I Have Decided to Protect My...

By Rose_Valentine15

Kaede Sakamoto, just your average Japanese high school girl. She was hit by 'Truck-san' and died. Surprise... More

A/N
Chapter 1: I Died
Chapter 2: I Reincarnated
Chapter 3: Dinner
Chapter 4: Etiquette
Chapter 5: Music
Chapter 6: Dancing
Chapter 7: Singing
Chapter 8: Languages
Chapter 9: History
Chapter 10: Litterature
Chapter 11: Geography
Chapter 12: Fiancé
Chapter 13: Fiancé (Ren POV)
Chapter 14: The Library
Chapter 15: The Library (Ren POV)
Chapter 16: The Garden Pt. 1
Chapter 17: The Garden Pt. 2 (Ren POV)
Chapter 18: Ceremony of Magi
Chapter 19: Three Powers
Chapter 20: The Day Before
Chapter 22: Engagement Ball
Chapter 23: Coronation
Chapter 24: Entrance Exam
A/N
A/N
Chapter 25: Starry Sky
Chapter 26: Preparation
Chapter 27: Master
Chapter 28: Quiet Goodbyes (Ren POV)
Chapter 29: First Classes
Chapter 30: A Twisting Plot
Chapter 31: A Twisting Plot Pt. 2 (Alexander POV)
Chapter 32: Sour Mood (Ren POV)
Chapter 33: Letters
Chapter 34: Magic
Chapter 35: Signs
Chapter 36: The Attack
Chapter 37: Regret
Chapter 38: Aftermath
Chapter 39: Change
Epilogue
Afterword

Chapter 21: Debutante Ball

21.9K 824 493
By Rose_Valentine15

The debutant ball is almost starting, and my maids are almost finished getting me ready. I was wearing a cream coloured off shoulder dress. It had a layer of chiffon with decorated flowers and butterflies. My hair was down and no makeup. I must say, I do look very pre-*ahem* The maids did a very good job.

I stepped out my room and walked down the hall, stopping in front of the doors to the ballroom. The knights guarding the door opened them, and I saw a beautifully decorated ball full of people. I lifted the sides of my dress slightly and walked down the steps. Everyone's eyes turned to look at me, and I spotted mother and father with Ren. I also saw, the heroine.

Curly brown hair with a round face. She wore a beautiful lilac dress decorated with roses. She looked exactly like the game.

Actually, this ball is the first event in the game. The player, or heroine, will meet two capture targets; prince Ren, and Lucas.

Honestly, I'm a bit nervous about meeting her, but she's designed as a charming and clumsy type character, so I'm sure it's ok. In the game, Liliane is introduced as the villainess when the heroine trips and knocks over a server with a tray of drink onto her dress. Liliane throws a fit and blah blah blah. Well, I plan to simply catch them if that ever happens; Ms. Foxard trained me enough to fight off assassins, so I'm pretty sure I can catch a few drinks.

While I was thinking so, I was at the bottom of the stairs. I walked up to my parents and Ren, as everyone split up to make a path. I greeted them, and once we talked for a bit, we were interrupted by a few archduchesses congratulating my birthday.

As I said hello and thank you, the heroine came up to me and actually tripped...just like the game. It seemed a bit on purpose, but I'm sure it's my imagination.

"Ahh!"
The heroine let out a cute squeak and bumped into the server. The tray tipped towards me and the drinks started to leave their glass.

I quickly reacted. I grabbed the tray first, caught the drinks and balanced them. Of course, still maintaining my grace.

"?"
The heroine looked shocked but it quickly faded right away. I'm either starting to become paranoid, or...no. It's probably my imagination.

"I'm so sorry! I can't believe that I just did something like that! Please forgive me!"

"Oh, no worries. Everyone trips; are you okay?"

She looked shocked again.

"Oh, y-yes. Thank you."

"I believe I haven't caught your name yet. May I ask for it?"

"Yes! My name is Clara Viermera. I am the daughter an Earl. I give you my congratulations for your birthday, Liliane."

...

"You're the daughter of Earl Viermera? I've heard a lot of you from your father. He says you're a very cheerful girl. Also very clumsy. I see where he comes from."

