It Started with Skinny Jeans

By nikkichicky

Aria Jenson had been excited to be returning to Art Haven, a summer art camp she'd been attending since her p... More

Prologue
(Ch1) It Started on the First Day
(Ch 2) It Started with a Critique
(Ch 3) It Started With an Assignment
(Ch 4)It Started with a Pottery Lesson
(Ch 5) It Started With A Midnight Dip
(Ch 6)It Started With a Sweet Gesture
(Ch 8) It Started with Heartbreak
(Ch 9) It Started with a Helping Hand
(Ch 10)It Started With a Distraction
(Ch 11)It Started with a Confrontation
(Ch 12)It Started with an Apology
(Ch 13) It Started with Forgiveness
(Ch 14) It Started with the Unexpected
(Epilogue) It Started with a New Beginning.

(Ch 7) It Started With A Surprise

11.6K 165 25
By nikkichicky

It Started With A Surprise

“What do you think of this one?”

Tommy handed me a picture he’d taken late night of the scenic, picturesque view of the lake.

The moon had been crescent. The sliver of the light it emanated reflected in the almost calm waters of the lake, with dark yet wondrous woodlands that were visible in the background.

I popped another French fry into my mouth, chewing slowly as I studied the picture.

“Hmm…I –” I stopped continuing to analyse it. I found feel Tommy anxiously staring at me, as he awaited my response.

Honestly, I already knew what I thought if the photograph, but since I’m me and this was Tommy I liked to keep him in suspense a little bit longer.

“Aria!” he cracked, like I knew he would. “You could put a guy out of his misery here.”

I burst into fits of laughter, earning a not so subtle glare in my direction. “I’m sorry.” I looked at the photograph a moment longer before giving my honest opinion. “Honestly, I really like it.”

“Really?”

I shook my head, shoving him playfully. “Yes really. I think the one you took of the squirrels in the tree was cute and all, but this one I think will get more attention.”

A slight grin formed on his face. “I really like this one too. What do you guys think?” he handed the picture to Riana and Blaine, who’d joined us only moments ago.

“Wow, you’ve got a really good eye.” Riana complimented.

“You make it sound like you didn’t know that already.” Tommy pointed out, eyeing her critically.

She shrugged. “You’re right, I didn’t.”

Tommy picked up a fry and threw it at her, making us laugh.

“Aria’s right,” Blaine added in agreement, “You should go with this one.”

Tommy took the picture and placed it safely in his portfolio. “I guess it’s settled then.”

“Well, since we have that out of the way,” Riana turned her sights on me, which I knew could only mean trouble, “there’s something I’m dying to ask you.”

I played it cool; being all casual, though inside I was dreading the question I knew she had so wanted to ask.

“And what would that be?” I asked, munching on my burger.

Her eyes held a mischievous glint. “What exactly is going on with you and Scott?”

And there, just as I expected it was out. I looked nervously from Riana and Tommy, curious to see how intent he was in hearing the answer. Tommy just shrugged and busied himself by sorting out his already sorted photographs, but I could tell by the way his body tensed he was listening very closely for my reply.

I turned my attention back to Riana. “We’re just…”

Just what? I couldn’t just say we were in a no strings attached agreement. For one she would never believe me, because… well… it’s me we’re talking about. Aria Jenson doesn’t do ‘no strings attached’ or at least the old one didn’t.

And for another, Tommy was sitting right next to me. It was way to awkward to be talking about this in front of him now that I actually knew how he felt about me. Besides, I wasn’t one to rub things in other peoples faces and I especially wasn’t about to flaunt Scott and I in front of him.

“We’re just… err…” I started again, all three pairs of eyes on me now, as I stumbled to find the right words.

“We’re just having fun.”

I jumped in my seat at the familiar voice that came from behind me. I turned to face Scott; a neutral expression covered his face.

“Fun?” this was from Riana, who looked unconvinced. “Aria doesn’t have fun in that sense. No offence.”

“Maybe the old Aria,” Scott stated taking up the vacant seat next to me, “But the new one, she does.” He winked at me.

I felt my cheeks blaze. “He doesn’t mean what you’re thinking.” I sent him a dirty look. “He just means that we’re not putting any labels on what we are.”

Everyone was silent. Well that dampened the mood.

“That’s… cool.” It was said a bit uncertainly, but I was still grateful Blaine had spoken up, breaking the tension in our little group. “Aria’s trying something… different.”

“Yeah, I guess.” I could hear the uncertainty in Riana’s voice. She had a smile on her face but I could see in her eyes she didn’t like what she was hearing.

Well. I’m certainly going to get an ear full later.

The tension at the table was stifling and truthfully all I wanted to do was run right out of there, escape the constricting feel of my best friends’ glares and obvious disapproval. I definitely didn’t have to look at Tommy to know he wasn’t too fond of Scott or his claim that we were having ‘fun’. The annoyance was rolling off of him, making me cringe.

