Love in his Lie

By sylviaNgould

Danielle "Dani" Joyce has been working long hours and living paycheck to paycheck to keep her bakery, The Dou... More

Introduction
Found
Siblings
Address
Suburbs
Introductions
Fire
Wine
Proposal
Lunch
Money
Exit
Embrace
Gossip
Games
Doctor
Permission
Expectations
Advice
Shoes
Surprise
Basket
Friendship
Relief
Command
Comfort
Entitlement
Plans
Circle
Air
Glow
Duty
Honesty
Done
Truth
Confessions
Partners
Epilogue
Bonus Chapter

Monster

1.5K 129 10
By sylviaNgould

"It was just a hug, Dani. You're going to have to let it go if you're going to survive this."

Mindy picked up each bun with care, moving them off the baking sheet and then onto a cooling rack. I was pulling out the last batch of buns from the oven, my eyes darting between the baking sheet and the clock above our worktable, more terrified of Wes's approaching arrival than burning myself on the industrial sized oven.

"I know, I know," I mumbled, the words now a mantra to keep my mind focused on making the buns instead of how Wes's arms felt around my body, pressing me into his chest.

"Family members hug all the time." Mindy's voice was flat and tired as she moved another batch of buns from the cooling rack to a large box for transport. "By the time you and Justin say 'I do,' you'll be pecking people's cheeks."

"I know, I know."

"Do you? Because you never let me decorate anything and yet, I'm the one putting icing on these things because your hands are shaking so badly."

"It's just a cross," I muttered. "It's not like you are doing rosettes."

"Thank goodness for that." Her voice trailed with concentration. She drew long lines of white icing over several buns at once and then ran perpendicular lines down each column. With that out of the way, she turned back to face me with a smug smile. "And it's just a hug."

"It," I paused, chewing my lower lip with indecision as I looked up at Mindy from the tops of my eyes. "It's just that it's been a long time since anyone has, I guess, you know..."

"Shown you affection? Touched you? Got up close and personal?" Mindy's smile widened and my cheeks burned. Taking pity, she sighed before gliding over and wrapping me in her arms. "I know, I know. I'm just trying to mess with you to make you feel better, not worse. It's been a while since a guy has given you any kind of physical attention. I can understand how flustered you must be."

Planting my face into her shoulder, I mumbled my words against her hoodie. "But is it cheating?"

"Of course not, Dani."

"But... I liked it."

"Of course you did. He's a good-looking guy. What's not to like?" She then pulled away and gave me a warm smile. "Just think of it this way. If there's anyone out there that's going to be the closest thing—genetically speaking—to Justin, it's going to be his brother. So I suppose it's reasonable to have some sort of attraction there."

"I never said I was attracted..."

"And another thing," she said, cutting me off as she went to move the freshly baked buns onto the now empty cooling rack, "outside of a drunken promise, you have never actually committed yourself to Justin. So, if you ask me, you could have sex with Wes and that still wouldn't be cheating."

"Mindy?!" I hissed.

"It's true," she said with a shrug. "I mean, you still don't even know if this engagement thing is legitimate or just a huge misunderstanding. For all you know, Wes could be up for the taking. Although..."

Her words trailed and her eyes looked out into the front of house, watching the street as a shiny, black luxury car pulled up along the sidewalk. She then bit her bottom lip as a smile curled up her cheek.

"Although," she continued, "if things don't work out with Wes, you should put in a good word for me and set me up on a date."

To my great disappointment, I could not come up with a retort. Instead, I struggled to understand the little monster inside me that felt angry at Mindy's suggestion; that coveted the small link I had with Wes and didn't want to share it. When I failed to produce a comeback before he knocked on our door, Mindy's impish grin shifted to a small, knowing smile.

"It will be okay, Dani. Just hang in there."

She patted me on the shoulder and then headed towards the doors to let him in.

Desperate to have a few more moments to collect myself, I darted behind the partitioning wall and set to work, moving the remaining buns into boxes and icing them.

"Coffee!" I heard Mindy shout from the front. "You shouldn't have."

"I don't know how long it takes to make these things, but I figured you two may have had an early morning, so I thought I'd bring something over."

"We always have early mornings," said Mindy with a flourish of charismatic charm that only fed the little green monster growing inside of me. "At this point, they're just mornings to us. However, your caffeinated offering is appreciated. I also see you've come burdened with more than just coffee."

Their voices were moving towards the back, but Mindy kept her pace slow and I was grateful for her patience with my muddled emotions. She may have enjoyed her teasing, but she was a good friend.

"This is actually for you," said Wes. "No one is safe from my mother. When I told her you were probably helping with making the buns, she immediately put together an Easter basket for you and has also extended you an invitation to the picnic as well. If you want to go."

I dropped the piping bag, the metal tip clanging loudly against the worktable. A sudden fear clenched my chest. In almost any social circumstance I'd ever been in, having Mindy, by my side, was a lifesaver. Yet, in this situation, I couldn't picture her protecting me from strangers. Instead, I only envisioned how effortlessly she'd hold a conversation with Wes in the intimate confines of his car. The resentment felt so foreign and I could not shake it off of my heart.

"Oh no," she said with a light laugh. "Tell your mother she didn't need to make me a basket, though I appreciate it. That being said, I like to spend my days off in the quiet of my apartment. You know, get some cleaning done, catch up on my reading..."

She was lying through her teeth, and her playfulness rang clear in her bright voice. I don't know if Wes could tell, but even if he did, he seemed like the kind of guy that wouldn't be calling her out on it.

"You and Dani have a good time. I'll just go save her from the buns back there so you all can get going."

I had just finished closing up the last box when my friend rounded the corner, her eyebrows bouncing with mischievousness. I only responded with a pinch of my lips and a bend of my brow before picking up a few of the boxes in silence. Mindy let me stew as she grabbed the few boxes that remained.

"Good morning, Danielle."

A warm, tentative smile twisted Wes's thin lips, and I noticed the same edgy uncertainty he had when we parted from our embrace. At least I wasn't the only one still rattled by the experience.

"Good morning," I said, adjusting the boxes to fit more comfortably in my arms. "Would you mind opening the door?"

"Of course."

The task snapped him from his own distant confusion and soon we were placing the boxes into the trunk of his car.

"Think they'll be all right back here?" he asked before closing the door.

"They'll be fine," said Mindy from the bakery's stoop. "They're nice and cozy back there. I'm sure they'll keep each other safe so long as they are snug in their boxes."

I felt a sort of tease tickling her voice, and I rolled my eyes before flashing her an amused smile. Looking victorious, she gave us a parting wave.

"Have fun, you two, and make sure she's back by nine. We have a curfew in this house."

And with that, she slipped through the door, leaving Wes and I to hop into his car and make our way down the street.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

246K 10.5K 42
Holly Moran wanted to be a baker her entire life, so when the chance came to purchase a cute little bakery in Harlington, North Dakota, she emptied h...
61.6K 547 12
Danielle, a hired bridesmaid begins a 'fuck' spree with Molly, the bride. Danielle, finding it hard to resist the sexiest bride she's ever lusted af...
24.7K 848 37
Confronted by deeply suppressed feelings of love and grief, Danielle, a fierce young independent Cake Shop owner, tries to find the meaning of life...
598 43 18
Danielle Russo is a down on her luck twenty year old working from pay check to pay check to feed her addiction as she runs from all her problems unti...