Love Bites

By vjknight15

#20 in Vampire 25/2/18 A VAMPIRE ROMANCE "Promise me, Alsa. Promise me right now that you will always love me... More

WARNING
LOVE BITES Chapter 1 : Dreaming a Memory
LOVE BITES Chapter 2 : The Truth of Reality
LOVE BITES Chapter 3 : Tired after Sleep
LOVE BITES Chapter 4 : Permission for Adulthood
LOVE BITES Chapter 5 : Rescuing a Temptation
LOVE BITES Chapter 6 : Love Bites
LOVE BITES Chapter 7 : Culprits
LOVE BITES Chapter 8 : Simple Little Moments
LOVE BITES Chapter 9 : Sparks of Happiness
LOVE BITES Chapter 10 : Dull Past
LOVE BITES Chapter 11 : Walking Back Home
LOVE BITES Chapter 12 : Too Sweet
LOVE BITES Chapter 13 : Tasting Red Part 1
LOVE BITES Chapter 13 : Tasting Red Part 2
LOVE BITES Chapter 14: Distance
LOVE BITES Chapter 15 : Shattered Reflections
LOVE BITES Chapter 16 : Unraveling Minds
LOVE BITES Chapter 17 : Human Eye
LOVE BITES Chapter 18 : The Conjuring Room
LOVE BITES Chapter 19 : The Wage Of Fear
LOVE BITES Chapter 20 : Bite Me
LOVE BITES Chapter 21 : Unselfish Actions
LOVE BITES Chapter 22 : Drunk in Love
LOVE BITES Chapter 23 : Confessions
LOVE BITES Chapter 24 : Guilty Conscience
LOVE BITES Chapter 25 : Throwing Words
LOVE BITES Chapter 26 : Game On
LOVE BITES Chapter 28 : The Beast Within
LOVE BITES Chapter 29 : The Hunt Begins
LOVE BITES Chapter 30 : Reversion
LOVE BITES Chapter 31 : Crystal Skies
LOVE BITES Chapter 32 : Antics
LOVE BITES Chapter 33 : The Mortal and Immortal Side of the Heart
LOVE BITES Chapter 34 : Shades
LOVE BITES Chapter 35 : Seduction
LOVE BITES Chapter 36 : Adoration
LOVE BITES Chapter 37 : Human and Vampire Part 1
LOVE BITES Chapter 37 : Human and Vampire Part 2
LOVE BITES Chapter 38 : The Vampire Talks
LOVE BITES Chapter 39 : Paranoia
LOVE BITES Chapter 40 : The Happening
LOVE BITES Chapter 41 : Creatures of Darkness

LOVE BITES Chapter 27 : Walking The Puppy

2.4K 137 49
By vjknight15

Chapter 27 : Walking The Puppy

"What are you reading?" I asked Alastair, wrapping my arms around his neck as I lent over the top of the sofa where he was sitting.

He tilted his head back, ash mauve eyes meeting mine. Our faces were close and I pushed down the butterflies setting flight in my stomach. Instead I smiled and gently brushed my fingers across his forehead, moving the dark strands out of his eyes.

"What?" I laughed when he continued to just look at me.

"Nothing," he said quickly and returned to his book. "You wouldn't like this book. It centres around death and destruction."

I peered at the pages but the font was too tiny. "How... lovely."

He recognised the sarcasm in my voice and chuckled. "That was a joke. It's actually a pornographic novel."

I didn't really know how to respond, feeling slightly uncomfortable, and so all I managed out was a simple, "Oh?"

"That too was a joke," he mused, like he were holding in his laughter.

I rested my chin on his shoulder. "Your humour is dry, you know that?"

When he didn't respond, to neither my words nor the way my breasts were purposely pressed against his back as I lent over the sofa, I snatched the book out of his grasp and stepped back, teasing him with it.

I wasn't expecting it to be as old as it was, the book's paper cover brittle and torn. I read the text on the front and frowned. "Whose.... Ernest Hemingway?"

Alastair closed his eyes briefly, as if my question had caused him emotional pain.

"I hope you remembered your page number," I said as my finger accidentally slipped from between the pages and the book clamped shut.

