๐’๐”๐๐’๐‡๐ˆ๐๐„! per...

By braekerofchains

๐‘บ๐‘ผ๐‘ต๐‘บ๐‘ฏ๐‘ฐ๐‘ต๐‘ฌ โ all right, Sunshine, brighten up โž โ I will hit you โž ... More

DISCLAMER
Introduction
spotify playlists
graphics!
PART ONE โ†’ the lightning thief
o. Prologue
i. The Minotaur
ii. Percy Jackson
iii. Light's Kin
iv. Capture The Flag
v. A War Of The Gods
vi. Fury On A Greyhound
vii. Red Baron
viii. Mother Dearest
x. The Fall
A/N
xi. The Tunnel Of Love
xii. Lotus Casino
xiii. A-Tisket, A-Tasket
xiv. Dead On Arrival
xv. The Truth
xvi . The Sea Does Not Bow
xvii. Family, Luke
PART TWO โ†’ the sea of monsters
10K??
xviii. Haunting Of The Past
xix . Chariot Of Damnation
xx . Tantalus
[ sobbing ]
xxi . Claire Moore
Q/A??
ANSWERS
xxii . Jason And The Argonauts
xxiii . Run Boy, Run
xxiv . Family, Luke
xxv . Too Close To Home
xxvi . Not All Monster's Are Bad
xxvii . Circe's Island
DOOOODS
xxviii . Fatal Flaw
xxix . The Cyclops Den
xxx . The Golden Fleece
xxxi . The Light's Kin
Epilogue
SEQUEL!!
TRANSLATION!!

ix. Sonny The Chihuahua

21.4K 847 707
By braekerofchains

╔═══════════════╗

chapter ix.
( the lightning thief )
❝ sonny the chihuahua ❞

╚═══════════════╝

i reuploaded this so many times cause i can't spell chihuahua oop

TOWARDS THE END OF OUR SECOND DAY ON THE TRAIN, June 13, eight days before the summer solstice, we passed through some golden hills and over the Mississippi River into St Louis. Annabeth craned her neck to see the Gateway Arch, which looked like a humongous handle of a handbag.

"I want to do that," she sighed, her eyes wide in amazement.

"What?" Percy asked.

"Build something like that. You ever see the Parthenon, Percy?"

"Only in pictures."

"Someday, I'm going to go see it in person. I'm going to build the greatest monument to the gods ever. Something that'll last a thousand years."

Percy let out a laugh. "You? An architect?"

I frowned at Percy, before smacking his shoulder. "Be nice, Barnacle Boy."

Annabeth's cheeks flushed. "Yes, an architect. Athena expects her children to create things, not just tear them down, like a certain god of earthquakes I could mention."

Percy's eyes dulled and he watched the churning brown water of the Mississipi below, and Annabeth instantly knew her mistake and bit her lip.

"Sorry," she said. "That was mean."

"It's okay," Percy said. "Why don't we work together? I mean, didn't Athena and Poseidon ever cooperate?"

"Well ..." I shrugged, "there was the chariot." Annabeth looked to me, and I shrunk down in my seat. "Pushing in? Sorry."

Annabeth rolled her eyes good-heartedly. "My mom invented it, but Poseidon created horses out of the crests of waves. So they had to work together to make it complete."

"Then we can cooperate, too. Right?"

We rode into the city, Annabeth watching as the Arch disappeared behind a hotel. "I suppose," she whispered.

I watched it too, and I smiled at how the sun gleamed on the tip. "Annabeth, I wanna join you in seeing the Parthenon."

She glanced at me and sent me a smile, in which I returned.

Percy then leaned back beside me, his green eyes staring at me. I arched a brow at him. "What?"

He shrugged. "I was just wondering whether we could, you know, work together too? I'm pretty sure Apollo and Poseidon don't have such a bad relationship with each other like Athena."

I raised both my brows this time, trying to stop the smile that was itching at the corner of my lips. I was still angry with Percy, but after our talk last night, I had kind of forgiven him. Maybe it was my fault that the both of us were arguing. I hadn't given him a chance.

