Ursula's Beginning

By RachelShubert

2018 Wattys winner and Belle Ame Award winner in the Fan Fiction category. Reached #1 in thelittlemermaid, ba... More

Pt. I--1. Talent that I always have possessed
2. But there's something about her
3. They come flocking to my cauldron
4. Looks like the boy's too shy
5. One might question your upbringing
6. Now's your moment
7. Mysterious fathoms below
Pt. II--8. You dream about going up there
9. He's quite a catch, isn't he?
10. Working out according to my ultimate design
11. Treasures Untold
11. Treasures Untold (continued)
12. The importance of body language
13. We musn't lurk in doorways
13. We musn't lurk in doorways (continued)
14. It's she who holds her tongue who gets her man
14. It's she who holds her tongue who gets her man (continued)
15. You can't get something for nothing, you know
16. My dear, I'll look divine
17. Yes, you want her (look at her, you know you do)
18. Horatio Thelonious Ignacious Crustaceous Sebastian
19. Just a token really, a trifle
19. Just a token really, a trifle (continued)
20. Look at this stuff--isn't it neat?
20. Look at this stuff--isn't it neat? (continued)
21. Headstrong, lovesick girl
21. Headstrong, lovesick girl (continued)
22. I fortunately know a little magic
22. I fortunately know a little magic (continued)
23. Look at this trove
23. Look at this trove (continued)
24. I'm afraid I had to rake 'em 'cross the coals
24. I'm afraid I had to rake 'em 'cross the coals (continued)
Pt. III--25. I don't know when, I don't know how
25. I don't know when, I don't know how (continued)
26. But I know something's starting right now
26. But I know something's starting right now (continued)
27. I want more
28. What would I give to live where you are
Author's note
29. Fantastical Feasts
30. When I lived in the palace
30. When I lived in the palace (continued)
31. Dote and swoon and fawn
32. So much for true love
32. So much for true love (continued)
33. A Tale of the Bottomless Blue
33. A tale of the bottomless blue (continued)
34. Miserable, Lonely, and Depressed
Pt. IV--35. Repented, Seen the Light, and Made a Switch
35. Repented, Seen the Light, and Made a Switch (continued)
36. Sure, she's got everything
37. She has a very serious problem
38. Sure I've had the odd complaint
39. Soon I'll have that little mermaid
40. And the ocean will be mine
A note from the author

12. The importance of body language (continued)

894 83 43
By RachelShubert

Ursula obeyed at once. Her surroundings ceased to interest her; Siddikah's voice was nothing like she had imagined it would be and she had to see the face to which that voice belonged. She threw herself into the gaping maw of the extinct monster.

Siddikah met her near the entrance and smiled as if greeting an old friend. Ursula slipped her hood down and bowed quickly in deference, then looked up at the Squid Witch like a wide-eyed child. She was of advanced age, yet still exquisite: lean, tall, and commanding. She had fine, high cheekbones and a delicately-lined face. Siddikah's eyes were a singular shade of reddish brown. Mahogany hair tumbled past her prominent collarbone and covered her small, bare breasts. Her arms were compact ribbons of muscle and beneath her tiny belly stemmed ten maroon limbs, two noticeably longer than the others.

Siddikah laughed. It was a tinkling, silver sound. "Take off your cape so I can see you too. It's only fair, child." Ursula did so wordlessly. "Now spin around."

Ursula meekly swiveled three hundred and sixty degrees, her shoulders collapsing forward.

"Aren't you a pretty plum? Stand up straight now. What's your name, plum?"

"Ursula."

"Hmm, yes. I believe I've heard of you a time or two. Ursula of Atlantica. A healer, no?"

Ursula nodded, flabbergasted. "I've heard about you all my life," she gushed. "What's a plum?"

Siddikah released more crystalline notes of laughter. "Oh, never mind that. Why are you here, Ursula?"

"I've heard you do Transformations, and I'll probably need one soon."

"Indeed I do. What exactly are you seeking, and why?"