I looked at my half eaten burger and felt none of my earlier interest for the mouth watering meal. I was about to make my excuses and escape when I felt a hand encircle mine, giving it a squeeze of encouragement. My eyes met the dark, fathomless black of Scott’s. On his face I could read everything he communicated to me.

I felt the corners of my mouth tug into a slight smile of thanks as I squeezed his calloused hands back.

Seeing the new found courage in my eyes Scoot turned his attention back to the others.

“Tommy,” he started, “You got anything good for assignment yet?”

For the first time since Scott joined us my eyes connected with Tommy’s. I could clearly see the disgust and annoyance he projected toward Scott. I sent him a pleading look to keep the peace. I didn’t want them fighting, especially not over me.

He seemed to get my message, his expression softened somewhat. “Yeah, I might have something.” His voice was cold. “Aria here helped me make a decision.”

“She did, did she?”

My eyes anxiously flickered between the two guys. The chilly glare Tommy sent Scott was enough to rival the threatening look Scott sent right back. I swear if we were still the unevolved species we’d once been, these would have jumped right on the table and fought until only one was victorious. But thankfully we have evolved and they knew the consequences should they be caught fighting.

“I’m going to get a soda.” I announced suddenly, jumping from my seat.

Scott made a move to stand as well. “Here let me get that for you.”

I shook my head. “No, that’s fine. I’ll be right back.”

Scott nodded and before anyone could say anything I made my escape.

At the drinks table took my time to consider exactly what I wanted, when all I was really doing was stalling. I wasn’t thirsty, not by a long shot, but this seemed like the best excuse at the time to get away.

“I’ve never seen anyone concentrate so hard on getting a drink, especially not you, Aria.” I jumped for a second time that night as a voice came from behind me once again.

I slapped Tommy on the arm. “Don’t do that.” I chastised.

“Ouch!” he feigned, rubbing at the spot, but a grin lit his face.

“Funny,” sarcasm seemed the best way to handle this situation.

“Speaking of funny, what is all this about you and Scott having fun?” he rushed right in.

I sighed, knowing this would come. “It’s none of your business.” I sidestepped him after grabbing a juice and made my way back to our table. It was a hand at my wrist that stopped me and I turned to send an icy glare at my captor.

“Look, Aria. You can be as mad as you want with me, but I care about you. You know I wouldn’t get involved if that were the case.”

Slowly I felt my uncalled for anger fade. I wasn’t really angry at him directly. After all it wasn’t like it was his fault that he liked me more than I could him. I think my anger was more for myself, because no matter what I did, I would end up hurting him.

“I know and I appreciate it, but-”

“No buts, Aria.” He interrupted me. “You’re the type of girl who deserves labels or whatever you want to call it, not this – fun.” He spat the last word in disgust.

“Tommy, I-” still he wouldn’t let me say anything.

“No, don’t deny it. Deep down you know you deserve more than he’s giving you.” He stepped closer to me when a group of girls shuffled by us and lowered his voice further. “I know I’m supposed to be butting out, and I will after this, but I just want you to be careful. I don’t want to see you get hurt, Aria.”

I could see the sincerity of his words in his dark grey eyes. Not that I needed to. Tommy was and still is someone I could trust. I knew he wouldn’t say something he didn’t mean.

After considering what he’d said, I replied. “I know you’re just looking out for my wellbeing and I appreciate that, Tommy, I really do. But I know what I’m doing and trust me you have nothing to worry about.”

He sighed. “I do trust you. It’s Scott I don’t trust.”

“I figured as much.” I smiled up at him, my hand going to his arm as I lightly squeezed it in reassurance. “You’re a good friend, Tommy.”

I saw him cringe and I immediately hated the words that left my lips. “Ouch, that’s the exact words all guys hate hearing from the girl they like.”

I stiffened. It might seem strange, but in the heat of the moment I’d actually forgotten about his feelings toward me. I’d just seen so much of the old Tommy I liked, the one who was one of my closest friends, that I kind of pushed aside the new one I’d only recently learned about.

His eyes locked with mine, his gaze so intense and filled with affection, I found it hard to look away. But through this all it wasn’t hard for me to distinguish that what I felt for him was nothing but friendship.

“Tommy, I’m-” I’m what? Sorry I could return his feelings? Yeah, I’m sure he’d just love hearing that. “I’m-”

“Is everything okay over here?”

My hand automatically dropped from Tommy’s arm and I turned to see Scott eyeing us suspiciously. Well, mostly he was eyeing Tommy suspiciously.

“Yes, everything is fine.” I hurriedly assured with the best smile I could muster.

“Yeah, just peachy.” Tommy threw back.

The two had a standoff. I groaned wishing all this animosity would just go away.

“I’ll see you around, Aria.” Tommy greeted the first to break the tense silence.

“Aren’t you going to finish dinner with us?”

“No, I’m not hungry.” Before I could say anything else, Tommy stalked off.