"How about you save the world first, then we'll see, Seaweed Brain."

An amused grin tugged on Percy's face. "Seaweed Brain?" He nearly laughed. "How many nicknames do you have for me, Miss Sunshine?"

I grinned. "Oh, I have many."

We pulled into the Amtrak station downtown. The intercom told us we'd have a three-hour stopover before departing for Denver.

Grover stretched. Before he was even fully awake, he said, "Food."

"Come on, goat boy," Annabeth said. "Sightseeing."

"Sightseeing?"

"The Gateway Arch," she said. "This may be my only chance to ride to the top. Are you coming or not?" She linked her arm through mine, and I knew I had no choice in the matter. Grover and Percy exchanged looks.

Grover shrugged. "As long as there's a snack bar without monsters."

><><><

The Gateway Arch was about a mile from the train station. Late in the day the lines to get in weren't that long, which was good for me since I could become very impatient when it came to lining up for things. We threaded our way through the underground museum, looking at covered wagons and other historical artefacts from the 1800s. Now, I'm gonna say this now, as a child of Apollo, I'm no fan of underground places. Where there is no sunlight, I always feel slightly drained. Every step lower underground, my powers lessen, and it takes a lot more work and energy to get them to work.

Annabeth bounced around excitedly, explaining to us every single artefact that was one display with bright eyes. She looked like she was in her element, which she probably was. She kept on telling us interesting facts about how the Arch was built, and Percy and Grover would keep passing me jelly beans.

But I had a feeling something wasn't right. I wasn't sure whether it was the lack of sunlight or my demigod senses, but my fingers were itching towards my necklace. Percy seemed to be also agitated. He kept looking around at the other people in the line. "You smell anything?" He murmured to Grover.

He took his nose out of the jelly bean bag long enough to sniff. "Underground," he said distastefully. "Underground air always smells like monsters. Probably doesn't mean anything."

Percy wasn't reassured. "Guys," he said. "You know the gods' symbols of power?"

Annabeth had been in the middle of reading about the construction equipment used to build the Arch, but she looked over. "Yeah?"

"Well, Hades –"

I cleared my throat. "We're in a public place ... you mean, our friend downstairs?"

"Um, right," Percy said. "Our friend way downstairs. Doesn't he have a hat like Annabeth's?"

"You mean the Helm of Darkness," Annabeth said. "Yeah, that's his symbol of power. I saw it next to his seat during the winter solstice Council meeting."

"He was there?" Percy frowned.

I nodded. "It's the only time he's allowed to visit Olympus – the darkest day of the year. But his helmet is a lot more powerful than Annabeth's invisibility cap, if what I've heard to be true ..."

"It allows him to become darkness," Grover confirmed. "He can melt into shadow or pass through walls. He can't be touched, or seen, or heard. And he can radiate fear so intense that it can drive you insane or stop your heart. Why do you think all rational creatures fear the dark?"

"But then ... how do we know he's not here right now, watching us?"

I pursed my lips, exchanging a look with Annabeth and Grover.

"We don't," Grover said.

"Thanks, that makes me feel a lot better," Percy said. "Got any blue jelly beans left?"

We got shoehorned into the elevator car to ride to the top of the Arch with this large lady and her dog, a Chihuahua with a rhinestone collar. I wondered how it was allowed inside without the guards saying anything. I glanced to Percy, who eyed the small space that was left, his face pale.

"You right?" I asked him, and he nodded.

"Yeah ... I just hate confined spaces." He said and I nodded, patting his shoulder in hope to give at least some comfort. It seemed a bit awkward. I may be the daughter of the God who cured illnesses but I wasn't exactly the best person in these situations, I didn't know what to do.

We started going up inside the Arch. I had never been in an elevator that went in a curve, and I had to hold onto the bars to ease my queasy stomach.

"No parents?" The lady asked us.

She had beady eyes; pointy, coffee-stained teeth; a floppy denim hat, and a denim dress that bulged so much she looked like a blue-jean blimp.