He walked around the sofa, standing in front of me with his hand out. "Can I have my book back, Nikki?"

I jogged back, a smile lighting up my face and jiggled the book in front of me. "Because you didn't say please, you'll have to take it from me."

Of course, silly me forgot that Alastair could teleport. Before I could comprehend his actions, Alastair disappeared in a puff of black smoke only to reappear behind me. My back bumped into his chest, one hand on my shoulder and the other reaching over to take the book back.

I turned over my shoulder, meeting his cool gaze and smug smile. "Thanks."

"Extremely... unfair," I breathed, forgetting my words. I turned the rest of the way in his arms, facing him properly. His hand moved from my shoulder to my face where he tucked a lock of hair behind my ear.

I didn't realise I was rising on my toes, Alastair leaning in too, until a knock sounded at the front door. I hung my head, damning the person who interrupted us.

"Brianna?" Alastair titled his head in question.

"Try Zac," I said, walking around him and mumbling profanities under my breath. So close. "Bri always rings the bell, remember? Multiple times too."

"And what is he doing here?"

He knocked again. "Didn't I mention I was going out with Zac today?"

Alastair leant back on the wall, arms crossed over his chest. "No, it seems you forgot to mention this endeavour. And you're going out like that?" His eyes assessed my attire.

I briefly looked down, frowning as I brought my stare back to his. "It's a camisole, Alastair, everyone wears these. It's not like I'm walking around in my underwear."

"It's thin and shows too much skin. Take it off," he ordered, but then just as quickly added in a softer tone, "and change into something else."

"Alastair..." I groaned, disregarding his order as I made my way into the foyer. "I'm not changing. You're going to have to put up with it." I swung open the door, meeting Zac's less than jovial face. "Why hello, dear Zachary."

"There's my favourite girl after the Kardashians," Zac cheered, pointing his fingers at me. He had pasted on a smile but it hardly touched his light blue eyes. Waltzing in without needing an invitation, he saluted to Alastair who regarded him with slight interest. "Sup, bro."

I rolled my eyes at his weirdness. "Give me a second to grab a jacket, Zac, and then we can go." I gave Alastair a look as I ran up the stairs. Happy now my dear Alastair?

When I came back down the stairs, Zac was rummaging through the kitchen cabinets, a packet of chips under his arms and his mouth stuffed full.

"He's eating what little food we have in this house," Alastair mumbled as I passed him.

I laughed, plunking down in the foyer and lacing on my boots. "You never eat anyway. I'll pick some more up on my way home."

"So, where are you two going?" Alastair asked conversationally, looking between the both of us. I knew him better to know this wasn't a backhanded question.

Alastair frowned as Zac answered with his mouth still full, chips spitting onto the floor. "Shopping for a graduation dress. Not for me, her. I've already got the golden garbage bag I intend to wear waiting eagerly for my hot body at home. Our high school life is almost over and we need to make sure we go out with a bang. Ya know?"

"'Ya know' you're going to have to pick those up?" Alastair remarked, regarding the crumbs on the floor.

Zac gave him a wide grin, his mouth still full. I both grimaced and chuckled in unison.

"So you-" Alastair pointed to Zac, "-are taking the girls shopping?" He raised a brow as if he didn't believe it. "You enjoy that?"

"It's only the two of us today," I said, "Bri is... busy."

In truth, I wasn't sure where Brianna was. All I knew was that she was away from school and barely answering my texts. I made a note to check in with her family soon to make sure everything was alright. After she walked out of school the other day, I thought the best thing she needed was space from everyone. I didn't exactly say the nicest things to her either. If anything, I cornered her.

"So the puppy's going for a walk this time?" Alastair quipped, folding an ankle over the other as he lent comfortably against the wall near us.

It took me a moment to realise his reference to what Brianna had said all those weeks ago. "No parties," I assured. "I've had enough of those to last me a life time."

"That's a long time," Alastair said, looking directly at me.

A silence stretched out between us where Alastair and I shared a silent conversation with only our eyes. He was right, it would be a long life. And he would be right there every step of the way.

