SnowFall

By CutieBlueAngel

[Sequel to SNOWFIRE] [ON-HOLD - unsure of next update] Gataria is under threat. With both humans and Ryders'... More

[New Version] Snowfall
Prologue
A Month Later
Choices
Lake Phobia
Lightning
The First Storm
In Reverse
I Fear What I Can Do
I Wish You The Best
New Roommate
Night Sounds
The Ghost of the Forgotten
Back to Work
Silent Agreement
Just Like Old Times
Beast
Doing Some Good
A Darkness Called Beast
Death Of A Loved One
[CHAPTER STOP]
[Save Her]
Back to Battle
An Awkward Meet Up
Recovery and Discovery
Back to Phoenixia
Stay Quiet
Suspicion
Meeting the Unwelcomed
Aftermath
Water and the Flame
Turner or Mitcovan
When Water Met the Flame
Two Birds With One Stone
Fear
Was Friends
Ava
Team
Betrayal
Red
Guilt
Friends for Now
Abandoned
Wake Up Jason
Becoming a Shadow
Murderer
Answers
Dreams
Are you Real?
Death Water
Breathe
Never Leave
Stanley
Pollen
The Coroner's Report
Acceptance
A Fish in the Ocean
Awake from Flames
Discovered
Out of the Fire

Too Late Now

406 30 4
By CutieBlueAngel

Nick couldn't just go home. He just couldn't.

Something inside him, like a shift in tectonic plates, a tree fallen in a forest, a vibration will keep him awake all night. He had to do something. It was the second worst decision he has ever made.

The butler greeted him at the door with a formal demeanour, but it didn't hide his surprise.

"My Prince! At such late hour..."

"Sorry Levi, but I need to speak to Dale." Nick was already on the marble entrance, the merciless cold floor echoed under his steps.

"I'm not sure if he would be happy to see you," Levi kindly warned. He coughed into his gloved hand. "Perhaps, tomorrow morning would be better."

"Then it would be too late," Nick said to himself. He looked at Levi's blank expression and smiled. "Please Levi."

Levi paused and then nodded. "Of course. But..."

Levi hesitated, but Nick encouraged him with a nod.

"The girl, the guest... she's well fed, well dressed. It is rather odd, isn't it? "

"I told Dale not to hurt her."

Levi's expression didn't change.

"But-" Nick stopped him.

"There's nothing to worry about. She'll be fine."

Levi opened his mouth, but then closed it. There was uncertainty in his eyes. He gave a small bow and left for the upstairs.

Nick paced around in the waiting room. The carpet engulfed his footsteps as he gave fleeting glances to his knuckles and then at the door. He kept walking.

The clock struck 12 and the muffled bell sounded in the distance. Nick stopped and looked at the digital clock on the wall.

"Brother."

Nick turned. He saw the other pair of green eyes narrowed in amusement.

"Already got the files? What a surprise." He said in a monotone.

"I'm afraid not." Nick gauged his brother. He looked older, perhaps weary. But in a suit, he was still fresh.

What was he doing? Nick thought.

His brother laughed. "Well, what are you here for?"

"To ask what you need these files for."

"I already told you. It's confidential." Dale's long stride reached Nick in two steps.

"You're working with Evans, aren't you?" Nick gritted his teeth and challenged Dale with his glowing eyes. "He's not dead. He's always watching us, I know that..."

Nick's eyes glowed intensely. Dale's smirk faltered. His gaze shifted to the decorations and antiques placed on the shelves, now, floating in midair.

"But I just couldn't believe that my family would be dealing with him."

Dale laughed, his usual confidence returned. He pushed his black hair back and shoved his hands into his pockets. "Why not, baby brother? We can rule the place."

Nick's stomach fell to the bottom. His voice lowered, "How can you trust him?"

"It's called business. Negotiation... trade..." Dale's voice lowered dangerously. His tone deepened. "Nothing you would understand."

Nick's eyes were now a green flame. Nick felt the twitch of his brother's panicked expression. He quickly recovered, but not quick enough.

The shelves shook, but with a raise of his brother's hands, Nick felt something compress his chest. The shelves stopped moving, the antiques clunked back onto the wooden shelves.

"I do understand. I knew you were trying to frame me." Nick walked closer to him, hating that he was shorter than Dale. "You wanted Jason to think I was betraying him, asking me to steal his folders and then give them to you. They're useless aren't they?"

Dale raised his brows. "Oh, I am surprised. You've improved."

"How could you? You call me brother and yet we are exactly not that." Nick's shoulders slumped in defeat. He felt something crack inside him, and his body was just a hollow shell. The breeze could pass through it and he could hear it whistle. "Stop this. Give me Skyler and stop this. Evans isn't someone that you should deal with."

Dale was losing his patience. "That is none of your business. You don't even come home."

"Is this my home?" Nick waved. "I'm clearly not welcome."

"Then leave." Dale's voice boomed.

