the sun and the moon || h.s

By EmilyBlakeBooks

Almost midway through the 16th century, France and England are crosshairs away from warfare. Malevolence is t... More

a.
b.
c.
d.
f.
g.
h.
i.
j.
k.
l.
m.
n.
o.
p.

e.

333 28 2
By EmilyBlakeBooks

They walked down the corridors, side by side, but they kept a safe distance between one another. Harry knew that if someone caught on, even had an inkling of a suspicion, he and Marie would be be in danger. Just in front of the Great Hall, a crowd stood; guards, Prince Leopold and King Frederick. Harry snarled as he caught sight of the man he so despised. Prince Filipe's towering physique stood tall above Leopold and the King, and his diplomats surrounded him. The clicking of Marie's shoes against the stone floor caught the group's attention, and Filipe shamelessly observed this godly woman.

"Ah, Filipe, you remember my son Harold." Filipe gives Harry a snide smirk and already, Harry is on edge.

"Of course, your majesty. How could I forget, I annihilated him when we jousted." Marie saw that Harry's lid was all to close to blowing off, so she stepped in between them.

"Your highness, the last time I saw you, you were just a boy." She offers her hand and he seductively kisses it. Which makes all parties involved, aside from him, uncomfortable.

"I thought that was you, your grace." Again, his eyes scan her slender body. "It has been far too many years...but they have done wonders for you. You are positively radiant."

"And you look...quite developed." Harry snickers at Marie's clear, but seemingly innocent jab. Leopold steps forward and slips his arm around her waist.

"May I ask what you are doing with this boy?" Filipe was only one year older than Leopold and two years older than Harry. He was twenty and he'd already been married twice, and both of his wives had been beheaded due to adultery. Marie, when she'd heard the news, knew there was much more to the story. He did frighten her, much like his father. They were vicious men, following in the footsteps of their ruthless line.

"Princess Marie has come to us, to wed my son. They will surely be revered rulers of both France and England." King Frederick notes, knowingly. Marie thinks back to Harry's words. Pompous and simply the worst. This was but a drastic understatement. He was horrid and she felt as though she could practically sniff it out.

"Of course she has..." He grimaces. "But, with all due respect, your majesty, the Princess would have been much more...satisfied, had she made a different decision with a much stronger country." She can feel Harry's body language as he stiffens, as does her betrothed, but Marie of France is passionate and much like the youngest Prince in her rather impulsive ways.

"England may be small, but we are strong, and with my country by our side, we are more so." She takes a step toward him, menacingly. "And when it comes to satisfaction, your highness," She lets her eyes travel down to his crotch and she laughs bitterly, "I've heard plenty about Spain's size, and I assure you, I would not be impressed." Filipe is clearly vexed by the disrespect, but before he can do a thing about it, the King steps in.

"The Princess has had a long day, perhaps she'd like to return to her chambers?" She's unsure of whether she'll get an earful from him later, but she's feeling triumphant now, which to her, is all that matters.

"Of course, your majesty." As she turns to walk away, Leopold follows her and Harry stays close by, within earshot of their whispered conversation.

"I know he's ill-mannered, but you cannot say those things. It is not your place, Marie. I can't have you making a mockery of this attempt at peace." Marie bites her tongue and Harry rolls his eyes. "And be glad I've spoken to you, and not my father."

"I understand."

"Go to your chambers, please. I'll have your supper sent up." She lets her mouth fall agape.

"Is this some sort of punishment? I'm being sent to my room, like a child?"

"You've disrespected the Prince—"

"As he has disrespected me!" Leopold sighs and steps back. "But of course, his friendship takes precedence over my honor, doesn't it?"

"Under these circumstances, with peace so close, yes. It does." Marie bites her lip, and suddenly, she's humiliated that Harry has probably heard his brother's scolding. Besides the handsome, curly-haired Prince, she feels alone, knowing that Leopold will probably never give her the respect that she so deserves.

"Don't bother sending me dinner. I'm not hungry." She walks away, without another word.

+

The two young guards step aside as she approaches the large oak doors, leading to her bedchambers, and they bow to her. Would you be honest with me, both of you?" They're confused, but they step forward and Marie quiets her voice.

"Of course, your grace."

"How much are you being paid to report back to the King and Queen?" They look to one another, with guilt written all over their faces.

"We don't follow..."

"You don't need to lie, I know more than you'd think." She doesn't really, but she'd seen her parents pull similar tactics in the past. "I promise, I won't get angry, just...please, tell me the truth." Again, they remain quiet, unsure of what to do. Marie sighs, sadly. "I am alone in this castle. I have no family, no friends and no one that I can trust. Please, I beg of you, whatever they have offered, I will double—no, I will triple whatever that may be. All I ask is for privacy. I just want to trust someone..." She bats her eyelashes and pouts, knowing that she's beautiful and knowing the affect she has on men, especially younger men. "I will protect you, and I will take care of you both, I give you my word." They nod, and one speaks up.

"We are...being paid, your grace."

"Will you accept my offer? Can I trust you, to be my confidants?"

"You will triple it, your grace?"

