Let's Play A Game, Alpha

By HessianKills

"When will you accept me?'' Lucian murmured against my skin. The wonderful feeling only grew as he stepped cl... More

Author's Note
1 - Silence Is Golden
2 - Breaking My Lamp Is Not Cool
3 - F@*% You
5 - Freedom Comes With A Cost
6 - Sticks & Stones
7 - Hero
8 - Ghostly Kisses
9 - The Beautiful Bride
10 - Mice Will Play When The Cat's Away
11 - The Beast's Property
12 - Solution? Chocolate
13 - Silver Moon
14 - The 5 Stages of Grief
15 - You Can't Control Me
16 - One of a Kind
17 - Crazy Mama Jean
18 - Puppet
19 - Ain't No Party Like A Werewolf Party
20 - The Bonfire
21 - Missing
22 - Strangers Like Best Friends
23 - Flora & A Unicorn Named Shirley
24 - Incomplete
25 - Mommy's Home
26 - Trust Issues
27 - Broken Love
28 - Sins of the Father
29 - Human Nature
30 - Game Over
Author's Note

4 - Bastard

465K 14.9K 8.2K
By HessianKills

I will never recall a time I was happier to see the town of Draycottcome into view.

Driving at a law-breaking speed, I turned like a maniac onto Duward Street. Lucian's car was faster than I had predicted. On more than one occasion I had come close to crashing into another pedestrian, but some magical luck kept me alive. I slowed down, passing the DraycottLibrary.

Duck yellow tape with the word Police was wrapped around the border of the library. Security was the heaviest around the alleyway where Lucian had killed the man. No one usually cared about anything that happened in Draycott. Drugs and rape went on every night, yet the cops ignored it all. But the murder had brought extra protection to the town.

I bet it was some super rich politician that he killed. Why else would police give two damns about any murder that happened here? It was such a common event.

I drove past the commotion and turned onto my block. The run-down apartment building came into view. At least it wasn't up in flames like I had expected to see. Hoping against hope that Flora was okay, I parked the wicked car and jumped out.

Lucian was on my tail, no doubt, but I wouldn't leave without a fight. If not for my own life, then for Flora's at least. She would have no protection or safety left in Draycott. Mother was useless in every way; we had even forgotten there was another person living with us. Flora couldn't live like that, and I didn't care what Lucian did about it. I would never let anything happen to my little sister. Flora was basically all I had left.

The stairs seemed longer. My feet pounded each wooden step. Sweat trickled down my neck, matting my shirt to my body. I felt disgusting and itchy, and my pink hair blew into my face with every movement. I wretched myself up the last few steps and ran into the house.

The living room was like we had left it. The table was still broken from where that man had crashed into, and the lamp lay in dangerous shards. Beer bottles and hints of cocaine littered the floor with rolled up dollar bills under the stained couch. Mother was nowhere to be seen. Panic gripped my chest so hard that I found it hard to move. Forcing myself to walk, I went to the kitchen. A huge wave of relief crashed into me at the innocent sight of Flora.

She was sitting at the table, eating cereal. Other than the milk bag dripping onto the floor, the pots and pans spilling from the cabinets, and little pieces of cereal on the floor, nothing was out of the ordinary. The kitchen was a mess, but at least Flora was okay.

"Victoria!" she cried. I smiled and knelt down to her height as she attacked me with a hug. Her bright smile did not diminish. I brushed her hair back with my fingers as best as I could and led her back to the table.

"Where were you? I thought you left me." Flora asked through a mouthful of cereal. I walked over to the hallway mirror, making sure I could still keep an eye on her, and began brushing my own hair back. My pink hair looked even more candy-colored from the light shining through the window. Sweat, dried tears, and ruined mascara trailed down my face. I walked to the sink and threw cold water onto my face.

"I had something to do." I lied. "But I came back, didn't I? I would never leave you, Flora. What did you do last night after....after those people visited us?"

"I hid under my bed. I didn't know if they were bad people, Vicky. I couldn't tell. I heard someone screaming. I stayed under my bed until I couldn't hear anything anymore, and then I came out. You and those people were gone. Mommy was in the bathroom. Victoria, why was she sleeping in the bathtub? She looked silly. What did you do?"

"I had to see some friends. They- er, they needed help with....homework. I'm sorry if I scared you last night, it was just all very sudden. But that doesn't matter how. What matters is that we're both safe." I dried my face off with a napkin. 

Flora smiled and milk dribbled down her chin. "I wasn't scared."