"Oh, I'm embarrassed. I can't believe father said that to you, Liliane."

Before I could correct her, waltz music began to play.

"Re-"

"Princess Liliane, could you do me the honour of dancing the first waltz with me?"
I heard the heroi- Clara about to say something, but she was cut off.

Thinking that it was nothing big, I stepped onto the dance floor with Ren.
"It would be my pleasure."

We danced for two songs, then took a break. I headed to the drink area, grabbing a small glass of white wine. It seems like when you become 14, you are allowed to drink. Surprisingly, I have a strong tolerance to alcohol.

I found out when I was 13, when I accidentally drank some red wine at Ms. Krayla's birthday party. My magic teacher seems to love alcohol, so in thanks for teaching me, father arranged a wine tasting party for her. Emma had readied a grape juice for me, but it looked similar to wine and I drank the wine by accident. I found out later on at the party it was wine when mother drank my cup of grape juice. It seems our cups got switched. By then, I already had 3 glasses, so I guess I should have noticed, but wine was pretty good...

A-Anyway, that's how I found out that I had a high tolerance.

As the noble greeted and congratulated me again and again, I caught Ren and Clara together. It seemed like she asked him to a dance. I was feeling a bit jealous, but there was no helping it. My engagement with the prince hasn't been officially announced so he can dance with whoever he wants.

Actually, in the game, Clara is supposed to dance with the prince, and the prime Minister's son. Yet, I don't see Lucas anywhere.

"Princess Liliane."
I turned around. Speak of the devil. He was here.

" Lucas Mortimer, right?"

"Yes. I am honoured that the Princess knows of my name."

"...y-yes. What brings you here?"

"Oh, just to congratulate the princess on her 14th birthday."

"Why thank you."

"Have you seen my father? I need to discuss something with him."

"Yes. I saw him over at the buffet table."

"Thank you very much."

With that, he bowed and left. I didn't expect much, but I guess Lucas and Liliane's relationship really is indifferent.

Lucas walked towards his father and started to discuss something with him. I moved towards the buffet table, but still close to the drink area. I enhanced the magic around my ears to make my hearing better.

"Father, I need to discuss something with you."

"What is it? You know that I'm busy."

"Eating?"

"...Son, you shouldn't interrupt your father.........what is it?"

"It's about your...work."

"! You know you're not allowed to talk about that outside of my office."

"I know, but it's urgent."

"What's wrong?"

"The embezzlement of the treasury is going to be found out soon. One of the King's dogs is sniffing around it."

"How long?"

"He's been doing it for about a month. I've been limiting the information as much as I can, but he's going to find out soon. Another week at most."

"I see."

"What should we do father? You're going to be too busy this week to give orders to them so-"

"It's alright. Contact D."

"?! D? Are you sure, father? He's an a-----i-, and a -e---. W- ---'t t--st h-m."

I couldn't hear hear the rest of the conversation. I'm guessing that Lucas put up a thin sound barrier around them so no one could hear their conversation. He probably didn't put it up at the beginning because he was afraid the guards would catch him using magic, and the conversation wasn't too risky. His father is the Prime Minister, after all. Even if someone did overhear their conversation, they could cover it up by saying it was a plan to stop embezzlement or something. I should probably ask father to look into it after the party. But to think that Lucas was in on the dark side with his father...it really is different from the original story, huh.

I looked back to the buzzing crowd and the ringing orchestra. The dance floor was filled with people, including Ren and Clara dancing together. They were awfully close, and Clara's bust seemed to be pressed against Ren's chest. I started to get a bit pissed. I understood it was inevitable in my head, but my emotions wouldn't stay put.

I took another sip of wine.

I stared at the two dancing for a while, and I felt myself glaring at them from time to time.

"Princess Liliane, would you do me the honour of having this dance with me?"

Lucas suddenly was in front on me, holding by hand. He softly kissed it, and smiled cheerfully.

As expected of a capture target; he's definitely handsome. If it was any other girl at the ball, they would instantly be a fan of his. Unfortunately, I'm not 'any other girl', so it won't work on me, Mr. Con Artist. I seriously can't believe that he was such a bad character! I mean, he's supposed to be a, quote "cheerful and bright character". Exact words of the game. The exact. Same. Words.