"Not without Skyler," Nick demanded. His green eyes swirling into a darker shade. Dale challenged him with another shock in his body. His arm twitched and Nick inhaled harshly when Dale came close.

"I could break your arm right now, do you understand?" Dale hissed near his ear. Nick locked gaze with him.

"Where is she?" Nick leaned in close.

Just at that moment, Skyler walked through the double doors. Her blue dress floating behind her like a cloud. She had no fear or loneliness in her grey eyes. All Nick saw was a pampered lady described in historical books. Her heel clicks halted and the look of shock flooded her face.

"N-Nick?"

Dale cursed out loud. "Skyler! I told you to stay in your room!"

"What are you doing to him?" Skyler looked from Nick back to Dale.

Nick froze. The tension in his bones was conquered by the overwhelming confusion. When he first saw her in the house, her hair was a mess, her clothes were torn and there was blood. Where was all that now? Where was the horror he saw, the muffled screams of panic and of mercy.

Where were those?

Nick exhaled slowly, hoping to break the mirage, dream, whatever he was seeing.

"Skyler," he breathed, "you have to get out."

Skyler tilted her head, and her eyes saddened.

Dale laughed out loud. His back bending as he tried to control his mirthless laugh. "Oh Nicholas! You innocent child!"

Nick swears that something was ripped away from him. He let out a cry of agony, but it was cut short by an unknown force holding something in his throat. He tried to clutch it with his arm, but only one arm moved. The Earth shifted, he was given an unwanted embrace as he hit the floor. He heard a shriek, a shout, and an animal-like moan. He realised that the moan came from himself.

"Dale! No!" Skyler cried, but Dale shushed her.

"It has to be done. He's seen you." He paled. "If you actually cared, you shouldn't have walked out of your room."

Nick stiffened. What? What has to be done? He hoped –

His neck tightened and he couldn't breathe.

"I'm guessing that framing you didn't work. But I'll make sure that the word gets across." His brother's dull eyes glazed over his struggling form. He churned silently on the carpet, like a dimming fire.

"You will be the traitor of Phoenixia." Dale stated calmly, his grip tightened and Nick's eyes widened. Skyler was pulling on Dale's arm, but he jerked it away and held her silent and still against the wall with his free hand. "And... you betrayed Jason, betrayed the team. You decided to work with me."

Nick swung a pot at Dale's head and his grip around his neck loosened. Nick gasped loudly, thinking that he would've passed out if he hadn't let go. Dale let out a curse before he shut the double doors.

Nick pushed himself away from Dale. When he grabbed him from behind, he elbowed him. Nick waved his unbroken hand around, and Dale was thrown into the air. But he was much stronger than Nick, he easily orientated himself and he was again on the floor.

"I'm stronger than you!"

Nick saw Skyler was frozen at the corner, watching the whole scene play out. He did not give her a second glance, for Dale was already outstretching his hand and churning something else inside him. Nick let out a painful cry.

"You know you're not stronger than me! Little objects are useless to me." Nick felt a million needle stabs under his skin and he collapsed, exhausted and in pain. He coiled, bringing his knees to his chest before he opened again, squirming on the floor in pain.

"S-Stop..." he begged weakly.

"Can't. It's too late for that." Dale wheezed. He wiped his sweat off his forehead and he started looking around. "No one will find you. Your name will never be cleared. A traitor, you always will be..."

"No..." Nick panted.

"Don't kill him, Dale." Skyler warned. "He's your brother!"

"A brother he is!" Dale said sarcastically, "we were always fighting. You were never meant to be here."

Nick thought the light was flickering, but it wasn't, the dim wall light didn't flicker, it was his vision. It was too much, too much to handle... he should just drown in darkness. Then, he couldn't feel a single thing. No more ticking in the skull, ringing in the ears, desperate gasps for breath, just... nothingness.

"You can't kill him! Your mother would be furious." Skyler reminded quickly. "Oh, and your other brothers! You just can't! Your brother!"

Nick's eyes were drooping, but from the silence, he could tell that Dale was hesitating. Nick let out a weak smile.

How pathetic. His big brother cares.

He closed his eyes.

It's too late for that...

A/N
Hey! Sorry for the long wait. You guys would probably have to wait longer since I have exams — they are stressful :(

Vote and comment on what you think about the story (Q & A it, whatever!)

Until next time!

L

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.6K 181 41
The end is just the beginning. Before people thought the world would end in a war between the Blazers and Aguamites. Leo Higgins and Cassie Ewer prov...
137K 5.4K 46
Eira Riley has a secret to hide, even though she doesn't want to. She loves her powers of ice and snow. When dark forces enter her world, she is for...
268K 10.6K 49
The first part from The Elements series. Meet Shadow Renoir. She's in her last year in high school and she's one of those kid you see in the hallway...
2.6K 190 40
The end isn't near, it's here. The kinds were created by a chemical explosion during WWIII, but it wiped out the rest of the human race. Only certain...