"Oh really? Well then if you're such a big girl, you don't need me anymore." I turned to go, a smile on my lips. Behind me, I heard a soft whimper.

"Victoria!"

I could manage a real laugh this time.

After Flora finished her breakfast, I ran a bath for her. She splashed around happily, the door open so I could keep an eye on her. I ate my breakfast with one hand and tried fixing myself up with the other. It was useless, I looked just as bad as my mother. When Flora was clean and dressed, I settled her down in front of the television and took a shower.

The water trickled down my back. The smell of shampoo helped to clear my head. I stood for so long under the water that it began running cold. When I couldn't stand it anymore, I turned the faucet off and dried myself. Dressed in a warm jumper and leggings, I found Flora sitting on the floor colouring a book.

Feeling much better, I picked Flora up and sat on the couch. "Have you seen Mother?" I asked, brushing her wet hair back. 

"No." Her big blue eyes searched my own. "Vicky, what is wrong with her? Why does she look so sad?"

A lump slowly formed in my throat. I had to tell her the truth someday, but it never seemed like the right time. She was growing up, she'd figure it out herself soon that our mother was a drug addict and our father was never coming back. I rested my chin on her head. "She's just sad, Flora. She's going through a rough time. The only thing we can do is leave her alone. Mum can figure herself out. Let's just worry about us now, okay?"

"Okay. You wanna hear a joke?" She patted my cheek.

"Sure."

"What kind of bees make milk?"

I already knew the answer, she had told it so many times before, but I couldn't help playing along every time. "I don't know, what?"

"Boo-bees!" Flora laughed as if it was the funniest thing in the world. Her laugh had a raspy tone behind it, like an old bus driver. I chuckled, more at her laugh than the actual joke. We went into the kitchen to get something to drink.

Our happiness was short-lived as someone knocked on the door. It was angry and loud. Flora continued searching the refrigerator, no worry on her face. I closed the door and yanked her behind me protectively. She began protesting but I quickly shushed her up. A second later, a loud crack hinted that Lucian had probably broken the door down.

Bastard.

There came a sound like soft growling, much like an angered dog would do. Flora peeked curiously through my waist. I could hear my heartbeats. The sounds coming from the living room wasn't one that a human was capable of making. Much to my horror and Flora's delight, 3 dogs bounded into the kitchen.

My heart rose to my throat. Maybe werewolves did, in fact, exist. The proof was certainly there. The dogs were larger than a horse, almost reaching my height. One was white, and the other two were brown.

I assumed Lucian was the white one. His fur was sleek silver, and reflecting light off in a smattering of colors. At the end of a sharp nose, there were knife-like teeth that were bared at me. Lucian's magnificent golden eyes focused on me, and a deep growling emitted from deep in his chest. They were all fangs, growls, and things straight out of a child's nightmare.

My heart almost stopped. The floor I was standing upon suddenly seemed unbalanced. There was the doorway, but many of them. I closed my eyes, gripping the counter for support behind me. Flora shouted happily. She must have thought they were big, playful dogs.

Lucian's wolf form walked right up to my face. I turned my face, too afraid to look. I expected to feel his teeth sink into my flesh any second now. A minute of silence passed and nothing happened. I felt Flora slip past me and leave. My hands gripped for her, but only touched thin air. Suddenly, I felt something warm connect with my groping fingers and that familiar wonderful tingle ran through me again.

Slowly, I opened my eyes. Instead of the snarling wolf I had seen before, Lucian was standing in the same place. He has returned to normal human form, or at least as human as a beast such as him could get. I swallowed dryly and looked into the darkened depths of his eyes. They were a soft, liquid blue. I expected to see anger but found relief instead. He captured my hands in his large rough ones and pressed them captive against his chest.

I glanced over his tall built. Flora was on the floor, playing with Lucian's friends. The two large brown wolves stayed in the same form. They were both laying on the ground, purring at Flora. She giggled and petted their fur, to which they growled with content.

"Do not run from me, Victoria." Lucian's gruff voice drew me to his handsome face once again. I tried to pull from his grip, but he pressed me against the counter until there was not but a breath of air left between our chests. He wretched my chin up until I was forced to look into his eyes.

"You scared me." Lucian murmured against my neck. I felt his lips press a warm kiss and it bought a huge wave of flutters and nerves to my stomach. "You could have hurt yourself, Victoria! The brakes on that car do not always work properly."

"Well, I didn't." I made my voice blunt, hoping he couldn't see through the false act that hid so much terror and need in me. "I needed to see Flora. She's family, I am not going to leave her here alone."