I stood there staring at him for a second while thinking that.

"Of course."

I said those words with a small smile, and Lucas led me by the hand to the dance floor to join the waltz.

I was dancing with him for about two songs, and I still saw Ren dancing with Clara! He only danced two songs with me, and he was dancing about five songs with her! Is this the horrifying truth of the charm of the heroine?!

Feeling a bit depressed and still pretty pissed, I parted ways with Lucas and headed to the drink table once again. Unlike Ren, I will not dance more than two songs with another partner when I only danced two with my fiancé.

I took a glass of red wine this time, drinking all of it in a few seconds. I'm not actually allowed to do this since it wasn't 'princess like', but everyone is at the dance floor or mingling with other nobles so no one was at the drink table.

I took a few more refills.

I can't even get drunk. I don't know if this should be good or bad.

"Liliane! There you are!"
I turned around, recognizing that voice. It was Clara, with Ren by her side.

Liliane, Liliane...It's been bothering me for a while. Why wasn't she using any manners? I am part of the royal family, and she's the daughter of an earl; she should be using the proper honourifics.

"Princess. Princess Liliane, Miss Clara. The daughter of an earl must know her proper manners, you know. It's a serious issue for respecting each other's positions and families..."

Whoops. That sounded villain-like...but still, it's the truth. If she keeps doing that, it might lead her to a irreversible situation..

...

?!

Wha-why is she crying?

"Uahhh!"

The whole crowd suddenly turned towards us. The orchestra even stopped playing. It was complete silence, making her Clara's cries echoed even louder.

"What's going on here?!"

Clara's father stormed towards us.

Okay, pause.

Let's assess the situation here. I'm going to be the crown princess of this country, but I'm still not. I may be the only heir to the throne, but if I'm deemed unfit, the next person in line would be the closest blood related relative of mine, which would be my cousin. Now, that's not the main issue here. Earl Viermera is know to be a daughter-con. If his daughter cries, or offended, the person who caused that is going to earn a lot of misfortune. Even if that person is a princess or the next heir to the throne.

To make sure that I can keep my position as heir, I need to please this doting father and satisfy the crowd of nobles behind us.

Right now, this daughter-con is storming towards us. There are three ways to control this predicament.
1. Deny the fact completely and say that Clara just suddenly started crying.
2. Say that Clara was the one wrong; shift the blame on her.
3. Apologize and say it was my fault.

1 is just completely ridiculous and 2 will only make things worse. 3 seems like the most appropriate decision.

Earl Viermera reached our position and started to comfort Clara.

"Can you please inform me what is going on here?"
His expression and words were polite, but his tone was demanding and angry.

"Father, it's not Liliane's fault! I was the one who talked to her suddenly, I'm sure she was startled. It's not like she started yelling and criticizing me on propose."

...

I think I'm going insane. I think I just misheard Clara; it sounded like she was trying to make me sound bad. There's no way, right?

"Your Highness, is that true?"
His expression was no longer polite, but imposing and in rage.

"Father, stop! Liliane isn't wrong! She was probably jealous of me because I was dancing with Ren!"

"Your Highness! I can't believe you've sunk low enough to be blinded by jealousy!"

He's not even going to bother with asking me my side of the story, isn't he?

I looked around, seeing that all the nobles were glaring at me. I wasn't in the mood to look at Ren. I looked over at my parents; they had calm expressions.

I see; no help from my parents. I guess this is something that I must overcome on my own. There will be much more difficult hurdles in the future. I can't let this bring me down.

...

"It is true that I was slightly...distracted that Miss Clara was dancing with Prince Ren. But that has nothing to do with this."

"-"

Earl Viermera was about to say something, but I silenced him by holding up my hand.

"I only did what I thought was necessary. She called me Liliane, without any honourifics. I simply gave her a warning that calling a noble, or one with a higher status than her without any honourifics could lead to serious consequences. Of course, I had no intention of doing so, but I still do hold pride in my status as this country's princess. Also, if she kept doing that, someday in the future she might meet someone who does not allow any insult to their status that might make her regret what she did. I simply wanted to make sure that she did not have to go through that. I do not regret what I said to her, and I will not apologize for something I do not regret doing."

