Against All Odds [COMPLETED]

By HeyShayHey

The story of two girls, from different walks of life, entering college as freshmen. Summer Williams, who spen... More

Characters
Chapter 1 "Summer"
Chapter 2 "Skylar"
Chapter 3 "Move in"
Chapter 4 "The Meet"
Chapter 5 "Mama Chelle"
Chapter 6 "The Carter's"
Chapter 7 "Team Work"
Chapter 8 "Party"
Chapter 9 "Danger"
Chapter 10 "Wait, WHAT?"
Chapter 11 Part 1 "Dance"
Chapter 11 Part 2 "Girl Fight"
Chapter 12 "Instagram, Really?"
Chapter 13 "Turn on The Lights"
Chapter 14 "Christmas Eve"
Chapter 15 "Merry Christmas/NYE"

Chapter 16 "New Beginnings"

558 30 12
By HeyShayHey

1 year later

End of 1st semester
Sophomore year

Summer

So your girl decided to join the dance team, and not only did I make it, but the team appointed me co-captain. A lot of my choreography has gone viral several times since making a YouTube channel, and I've made it my side hustle.

Because Auntie Bey & my Mom really pushed me to go towards my passion, I've been booking gigs and teaching others my choreography all around the world. Only during summer & breaks since I'm still in school. School is my number one focus & though my friends keep telling me to quit school & dance full time, I see the bigger picture & getting my degree will take me further.

On my way to dance practice, I got a call from my Chad, my Mom's boyfriend to come home this weekend because he's throwing a dinner for her. There's no telling what he has up his sleeves but it looks like my weekend plans will be visiting family.

I entered the dance studio and began stretching with the rest of my teammates.

~~~~~

Skye

"Are you sure you want to go public about what happened to you?" My Mom asked me. I was on the phone talking to her about my decision. It's been weighing heavily in my heart to go public about being raped on campus.

"Mom this is something that happens all the time across the country and I want to raise awareness on it. I know how people are & if they can put a familiar face with the issue, maybe it'll help people speak out & get help about their assault." I said.

"I'm just worried that you'll be tore apart in the media, and it doesn't help the negative comments you get on social media just for being a celebrity kid. Your mental health is everything to me." She said. I sighed into the phone.

"Mom I'm sure if my favorite actress Gabrielle Union could be bold enough to speak out about her sexual assault, then I could use my platform to do the same. It's been a year since it's happened & with all the counseling I've had, I know I can do this." I replied.

"Alright Skylar. You know your Father and I are behind you in whatever decision you make. You'll probably have to talk to him in person about it & probably use Tidal as your safe haven." She said. Tidal may not be a bad idea. Thank God for my Mom because she's always 5 steps ahead of me in any idea I come up with.

"Thank you mom. I had an idea of how I want to say it publicly, but Tidal may be a better way." I said.

"Okay well announce it whichever way feels most comfortable for you."

"Okay Mom. I got class in a few so I'll talk to you later!" We said our goodbyes and I headed to class.

~~~~
Summer

After dance practice, me and my friend Ashley grabbed a bite to eat at the cafeteria. A lot has changed around campus, and one thing is that my Mom stopped working there.

She realized she didn't want to be stuck as the cafeteria lady all her life, so she quit and went to cosmetology school. She loves the concept of being a stylist & transforming women's appearance & bringing their confidence out through hair, so she made it happen.

It didn't take long for her to get her cosmetology license, and now she has a booth at my Aunt Kelly's salon. Mommy even got her a lil boo thang during that time!

"So you going home this weekend?" Ashley asked me.

"Yep my Mom's boyfriend wanted me to come home for some reason. What you getting into?" I asked.

"I'm just going to this Frat party off campus and that's about it." She said.

"Okay well make sure you go with someone and never leave their side. Frat parties are dangerous and you don't need to be by yourself." I said.

"Okay mom. I got it." Ashley joked. I mean mugged her.

"I'm serious Ash. I know you're grown and whatnot but you're my friend and I don't need something bad to happen to you." I said.

We finished our food and parted ways. I made my way to the off-campus apartment me and Skye share, and dropped my bags on the floor. I crashed on my bed and closed my eyes for a moment. I heard knocking on the door and told Skye to come in.

