The Player Next Door ✓

By BabyInACorner

[#1 Teen Fiction | #1 in Romance] Bad boy Luke Dawson is stuck living with clumsy nobody Millie Ripley for t... More

01 | Every Last Drop
02 | The Devil Himself
03 | Russian Roulette
04 | My Fruit Loops
05 | Penguin Walk
06 | Black Market Milkshakes
07 | Broken Record
08 | Luke's Orbit
09 | Skunk Problem
10 | Put A Shirt On
11 | Warning Labels
12 | Honey
13 | Blow the candles
14 | Crazy Contagious
15 | Cabin Fever
16 | Ombudsman
17 | Girls Still Have Cooties
18 | Sidechick
19 | Alpha Males
20 | Capsize
21 | Photo
22 | Goodbye
23 | Roller Coaster
24 | Pillow People
25 | Pop
26 | Leave
27 | Ice Cream Personality
28 | Reputation
29 | Deluded
30 | Jumping Jiminy
31 | The Grotto
32 | Good Girl
33 | Addicted
35 | Not My Friend
36 | Whq is thisd
37 | Sportsmanship
38 | Birthday Blues
39 | I'm a Work in Progress
40 | In Your Nature
41 | Dirt
42 | Brothers
43 | Four Reasons
44 | Girls Support Girls
45 | Blackout
46 | Wrong House
47 | Letter
48 | Operation Millie
49 | Toxic
50 | No Interruption
51 | Suspenders
52 | Tea
53 | Unforgettable
54 | Song for You
55 | Ovaries
56 | Your Own Grave
57 | Player Would Say
58 | Choose
59 | I See You
60 | Minnie
61 | End of the Beginning
| Sequel |
Player Next Door is a TRILOGY!

34 | Inherit the World's Wishes

762K 24.1K 20.2K
By BabyInACorner

The picture above is a little reminder that sometimes we need a word of encouragement to keep going.  You got this.

Chapter 34: Inherit the World's Wishes

Julia and I sat opposite each other at the Mad Batter bakery.  We were drinking vanilla bean frappes out of china teacups and eating our feelings. 

"This is huge. You must be the first non-model that Luke Dawson has ever talked to."

"It's been a crazy summer," I said.

Cupcakes and a topsy-turvy cake were on plates between us. The tablecloth was green like grass and a plastic pink flamingo had salt and pepper shakers on its back. 

I had told Julia the entire story. She had forgotten all about her South Beach diet.

"I am so jealous right now," she said, stuffing a piece of cake into her mouth, "I can't believe I haven't been around to see this. I always knew your car was lucky."

"Lucky? You do realize I am at his beck and call until I pay off the damages. That isn't lucky in anyone's books."

"It is when your master is Luke Dawson. It's as kinky as Fifty Shades."

"If I was the Playboy model type," I swallowed a spoonful of frosting. "Your phone's ringing."

"Advertisements," she said, switching her phone off.

Not before I saw the caller ID: Cearra. 

That's the first time she has ever ignored Cearra.

"Oh my god. Speaking of gods," Julia stared at someone behind me, "Jake just walked in.  Have you heard about him while you've been flirting over broken laptops?  He's the delicious new kid at school.  Lexi said-"

"Hey Millie."

Jake was coming over to our table. He didn't realize he was interrupting Julia talking about him. Julia dropped her spoon.

I waved at him. 

"I didn't expect to see you Tuesday night," he said in his usual laid-back style.

"Not my scene?" I guessed what he meant. Austin's grotto was a mood.

"Not mine either," he smiled, "I don't want to intrude on your chat but I bought textbooks for school so you won't have to strain your neck sharing yours."

"I didn't mind," I smiled back.

"Well thanks anyway.  You made my first week." 

He walked away and I took another bite of the topsy-turvy cake.

I looked at Julia. "What?"

She was staring at me like I was an alien.

"Did you inherit the world's wishes?"

I didn't know how to respond. So my body pressed repeat. "What?"

"Where's your genie in a lamp?" she went on, "I can't believe you. You have no friends at all except for the two hottest boys in school."

I considered it for a moment, "It is weird, isn't it."

"It's plain crazy."

We finished our dessert at the Mad Batter before going home.

**

Flora was waiting for me in my bedroom. She swiveled around in my red chair like Dr Evil.

"How did you know about the party on Tuesday?"

"I was invited to it," I replied, expecting some flashlight to shine in my face like in an interrogation room.

"Liar.  Were you spying on girls in the bathroom?  Did you overhear someone say something?"

"No.  I was invited."

"Stop pretending to be cool!  You wouldn't be invited to Austin's party if hell froze over, a contagious disease infected the female population and you were the only girl left standing."

"That's a bizarre combo of scenarios..."

"Why do you even exist?" she stormed out of my bedroom, "I was here first!"

Maybe this is sisterly love.

**

Mondays are brutal. 

I wasn't quite ready for school. It takes a certain attitude to wake up in the mornings and know that no one will say a good word to you. Everyone else has friends to talk to and people to be with. And you? Well, I mean, me. I really hope not you. Me, I have no one.

No one spoke to me all morning. Not a single word or greeting. My vocal cords got a bit rusty -- maybe a cobweb or two - from lack of use.

Not funny?