The silence was broken by Zac's loud crunching as he came up behind me munching on the last of the chips. "Remind me what we're talking about again?"

"Nothing," I said hurriedly and grabbed his hand to pull him out of the house.

Just before I could leave, Alastair suddenly appeared at the door behind us. "Weren't you just..." Zac trailed off, pointing between the wall and where he now stood. Then, shaking his head he mumbled a 'never mind' and walked out onto the porch.

Alastair carefully lifted the sleeve of my grey sweatshirt and brought it over my shoulder where it had fallen partially down my arm. "I don't appreciate others seeing what is mine," he said softly, his voice a smooth whisper that made a shiver trickle down my spine and the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end. "Even your friend."

As we left the porch, Alastair closed the door behind us and all the while, Zac was watching us. I'm sure my face was tinged pink as I walked down the drive with him and we followed each other along the sidewalk to the town's mall.

"Have you always been that close to your brother or am I imagining things?" Zac commented after awhile, hands in his pockets. His light brown hair was messy today. The front had grown out and so he had combed it to the side. He was in bad need of a haircut.

I counted the coloured cars that we passed.  "I would like to think we're getting closer," I answered honestly, a smile finding its way onto my lips. Then I abruptly stopped. My eyes widened. To Zac, suddenly hearing me say something like that without knowing that Alastair and I had no relation to each other would give him the wrong impression. "No, wait. I didn't mean... it's a long story," I floundered. "Short version, Alastair and I aren't... you know..."

He met my gaze. "Related? Yeah, I guessed as much."

My mouth dropped open. "What? How would you know?"

"Well I wasn't one hundred percent sure, but I always doubted that you two were related. I mean, hello? Just look at your hair." He picked up my blonde and naturally straight hair, moving it over my shoulder as if to prove his point.

I stuffed my hands into the pocket of my sweatshirt. "And what if I said that when I was younger I too had black hair? Just like Alastair's?"

"Nikki, since the first day I met you in kindergarten, you have always had the strangest blondy-whitey hair."

I kicked a rock on the sidewalk but didn't say anything.

"You two have always been so different, like you both came from different eras," he continued. "That's my polite way of saying Alastair is an oldie," he joked, nudging my side playfully. "It's hard to describe, but I almost feel like you two were made for each other. You connect on a different level. You always have."

I turned to him with a thoughtful smile. "I think I get what you mean."

Alastair said himself that I was his mate, which he explained later to be what immortal beings call true love or, in other words, a soulmate. He said that unlike humans, unlike the man walking beside me that very moment, the feeling an immortal being has is everlasting because of their everlasting lifespan. And it seemed that even though I was turned human 13 years ago, I never lost that part of myself. My heart remained the same.

As I grew up with Alastair, the love I had for him matured. It was never sibling love, it was something much deeper than that because of my vampire half. I couldn't help but love him the way I did, but I also couldn't imagine my life without him in it.

Still, for Zac he probably thought the whole ordeal was crazy, sickening even. And he'd never know the truth unless I told him what we were. About how this world had another side to it, a darker one that fed off of the one he lived in.

I side-eyed Zac, staring at his neck that was thick with muscle from hours in the gym. Would I ever be comfortable drinking someone's blood? I'd starve if I didn't, but, I'd lived as a human for so long now that doing something like that seemed inhumane.

Then again, vampires weren't human. They were beasts. We were beasts. And the loveliest of them all.

Just then, the air around me shifted. My vision doubled, everything turning a dark blood red. My nose picked up a delicious scent and my blue eyes somehow scoured Zac's skin, gums tingling at the sight of the veins running within his neck. I watched Zac blink. Slow. But it wasn't just the way he blinked; everything about him had slowed incredibly.

Time had ceased normality.

Why did it feel so familiar?

But then, just like that, it was all over. Birds were singing around us like nothing had happened.

Almost immediately I began coughing as cold air rushed into my lungs, breaking my trance.

What the...?

Zac patted my back, hard. It didn't help at all. My stomach churned uncomfortably.

What the hell was that?

"I'm fine, I'm fine," I rasped out once I had gotten my coughing under control. "Sorry I just... choked on air."

