Greek Mythology

By goddessRhoda

Greek mythology is the body of myths and teachings that belong to the ancient Greeks, concerning their gods a... More

The Greek Mythology
The Olympian gods
Zeus
Poseidon
Hera
Demeter
Ares
Athena
Hephaestus
Aphrodite
Artemis
Apollo
Hermes
Dionysus
Hades
Hestia
The Greek Heroes
Bellerophon
Perseus
Odysseus
Achilles
Meleager
Actaeon
Heracles
Jason
Theseus
Asclepius
Dioscuri (Castor and Pollux)
Peleus
Atlanta
Other Greek Myths
The Amazons
Persephone, Queen of The Underworld
Prometheus, The Friend of Man
The Fall of Icarus
Orpheus and Eurydice
Pygmalion and Galatea
King Midas and The Golden Touch
Europa
Io and Zeus
Eros and Psyche
Leto, Mother of Artemis and Apollo
Pandora
Callisto, The Constellation
Adonis and Aphrodite
Phaeton and The Sun Chariot
Apollo and Daphne
Alcyone and Ceyx
Arachne
Cadmus, The Founder of Thebes
Deucalion and Pyrrha
Idas and Marpessa
The Danaides
Niobe
Trojan War
The Titans
Asteria
Astraeus
Atlas
Clymene
Coeus
Crius
Cronus
Dione
Eos
Epimetheus
Eurybia
Eurynome
Hyperion
Iapetus
Lelantos
Menoetius
Metis
Mnemosyne
Oceanus
Ophion
Pallas
Perses
Phoebe
Rhea
Selene
Styx
Tethye
Thea
Themis
Greek Monsters and Creatures
Calydonian Boar
Campe
Cetus
Charybdis
Crommyonian Sow
Geryon
Harpy
Khalkotauroi
Ladon
Lernaean Hydra
Mares of Diomedes
Minotaur
Nemean Lion
Orthus
Scylla
Sphinx
Stymphalian Bird
Argus Panoptes
Arion
Ash Tree Nymphs
Centaur
Cerberus
Ceryneian Hind
Chimaera
Chiron
Chrysaor
Cretan Bull
Cyclops
Delphyne
Echidna
Erymanthian Boar
Giant
Gorgons
Hecatoncheires
Laelaps
Marsyas
Medusa
Nessus
Pegasus
Phoenix
Polyphemus
Python
Silenus
Sirens
Talos
Teumessian Fox
Achelous
Aeolus
Aether
Amphitrite
Anemoi
Apate
Aura
Bia
Chaos
Circe
Deimos
Eileithyia
Enyo
Erebus
Eris
Eros
Gaea
Geras
Harmonia
Hebe
Hecate
Helios
Hemera
Horae
Hypnos
Iris
Keres
Kratos
Momus
Moros
Morpheus
Nemesis
Nike
Nyx
Oizys
Oneiroi
Ourea
Paean
Pan
Philotes
Phobos
Pontus
Tartarus
Thanatos
The Erinyes
The Fates
The Graces
The Muses
Tyche
Typhoeus
Uranus
Zelus

Aeneas

1.7K 10 0
By goddessRhoda

The Greek Heroes

Aeneas

Aeneas was a Trojan hero in Greek mythology, son of the prince Anchises and the goddess Aphrodite. He is more extensively mentioned in Roman mythology, and is seen as an ancestor of Remus and Romulus, founders of Rome.

Birth
Aphrodite made all Greek gods fall in love with mortal women, and Zeus, to punish her, made her fall in love with Anchises, who was a herdsman near Mount Ida. Aphrodite appeared in front of him, and the herdsman was smitten by her beauty. After sleeping together, Aphrodite revealed her true identity to him, who feared for any consequences that might afflict him. Aphrodite reassured him that there would be no problem as long as he kept it a secret. She also told him that she would give birth to Aeneas.

In Trojan War
The Aeneid explains that Aeneas is one of the few Trojans who were not killed or enslaved when Troy fell. Aeneas, after being commanded by the gods to flee, gathered a group, collectively known as the Aeneads, who then traveled to Italy and became progenitors of Romans. The Aeneads included Aeneas's trumpeter Misenus, his father Anchises, his friends Achates, Sergestus, and Acmon, the healer Iapyx, the helmsman Palinurus, and his son Ascanius (also known as Iulus, Julus, or Ascanius Julius). He carried with him the Lares and Penates, the statues of the household gods of Troy, and transplanted them to Italy.
Several attempts to find a new home failed; one such stop was on Sicily where in Drepanum, on the island's western coast, his father, Anchises, died peacefully.
After a brief but fierce storm sent up against the group at Juno's request, Aeneas and his fleet made landfall at Carthage after six years of wanderings. Aeneas had a year-long affair with the Carthaginian queen Dido (also known as Elissa), who proposed that the Trojans settle in her land and that she and Aeneas reign jointly over their peoples. A marriage of sorts was arranged between Dido and Aeneas at the instigation of Juno, who was told that her favorite city would eventually be defeated by the Trojans' descendants. Aeneas's mother Venus (the Roman adaptation of Aphrodite) realized that her son and his company needed a temporary respite to reinforce themselves for the journey to come. However, the messenger god Mercury was sent by Jupiter and Venus to remind Aeneas of his journey and his purpose, compelling him to leave secretly. When Dido learned of this, she uttered a curse that would forever pit Carthage against Rome, an enmity that would culminate in the Punic Wars. She then committed suicide by stabbing herself with the same sword she gave Aeneas when they first met.
After the sojourn in Carthage, the Trojans returned to Sicily where Aeneas organized funeral games to honor his father, who had died a year before. The company traveled on and landed on the western coast of Italy. Aeneas descended into the underworld where he met Dido (who turned away from him to return to her husband) and his father, who showed him the future of his descendants and thus the history of Rome.
Latinus, king of the Latins, welcomed Aeneas's army of exiled Trojans and let them reorganize their lives in Latium. His daughter Lavinia had been promised to Turnus, king of the Rutuli, but Latinus received a prophecy that Lavinia would be betrothed to one from another land — namely, Aeneas. Latinus heeded the prophecy, and Turnus consequently declared war on Aeneas at the urging of Juno, who was aligned with King Mezentius of the Etruscans and Queen Amata of the Latins. Aeneas's forces prevailed. Turnus was killed, and Virgil's account ends abruptly.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11.7K 431 11
Everyone knows the story of Ebanezer Scrooge and how he hated Christmas until he was visited by three ghost, the ghost of Christmas past,present and...
26K 800 89
Writing guidelines I found on different sites compiled by me.
82.4K 1.9K 14
Angel Greystone went from being the psychopath daughter to an fbi profiler. Criminal minds Seasons 9- more idk
3K 274 27
Eliana Cuevas has only one wish: to see her long-time crush in person, a certified volleyball player of Ryujin Nippon, Ran Takahashi. So she continue...