Master's Vampire (Book 1 of T...

By c_kewpid

Evelyn, a Disabled vampire, slowly learns about feelings after being bought by her Master as a gift for his h... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Epilogue
Author's Note

Chapter 12

8.7K 444 71
By c_kewpid

Clarification: Evelyn only has one master (Alek). The rest are called that for formality.

I do not know why, but I wait from my position, not moving nor saying a word. I do not mean to intrude so I back up further away, but my hearing informs me that the lady is named Valerie. The rose emblem sewn on the saddle of her horse indicates she must be from a noble family of Rosehold, the neighboring region south of Argid. Judging from their interactions, they seem unnaturally close. But if that is so, I wonder why they meet at the back of the garden.

I take no interest in this, but I struggle on whether to inform Alvena. She will be curious if I return early. My train of thoughts disconnect when I hear steps on the grass from behind.

"Master Lucien," I greet with a bow.

"You're missing the curtsy," he points out. I do not give him one because he isn't expecting it. "Why're you wandering the gardens?" he asks while walking pass me to admire the roses.

"I come to fetch Master," I answer candidly.

"You found him?" he halfheartedly asks.

"Yes."

Master Lucien plucks a fresh rose from the bush and twirls it around his fingers. "Where is he?"

"Behind the vines."

"Alone?" He stands in front of me now, green eyes glistening in the afternoon sun. I hesitate, not knowing if I should answer or tell Alvena first. "With a lady?" he asks. Would Master want me to say anything? "Do you know who?"

I did not expect Master Lucien to talk so much. I am not sure if Master wishes for me to speak, but again, I am a servant and must answer truthfully.

"No. Yes. No."

He gives me the same smirk from this morning. "Would you like to know?"

If I answer no, he might not tell me and I will have to return to Alvena with nothing and be forced to report on Master. If I answer yes, I would be lying and he might not even tell me.

"Only if you would like to share," I reply.

"Well, I much rather not," he comments with relief. "Follow me to pick some roses would you?" he beckons me follow.

Master Lucien stops at a full rose bush, far enough for me to not hear Master, and starts picking. He gives them to me to hold as he selects one from each tree before hopping over to the next.

"Roses are red, violets are blue, but Evelyn's eyes are something new," he chants as he snips another red rose.

"No, Master Lucien. My eyes are red too."

"Really?" He places the rose in my hair and looks back and forth. "The shade is different." He places his hand under his chin as if thinking. "I like yours much more."

I blink once and stare blankly at him. "I like the roses more." Taking the plant out of my hair, I place it back into the pile with the rest of the flowers.

"Then you can have them," Master Lucien hands me the twelfth rose.

"Should I put these in Master's study?" I ask, unsure what he means.

"Please don't," he answers and leans near me until I feel his breath at my neck. "These are for you."

"I understand. I will not put it in Master's study."

Master Lucien turns around. "I'm afraid you don't, Eve~" I hear him sigh.

"I do understand, Master Lucien. These are for me because I like them."

He seems a bit more satisfied with my answer so he smiles and pushes me back in the direction of the main castle.

"Well then, if you do, you'd best be on your way. Your human mistress is awaiting you."

"Alvena has ordered me to assist Master."

"Eve, trust me," he says. "You'd be much more wanted prepping her for tonight. It's the third night after all."

"What is happening tonight?" I ask casually, something I shouldn't be doing to a high noble.

Lucien opens his mouth, but closes it as footsteps approach. I greet Master Alek.

"Evelyn, go back to Alvena," he orders. "I will have someone fetch you when it's time."

I turn back towards the castle, this time with an empty feeling, like I'm not satisfied. If Master did not appear, Lucien could have told me something. Now I am anxious to find Mistress and ask.

"Eve~" Lucien calls. I turn around. "You'll find out tonight. If you have questions, you can ask me the next time I visit." He winks with his emerald eyes before Master pushes him along the opposite direction.

Upon entering Alvena's room, Morwenna calls me to assist with final furniture placement.

"Where is Alvena?" I ask, while I add red petals to the new white bedsheets.

"Showering," Morwenna say with a gentle smile as she fixes the candles around the room. "When you're done, close the curtains and fix the bed while you're at it."

