Asylum

By T8Townsend

When a group of unlikely acquaintances break out of Asylum - an isolating compound to keep those born with su... More

Newcomer
The Dragon
Yin and Yang
Stalking Not Gawking
Beneath the Surface
Janitor Duty
Reflection Pool
Tonight's the Night
Warning
Kya: Friend or Foe?
Escape
Unexpected Backup Plan
Zeus and the Dragon VS. the Imitator
Okay...Now What?
One Eye
Reaper
The Swap
Starving Dogs
Road Less Travelled
Team Up
Co-Captains of the Benchwarmers
Phase One: Acquire a Vehicle
Phase Two: Acquire a Vault Code
Cafe Conversations
Hot on the Trail
Dilemma
Chased
Darker Than Death
I Spy Kya's Disturbance
A Personal Score
Dream Walker
Overwhelmed
Chasing Ghosts
Arrival
Enemy Upstairs
Shades of Emotion
Embracing the Dragon
Wasted Potential
The Batman of Yokohama
Alistair
Distance
The Therapist's Daughter
Buckling Down
Battle Lines
Requesting Background Checks
Ultimatum
The Meaning of Kya
Why Teams Have Co-Captains
Prying at the Past
Proper Motivation
The Dragon VS. the Reaper
Pushed to the Edge
Recuperation
Ace Up My Sleeve
Day Off
To See the Cherry Blossoms Bloom
Plan in Motion
Innocence
Final Training
Early Start
The Last Showdown
Man of Many Faces
The New Master of the Dojo
Redrawn Alliances
Death Comes for Us All...Sometimes
Aoi Owari
A New Day
The Hunt for Answers
Newcomer
Black Knight

Face-to-Face

1 0 0
By T8Townsend

Xavier Walker

Having him agonize over his so-called hallucinations was one of my favorite parts of torturing Ren. Every time I appeared, he looked so weak. No longer was he the Dragon that Japan held on a pedestal, but he was the little boy who was begging for my forgiveness after he killed our father and burnt my eye out. It was tempting to tell him I wasn't a figment of his imagination, but seeing him crumble so slowly made me too happy.

The rainy day that I plummeted down a cliff was the day I thought I was going to die. The day that I thought Ren was going to get his way just because he was a monster. As I fell, I didn't close my eye, but I looked for the bottom. There was a river, but with how high my fall was, I would still die on impact. I remember looking down and wishing I could just land safely.

Something fuzzy had begun to tingle my nerves right about then, and when I looked at my hands, I was horrified to see them slowly disappearing, like some freak-show magic trick. Slowly, the world ate away at my body, and when I was still falling to my death, I vanished into thin air. In my mind, I had pictured where I wish I was: safely standing near the river in the chasm, unscathed. And soon enough, I was there, body gradually coming together like a puzzle made of fog. I couldn't believe it. I was like him. I was just another monster sent to stain this world.

But I never killed anyone. That was the distinctive difference between Ren and I, and I decided then that only one of us could live, and I knew it had to be me. I was a stain on humanity, but I was a much smaller stain than Ren. Somehow, I had to figure out my power and use it against that selfish brother of mine. As I stood there in the chasm, befuddled and clueless, I barely managed to hear stone rolling against stone, like a tomb opening.

I turned to face a couple of heads peering out from a wall of the ambiguous pit, blank eyes taking me in. They were human, at least I thought they were. Tentatively, they approached me, circling me like prey. There were tens of them and one of me, and my katana was nowhere in sight. The only thing to defend myself was a power I didn't understand. Finally, one of them spoke in a raspy voice, eyes looking at the lack of one of mine. The empty and crisp socket Ren left on my face was far more than ugly. "Welcome, Xavier Walker. We have been waiting on you for a long time."

They were human, but they talked like robots and moved like ghosts; swift on their feet and leaving no trace of their presence. Their leader explained that they've been living in this damp crack in the earth for years, waiting for people to wander so they could "help" them. I wanted to get as far away from the creeps as possible, until the leader spoke again. "You've been wanting to execute your brother. We've noted your deep hatred for him. Wouldn't you like to see him fall to his knees, slowly and excruciatingly?" These people, the "Seekers" they call themselves, used my wide-open vulnerability to use me as they wanted.

"I'd give my life for it," I had growled. "What do I have to do?"

The Seekers, who seemed more like alternative Sages living in rocks, didn't tell me much of anything. They claimed they would perform experiments and make me stronger so I could punish my brother for what he had done. I wish I could remember what they had done to me, but after every trial and test, they wiped my memory. Vaguely, I remember the terms "alternative strands," and "synthetic strings," being thrown around, but that's about it.