"Yes Skylar." I said with my eyes still closed.

"Someone must be tired." She said.

"Well duh captain obvious." I replied.

"Okay attitude much? Alright lemme stop. I won't be long but did Chad tell you why he wants us to come home this weekend?" She asked.

"Nope he said it's just dinner, but it must be something important if he wants both of us home." I said.

*Few Days Later*

Michelle

Tonight I'll be surrounded by all of my friends and family and I have no clue as to why. My boyfriend said it's to celebrate my success at the salon, but I know he's up to something.

I chose my favorite black dress to wear and made sure my makeup was on point. Thank God for Youtube because I'm practically a make up artist after watching so many videos. After that, I placed my shoes on and called Kelly to see if she's dressed.

"Ma! Chad said to hurry up. We've been waiting in the car." Summer came to tell me. I nodded my head & continued talking to Kelly.

"Who's on the phone?" She asked.

"Kelly." I said.

"Ooh lemme speak." I gave Summer the phone & got my purse together.

"Hey Auntie! As you know, we're about to be in the same building so can you talk to my Mom when you see her?" My eyes popped open. I snatched the phone from KK.

"Girl you better leave before I beat you." I said to her. "Kelly I'll see you later." I said. She laughed and hung up.

Summer laughed by the doorway and tried to hurry up out the door. I plucked her ear as I walked past her.

"Ouch Ma! Mean!" She said.

"That's what you get, rudeness."

~~~~

Summer

The dinner is going really well and the happiness on my mommy's face is everything. She's never had a relationship last this long before and then Chad came along. Hell, I never met any of her potential "baes" until Chad.

"Attention everyone. I have something to say." Chad. We were eating dessert at this time. Everyone turned to look at Chad. He stood up and placed one hand into my mom's.

"So me and Michelle have been together for about 7 months now, and from the first day we met, I knew she was the one. Michelle is an amazing person to all of us, but she's helped me become a better man & for that, I want her to be my wife. So-"

Chad took a box out of his pocket and got down on one knee. All the women, including myself, started screaming.

"Oh My God, Oh My God!" My Mom repeated.

"Michelle, you are the love of my life. Will you marry me?" He asked. My Mom shook her head yes and he placed the ring on her finger.

"Cause if you like it then you shoulda put a ring on it...whoa uh oh!" Me and Skye did the Single Ladies dance, much to Aunt Bey's dismay, and jumped up and down.

After the big moment happened, we continued dinner while we all took pictures nonstop. My Mom went around to show off her pretty ring & get congratulatory hugs from everybody.

"And I saved the best for last." My Mom said, hugging me.

"How do you feel?" I asked.

"Like I'm on cloud 9. Are you happy about us getting married?" She asked.

"Yes Ma. Chad is a great guy & he's been nothing but supportive of everything you do & me as well." I told her. She just smiled and hugged me tight.

"Uh Ma, I know this is a sentimental moment for you, but your only daughter can't breathe." I said. She lightly pushed me off her and we gushed over the ring some more.

If you'd tell me my life would have led to me going to college, having the bestest roommate ever who just-so-happen to be Beyoncé and Jay-Z's daughter, to living with them & my Mom furthering her education; I would have laughed in your face.

I know my Dad is smiling from Heaven at us. Our life completely changed in two years. I can't wait to go to sleep tonight because me and my Dad have a lot of talking to do.

The End.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

80K 2.9K 26
{JAYONCÉ FAN-FICTION} A student's attraction for his professor, Beyoncé Knowles turns into a deep love that unexpectedly ties them together forever. ...
28.3K 1.8K 27
Two mentally ill teens in a relationship. ~yana made this... (Don't take ANYTHING in this book serious or to the heart, laugh.)
29.3K 1.2K 46
By xrecexbellax As best friends, BeyoncΓ© Consuelos and Shawn Carter can't seem to stay away from each, despite being married. The series of events t...
187K 6.5K 65
In the midst of their traumatic personal issues and life problems, Shawn Carter and BeyoncΓ© Knowles cross paths. Two stubborn teenagers in desperate...