“What was that all about?” Scott asked all innocence.

I spun on him, suddenly snapping. “Really? You’re seriously going to ask me that?”

“What?”

Annoyed I walked off back to our table where I ignored him for the remainder of the meal.

It was clear Riana and Blaine could pick up hints of the tension between us. They of course said nothing about it, but smiled politely when I excused myself a few minutes later.

I was outside the mess hall when I felt him close by. I didn’t need to look behind me to know it was him. He fell in step with me and slung his arm over my shoulders, which I none too subtly pushed off.

“Okay, so you’re clearly still mad about the whole Tommy thing.” I said nothing when he paused. “I just don’t see what it has to do with me.”

Well, he just pushed the wrong button. In an instant, I whirled on him, sending a look that could probably kill.

“Nothing to do with you?” I wasn’t yelling, the words were whispered, but they held the same icy tone as if I’d yelled at him. “It has everything to do with you, Scott. The way you and Tommy had your whole male standoff at our table and just before he stormed out of the mess hall. It’s clear it has everything to do with you.” By the end of that I was yelling, poking my finger on his rock hard chest.

I was fuming with anger and when I saw the smirk on his face I thought I might actually kill him.

“What’s so funny?”

“You’re really sexy when you’re angry.” He tugged me closer to him.

This only annoyed me further and I pushed him away. “You’re such a jerk.”

I was about to storm off when he stopped me, stepping in my path.

“Okay so you’re mad, I get it.” he let out a frustrated breath of air and pushed the long strands of his hair from his face. “But you can’t blame me for it.”

“Actually, I can.”

“No, you can’t.” he retorted, his anger now matching mine. “What was I supposed to do, huh? Just let the guy flirt with you, let him think he had a chance with you?”

The angry scowl fell from my face as I processed his words. “What?”

“Oh, please. Don’t play innocent with me.” He scoffed. “It’s as clear as daylight that Tommy has a thing for you.”

I fell silent, the anger draining from my body as a new emotion took its place.

A smile threatened as I looked at Scott.

“Now what do you find so amusing?” he grumbled.

I stepped closer to him, eliminating the distance between us. “You’re jealous of Tommy.”

Scott stared at me in surprise now. “And what if I am?”

I wrapped my arms about his waist. “It’s kind of sexy to see you so jealous.” I used his own words against him, which happen to be very true. “You know you don’t have to be.”

“I don’t?” It was said so softly. Clearly all his anger had dissipated too.

I shook my head, not trusting the lump that formed in my throat at the tenderness I saw flash in his eyes. “Why are you jealous, anyway?” I finally asked, clearly my throat.

He looked at me incredulously. “Seriously? Watching you two together is torture. You’re like two peas in a pod.”

I bit my lip to keep myself from laughing. Clearly this was getting to him. But truthfully, I liked seeing this side of him. It meant he cared more than he let on.

Deciding to put him out of his misery, I leaned up on tip toes and pressed my lips to his. At first he didn’t kiss me back, but after a few seconds I was able to coax him out of shock. As always his kisses left me drunk, completely senseless. It seemed crazy to think that a guy I had no attachment to could drive me this insane from one kiss.

When I was finally able to catch my breath I looked up at him. “That’s exactly why you don’t have to be jealous.”

“Hmm… I see. Could you maybe show me again? I don’t think the message was clear enough.”

I was about to protest when his lips captured mine, the kiss more demanding and dizzying than before, completely taking my breath away.

“Yup,” he whispered huskily after breaking the kiss, “I finally got the message loud and clear.”

My eyes, dazed, met his as his fingers tenderly stroked my cheek. “It’s not hard to see how I could lose a girl like you to Tommy.”

My heart fluttered in my chest. He was actually scared of losing me?

“You’re not losing me to anyone.” I hurriedly assured, hating to see the uncertainty in his eyes. “What’s all this seriousness about; I thought we were just having fun?”

“Even I can get a little serious some times.” He smirked suggestively, making me blush. “But I really don’t want to lose the girl I’m having fun with.”

His words held so much emotion I couldn’t say anything. I pulled him closer to me, hugging him. It was all I could offer to assure him I wasn’t going anywhere. After a few seconds of hesitation on his end, I felt his arms go around me in an equally affectionate hug. A smile formed on my face at this simple gesture which held more meaning to both of us than we’d anticipated.

“Am I forgiven then?”

I looked up and met his gaze, never leaving the safety of his embrace. “I can’t stay mad at you, even if I wanted to.”

He chuckled. “Good, cause I have a little surprise for you.”

I perked up. “You do?”

“Yes, but you can only get it if you agree to sneak out tonight.”

I frowned. “Sneak out? I don’t think that’s such a good idea, Scott.”

“Come on, what could happen?”

I looked at him pointedly. “You’re actually asking me that?”

He held his hands up in defence. “Okay, so the last time we snuck out it ended badly.” He reasoned. “but not for us as I recall.”