The one thing I will never forget, however, is waking up to a burning sensation. I roared so loud that I was surprised Ren didn't hear me from his dojo. I didn't know what the hell was happening to my body, or how this was supposed to make me stronger. I recall looking for a Seeker to demand some answers, and when I looked around, I could see perfectly. I had another eye.

"What the hell is this?" I muttered, poking at it and covering my other eye to make sure it was real and working.

"We've granted you a new ability," the lead Seeker claimed, eyeing me with soulless eyes of black. "This is your marking. With a new eye, you have a new power. Damage it, and you won't be able to completely control it."

From there, I worked day and night to become as powerful as possible. The ability I used as I fell down the abyss was something the Seekers called "vapor transportation;" the skill to dissolve my body into mist and appear anywhere I can see or have seen. Eventually, I honed this power to make me appear more like a mirage. Messing with my molecular substance is what allows Ren to sometimes move through me like I really am a ghost. Because I have the power to change the state of my molecules, I can also manipulate the ones nearest to me, making it impossible for people to see me unless I want to be seen by them. At the most, they'll see my shadow if I'm trying to remain conspicuous, but they'd have to be looking for me. And nobody looks for a dead man.

My given power took a bit more training to master, as it wasn't natural to me. The Seekers deemed it "fabrication," which allows me to change my appearance.

I learned about how strings worked and how they connected people to things and others. I studied Ren's strings, and Ren's life in general. I would lurk around the dojo, hearing him sob like a baby to the Sages, voicing all his fears and apologies that meant nothing to me. Sometimes, he'd catch sight of me in the corner of my eye. Every time, his breath would hitch and his eyes would widen. When he summoned the attention of a Sage, I would disappear to keep my existence a secret. That was how haunting him like a ghost began. Ren was convinced he had psychosis. He genuinely thought he had a psychological disorder because of me. I can't remember a prouder moment.

Despite my "death" being two years old, I disguised myself as an old man to tip of Asylum about Ren's crimes, as Japan would never sell out their beloved Dragon. I only learned about Asylum because I knew I wasn't the only one in the world who had to know about people like him, and I knew I couldn't be the only one who despised them. It took immense amounts of research and time until I pinpointed how to contact them.

I followed Ren to Asylum, but not into it. I refused to take chances of being locked up. I waited until he escaped. I knew he would. Ren could never stay still for long or he'd feel smothered like the demolitive flames he wielded. When he emerged, I was surprised at the pose he's rounded up. None of them made sense, and I knew Ren liked keeping his distance from people after I stumbled into a chasm.

Soon enough, I got to know all about them, and what Ren thought of them. I can tell there are moments when Ren thinks I'm really in his mind, and those are when he presumes I can read his thoughts. But really, when you spend two years of your life focused solely on one person, they become so easy to read and so easy to predict.

I almost enjoyed the break from studying Ren as I realized I had to learn all about five new people, too.

Elektra: silent, calloused, self-interested, and strong. She's would be a strong leader if she put others before herself, but she's just as bad as Ren. I see that look in her eyes; the look of a murderer.

Sarah: she seems sweet on the outside, but the scars marring her body are no joke. What psychopath would destroy themselves just to see others writhe in pain? She might even be worse than my demonic brother.

Leo: useless, unfocused, and deadweight. He serves no purpose in the group, and it's a wonder they even brought him along for anything besides comic relief. The moment he achieves anything big is the moment I actually die.

Kya: suppressed and composed, but definitely with a dark side. When those dogs were slaughtered in the cave they stayed in that first night, there was a shadowy look in her light eyes. The look that told me everything; she could've done something to those dogs that didn't involve their deaths.

They were an odd bunch, and I'm surprised Ren stayed with them. At least, I was until he chased after that water bender to a café. From there, it was painfully apparent to me: he cared for her. I doubt he knew it himself. And when he burned her at the observatory deck, it was music to my ears. Yet again, he's destroying the people who care for him most.

As for the memories that plague Ren on the pavilion, that's all him. I have no part in that. It's great having these powers, considering I'm using them for a good cause. Though I've found it quite annoying whenever Kya showed up. The closer she got to Ren, the clearer she could see me. Thank God, Ren decided to cast her aside.

Currently, I'm in a cab, using the medallion I stole from Leo and Sarah the night in Yokohama to get the driver to take me to my own home. I wonder if I stayed there, if I would be as worshipped as Ren. I don't want anyone's praise for being a monster, but it's just a thought. I'm not like Elektra.

