ... If you do... y-you'll-" whatever he wanted to say next was interrupted by blood blocking his passageway making him cough in response. After clearing it out, his strength weakened his hand to drop to the ground.

"I know," a warm hand encased his fallen ones as the strained voice reminded him of a forced smile. "But it's better than dying in his hands."

Those words affected him deeply, as his heart wrenched into a terrible ache. The feelings that were not his own was overflowing with sadness and despair was only intensifying the pain he was having with his wound. And the person seemed to notice as he/she lets go of his hand, returning it to hover with the flame before lowering it onto his wounded chest.

"St...op..." desperation filled his voice and inner mind, but it quickly turned to gasps of pain. The firm contact felt like needles running on his nerves traveled in rapidly paced cycles around his body before warmth enveloped him. The relieving warmth overwhelms his tired body and mind pulled him to the familiar lull of sleep. But before he faded completely, the last words that he would hear crushed his heart filling it with regret.

"We will meet again... I promise..."

...

Reborn was in the midst of tucking in the passed out Tsuna when Iemitsu burst into the room.

Part of him was glad that the stupid advisor/no-good father had decided to appear in the time of need for his son; however, there was a part of him disliked the fact the boy's father was there at all considering the little stunt he put into coming home after the Ring Battles.

"Iemitsu," a voice called from behind him. Three heads went towards the aging boss, placing a hand on his trusted advisor's shoulder.

"Nono, I-" he stopped from the words of apologies to his boss, and friend, upon him raising his hand to stop him.

"I understand that you wished to see Tsunayoshi upon hearing his condition," he said with a small smile then turning sternly. "But leaving your post is irresponsible and could have jeopardized your son's whereabouts to other Famiglia's. He is, after all, the last of Vongola Primo's lineage; even his name hasn't been released to any of the affiliated Alliances. The information itself is only known to you, me, Reborn, the Cavallone boss, Tsuna's Guardians, and my Guardians. So if you wish to come see him next time, you have to be more discrete."

The blond had bowed his head in understanding as his gaze traveling up back to his sleeping son.

Timoteo smiled then turned to Reborn and Rena, who was sitting silently till now, bowed at him in acknowledgment, "Come you two, it is best to leave the father to tend to his child. Rena, I believe Lal has been looking for you, so it's best you go see what she wants."

"Yes, sir," Rena said before walking out to the halls. Taking a final glance into the room of the sleeping teen her hand unconsciously went to her necklace before she left and out of sight.

...

"Is something bothering you, Reborn?" Timoteo asked not moving his gaze away from the sky through the bulletproof window further down the hall to the bedroom.

"......... I can never bypass you, can I," the infant said with resignation after his long pause. Not bothering to see the grin upon the others face he leaned his back against the glass with his fedora hiding his grim expression. "The Volpe Famiglia is...was considered second to the Varia for assassinations. It's unbelievable to believe that they were massacred by the same people that attacked Tsuna and his two Guardians no less... The same flame signatures and battle marks found in both scenes; but even with Basil and Oregano looking into it, no identification can be made of the attackers. Fuuta's ranking of possible suspects proved futile since he can only identify groups that he knows by name."

"What about the Storm and Rain Guardians?" Timoteo asked as the frown deepened. "Weren't they with Tsunayoshi when the attacks occurred? They should be able to identify them since Tsunayoshi is out."

"I would have done so if it was only possible," he started earning a raised brow from the other before continuing the explanation. "One speaks in scientific-tongue, and the other is childish babble. I doubt even our top facial Reconstructionist would be able to decipher what they mean unless we have a specialist on board to translate... But I doubt we even have someone with a higher IQ than Hayato or someone low enough to understand the child talking Takeshi. And since Fuuta doesn't know who they are, must mean that no photographs are in our archives as well."

"I see," Timoteo said with a tired sigh of understanding as he leaned on the sill before he started again.

"Did you know that I was going to meet with the Volpe Boss this week?" the tipping of the fedora lift slightly signaling he was listening, "Apparently, something of importance was given to Volpe Primo by Vongola Primo himself."

"An item?" Reborn questioned curiously gaining a nod.

"I found the oath contract, but it didn't specify what it was; only that they should give it to us after 400 years had passed. I have a feeling that whatever the item was, it was enough to give them confidence that they could bypass the rules of the Vendici and try an assassination attempt on Tsunayoshi."

"Heh, I would have liked to see them try and get to my student when I'm there. I would have shot at them like they were game."