"You could have asked first." Lucian raised his head, his lips pressed together to suppress his anger. The blood rushed back and made them red again when he released it. "I apologize for that earlier statement. I would not dream of being with anyone unless it is you. You are my mate. You belong to me. You are mine. Please just accept that, Victoria, because it is not going to change. We are bound by history. The moment you came into this world, you were meant to be mine."

"Oh, please." I scoffed, slapping his hands off me. I swallowed dryly and moved away. Surprisingly enough, Lucian allowed me. "Please. I can't do this. I can't....I can't do any of this. Why are you doing this? Just go, just leave me and my sister alone. I don't want to be with you. I want to be able to get the chance to choose who I will spend the rest of my life with. I can't explain the way I feel about you, but it-it's not right! This is all unnatural, Lucian! Werewolves are just supposed to be a myth."

Lucian sighed. "Victoria, let me explain please. Just give me 10 minutes, and I swear to you, it will make sense. I believe we got off on the wrong foot."

"Wrong foot, my arse." I muttered, but sat down nonetheless. Flora ambled over to me. I picked her up and placed the cereal bowl in front of her again.

"Leave us." Lucian ordered to his backup. His voice was filled with power. It was incredibly attractive, and I found myself yearning to touch him again. Flora munched on her food, too wrapped up in her happy bubble to care what was happening. 

Lucian eyed me dangerously. "Do not try to leave again, Victoria. I will let this time pass, but only because you are impulsive. Do not expect me to forgive such an act again, darling. I love you, but if punishment is necessary then it will be delivered. Being an Alpha means respect. I will not tolerate your rash decisions again. Is that clear?"

When I didn't answer, Lucian placed his hands on the table and leaned over until I could make out each individual stubble hair on his cheek. He glowered dangerously at me. "Is that clear, Victoria?" he repeated, but with a little warning edge on his dark tone.

"Sure." I sneered. When he turned away, I made a mocking face at his head. Unfortunately, Flora saw it and laughed which caught Lucian's attention once again.

Lucian took a seat from across the table and crossed his arms in a careless manner. I almost opened my mouth and asked him if he could sit closer, but thankfully stopped myself in time. I picked up a strand of Flora's hair and twirled it around.

"What do you want to know?" he asked.

"Everything." I answered.

"Well, that is an awful lot to tell, is it not?" Lucian replied. I watched as he picked up an apple from the fruit bowl between us and took a bite. He chewed mercilessly slow, never looking anywhere but me. His Adam's apple bobbed when he swallowed, and the fluttering urges came back. Never had I found that so sexy in anyone but Lucian. For some unexplainable reason, everything he did was so damn attractive.

"I still have to mark you." he said suddenly.

I raised a skeptical eyebrow. "Are you fucking serious?"

"Do not use that kind of language around me, Victoria." he growled. "I will not allow my mate to use such vulgar words. And to answer your question, yes. I am completely serious."

"You will not bite me." My voice strained high with fear, but I couldn't fight the image of Lucian's lips on my neck. It was strangely alluring. I forced myself to not think about that. Being around Lucian completely changed the way I thought, and I hated it.

"I must. It is essential to complete the mating ritual. The more days I go on without marking you, the stronger the urges get, even for you. And the longer it goes on, the more restless every wolf in my pack gets. An Alpha is not truly one unless they have a marked Lupa, which is the official term for you. The marking process is called the Luna Bonda. Every second that ticks by, I am fighting the urge to taste your blood. As horrid as that sounds, it has to be done. Oh, Victoria..." he bared his teeth at me. "I simply cannot wait to make you mine."'

I couldn't tell if I was turned on or utterly terrified.

"But that will happen later. All in good time, little mate. Believe me, you will be begging me to mark you soon enough. But do understand that none of this comes without danger, especially since you have been mated with an Alpha. No leader comes without enemies, and the Winter Wolves are threatened every second by lesser evil who want to take down the pack because of my father's doing."

"I am not saying I have not done anything bad in my life, Victoria because believe me, I have. My father, Demetrius Nayati, was the Alpha before me. He made many enemies in his life, and they are still thirsting for our blood to this day. You must understand, my enemies will make attempts on your life to get to me. Anyone can sense when an Alpha has found his mate. Victoria, and I am asking you to risk your life to be with me. I swear to you, I will protect you with my life. That is no doubt, I am forced to do so even if I do not want to."