As we get closer, I sigh. I meant everything I said to Kya since we met. When I saw her at the café, it was the opportune time to use her to get close to Ren, to remind him painfully of the Xavier Walker he knew, all while living under the name Alistair Azarias. But overtime, as I watched her interact with Ren and the others, I started to understand why she had no personal enemies. Her powers made her approachable and calm-inducing, but beneath that, she was genuine. She really had no intent on hurting anyone. So, what was her dark side all about?

I'm sure it had something to do with what Reaper said in the observatory when she came for Kya - something about using the dark strain. Reaper, who pulled me aside after Kya kissed me before getting in a cab, and proposed an engagement: money and answers for Kya's drugged presence.

I couldn't turn down answers. Vengeance for my father outweighed my own life, let alone the safety of Kya's. The information I received had something to do with the crazy old prophecy the Sages cooked up, as well as extensive backgrounds of all those travelling with my satanic brother. I was surprised most by Leo's story. With how he acts, I'd have never suspected the home life he came from.

Yet, despite the answers and money I received, I found myself riddled with guilt at betraying her trust. I know she felt my strings when we first encountered – even I know how pervasively ruined they are. But she ignored them and tried to get to know me. I've met numerous people in Japan while on the hunt for Malakai, but none of them wriggled as close to my true self as she did. I don't know exactly what she is to me. I don't quite have a crush on her, but I have an innate desire to make her smile. I don't consider her as a friend – she doesn't even know my real name – but maybe under other circumstances, we could become something like that.

The driver puts the car in park at the mouth of quartz stairs, leading to the familiar red arch. I'm angry. I wanted to meet Ren face-to-face, with Xavier's looks, to tell him I had come from the dead to put him in hell, where he belonged. I wanted to carve his eyes out, the last thing he sees being me covered in his own blood. Every time I thought of how he burned father and tried to get my mercy, I shook with rage. Every time I thought of what I'd do to Ren when I cornered him, my shaking eased and I found myself more motivated to take him down.

Now, I'm forced to act like some innocent bystander with unfortunate news. I start to shake again, furious at this first happenstance. But I remind myself that if I let someone as pure as Kya get whisked away by people as evil as Ren, then I am no less of a beast as he. Don't get me wrong: I don't care how low I have to stoop to give Ren what he's asking for, as long as it isn't as low as him.

I usher up the steps, urgent voices becoming clear to me. I pause before coming into view, listening to them.

"Sir," one of the Sages says. "We've lost Kya. She escaped us, and we haven't seen her since."

"You lost her?" Ren roars. "Just how incompetent are you?" He's furious. I love it.

"Ren, relax," Elektra blandly tells him, sounding as uncaring as always.

"Relax? You don't get to tell me to relax," he insists. Yeah, Elektra. Only Kya can do that.

"Whatever," she grumbles. "In other news, my search team saw Cerberus snooping around some old bunker along the edge of the city, a couple miles out. It looked deserted."

"A bunker?" Ren echoes. "What the hell would they want with a bunker?" Now, his voice is quieter, presumably as he launches into thought. I have to give him credit where it's needed: Ren is a bastard who killed his parents and attacked me, but when he wants to be, he's a good leader.

Setting my jaw in determination, I finish trotting up the stairs, walking right into my own home. The first person who sees me is Leo. "Hey..." he lowly says to himself, as if he can't believe I'm here. Then, "Hey! Hey, that's the asshole who stole the medallion!"

Everyone's attention snaps to me, but I only stare at Ren. His face is stoic and tentative. Then his jaw feathers when he recognizes me. I know he must despise me for stealing Kya away during his celebration, so is he grimacing at Alistair, or can he see the person beneath him? "Why the hell are you here?"

Definitely pissed at Alistair. If he saw Xavier, the reaction would have been a lot more explosive. "They took Kya," I blurt. "I know she's friends with you guys, so I came to the Dragon for help." Jesus, I hate having to exonerate this asshole. "The people you call Reaper and Cerberus took her. I don't know where."

Everyone looks to Ren, as if they idolize him like the rest of Japan. They're all fooled. "How do you know? Did you see her?" His tone hasn't changed – it's still steely and unforgiving, but his face has changed. He's concerned. The only time I've ever seen him look like this was when Father was taken to the Sages' infirmary, and when he sobbed as my eye dribbled down his arm. He really cherishes her. Dumb fool can't even express his care.