The elder chuckled; though it was not as distinct for most ears, it was enough for the Sun Acobaleno's eye to twitch at the sound. Hidden, as it may, by the rims of his fedora, it didn't stop the Don since he already had knowledge of the infant's feelings. "Don't be embarrassed Reborn. I had already known that Tsunayoshi would become an irreplaceable son to you the moment I read your... 'admirable' reports."

"He's just my dame-student, nothing else."

"Same difference."

"The relationship is one."

"No. A father is also a teacher to his son. With Iemitsu... regretfully, always overseeing CEDEF as Boss and Vongola's advisor... he's always been absent from his family's life," the other said sternly though shaking his head in disappointment. "It was unavoidable for Tsuna to look up to you as a father figure as you tutored him. In fact, I knew it would happen the moment that I sent you." Reborn was about to retort only to shut his mouth looking away in a sort of pout.

"Back to the main problem," Timoteo said no longer wanting to tease the hitman any longer. "If the Volpe family had such an item, the unknown assailant's must have heard about it beforehand and killed them to obtain it." His eyes wandered to the door they had shut a few moments ago. "But the problem is why they attacked Tsunayoshi. If they attacked me, they would have the throne as the greatest Famiglia with no knowledge of the Vongola heir, but instead, they attacked him. The secret of the Vongola Primo and his Guardian's Descendant are only told to us, as I said before. For them to obtain this information should be impossible."

"We should be wearier of why they want him alive, Nono," Reborn said his gaze also lingering to the doorway. "Going through the trouble to observe him for a day and use a modified fume of chloroform, just screams that they are up to something. It might even involve in the item that could have been in the Volpe's possession."

Another silent spell was cast over them. The turning of ideas mulling in their heads at what was discussed left them heavy with more questions than answers. It wasn't until several familiar loud voices coming from the stairwell reached their ears did they break off and cast the thoughts to the back of their minds.

"So, they decided to come after all," Reborn smirked as a group of teens turned the corner and coming their way.

"As the Vongola saying goes, 'As the Sky needs his Elements, the Element's needs their Sky;'" Timoteo quoted approvingly allowing his lips to turn to a smile. "They certainly embody that saying with them; coming to Italy to be close to him."

"Yeah," Reborn replied jumping onto the older man's shoulder like he did to his students. "And if we left them in Japan, they would start to worry; even if some don't show it directly."

"Doesn't that also apply to you, dear friend?" Timoteo questioned again hitting the topic of 'teacher/father' expecting no reply.

"Timoteo!" another voice called out from the other side of the hallway made them turn to the source. Running their way was the Ninth's Thunder Guardian. "We are going to be late for the meeting with the other bosses!"

Timoteo blinked and looked down at the expensive watch on his wrist. "Oh dear, you're right. Sorry, Reborn, I will all see you all tonight at dinner," the old man said sitting up and started walking up and meeting up to the running Guardian. He gave one last wave to the hitman before leaving the floor completely.

Reborn only smirked knowingly as he waited for the Guardians and company.

The first person to arrive at the top of the stairs, and notice him first, was the silver-haired bomber, still bandaged like the smiling swordsman. Breaking his argument from his usual banter partners, he dashed towards him, the others only followed slowly behind.

But as they came closer they froze. All heads turned wide eyes hearing one name being called out by a distraught father coming from the room he occupied.

...Time Reverse...

When Timoteo, Rena, and Reborn stepped out of the room, closing the door behind them, Iemitsu quickly closed the distance between him and his unconscious son, seating himself on the cushioned chair next to it and checking for anything that was dubbed as critical injuries. He sighed in relief to see nothing like a cast or blotching bandages; only occasional scratches and bandages on his face, arms, and head.

Once his fast-paced heart came down to a reasonable beat, his worried gaze fixated on the teen.

"Tsuna..." he said out loud not sounding boisterous, cheerful, strong, or serious for the first time in years. Instead, it sounded exhausted and... remorseful.

'He's grown so big...' he thought to himself taking in the sharpening features of the boy that no longer held baby fat. It was toned, sharper, bolder, and stronger since he had last stopped by for the Ring battles. 'He looks so much like a man now. No longer have those rosy chubby cheeks of his.'

Reaching out to brush away some of the brunettes stray bangs covering the sleeping face.

"Mmmnn..." Iemitsu quickly took his hand away afraid that he had it a sore spot on his son's head and awoken him. "Reborn... you Spartan-tutor... put away Leon.........stupid test..." Tsuna moaned painfully with matching expression.

