Brewin' in the Boroughs

By 12YearsInAzkaban

"Race, what's goin' on? Where 'ave ya been?" Crutchie asked, eyeing the boy with worry. Race ignored him and... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
NOT an update
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Another Not Update
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Epilogue
What Comes Next?
Sequel?
Guess What

Chapter 24

965 46 204
By 12YearsInAzkaban

It had been a week since the big fight. Spot had tried to keep everything running smoothly, but for the first time he could remember, his boys were scared.

They didn't say it of course, but they didn't stay out late anymore. Everyone was back at the lodge by six. They kept quiet, only talking quietly in small groups.

They were all waiting for the day Hook came back and claimed Brooklyn as his own. Truthfully, Spot was too.

Hook had won, though not exactly fair and square, and he technically had the right to take over the borough.

"I'm the King of Brooklyn," Spot told himself. "He can't take it from me!"

He tried his best to sound strong. If he didn't seem sure about it, then neither would the boys and it would be that much easier to lose control.

"Here's what wese gonna do," Spot told Race one evening after the boys had disappeared up to bed. "When Hook comes back, wese gonna surprise him. We'll beat him, throw him out, and he won't bother us no more."

"I think you should just throw him off the bridge, he won't bother no one after that," Race stated darkly.

"Where'd that come from?" Spot asked, scrutinizing his friend.

Race shrugged. "Long day. Plus, Dimples still ain't said a word."

Spot sighed as he thought about the young boy. Dimples hadn't talked at all since he learned about his brother's death. He sold papers, then came back to the lodge and laid in bed until he fell asleep.

"He'll be fine," Spot said.

"You sure?"

"Ise seen tons of kids go through stuff like this Race, and I know you has too. He'll be fine. We all is."

"Spot, is this about your brother?"

"What are youse talkin' about?" Spot asked seriously, ignoring the mention of the brother he'd never really known. "Tony, you know that youse my only brother."

"If that's how you feel right now, we won't talk about it," Race said, getting up from his chair.

"You goin' to bed?"

"Yeah, figure I'd get some sleep so I ain't sleepin' in the streets tomorrow. You comin' too?"

"Yeah, I'll be up soon," Spot said, though he didn't move a muscle.

"Okay," Race hesitated on the steps. "Good night."

"G'night," Spot responded, still staring at the wall.

Race waited a minute, then turned and climbed the rest of the staircase, disappearing from view.

***

"Hey Jo, you okay?" Specs asked as the boys waited in line for their papers.

"Yeah, I'm fine," he nodded.

Specs watched him warily. "You sure?"

"Why wouldn't I be?" Jojo asked, feigning ignorance.

"You don't wanna talk? Fine, you don't have to. I was just tryin' to make sure youse alright," Specs replied as though it didn't matter whether Jojo answered or not.

"He's alright. Spot would've told us if he had...y'know."

"Yeah, he would have," Specs agreed.

"I don't need him here, I'm fine on my own."

"I know you are."

"Good... Do you... I mean, you do think..."

Jojo was quiet for a minute and Specs waited patiently for him to finish his thought.

"He's gonna come back, I mean when this is over. He'll come back to New York, right?"

"Of course he will," Specs smiled. "Conlon can't put up with him for too much longer."

"Yeah, you're right," Jojo smiled. "But until then, let's try to enjoy the quiet!"

"I'll agree to that one."

***

"Crutch, do you think I did the right thing?"

Crutchie looked over to Jack, who had stopped sketching in order to look at Crutchie and wait for his answer.

"I think you did it for the right reason," Crutchie responded, choosing his words carefully.

"Yeah, but was it a good choice?"

"I think you was tryin' to keep us safe, but I think that it was wrong to do that to Spot and his boys."

Jack's head dropped a bit. "I couldn't risk it."

"Look Jack, I ain't gonna hate ya because of this, but you asked what I thought."

Crutchie moved closer to Jack and patted his shoulder. He caught a glimpse of the sketch, just two eyes so far, but he knew it would turn out great.

"All the boys hate me!" Jack groaned.

"They don't hate ya! Theyse just a little upset right now."

"Haven't you heard anything Albert's been sayin'?"

Crutchie rolled his eyes. "That's how he always is, he don't know how to be nice."

"I feel guilty Crutch."

"You could always join back up," Crutchie suggested.

"Yeah, great idea! I'm sure Spot'll be thrilled to see me!" Jack scoffed. "He'll kill me!"

"Don't ya think it's the right thing to do?"

"I don't know," Jack shrugged.

Crutchie sighed. "It's your choice, but I think youse should. It's the only way to end this for good."

"Maybe. I'll think about it."

Crutchie carefully climbed down from the penthouse. Jack had barely noticed that he'd left.

"Convincin' him is gonna be harder than I thought. Looks like Ise gonna need some help."

***

"Jack! Jack, wait!"

It was the next day, and Jack had just sold his last paper when he heard the call.