"They're below," Annabeth told her. "Scared of heights."

"Oh, the poor darlings."

The Chihuahua growled, and I remembered what Hannah had said that she hated them because they reminded her of rats. The woman said, "Now, now, sonny. Behave." The dog had beady eyes like its owner, intelligent and vicious.

"Sonny. Is that his name?" Percy said.

"No," the lady told him, smiling, as though that cleared everything up. I glanced at Annabeth, unsure of what to make of the woman.

At the top of the Arch, the observation deck looked like a tin can with carpeting. Rows of tiny windows looked out over the city on one side and the river on the other. I smiled at the view, walking over to the windows and placing my hands on the glass. Percy wouldn't dare look at the windows, and I tried to hide my amused smile. He looked like he wanted to go and puke really quick.

Annabeth kept talking about structural supports, and how she would've made the windows bigger, and designed a see-through floor. But I wasn't really listening, my eyes were peeled on the city below us. Now that I was in the sunlight, I could feel myself growing better. My queasiness disappeared and I swore my hands glowed a little. Together, me and Annabeth probably could've stayed up here for hours, but the park ranger announced that the observation deck would be closing in a few minutes.

Percy wasted no time in steering Grover and Annabeth towards the exit, and I rolled my eyes before following behind him. He loaded them into the elevator and we were about to follow when I realized there were already two other tourists inside. No room for us.

The park ranger said, "Next car, kids."

"We'll get out," Annabeth said. "We'll wait with you."

I shrugged, I didn't care how long it took. I wanted to stay up here longer. Just being on the observation deck and seeing the world below me made me feel like I was just a regular mortal without this huge quest on my shoulders. Percy shook his head at them.

"Naw, it's okay. We'll see you guys at the bottom."

Grover and Annabeth both looked nervous, but they let the elevator door slide shut. Their car disappeared down the ramp.

I turned to Percy and took a deep breath, letting all the air out from my mouth. "Well," was all I said, rocking back and forth on the balls of my feet. Percy gave a small, quick smile, his hands in his pockets awkwardly.

Now the only people left on the observation deck were us, a little boy with his parents, the park ranger and the fat lady with her Chihuahua. I gave an uneasy smile at the lady. She smiled back, her forked tongue flickering between her teeth.

Wait. Hang on. Forked tongue?

I stepped back, grabbing Percy's hand without realising. "Percy," I whispered, my eyes wide. He nodded, telling me he saw it too. As we did so, her Chihuahua jumped down and started yapping at us.

"Now, now, sonny," the lady said. "Does this look like a good time? We have all these nice people here."

"Doggie!" said the little boy. "Look, a doggie!"

His parents pulled him back.

The Chihuahua bared its teeth at us, foam dripping from his black lips.

"Well, son," the fat lady sighed. "If you insist."

My stomach twisted, my grip on Percy's hand tightened. Percy let out a few, shaken words. "Um, did you just call that Chihuahua your son?"

"Chimera, dear," the lady corrected. "Not a Chihuahua. It's an easy mistake to make."

My eyes widened as she rolled up her denim sleeves, revealing scaly green skin. She smiled, and I saw sharp fangs instead of teeth. The pupils of her eyes were sideways slits, like a reptile's.

"Oh my gods," I could just whimper.

The Chihuahua barked even louder, and with each bark, it grew. First to the size of a Dobermann, then to a lion. The bark became a roar.

The little boy screamed. His parents pulled him back towards the exit, straight into the park ranger, who stood, paralysed, gaping at the monster.

The Chimera was now so tall its back rubbed against the roof. It had the head of a lion with a blood-caked mane, the body and hooves of a giant goat, and a serpent for a tail, a three-metre-long diamondback growing right out of its behind. The rhinestone dog collar still hung around its neck, and the plate-sized dog tag was now easy to read: CHIMERA – RABID, FIRE-BREATHING, POISONOUS – IF FOUND, PLEASE CALL TARTARUS – EXT. 954.