Iemitsu sighed hearing the sleep talk (he has to admit that he had a few about the crazy hitman's way of training himself). From what he had heard from Nono and the letters that were daily reported to them by Reborn, Tsuna's and Nana's life back at home was filled with meeting new people and activities. However, there was also report on a few Mafioso's he had taken out in the shadows with knowledge of the heir living in Namimori. Fortunately, none of them had a clue who's the successor...

'Makes me wish I was there protecting you guys,' but after a moment he chuckled feebly to himself, shaking his head. 'What am I saying? I chose to leave them with no way of contacting me so that no one would know about the bloodline that Tsuna carries. It was the safest choice for the both of us... though it pained me to do so... or how distant we have become. If I went back home during those times, the assassins wouldn't just come once every blue moon; it would be every waking hour they step out of the house or out of my sight.'

Looking down at his now calmed son, he smiled slightly. "I should just be happy that he's alive and kicking then being ten feet under." With that, he placed his palm on the boys head and started for the door. His hands were already on the handle when he began to hear the continual sound of rustle sheets.

"...Gio...tto..."

Iemitsu, at first, thought that it was just a nightmare, but something inside him felt uneasy by the growing movement and sudden call of the ancestor's name. Looking over his shoulders, he could see the pained expression, glistening with sweat and the heavy breathing coming from the teen. But the one thing that made him drop any of the leftover hesitation to rush to his boy's side was a growing blotch of crimson from under a tightening grip on the chest as he tossed and turned about in a delirious like state.

"Oi, Tsuna, what's wrong!?" he called out trying to awaken the boy of his nightmares as he attempted to pry the grip off. Of course, this was a different matter entirely with the teen's strength; he couldn't budge the gripping hold. The struggling increased, and he gave up the idea of trying to unclench the fists to holding the boy down, "Wake up Tsuna!"

"What's going on, Iemitsu?!" Reborn asked with the others close behind. Everyone froze in shock at the door.

"Reborn! Help me out! He's not waking up!" Iemitsu yelled over his shoulder as he struggled to keep Tsuna from doing himself harm despite the multiple kicks he was receiving to his chest and abdominal. The hitman didn't have to be told twice as he jumped from Takeshi's shoulder and hurriedly jumped onto the bed, to land a harsh kick across Tsuna's face.

To everyone's relief, the struggling stopped, and his fists slacked on his chest with slight moans of waking. The father relaxed a little and got him to sit upright.

"Ita~" Tsuna groaned lifting his hand from his chest to left cheek. With one eye he opened, he looked down at his tutor. "Why are you always waking me up with violence Reborn?"

"Because you were having a fit just now," Iemitsu answered next to him grabbing his attention.

"Tou-san...? Wait, a fit...?"

"That's right Tsuna. We came rushing in here when we heard your dad yelling your name," Takeshi said, a little unnerved about the blood, with matching worried gazes from everyone else, save for Hayato who was sending glares at the Rain Guardian. Ryohei held Kyoko steady when they got closer; the sight of blood was making her a little unsteady. Haru held on to Lambo while Chrome held I-Pin in her arms. Bianchi was just behind them, just in case they were about to fall. Fuuta was by their side holding his ranking book tightly to his body, not taking the blood to well either.

"Everyone... what are you doing here?" he asked taking down his hand from his cheek and opened his left eye finally. Everyone stiffed the moment he did, a reaction that he wasn't expecting.

"What is it?" Tsuna asked tilting his head confused by why everyone was not saying anything.

"See for yourself, Dame-Tsuna," Reborn said handing his green reptile, changing to a mirror.

Taking it without question and more curious in what had made everyone look at him strangely and looked at his reflection.

.... And blinked...

....

....

"EHHH! WHAT IS THIS?!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

163K 5.5K 14
SUMMARY: After Reborn informs that Tsuna and his classmate gonna go on a trip to Italy, they roar in happiness, thinking of the rare chance to travel...
131K 4.3K 27
This is my 4th fanfiction or 3rd fanfiction WHICH I make myself. *** This story about Vongola Decimo which will go to the past and meet Primo. And th...
70 3 1
UNIVERSITY SEMI-AU! When Sawada Tsunayoshi finally came to Italy to take over the position of Vongola Decimo, he was expecting the toll University wo...
21.8K 611 21
Tsuna's 16th birthday is quickly approaching that means his inheritance ceremony is drawing near as well. But because Tsuna still uses his Dame act a...