The Arrangement

By PunkRockPenguin

What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas, right? What happens when you wake up in Vegas married? Well, you try... More

The Arrangement
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Author Note
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Epilogue

Chapter 18

162K 4.6K 552
By PunkRockPenguin

Here you are my darlings. Late, but I hope you do enjoy! <3

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Chapter 18

There was a little red sports car waiting. "What is that?"

"My newest investment." Trent purred. "You don't like it?"

"Wait, you just bought a car?"

"I was tired of not having a fast car."

"So you just bought one?"

"Yes."

"How? But - "

"Shh," Trent soothed as he opened the door. "Just get in, we'll talk on the way."

"Trent,"

"No, in we go." Trent guided me into the car. Trent closed the door and got on the driver's side.

"How can you just buy a car like this? How much does something like this even cost?"

"Relax. I make more than enough to afford a little toy like this."

"How much?"

"Not much,"

"How much?"

"Less than $150,000."

"Holy crap!"

"What?"

"That's more than I have left on my car and my graduate loans!"

"You have debt? I'll fix that."

"Trent, don't you - augh, that's not yours to worry about."

"You're my wife, and if I want to worry about your debt, that is something I actually get to worry about. As we're now married, we've inherited each other's debt."

"Trent, how can you drop that much money at once?"

"Mikaela, my last name is Ralston. Have you ever noticed how many of them there are world wide? My father is the CEO, a title that will soon be handed off to me. My salary alone is five of those cars. And that doesn't include my other investments."

My breath caught in my throat and I started choking. "What?"

"Relax," Trent took my hand and started thumbing circles on the back of my hand. "When I told you money was no object, I meant it. Money is a lot like air."

"What do you mean?"

"To a drowning man, his next thought is air. But, when you have enough of it, it's not a concern. When was the last time you thought about your next breath?"

"When my air line was damaged back in the Gulf."

"Exactly. When you have enough of anything, it's not a concern. Now please, for this year at least, let me spoil you like the princess I see you as. No more objections."

"But,"

"Nope, now we're weaving in and out of traffic. If you don't want me to kiss you senseless while I'm dodging the car in front of us, stop arguing."

"No, you pay attention while driving. Where are we going anyway?"

"You'll see."

"Why do you insist upon these stupid surprises when you know I hate them?"

"Because I enjoy it."

"I hate this."

"You'll enjoy it. At least I hope you will."

"I hate it when I don't feel in control."

"I know."

"Then why do you constantly do that to me?"

"It's good for you."

"What makes you say that?"

"Has anyone really taken care of you before?"

"What?"

"Has anyone ever really taken care of you?"

"This is not the conversation I want to have."

"What would you like to talk about then?"

"What is this thing you mentioned about your family?"

"Right, well, about that. My family is not used to being denied."

"Shocking,"

"Yes, well, and they are most disappointed that there wasn't a formal ceremony. They're even angrier that I didn't make you sign a prenup."

"This is a fake marriage anyway. What difference does that make?"

"In their eyes, this is a real marriage."

"Trent,"

"Yes?"

"Serious question."

"Okay. What is it?"

"Out of everyone who was there, why on earth did you pick me?"

Trent gave me a sideways smirk. "Why wouldn't I pick you?"

"I'm not exactly what you would call gorgeous. I'm not one of those models or Hollywood starlets you're used to dating."

"Maybe I don't want them? Did that thought ever occur to you?" Trent offered with a raised eyebrow.

"Watch the road!" I shrieked. He should not be staring at me like that! "And no, it never occurred to me because that doesn't make sense."

"Mikaela, those twits rarely have a fully formed thought in their heads. Arm candy? Sure, but usually they cared more about my money or my reputation and how it would buoy theirs if their name happens to be attached to mine. You're different. I like it."

I felt cold all of a sudden. I was no different than those flashy, beautiful women. I was worse even, I wasn't that arm candy he'd referred to them as. I had taken his money just as easily as they had, and I'd even recently begun to devise ways that his money benefitted me. I could wrap it up in noble packaging and say it was for the good of the world, a cure for cancer and all that jazz, but at the end of the day, I was no better than those money-grubbing gold diggers. I was ashamed and disgusted with myself. I shook my head at him. "You're wrong." I muttered.

"Wrong? What do you mean?"

"I'm really no different from those hussies. The only way we're different is I'll bet they were spectacular in bed for you and they were the arm candy you wanted."

Trent pulled the car to a halt on the side of the highway. "That's enough."

"What?"

"That's enough. I'm not going to keep listening to you put yourself down. It pisses me off every time you do."

"Trent, you don't have to lie to me. I know what I look like." I huffed. I crossed my arms and stared out the window willing the tears to stop pooling in my eyes. This was so not fair! I even had make-up on which would just make it so much worse.

"Obviously you don't." Trent shot right back. He unbuckled his seatbelt and cupped my chin. "Otherwise you'd know how badly I've wanted to do this," he whispered as his lips claimed mine. I was in too much shock to do anything but stare at him. A moment later I let myself enjoy the sensation of his lips on him. One of his arms snaked around my waist and pulled me closer as the kiss became more demanding. My hands went to his chest and I pushed gently. "Now shut up about being ugly because that can't be farther from the truth. Got it?" Trent panted. "Do you believe me yet?"