I sat by myself at lunch. Julia texted me to join the LUCKY group table, but I knew she would bring up Luke and Jake in front of the other girls. And I didn't want those girls to only care about me because of who I knew. 

It's toleration by association.

Khloe was among them; the 'K' in LUCKY.  She was still riding the rumor mill as the girl from our year who was co-counselor with Luke this summer. She never mentioned me in any of the stories. In fact, people believed she was the counselor who lived with him. 

That's how little I exist in their eyes.

My last class was English Lit. I filed in, bored and ready for this day to end. We were still reading Hamlet. I opened the play on a random page in Act III. Hamlet murders Polonius. He was losing grip on reality, pondering his own mortality.

I leaned my head against the palm of my hand.

"Funny scene you're on," Jake commented, staring down at my pages.

My hand slipped and I sat upright, surprised he was talking to me. I forget that Jake is a nice guy.

"What?" I asked, confused.  I looked down and read what he was referring to:

Hamlet: Lady, shall I lie in your lap?
Ophelia: No, my Lord.
Hamlet: I mean, my head upon your lap?
Ophelia: I think nothing, my Lord.
Hamlet: That's a fair thought to lie between maids' legs.

Shakespeare getting erotic.  Ookay.

"No wonder you're daydreaming," Jake murmured.

Oh wow. Didn't expect that.

I closed the play. "I don't get off on Shakespeare."

"How do you get off?"

"That's none of your business."

"That's right.  It has nothing to do with business..." he left the implication hanging in the air between us. 

Didn't he know he could get so many more attractive girls than me?  Why was he doing this?  And why so inquisitive? 

"Are you reading Act IV after class?" he asked smoothly.

"No. I work part time at a clothing store."

"When do you finish?"

"8pm."

"I'll pick you up then."

"What?" I spun around to look at him properly, "We're doing what then?"

He raised his hands in surrender, "Nothing crazy.  We'll go to the Surfside Shack."

I'm sorry, but when no one ever wants to hang out with you, you start to believe that you're not worth hanging out with. 

I had to be in debt before Luke even remembered my name.

"Why?" I asked, still shocked. 

Jake looked relaxed, one arm over the book on his desk.  His eyes glanced at the teacher, as a reminder to me to stay calm or else attract the teacher's attention. 

"Everyone hangs out there after school," he said. 

I was more asking about why us, but ok.

Everyone hangs out there?  He's only been here 2 weeks and he's already plugged in more than me.  Though that's a low bar.

**

I tried concentrating on some homework, parking my math book by the cash register at Lola Rae.  I was writing sentences with the numbers on my calculator. Typing in formulas and turning the calculator upside down to read it:

77.34 / 100 = HELLO

32664 + 2342 = GOOSE

So definitely nothing productive. I wrapped up at the store, having watched the time slide towards 8PM. At 8 sharp, I stepped out of the mall and into the parking lot, feeling a pit of nerves rise in my stomach.

Part of me thought Jake would forget to pick me up. He's had all afternoon to come to his senses. If he was on any medication during English Lit, they've surely worn off by now.

"Millie!" I heard Jake call my name.  I looked around.  None of the parked cars had a driver in them.  "Millie!"

No.

A giant, sleek motorcycle purred to a stop by the parking lot entrance. He took his helmet off and his soft hair tumbled over his eyes.  He waved me over. 

No, thank you.

Is there a bus?  Maybe we can take the bus.  Or my car.

He saw the fear in my eyes and waited patiently for me to get closer.  When I did, the first thing he said was to take my mind off the bike.

"Have you been to the Shack before?  It's mostly seniors, the basketball guys and their crew," he said, watching my eyes trail the motorcycle suspiciously. He was letting me get comfortable with the idea. "Some of the guys surfed there this summer and it became a good hangout spot.  Used to be a place for gangs."

I translated his words in my head:   The basketball guys... Luke.  The surfers... Austin.  And the biker gang.

Finally, my eyes met his. "So we're going there?"

I haven't been to the Surfside Shack since... the last time. You know; milkshakes, biker gang, failed getaway car. Good times.

He nodded and I noticed how hot he looked in a black leather jacket, his foot casually leaning on the footrest. 

"The Mad Batter bakery does a really good red velvet cupcake," I offered a calmer alternative.

Going to the Shack with Jake... where Luke, Austin, Chad, Bianca, Stacey, my sister... any of them could be, was such a bad idea.  

"Live for a thrill." He offered me a helmet.

It was a black helmet with two signature red streaks on the side. I stared at it and slowly, reluctantly, took it in my hands. 

Live for a thrill.

A/N: OK, you know who they're going to cross into at the Shack.  How do you think it's going to go down?

Also, did you think this chapter was too slow moving?  I don't know if I'm giving too many details and you just want to get on with it.  Lmk!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

280K 3.9K 11
Skye falls for none other than the school's bad boy. Will her life change for better or for worse?..in a My Bad Boy Romance
61K 2.2K 29
When school outcast Krishna and troublemaker Novahk meet at night,its only the beginning of the spark that is going to turn into something so much mo...
35.6K 899 86
"If you ever need me, I'll be at the Potter's." These were the words that kept on rolling around Regulus' head. His brother's last words before he le...
124K 5.6K 33
This is for people who like, talk, and breathe sarcasm it's not for people who can't take a joke at all and are boring people irl