I blushed still, remembering that night. “What if it does this time?”

“It won’t because I’ll protect you.”

My heart flipped in my chest at his chivalrous act.

“Trust me,” he held out his hand when still I didn’t agree.

Without another thought I placed my hand in his. A look of relief crossed his face. Would it have bothered him if I’d said no?

“Great, meet me at ten outside you building.”

I sighed. “Fine. This better be worth it.”

He brushed his lips to my cheek. “Oh, it definitely will be.”

****

“Scott, are you there?”

My eyes widened as they adjusted to the darkness around me. I scanned the area around me and hoped that what little light the outside lamps offered me would be enough to alert me to his presence.

When only silence greeted me, I glanced down at my watch. It was ten, but there was no Scott. Where is he? I started to feel slightly anxious at the thought that he might have been caught trying to get here on time.

I considered going back to my room when a rustling sound came from behind me. I whirled around and could feel the shriek building in my throat at the approaching figure in the dark. A hand clamped over my mouth before any sound could escape. I was about to start thrashing when I took in the black as night eyes that stared back at me.

“Aria, it’s me.”

I felt my heart slowly regain its natural rhythm at the sound of his familiar voice. I really tried putting strength into the punch I sent Scott, on his arm, but I’m pretty sure it didn’t quite have the effect I’d hoped for. He didn’t even flinch.

“Could you not do that? You almost gave me a heart attack.” I chastised.

He had an amused look on his face which only had me glowering at him even more.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to scare you.”

“Where were you?” I asked in whisper, ignoring his apology.

“I had to dodge an instructor and took the long way around.” He hooked a thumb in the direction he came.

I looked about, nervously. “Are you sure this is a good idea?”

Scott wrapped me in his arms, which admittedly, made me relax, but only a little.

“Do you trust me?”

I glanced up at him. “Yes,”

“Then take my hand.”

Scott stepped back from me and held out his hand. I hesitated for a fraction of a second and placed my shaky hand in his. I was strangely reminded of the night we’d made our escape from the lake. Feeling Scott’s hand securely wrapped around mine in an unbreakable hold, I knew I trusted him fully. I knew that no matter what he wouldn’t let go of my hand.

He led us through the darkened woods, the lower branches slapping against my bare arms as I unsuccessfully tried to push them out of my path. I could barely see what was right in front of my face, but for some reason Scott knew exactly where he was going. Either he had a really keen sense of direction or he knew this unmarked path really well.

Somehow I had the feeling that both were the case.

We walked for about five minutes in silence when Scott suddenly stopped and pulled out a flashlight.

I stiffened. My hand must have squeezed his unconsciously, because he looked back at me with reassurance. “It’s okay. We’re far enough from the school that they won’t be able to see the light.”

I acknowledged his explanation wordlessly and kept moving when we started walking again.

After what felt like another five minutes – it might have been more or less, I couldn’t tell – Scott stopped again. From the glowing yellow light I could see the grin on his face when he looked back at me and I couldn’t help the lurch of excitement my heart gave.

“We’re here.” He announced.

Pushing the branches aside, we entered a small open field. A few feet ahead I could see a blanket laid out on the soft grass, with a picnic basket beside it.

I glanced back at Scott, a surprised smile illuminating my face. “A picnic?”

“Yup, I thought I’d surprise you with something different.”

I thought about this. “We’ve been on a picnic before.” I pointed out.

“True, but we weren’t alone and…” he stepped further into the field turning in a circle, his hands pointed heavenwards. “… it was during the day. This time we have stars.”

I glance upward, admiring the billions of twinkling lights that flickered above us from billions of miles away. It was exquisite, one of nature’s true miracles. I had to hand it to Scott; he sure knew how to play the romantic card.

“I guess you have a point there.” I agreed as I walked over to where he awaited me by out blanket.

Sitting down beside him, Scott flipped open the basket pulling out – to my surprise – candles. Pulling a lighter from his pocket, he lit each one placing them around the blanket, offering us some illumination in the dark field. I looked about me taking in the woodlands that surrounded this small, well hidden field. The dark, ominous overhanging branches would ordinarily freak me out, but in this moment with Scott I couldn’t feel any of that irrational fear.

“I have to hand it to you, Grayson. You really know how romance a girl.”

“I take it you like my little surprise.”

I smiled at him. “I love it.”

I could see the joy that lit his eyes at my enthusiastic reply. The candlelight danced across his face as he smiled warmly at me and in that moment all I wanted to do was kiss him.

Without thinking I leaned forward and touched my lips to his. I let everything I felt for him flow into that caress, everything I’d experienced with him over this past week and beyond.

“What was that for?” He choked out when I finally – reluctantly – broke our kiss.

“I just wanted to say thank you.”

He smiled his sexy grin that just came naturally to him. “I should definitely consider doing this more often if I get a kiss like that every time.”