"I was there," I answer. "We don't have much time." AKA don't ask me questions because you're not going to like my answers.

Sarah speaks next, voice meek. "He's right. We have to go get Kya."

"I agree," Ren instantly snaps, already marching towards the stairs.

"Ren, stop," Elektra halts. "It could be a trap to capture the rest of us."

Ren grunts. "Probably is." He tries to step around her, but Elektra won't allow it.

"Think, Ren. We need a plan or we're going to play right into their hands."

"No, we don't. Step aside."

"No, you step down," she demands, voice stern. "I'll go. Reaper is after me for the most part, anyways." Elektra brings about some good points, but when Ren is emotional, he stops at nothing.

"I'm going, too," Ren states, voice growing as firm. "That's not an option."

"What if something happens to us? We're no good to her dead or captured," Elektra says, shouting now.

"If we're all together then at least she won't be so scared!" Ren shouts. "No matter what pain someone's going through, it's always better when someone's there with you." Right when he finishes speaking, his fierce expression drops. Replacing it is shock. Ren's finally realized he's a hypocrite, because despite his own pain, he pushed Kya away. Sure, he thought it was for the best, but everything he just said went against that. His recent pain has been coming from Kya's pain, but he's finally understanding that maybe closing her out of his life is only hurting her more. In a whisper, he adds, "I realize that now."

Elektra huffs and steps aside. "I think you're a total bonehead who's going to get us all killed, but I'm only letting you pass because your Sages are looking at me like street meat."

Coolly, he nods to her and proceeds to me. Aggressively, he grabs me by the shirt collar and hefts me close to him. Those evil, glowing eyes of him are pulsing uncontrollably. "I know you were with her when she was taken. Call it intuition. Call it instinct, but I know. And you're the jackass who let her get taken away. If we can't fix this, then her suffering is on you. Got it?" Though I'm taller than him by a few inches, he still manages to look down on me.

I clench my hands into fists, my vexation beginning to get the best of me. I can't let my unresolved issues get noticed by the others. One thing I'm fortunate for with all my tattered strings is that Leo can't see through the mess. He's been practicing his mind reading to control how many thoughts he filters, but not how to get his way around a jumbled disaster like me.

"Got it?" Ren seethes when I don't respond, teeth clenching so hard he might just snap his jaw.

Through gritted teeth, I hiss, "Got it."

"Good," he utters, voice taking on a guttural texture. He shoves past me, ramming into me with his shoulder before taking off down the stairs. Elektra pays me no mind as she silently follows behind him, adversity evident in her disgusted expression. A couple of Sages follow behind her, then Sarah, who gives me a sad smile.

Leo walks right up to me, crosses his arms over his tiny chest, and cranes his head directly up to meet my eyes. "Eh-hem!" he sounds, clearing his throat. He extends a hand the size of a doll towards me, flexing his fingers.

Mutely, I look at him, unamused with his ruse.

Frustrated, he grouches, "I said eh-hem!"

"Great," I dully remark. "And I said..." I let the silence consume us for a moment.

"Oh, so funny," Leo snarks, placing his hands on his hips and examining me. "Where do you keep it, huh? In your pocket? Up your sleeve? In your briefs? Wherever it is, I want it back. Or else."

He's talking about the Dragon medallion I swiped from his elfish face. "Or else what? You'll hit me? Oh, God, please...anything but that." My tone is flat and monotonous, bored with Leo's attempt at a threat. The kid is skinnier than paper. What can he possibly do?

Leo narrows his dark brown eyes at me and leans in close. He whispers, "I'll strip."

Repulsed, I dig into my pants pocket. "Jesus Christ," I mumble, slapping the coin into his palm. Eager to get away from this freak, I speed away, catching up with the others along the stairs.

Leo chuckles behind me. "That's right, buddy! Keep runnin'!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

660K 27.4K 45
(NOT EDITED AT ALL) (LOTS OF GRAMMAR ERRORS) (I was young when I wrote this lol) "You're special, fire boy," the man grins, "you and the others are...
678 29 29
I am not your typical 16 year-old girl going around obsessing over boy bands and clothes, I can't obsess over those things on a daily when everyday I...
18.1K 1.5K 48
It started with a portal from the sky. Earth was out into chaos, talking about aliens and how our world is going to be taken over. It then became wor...
18.4K 1.3K 76
5 handsome hot popular guys 3 mysterious kisses An epic love triangle 1 girl And a dangerous Supernatural power. Love doesn't come easy, when your de...