The Burden Of Love (Jonathan...

By Pentaholic2011

Emilia is a kind hearted girl who is facing insurmountable odds. Though she is just a school teacher she also... More

Passion. 1
Strength. 3
Something. 4
Alike. 5
Love. 6
Special. 7
Amen. 8
Fun. 9
Lucky. 10
Planted. 11
Ephemeral. 12
Change. 13
Firsts. 14
Present. 15
Belong. 16
Infinite. 17
Expression. 18
Surprise. 19
Love. 20
Begging. 21
Perk. 22
Wanted. 23
Risk. 24
Friends. 25
Fluidity. 26
Representation. 27
Double. 28
Mom. 29
Gift. 30
Goodbye. 31
Walking. 32
Closure .33
Truth .34
Within .35
Home .36
Crossroad .37
Eyes .38
Dance .39
Official .40
Success .41
Positives .42
Protect .43
Oppurtunities .44
Worth .45
Together .46
Butterflies .47
Heal .48
Incredible .49
Forever .50
Disguise .51
Hands .52
Hope .53
Lost .54
Missing .55
Sharing .56
Lucky .57
Greatness .58
Proud .59
Resolutions .60
Favorite .61
Sick .62
Ruby .63
Ring .64
Sticks .65
Always .66
Letter .67
Enough .68
Yes .69
The Burden Of Love

Lost. 2

359 7 0
By Pentaholic2011

Emilia

I was taught from a young age that when someone needs help, you help them. Even if you yourself need help too, that doesn't mean you can't help others along the way. Sometimes the solution to our issues are within the grasp of helping others. And I think that's what makes offering a hand to others easier, knowing what it's like to need something someone else has, and what it feels like to finally get that help. To be that something someone needs is special, we can't take for granted the aid we can provide for others. Even if we don't get much in return, it's still important to give as much as we can.

So maybe taking Kenneth in wasn't my best idea. Maybe he's better off in a foster home with people who know what it's like to raise a kid. But from what I know about the foster system in Chicago is that it's either top of the barrel or the bottom. And I wasn't ready to throw him to the wolves just yet. I went to the police and they have him in my custody for the foreseeable future with none of his relatives offering to help. Now I don't know much about being a mom but being a teacher helps me out a lot. I have kid sized things laying around and I know all about development and education. Now we just gotta figure the rest out.

I know it'll get me some looks. A very dark skinned boy following around a pale strawberry blonde girl with freckles and hazel eyes. You don't see that every day. But maybe that's what we need some more of in this world. Unconditional love that isn't defined by blood or color. Just the want for a better world.

So I bring Kenneth with me to the museum like I promised and I share all my knowledge I had about the history of this world and what it took for our paths to cross. He was a very impressionable little kid, liked to ask questions and seemed to retain quite a bit of it. It was kind of nice to have someone around since I've been on my own for a while.

I read the plaque about dinosaurs and their supposed downfall before looking up to see Kenneth wasn't by my side anymore. My eyes search whatever I could see and I quickly realize that he had wondered off. I've been a mother for mere days and already messed up big time. I frantically look around not wanting to call out his name and make a scene. There wasn't tons of people here but enough to make it hard for me to find him. I was a second away from finding a security guard and asking for help but I finally spot him. He was sitting on a bench talking with a handsome young man around my age. This guy had a strong build and soft brown hair that was kind of long. It wasn't curly but it wasn't straight either. His big brown eyes looking over at Kenneth as he smiles big. The man seemed friendly but I know this world can be a unfriendly place.

So I make my way over and Kenny smiles big when he sees me. He jumps up out of his seat and skips over to me before his arms latch around my legs. I hold him close so that he couldn't get away again.

"Kenny baby you can't walk off without telling me where you're going. I thought I lost you" I whisper. I cup his face in my hand as he gives me that "I'm sorry" look.

"I'm okay. Jonny found me and told me he would sit with me until we were together again. I told him you would come looking for me" he insists.

I turn to the man who stands up off the bench they were both just occupying. His tall frame throws his shadow over me as I look up at him. But his shadow didn't intimidate me and I didn't feel cold, instead his presence was warm and welcoming. His face shape and nose resembled those of Greek gods, his cheek bones so defined. They even had a hint of red that gave you a sense of comfort. He had this presence to him like he was important. You can see it in his deep brown eyes that are so full of secrets. I try my best not to be overwhelmed by this whole situation but his god like physique was not helping.

"Thank you for staying with him. I'm new to this whole mother thing and unfortunately for me some of these lessons are not very easy to learn. But I guess I'm still working on it" I admit.

"It's no problem, really. Kenny is a great kid and he never doubted you would come look for him. I really enjoyed our conversation in the mean time" the man says.

"Kenneth said that your name is Jonny, right" I ask.

"I am. And he said you're Emmy" he wonders.

"Emilia. But most people call me Emmy" I say as I stick out my hand. He shakes it and for a moment it feels like time slows down just long enough to get used to the feeling of his skin on mine right before we pull away.