"Is that the only thing you're choking on these days?" Zac asked, raising his brows suggestively. When I shot him a look, his grin turned into an innocent smile. "Too soon?"

My eyes flickered to his neck. Nothing. There was nothing there. It's all in your head, Nikki.

"Sorry, what were we talking about before? I blanked out." My head was a foggy mess, a light pain throbbing between my temples. I pushed it down, ignoring it.

"Your brother who isn't really your brother who you have always loved in a non-brotherly way," Zac explained in a rush. "Listen, are you sure you're okay?"

In panic, my eyes snapped from his neck to his light blue eyes. "Yep, yep. I'm good. Why wouldn't I be?" I ran my tongue over my teeth, testing for fangs. Of course there weren't any, I was just deluding myself.

"Nikki, if you're worried about me disapproving Alastair's and your relationship, you don't need to be."

That caught my attention. At his words, I gave him a doubtful look. I couldn't denying that a part of me wasn't worried about what others thought of me, because I was.

"Really?" I asked quietly. "But I grew up believing he was my brother, Zac. And I fell in love with him." Not that I could really help it that is...

Sighing, he wrapped a heavy arm around my shoulders. "Nikki, I am a man who gives love to all. Fucks sake, you two aren't related! Why feel guilty about falling for someone perfect for you? If anything I'm jealous. And honestly, I wouldn't have even cared if you two were in fact bro and sis. As long as my favourite girl is happy, I don't really care. And anyway, do you have any idea of the growing fan base for incest porn?"

I pushed his face away. "Please don't. I really don't want to know what you watch."

He threw his head back and laughed. This is why I loved Zac. He made me smile without having to say or do anything really. He didn't judge, he didn't give you those weird looks. He was just an amazing person. Brianna was damn well lucky to have someone looking at her the way Zac did.

When he had finished, wiping away a small tear trickling out the corner of his eye, he hugged me closer to his side and rubbed his hand up my arm comfortingly. Then absently he spoke, "You know, I think I had my arm around your shoulders just like this when we were wee little kids and Alastair pulled me aside and demanded I never get too close to you or I would live to regret it. Made me cry for weeks. He was terrifying."

I turned to him, my eyes wide with incredulous surprise. "He didn't."

He laughed again. "Well, I'm not ruling out the possibility that it could have been a nightmare, but I believed it. He didn't yell, he just spoke in this dangerously low voice that made him come across all the more threatening, you know? Must of been the reason why I went after the other friend."

We walked by a flower stall and I sneakily plucked off a single blue rose while the owners back was turned. Holding it under Zac's nose I gave him a soft smile. "Here. For the broken heart."

"Did Nikki Whitely just steal?" Zac gushed, covering his mouth dramatically.

I shrugged. "I call it forever borrowing."

Clicking his tongue Zac took the rose from me but I hissed in pain as soon as he did. One of its thorns pricked the pad of my index finger. Snatching my hand back, I found a bead of blood.

Squealing, Zac jumped to the side, dropping the blue rose between us and clapping a hand over his eyes.

"What?" I laughed, removing my bloodied finger from my mouth.

Zac peaked through his fingers. "Ewie! Nikki you know I can't stand the sight of blood!"

When I stepped closer to him he squealed again, backing against the fence. Laughing hysterically I managed to wheeze out, "Brianna's right, you really are a marshmallow."

He gagged, pushing me away. "I just have a weak stomach, alright?"

I shook my head, still laughing. "How would you ever make it as a vampire?"

"Well luckily for me they don't exist!" He shot back. Then he squealed again, jumping to the side like the floor was lava. "It's still fucking bleeding, Nikki! Quick, we'll run to the shops and get you a tampon!"

***

I walked out of the dressing room, standing in front of Zac in an ugly floral dress that swept across my ankles and ironically cost more than my branded shoes at home.

He pursed his lips. "Yeah girl, that's a definite no."

"I thought so too," I agreed. Picking up the frills around my shoulders, I laughed. "What even are these?"

We'd been roaming the mall for god knows how long, searching rack after rack for appropriate dresses. We were in the last store, and had been for quite some time, trying on almost all the dresses and still had nothing. Why did none of these suit me?