I kind of got heated in the moment, but I hope it's okay...

The audience seemed shocked. Murmurs started to fill the room.

"Silence."

The ballroom was suddenly hushed by a resounding command from the King.

"Earl Viermera, I believe my daughter is right. I don't see a good reason to why she should be blamed here. Addressing nobles with higher status without honourifics, that could become a serious offence to many. You should teach your daughter some proper manners."

Whoops. I forgot my father is a bit doting as well. I should step in before things get a little too out of hand.

"Father, it's alright. We are all people of this land. There is no use of arguing between ourselves. I admit that my tone might have been a bit harsh, so it was a fault on my side as well. I only hope that Miss Clara will be more careful from now on, for the sake of herself and her family's honour."

I looked over the crowd, and they looked satisfied with my answer. Good. I guess giving the blunt truth is another good way to convince someone. I glanced back at Clara-

!

She's...glaring at me?

I look back again. She's still crying...That was probably my imagi-...I shouldn't call it off as my imagination every time, should I? I should probably be careful around her. Her atmosphere's a bit too different from the original setting of the heroine...maybe another fellow reincarnated person?

"Miss Clara, I may have been harsh in tone; I am sorry that I frightened you that much."

I handed her a handkerchief I got from Emma.

She slowly reached out for it, then slapped my hand away. The crowd held their breath, and Clara ran towards the double doors leading to the garden outside the ballroom.

"I will go check on her."

I walked towards the garden as well. I opened the double doors and walked into the garden, The moon was out, and the night was chilly. I shuddered, hugging myself for warmth. I scanned the area in the darkness, searching for Clara.

"You're from Earth, aren't you?"

"?!"

I turned around, seeing Clara behind me with an angry expression.

"Don't play dumb. I know you are. You're too different from the game. Are you from Japan as well?"

"!...Yes."

"Oh? You're going to answer me? Well that's convenient."

"What do you want?"

"Easy. Give up on Ren. Or, even better, break your engagement with him."

"?! Why?"

"Well, obviously, I'm going to create my own harem. I was going to add Ren to it first, but he completely ignored my advances! I can't believe you!"

"Me?"

"Yeah, you. You probably asked someone to put charm magic on him, didn't you? That's the only way that someone would actually like the Villainess."

"I didn't ask anyone to cast charm magic on him; even if I did, no one would ever do it. Ren is a prince from a country with a strong military. No one would dare lay a finger on him."

" Humph. I don't care about your lies. This is for the best. Give him to me at once!"

...

This is...tiring. I can't believe the heroine was reincarnated as such an obnoxious person...

"I refuse. Ren is not your toy. Don't go deciding what he wants."

"What? He's just a game character! As long as I play the right choices, he'll be dancing around my little finger."

I narrowed my eyes.
"He is not a character in a game. He is a real, living, breathing human. He has his own thoughts. This isn't a simple game anymore. This is our new world that we're going to be living in from now on. Have you even considered it like that?"

"Pffffft...Are you being serious right now? Does it look like I care? We know how this world works! If I play my cards right, I could end as a queen, living in a carefree life, with handsome men serving me with every fibre in their bodies. That's my ultimate goal. What do you think? Isn't it perfect?"

"..."

"Speechless? Oh well, I don't care for your opinion anyway. What I do need you to do is to act more villainous. Without you, my plan won't progress very smoothly."

"I refuse. Why would I even volunteer to take up a villainous role?"

"I don't know. Maybe because if you don't, you're going to die?"

"You're threatening to kill me now?"

"What? No! Who do you think I am? I mean, that the charm magic cast on Ren won't last very long. When it wears off, he's going to be completely fed up with you. Then, he'll fall in love with me, and then your countries will go to war. You don't want to die again, do you? If you give him to me now, and break your engagement with him, I'll make sure that your life will be spared. What do you think? A pretty good deal, don't you think?"