“Don’t push your lucky.” But even as I said these words I knew I would kiss him even if there was no surprise.

He chuckled turning back to the basket. “Would you like some bubbly, mademoiselle?”

I looked at him startled. “Champagne?”

“It’s not really champagne.” He whispered conspiratorially. “It’s just cider but let’s just pretend for tonight.” He winked.

I let out a hearty laugh. “I’d love some.”

Scott produced two flute glasses – I wondered where he’d gotten them, but didn’t question it – along with a chilled bottle of cider. Expertly he poured the sparkling liquid into the glasses handing me one.

“What should we toast?”

He considered this, than as if a light bulb flickered on in his head, he raised his glass. “To the completely unexpected turn of events of our summer plans.”

“Unexpected?”

“Well yeah. I never thought I’d be wining and dining a beautiful girl under the moon and stars when I arrived at Art Haven.” He explained. “And I’m sure you never expected to meet someone as handsome and awesome as I.”

I scoffed. “Try egotistical and obnoxious.”

Our laughter echoed about in the almost empty field. “Seriously though, I bet you weren’t expecting me.”

“Nope, I definitely wasn’t.” nor was I expecting to have my heart hammering this frantically whenever you walked into a room, I thought feeling my heart’s crazy pace it kept.

“So then,” he raised his glass again and I followed, “to an unexpected summer of fun. May we continue to be surprised by the unexpected.”

“Cheers.”

“So,” I started after taking a sip of my drink, “what else do you have in that magic basket of yours?”

Scott opened the other end of the basket, pulling out another blanket.

I eyed him suspiciously. “Are you trying to seduce me, Scott Grayson?”

“Err – if I said yes, would you assent to that?”

“Nope, sorry.”

He let out a slight laugh. “I figured as much. I brought the extra blanket along in case we got cold.”

“Um…hmm...” I wasn’t fully convinced but knew he wouldn’t take advantage of the situation.

“We missed desert, but I was able to score us some leftovers.”

I sat up straighter, excited to see what other treats he hand in store. “Ooh, desert.”

“First close your eyes.”

I was about to protest when his fingers silenced me. A shock of electricity tingled my lips, making me shudder. Without another word, I slowly fluttered my eyes closed. I was completely aware of Scott. For some reason – one which I couldn’t explain – I knew his eyes were on my face. I always got this funny sensation that ran through my body whenever his eyes were on me. It was a good funny, a feeling that had me blushing and all giddy inside.

I heard Scott shuffling about and was tempted to take a peek, but kept my eyes shut.

“Open your mouth.” He commanded.

I frowned. “Why?” I asked not opening my eyes.

“Would you stop worrying and just do what I say?” I could hear the hint of irritation in his voice.

I didn’t want to spoil the mood so I submitted. I wasn’t one who enjoyed being fed like a little child, but I decided to appease Scott just this once.

I opened my mouth, welcoming whatever taste would come. Scott placed what felt like a teaspoon in my mouth, slipping the content inside. Immediately my eyes flashed open as I took in the burst of chocolaty goodness.

“Oh my word, chocolate cake.” I rejoiced around my mouth full, practically bouncing with happiness. “I can’t believe I missed this.”

“Technically now you didn’t. I figured you’d be upset if you found out and then your anger would be directed at me.”

I frowned. “Why you?”

He hesitated a moment. “Remember? I’m the reason you stormed out of the mess hall.”

And for the first time since meeting Scott tonight I remembered our little fight. Boy for an unattached relationship, we sure acted a lot like a couple.

I narrowed my eyes at him. “True, but I think you more than made up for it. But I don’t think I could finish this off alone.”

Another teaspoon came into view. “We can share.”

“Perfect.”

***

The chocolate cake was divine, the conversation equally as great and Scott was the perfect gentleman. He didn’t try to press his advantage, though we did indulge ourselves I a steamy make out session.

He left me hot and bothered, yet gleefully happy and satisfied all at the same time. He had a way of making me feel alive and comfortable with it. When was going too fast, he slowed down when I asked and passionately answered any demanding calls I made when I thought he was being too measured for my taste.

In the end we’d broken apart both completely breathless and dazed.

We lay beneath the blanket, my head comfortably cushioned by his chest as I listened to the thump, thump of his heart. Was this the effect I had on him every time we were together?

My brows furrowed in confusion. Why would his heart beat this erratically in my presence when we had no attachment to each other? Yes I knew that there was an unmistakeable attraction between us, but wasn’t that all it was to him – a physical attraction?

If I thought Scott’s emotions were confusing, mine was even more so. Every moment I spent with him I found myself even more infatuated with him. It was the little things that had me truly feeling anything deeper than physical attraction for him.

It was these little things that he let me see, letting it past his barrier when he’s in my presence which he thinks I can’t see, that endear me so much more to him. Like when he runs his fingers through his hair, ruffling it, because he was nervous. It was similar to his frustrated actions. Frustration was more him running his hands repeatedly through his glossy locks. Then there was the finger taking on a surface when he was concentrating really hard on something.