I realised I hadn't even taken my necklace and turned it into my bow. My hands were numb and wouldn't move. And even if I could move them, Percy and I were three metres away from the Chimera's bloody maw, and as soon as I moved, the creature would lunge.

I closed my eyes, licking my lips and pursed them. I hoped this was all a dream, and I would wake up back on the train. But it wasn't. The Chimera was one of the monsters of the stories that scared me the most. Just under Python, the snake my father defeated and killed. Even so, because of that tale, I was terrified of snakes. Every child of Apollo was, as Python declared to have revenge on him, and hence snakes naturally targeted children of Apollo. I remembered when I was ten, and the Hermes cabin planted a fake snake in cabin seven ... let's just say ... our screams could be heard from miles away.

I eyed the serpent tail, taking deep breaths. I couldn't let my phobia get in the way of surviving. But it was hard, especially when it's beady eyes stared at me, blazing with anger.

"Ah, yes, of course, the child of Apollo," the lady hissed with laughter. "Scared of snakes, obviously. All children of Apollo are, aren't they?"

I clenched my free hand while my other hand gripped Percy's so hard I was afraid I cut off the circulation to his fingers.

The snake lady turned to Percy. "Be honoured, Percy Jackson. Lord Zeus rarely allows me to test a hero with one of my brood. For I am the Mother of Monsters, the terrible Echinda!"

Knowing Percy, he decided to do something idiotic, and said, "Isn't that a kind of anteater?"

She howled, her reptilian face turning brown and green with rage. "I hate it when people say that! I hate Australia! Naming that ridiculous animal after me. For that, Percy Jackson, my son shall destroy you and your friend!"

The Chimera charged, its lion teeth gnashing. I couldn't move. I was paralysed just like the park ranger. I was lucky that Percy pulled me along with him as he leapt aside and dodged the bite. We ended up next to the family and the park ranger, who were all screaming now, trying to open the emergency exit doors.

That brought me to my senses. I couldn't let them get hurt. I yanked off my necklace and it transformed into my bow. I notched an arrow. Percy uncapped Riptide. He ran to the other side of the deck, and I went the opposite.

He yelled, "Hey, Chihuahua!"

The Chimera turned faster than I would've thought possible.

Before he could swing his sword, it opened its mouth, and I could just scream Percy's name when a column of flame flew straight at him.

He dived to the side. The carpet burst into flames; the heat was so intense, I could feel it from where I stood. Where Percy had been standing a moment before was now a ragged hole in the side of the Arch, with melted metal around the edges.

I growled and let my arrow loose. It hit the Chimera's neck, but I frowned when it bounced off, skidding across the ground and off the ledge.

The beast turned to me, and I was so shocked that I didn't realise the snake tail, that swiped towards me and knocked me off my feet.

I screamed as I flew in the air and landed with a loud thud against the floor. I felt the wind knocked out of me and I slid towards the opening where the melting metal covered the ground. I couldn't say anything as I touched the white hot metal. Percy called my name and went to rush over to me, but something was off.

The metal didn't hurt, not even sting. The most pain I got was a tickling sensation wherever it touched. And that was when I realised my body was glowing a yellow light. It was either my powers or my dad, or both. Either way, I was thankful as I took hold of a metal rod that stuck out.

I refused to look down at the two hundred feet fall below me. My feet dangled below me, and I had lost my bow on the deck. It was a few feet away, slightly steaming. I don't know how I held on with the wind raging against my body, but I kept a strong grip, tightening my fingers around the rod.

But I had bigger problems. My shoulder felt like it was on fire, and I realised that the serpent tail must have sunk its teeth into my shoulder and poisoned me.

Stupid snake.

I could feel the venom slowly travelling from my arm and through my system. I didn't have much time, and the pain made it hard to hold on to the small bit of metal that was saving my life. My bow was gone, and I had left Percy alone up there.

Speaking of Percy. He lashed out at the Chimera in anger with Riptide, which clanged off its skin helplessly before he dashed to the side, dodging the flailing serpent tail. He rushed towards my bow and it shrunk into my key at the touch of his hand. He glanced back at me and slipped it over his neck so he wouldn't lose it.