"To become a mermaid so I can be compatible with the one I love."

"Your quarry is a merman?"

"Yes."

"Ursula, how old are you?"

"Eighteen."

Siddikah meandered away from the entrance and Ursula followed her. "Given your age and line of work, one would presume you didn't need a lecture about the basics of anatomy. You and your merman are plenty compatible. Reproduction is out of the question, of course, but any amorous activity you can dream up will work out just fine."

Is she toying with me? Ursula wondered. "Of course I know that! I happen to be in love with a prince. And we likely can't be together the way we want to be if I remain a cecaelia."

Siddikah's face hardened. "Which one of the Atlantican princes do you fancy?" she demanded.

"You know about them?" Ursula was astonished.

"Of course I do! I've got eyes and ears in all sorts of places. I keep up with things."

"Prince Triton. I more than 'fancy' him."

"Ahh, the youngest." Siddikah relaxed. "Very good. But damselfish, have you really thought this through? How long have you known him? And are you certain he feels the same about you?"

"I've not known him long at all, but we feel strongly about each other. He's even hesitating to aim for the throne because of how it'll thrust him into the public eye and complicate our—"

"Aim for the throne?! What's this about?" Siddikah interjected.

She listened eagerly as Ursula told her all about Nepp's last wish and the Protocol. Crazily enough, she trusted the witch, and she had a feeling Siddikah would find out sooner or later anyway.

"I want to show Triton that we can be together even if he's king, and that the relationship can be public. He can have it all. He doesn't have to choose."

"What about you?" Siddikah exclaimed. "Don't you want to have it all?"

"What do you mean?" Ursula asked.

"Don't you want to have your prince and your glorious tentacles too? You'd really want to give up these beauties?" She took one in hand and studied its underside, tracing a few purple moons with the tip of a pinkie. "Don't you enjoy your healing work in the temple?" she asked with a quizzical expression.

"Oh, I adore my work. But my love for Triton is all-encompassing, and I'm sure I'd find satisfaction in helping him just the same. I'd be quite busy as queen, with plenty of work to do. No doubt about it."

Siddikah wrinkled her nose. "How long did you say you've been acquainted?"

"It's going on two weeks now."

"Oh, minnow, you're killing me!" Siddikah moaned. "This is all a ruse, isn't it? You've come here to kill poor old Siddikah, and you're doing it right now!" The sorceress flung herself dramatically across a nest of pillows that sat in the basin of an enormous, upturned turtle shell.

Ursula scoffed. "I assure you I am perfectly serious."

Siddikah swung her forearm over her eyes, and Ursula found the ensuing silence humiliating.

"Are you going to help me, or not?" she sniffed.

"Have you ever had feelings of this kind for anyone before?" Siddikah's voice was muffled, as she was now covering her entire face with both hands.

"No. That's how I know this is special," Ursula answered earnestly.

The older cecaelia propped herself up on two sharp elbows and looked into Ursula's despairing violet eyes. She sighed in resignation. She was going to take pity upon the heartsick girl.

"I can help you. But let's be clear about something. When you've known someone less than two weeks, it's called infatuation. Say it with me now. In-fat-you-ay-shun."

Ursula glared at her.

"There, there, inkpot. Don't be like that."

"I don't ink—"

"Focus, please!" Siddikah snapped her fingers rapidly. "Focus. So this is what I know about these things. The quickest way to get over an infatuation is to have your fantasy collide with reality. So let's make that collision happen."

"You mean..." Ursula's eyes were brightening.

"Yes, I can turn you into a mermaid."

Ursula squealed and pummeled the floor with her tentacles.

"But not today."

"That's alright!" Ursula panted. "It doesn't need to be today. I just wanted to know I have the option."

"It's good to hear you have some sense left. But I'm not finished."

"Please, go on." Ursula was fairly hopping with excitement.

"I'll only change you on a temporary basis for now. Let's do some trial swims first, shall we?"

"Okay."