I rolled my eyes and shook my head. "Whatever Trent."

"Don't whatever me," Trent grabbed my hand and put it on his crotch.

I shrieked in surprise. "What are you - "

"Making my point." Trent cut me off. "How familiar are you with the male anatomy?" Trent smirked. "Because we don't want to use our favorite appendage with just anyone." Trent wagged his eyebrows at me. "We have to be aroused." He winked. "Now shut up and just take a damn compliment. I think you're fucking beautiful, so deal with it." With that Trent pulled back on the highway at breakneck speed. After that little incident I was too scared to say anything, so I just let him drive. I froze when I realized that we had driven to an airfield. Surely we weren't flying. I felt the blood drain from my face and I fought to take slow even breaths. "Mikaela?"

"Hmm?"

"What's wrong?"

"No-nothing." I shook my head.

"Liar. What's wrong?" Trent looked around then smacked his forehead. "Damn, I forgot! You're scared to fly."

"Am not!" I shot back on reflex.

"Are too. Now listen, I've got a great day planned, and if we fly it'll only take about forty-five minutes to get there. We can drive, but it'll take about three hours with the way I drive. I won't force you to get on the jet, but it'll be faster if you do."

"I already told you I'm not scared." I ground out, glaring daggers at him. What was it about this man that made me so impossibly stubborn?

"Great, then we can fly." Trent smirked as he put the car in park. "Wait here, I'll make sure everything is good to go and I'll come get you, okay?"

"Whatever."

Trent raised an eyebrow. "I've already warned you about whatevering me. And I won't warn you again."

"Go get your stupid plane ready." I growled.

Trent jogged off to the hanger and I sulked in the car. It was only a few minutes before he came jogging back as a private jet was towed out. Trent opened my door and grabbed a bag from the back seat. He took my hand and helped me get all situated in my seat. I felt my face heat up as Trent leaned over.

"Wh-what are you - "

Trent fastened my seat belt around my waist, taking his sweet time brushing his hand along my hips. "Safety first, wife of mine," Trent teased.

That bastard. "I can put my own seat belt on, thank you very much."

"Yes, but to do that, you'd have to let go of your arm rest, which judging by the white knuckles you have, you don't want to just yet." Trent winked.

"Let's just get this over with." I growled at him, now thoroughly annoyed.

"Once we take off we'll eat breakfast."

"You mean when we get there?"

"No, I have a kitchen on my plane. As well as a bed if you'd like." Trent offered his teasing smirk plastered on his face.

I rolled my eyes then closed them. Damn it, I hated flying. As the plane made its way to the tarmac, Trent took my hand.

"Hey," he soothed. "Relax," he whispered as he kissed the back of my hand. "You're fine."

"I know I'm fine." I snapped.

"Hmm," Trent's eyes were searching mine for something. The next thing I knew his lips were on mine. I was too shocked to do anything but my eyes went wide as his lips coaxed a reaction from me. The next thing I knew we were taking off and in the air. Trent had a self-satisfied smirk on his face. "There,"

"What the hell?" I panted, still out of breath.

"You relaxed. Come, let me make you breakfast." Trent unbuckled his seat belt and looked at me. "Or I can unbuckle you too, if you like,"

"I'm fine." I snapped as I undid the clasp and got out of the seat. "Where are we going anyway?"

"You'll see, it's a surprise. Have a seat, I'll make you breakfast."

I sat with my back to the window. The last thing I needed was to see the clouds at eye level. Trent made omelets and bacon with toast and handed me a glass of orange juice in a champagne flute. "Normally, I'd offer you a mimosa, but I know you don't drink. So, let's skip the champagne and just toast." Trent chinked his glass to mine and watched me expectantly.

"What?"

"Try it. Let me know how it is."

I took a bite and smiled. It was heavenly. "It's good." I nodded. "Now, enough of this pretense. What do we need to talk about? What's this about your family?"

Trent sighed. "Somehow I knew you wouldn't be distracted for long. Now, my family is going to meet you. It will be easier if we meet them. I know what you said about a week, so, how about a weekend. You and me, we go and see them?"

"What aren't you telling me?"

"I could ask you the same question."

"Why do I need to be a part of this? I still don't understand. What on earth could you possibly gain from me?"

Trent took my hand. "You're different. They won't know what to make of you."

"Is that a good thing?"

"Yes, and no."

"Explain." I sighed as I took another grudging bite.

"Well, I've never really taken anyone home to see them before."

"Tell me about them. I don't follow the tabloids so I don't know what to expect."

"Dad is a stubborn ass."

"Must run in the family,"

Trent chuckled at that. "Yeah, where do you think I learned it from? I have a younger brother and younger sister. Nicky and his wife are pretty decent, but my little sister, Madeline, watch out for her."

"Why?"

"She's catty. She learned from her mother. Mom won't like you."

"Why?"