This boy deserves a medal.

But that was when I saw the snake tail, and my eyes widened when I saw it near Percy.

"Percy! Watch out!"

He turned around just as the tail whipped around and sank its fangs into his calf. I cried out again when he tried to jab the Chimera's mouth with Riptide, but the serpent tail wrapped around his ankles and pulled him off balance, and his blade flew from his hands, spinning over my head and out of the hole in the Arch and down towards the Mississippi River.

I could feel my vision going hazy from the venom, but I fought it, keeping hold of the Arch with all my might. I tried to pull myself up, but my shoulder ached so much it nearly made me loose my grip and tumble down.

Percy managed to get to his feet, but it was no use. We had lost. Both of us were weaponless, both are poisoned. I was hanging for dear life. Percy backed into the hole in front of me. The snake lady, Echidna, cackled. "They don't make heroes like they used to, eh, son?"

The monster growled. It seemed in no hurry to finish us off now that we were beaten. I wondered how the mortals were. I couldn't see them from where I was, but I could tell they were terrified. I saw Percy glance back at me, and I knew I couldn't hold on for much longer. The wind was pushing me sideways, making me cry out in pain from my shoulder, and now my whole body. It would be so much easier to just let go, to just fall to my death. I could feel my fingers slipping, and Percy could tell I couldn't continue much longer. But his eyes told me, hold on, and I replied, I am trying!

"You are the son of Poseidon," Echidna hissed, "you would not fear water. Jump, Percy Jackson. Show me that water will not harm you. Jump and retrieve your sword. Prove your bloodline. Of course, either way, you won't be able to save your little friend."

Percy glanced back at me for a second, his eyes were hesitant. I hope my eyes pleaded him to jump and just leave me, I was going to die anyway. Even if he survived the fall with me, the water wouldn't heal me as it does him, Echidna was right, I was doomed.

"You have no faith," Echidna told him. "You do not trust the gods. I cannot blame you, little coward. Better you die now. The gods are faithless. The poison is in your heart."

Percy kept on glancing back at me and stepping closer to the edge. He was still hesitant. Echidna let out a raspy laugh. "Die, faithless one."

I couldn't hold on for any longer. My arms felt like they were going to rip from my socket. My fingers slipped and I fell. A scream tore from my throat, the wind rushed through my hair and beat against my thin jumper. I screamed so much my throat began to hurt. I closed my eyes, refusing to look at the ground below me, where I would fall and die.

But that was when I felt someone take hold of my waist, and hold onto me tightly, burying their head into my shoulder. The familiar smell of sea salt told me it was Percy.

I let out a whimper, but my screaming stopped. I wrapped my arms around him, gripping his jacket in my fists. And together, we plummeted towards the river.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

44.8K 1.1K 44
get me with those green eyes as the lights go down gimme something that'll haunt me when you're not around cause i see sparks fly whenever you sm...
178K 7.1K 63
he is half of my soul, as the poet says. ยฉ punkjosten 011/027/22 the lightning thief - the last olympian percy jackson / masc!oc
972K 56.6K 115
in which an orphan learns she isn't really an orphan, and naomi must face the fact that she's descended from gods she never thought existed, and the...
12.5K 431 17
๐€๐ฅ๐จ๐ง๐  ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐ง๐จ๐ซ๐ญ๐ก ๐ฌ๐ก๐จ๐ซ๐ž ๐จ๐Ÿ ๐‹๐จ๐ง๐  ๐ˆ๐ฌ๐ฅ๐š๐ง๐ ๐ญ๐ก๐ž๐ซ๐ž ๐ข๐ฌ ๐š ๐ ๐ข๐ซ๐ฅ ๐ฐ๐ก๐จ ๐›๐ž๐ฅ๐ข๐ž๐ฏ๐ž๐ฌ ๐ฌ๐ก๐ž ๐ข๐ฌ ๐๐ข๐Ÿ๐Ÿ๐œ๐ฎ๐ฅ๐ญ ๏ฟฝ...