The shop assistant, a pretty girl with reddish brown hair and green eyes, strode over to us. We had come to learn her name was Chloe. She'd been actively helping me the entire time and had one of the friendliest smiles. It wasn't hard to work out that we were her favourite customers, or rather Zac was.

"Oh God no," she grimaced, slicing her neck with her hand, signalling that dress was a no go as well.

Sighing, I plunked down next to Zac in my floral and frilly dress. He had his arms out over the seat, legs open and taking up as much space on the wooden waiting seat as possible.

Unlike other guys, Zac didn't fall asleep or get annoyed with the countless hours we'd spent shopping so far. He didn't pull out a book either, like someone I knew.

"You know, people might think you're gay with how attentive you've been today," I chuckled, stretching my arms over my head. Shopping was exhausting. How did Brianna do it all the time?

Chloe came over to us, the big smile on her face faltering as she held up a long pink pastel dress. "You're gay?" She blurted.

Zac shot up in his seat, mocking suprise. "Am I?"

"He's not!" I reiterated, shooting him a glare. "You're not, Zac. But he is an idiot, just ask..." I paused. Chloe was nice and I'd actually enjoyed her company the entire time we'd been in this store. I knew it wasn't my job to try to fix relationships but maybe it was best to let Zac forget Brianna. Changing the subject, I pointed to the dress. "Shall I try that one? I just love the colour."

Zac shook his head. "Pink doesn't suit you, Nik. Trust me. I've searched every rack and wall in here and there's nothing that's seems right for you. Come on, it's time to hit the online stores." He pulled himself to his feet and scratched the back of his head. "Thanks, Chloe, you've been an awesome help."

Chloe's freckled cheeks warmed and she tried to pull off a nonchalant shrug. "It's okay. I had fun helping."

Leaving the two talking I went to change. When I came back out, they were still chatting animatedly and Zac even seemed to be enjoying himself, the smile he wore genuine unlike earlier when he knocked on my front door.

He stopped when he saw me. "Ready to go?"

"Um, actually, I really want this shirt!" I plucked a coat hanger off the rack and showed them both a random blue T-shirt. I didn't really want it, but what was the harm in giving Chloe a little extra leeway?

"My shift finishes at 5," Chloe hinted as she gave me my receipt at the counter, gazing up at Zac the entire time. I stood to the side, taking my bag extra slowly... "Maybe we could meet up and go see that new clown movie-"

Something suddenly caught Zac's attention outside the store. His head snapped in that direction and not a second later his legs were moving. He rushed out, leaving us both behind and Chloe on the verge of asking him out.

"I'm sorry," I said quickly before chasing after him.

When I caught up to him, Zac was aimlessly spinning around in search for something. "Hey!" I panted, hands on my knees. "Why'd you run?"

"I thought I saw... Brianna," he murmured, looking around the corner.

"Chloe was flirting with you Zac! And you just left without letting her finish!"

He turned back to me and frowned but his eyes went past me, still searching for Bri. "Are you sure? I thought she was just being nice."

I wanted to face-palm myself, and then slap him. He really only had eyes for one person, didn't he?

Brianna you idiot.

A/N: Zac is my spirit animal :3

Fact about me/this story: when I first started this story, I had no idea of the direction it would go. Still don't really, just making shit up as I go along. Seems to work for me interestingly enough.

Published 8/9/17

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Art of Darkness By Vara

General Fiction

3.6M 114K 68
"Look at them, enjoying life without you. I guess they favor your twin sister more than you that's why they gave you up, huh?" After thirteen years o...
20K 1.8K 54
BOOK TWO HIGHEST RANK #212 in Vampire Cover by @playboystiles I walked through the dark alley. I was moving for an hour now with him by myside. He h...
340 37 20
-A secret organisation of hunters have protected humanity against creatures of the light and darkness, since civilisation first began.- Nia can't rem...
388K 24.4K 38
Fate has promised me the shittiest ever after... Death. Fortunately, I've never been very good at accepting bullshit endings. Echo Wilde grew up...