"Katherine?"

Jack stopped, allowing her to reach him, before continuing. "Is somethin' wrong? You okay?"

"I'm fine, Jack. I just wanted to talk."

"'Bout what?" Jack asked, already knowing the answer.

"I heard about Brooklyn."

"Ain't everybody?" Jack laughed bitterly. "These either laughin' about how Ise a coward, or theyse complainin' about how I don't have any loyalty."

Jack paused, glancing at Katherine from the corner of his eye. "You ain't gonna start that too, are you?"

"No! Of course not!" Katherine exclaimed. "I just wanted to say that... I understand Jack. It's just like during the strike. You try to stop everyone from getting hurt, and that's such a good trait! But sometimes you need to let the boys make decisions for themselves."

"I didn't stop 'em! They could've left like Race!" Jack argued.

"If they had connections in Brooklyn like Race does, then they might've, but that's not the point!"

"Then what is?"

"They look up to you Jack! They don't want to go against you! They'll do what you say, but they need to start acting on their own. You're not going to be there forever."

"I'd like to," Jack mumbled.

"I know," Katherine reached out and took his hand.

"I hate it when theyse in danger. Especially when I can stop it."

"But you can't. Do you really think that Hook will leave you alone because you didn't fight? He's going to come over here and beat you guys! And no one will help you, because you didn't help them."

"Who put you up to this?" Jack asked.

"Up to what?"

"Trying to change my mind."

"No one!" Katherine said.

"Really?"

"Fine," she sighed. "Crutchie did."

"Of course," Jack chuckled, shaking his head.

"But I agree Jack! I think that backing out was a stupid choice! I know you, and I know that if you really want to, you can end all of this!"

"I don't know Kath."

"Well I do."

"No-"

"Don't argue with me Jack. Just get over to Brooklyn and tell Spot that you're supporting him."

"It ain't that easy, theyse already lost! And even if there was still a chance, another boy could get hurt! I don't know if I can take that chance!

Katherine pursed her lips. "At least think about it."

"Sure, I can do that. But I ain't makin' any promises."

***

Crutchie had heard from Katherine that Jack was considering rejoining the turf war, and the boy seemed to be staying true to his word.

He'd been awfully quiet, mostly keeping to himself, something he did when making big decisions. Crutchie readjusted the bag on his shoulder as he stood in line for his papers. He really hoped Jack would change his mind. That was the only way to put the whole mess to rest.

"Good mornin', Mr. Wiesel," Crutchie greeted politely as he gave the balding man his money.

"Mornin' Crutchie," the man greeted with a small smile.

Oscar shot Crutchie a nasty look as he shoved the papers toward him, one that the boy ignored. He was about to move on when a familiar voice spoke up behind him.

"I'll take fifty papes."

"Davey?" Crutchie whirled around as fast as he could with his leg, and grinned.

"Don't forget about me!" Les said indignantly.

"Of course not! Hiya Les!"

Les grinned back. "We're back! Didja miss us?"

"Loads," Albert drawled, pushing around the Jacobs' to get his own papers.

"Don't you mind him!" Elmer laughed. "He's just in a bad mood! Wese plenty glad to see ya back!"

Les followed Elmer away, excitedly telling the older boy about losing another tooth, and Davey looked at Crutchie nervously.

"How mad are they?"

"They ain't."

"What about Jack?"

"Actually, I don't think he is either. He understands now. He dropped out of the fight with Brooklyn about a week ago."

"Really? What'd Spot do?"

Crutchie shrugged. "Threatened 'im a bit. Then he left."

"Les and I missed you guys," Davey said softly. "I don't think I've ever seen him cry so much."

"Snipes wouldn't stop talkin' about him! Every time he and Tommy played a game he was saying something about Les."

"You're all really good friends, y'know that?" Davey smiles.

"We try to be!"

Davey dropped his papers into his bag and called Les over. All of the boys started heading to the street.

"Hey, Davey!" Crutchie called.

"Yeah?" Davey asked over his shoulder.

"It nice to have youse back!"

"It's nice to be back," Davey mumbled.

***

Okay, I know that this was really crappy, but I've had such bad writer's block!!!! Luckily from here on it should be smooth sailing for me, so no more awkward, poorly written chapters from me.... hopefully.

Anyway, thanks for all your continued support and really just being awesome!

-Anna

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

357K 13.7K 32
Summary || Plot "I was warned about boys like you." Folding her arms Moenice was getting hot under the stare of Theo's beautiful brown eyes. "Oh y...
18K 599 26
It's been over a year since the strike has settled and the newsies haven't had any problems with Pulitzer since. But that's not to say that they didn...
192K 4.9K 42
the coughing in the middle of the night had scared you enough, but here she was in broad daylight, practically dying. after your mother falls ill, y...
17.3K 612 55
Welcome to The World Highschool. This is in the POV of mostly Crutchie, Jack, and Davey. Watch as they struggle though highschool and all its challen...