"I guess that makes me Jonathan" he smiles down at me. I feel a little blush form as his eyes stayed on mine longer than any friendly gaze. I've never seen such intensity in someone's eyes before. I try to look away but I really couldn't. Something stopped me, I'm not quite sure what.

"So what brings you to the museum" I wonder just trying to make conversation.

"I don't have a lot of free time when I'm in the city so I wanted to come here before I can't anymore. I've been around a few times already but I still don't feel like I've seen everything" he admits.

"Knowledge is unlimited. You can come here millions of times and still learn something new. That's the beauty of life" I say.

"I think I'm starting to see that beauty" he claims as he looks right at me. I fight the smile off as I turn away a little.

"Can we go look at the other dinosaurs" Kenneth asks me and I nod.

"Of course sweetie" I assure him.

"Can Jonny come with us" he wonders.

"Ask him nicely if he would like to join" I encourage.

He turns to Jonny who bends down to see eye to eye with him. Usually with strangers I get nervous when my kids are around. But I truly believed this man means no harm.

"Can you come with us" Kenny asks him. "Please."

"I would love to" Jonathan smiles.

So we walk around and this time Kenny stays in front of me. We watch him do some of the interactive things with the exhibits and I take pictures like a proud mom. I haven't exactly boasted about him being with me, didn't have social media and don't have much family to talk to. He wasn't with me for me to be able to brag about what a great person I am to be doing this kid a favor. But I keep the pictures for me, for memories.

"So he's your son" Jonathan asks and I sigh.

"It's complicated. For reasons unknown his mom left and hasn't come back yet. We couldn't find his dad or any family so I offered for him to stay with me. I work with kids, I know how to keep him alive but I've never raised a kid before. I don't know what to do when my kid gets lost or where to take him for a hair cut. I'm pretty confused but I rather be lost than him feel alone" I admit.

"He absolutely adores you. He told me his mom never came back for him but you always do. It means the world to him" he tells me. I smile as I watch Ken make friends with the other kids.

"He's amazing. His situation sucks and it's not his fault. I just want him to know of a life that isn't hardship after hardship. God I hope I don't mess this up. He's going to do great things but he needs guidance so I'm hoping that through my journey I can help him out too" I explain.

"What is it you do" he asks.

"I'm a teacher. And what is it you do" I counter.

A smirk crawls on his face as he rubs his chin. "I play a little hockey" he claims.

"Oh! Like professional" I gasp.

"Yeah actually. I play for the Blackhawks" he informs me.

I stop walking as my eyes get big. He had that "surprise" look on his face but not as big as my surprised look. I run my fingers through my hair as I piece it together.

"You're Jonathan Toews" I finally connect.

"The one and only" he teases.

"Wow. Can't believe I didn't realize this earlier. You must think I'm a idiot" I laugh ironically.

"I don't think that about you at all" he assures me making me smile. "Quite the opposite really."

"Good. Because I swear I'm not some crazy teacher who can't keep track of a kid and is disconnected to the world she lives in. I just... have a lot going on. Kenneth doesn't even have a bed at my place and I have a million things to do at school. I'm trying to be more than I am because I have to be. But between teaching and making sure I can provide a good life for Kenny I just... I don't know" I sigh. "I'm sorry that I'm ranting to you. I'm sure you have better things to do."

"I have quite enjoyed my time with you and Kenny. I think I'm right where I'm supposed to be" he claims.

"You're supposed to be in a museum hanging out with two people you just met today" I ask.

He just shrugs his shoulders up before slowly letting them fall again. "Maybe" he tries.

We walk around for a hour just talking before Kenneth informs me that he was starving. I promised him some deep dish so it was time to leave. But I found saying goodbye harder than I thought it would be.

"It was really nice to meet you Jonathan. And thanks again for what you did for Kenneth. If I lost him and the police got involved I'm sure he would be taken away from the one person in his life he knows will always come looking for him" I say.

"It was my pleasure. But I hate to think this is the last time I would see you guys" he claims.

"So what happens next" I wonder.

"If I can, I would love to get your number. Then we can figure it out" he admits.

My cheeks grow warm as I pull my phone out. I hand it to him and he puts his name and number in there. I send him a text so he has my number too. We say our reluctant goodbyes before going our separate ways praying that we will meet again.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

148K 2.4K 70
Sometimes things don't work out the way they were supposed to be. Just ask Alexis Martin, a 24 year old girl who has been left to fight for her life...
60.1K 749 51
Jonathan isn't ready for his life to change. He hates where he is at right now but he doesn't know how to make it better either. Ariana's life chang...
13K 120 28
Sophie Adams is a student at Wichita State University where she is the captain of the volleyball team. Jonathan Toews is the captain of the Chicago B...
1.8K 41 22
As her brother gets drafted to another team and another city, Kaitlyn Gabriella Burish trades spots with him. As he leaves to go to Texas, she goes t...