"I didn't make you sign a prenup. Besides, she doesn't like anyone. Don't let her get to you. Don't leave my side. I'll keep you safe."

"Why does that sound so ominous?"

"Because it kind of is."

"What have you dragged me into?"

Trent gave me a sad smile. "This isn't fair to you at all."

"Nope. But I'm pretty sure we're in too deep to just quit now."

Trent nodded. "Yes, I might have already spoken to my family a little."

"What?"

"Yeah."

"What did you say?"

"The day after we were married, Dad had some choice words for me."

"Such as?"

"I believe his exact words were 'what the fuck were you thinking?'"

"Charming."

"Yeah, that's one word for him."

"I'm going to hate this."

"Yes."

"What is expected of me? I mean, I can't be like that arm candy we talked about before. I don't even know how to dress myself." I laughed.

"You'll do fine."

"Trent,"

"Yeah?"

"I still want to know why me. Why didn't you want someone who knew what the hell they were doing?"

Trent ran a hand through his hair. "It's a little late for that. I think we've both agreed."

I nodded and strangely felt my heart sink. "Yeah, well, forget it, just tell me what I need to do. I'll figure something out."

Trent reached across the table and brushed a few stray hairs out of my face. "Hey, don't be too upset with me. That isn't going to be fun, but today will be."

"I'm done eating." I put my fork down and went back to the plush leather seat I'd taken off in. I heard Trent curse and ignored him as best I could as he picked up the plates. Why had that comment bothered me so much.

It's a little late for that. I think we both agree.

Why did that echo around in my head? I knew what this was. Stupid to think it was anything else. Get a grip Mikaela! People like Trent do go for people like you unless they were drunk and in the first place. You know who you are. Stop acting like you're surprised. Trent is yours for a year, and a year only. Once this year is up, he'll be gone and if you're not careful, you'll be the one worse for wear. I sighed and decided to enjoy today. Maybe at the end I could be friends with Trent, but if I really wanted to hurt myself I'd let myself want more than that. I know where that road leads. That isn't the life that was meant for me. It never was and it never will be.

Trent sat beside me, jerking me from my thoughts. "What did I say?"

"Hmm?"

"I said something stupid. I just don't know what." Trent gave me a pointed look.

"It's whatever." I shook my head and smiled. "Forget it."

"I do believe I've warned you enough about whatevering me." Trent teased as he leaned over and kissed me. I let myself do something very stupid and enjoyed the feel of his lips on mine.

Oh yes, Mikaela, this is dangerous territory.

"We're about to land." Trent whispered as I was faintly aware that his hands were buckling me back in and I shivered at the touch. "You'll enjoy this." Trent promised. He took my hand as we started the decent. I was more than grateful to be back on the ground. Trent helped me down the stairs and there was a luxurious sports car waiting on the tarmac. Trent had a duffle bag in one hand and my hand in the other.

"Where are we?"

"Savannah." Trent smiled. I couldn't keep the grin off my face. I loved Savannah. I'd been here plenty of times and it was truly stunning. I loved the gardens, and the history, and the beaches of course. "You like it?"

I found myself nodding like a fool. "How did you know?"

"That you'd like this?" I nodded. "I've been paying attention. I'm trying to figure out what makes you tick. Though, I must say, you're a hard nut to crack." Trent pulled me closer to him as he wrapped his arm around my waist. I tensed up, especially when he kissed my cheek. "But I'm glad you like it," he purred in my ear as he opened the door for me, with the hand that had the bag.

"What's in the bag?"

"That is a surprise."

"And I hate surprises."

"And I don't." Trent shot right back. He closed the door behind me and got in the other side.

"So, tell me something. What are we doing?"

"I have lots of things planned for us." Trent smiled at me. Once again it was the boyish, unpracticed grin. I smiled right back mentally cursing myself. I was an idiot and if this was my reaction to every nice thing someone did for me, I was definitely a glutton for punishment. "Hey, where'd you go?" Trent asked.

"What do you mean?"

"You zoned out. Looked like you were a million miles away. You okay?"

I nodded and felt my smile wilt. He really was paying attention, and he was getting good at reading me.

"Hey," Trent's hand left the gear shifter and went to my chin. "You were excited thirty seconds ago. Somehow between the time we got in the car and now you're not excited anymore. In fact you look like someone just kicked your favorite puppy."

I shook my head. "Let's just forget about it. We're supposed to have fun today, right?"

"You sure you're up for it?"

I nodded. "Yeah."

"Good, then let's go." Trent stole a quick kiss as the engine roared to life. I sighed having no idea what was in store for me today. Damn, I hate surprises.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I hope you enjoyed. Much love! Muah! <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

37 0 6
"After years being in torched and abused by her father and brothers Rose finds herself tangeled in a forced marriage with a mafia king who is known f...
167K 7.6K 45
Zane Williams finds himself in an arranged marriage chosen by his overbearing mother. But when he ducks out of his own wedding due to an unexpected c...
2.4K 149 18
Arina a 24 year old has always wanted to live a freely but being in a abusive mafia family has not made this happen . One day Arina's father announce...