I do as told as she opens a tiny bottle the size of her palm. The scent of roses immediately drifts throughout the room. Morwenna twirls a little as she places a few drops atop the oil burner sitting on the table leading into the room.

"Isn't this smell just so romantic?" Morwenna breathes in a few times.

"How can something smell romantic?" I ask. Is Morwenna not recovered from the blood loss?

"Evelyn dear, because roses are romantic," she sighs happily. A strange combination indeed.

"Why roses?" I am not understanding this.

"Master Alek requested for this particular fragrance," Morwenna answers as she goes about to fluff up the pillows once more.

"I do not see Master as romantic," I say plainly. "He just likes roses with a passion." Morwenna tilts her head in amusement, urging me continue. "His study room has roses, he replaces his own roses, his garden has roses, his castle is surrounded by roses, and now he requests his room to smell like roses. In contrast to what Master Niles thinks, I believe roses are Master's true 'kink'."

Morwenna chokes as I give my explanation with a straight face.

"Don't let Master hear you say that," she scolds in her Head maid's authoritative tone with her hands at her hips. Seeing that I am clueless, she gives up and lets out a laugh. "Evelyn...Master Alek has his reasons...He would be upset if you stated it that straightforwardly."

"What happens on the third night?" I change the subject as I retie the bow on the bed curtains. Morwenna looks at me in slight surprise as if not expecting such a question so I calm her down with an explanation. Everyone in this household seems to want explanations. "Master Lucien told me to help Alvena prepare for the third night."

"I see," she answers. "Well, it's tradition for vampires to wed on the day of Hunter's Moon. Although Mistress is not officially married to Master, the Dietrich family still likes to honor the traditions. The third day is the day of consummation."

"I see," I repeat after her.

After setting up the room, Alvena steps out in a beautiful white dress that drapes to the floor. I stand idly and stare at her, not knowing I am making her uncomfortable until she politely tells me. Morwenna smiles and walks toward her with the rose scented fragrance.

All three of us are shocked when I instinctually grab Morwenna's wrist from spraying the rose scent onto the white-clothed human. They look at me and I know I must give another explanation.

"Alvena smells like winter snow. The rose scent will not suit her as well." I shock myself saying this. How can someone smell like winter snow? I must not be recovered yet either.

Thankfully, Morwenna seemed to understand my message and closes the bottle to my relief. She leaves us alone after lighting the candles in the room.

"Thanks, Evie," Alvena says when it is just the two of us.

The room is silent except for the human's soft breathing, but I sense nervousness. My hand reaches for hers and she gladly lets me take it. Upon the slightest contact, her heat radiates to my cooler skin and sits there comfortably like a warm pack.

I take this time to admire her unique beauty—so unlike the vampires and not exactly human-like either. Her glossy eyes have so much life that I'm slightly afraid to look at her. She is young, that much I can tell, definitely no older than seventeen. I wonder why Master took her in as only a mistress.

It's not long later when quiet footsteps break the silence out in the hallway. Before I have time to inform Alvena, Master pushes the doors open.

"Evelyn, stand outside," he says. Master is obeyed and I walk to the door, but the faint scent of a woman's perfume on his clothes isn't unnoticed. He probably sensed my curiosity for he turned around and personally escorted me to the door. "Sometimes, silence is key."

*******

9/29/17 A/N: Thank you for all your nice comments and votes!!! I enjoy reading each and every one of them!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

217K 12.3K 47
It was on the 500th century of hell that I saw my salvation. He had walked in with a devilish smirk and sharp features. He had walked into my hell...
20.3K 565 33
Some people are more unlucky than others, Evelyn knows this more than most, after being kidnapped from her house she finds herself at the mercy of cr...
208K 5.9K 28
Alec's hand gripped my wrist hard, "You're coming with me back to my pack." He stated. "No, I'm not." I pushed myself to say this. His nails were now...
Captive{ated} By Gabs

Mystery / Thriller

281K 11.9K 45
"First you captivated me... then you held me captive." Evelyn was like most college-aged girls working a part-time job when she met Caleb, who came i...