When he’d catch me watching him, he’d immediately stop his fidgeting and send me one of his distracting sexy smiles which I’d soon leaned was a protective mechanism he used to deflect others from what really lay beneath his exterior. But I had to admit those smiles still had me blushing profusely, achieving their desired effect.

Just thinking about Scott and all I’d been privileged to learn about him – yes privileged considering he rarely lets anyone in – in these past weeks had my arm tightening about his waist. Knowing all about his past with his family and all the things he loved and detested in life made me understand him and see the guy he really is.

It was in this crazy moment of dream like reality that I realised I cared about Scott far more than our status required. Part of me was thrilled about this new and wondrous feeling just as another past knew I was very much in danger of having my heart broken by this guy.

“What you thinking about?”

I jerked from my thoughts, my heart accelerating as his voice vibrated through his chest. “Err – nothing. Just thinking about how beautiful the stars looked.” I lied.

“They are beautiful, aren’t they?” He observed in a murmur.

We lay there in silence, both admiring what lay billions of miles away from our very planet.

“There’s Orion’s Belt.” I pointed to the three star constellations. “And the Big Dipper.”

“Hmm…” he sounded impressed. “And there’s the moon.” He pointed to the crescent moon, resembling the smile of the Cheshire cat, making me bust into fist of laughter. “What? You can’t say I don’t know anything. Some of us aren’t know-it-all’s like you.” I knew I should be a bit offended by his comment, but I knew he was only teasing me. “Besides, you can’t really blame me for not knowing the constellations.”

I glanced at him. “I can’t?”

“No. We don’t have stars in New York City.”

“Oh please. I know New York is the city that never sleeps, but you guys have night time.” I said with a roll of my eyes.

“Have you been to the city?”

“No,”

“Then you wouldn’t know that with all the lights you can’t really see the stars, unless you get out of the city.” He defended.

“Okay, okay. I see your point.” I conceded. “Would you like to know more about our vast universe?” I stretched out my arms toward the clear night sky.

“I’d love that.”

I pointed out all I could remember from my childhood. I’d been obsessed as a ten year old girl with the stars and took out every book in the library I could find on astrology. Of course, that was ages ago, but I could still remember what I’d learnt. In fact, I was amazed to find I actually still knew so much.

“Wow,” I could hear the stunned admiration in Scott’s voice, “that was interesting.”

“Yeah, I forgot how much I enjoy this, stargazing.” I murmured drifting off to a time that seemed so far away when I’d camp in my backyard over weekends.

Scott’s soft chuckle brought me back to the present. “What’s so funny?”

“Nothing. It’s just…”

“Just what?”

His eyes met mine with a smile. “Every time I think you can’t surprise me with something new… you go right ahead and do just that.” I grinned; feeling slight pleased with myself. “It’s something I really love about you.”

I froze, taken completely off guard by this statement.

I was shocked that Scott had used the word love. Okay, yes, people are entitled to love something in another individual without it meaning they, you know, love you – specifically. But this still didn’t curb the fact that I was completely taken aback.

I suddenly had an overwhelming sense to say something to detract from that four letter word that held so much meaning.

“Wow, I’m actually able to surprise Scott Grayson?” It was the first thing that popped into my mind.

“You should take it as a compliment. I’m not easily surprised.”

“Now that I can believe.”

We fell into silence again, my mind still reeling about what he’d said. I know I shouldn’t overanalyse this. I was definitely making a mountain out of a mole hill… right?

Deciding I couldn’t stay quiet any longer, I shifted, placing my hands on his chest, my palms down, with my chin resting upon them and I looked intently at him.

“So, how are things going with your sculpture?” I was too closely focused on the thumping of his heart beneath my palms.

“It’s going really good.” His wholehearted reply was unexpected.

“It is?”

He smiled. “Yeah, it’s actually completed.”

“Wow, congratulations, I guess.”

“Not yet, actually. I still have to present it to my instructor.”

He grimaced. Clearly he was still a bit uncertain about revealing something so personal.

“When are you presenting?”

“The day after next.” He replied with a groan. “Which reminds me, where are my jeans?”

“What jeans?” I turned my head from his.

He caught my face between his hands, scorching it wherever he touched. “You know what jeans I’m talking about. Don’t play innocent with me, Aria.”

I sighed knowing he was far too clever to be suckered by me. “Fine, I still have them. I was hoping you’d forget about them.”

His low laugh sounded like sweet music. “Not a chance. Those are my lucky pants.”

“Lucky? What makes them so lucky?”

My eyes were locked with his. I could see he wasn’t too happy that I’d asked him, but indulged me all the same. “I had some good things happen to me while wearing them that’s all.”

“Like?” I prompted.