Lucian paused, looking at me cautiously. I suppose he was expecting me to have a hissy fit or start crying, but I did neither. My head began hurting with all the information Lucian was feeding me. He sensed this, and reached across the table to take my hand. The pain instantly lifted and replaced with a warm flutter.

"Having such power is a burden, and being a beast is a curse. We are not bound by nature's laws. Werewolves have been around far longer than the first man. There are a few things I must warn you about. Werewolves are basically immortal due to the constant regeneration of physical tissue. You feel weird around me not only because we are mates, but because the physical attraction that is linked by nature. It was only get stronger after Luna Bonda. I have a heightened sense of everything. The most important thing I can tell you is that you cannot leave. No matter how far you travel, Victoria, even the other side of the world wouldn't be enough distance. The link can never be broken, and you will die."

I swallowed. "So what you're saying is that if I leave you, I will die?"

"Yes. The same goes for me. Two mates cannot leave each other, it is virtually impossible. Leaving my mate will result in a painful death for us both."

"What would have happened if I died before you found me? You can't have dead mate....can you?"

"No. If an Alpha does not find his mate after a limited amount of centuries, he is kicked out of the pack and looked down upon for the rest of eternity, until death seems like the answer. That is what happened to my father. He never found a real mate. My mother was another wolf in the pack. We are called the Winter Wolf Pack because of the fur color of the Alpha. My ancestors all had white fur, as do I."

"What....how is any of this possible?"

Lucian sighed and turned away. I quickly untangled our fingers and let go. The warm feeling disappeared the instant we broke skin contact. I wasn't sure if I believed Lucian, but everything he was saying had some truth behind it. 

"The bottom line is, you are my mate. I made a promise even before you were born to find you and protect you and give you everything you deserve. My life was meaningless before you, Victoria. I am one possessive bastard, and it will be when I'm dead before I see you leave me." Lucian growled.

"So what happens now?" I asked softly. In my arms, Flora's soft snores rose up. I adjusted her tiny body until I could walk with her head on my shoulders. Lucian stood up, the chair scraping against the tiled floor. His blue eyes flashed golden for a second, and he seemed to be having an inner battle with himself.

"Now we go home." he replied.

I shifted uncomfortably on the chair. "This is my home."'

Lucian instantly shook his head. "You are coming home with me."

"No." I snapped. "This is asking too bloody much! I accept the fact that wolves exist, I accept the fact that you're my mate. But I will not leave my home, Lucian. You can't except me to just leave everything behind and move in with you like I don't have a life of my ow-"

I choked on my spit as Lucian appeared in front of me with speed that left the curtains fluttering behind. He towered over, a dangerous glint in his eyes. "No?" he repeated angrily. "Then you are mistaken, Victoria. No one tells me no. Remember who is in charge here. I own you."

"I'm not a piece of property to-"

"I regret sedating you to bring you home, but if it has to be done, understand that I will not hesitate. You are far too stubborn and impulsive and beautiful for your own good. I will not repeat myself, Victoria. You are living with me now. Get in the car while you still have the chance of doing it so your way. You wouldn't like mine." Lucian smiled darkly.

I straightened my back, glaring at him with a vigor that would have made any man tremble. Unfortunately, Lucian was no normal man. I was so used to doing everything my way that a higher power made me clueless on how to react. I didn't know what was happening to me anymore.

"Lucian, you will pay for this." I spat. "Force me all you want, how much fun will it be when your life becomes utter hell? I will never be happy with such a bastard as yourself. Go wank yourself off, why don't you."

He merely smiled. "There will be a day where your words will cause you great trouble, and I will personally be on hand to watch you suffer. Watch your mouth, Victoria. How much will it protect you when you find yourself naked and tied to a bed?"

I smashed my teeth together until it hurt. "Is that a threat?" I fumed.

"No, love." he bent down until each word could be felt against my face. Heat crawled up my neck but I refused to back down. "It's a promise."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

19K 707 28
Warning: This book contains mature content. "Your scent is driving me crazy, mate. You're so ready for me," he said darkly, inhaling deeply, intoxica...
58.7K 1.4K 44
My dream continued the one I'd been having for the past couple of nights. I ran, gasping for breath, through the familiar woods from a dark figure be...
3.2M 75.3K 38
"I said look at me," he growled as he grabbed my arm from the Gamma in a vice grip. I winced and finally looked up to his stunning grey eyes. 'Mate...
2.8M 49.6K 19
"You know you can't resist me much longer." He continued to trail kisses down my neck and jaw. I bit my lip to keep a moan from escaping. "I am yo...