"I'll triple it." It's not as though she doesn't have the means. They are skeptical, but soon, she's won them over and they agree to keep her secrets safe. "I'll be right back..." She steps into her room and immediately jumps as she sees the body sitting in one of her armchairs. She puts her finger to her lips, signaling her need for him to be quiet. She quickly grabs a small pouch of sterling and glides back to her door. "This is just a promise of what's to come." Gladly, they take the pouch, telling her that they'll split it evenly, and then they thank her. "I'd like to be left alone tonight. No guests, please? I have an awful headache and I'd like to go straight to bed."

"Of course, we'll make sure of it. But what of your ladies?"

"I will not be needing them this evening." They bow to her and then shut the doors behind as she retreats back to the safety of her chambers. 

Harry stands up and she hurries to him. "What are you doing? How did you get in?"

"It was actually quite dangerous...I swung down from the balcony above."

"You're mad!" She can't help but smile up at him. "But, I didn't want to see you...not after you heard my conversation with Leopold."

"He's preposterous, Marie..." He cups her face, tenderly. "I thought you were absolutely brilliant. Filipe had it coming, and I truly was seconds away from smashing his jaw in."

"I could tell."

"You were magnificent..." His chuckle was melodious, "And brave...and my brother is clearly blind and deaf."

"Is this what my life is going to be? Will I be as pitiful and devalued as if I were his pet?"

"Leo...his idea of ruling doesn't necessarily involve women. He's a bit...chauvinistic. He's not a terrible or cruel man, he's just...he believes that women are simply not fit to truly rule."

"What of your beliefs?" Her eyes search his, and he gives her more honesty.

"I believe that women are...equal, if not better than us mere men, and I think that they're better fitted to rule than anyone else." His dimples are deep as he smiles cheekily down at her.

"And if I were your wife?"

"You'd come first, always. No kingdom, or country would be more important to me than you."

"And that is why you'd be a terrible king." She says, teasingly.

"That may be true...but knowing that you were happy, would be more than enough. Love, if it were up to me, would always come first." Every part of her wishes he and Leo's roles were reversed. Oh, what she'd give to be promised to him. There is a knock at her door and they both panic.

"Hold on!" She calls, as she shoves him towards her bed. "Get under the bed, hurry!" He chuckles quietly as he does so and when he's out of sight, she gives the okay. One of her guards looks scared as he peeks in.

"The King is here...he wishes to see you, your grace..." Her stomach drops and she's fearful of what's to come. She barely nods before he's marching into her chambers.

"Marie, I wanted to..." He sighs, "Apologize for sending you away. I know how discourteous Prince Filipe can be, and he disrespected you, I only wanted to keep him from pestering you further." She's entirely taken aback. "In the future, I'd rather you refrained from mouthing off to royals, specifically, royals whom we are discussing peace treaties with...but I apologize on behalf of myself, and the Spanish snake. He's very good at mirroring his father's mannerisms and treatment of others."

"I'm well aware...it's been so long since we played together, as children, but he's uncannily similar to the King." Marie folds her hands together, "I promise to bite my tongue next time." He chuckles, "But thank you, your majesty, I hadn't expected an apology from you, but I do appreciate it."

"My wife and I admire you for coming here, and we believe that you'll be a great leader one day, so I'd like you to know that we'll always be beside you—supporting you."

"That means a great deal to me, your majesty. Thank you very much." He smiles warmly before turning to leave. Marie feels empowered. The King of England just apologized to her...as well acknowledging her future ability to lead.

"No more visitors, your grace?" Her guard asks.

"No more visitors, please." The doors shut and Harry crawls out from his hiding spot.

"Well, that was interesting..." He comments, slyly.

"Should I be surprised?"

"My father is many things, but his kindness is what I respect the most...and of course, his mastery at knowing a leader when he sees one..."

"That eased quite a few of my nerves."

"As it should have." Marie is feeling confident and rebellious, which are both dangerous attributes to possess in her position, but she doesn't think about anything further. She closes the distance between herself and Harry and their lips are so close, she can feel his breath, tickling her nose. "Are you sure?" He asks, carefully, his hands softly gripping the silk bodice of her dress.

"I am to be a Queen, but for now...I'm still a Princess and I intend to enjoy the time that I have with you, before I'm married off to your brother..." She lets Harry seal the caress against her mouth. His lips are so soft and warm, and he holds her safely in his embrace. When they pull away, even after the short kiss, Marie is breathless. "Is that the way it always feels?" Never knowing the feeling until this moment.

"In my experience, it's never been as remarkable as that...you are truly an angel, your grace."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

44.3K 2.3K 59
|BOOK 1| |Completed and Editing| Instead of having two close "girl" best friends, she has two close " Boy" best friends and they were inseparable. Th...
592K 34.3K 36
{WATTYS 2020 WINNER} {FEATURED BOOK} Paris, 1663. 500 girls selected by King Louis XIV embark on a journey across the seas from their homeland. Each...
234K 4.9K 49
They've known each other since they were eleven, inseparable best friends for as long as they can remember, but long distance and spotty behavior cau...
60.2K 1K 23
COMPLETED ----- What would you do if your dad was marring someone halfway across the world and you had to move there? What would happen if the women...