“Hmm… I’d worn them the day I’d won my first competition and then there was the time I’d won sweet tickets to a concert.” He seemed to be drifting off now, locked in his thoughts. “For some reason girls are drawn to me when I wear them. It’s like it’s a chick magnet or something.”

My brows arched. “Chick magnet, hey?”

He realised his mistake. “I didn’t mean it like that.”

“Uhm, it’s okay.” No, actually it wasn’t. “You’ve obviously had other girls before I came along. What else happened?” I tried to steer the conversation away from his previous hook ups.

“I wore these pants on the day my dad agreed to let me come to here for the summer.”

“What? That could have been a coincidence.” I reasoned.

“It wasn’t a coincidence when I met you.”

Okay, Aria, remember to breath. “What?” it came out as a whispered breath.

His hand rested on my cheek. “I was wearing those jeans on the day I met you. Coincidence, I think not”

He swept my hair from my face, tucking it behind my ear. Leaning forward, he lightly brushed his lips to mine. Could it be? Could Scott have feeling deeper than he let on? I was suddenly glad for the darkness that hid my blushing face.

“I guess they’re lucky after all.” I said a bit dazed.

“That’s why I need them for my presentation.”

I sighed, defeated. “I’ll have them pressed and ready tomorrow.”

“Thanks. Don’t pout, Aria, they were never yours.” He teased with a glint of humour in his eyes.

“I know. I would have given them back… eventually.” I wasn’t sure if that was a lie or not. “You have to admit, I looked good in them.”

I saw the smirk in his face, his eyes misting over. “Oh, you certainly did.” His voice was husky as I saw desire flick through them.

“I’ll… err… bring them by your room tomorrow, before breakfast.”

“No, bring them by the store room tomorrow night. I want your opinion first.”

“My opinion?”

“Why do you seem so shocked by that?”

I placed a finger to my lip. “Hmm, I don’t know, maybe because you called me mediocre.”

He frowned. “I apologised for that.” He huffed. “And as I recall, I said you could became that, not that you are.”

I laughed suddenly, unable to keep it in any longer. “I’m sorry. I couldn’t resist. I’m only teasing you.”

He fixed me a narrowed stare. “You’re a regular comedian.”

“I’ll be by the your ‘studio’ tomorrow night.”

He pulled me to him again, our lips meeting in sweet wonder. Maybe there was hope for us after all.

***

The next day, Jackie had a little surprise for us all. Our partnered assignment that were due in the next couple of days, were given an extension date. There were many hoots of approval, but when Jackie gave us the reason for this sudden extension most of those hoots turned to grimaces.

It turns out Jackie felt it would be great to have our big reveals on Parents’ Day, which was in another week. It was the day all parents got to come visit there kids and observed exactly what their teenagers have been doing thus far with their summer.

I thought it was a great idea actually. I had no problems with showing my parents exactly what I’d been doing. In fact they always encouraged me with my art.

I turned to look at Scott with a grin lighting my face. He smiled back, but I could instantly see the forced smile that greeted me. That’s when it dawned on me. Scott and his dad aren’t close and I wondered if Mr Grayson would even show. How sad to think that he had such a great son and he wouldn’t even acknowledge him. I’m sure he loved Scott. I just hope that he showed up next week.

It pained me to see that hard look in Scott’s eyes. I wanted so much to walk over to him and do what I could to chase that look from his eyes. I gulped as the pain struck hard when I thought about Scott being all alone next week.

I blinked, struck again by how intense my feelings toward him were.

I met his eyes again. The hardness disappeared and I found the Scott I cared deeply for, far deeper than I should.

Class flew by. Riana and I walked out the room, but when I turned to see if Scott was following us, I noticed him heading for Jackie. I figured he had something important he wanted to discuss with her in private, so Riana and I waited for him outside.

She was excitedly chatting about her interpretation of Pete, which I found quite amusing, when I felt the hairs on my neck stand on end. I didn’t need to see him to know that Scott was walking toward us. His hand enveloped mine as he leaning in to feather a kiss to my scarlet cheeks.

“Hey,” he whispered in my ears, making me shiver.

“Hey,”

“So that was unexpected.” Riana said as we made our way across campus. Scott and I sent each other amused looks. Unexpected indeed. “But I like this idea of revealing our assignments on Parents’ Day.”

“I like it too.” I agreed. “It’s going to be interesting if something get revealed that a parent doesn’t know.”

Riana was practically jumping with excitement. “Never a dull moment at Art Haven. How about you, Scott?”

“Hmm… sorry?”

“Are you excited about Parents’ Day?”

I saw a flicker of sadness pass his face, but he carefully masked it again. “Yeah sure. Who wouldn’t be?” his answer was vague, but seemed to satisfy Riana and she continued her usual cheerful chatter.

My heart ached for Scott. There was nothing I could do to take this away from him. His eyes met mine and he looked at me for a long moment. In his eyes I could see the pain he was so clearly trying to hide from me. I squeezed his hand, smiling up at him, letting him know I understood.