Completely idiotic. This person is an idiot. This plan has too many holes, and on what basis would she even think some sane person would cast charm magic, on a prince even? First of all, the rate of someone able to cast charm magic is really rare, so finding one and convincing one to brainwash a prince would be utterly unrealistic...this is going nowhere.

"I-"

"Lili."

"Ren!? What are you doing here?"

"It's Prince Ren, Miss Clara. Lili just advised you on that, remember?"

"R-Right. Why are you here?"

"I came here looking for you."

"You did? What can I do for you, Prince Ren?"

Clara's attitude changed completely, and she was talking sweetly at Ren again. I felt that I might start glaring at Ren again, so I averted my eyes.

"Your father is asking for you to come back to the ball room. He said that you two will be excusing yourselves for tonight."

"Oh. I see. I'll go right away. Thank you, Prince Ren."

Clara ran off, with a cheerful smile on her face. She was a good actress. I could probably convince myself I was seeing a hallucination earlier if I wanted to.

"..."

Silence filled the moonlit garden. Ren suddenly spoke up.

"Lili, sorry that I couldn't spend time with you this ball. Miss Clara...um...she..."

"She what?"

"She pulled me into dancing with her. I swear that I there wasn't anything else!"

"I never asked if there was anything else other than the two of you dancing...did something actually happen between the two of you?"

"!"

"Ren?"

"...sh.......ed..e."

"What?"

"She........ed..e."

"I can't hear you if you keep covering your mouth like that, you know?"

"She hugged me."

...I blinked. I turned around, staring at the moon. I was trying to suppress my laughter.

"There wasn't anything romantic about it, I promise!"

"When?"

"When we were taking a break from dancing. I led her here, and, well, it happened. She said that she was feeling a bit dizzy from the champagne she drank earlier so I took her outside for some fresh air. She said I was nice, then she hugged me. I'm really sorry."

"Then why did you keep dancing with her? Why did you hide it from me?"

"She asked me to dance again, when we went back inside. It was in front of her father, and you know him...I couldn't refuse. I just couldn't tell you, because I felt really guilty about it, and..."

His voice was panicked, and I could feel that he was really sorry. It was really funny, to be honest. It seems that here, hugs and kisses are supposed to be only shared between lovers, or family members. A hug to me wasn't that much of a big deal. Jealous over that? Ain't nobody got time for that.

But, letting her press her chest against him? There was a limit to my patience. Teasing Ren would be fun too.

"You really are too nice Ren."

My voice came out smooth and clear, ringing soundly in the silent garden.

"But I'm not too forgiving."

I turned around, looking straight into his eyes. He was panicked. I smiled. He looked even more nervous. Do I look scary or something?

"You leave too many openings too."

"What?"

I stepped towards him, placing my hand on his cheek, and kissed him softly; not on the cheek, but on the lips.

I opened my eyes, looking at him again. He was all red. I grinned.

"That's for leaving me all alone during the ball."

Ren dropped to the ground and I left him in the garden to let him process what had just happened and walked back to the ballroom, humming, in a happy mood. The Viermera family left, and my debutante ball silently came to an end.
_________________________
A/N: That was such a long chapter! I think that was the longest one yet. The heroine finally appears! Next is the engagement ball!
Sorry for the long wait! I was down with the stomach flu and I had to do a bunch of tests to make up for it. I'll try my best to update more often!
Here's a picture of the heroine/Clara:

Hope you guys enjoyed the chapter!
(๑>◡<๑)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

118K 5K 29
I, Ishihara Jun was killed in a plane crash at the age of 18. I was on my way to a job interview in South Korea when another plane hit ours. I protec...
1M 33.8K 91
(Highest Ranked: #24 in Fantasy/Magic) THIS IS AN ORIGINAL STORY (2nd Book is already up on my Profile; This one is Complete) I died and when I woke...
58.7K 1.2K 21
"Yay it's here, the new anime on dvd is finally here! No more waiting it's just across the street" "Yay I got it!" What an amazing anime DVD can't be...
1.4K 92 16
My name is Min Ae-ri Shin ... Or it was that. One day as I was taking a bus home from my college as usual while playing an otome game on my phone si...