"You'll need to keep this a secret. Only Triton should see you. Besides myself, only the two of you should know about it."

"Makes sense."

Siddikah pinched the bridge of her nose. "The transformation is going to hurt, Ursula," she continued through clenched teeth. "Changing for someone else is very painful. I guarantee you haven't experienced pain like this before."

"It will be worth it."

Siddikah was getting frustrated with her visitor's flippant answers. "Ursula, I want you to think this over carefully! Let this part really sink in, if you please. Temporary transformations make one vulnerable. It doesn't matter if you're changing from one species to another, or becoming gargantuan, or shrinking down to a minuscule size, or whatever. All such transformations warp other kinds of magic in unpredictable ways. Don't assume your healing magic will behave the same way when there's a transformation spell in the mix."

"Oh, said Ursula, finally showing a speck of uncertainty. "I'm an expert at protective magic too, so—"

"Protection spells perform erratically under these circumstances as well," said Siddikah severely. "You know nothing of the dark arts, angelfish. And that renders your knowledge of the healing and protective arts incomplete, for you do not understand how they interact with other forces."

"I can learn...I'm a quick study," Ursula said in a pleading tone.

"No doubt you're a clever thing, but this isn't something that's learned quickly. There are so many variables to consider."

Ursula was chastened at last. "I understand," she mumbled. "And I suppose you can't weave a protection around me that will work well with the Transformation?"

Siddikah shook her head. "I can't perform dark and light magic simultaneously for someone else. I understand how they interact, but I can't do that for you. Your peers at the temple can't either." Ursula gasped at this revelation and Siddikah couldn't suppress her amusement. "Did you assume they don't know any dark magic? Some of them surely know quite a bit, but one has to choose which services they are going to offer to others. You can't offer both, plummy. Not in the same time frame, anyway. C'mere." Siddikah patted a pillow beside her. Ursula collapsed onto it, dejected.

"Do you have familiars?" the Squid Witch inquired.

"I don't understand the question," Ursula grumbled.

"Do you have spirit animals? A special animal companion? A pet, even?"

"No."

"Are there any animals you feel drawn to?"

"Not particularly. I pretty much love them all."

"Pretty much?" Siddikah chuckled. Are there any you dislike? Any you are scared of? Any you dream about?"

"Eels," Ursula replied flatly.

"How interesting."

Ursula laughed bitterly. "Don't tell me I need to get a pet eel."

"It doesn't have to be an eel, no. But a pet can provide some protection if you train it correctly." Consider doing that before you undertake a transformation. Just remember...sometimes the pet chooses you, and not the other way around." Siddikah smiled mysteriously.

"Uh, sure," said Ursula vaguely. She was recalling the piranhas and how useful they had been in the labyrinth with Alphon. Maybe she could befriend some bigger piranhas.

"Think it all over, sweet plum. And come visit me anytime you like."

Ursula was back home in just over an hour. She reassured herself that her mission had been a success. She could be a mermaid if she wanted or needed to be, and that was what mattered most. The bit about temporary transformations was a hiccup, but she was game. She could study a new branch of magic for a good cause—it's not like she planned to practice the dark arts herself—or mold an animal into a guardian. Whatever it took.

She fell asleep pondering what kind of pet she might acquire if the piranahas didn't work out, and dreamt all night about eels and a tax and attacks. But of course.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

178K 4.9K 34
I'll tell you a tale of the bottomless sea, and it's hay to the starboard, heave-ho. Lookout lass, a merman be waiting for you. In mysterious fathoms...
2.1K 136 45
There's one thing in the world that Arielle hates above all else. Humans. Eighty years ago, the human kingdom of Anjord destroyed the merfolk kingdo...
18.1K 722 13
A sellsword with a haunting past that follows her every day. Only a handful of people know about it. Every day, her life hangs in a thread. Can she h...
20K 1K 35
*Completed* He stares down into the princess's stormy grey eyes. He smiles at her, though on the inside; he wants to kill her right now and be over i...