Without thought he brought our connected hands to his lips and kissed mine.

“I’ve got to run.” He said once Riana stopped talking. “I’ve got another class.”

I nodded. “Okay, we’re still on for later?”

He offered me a wane smile. “Yes, we are. I’ll see you then.”

He was about to let go of my hand when I held him back, his eyes came back to mine. “Scott, you’re okay, right?”

Suddenly his face was lit with his usual sexy grin. “Of course I am.” He leaned in then, lightly brushing his lips to mine. “I’ll see you later.”

“Bye,” with one last glance in my direction he disappeared around the corner of a building.

I stood looking at the spot long after he’d left, feeling somehow that all my progress I’d made with him had just vanished.

“You okay, Aria?”

I turned to Riana and shrugged.

We walked quietly back to our room, my thoughts locked on Scott.

“You like him, don’t you?”

I looked at her uneasy. “Yeah, of course I do.” I played it cool.

She rolled her eyes. “No I mean; you like him as in you have deep feelings for that boy.”

There was no way I could hide this from her, she just knew me too well.

I sighed, running my hand through my hair and then smiled when I realised I was slowly adapting Scott’s habits. “Yeah,”

It might have been just one word, but Riana could read everything I felt in them. “Then go after him.”

“I can’t. You heard him, we’re only having fun.”

She nodded. “And since when does Aria Jenson let anyone boss her around.”

I grumbled. “Never,”

“Exactly,” she took my hand and turned me to face her. “It’s time to make your own rules.”

She was right. I was a strong young lady, who’d taken charge of her life a long time ago. Then why did I feel so scared at the prospect of taking control again?

“What if he doesn’t feel the same way?”

She shrugged. “Then it wasn’t meant to be. But I’d bet anything, he likes you just as much.”

My gaze snapped to hers. “You really think so?”

“The way he just looked at you now said it all.”

The wheels began to turn in my head and not in the over analytical way. Yes, maybe there was definitely hope for us.

***

I carefully picked out my best sundress I had. It was light blue, with small buttons down the front of the bodice. I adjusted the straps so they wouldn’t slip from my slender shoulders. My hair was styles – thanks to the help of Riana – in soft, free flowing curls.

I looked down at the hemline again. “You sure it’s not too short, right? I don’t want to send the wrong message.”

Riana sighed at me. “Yes, it’s perfect. Now go before you chicken out.”

She steered me toward the door and I was able to grab the jeans off my bed in time.

I turned to face her as I stood in the open door. “I’m not chicken.”

“Good, now prove it.”

She closed the door in my face. She wasn’t being rude exactly. Just trying to give me that shove I needed in her Riana way of doing things.

I walked across campus; the sun had just set over the horizon. I hugged the black fabric to my person as I shivered in anticipation. I had it all planned out in my head, exactly what I wanted to say to him and how I would approach the subject. I knew there was a chance that he wouldn’t go for it, making this – us official, but as Riana so nicely pointed out, I am the controlling type and I wouldn’t take no for answer.

I breathed deeply as I reached the store room, pacing back and forth at least three times before I bucked up the courage to head to the door. My hands shook as I reached for the handle. Without another thought I opened the door to the room that would decide my fate with Scott.

I walked only a few steps in when I heard muffled voices. Voices? I frowned, than tensed. Maybe Jackie or Randal was here again, checking up on him. Knowing that getting us both into trouble wasn’t the best idea, I decided to skirt the room, walking down one of the many rows of shelves that would hide my presence until they left.

I carefully made my way to the end of the row, grateful for the many supplies that hid my figure from view. Even with the threat of being caught, I still couldn’t help the anticipation I felt at seeing Scott and telling him exactly how I felt.

Inching closer, the jeans still hugged to my bodice, the overhanging light came into view, shedding some light on whoever was with Scott.

Peaking from my hiding place, I froze, shocked by the image that greeted me. I blinked twice and somewhere in the far reaches of my mind I heard myself say, well this is definitely unexpected.

***

Okay firstly, I have to send a huge thanks to @VanillaSky for my new cover and for the banner she made me :D

Then a cliff-hanger I know you probably hate me now hehe! I hope this was worth the wait. I made it longer just to make up for this late upload. Took me forever I know. Hopefully I won’t take this long to upload again and that you’ll forgive me for keeping me in suspense.

Thanks for reading guys :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

33.8K 806 35
"Lucky, I'm in love with my best friend." Usually, fire and water don't get along too well. But these two are proof that things may not always be as...
369K 6.1K 30
COMPLETED Emma was different compared to other 17 year olds. She was only friends with guys..... the Magcon Guys to be exact. Just like anyone else...
15.1K 245 31
This story is about a girl named Sophia that is on a social site called Vine. And so is a incredibly handsome boy named Hayes. They start talking to...
7.3K 96 37
It's just 6 weeks what could possibly happen